PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 14 09 19)

Jonnyboy
14-09-2019, 08:05 PM
As I left Rugby Park this afternoon, I remarked to my brother that I thought having lost the fans Hecky now seemed to have lost some of the players. A good few had me feeling that all was not well in the camp and although we played well in patches, sadly without ever looking like scoring, there was a lack of edge to the play with too many just not turning in the kind of performance we all know is within them to achieve.

As usual, I was angry that we’d lost again and my initial thoughts were that we were dominated by a hungrier and more motivated team but on the drive home my anger cooled a tad and I found myself agreeing with Derek Ferguson on Sportsound who offered the view that we’d been the better team in the first half but lacked the final killer pass or shot. He also felt that in the second we simply let our heads drop after conceding an eminently avoidable first goal. I still felt Killie looked organised, powerful and above all motivated by their manager which we were not in all three instances.

On the subject of Sportsound, I heard Allan Preston offer the view that Hibs are better than Hearts at the moment and that the home side will win the derby next Sunday. Unlike with Ferguson I cannot agree and feel that if it were possible for both sides to lose, that would be the outcome. I suppose if nothing else, Hibs’ current struggles might temper the number of green tinted claims as to how we are going to thrash them.

Anyway, back to the Killie game where both Naismith and Hallberg made their debuts and Porteous made a welcome return to the centre of defence. Hallberg was joined in the middle by Allan, Vela and Mallan with Horgan playing off Kamberi up top. One thing that became immediately obvious to me was that we were, as Hecky insisted he wanted, defending better from the front with Allan and Hallberg in particular working hard to close defenders down as Killie set themselves to play out from the back.

The first chance of the game saw a Kamberi effort go wrong side of the post before a slip from Porteous allowed McKenzie the chance to shoot but his effort struck a team mate and rolled harmlessly through to Marciano. Two more efforts from Hibs offered some hope to the travelling fans as first Horgan drifted in from the right and struck a fine shot on goal with his left foot that had keeper Branescu acrobatically tipping the effort over the bar. Next, Scott Allan was unceremoniously upended about twenty yards from goal and Mallan’s excellent attempt took a cracking save from the keeper with Vela thundering a shot in from the resultant corner which was blocked to stop Hibs taking the lead. It must be said that at this point, both debutants were catching the eye in a positive way but were let down by poor performers around them but more of that later.

With half time approaching all of Hibs’ huff and puff had produced nothing in terms of goals and they were lucky on the stroke of half time as a Killie player headed a corner wide of target when scoring looked easier. As an aside the male assistant referee on that side of the pitch got the corner call right but was woeful in not noticing that not once but twice the ball had crossed the line for a Hibs throw. He was caught watching the movement of attackers instead of doing his job correctly and watching the position of the ball.

I’ll be honest and say I was amazed that the manager made no changes at half time because at least two of our midfield players were very poor indeed. Those players, Horgan and Allan, contributed next to nothing with the former eliciting the thought that he couldn’t cross two randy dugs after yet another attempt sailed high and wide whilst Allan had clearly left his magic boots in the kit hamper. Perhaps the manager was loathe to replace Scotty given the furore the last time he did it but even the biggest of Scott Allan fans and I include myself amongst them, could see he was miles from his best.

Around ten minutes into the second half, Hibs were caught cold by a high ball forward that Porteous misjudged the flight of and saw Marciano seemingly reluctant to ‘sweeper keep’ allowing Millar to run in on goal and strike the ball home to put his side a goal up. At the game I was angry at Marciano but the incident was at the other end and so maybe he couldn’t come out to clear the danger?

At the other end, Hallberg thrashed the ball home from close range but referee Clancy had already blown for an infringement in the box. I think it was for a push by Kamberi which was ironic because the Killie defenders had been pushing and pulling Kamberi throughout the game without the punishment of a free kick being awarded.

With around twenty minutes still to go the manager finally decided he’d seen enough of Horgan’s contribution and replaced him with Doidge. A Mallan effort went straight to the keeper and then Brophy shot into the side net before Hallberg retired with cramp and Newell replaced him. For me that was yet another baffling decision as having introduced Doidge the manager should have brought on someone that could provide heading opportunities, Middleton being the obvious choice. Instead we left ourselves with no width and a striker whose strength is in the air.

