PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

Torto7
15-09-2019, 01:09 PM
We've been laying into our new signings since they've come in but I wonder if we're missing a deeper problem? Hanlon had regressed back into the Hanlon pre Stubbs. His hesitancy and lack of physicality is being exposed on a weekly basis. Is anyone else concerned that the squad beyond Heckingbottom's signings needs major surgery. The form before PH came in as well.

Add in Gray and his injury problems, big Daz ditto. Mallan not setting the heather on fire. Kamberi/Slivka/Marciano unlikely to be here next season.

There's a big job not just immediately but also on the horizon for the club.

I hope I'm bedwetting and its all Heckingbottoms fault rather than a deeper malaise and with a new gaffer we're able to get the out of form players firing on all cylinders.

Thoughts?

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-09-2019, 01:13 PM
I have been very critical of him for a couple of years now but get shot down by happy clappers as he's a "Hibby" of course he is but it's really time we replaced him, long overdue on your points.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Needs dropped and has done for a while.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Is he still playing with an injury?

Allant1981
15-09-2019, 01:16 PM
The attempted pass to mallan yesterday was horrendous, he has not been playing well for a while now and needs dropped, jackson and porteous should be the CH's going forward now but I'd be amazed if he does actually get dropped

Stokesy's on fire
15-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Hanlon is a fantastic player on his day but at the moment he is all lost at sea and a bit of a confidence player

Torto7
15-09-2019, 01:30 PM
My concerns are the length of contracts these guys are on and the drain on resources. Yes they are legends but sentimentality in football should be the domain of fans. The club needs to be ruthless.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Hanlon is a fantastic player on his day but at the moment he is all lost at sea and a bit of a confidence player

"Fantastic "? Steady...

Hibeesforever
15-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Hanlon is the weakest link in the defence, I saw that again on Saturday. Jackson and Porteous for me.

stantonsboots
15-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Hanlon has been poor since the turn of the year in my opinion? Doesn't make him a bad player but a good player playing badly? hope he regains some form soon, but in the meantime he should be dropped.

Iggy Pope
15-09-2019, 01:40 PM
I’ve lost patience with Paul and it’s making me as unhappy as all the rest going on right now

J-C
15-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Paul's a died in the wool Hibby and I think maybe the pressure of being a senior player is getting to him a bit, he's possibly trying too hard to make things happen, whatever it is he's certainly regressed since he was called up for the Scotland squad by Mackay.

NC1875
15-09-2019, 01:50 PM
You can’t have an opinion of Hanlon on this forum unless it’s a positive one.

BoomtownHibees
15-09-2019, 01:53 PM

What about the ones in this thread?

S4uzee
15-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Without mcgregor next week I just can’t see us being able to handle ikpeazu

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Needs replaced. Showed nothing that a captain should show on the pitch yesterday. Gave away a goal again and didn’t look like he gave a toss. Time to move him on.

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 01:55 PM
He’s went back to being the Hanlon of old for me. He needs dropped ASAP. His total lack of composure on the ball worries the hell out of me whenever he’s in possession.

Smartie
15-09-2019, 01:57 PM
I've stuck up for him throughout his entire career but he's been playing poorly for a sustained period now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season as he looked like he wa playing through injury but he can't have that excuse now - and he's keeping other players out the team which he presumably wouldn't do if he was injured.

No idea what is up with him but he's like a different player and not in a good way.

MrRobot
15-09-2019, 02:06 PM
been murder for ages.

Sioux
15-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Hanlon has been poor since the turn of the year in my opinion? Doesn't make him a bad player but a good player playing badly? hope he regains some form soon, but in the meantime he should be dropped.

A player playing badly for 9+ months is a bad player.

thegaffer12
15-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Porteous?

we are hibs
15-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Hes 29. These should be his best years as a defender. He should be dropped.

Scotty Leither
15-09-2019, 03:14 PM
What about Porteous and Ambrose?

We could loan out Newell and Doidge to finance Efe's wages.

Albanian Hibs
15-09-2019, 03:15 PM

If he was that fantastic he wouldn't be a hibs player

familyman
15-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Said this before the defence main players are not getting any younger and Paul has been out of sorts since season start ..
He is limited in what he does well and long diagonal passes are not his strength either ...In the absence of Milligan is he being asked to do too much?.. seems to me we expect him to cover all the gaps and he is being rattled too often and chasing shadows ..missing that extra yard now and not seeing events around him so well ..I have always admired Paul ever since he was a young Hibs player but it seems inevitable that he can no longer perform as he did 2 ,3 years ago...
It is the manager who picks the players so cannot blame Paul H for that.The absence of a holding player has added to Pauls troubles I feel.

tamig
15-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Hanlon was getting touted for a Scotland cap not so long ago. And deservedly so imo. I’m not sure he’s fully recovered from his latest injury and was maybe rushed back too soon. Now that Porteous is back its probably time for him to be taken out of the firing line for a bit. He’s had a very poor 2019.

Brightside
15-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Christ he gets more stick than probably any other player!

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-09-2019, 03:38 PM
My concerns are the length of contracts these guys are on and the drain on resources. Yes they are legends but sentimentality in football should be the domain of fans. The club needs to be ruthless.

Unfortunately true.

3pm
15-09-2019, 04:00 PM
I wouldn’t write off Hanlon yet.

He’ll come good again. He, and the defence generally, are not helped by the midfield but more importantly, I am still not convinced he is fully fit.

Unseen work
15-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Is Hanlon ever fully fit? Iv been reading for years that he’s carrying an injury as soon as his performance turn poor.

SMAXXA
15-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Definitely does not. I like him he’s a great guy and been a great player for Hibs but even I can put that aside and say I think he’s been poor for a good bit of the last year or so. Anyone that reads my posts knows I don’t slate players new or old and will praise where I see it is deserved but also criticise when I think they have been poor no sentiments. I might be wrong but that’s how I see it good or bad. If he had been one of The managers new signings he would be getting hung out to dry that I have no doubt.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 04:38 PM
If he had been one of The managers new signings he would be getting hung out to dry that I have no doubt.

