PDA

View Full Version : Gary Lineker

theonlywayisup
17-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Gary Lineker agrees to huge pay cut from his £1.75m BBC salary after fury over axing licences for OAPs.

Ridiculous salary to pay someone to talk about football.

Cataplana
17-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Gary Lineker agrees to huge pay cut from his £1.75m BBC salary after fury over axing licences for OAPs.

It's probably the going rate for the anchor of a flagship prime time TV show.

Saying he just talks about football, is like saying Lewis Hamilton just drives cars, or Ussain Bolt is quite good at running

They are paid for being the best at what they do.

DetroitHibs
17-09-2019, 06:51 AM
I don’t it’s ridiculous. He’s good at what he does, why shouldn’t he be paid. Actors make hundreds of millions for movies, no different. Sure they could get some no mark and pay him £50,000 a year, but the quality will be way down.

bingo70
17-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Do the bbc pay Gary Linekar more than they pay to Scottish football then?

That used to be said about Alan Hanson, I’ve no idea how much they pay for right to show our highlights now though?

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Would be nice to say good on him. Market rates apply to commentators as well as players and managers. If hugely paid players in a time of national crisis... no wait I’m holding my breath. at least in Brasil many of the stars give something back I think it’s called conscious but there’s real problems over there but the gulf between mega rich and poor in this country is widening.

500miles
17-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Should've went and worked for Sky instead. Would have got twice the money.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Good for him. Not a ridiculous salary because they, a massive business, obviously value him highly. He wouldn't be getting payed that much if he didn't earn them much more.

Beefster
17-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Should've went and worked for Sky instead. Would have got twice the money.

Doesn’t he still work for BT Sport?

worcesterhibby
17-09-2019, 07:59 AM
BBC invest less in their whole Scottish football production than they do in Gary Lineker.

It's fair enough that they don't pay "over the odds" for the rights to broadcast the highlights, but spending much. much less on production values, cameras and staff means the highlights programme is very poor compared with MOTD. Put simply It is selling Scottish licence payers short.

jeffers
17-09-2019, 08:14 AM
All about opinions but I think he's a terrible presenter and that salary is an absolute joke. The amount of times he asks a question then looks away as if checking autocue and not paying attention to the answer. And don't get me started on the time they tried him presenting the Open, his interview of Jack Nicklaus was embarrassing.

I'm sure he'll survive with his BT Sport and Walkers crisps money.

wookie70
17-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Ridiculous salary. No-one is worth that type of money for doing a job in the entertainment industry. I don't watch MOTD that often but if I do I tape it and then fast forward through the analysis.

CMac1988
17-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Crazy amount of money but they obviously felt he was worth that with respect to the show and it's viewing figures etc...

The problem though is that the BBC ultimately answers to license payers (or should) so it's hard to justify salaries of that amount in today's current climate of equality etc. along with cuts to services. We should honestly abolish the TV License as it's draconian in the face of modern streaming services and other subscription based services.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 09:07 AM
He’s kind of the face of BBC sport. Can’t see that big a deal tbh.

Cataplana
17-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Dutch Auction time, I'll do the job for £500,000 a year and an appearance on Pointless Celebrities.

ancient hibee
17-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Don't think he's ever had an original thought but is a master of stating the bleeding obvious.

Onceinawhile
17-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Don't think he's ever had an original thought but is a master of stating the bleeding obvious.

He doesn't really state the obvious though, he's not an analyst, he's paid to facilitate the analysts and it's a job he does very well.

MOTD is probably one of shows that brings in the BBC's highest ratings, so it's main presenter is always going to be well paid.

Jones28
17-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Gary Lineker is worth every penny. Face facts, more people will tune in for MOTD than will ever watch a Scottish football match on the BBC.

Steven79
17-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Good for him. Not a ridiculous salary because they, a massive business, obviously value him highly. He wouldn't be getting payed that much if he didn't earn them much more.

How does he earn them any money?

Rumble de Thump
17-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Nobody watched Match of the Day for its presenter. They want to watch the football highlights. The rest is just noise.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 10:18 AM
How does he earn them any money?