Around ten minutes remained when a shocking error by Hanlon gifted the hosts the ball on the half way line and they wasted no time in surging forward against a now depleted defence, passing their way around it and giving El Makrini the easiest of chances to strike the ball beyond Marciano.

The mood in the away stand markedly changed at this point with many voicing their displeasure at the manager and if I’m honest, that was no real surprise. Another save from Marciano stopped a third goal but the game was petering out when a cut back by Kamberi arrived slightly behind Doidge and the big striker got a foot to it but couldn’t deflect it on goal. It was yet another bad day at the office and the pressure will now surely build on the manager but the players also need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had a couple of good saves but his distribution remains woeful. Also, until I see the incident again I’m holding him at least partially responsible for the loss of the first goal.

Naismith – He’s a big lad and for a first showing I thought he did well enough to win my man of the match award.

Porteous – My mate said he thought Ryan looked a bit ring rusty and I tend to agree. His misjudgement of the flight of the ball for the opener wasn’t his only error of the day but I’m sure he’ll come good with the passing of time.

Hanlon – Another poor outing from Paul and his mistake leading to the second goal was of schoolboy proportions.

Stevenson – Lewis was fine, got little help from Horgan and was basically as solid as we’ve all (well, maybe not all) come to expect.

Hallberg – Put in a good shift and I wasn’t surprised he suffered from cramp late on. Got about the pitch well and picked out the occasional pass but one thing he is not, despite all of our hopes, is a strong tackling deep lying midfielder.

Vela – Floated around the midfield area but didn’t really contribute a great deal to the game. I’m not sure he clearly understands what his role is or maybe he does and the manager has failed to see he’s not very good at it.

Mallan – If anyone is suffering a drop in form due to the efforts of his team mates it is Stevie Mallan. I know that many see him as a waste of a jersey but get a decent midfield around him and the goals and assists will return.

Allan – That’s the poorest I’ve seen Scott play, across all three of his stints at the club and you have to wonder at this dramatic loss of form. I could speculate but I’ll leave that to others I think.

Horgan – I have to pause when writing about him because he infuriates me like no other player at Easter Road. Yes he scored two goals against Hearts – well done son but today was the Horgan we see in every other game – poor, lacking in desire and very much a passenger.

Kamberi – Once again Flo worked his socks off, got no protection from a referee that penalised every one of Flo’s nudges and tugs, and waited in vain in the box having made the intelligent run only to witness Scotty not picking him out.

Doidge – Brought on but denied the fuel that he needs to perform. Big striker, no width – go figure.

Newell – Guys beside me had written him off before he even touched the ball. I’m for giving him a chance to show he’s got it although I’m sure many will tell me he’s already had it.

Hecky – Who did he blame this week?

Clancy – Appalling referee, end of.

The fans – A very noisy singing section, who practised the Mercer songs for next week. It’s not big and it’s not clever folks.

PH91
14-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Another excellent report, thanks, i agree with the majority.

I do think you are overly harsh on horgan though as i dont think he lacks desire or hides in games. I read somewhere (likely on here) that he covers more ground than any other player and i can believe that. He does infuriate, however, as he gets lots of the ball in the final third but his crossing is more often than not terrible and he never takes on the full back and gets to the byline, which he has the ability to do. I sometimes wonder if he is told to cut in and deliver every time.

I would give mom to stevenson, who was our only consistent performer. Naismith had a solid first half but i thought he really tired in the second and struggled with millar in the last part of the game. He will be a good addition though.

hibsboy69
14-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Wasn't there, so thanks for the report

I know you don't like Horgan very much......but one thing that baffles me is that the manager rarely plays Doidge and Horgan together.

One thing Horgan can do is put decent crosses in with both feet..........and I'm sure he would do if there was a target to aim at. Surely Doidge would thrive on the service ?!?

Depressing season already.......dreading next Sunday :offski:

CMurdoch
14-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Thanks for this.
Didn't make the game and had to be content with listening.

No mention on radio commentary of any blame attached to Marciano for the 1st goal, was laid square at Ryan's door.

I was gutted to see Mallan, Allan & Horgan all in the team when it was announced.
Was hoping for the heaviest, tallest and strongest team we could muster.

