PDA

View Full Version : Should never have got the job in the first place..

ChickenCurryYLT
15-09-2019, 12:18 AM
As it says.

Couldn’t agree a deal with Appleton so settled for this imposter.

Any Hibs fan that seriously thinks this man will come good needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I’m all for positivity but you happy clappers are doing the club more harm thinking this clown will come good.

Ms Dempster - sort it out or do the honourable thing and go aswell.

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Love to know how fans thinking or hoping he will turn it around are doing the club more harm. You “told you so” folk come out with some ******, give it a rest eh.

NC1875
15-09-2019, 06:37 AM
I seriously don’t know of one Hibs fan who thinks he’ll come good. They’re clearly in the minority now and Dempster would do well to listen to the majority.

She won’t sack him before next week but a defeat against a hearts team who also can’t buy a win and he has to go.

lyonhibs
15-09-2019, 06:49 AM
As it says.

Any Hibs fan that seriously thinks this man will come good needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I’m all for positivity but you happy clappers are doing the club more harm thinking this clown will come good.

How are people on a message board who want the current incumbent to turn things around doing the actual football club "more harm than good" :confused:

I personally think he's a dead man walking, but no need to be such a high and mighty torn faced disaster.

ArmadaleHibs
15-09-2019, 07:14 AM
As it says.

“More harm to the club”. Brilliant stuff. So now a tiny minority of fans who would like the manager to turn it around are the ones making key management decisions. Wtf.

Opinions are obviously what make a forum interesting but when we are at a low point with things not going the way we want it we sure post an absolute lot of crap.

Springbank
15-09-2019, 07:25 AM
He needs to go

Pretty Boy
15-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Given almost 96% of people who responded to a poll on this forum are agreed he should go this seems very much a case of preaching to the converted.

I don't think you'll find many 'happy clappers' here right now.

MSK
15-09-2019, 07:29 AM
As it says.

Ms Dempster - sort it out or do the honourable thing and go aswell.So whats your plans then, apart from sticking the boot into fellow fans on here ? Ive read most of the threads on this forum and Im struggling to see much, if any support for Heckingbottom let alone happy clappers

biotech
15-09-2019, 09:04 AM
The worrying think is Hecky being interviewed.Totally deflated and looks like he’s given up. No wonder players aren’t motivated!

Leith Green
15-09-2019, 09:11 AM
The fans reallly need to stick together right now. We cannot let a poor managerial appointment ruin what we have grown into recently.. We need to stick together and demand change in manager and a move back to the structure that served us so well for a good few seasons

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Bet you weren't saying that when Horgan scored his 2nd at Tynecastle.

jacomo
15-09-2019, 09:32 AM
As it says.

I think PH is the wrong man and needs to go, but this post is awful.

Stop having a go at the fans, who bear zero responsibility for this debacle.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Bet you weren't saying that when Horgan scored his 2nd at Tynecastle.

Aye but what about the five months of pish thereafter?

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Aye but what about the five months of pish thereafter?

Yeah exactly. He should be punted now, that doesn't mean he wasn't a good candidate and started excellently.

Hibiza
15-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Let a gem in Omengua slip away by using funds on mediocrity (at best ). Jim Duffy all over again.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Yeah exactly. He should be punted now, that doesn't mean he wasn't a good candidate and started excellently.

The fact he needs punted after seven months surely shows he wasn’t a good candidate does it not?

Iain G
15-09-2019, 09:47 AM
As it says.

Did you say that at the time he was appointed or you just jumping on the wagon to stick the boot into the club?

He turned around a team in freefall and not performing for Lennon (was he a clown and imposter at that point too?) last year, he deserved a chance but it isn't working out which is a shame but that's football!

Hibernia&Alba
15-09-2019, 09:52 AM
With hindsight it's clear he shouldn't have been appointed. He had an uphill battle to win over the support from the start, being a relative unknown taking over from a big name. I was very uncertain about him, but was willing to give him a chance of course. However, it just isn't working. After a bright start it's all gone to pieces with alarming speed and it's difficult to see a way back now; the trust has gone.

