PDA

View Full Version : 352

Stuart93
15-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Just try a 352. We have the players to suit it. Give it a bash.

rebhar
15-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Agreed

berwickhibee
15-09-2019, 12:42 PM
👍👍👍💚💚💚

jacomo
15-09-2019, 12:53 PM

We’ve only got 3 strikers. And no left wing back.

I agree that it might be time for 352 but the state of the squad is infuriating.

HibsTalk
15-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Personally I'd go more a 3-4-2-1

Jackson Porto Hanlon

Naismith Hallberg Vela Lewy

Middleton. Allan
Flo

Chelsea done this formation well and the way they used Mount could be an effective way to use Allan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Speedway
15-09-2019, 01:02 PM

I agree that it might be time for 352 but the state of the squad is infuriating.

Has Middleton not played LWB previously?

Hiber-nation
15-09-2019, 02:30 PM
I wonder if he'll do this on Sunday. Allan and Horgan possibly the ones to make way for Jackson and Doidge. He always seems to take a winger off when he brings Doidge on for some obscure reason.

I actually don't care who he plays or what formation he uses.

04Sauzee
15-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Did Stevenson not olay left wingback in our 3-5-2 under Lennon?

Torto7
15-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I like the formation but I don't trust the centre halfs we currently have to be able to implement it properly. If it's a three then the RCB and LCB need to be able to go into the widers areas.

BlackSheep
15-09-2019, 03:45 PM
I’ve been championing a 352/532 for a while, when tactically performed well it would suit our team very well.

Please stop suggesting 1 up top, it doesn’t work. Stop. Nope. Shh. Our front line do not suit it whatsoever.

3 at the back when we attack and 5 at the back when defending. It’s a blitz mentality that I think we do very well when the correct personnel are put in place.

I think the addition of Naismith only helps us with this formation.

Rocky

Hanlon
Jackson
Porteous

Lewy
Naismith

Hallberg
Allan
Murray

Kamberi
Doidge/Shaw

The two wing backs (Lewy and Naismith) would sit back when defending and support the attack going forward.

When going forward one of the centre mids (most likely Murray or Hallberg can also drop in if needs be to cover the back 3 in the event of a counter attack)

Kamberi and Doidge need game time to spark a relationship, that’s not happened yet.

Allan can float in the Midfield supporting the front two and exploiting space they should create. He wouldn’t be needed defensively if we stick to the tactics of forming a 5 at the back when defending, Hallberg and Murray can help the defence and both are more than capable of locking up at the back and creating a move forward to Allan, Kamberi and Doidge.

It just makes sense and while it’s easier said than done, it’s the manager’s job to work on these tactics in reining and drill it into them until it’s second nature... instead of chopping and changing it every week.

These tactics instill a better team ethic and a win together, lose together bond. What we r missing now. We need to recreate the bond we had after the cup win, even players like Holt bought into it and fought like he had been a Hibee his whole career. Another reason why signing Cummings would have been good and why fans want players to return like Efe... cos they have a soft spot for Hibs and have some passion.

Sorry for the long post (again) but if ‘we’ can see this why can’t the management and the board!!!

bingo70
15-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Call it a 5-3-2 if you want, that’s fine with me.

Right now we’re conceding loads and not looking like scoring much. Go to 5 at the back for next weekend and at least make us hard to score against. Keep it tight and try to grow into the game.

It’s not the ideal way I want to see Hibs play football but it’s where we are just now. If we go into the derby next week with 2 centre half’s and no defensive midfielder we’ll get pumped.

BlackSheep
15-09-2019, 03:58 PM
I like the formation but I don't trust the centre halfs we currently have to be able to implement it properly. If it's a three then the RCB and LCB need to be able to go into the widers areas.

Hanlon and Porteous are both capable of this.

It’s the huge stinking hole left by not signing a defensive midfielder that messes up how well we would do in 352/532 formation... when attacking you ideally want a player from the midfield to hold back and protect the 3 CBs, while a box to box may do this, a DM is better suited to this, Milligan played both DM and CB and did this very well and could play the ball out when needed.

The left and right CB push to the wider areas and the DM drops into a CB position so a temporary 442 is created in counter attack situations.

Winston Ingram
15-09-2019, 04:39 PM

We don’t have the players to do it. Just like we didn’t have the players to do it when we 1 league game in 13 when we played it last season.

truehibernian
15-09-2019, 04:47 PM
The rate we are conceding goals and from wide areas, 3-5-2 would exacerbate things. For me I'd revert to a defensive 4-5-1 and flood the midfield area to condense and limit space. The space being left in the middle of the park when we attack is cavernous meaning the opposition can walk into our half unchallenged.