To that end I would be replacing Hanlon with Jackson for the Derby.
Other changes, start Doidge upfront with Flo.
Which leaves the cluster f that is midfield.
Would probably remove all 3 pimples to start with Vela, Hallberg, Slivka and Middleton.

We need as much strength and power as we can muster for the first hour.

villahibs
14-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Horgan improved a little after the break... first half however was as poor a performance as I can remember.

Fife-Hibee
14-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Hard to disagree with any of that. The heads dropping after the first goal is all too common a problem at our club. We're a soft touch that needs to instil a tougher culture. Simply giving up when the chips are down is not on at this level. Either players are prepared to play for the full 90, or not at all.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 09:55 PM
:aok:

Thanks for taking the time to post JB your insight into our away games is as an invaluable must read as a Doug Baillie or Jack Harkness match report was back in the olden days in the old Sunday Post

I agree that Hallberg and Naismith look good additions but once again will take time to settle and time is one thing that Hecky does not have at this point in time

Porto possibly at fault for the first goal but the youngster does not look fully fit and a big weight was passed onto young shoulders today and as you quite rightly said with more games he will come good

Vela or Hallberg do not look like the holding defensive midfield Matty Jack type enforcer we have been crying out for since long before preseason

I fear that things started to go pear shaped for Hecky when McWinless hijacked his deal for Ojo especially after he had already released Bartley and Milligan for that position

Scotty Allan in his third stint at the club has that look of someone who is asking himself “What have I done coming back into this shambles?”

ancient hibee
14-09-2019, 10:04 PM
I notice that you say that Allan worked hard closing down defenders but also had a very poor game.Do you think the two things are connected?

Jonnyboy
14-09-2019, 10:07 PM
I notice that you say that Allan worked hard closing down defenders but also had a very poor game.Do you think the two things are connected?

Possibly, although Scotty has enough skill to pick a pass whether he's tired from all the running or not. He didn't today and that's a real concern in my book

ancient hibee
14-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Thanks.

The Captain....
14-09-2019, 10:09 PM
A worrying sign for us is that there are periods in games when we are on top or at least in the hunt and then we concede and thereafter look finished.

A combination of conceding avoidable goals and not converting decent periods of pressure into goals is a recipe for disaster.

Hecky has completely lost the support now..its a matter of when not if he goes. A win against Hearts is vital..so somehow he needs to get a performance from the players. I dont see him being relieved of his duties just yet. It may get worse before it gets better.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
15-09-2019, 07:30 AM
I thought we were better yesterday than at Motherwell...

Vela and Hallberg gave us more security in front of the defence. Porto had a decent game back - albeit will be cursing himself for their first goal...Naismith had a good first half...overall, until the second goal went in - work-rate couldn’t be faulted

We passed the ball well, created a few chances , didn’t really trouble their goalie mind you ..

The substitutions were surprising...I’d have thought Shaw (who looked lively v Well, and Middleton a more energetic player) would have been better options...

As said above though - lots of possession without scoring, coupled with always losing goals is a recipe for a very tough season ..

AZhibee
15-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Forza Fred
15-09-2019, 08:05 AM
It’s a results driven job, and I’m afraid Hecky isn’t getting any good ones.

My take on the game which I watched live on Hibs TV was that for the first 25 minutes we were clearly on top, but from that point, the longer the game went on without us scoring, the inevitability of Killie scoring came closer.

I thought Flo tried hard, and even Horgan, despite the criticism of his ‘effort’, but we should never confuse ‘activity’ with ‘achievement’ and I am afraid that while he can run around like a headless chicken all day, Horgan usually fails to achieve anything.

The subs contributed not one jot to proceedings, and one has to offer if Ollie Shaw can’t get a game in that starting line up just now, then he probably never will.

I’m afraid Hecky is running out of options and the future under him is worryingly like a rerun of the Butcher days.