You could say that about a few of them at the moment. IMO, some of the players are getting away with murder, with all the abuse being aimed at Heckingbottom. Guys like Hanlon and Stevenson, with 700 or 800 games between them should be stepping up and trying to drag the rest of them along but they don’t have the character to do it.

truehibernian
15-09-2019, 04:58 PM
You could say that about a few of them at the moment. IMO, some of the players are getting away with murder, with all the abuse being aimed at Heckingbottom. Guys like Hanlon and Stevenson, with 700 or 800 games between them should be stepping up and trying to drag the rest of them along but they don’t have the character to do it.

Hanlon's best seasons came against weaker sides and players in the Scottish Championship - admittedly the 2016 and 2017 season he was in good form - however he is very poor and despite the service he has given the club, needs moved on. Lewis is a wee braveheart who like Paul has been a terrific servant to the club and never lets the side down with heart and effort. He's also consistent. What he's never had however is a real challenge and someone pushing him for the left back berth - he's one to keep purely because of his reliability but we need a taller, more penetrative left back. For all Lewy's bravery on the ball, he rarely wants to commit and get past a man, rather he comes inside looking to retain possession and thus attacks can stall.

Scott Allan has been extremely disappointing too, however much of that is down to the sheer lack of quality in midfield around him.

NC1875
15-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Behave! That’s nonsense.

He’s been bang average far more times that he’s been good for Hibs but we’ll not go there again. I had god knows how many people telling me I know nothing about football when I said it pre season.

Glad other people are starting to see it too. Not good enough, along with many others unfortunately.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 05:23 PM

No he doesn’t.

People take it personal if it’s Hanlon or Stevenson though for some reason.

SMAXXA
15-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Behave! That’s nonsense.

He’s been bang average far more times that he’s been good for Hibs but we’ll not go there again. I had god knows how many people telling me I know nothing about football when I said it pre season.

Glad other people are starting to see it too. Not good enough, along with many others unfortunately.

I disagree with that he’s had more good games than bad and deserved the respect from punters like us

Lang Toun hibby
15-09-2019, 05:38 PM
The problem is that Hanlon is no captain or leader. With Gray out more than in we need a strong personality.

sixtwo
15-09-2019, 05:44 PM
I’d persevere with PH.

Him, Lewis, Rocky, Horgan, mallan, kamberi, porteous, Allan, Shaw

All of them need to start next week. They need to huddle up and say ‘ ****ing forget what that we dick said in the changing room, we will go out and Fight, we will fight every inch and press hard and fast! We will not give those ****s a chance to catch their breath!!

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 05:45 PM
I disagree with that he’s had more good games than bad and deserved the respect from punters like us

Only so long he can continue because of goodwill. He’s a definite weak link at the moment and I don’t even think he’s good for the development of RP.

ancient hibee
15-09-2019, 05:47 PM
He doesn’t have McGinn in front of him and his form has slipped steadily since the beginning of last season.

sixtwo
15-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Could have had a Mcgeough

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 05:56 PM
I have been very critical of him for a couple of years now but get shot down by happy clappers as he's a "Hibby" of course he is but it's really time we replaced him, long overdue on your points.

I have also been shot down on numerous occasions over Hanlon. People seemed to think that because he loves the club , tries his best and all the Mr Hibs crap that's been spouted , he is exempt from getting stick..

Paul hanlon is beconing Colin Murdock. whenever he makes a mistake , we usually end up in losing a goal.. Quicker he is out of the team the better...

California-Hibs
15-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Needs dropped, definitely a big part of our recent problems.

Smartie
15-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Hanlon was excellent for a few years prior to our relegation and I thought he might have been in with a shout of a cap at that stage as he was more the right age for one then than he is now. The point has been made a few times that if he hadn't been injured we might not have gone down as our problems that year weren't defensive and certainly not with our first choice defenders.

He was great in the Championship, a big part of our cup winning story and then I thought he was a huge part of our excellent team during the second half of the 1st season back up. Ambrose gets most of the plaudits but Hanlon was also top notch at bringing the ball out and attacking from the left of our defence.

I don't think his downturn in form can be as simple as McGinn and McGeouch leaving but if we've got a guy who plays well with a good midfield in front of him and pish with a pish midfield in front of him then I'd suggest that dropping him isn't the answer - getting a decent midfield back fixes the problem.

He has been poor last season and this though, I suspect he'd admit to that himself.

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 06:02 PM
When Hibs start with Paul Hanlon and Stevie Mallan , we are effectively playing with 9 men............

Both of them need to be binned immediately......

RoYO!
15-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Jackson is about as limited a footballing centre half as I recall seeing. Hanlon and Porto will come good again.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:22 PM
I’d persevere with PH.

Him, Lewis, Rocky, Horgan, mallan, kamberi, porteous, Allan, Shaw

All of them need to start next week. They need to huddle up and say ‘ ****ing forget what that we dick said in the changing room, we will go out and Fight, we will fight every inch and press hard and fast! We will not give those ****s a chance to catch their breath!!

Persevere with him and we will continue to ship goals and lose games, gives one away most weeks. Needs replaced.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:23 PM
The problem is that Hanlon is no captain or leader. With Gray out more than in we need a strong personality.

Correct, nowhere near captain material. That was evident yesterday.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:24 PM
I have also been shot down on numerous occasions over Hanlon. People seemed to think that because he loves the club , tries his best and all the Mr Hibs crap that's been spouted , he is exempt from getting stick..

Paul hanlon is beconing Colin Murdock. whenever he makes a mistake , we usually end up in losing a goal.. Quicker he is out of the team the better...

Exactly the same situation with Gray, McGregor and Stevenson.

Allant1981
15-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Not really, stevenson has had plenty of stick over the years

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Stevenson yeh. Another Mr Hibs ear bashing... '' Loves the club , tries his best , really nice guy , 7/10 every week '' blah blah blah blah

David Gray is never bloody fit and Darren McGregor I'm afraid is just too slow now...

Get shot of all of them being honest..

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Stevenson yeh. Another Mr Hibs ear bashing... '' Loves the club , tries his best , really nice guy , 7/10 every week '' blah blah blah blah

David Gray is never bloody fit and Darren McGregor I'm afraid is just too slow now...

Get shot of all of them being honest..

Cup winners or not they are just as expendable as any other player in that team.

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Cup winners or not they are just as expendable as any other player in that team.

No sentiment in football I am afraid..

Hibs fans unfortunately do not think like this..

A lot of them cannot see the woods for the trees...