BlackSheep
15-09-2019, 05:04 PM
We don’t have the players to do it. Just like we didn’t have the players to do it when we 1 league game in 13 when we played it last season.

I disagree, while we may not have the best at each role to play 352/532 we do have players who can play in those positions very well, and the more they do the better they get until the next transfer window when there’s opportunity to find players who do fit those roles better.

BlackSheep
15-09-2019, 05:12 PM
The rate we are conceding goals and from wide areas, 3-5-2 would exacerbate things. For me I'd revert to a defensive 4-5-1 and flood the midfield area to condense and limit space. The space being left in the middle of the park when we attack is cavernous meaning the opposition can walk into our half unchallenged.

Pretty sure a 451 is a formation we’ve played with little success already this season.

For those who continue to suggest 1 up top can you enlighten me as to which games would suggest we should continue with 1 striker...?

It isn’t working, we aren’t getting the best out of our players by persevering with it.

MrRobot
16-09-2019, 07:14 AM

stevenson?

Hibeesmad
16-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Stevenson played left wing back in a 3-5-2 the day we won the Scottish Cup

Winston Ingram
17-09-2019, 11:17 AM
I disagree, while we may not have the best at each role to play 352/532 we do have players who can play in those positions very well, and the more they do the better they get until the next transfer window when there’s opportunity to find players who do fit those roles better.

Who do we have that can play it well? Lewis much as I love him doesn’t have the quality going forward. Naismith might but that remains to be seen.

On top of that, our midfield is an absolute state and the only difference to the back 3 that performed so badly using it last season is Jackson for Efe.

I’ve said this countless times. There absolutely no decent teams that use it. It’s too reliant on the wingbanks.

Fitness wise to ask a player to cover one side of the pitch for 90 minutes is ridiculous. If you use a defensive player there, they don’t have the attacking quality to be a realistic threat and if you put an attacking player in there, they constantly leave a massive gap behind them for the oppositions wingers to get at our centre back. As Jordan Jones demonstrated by repeatedly ripping poor Efe on the many occasions we used it v Killie.

Winston Ingram
17-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Stevenson played left wing back in a 3-5-2 the day we won the Scottish Cup

He did and when we switched to a back 4 at 2-1 down we came back to win it

sahpaton
17-09-2019, 11:43 AM
Personally I'd go more a 3-4-2-1

Jackson Porto Hanlon

Naismith Hallberg Vela Lewy

Middleton. Allan
Flo

Chelsea done this formation well and the way they used Mount could be an effective way to use Allan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Would also like to see a 3-4-2-1. An extra man at the back with two in front of him goes some way to solving our lack of ‘defensive midfielder’ however I’d like to see Slivka partner Hallberg rather than Vela. Only other change to your side would be Horgan for Middleton, feel this system could get the best out him as well as Allan and allow them both to provide some much needed service to Flo.

CMurdoch
17-09-2019, 12:13 PM
The team can only have one of the 3 midfield pimples in it (Allan, Mallan & Horgan).
Given Allan is the most clinical passer in the final third it should be him with 2 stronger players replacing the other 2 pimples.
Otherwise we will continue with our walk through midfield.
Simple really.

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Who do we have that can play it well? Lewis much as I love him doesn’t have the quality going forward. Naismith might but that remains to be seen.

On top of that, our midfield is an absolute state and the only difference to the back 3 that performed so badly using it last season is Jackson for Efe.

I’ve said this countless times. There absolutely no decent teams that use it. It’s too reliant on the wingbanks.

Fitness wise to ask a player to cover one side of the pitch for 90 minutes is ridiculous. If you use a defensive player there, they don’t have the attacking quality to be a realistic threat and if you put an attacking player in there, they constantly leave a massive gap behind them for the oppositions wingers to get at our centre back. As Jordan Jones demonstrated by repeatedly ripping poor Efe on the many occasions we used it v Killie.

Chelsea, Juve, Tottenham etc have used it.

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 12:22 PM
He did and when we switched to a back 4 at 2-1 down we came back to win it

We did play well in that game and dominate it for long spells playing 352.

Smartie
17-09-2019, 12:27 PM
The team can only have one of the 3 midfield pimples in it (Allan, Mallan & Horgan).
Given Allan is the most clinical passer in the final third it should be him with 2 stronger players replacing the other 2 pimples.
Otherwise we will continue with our walk through midfield.
Simple really.

I could see us having Allan, Mallan, Horgan, Murray, Newell or Slivka who could play that role well.

We have big problems filling the other 2 midfield spots though.

The_Horde
17-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Rocky

Naisy Porto Hanlon Stevenson

Hallberg Slivka

Mallan Allan Middleton

Kamberi

3 attacking midfielders instead of wingers. Middleton doesn't have the raw pace of a winger but he has a wand of a left foot and good vision, seen him play here for rangers u21s and he was brilliant.

Smartie
17-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Rocky

Naisy Porto Hanlon Stevenson

Hallberg Slivka

Mallan Allan Middleton

Kamberi

3 attacking midfielders instead of wingers. Middleton doesn't have the raw pace of a winger but he has a wand of a left foot and good vision, seen him play here for rangers u21s and he was brilliant.

If you stick Milligan or Bartley in there for Slivka, I think you've got an excellent team.

Kamberi doesn't need a strike partner but he needs support and players near him, he'd get plenty with that team.

Northern Hibby
17-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Mike Stewart said it best, on paper our team is good but we have no balance on the pitch, we can't have all our best players on at the same time.

BlackSheep
17-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Lennon didn’t have any consistency in his selection when using 352/532 formation last season and I think contributed to us playing poorly in this style.

A lot of fans are expecting that a wing back needs to consistently hit the byline and provide a cross, but a player who can get forward with width and then play it in field is also and asset and lewy is more than capable of this.

Flo cannot play up top alone. Not sure why people think that all he needs is a decent supply... he also needs a partner to take defenders away and create space.

Smartie
17-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Lennon didn’t have any consistency in his selection when using 352/532 formation last season and I think contributed to us playing poorly in this style.

A lot of fans are expecting that a wing back needs to consistently hit the byline and provide a cross, but a player who can get forward with width and then play it in field is also and asset and lewy is more than capable of this.

Flo cannot play up top alone. Not sure why people think that all he needs is a decent supply... he also needs a partner to take defenders away and create space.

Flo is hopeless when he's isolated but that doesn't mean he can't play up front on his own. He's not much use at dealing with long balls up to him but if we're making short passes and he has Allan up with him plus the wide players tucking in them he's fine.

If we're going to shell the ball at him with nobody within 40 yards of him then we'd be as well saving a few quid on wages and have me struggle up there for free.

Winston Ingram
17-09-2019, 02:54 PM

What was inconsistent about it? It was no more inconsistent than any other team selection for any other selection.

As for Flo being unable to play up top on his own, that’s drivel. It’s a myth that was perpetuated by the shambolic 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle. Barker and Boyle didn’t shift of the touchlines and the midfield played too deep and didn’t get up and support him. Flo struggles when he’s isolated like most Centre forwards.

Have no idea where to start with your second paragraph

BlackSheep
17-09-2019, 03:13 PM
What was inconsistent about it? It was no more inconsistent than any other team selection for any other selection.

As for Flo being unable to play up top on his own, that’s drivel. It’s a myth that was perpetuated by the shambolic 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle. Barker and Boyle didn’t shift of the touchlines and the midfield played too deep and didn’t get up and support him. Flo struggles when he’s isolated like most Centre forwards.

Have no idea where to start with your second paragraph

So two posters’ replies agreeing in a different way that Flo can’t play up top alone, yet read like they are disagreeing or that I have somehow said something strange... in his time at Hibs Flo has flourished with a partner next to him up front, due to defences having to mark 2 players and getting dragged about... this opens up space for the midfield to drive forward or to find a through ball for the top 2 to get on the end of.

As for rebutting the first query, Lennon last season struggled with injuries and the inability to files the same team and tactics regularly... this was the inconsistency. If he, or any other manager for that matter, were to pick his team and stick with it for a run of games then the team would find its feet... too much chopping and changing creates uncertainty in the players’ minds.

As for my second point, you asked me to point out which players we have that play positions I’m suggesting well, I specifically picked our potential wing backs and made the point that while they’re not bending it in like beckham, their attacking abilities are suitable to play down the wings and create chances other ways.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Call it a 5-3-2 if you want, that’s fine with me.

Right now we’re conceding loads and not looking like scoring much. Go to 5 at the back for next weekend and at least make us hard to score against. Keep it tight and try to grow into the game.

It’s not the ideal way I want to see Hibs play football but it’s where we are just now. If we go into the derby next week with 2 centre half’s and no defensive midfielder we’ll get pumped.

Playing 5 defenders doesn't make it any harder to score against you, same as playing 5 forwards doesn't make you score loads. Its all about execution.