Because the things he presents get very high ratings? He definitely contributes positively to the BBC's coffers.

Steven79
17-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Because the things he presents get very high ratings? He definitely contributes positively to the BBC's coffers.

You do realise that if a show on the BBC gets no viewers or 20 million they get the same amount of money?

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 10:25 AM
You do realise that if a show on the BBC gets no viewers or 20 million they get the same amount of money?

You do realise that is absolute rubbish? They sell their shows to other broadcasting companies, the more popular those shows are, the more they sell for.

Montford
17-09-2019, 10:32 AM
**** the BBC. Scotland should be getting 8% of the national spend on English football. We get just over £1 million
We should get circa £16million
Why the SFA haven’t called this out is an absolute joke.
Second class citizens and it seems the BBC spend more on Women’s football, cricket and other English sports rather than support the game north of the border

Torto7
17-09-2019, 10:37 AM
You do realise that is absolute rubbish? They sell their shows to other broadcasting companies, the more popular those shows are, the more they sell for.

And Lineker has nothing to do with that. You could put a mop in the presenters chair and MOTD would get high ratings. I also don't think they can sell MOTD to anyone else as it's the premier league who have the rights overseas etc.

I can't be doing with sycophants bootlicking someone who gets paid a lot with the They're worth every penny guff. I remember back pre 08 when Goodwin was the apple in the eye of the Edinburgh financial types and being told he was worth every penny.

Phil MaGlass
17-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Im still puzzled at why you guys pay a tv licence, a licence to have a tv, wtf. I buy my tv and then choose a package from a multitude of providers including internet, hundreds of channels including bbc, sports channels that provide live english games, rugby formula 1 and loads of foreign tv. That for 40 euros pm. No licence needed, dont think any other country keeps you hostage for a licence.

Steven79
17-09-2019, 10:43 AM

They can't sell that show anywhere else in the world as they don't own the rights to do so.

Please check out the facts before posting absolute drivel...

Michael
17-09-2019, 10:44 AM
And Lineker has nothing to do with that. You could put a mop in the presenters chair and MOTD would get high ratings. I also don't think they can sell MOTD to anyone else as it's the premier league who have the rights overseas etc.

I can't be doing with sycophants bootlicking someone who gets paid a lot with the They're worth every penny guff. I remember back pre 08 when Goodwin was the apple in the eye of the Edinburgh financial types and being told he was worth every penny.

People watch MoTD for more than just the goals. If the production, presenters and pundits didn't matter then no one would watch it as the highlights are on YouTube.

Gary Lineker does a very difficult job very well.

Steven79
17-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Im still puzzled at why you guys pay a tv licence, a licence to have a tv, wtf. I buy my tv and then choose a package from a multitude of providers including internet, hundreds of channels including bbc, sports channels that provide live english games, rugby formula 1 and loads of foreign tv. That for 40 euros pm. No licence needed, dont think any other country keeps you hostage for a licence.

We live in a dictatorial state that makes people pay for a service that could well be a subscription service at this point in time to brainwash the masses with their propaganda.

It would make places like the Soviet Union & China look on with envy at this way of state control.

Torto7
17-09-2019, 10:49 AM
People watch MoTD for more than just the goals. If the production, presenters and pundits didn't matter then no one would watch it as the highlights are on YouTube.

Gary Lineker does a very difficult job very well.

A very difficult job. Geez peace. He's a jug eared goof with crap patter. You could put Eilidh Barbour in as the presenter and she'd do a superior job for a lot less.

Yorkshire HFC
17-09-2019, 10:52 AM

How much do you think he should be paid?

(As if it's our business)

Callum_62
17-09-2019, 10:53 AM
It's not linkers fault this BBC offered him that much

We would all lap that up if in similar position

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
17-09-2019, 10:53 AM
I think Lineker is very good at his job. Of course I don't in any way think he is worth his salary. But I don't get the hate he is receiving from some.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 11:05 AM
They can't sell that show anywhere else in the world as they don't own the rights to do so.