Oscar T Grouch
15-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Good report as ever. Allan’s hair was also off form yesterday, it looked terrible. After a discussion with a mate I paid special attention to Lewis yesterday. My mate said Lewis doesn’t pass a ball forward, so I spent the game watching him. He never once in the 90 (minus about 5 mins for a pee break) did I see a forward pass from him. Every time it was sideways or more likely backwards. I’m a big fan of Lewis but watching him yesterday almost made me angry, he always chose a backwards or sideways pass even when the best option was a forward pass. Hanlon was rotten too. Is it time for major changes and time to get rid of some of our cup winning heroes? I’d prefer not but if they keep playing the way they are they can not justify their places in the team.

JimBHibees
15-09-2019, 08:23 AM
It’s a results driven job, and I’m afraid Hecky isn’t getting any good ones.

My take on the game which I watched live on Hibs TV was that for the first 25 minutes we were clearly on top, but from that point, the longer the game went on without us scoring, the inevitability of Killie scoring came closer.

I thought Flo tried hard, and even Horgan, despite the criticism of his ‘effort’, but we should never confuse ‘activity’ with ‘achievement’ and I am afraid that while he can run around like a headless chicken all day, Horgan usually fails to achieve anything.

The subs contributed not one jot to proceedings, and one has to offer if Ollie Shaw can’t get a game in that starting line up just now, then he probably never will.

I’m afraid Hecky is running out of options and the future under him is worryingly like a rerun of the Butcher days.

Wasn't there yesterday but was at Motherwell and Oli looked sharp when he came on. Selection is bizarre constant changes no consistency. Doesn't know best team or shape astonished we have not tried 3 at the back given the number of goals we are losing.

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Hmmm 🤔 I’m thinking I might know who Jonnyboy is with some of the little clues you have given. Not that it matters a lot tbh and I’m probably miles off anyway!

Anyhoo thanks for the report, really enjoy reading your analysis. 👍

Since452
15-09-2019, 09:28 AM
How many times am i going to see for myself or read about Marciano being at fault for goals and woefull distribution before he's dropped? Seems untouchable.

WestStandWillie
15-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Horgan needs a slap. Utterly useless player. Punt him in January if his performances don’t improve.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 10:16 AM
How many times am i going to see for myself or read about Marciano being at fault for goals and woefull distribution before he's dropped? Seems untouchable.

Same with Hanlon.

ano hibby
15-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for writing this report. It must be especially hard to come back from such a dispiriting performance and write so informatively & well.
Thanks Johnnyboy

Jonnyboy
15-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Hmmm 🤔 I’m thinking I might know who Jonnyboy is with some of the little clues you have given. Not that it matters a lot tbh and I’m probably miles off anyway!

Anyhoo thanks for the report, really enjoy reading your analysis. 👍

I’m intrigued about the clues 😀 What were they? 😂

Billy Whizz
15-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Think its the big white beard Jonnyboy

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Clue number 1. Your analysis are grammatically of a high standard which suggests you may have been or still are a teacher of some sort.

Clue number 2. Your love for Hibernian 👌🏿

Clue number 3. You attend the games with your brother.

As you can see my evidence is overwhelming 😊

MSK
15-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Clue number 1. Your analysis are grammatically of a high standard which suggests you may have been or still are a teacher of some sort.

As you can see my evidence is overwhelming 😊90 years old and he has his first stalker 😆

Jonnyboy
15-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Think its the big white beard Jonnyboy

😂

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 12:19 PM
90 years old and he has his first stalker 😆

😆

Jonnyboy
15-09-2019, 01:27 PM

As you can see my evidence is overwhelming 😊

Overwhelming but not strictly accurate 😉

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Overwhelming but not strictly accurate 😉

Gotcha 😉or maybe not 🤔😂😂😂

judas
15-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Thanks for this report and the ‘two randy dugs’ expression which I’d never heard before :-)

SeanWilson
15-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Wasn't there, so thanks for the report

I know you don't like Horgan very much......but one thing that baffles me is that the manager rarely plays Doidge and Horgan together.

One thing Horgan can do is put decent crosses in with both feet..........and I'm sure he would do if there was a target to aim at. Surely Doidge would thrive on the service ?!?

Depressing season already.......dreading next Sunday :offski:

One thing you would never seen in the same sentence is Horgan and good crosses with both feet 🤣 do you watch Hibs?

danderchook
15-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Better than any newspaper report and refreshingly honest, ever thought of applying for the managers job, if it should ever become vacant that is :wink::wink: