timewilltell
15-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Should have kept Bartley.......

Paloschi
15-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Yep, he has baws

3pm
15-09-2019, 08:12 PM
The biggest farce about him and Milligan going was there was no replacement lined up. Unless it was the clown who signed for Aberdeen.

Hibeesforever
15-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Should have kept Bartley.......

It will define the omnishambles that is Heckingbottom. Marv, simply won the ball and gave it to the ball players...who in this current team can do that, nobody! Poor management.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Still don’t think letting Bartley go was an issue. Legend but he’d had his time and hadn't really contributed last year. What we did, or didn’t sign, was the issue.

Vault Boy
15-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Marv is 33 and had a depreciating role in our team for a couple of seasons. Really great at his role and such a big personality in the dressing room, but I think the biggest issue was not suitably replacing him, rather than letting him go at that stage. He wanted first team football and wasn't getting it with Hibs.

Loved him whilst he was here though, what a player.

PH91
15-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Imo hibs were right to let him go. He struggled in games he played last season. Not bringing in appropriate midfielders to replace him, however, is an unbelievable failing.

Frazerbob
15-09-2019, 08:24 PM
I love Bartley but he really struggled last year. The mistake was not letting him go, it was letting both him and Milligan go without replacing them. Milligan is exactly what the team is missing. He was far better than credited IMHO.

Diclonius
15-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Should have replaced Bartley.

The Harp Awakes
15-09-2019, 08:26 PM
The biggest farce about him and Milligan going was there was no replacement lined up. Unless it was the clown who signed for Aberdeen.

Correct. Completely nonsensical. Recruitment has been a complete shambles.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Should have replaced Bartley.

This is correct. It was marvs time to go.

Pretty Boy
15-09-2019, 08:29 PM
It was time for him to go.

Letting both him and Milligan leave with no replacement lined up or no obvious way of playing without such a player is the real issue. The comments about us being 'soft' suggest at least one person didn't foresee this being a problem.

Jones28
15-09-2019, 08:40 PM
I think it was fine for Marve to be let go, his time at Hibs had come to a natural conclusion. Ojo was meant to be the replacement but when that went south there didn’t seem to be a plan B for an enforcer type midfielder. We’re now left with tidy ball players (ooh er) but no steel. This is not a derby ready team.

Centre Hawf
15-09-2019, 08:48 PM
I think it was the right time for Bartley to go but in hindsight I really wish we kept him if this was how we were going to build our team. The Swedish lad might fill his role and I still have some hopes for Vela going off previous from what I've seen during his time at Bolton but so far we are soft and look disinterested. I think Marv would have whipped a few into shape.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2019, 08:49 PM
As others have said it was Marvs time to go

Loved the Big Man

Milligan was toast at Parkhead but after the Asia Cup came back batteries recharged

Apart from his reported high wage I think he would have been gutted that the club let him go as he appeared to be settled here

Cest La Vie!

3pm
15-09-2019, 09:01 PM
I’ll argue against the majority and say he could have played another year.

Bobby's Cinema
15-09-2019, 09:07 PM
100% agree.

Look at our bench now at the very least he would have been a capable squad player and a good option to have.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2019, 09:12 PM

I hear ye!

Bartley would put his body on the line for the club

I remember in Feb versus Aberdeen his leg was strapped up and the Sheep were just running past him

Mickey Weir told the story that when he was let go he picked up his boots walked out of the Stadium and just sat in his car and cried

I imagine Big Marv would be like that

Besides his goal scoring ratio was crap. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
15-09-2019, 09:20 PM
I’ll argue against the majority and say he could have played another year.[emoji106]

Count me in. Look at us now.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
15-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Easily. He’s still playing for a team with much worse players around him that are doing considerably better than us.

FilipinoHibs
15-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Good as Bartley was and Milligan remember was patchy both had lost their legs. Agree we needed replacements. Was hoping Vela would fill that role. Still time.

Ozyhibby
15-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Nope. That’s like saying we should have kept Fenlon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3pm
15-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Not in the slightest ma man.

lord bunberry
15-09-2019, 10:02 PM

In what way is it like saying that? Bartley never let us down.

CMac1988
15-09-2019, 10:18 PM

You get a torrid time for being on the negative side but I find myself rarely disagreeing with much of your posts. However in this case I'm of the opinion if you're not going to replace him then you shouldn't let him go. His legs had started to go and he's lost a yard of pace but there's no one in the current team capable of breaking up the game. I'd have kept him for another season and used him sparingly when needed... It just so happens that our midfield is powder puff in defence and lacking in heart which is something he had in abundance, so he'd be in my team most weeks during spells like this.

Smartie
15-09-2019, 10:30 PM
The fact that I think we'd be about 5x the team we currently are if we had him in it is enough to suggest we should have kept him.

Paisley Hibby
15-09-2019, 10:35 PM
You get a torrid time for being on the negative side but I find myself rarely disagreeing with much of you post. However in this case I'm of the opinion if you're not going to replace him then you shouldn't let him go. His legs had started to go and he has lost a yard if pace but there's no one in the side capable of breaking up the game. I'd have kept him for another season and used his sparingly when needed... It just so happens that our midfield is powder puff in defence and lacking in heart which is something he had in abundance, so he'd be in my team most weeks during spells like this.
Well said. Sums it up nicely. That Heckingbottom couldn't see that speaks volumes.

Paisley Hibby
15-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Easily. He’s still playing for a team with much worse players around him that are doing considerably better than us.

Spot on. Fontaine also doing a good job at Ross County. We should have hung on to both.

Liam6270
15-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Could Block not do the Bartley role?

Jdawg
15-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Manages to play 90 mins every week for Livi and they are doing better than us. They even had a go against Rangers at ibrox. I remember when we used to try and do that.

CloudSquall
16-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Would've kept him for another year if a replacement hadn't been lined up and secured, which clearly was the case.

SunshineOnLeith
16-09-2019, 12:15 AM

He could have but didn't Livingston give him a 3 year contract?