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:40 PM

I agree, time to let go. That cup win was over 3 years ago now.

Heckys Wheel
15-09-2019, 06:41 PM

You do both realize you’re just replying to each other saying the same thing over and over? 😂

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:42 PM
You do both realize you’re just replying to each other saying the same thing over and over? 😂

Two posters agree in fans forum shocker. :rolleyes:

DH1875
15-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Said it before and will say it again, way overrated by some on here.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Two posters agree in fans forum shocker. :rolleyes:

It’s only allowed when it’s about 7 posters calling you a Jambo 👍

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Said it before and will say it again, way overrated by some on here.

You spelt most wrong.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 06:59 PM
It’s only allowed when it’s about 7 posters calling you a Jambo 👍

Aye, thats allowed on here, free shots at HC are a regular occurrence.

sixtwo
15-09-2019, 07:05 PM
People saying there is no sentiment in football are part of the cancer. You are helping this *******.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Aye, thats allowed on here, free shots at HC are a regular occurrence.

I still love you HC 💚

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 07:11 PM
People saying there is no sentiment in football are part of the cancer. You are helping this *******.

That is quite frankly a ridiculous post.

RossScott1991
15-09-2019, 07:13 PM
The only reason he still gets a game is because he’s left footed.

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 07:19 PM

People who hang onto the coattails on sentiment in football are part of the problem.

hence the fact we are still watching the mediocrity of Hanlon and Stevenson etc etc every week........

NC1875
15-09-2019, 07:56 PM
People who hang onto the coattails on sentiment in football are part of the problem.

hence the fact we are still watching the mediocrity of Hanlon and Stevenson etc etc every week........

Amen

Stokesy's on fire
15-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Rubbish

FilipinoHibs
16-09-2019, 12:45 AM
Yes been poor this season I wanted Jackson in for him. I would be tempted to keep him for the derby ad he is a Hibby and knows what it is all about. Need to get that across to the new players.

joebakerforever
16-09-2019, 01:15 AM
Yes been poor this season I wanted Jackson in for him. I would be tempted to keep him for the derby ad he is a Hibby and knows what it is all about. Need to get that across to the new players.

You joking!, Ikpeazu will eat him for late breakfast on Sunday.

Hanlon is the softest of a fragile defence and until he is replaced, we will continue to be the soft touch of the PL.

He has never been the most robust of defenders, and whether it's past injuries or age catching him up, it's now obvious he is past his sell-buy date

Hermit Crab
16-09-2019, 01:45 AM
You joking!, Ikpeazu will eat him for late breakfast on Sunday.

Hanlon is the softest of a fragile defence and until he is replaced, we will continue to be the soft touch of the PL.

He has never been the most robust of defenders, and whether it's past injuries or age catching him up, it's now obvious he is past his sell-buy date

Correct, he will get bullied by him, Naismith or Washington.

Crunchie
16-09-2019, 04:22 AM
Needs replaced. Showed nothing that a captain should show on the pitch yesterday. Gave away a goal again and didn’t look like he gave a toss. Time to move him on.
I've never seen him as captain material in the way a Rob Jones or a Gordon Rae type would try galvanise the players. He's always been short on that front in my book. I was surprised Jackson was dropped in favour of him Saturday and as previous posters have stated he'll be in big trouble with Ikpeazu's physicality if playing in the derby. He's been badly out of form for a while now and needs dropping if only to give him a kick up the backside.

CloudSquall
16-09-2019, 04:25 AM
Before the Stubbs revolution I thought he was a bit of a fairy at the back but he seemed to have taken some man up lessons that transformed him into the solid unit at the back we saw under Stubbs and Lennon.

I don't know if he has just regressed but he has lost that character/hardness we saw and seems to have reverted back to the soft as butter version.

Heisenberg
16-09-2019, 05:28 AM

Washington? He’s absolutely pish 😂

Since452
16-09-2019, 05:44 AM
If one of Heckingbottoms signings was performing like Hanlon is just now it doesn't bare thinking about. For me our poorest performers right now are Paul, Rocky, Horgan and Mallan. Interestingly none of them Heckingbottom signings.

Hiber-nation
16-09-2019, 06:19 AM

Aye the jambos are flying high just now right enough :faf:

AlbertK86
16-09-2019, 06:43 AM
We've been laying into our new signings since they've come in but I wonder if we're missing a deeper problem? Hanlon had regressed back into the Hanlon pre Stubbs. His hesitancy and lack of physicality is being exposed on a weekly basis. Is anyone else concerned that the squad beyond Heckingbottom's signings needs major surgery. The form before PH came in as well.

Add in Gray and his injury problems, big Daz ditto. Mallan not setting the heather on fire. Kamberi/Slivka/Marciano unlikely to be here next season.

There's a big job not just immediately but also on the horizon for the club.

I hope I'm bedwetting and its all Heckingbottoms fault rather than a deeper malaise and with a new gaffer we're able to get the out of form players firing on all cylinders.

Thoughts?

Hanlon has always had that lack of physicality and tendency to get bullied off the ball.

Add in his regular soft headed clearances and habit to get dragged out of position a lot he is currently a liability.

When Hanlon played as sweeper behind Fontaine and McGregor under Stubbs he was very very good as they did the physical side and he cleared up behind them by reading the game very well due to the extra bit of space and time he had. He also developed and became more physical but has definitely regressed.

Still like him and hope he can regain form and physicality. Gave him the benefit of the doubt last season because of ongoing injury but he is defo struggling big time this season. A wee rest may do him the world of good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are hibs
16-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Washington? He’s absolutely pish 😂

And also done his hamstring on saturday.

There is a lot (too much for me) pressure being heaped on young porteous shoulders. He cannot be excpected to hold the defence together. I think he has the potential to go on and play at a high level as reading of the game is generally excellent but hes just back from a 8 month lay off.

Brightside
16-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Some proper garbage on this thread. A dip in form ok. But calling him gutless, a fairy, soft, poor headers?!?!. The guy should have signed for Aberdeen. He might have got a bit more respect from them.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Some proper garbage on this thread. A dip in form ok. But calling him gutless, a fairy, soft, poor headers?!?!. The guy should have signed for Aberdeen. He might have got a bit more respect from them.

:agree: :top marks
It will be the same posters who wanted him capped at the start of last season.

bigwheel
16-09-2019, 07:34 AM

That’s a fair challenge - if I recall he is a friend of yours - not that it’s important - this forum, and social media , are always full of hateful language, over exaggerated criticisms ...people seem to feel it is free vend for hate in this virtual world

Paul has been a great pro with Hibs - he played (I believe) with an injury when he came back last season - it’s clear his form and confidence is off - playing with a different defence and CH partner every weekend can help that either ..

We should be supportive of him to get back to form - there is no doubt a talented pro there ..

Brooster
16-09-2019, 07:37 AM

Absolutely. These 2 plas Marciano are very much part of the defensive problems we are having at the moment. Time for substantial change.

BoomtownHibees
16-09-2019, 07:42 AM

How long can it be classed as a “dip in form” for? He has been in poor form for far too long and should be dropped imo

Sammy7nil
16-09-2019, 07:48 AM
How long can it be classed as a “dip in form” for? He has been in poor form for far too long and should be dropped imo

Fair enough of you think he should be dropped but some of the abuse and silly comments are just mad.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Fair enough of you think he should be dropped but some of the abuse and silly comments are just mad.

I don’t think the abuse is that bad, certainly not from the majority anyway. People just get very sensitive where the likes of him and Lewis. Calling him things like soft isn’t abusive or disrespectful, it’s just exactly what we are as a team at the moment, particularly defensively.

Brightside
16-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Exactly. The comments are what you’d expect from young children.

Smartie
16-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Some of the stuff about other players is ridiculous as well.

Nobody is above criticism and Hanlon deserves scrutiny as much as anyone but some of what is being said is way over the top.

jeffers
16-09-2019, 07:59 AM
I wonder if some of thev folk laying into him on this thread were quite happily applauding him at his recent testimonial dinner. I really like Paul Hanlon as a player. I know he was playing last season with an injury, which clearly effected his performances. I don't know what's up this season and don't disagree he's a shadow of the player who was deservedly called up for the international squad. He isn't playing well enough just now to get a starting slot, but lets not pretend Jackson is anything special either, his handball at Motherwell deservedly saw him dropped for the game on Saturday.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2019, 08:01 AM
I don’t think the abuse is that bad, certainly not from the majority anyway. People just get very sensitive where the likes of him and Lewis. Calling him things like soft isn’t abusive or disrespectful, it’s just exactly what we are as a team at the moment, particularly defensively.

What about Fairy or Gutless ? People need to think before they post 99% of them are far too "soft" to play school football and calling Paul soft is silly. He may not be as strong as others but you don't play pro football for over ten years in any position by being soft.

CloudSquall
16-09-2019, 08:06 AM
I thought he was a complete push over prior to Stubbs coming in and stand by my "fairy" comment, he then bulked up and "manned up" and became a solid unit.

He is now regressing, temporary or permanently, I don't see any issue in pointing this out.

we are hibs
16-09-2019, 08:12 AM
What about Fairy or Gutless ? People need to think before they post 99% of them are far too "soft" to play school football and calling Paul soft is silly. He may not be as strong as others but you don't play pro football for over ten years in any position by being soft.

Mallan does and has..

B.H.F.C
16-09-2019, 08:17 AM

At the moment I think comments like gutless and soft are fair. We’re talking about in a footballing sense here. Mentally we look shot to bits as the senior pros at the club with hundreds of games are letting us down badly. At the moment we are just soft and so easy to play through.

JimBHibees
16-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Is there any chance Daz McGregor will be fit for Sunday? Exactly what we need for Sunday.

NC1875
16-09-2019, 09:30 AM

It’s clear you’ve got a Paul Hanlon poster on your bedroom wall.

He’s always been soft as *****, it’s no coincidence his best years as a Hibs player were in the championship and with arguably the best midfield in Scotland in front of him.

Aberdeen wanting him was all a rumour as Hanlons contract at Hibs was up. Agent talk. I’ve never seen one comment from the player or Aberdeen about them wanting him.

Chorley Hibee
16-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Correct, too many of the "old guard" are not up to the standards required anymore, and our refusal to acknowledge this fact is indeed part of the problem.

Brightside
16-09-2019, 09:36 AM
It’s clear you’ve got a Paul Hanlon poster on your bedroom wall.

He’s always been soft as *****, it’s no coincidence his best years as a Hibs player were in the championship and with arguably the best midfield in Scotland in front of him.

Aberdeen wanting him was all a rumour as Hanlons contract at Hibs was up. Agent talk. I’ve never seen one comment from the player or Aberdeen about them wanting him.

Just signed Shirts, Boots, Armband.... :wink: Aberdeen contract was there for the taking and more money than he was on here. And for some reason every single manager that comes in keeps on picking him. You can criticise a player without being so disrespectful. Well you at least should be able to.

NC1875
16-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Just signed Shirts, Boots, Armband.... :wink: Aberdeen contract was there for the taking and more money than he was on here. And for some reason every single manager that comes in keeps on picking him. You can criticise a player without being so disrespectful. Well you at least should be able to.

🤣 you do know he’s already married!

Gary McKay his agent actually confirmed there was no interest or talks with Aberdeen if I remember rightly. After rumours of him moving there. All probably to get Hanlon a better deal at Hibs.

I don’t think calling someone who plays as a centre half soft is being disrespectful. I’ve nothing against Hanlon personally but if we have any aspirations to be 3rd in this league he is not good enough.

Along with a good few other members of the squad but this is a Paul Hanlon thread after all.

we are hibs
16-09-2019, 09:45 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1k5-jh9XkAhURhRoKHf8DATkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eveningexpress.co.uk%2Ffp%2F aberdeen-fc%2Fhibs-defender-paul-hanlon-not-in-talks-with-dons-says-agent%2F&psig=AOvVaw0qO_zKNRO0Fn5DzD9ARerV&ust=1568713488683850

Leith's finest
16-09-2019, 10:29 AM
🤣 you do know he’s already married!

Gary McKay his agent actually confirmed there was no interest or talks with Aberdeen if I remember rightly. After rumours of him moving there. All probably to get Hanlon a better deal at Hibs.

I don’t think calling someone who plays as a centre half soft is being disrespectful. I’ve nothing against Hanlon personally but if we have any aspirations to be 3rd in this league he is not good enough.

Along with a good few other members of the squad but this is a Paul Hanlon thread after all.
Medals has not been his agent for about 4/5 years

NC1875
16-09-2019, 10:32 AM
The link above from 2016 seems to think McKay was his agent. McKay or not, the Aberdeen talk was most likely the work of his agent to get his client a better deal at Hibs.

The 90+2
16-09-2019, 10:46 AM

He would be sitting in the stand up at Aberdeen had he signed up there. As for respect, he’s hundreds in the bank but he doesn’t escape criticism and he’s been rubbish for about a year now or possibly more and it’s a matter of fact he got bullied a lot earlier on in his career.

BS44
16-09-2019, 11:00 AM

But it's okay to call Hanlon's teammate a hobbit

Eaststand
16-09-2019, 11:26 AM
I wonder if some of thev folk laying into him on this thread were quite happily applauding him at his recent testimonial dinner. I really like Paul Hanlon as a player. I know he was playing last season with an injury, which clearly effected his performances. I don't know what's up this season and don't disagree he's a shadow of the player who was deservedly called up for the international squad. He isn't playing well enough just now to get a starting slot, but lets not pretend Jackson is anything special either, his handball at Motherwell deservedly saw him dropped for the game on Saturday.

Good Post that mate, and I agree with all that you say in it.

GGTTH

Vault Boy
16-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Hanlon to put in a rock solid performance partnering with Porteous in the Derby. Rarely lets us down against them.

Paul is a good player who is struggling for form. Lots of hyperbole in this thread.

thegaffer12
16-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Marciano

Naismith
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Hallberg
Allan
Slivka

Middleton
Horgan

Kamberi

Is this our strongest team right now?

FilipinoHibs
16-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Marciano

Naismith
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Hallberg
Allan
Slivka

Middleton
Horgan

Kamberi

Is this our strongest team right now?

I would have Vela for Middleton. Can tackle and put himself about.

PISTOL1875
16-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Let's be honest here , if Paul Hanlon was that good as people proclaim he is then he wouldn't have played in the Championship for three seasons , the same can be said for another Mr Hibs Lewis Stevenson.. Both of them would've been snapped up pretty sharpish...

These guys were part of the team that got us relegated FFS and they are still playing today.. Two reasons why Hibs will never move forward as a club.

These two aren't part of the solution , they are part of the problem and will be until they are binned... People need to open their eyes and face reality....

ChickenCurryYLT
16-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Let's be honest here , if Paul Hanlon was that good as people proclaim he is then he wouldn't have played in the Championship for three seasons , the same can be said for another Mr Hibs Lewis Stevenson.. Both of them would've been snapped up pretty sharpish...

These guys were part of the team that got us relegated FFS and they are still playing today.. Two reasons why Hibs will never move forward as a club.

These two aren't part of the solution , they are part of the problem and will be until they are binned... People need to open their eyes and face reality....

As brutal as it is, the truth hurts.

Can’t disagree with you.

Diclonius
16-09-2019, 12:19 PM

He made the mistake that led to their winner in the derby last season.

Brightside
16-09-2019, 12:24 PM

So based on this and other comments on here since Saturday.....we actually need to replace the whole team yeh?

PISTOL1875
16-09-2019, 12:29 PM
So based on this and other comments on here since Saturday.....we actually need to replace the whole team yeh?

We need to replace Hanlon and Stevenson for a start. Hanlon makes mistakes and it usually leads to a goal.. Stevenson has treaded water for years now.. Another one who '' loves the club '' and '' tries his best ''. Simply not good enough anymore I am afraid...

Once these two are away then , as I said previously we can think about moving forward as a club..

bigwheel
16-09-2019, 12:33 PM
We need to replace Hanlon and Stevenson for a start. Hanlon makes mistakes and it usually leads to a goal.. Stevenson has treaded water for years now.. Another one who '' loves the club '' and '' tries his best ''. Simply not good enough anymore I am afraid...

Once these two are away then , as I said previously we can think about moving forward as a club..

Out of all the problems we have on the field Stevenson is nowhere near the top 10...remains largely a consistent good performer ..

Hanlon , admittedly going through a really did icky spell - I’d back him the get back in form ....what better game than the derby this weekend to start with ...

Diclonius
16-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Stevenson is a solid 7 every game and probably will be until he is physically unable to play football.

Hanlon on the other hand has been terrible for months and needs a spell out to regain form. Either that or he's sadly peaked early and is on the way down.

KeithTheHibby
16-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Hanlon may be playing ***** this season but then tell me who else in that team isn't?

None of the midfielders have been close to replicating anything they are capable of.

Of the squad Marciano has been ok as has Flo and perhaps Stevenson.

Until we get a manager who is capable of getting this squad performing better I don't expect individual performance to improve.

PISTOL1875
16-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Out of all the problems we have on the field Stevenson is nowhere near the top 10...remains largely a consistent good performer ..

Hanlon , admittedly going through a really did icky spell - I’d back him the get back in form ....what better game than the derby this weekend to start with ...

Since he came back into the side , how many goals have Hanlon and Stevenson lost collectively ??

Hanlon has been poor for months now. How long do you want to back him for ??

We are shipping goals every week and it isn't going to change anytime soon if Paul Hanlon keeps getting picked...

KeithTheHibby
16-09-2019, 12:41 PM

What makes you think there hasn't been interest in any of these players over the years? How do you know that both players are happy with the contract offered to them and are happy to sign on again?

In reference to Lewis there have been left backs signed over the past 10 years yet none of them have come close to displacing him. Have all our managers been wrong to play him?

I know both are not world beaters however they both get the club and understand what it means to play for the jersey. Something I feel has been lost with the appointment of Heckingbottom and his signings.

PISTOL1875
16-09-2019, 12:49 PM
What makes you think there hasn't been interest in any of these players over the years? How do you know that both players are happy with the contract offered to them and are happy to sign on again?

In reference to Lewis there have been left backs signed over the past 10 years yet none of them have come close to displacing him. Have all our managers been wrong to play him?

I know both are not world beaters however they both get the club and understand what it means to play for the jersey. Something I feel has been lost with the appointment of Heckingbottom and his signings.

Lets be honest here Keith , if there had been interest we would've known about it.. Good players do not hang around at Championship level for 3
seasons do they . especially at a team like Hibs..

As for Lewis , he hasn't played at Left back in all his time at Hibs has he ?? Collins deployed him in midfield as did Butcher.. , Fenlon had him stuck at right back for a period of time.. That I am afraid makes your point null and void..

Mantis Toboggan
16-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Lets be honest here Keith , if there had been interest we would've known about it.. Good players do not hang around at Championship level for 3

As for Lewis , he hasn't played at Left back in all his time at Hibs has he ?? Collins deployed him in midfield as did Butcher.. , Fenlon had him stuck at right back for a period of time.. That I am afraid makes your point null and void..

He has played the vast majority of his games for us at left back. Hardly null and void.

Dr Jimmy
16-09-2019, 12:58 PM

We don’t want to get into a battle with that big huddy, that’s what he wants.
He has no first touch and can’t run, stand off him and take the ball from him when he miss controls it.
Absolutely shocking player!!

The_Horde
16-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Can you think of many left backs in the league that are better than Lewis, outside of the OF?

Genuinely interested to find out who you'd replacd him with

B.H.F.C
16-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Stevenson is a solid 7 every game and probably will be until he is physically unable to play football.

Hanlon on the other hand has been terrible for months and needs a spell out to regain form. Either that or he's sadly peaked early and is on the way down.

Where Stevenson is concerned, I suppose it depends on your expectations. I’d play him because I think he’s the best left back at the club. But I also think we should have improved that position.

I think it’s very easy to talk about how dependable he is because he has a good attitude but, IMO, he’s every bit as undependable as the rest of them at the moment.

bigwheel
16-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Since he came back into the side , how many goals have Hanlon and Stevenson lost collectively ??

Hanlon has been poor for months now. How long do you want to back him for ??

We are shipping goals every week and it isn't going to change anytime soon if Paul Hanlon keeps getting picked...

We have different views in football I suspect

Stevenson has had one poor game since he came back - just because a goal comes from his side of the pitch doesn’t make him accountable - crosses will Come in to our box. Stopping the ball getting wide and defensively handling balls in the box is a team game.

Hanlon’s clearly not performing well just now - but he has more good games than poor in a Hibs jersey - would easily get a decent move if he was available - expect him to find form again

I expect him to play well on Sunday if selected

PISTOL1875
16-09-2019, 02:54 PM
We have different views in football I suspect

Stevenson has had one poor game since he came back - just because a goal comes from his side of the pitch doesn’t make him accountable - crosses will Come in to our box. Stopping the ball getting wide and defensively handling balls in the box is a team game.

Hanlon’s clearly not performing well just now - but he has more good games than poor in a Hibs jersey - would easily get a decent move if he was available - expect him to find form again

I expect him to play well on Sunday if selected

Yeh i expect Hanlon to play on Sunday as well... ******g bulletproof..

Billy Whizz
16-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Strangely enough at half time on Saturday, someone I was speaking too was impressed with Paul’s performance, and I agreed
One slack moment in the 2nd half, started this tread

Brightside
16-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Strangely enough at half time on Saturday, someone I was speaking too was impressed with Paul’s performance, and I agreed

Yep. We were very good in the first half.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2019, 03:06 PM

It might have triggered it but poor form over the best part of a year is the real reason. Not just a slack moment.

Hermit Crab
16-09-2019, 03:55 PM
It might have triggered it but poor form over the best part of a year is the real reason. Not just a slack moment.

:agree:

Made a **** of it for both St J goals and at fault for 2 of Rangers 6 IIRC.

SingaporeHibs
16-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Hanlon has always needed a strong partner along side him. His performances levels for Hibs throughout his long career have depended on that. When Daz came in at first it led to Hanlon having his best spell of his career. Since Daz started struggling with fitness Hanlons performances were impacted. Porteous is going to be a terrific defender but is still young and needs led on the park and again more is asked of Hanlon and he has struggled with it. When big Efe was here, another terrific player but was so unpredictable at times that didn’t suit Hanlon much either. Hanlon needs a rock next to him to allow him to perform to his best. Maybe a bit late but a professional sports psychologist maybe could of helped him earlier in his career.

Weegreenman
16-09-2019, 04:27 PM
I’ve just watched the highlights and I’m afraid to say it was an absolute horror show from Hanlon.
Honking! Needs dropped.

Heisenberg
16-09-2019, 04:29 PM
I’ve just watched the highlights and I’m afraid to say it was an absolute horror show from Hanlon.
Honking! Needs dropped.

Mallan has needed dropped for ages but remains a first pick. Hecky doesn’t seem to trust his new signings.

Hermit Crab
16-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Mallan has needed dropped for ages but remains a first pick. Hecky doesn’t seem to trust his new signings.

Yet Mallan was nowhere near a first pick under Heckingbottom at Barnsley...:confused:

Smartie
16-09-2019, 04:40 PM

He has a horrible habit of being severely punished for his mistakes at the moment.

When he makes a mistake we invariably end up losing a goal.

Efe went through a spell where he would have many lapses worse than Hanlon is having right now but we never seemed to lose a goal as a result.

we are hibs
16-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Yet Mallan was nowhere near a first pick under Heckingbottom at Barnsley...:confused:

One of lifes mysteries.

Its almost as if the manager has underestimated Scottish football.

The 90+2
16-09-2019, 05:05 PM
One of lifes mysteries.

Its almost as if the manager has underestimated Scottish football.

Did he sign Mallan for Barnsley? If he did it makes sense why he didn’t play him there :greengrin

hibbysam
16-09-2019, 09:57 PM

A lot can be said of Paul this season, and the end of last, however let’s not blind ourselves from facts, Paul Hanlon being injured is one of the main reasons we got relegated, he wasn’t part of the team that took us down as he had been out injured for months at the end of that season.

Wembley67
16-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Paul's downturn coincided roughly with the birth of his kid...life events effect players massively, look at Andy Murray for example. He will be back, he hasn't just become a bad player.

The 90+2
16-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Paul's downturn coincided roughly with the birth of his kid...life events effect players massively, look at Andy Murray for example. He will be back, he hasn't just become a bad player.

Fair point.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2019, 10:31 PM

Does everyone get a hip replacement when they become parents?

Allant1981
17-09-2019, 05:30 AM

Andy Murray had surgery to over come constant pain, as far as I know that had nowt to do with him becoming a dad

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 06:17 AM

He has also been injured Heckinbottom mentioned that both central defenders were playing when he came in but not training. Some of the comments on this thread are a joke for a guy who has been a wonderful servant for the club. Hopefully whatever injury he had is gone and he can get back to being the player we know he can be. No doubt lacking a bit confidence at present which a wee bit support from fans would help with starting Sunday against our biggest rivals.

Jonnyboy
17-09-2019, 08:04 AM
:agree:

Made a **** of it for both St J goals and at fault for 2 of Rangers 6 IIRC.

Just out of curiosity can you tell us which, if any, of our players is good enough for you?

superfurryhibby
17-09-2019, 09:04 AM
He has also been injured Heckinbottom mentioned that both central defenders were playing when he came in but not training. Some of the comments on this thread are a joke for a guy who has been a wonderful servant for the club. Hopefully whatever injury he had is gone and he can get back to being the player we know he can be. No doubt lacking a bit confidence at present which a wee bit support from fans would help with starting Sunday against our biggest rivals.

You're absolutely correct. I've said in the past that fans often have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at a club, myself included in that. Many players have to manage injuries and play with them, albeit that they can impinge on their ability. They do this because they are often chronic injuries and they have no alternative. It's fairly well known that a few of our players are in this situation.

Paul Hanlon is a good footballer, no doubt about it. He probably works best with a more robust defensive partner beside him. He's mot the biggest guy in the world, so there will be times when he struggles against the physicality of some opponents. This was a big factor in his early first team years. If we had fitter, better players then he would be dropped, as it stands we don't. In the meantime we should support a guy who gives his all for the team, he can't do anything more.

Hermit Crab
17-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Just out of curiosity can you tell us which, if any, of our players is good enough for you?

Scott Allan.

Jonnyboy
17-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Scott Allan.

Safe choice 😉

PISTOL1875
17-09-2019, 06:50 PM
A lot can be said of Paul this season, and the end of last, however let’s not blind ourselves from facts, Paul Hanlon being injured is one of the main reasons we got relegated, he wasn’t part of the team that took us down as he had been out injured for months at the end of that season.

Absolute drivvle. One of the main reasons we were relegated was because of Butcher and his tactics of melting the ball into a corner for james collins to run after...

tamh
17-09-2019, 10:53 PM
If one of Heckingbottoms signings was performing like Hanlon is just now it doesn't bare thinking about. For me our poorest performers right now are Paul, Rocky, Horgan and Mallan. Interestingly none of them Heckingbottom signings.
Heckling bottoms signins can't get a game.!!!!

CMurdoch
17-09-2019, 11:06 PM
Scott Allan.

One great pass in 5 league games :rolleyes:.
Easily impressed you are.

Heisenberg
18-09-2019, 05:39 AM

He’s the only reason we currently have a win on the board too!

Hermit Crab
18-09-2019, 07:47 AM

Just the one? If our forwards and wingers could read his game better we'd have more goals and probably more wins on the board as well!!!

Brightside
18-09-2019, 08:34 AM
Scott Allan.

Do you think he was good against Killie?

FilipinoHibs
18-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Andy Murray has had two major operations and on a rehabilitation programme. Also, coped fine when his kids were born.

Hermit Crab
18-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Not at his best but still a better performance than Hanlon.

Speedy
18-09-2019, 09:09 AM

He broke into the team with Collins but for the most part he's played left back.

I never used to be keen but he has definitely got better/more consistent as he got stronger.

Suppose you have to ask why nobody has managed to replace him in the last 10 years if he's that bad.

silverhibee
18-09-2019, 10:42 AM

Did he play

Anthony Soprano
18-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Hanlons never been a great defender, too slow and weak, looked good in the championship as he was playing against lesser players, was murder for years before that.
When Lennon was here, having efe alongside him probably helped him, but now he's gone and Jacksons replaced him it's like the blind leading the blind.

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Also part of the team that achieved the best Hibs result and highest honor in 60+ years.

Its like, what do people expect Hibs to achieve? Top 4? a cup every so often? These guys have achieved that, they are by definintion good enough to achieve those things with Hibs. 2 absolute club legends.

easty
18-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Hanlons never been a great defender, too slow and weak, looked good in the championship as he was playing against lesser players, was murder for years before that.
When Lennon was here, having efe alongside him probably helped him, but now he's gone and Jacksons replaced him it's like the blind leading the blind.

Load of *****

The Modfather
18-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Why does it always have to be black and white with players? They’re either great or terrible. Hanlon has fluctuated between being poor, like the last 18 months and at other times being excellent, like the 17/18 season and driving us forward as well as Ambrose did. Think he’s had a very up and down career, probably illustrated with a relegation and a Scottish Cup medal.

Argylehibby
18-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Not at his best but still a better performance than Hanlon.

On a par I'd say. Played a poor pass that gave away possession that led to Killies opener.

basehibby
18-09-2019, 01:22 PM
A lot of posters forgetting football is a team game. The overall quality of our team has sadly gone backwards - this has left defenders like Hanlon more often exposed and with less viable options in front of him when in possession. As a result he looks poorer. I dont think he is though - more that his weaknesses have been tested more severely and his strengths - like passing ability out of defence - have had less opportunity for expression with a dearth of willing runners making themselves available. Get the balance right in midfield and Hanlon along with the rest of the defence will start to shine more readily.

J-C
18-09-2019, 01:40 PM
He broke into the team with Collins but for the most part he's played left back.

I never used to be keen but he has definitely got better/more consistent as he got stronger.

Suppose you have to ask why nobody has managed to replace him in the last 10 years if he's that bad.
He won MOM against Killie in the final playing LM in front of Murphy, he played there also in front of McGivern during Fenlon's reign. Lewis is very capable of playing midfield, he's not a natural attacking LB, defensively fairly sound though.

JimBHibees
18-09-2019, 01:47 PM
He won MOM against Killie in the final playing LM in front of Murphy, he played there also in front of McGivern during Fenlon's reign. Lewis is very capable of playing midfield, he's not a natural attacking LB, defensively fairly sound though.

Think we played 433 in that final with Lewis left of a central 3 with Fletch Benji Ivan up top.

J-C
18-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Think we played 433 in that final with Lewis left of a central 3 with Fletch Benjamin Ivan up top.

Cant really remember tbh but Lewis was superb at dropping into the space Murphy left when he went on his runs up the pitch, I just remember this young lad in midfield looking like he'd been there for years they way he played that day.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2019, 02:19 PM

There were at least 5 players much better than Stevenson that day, benji Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker Jones . He was given it if my memory is right by Ian McCall, just got it because he was young and played well. I like Lewis, but if he was man of the match that day, McCall was watching a different game to me.

The 90+2
18-09-2019, 02:35 PM
There were at least 5 players much better than Stevenson that day, benji Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker Jones . He was given it if my memory is right by Ian McCall, just got it because he was young and played well. I like Lewis, but if he was man of the match that day, McCall was watching a different game to me.

Fletcher was the best player on the park.

Anthony Soprano
18-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Load of *****

Discuss

The 90+2
18-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Discuss

Losing Hanlon to injury magnified the chances of getting relegated when we did.

After we got relegated he was brilliant in loads of matches against Premier teams including Aberdeen Hearts Inverness and Dundee Utd. He was also brilliant in games against Rangers as well as being extremely consistent in the league.

Anthony Soprano
18-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Losing Hanlon to injury magnified the chances of getting relegated when we did.

After we got relegated he was brilliant in loads of matches against Premier teams including Aberdeen Hearts Inverness and Dundee Utd. He was also brilliant in games against Rangers as well as being extremely consistent in the league.

IMO not playing McPake when he was fit and Butchers complete exclusion of Kevin Thomson were the two big ones for me in regards to us getting relegated when we did.
Hanlon was decent for Hibs whilst we were in the championship for the most part, which led me to believe he had simply developed as a player and was starting to look good.
The position we're in now is he has been poor for several months, he's 29 this should be his prime.
He's not injured, he's just not that good a player.

Barman Stanton
18-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Fletcher was the best player on the park.

Benji for me. But the whole team played pretty amazing really.

we are hibs
18-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Benji shouldve had a hatrick with his header off the post towards the end. Benji at his best really was a nightmare for defenders. Powerful, athletic, and a great finisher.

J-C
18-09-2019, 03:54 PM

I too didn't see him as MOM but I think his young age and the way he played I get it, for me Benji or Fletcher were better candidates, I was just proving a point the Lewis was a good midfielder before becoming a LB.

PISTOL1875
18-09-2019, 05:36 PM

i think you will find that he made his debut against I C T at LB under Mixu.. Hibs won 3-0 that with Dean Shiels scoring a hat - trick.. Mixu moved quickly to bring in Zarabi inhis position and Hanlon was replaced..

PISTOL1875
18-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Also part of the team that achieved the best Hibs result and highest honor in 60+ years.

Its like, what do people expect Hibs to achieve? Top 4? a cup every so often? These guys have achieved that, they are by definintion good enough to achieve those things with Hibs. 2 absolute club legends.

Yeh he did but that was 3 years ago now.. This type of reply is everything that wrong with the Hibs Support... Living off sentiment..

A cup every so often ?? 9 years between cup victories is not every so often in my book.. Maybe yours..

KWJ
18-09-2019, 05:40 PM
IMO not playing McPake when he was fit and Butchers complete exclusion of Kevin Thomson were the two big ones for me in regards to us getting relegated when we did.
Hanlon was decent for Hibs whilst we were in the championship for the most part, which led me to believe he had simply developed as a player and was starting to look good.
The position we're in now is he has been poor for several months, he's 29 this should be his prime.
He's not injured, he's just not that good a player.

When Hanlon was fit we were in the top 6.

Since452
18-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Club legend or not Hanlon isn't playing well enough to be starting at the moment.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2019, 05:42 PM
i think you will find that he made his debut against I C T at LB under Mixu.. Hibs won 3-0 that with Dean Shiels scoring a hat - trick.. Mixu moved quickly to bring in Zarabi inhis position and Hanlon was replaced..

That worked right enough. Much as Paul Hanlon is in poor form right now (and I’m seek of him) what a dick that signing made Mixu look. Hanlon has been consistent in all his time at Hibs. Zarabi. Christ almighty.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2019, 05:45 PM

I was watching the same game as you I suppose and thought Lewis was the MOM by an emotional cuddly mile. I never heard anything from Ian McCall that day funnily enough.

The 90+2
18-09-2019, 05:57 PM

I thought Fletch put in the work for Benji to shine. Was a joy to watch, the majority of the team!

MWHIBBIES
19-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Yeh he did but that was 3 years ago now.. This type of reply is everything that wrong with the Hibs Support... Living off sentiment..

A cup every so often ?? 9 years between cup victories is not every so often in my book.. Maybe yours..

Yes. Then being top quality in the league and finishing top 4 was just over a year ago, though. I'm not sentimental, both quality players in poor form.

If Hibs win a cup every 9 years for the rest of my life I'd be delighted. Would see me on 8 cup wins if I made it to 80, any 80 year olds on here seen Hibs lift 8 majors?

bigwheel
19-09-2019, 07:46 AM
I was watching the same game as you I suppose and thought Lewis was the MOM by an emotional cuddly mile. I never heard anything from Ian McCall that day funnily enough.

I am with you - additionally, it’s a somewhat irrelevant debate this isn’t it - whether Lewis was best man on that day or not - surely everyone agrees he was excellent in his midfield role? so not sure what those who say he wasn’t MOM are trying to debate ...

MOMs are always subjective ...

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2019, 07:58 AM
I am with you - additionally, it’s a somewhat irrelevant debate this isn’t it - whether Lewis was best man on that day or not - surely everyone agrees he was excellent in his midfield role? so not sure what those who say he wasn’t MOM are trying to debate ...

MOMs are always subjective ...

Man of the match awards are always subjective, and you only need to be in hospitality to see how daft some of these awards are.:wink:

When we beat Killie 5-1 in 2007, i watched Benji score twice, Fletcher score twice, Jones start us off with a great goal, Scott Brown and Boozy run the midfield with Both full backs defend and get forward brilliantly abily assisted with the others who Stevenson played well with too.

None of us on the bus back would have given Lewis Man of the match even though we all said he'd done very well, we just thought there were many players who deserved the award more that day, especially the ones i mentioned.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2019, 09:42 PM

How long did your joy of winning the cup last before it was overcome? “Living off sentiment” I knew this would be levelled after the cup win. Live and let live - just seems a bit bonkers.