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2019, 09:54 AM
The fact he needs punted after seven months surely shows he wasn’t a good candidate does it not?

No it does not, he might have failed but that does not mean that he wasn’t a decent candidate for the job during the application process. No one can predict the future, it happens in all walks of life.

WhileTheChief..
15-09-2019, 09:54 AM
LD wanted safe and secure after Lennon.

This guy comes along with his sports degree, laptop and ‘modern outlook’ and she fell for it big time.

A quick glance at how it worked out for Hearts under Cathro should have been enough.

We need to ditch the nicey nice stuff that she’s been trying to instil in the club and develop a nasty streak.

Her and Budge are on their own wee missions to try and help the community or whatever it is they do.

It’s no wonder we’re both struggling when neither is focussed on the first team.

The Harp Awakes
15-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Let a gem in Omengua slip away by using funds on mediocrity (at best ). Jim Duffy all over again.

Yes the Omeonga situation pretty much sums up why we are where we are. By all accounts he wanted to come back and if that's the case then it's inexplicable we didn't pay the required money to get him. We paid the money for his 1st loan so presumably it was within our budget to sign him again.

Instead we risked crazy money on players from the lower English leagues where there was always going to be question marks on their ability.

A complete balls up by the Club in pre season which will take a long time to recover from.

InchHibby
15-09-2019, 09:55 AM
The folk on here who are defending Heckingbottom with, he needs time, he’ll sort it, are quite entitled to their opinion as we all are.
I’ve been supporting Hibs now for a few decades and have picked up this canny feeling regarding who’s going to be a good,decent or useless manager and in this manager I’m afraid it’s the latter.
We do not even have a settled team yet and I know we’ve had a few injuries to contend with but there’s only one of his signings that’s been injured and that’s James.
The man simply can’t hack it and it’s glaringly obvious, it’s also glaringly obvious that unless we change managers now we are relegation candidates because this team have no confidence, no motivation, no sense of team spirit, no fight and most importantly, no leadership on the Park. He gets rid of Milligan and Bartley who at least had a bit of grit and determination even although not for the full ninety minutes but a half a piece would be better than what we’ve got.
It’s time to face the truth and bite the bullet before it’s too late.

turn and burn
15-09-2019, 09:58 AM
With hindsight it's clear he shouldn't have been appointed. He had an uphill battle to win over the support from the start, being a relative unknown taking over from a big name. I was very uncertain about him, but was willing to give him a chance of course. However, it just isn't working. After a bright start it's all gone to pieces with alarming speed and it's difficult to see a way back now; the trust has gone.

Did he have an uphill battle to win over the support? Genuine question - I hadn't heard of him but liked most of what he was promising, so I quite happy. Maybe it was more about Appleton seemingly rejecting us that soured the atmosphere a little?

Crab apple
15-09-2019, 10:00 AM
The folk on here who are defending Heckingbottom with, he needs time, he’ll sort it, are quite entitled to their opinion as we all are.
I’ve been supporting Hibs now for a few decades and have picked up this canny feeling regarding who’s going to be a good,decent or useless manager and in this manager I’m afraid it’s the latter.
We do not even have a settled team yet and I know we’ve had a few injuries to contend with but there’s only one of his signings that’s been injured and that’s James.
The man simply can’t hack it and it’s glaringly obvious, it’s also glaringly obvious that unless we change managers now we are relegation candidates because this team have no confidence, no motivation, no sense of team spirit, no fight and most importantly, no leadership on the Park. He gets rid of Milligan and Bartley who at least had a bit of grit and determination even although not for the full ninety minutes but a half a piece would be better than what we’ve got.
It’s time to face the truth and bite the bullet before it’s too late.

The warning signs were there with his team selections in the league cup group stages and his bizarre post match interviews. Add to that a failure to address the glaring deficiencies in our midfield.

Hibernia&Alba
15-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Did he have an uphill battle to win over the support? Genuine question - I hadn't heard of him but liked most of what he was promising, so I quite happy. Maybe it was more about Appleton seemingly rejecting us that soured the atmosphere a little?