Please check out the facts before posting absolute drivel...

Right but high ratings for that show makes their business bigger and stronger, meaning they can make other shows, sell other shows etc. You can seriously believe he makes the BBC no money at all and they earn the same if a program gets no vewiers as if it gets 20 million. Surely you aren't that daft.

They also advertise their other shows before and after prime shows like MOTD. I mean, this really isn't difficult to understand.

BBC make a good bit from Linekers talents and he is well compensated.

Kojock
17-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Surely he would be better accepting the full amount then donate the percentage he was willing to reduce his salary by to help the OAPs to pay their licence. Otherwise the BBC will use the money saved to pay more to some other pundit to talk cr@p. Alan Shearer for one.

CMurdoch
17-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Don't get the BBC haters.
The BBC is brilliant and has always been.
The licence fee has always been a good deal.
BBC TV & Radio produce quality rather than fluff.
All Pay for view, for profit, shareholder, TV is the devil.
People are so short sighted. Can only see today and the deal that is in front of them.

The BBC who brought me the John Peel show, Bob Crampsey, David Begg commentaries, Sportsound, BBC 6 music, great documentaries, Play for Today, Wimbledon, The Open etc.
Sky on the other hand out bid everyone for every sporting event they wanted like a big greedy ****, held us all to ransom, totally ****ed the football market for Scottish football teams and sucked vast sums of money out of our pockets.
If the BBC goes all you have is the worst blood sucking capitalist TV stations.
The massive businesses kill the opposition and then **** everyone up the arse with the"going rate" which brings us back to Lineker.

Gary Lineker is good at what he does but he is overpayed given the honour of being on BBC. Performers always worked for the BBC for reasons other than the money. However, you could easily argue that he is not overpayed if you look at the salaries Gabby Yorath & Claire Balding are paid for ruining sports programmes with their trite uninformed hiya drivel. The late Ron Pickering and the not late Brendan Foster must be disgusted with only Steve Cram now giving athletics the gravitas of presentation the sport deserves.

Yorkshire HFC
17-09-2019, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=CMurdoch;5930028]Don't get the BBC haters.

Totally agree - people who complain about it should experience what other countries have - I can't think of many better ways to spend £12 every month.

allmodcons
17-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Don't get the BBC haters.
BBC TV & Radio produce quality rather than fluff.
Pay for view profit, shareholder, all business TV is the devil.
People are so short sighted. Can only see the deal that is in front of them.

The BBC who brought me the John Peel show, Bob Crampsey, David Begg commentaries, Sportsound, BBC 6 music, great documentaries, Play for Today, Wimbledon, The Open etc.
Sky on the other hand bought every sporting event they wanted like a big greedy ****, held us all to ransom, totally ****ed the football market for Scottish football teams and sucked vast sums of money out of our pockets.
If the BBC goes all you have is the worst blood sucking capitalist TV stations.
The massive businesses kill the opposition and then **** everyone up the arse with the"going rate" which brings us back to Lineker.

Gary Lineker is good at what he does but he is overpayed given the honour of being on BBC. Performers always worked for the BBC for reasons other than the money. However, you could easily argue that he is not overpayed if you look at the salaries Gabby Yorath & Claire Balding are paid for ruining sports programmes with their trite uninformed hiya drivel. The late Ron Pickering and the not late Brendan Foster must be disgusted with only Steve Cram now giving athletics the gravitas of presentation the sport deserves.

I think you're getting a bit carried away with yourself here CM.

In the early days the BBC was so good at propaganda that Joseph Goebbels used it as a model for Hitler's Nazi propaganda machine.

You might expect the Corporation to produce some good programming in the near 100 years they've been in existence, particularly so, given that they had a monopoly on the TV screen for so long but I think it's fair to say that they've also produced some amount of guff and, as an aside, the budget they 'give' to Scottish Football is an absolute joke.

With regard to Gary Lineker he is massively overpaid for what he does, whether he does it well or not is not relevant. I don't see people turning off MOTD when it's presented by Dan Walker or anyone else half decent for that matter.

For what it's worth, I don't subscribe to Sky TV but at least I can opt in or out as I please. I have no option with the BBC and genuinely grudge seeing my TV licence fee wasted on former footballers and worse still failed reporters and politicians like Andrew Neil and Micheal Portillo.

Cataplana
17-09-2019, 12:24 PM
We live in a dictatorial state that makes people pay for a service that could well be a subscription service at this point in time to brainwash the masses with their propaganda.

It would make places like the Soviet Union & China look on with envy at this way of state control.

I think you have over egged that. Speak to any immigrant and they will tell you what state control is.

The very fact you are able to make your claim is evidence enough it isn't as bad as other places and in the world.

ekhibee
17-09-2019, 12:42 PM
I think Lineker is very good at his job. Of course I don't in any way think he is worth his salary. But I don't get the hate he is receiving from some.

This. He was a top class player and a good ambassador for the sport, I've not got any problem with him presenting MOTD although agree that he, like a lot of other celebrities, is overpaid. He doesn't take himself too seriously too, and in my eyes that's a good thing.

H18S NX
17-09-2019, 12:59 PM
I think we should be allowed to opt out of the bbc programmes and licence fees,it is foisted upon us whether we like it or not.

The Baldmans Comb
17-09-2019, 01:38 PM
There is next to nothing on the BBC that interests me or I can't get elsewhere and I haven't watched it in literally years.

I concluded years ago that BBC HQ in England and its subsidiary BBC Scotland reflect Scotland the way they would like it to be rather than the reality of what Scotland is really like.

Linekar is an excellent presenter and an interesting and progressive person but if the BBC makes the choice of paying him £1.7m while paying £2m annually for the rights to Scottish Football then its only fair I also make my own choices regarding paying license fees for owning a TV set.

Its a very weird tax in this day and age and of course totally unenforceable.

calumhibee1
17-09-2019, 01:54 PM
I’m actually surprised he doesn’t get paid more.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 02:04 PM
I’m actually surprised he doesn’t get paid more.

Probably doubles up on BT.

CMurdoch
17-09-2019, 11:21 PM
I think you're getting a bit carried away with yourself here CM.

In the early days the BBC was so good at propaganda that Joseph Goebbels used it as a model for Hitler's Nazi propaganda machine.

You might expect the Corporation to produce some good programming in the near 100 years they've been in existence, particularly so, given that they had a monopoly on the TV screen for so long but I think it's fair to say that they've also produced some amount of guff and, as an aside, the budget they 'give' to Scottish Football is an absolute joke.

With regard to Gary Lineker he is massively overpaid for what he does, whether he does it well or not is not relevant. I don't see people turning off MOTD when it's presented by Dan Walker or anyone else half decent for that matter.

For what it's worth, I don't subscribe to Sky TV but at least I can opt in or out as I please. I have no option with the BBC and genuinely grudge seeing my TV licence fee wasted on former footballers and worse still failed reporters and politicians like Andrew Neil and Micheal Portillo.

They could certainly save a load of cash and improve Match of the Day by having insightful sports journalists on alongside Lineker rather than the tedious ex footballers Jenas, Shearer etc who always have me reaching for the fast forward button.

Moody Blues
18-09-2019, 05:08 AM
All about opinions but I think he's a terrible presenter and that salary is an absolute joke. The amount of times he asks a question then looks away as if checking autocue and not paying attention to the answer. And don't get me started on the time they tried him presenting the Open, his interview of Jack Nicklaus was embarrassing.

I'm sure he'll survive with his BT Sport and Walkers crisps money.

Well said. Dont get me started about BBC salaries. Cant stand Linekar.

Phil MaGlass
18-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Well said. Dont get me started about BBC salaries. Cant stand Linekar.

Or how the unbiased bbc took sides during the Scottish referendum. *******s

HappyAsHellas
18-09-2019, 08:21 AM
You pay pennies a day for everything available on the BBC and yet some would rather do away with it so we can watch adverts every ten minutes. It is still by far the best value for money out there. Be careful what you wish for.