Most fans I spoke to (myself included) were ambivalent about the appointment, had their doubts, but were willing to get give him a chance. I felt he had a lot to prove and would need to win over the fans quickly, which he did for about five games. I did think he'd quickly be under pressure if form dipped.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 10:05 AM
No it does not, he might have failed but that does not mean that he wasn’t a decent candidate for the job during the application process. No one can predict the future, it happens in all walks of life.

We’re seven months down the line and all we hear from him is about how different it is up here.

He’s talked the talk but can’t walk the walk. Not the right guy. Not the right candidate. Dempster and Craig got it wrong and need to sort it. Now.

turn and burn
15-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Most fans I spoke to (myself included) were ambivalent about the appointment, had their doubts, but were willing to get give him a chance. I felt he had a lot to prove and would need to win over the fans quickly, which he did for about five games. I did think he'd quickly be under pressure if form dipped.

Form dipping and absolutely no sign of any of his promises coming to light, deserved pressure :agree:

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 10:09 AM

This guy comes along with his sports degree, laptop and ‘modern outlook’ and she fell for it big time.

A quick glance at how it worked out for Hearts under Cathro should have been enough.

We need to ditch the nicey nice stuff that she’s been trying to instil in the club and develop a nasty streak.

Her and Budge are on their own wee missions to try and help the community or whatever it is they do.

It’s no wonder we’re both struggling when neither is focussed on the first team.

Agree with this. They’re forgetting what is important and seem happy to revert to being the Hibs that we’ve been for most of our days. We’ve had a brilliant opportunity with the number of people coming through the door and we’re going to lose that.

It not to late to fix it but I don’t think they have the bottle to do it.

Hibernia&Alba
15-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Form dipping and absolutely no sign of any of his promises coming to light, deserved pressure :agree:

Yes, it's all gone south very quickly after a promising first few games.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Yes the Omeonga situation pretty much sums up why we are where we are. By all accounts he wanted to come back and if that's the case then it's inexplicable we didn't pay the required money to get him. We paid the money for his 1st loan so presumably it was within our budget to sign him again.

Instead we risked crazy money on players from the lower English leagues where there was always going to be question marks on their ability.

A complete balls up by the Club in pre season which will take a long time to recover from.
It won't take a long time, it will take 2 good windows.

Neymar wanted to join Barcelona this summer but they didn't get him. Almost as if transfers aren't that simple at all. Are there any quotes from Omeonga saying he wants to return? Nothing to really suggest it was actually possible so really bizarre to hold this against the club. A Belgian u21 international with Serie a experience was never joining permanently, honestly you'd have to be quiet naive to think so.

Yes, the person who hired Neil Lennon is trying to make us a nice team who doesn't offend anyone. Total rubbish.

Helensburghhibs
15-09-2019, 10:11 AM

100%

ben johnson
15-09-2019, 10:25 AM
He needs to go

As in the Sopranos he needs to go ??

calumhibee1
15-09-2019, 10:26 AM
As in the Sopranos he needs to go ??

:greengrin

ben johnson
16-09-2019, 12:32 PM
I received a text from a guy who I know in Leeds
On PH appointment I received a text that said

Thinking of you at this difficult time

I had hoped to ram the words down his throat but alas.....

Mantis Toboggan
16-09-2019, 12:36 PM

How do you propose we become nastier exactly? I think we should become better mainly.

The Leith Dutch
16-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Definitely need to punt PH though I think it's a bit harsh saying Dempster fell for it.
She's made 4 managerial moves at Hibs and this is the only one that hasn't been something I've thought worked out - Firing Butcher, Hiring Stubbs, Hiring Lennon (albeit the latter ended badly)

One of the main problems with the 'modern outlook' for me is that it doesn't always work on a lower budget.

I've said before that I suspect PH is trying to play something like Jurgen Klopp's style but it's a style that falls apart without good quality players.
Klopp's team has hugely talented (and just as importantly) rounded players with fantastic engines. He also has a reputation and charisma that I think will have players prepared to run through a wall for him.

We need a manager who understands how to p*ss with the c*ck he has.

The Leith Dutch
16-09-2019, 12:58 PM
How do you propose we become nastier exactly? I think we should become better mainly.

Ironically, a team talk of "Just do what you were doing only, y'know, better" would probably be an upgrade on PH's patter.

Torto7
16-09-2019, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=The Leith Dutch;5929166]Definitely need to punt PH though I think it's a bit harsh saying Dempster fell for it.
She's made 4 managerial moves at Hibs and this is the only one that hasn't been something I've thought worked out - Firing Butcher, Hiring Stubbs, Hiring Lennon (albeit the latter ended badly)

One of the main problems with the 'modern outlook' for me is that it doesn't always work on a lower budget.

I've said before that I suspect PH is trying to play something like Jurgen Klopp's style but it's a style that falls apart without good quality players.
Klopp's team has hugely talented (and just as importantly) rounded players with fantastic engines. He also has a reputation and charisma that I think will have players prepared to run through a wall for him.

We need a manager who understands how to p*ss with the c*ck he has.[/QUOTE

I take your general point but Klopp's style is the opposite of what you posted. His tactics are actually designed to beat bigger clubs. At Mainz, Dortmund pre revival and Liverpool post Rodgers he was fighting an uphill struggle but still proved himself. Heckingbottoms teams are slow and unmotivated, I really can't see even a hint of Klopp at Hibs just now.

Forza Fred
16-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Hecky didn’t work out and should be gone soon.

However, as someone who regularly used to sit on interview panels for fairly senior positions, it wasn’t uncommon for the panel to interview someone, think he/she performed at interview well and was the best candidate, and give him/her the job.

Only to find later that while s/he TALKED well when it came to actually doing the job they were not up to it.

It happens throughout any industry, football included.

A severance package and move on.

Some on here are baying for blood for appointing Hecky,
but it will neither be the first nor the last time a manager failed to live up to expectations and was moved on,

Scouse Hibee
16-09-2019, 02:27 PM

However, as someone who regularly used to sit on interview panels for fairly senior positions, it wasn’t uncommon for the panel to interview someone, think he/she performed at interview well and was the best candidate, and give him/her the job.

Only to find later that while s/he TALKED well when it came to actually doing the job they were not up to it.

but it will neither be the first nor the last time a manager failed to live up to expectations and was moved on,

Exactly, I have said this already on a thread but some don’t seem to get it.

Global Hibby
16-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Thankfully the severance package isn’t to severe this time around Fred......three months notice I believe.

SingaporeHibs
16-09-2019, 03:32 PM
As it says.

It’s turned out that Heck is the wrong man and needs to go but who knows if Appleton would have been any better. I know this much, if I was interviewing candidates for a job at work and one of them was arguing over how much I should pay them once I had to sack them they certainly wouldn’t be getting anywhere near the position.
Easy in hindsight to say Hecky should never have got the job in the first place but it was anyone’s Guess as to whether he would work out or not. His signings have been shockingly bad and that’s going to cost him his job.

MyJo
16-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Spot on.

He seems like a genuinely likeable guy and clearly talks a good game so it's easy to see why he would be so impressive in an interview setting.

LD isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last, to find themselves in this situation with someone they recruited and it's hardly career ending stuff for her like some on here are suggesting.

She emptied Butcher rather than keeping him on after relegation and the two previous managers she has been involved in recruiting have done well for us so I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to PH getting the job.

He will be gone soon enough and then we move on like we have done in the past with managers who leave.

Spitting venom at LD & the club and making out that PH getting the job is down to either her incompetence or not caring for Hibs will be what does the most damage to us.

It needs to stop.

The Leith Dutch
16-09-2019, 06:14 PM
I take your general point but Klopp's style is the opposite of what you posted. His tactics are actually designed to beat bigger clubs. At Mainz, Dortmund pre revival and Liverpool post Rodgers he was fighting an uphill struggle but still proved himself. Heckingbottoms teams are slow and unmotivated, I really can't see even a hint of Klopp at Hibs just now.

Sorry - probably didn't make it clear that I don't think PH's Hibs teams are looking anything like a Klopp team.

Just that I think in his head that's what he's shooting for - heavy on the attacking players in the line up, lots of energy closing the opposition down and playing high tempo.
We're nothing like that on the park but I genuinely think that's what's in the man's head.

16-09-2019, 06:24 PM
The worrying think is Hecky being interviewed.Totally deflated and looks like he’s given up. No wonder players aren’t motivated!

I said the same. Looks like a man totally out his depth. Nothing inspiring from him at all.

barcahibs
16-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Sorry but couldn't disagree with this statement more.

Though it is time PH moved on, it's been a bad appointment, it happens. Hopefully LD gets us moving forward in the right direction again with the next manager.

jacomo
16-09-2019, 10:41 PM

PH talks the same game as Klopp - high press, energy, etc - but the problem is that the team look nothing like it.

As said above, Klopp was doing the same thing when he had his first job at Mainz... and he didn’t have much money to spend there.

steakbake
16-09-2019, 11:58 PM
Once a manager’s reputation has started to decline, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone turn it around. No matter how long they’re given.

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Once a manager’s reputation has started to decline, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone turn it around. No matter how long they’re given.

Usually but he needs the team to start performing over 90 mins and get results now. Players need to take huge responsibility also we lose a goal and bottle it. Pity both Gray and Daz are out as they are exactly the characters we need in a Derby.

calumhibee1
17-09-2019, 06:17 AM

:agree:

It never happens.

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 06:19 AM
:agree:

It never happens.

There will be exceptions to the rule but it is rare. Only thing that changes it is wins and performances.

BILLYHIBS
17-09-2019, 06:20 AM
His post match interview when it was eventually released on Saturday night he looked like a broken man

Dead man walking

calumhibee1
17-09-2019, 06:22 AM
There will be exceptions to the rule but it is rare. Only thing that changes it is wins and performances.

There probably will be somewhere but off the top of my head I can’t think of any. I think changing everyone’s mind would take a set of results that just wouldn’t be possible.. a good run of results wouldn’t be enough, it would need to be exceptional, league winning style form over at least a 10 or so game period imo.

The Leith Dutch
17-09-2019, 06:56 AM
There probably will be somewhere but off the top of my head I can’t think of any. I think changing everyone’s mind would take a set of results that just wouldn’t be possible.. a good run of results wouldn’t be enough, it would need to be exceptional, league winning style form over at least a 10 or so game period imo.

Agree with the bit in bold.

I think his biggest problem there is the next four.
He's been particularly bad against the OF and Aberdeen away is always tricky so can't see us getting anything from either of those.

It's really on the fact that he's got two games that offer more than just the win - everyone loves a derby win and the other one is progress in a cup.
Don't think he's got it in him to win them fwiw.

For me he should have been punted by Monday morning.
He wasn't so he's going to be in charge for the Derby and, I'd bet the house, for the Killie cup game.

If you want predictions I reckon we get a draw with Hearts and them lose the next 4 with him being punted after the Hamilton game on the 19th.
That's far too late imo but I kind of suspect that's where this is headed.

J-C
17-09-2019, 11:22 AM
To get the high energy pressing game you need young hungry talented players. I watched AV last night and the way they chased and harried is exactly what I want to see from Hibs. 2 points from last night, left winger got a bollacking from the CH and thereafter chased everything, McGinn lost the ball in WH half and ran back 40yds to get it back in the 85th minute.

steakbake
17-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Usually but he needs the team to start performing over 90 mins and get results now. Players need to take huge responsibility also we lose a goal and bottle it. Pity both Gray and Daz are out as they are exactly the characters we need in a Derby.

Good point, Jim. I thought one of the issues in the Saints game when Allan was substituted and the boos rang out, is that he was/is one of the few who seems both capable and interested of grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and could produce an individual moment of skill which gets his team mates enthusiastic.

I fear for us on Sunday but I am glad we're meeting them at a time we're equally *****.