PDA

View Full Version : New Manager Requirements

Pretty Boy
14-09-2019, 06:09 PM
It's surely now a case of when rather than if Hibs do the right thing by everyone and sack, or mutually consent, Heckingbottom. So what are the key qualities his successor has to have that he has lacked?

I think first and foremost we have to get back to the system that saw us sign players like McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie, Allan (1st time around) and a few gems from England like Bartley and Fontaine. Yes there was the odd dud as well but on the whole we had a recruitment process that was working. For whatever reason we have either let standards slip or abandoned the process. So a new manager should either fit into that set up or be willing and able to challenge the elements of it which he identifies as failing.

Secondly an ability to build a rapport with the fans. Stubbs and Lennon both had it. A fan base can make or break a manager so the ability to get a bulk of us onside and thinking positively about Hibs again is key.

I'm not as convinced an in depth knowledge of Scottish football is as key as some believe but I certainly think we need someone who understands the style and tempo of football here. You need a grafter or 2 in a team in Scotland and with hindsight letting 2 defensive midfielders go and not replacing them with either a like for like or a tenacious McGinn type should have been a huge warning sign about the current manager.

Finally on a more general note Hibs need to up their game when it comes to communicating with fans. Up until last season I can never remember Hibs seeming so communicative and the players so accessible. That built a real bond between the sqaud and the fans. That has all but evaporated and the 'daily Darren' and 'wallpaper Wednesday' just don't compete with the likes of the 'Fontaine of Knowledge' and other ideas that had gone before. A manager can be part of that and having a few players encourage to show a bit of willingness to and enthusiasn when interacting with the fans would go a long way to rebuilding a fractured relationship.

we are hibs
14-09-2019, 06:16 PM
The next manager has to be willing to take the game to both celtic and rangers. Stubbs and Lennon had us taking both on with a bravery and belief we can more than match them. Heckingbottom sets us up to defend for 90. It feels like as a club we have lost our identity in the last year and a bit. The one the club and previous players and management workee so hard to regain. We need that back desperately. The trust between the support and team is waining again

makaveli1875
14-09-2019, 06:28 PM
The next manager has to be willing to take the game to both celtic and rangers. Stubbs and Lennon had us taking both on with a bravery and belief we can more than match them. Heckingbottom sets us up to defend for 90. It feels like as a club we have lost our identity in the last year and a bit. The one the club and previous players and management workee so hard to regain. We need that back desperately. The trust between the support and team is waining again

Did Stubbs ever manage us against Celtic? Can't remember it if he did

Pretty Boy
14-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Did Stubbs ever manage us against Celtic? Can't remember it if he did

He didn't.

I take the general point though. Stubbs generally sent us out to try and win against Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen on the one occasion he played them. It's fair to assume he would have done the same against Celtic. Under both of the last 2 managers you generally felt you had a chance going into one of those types of games and would see a performance (Aberdeen somewhat excepted under Lennon as he seemed to find them tough to crack). Now we are heading into a Derby against an awful Hearts teams and I'm fearing they could beat us.

Amit
14-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Requirements

- A record of winning cup competitions (or achieving promotion - as it still shows winning mentality)
- Head Coach (or assistant) must have a link to the Scottish game
- Head Coach must have played at a high level (e.g. top division/international) in the game
- Must be unattached (unlikely we’ll be able to pay compensation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyrougier123
14-09-2019, 06:53 PM
The confidence of stubbs

The fire of lennon

And the ability to say george craig canny pick his nose.

In all honesty our problems are coming from the recruitment aligned with bad coaching.

We need a gaffer with experience now imo.preferably with a wider array of tactics and a wee bit of passion for success.

Vault Boy
14-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Agree with the OP. Knowledge of the Scottish game is key for me. Certainly doesn't have to be a Scottish manager, but a coach who has playing experience in the Scottish game and understands the value of managing a club like Hibs.

We need to be refocusing on the acquisition of young, home-grown talent. They're the players that develop into the likes of McGinn, McGeouch, McGregor and Allan.

Play good football, build a team with identity, show you give a toss and win some bloody games.

I don't think that's asking too much.

stoneyburn hibs
14-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Robinson

Crab apple
14-09-2019, 06:57 PM
He didn't.

I take the general point though. Stubbs generally sent us out to try and win against Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen on the one occasion he played them. It's fair to assume he would have done the same against Celtic. Under both of the last 2 managers you generally felt you had a chance going into one of those types of games and would see a performance (Aberdeen somewhat excepted under Lennon as he seemed to find them tough to crack). Now we are heading into a Derby against an awful Hearts teams and I'm fearing they could beat us.

Hearts are the one team we may be able to beat just now and that’s solely because Potter is more inept than Heckingbottom.

Hibeewilly
14-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Hearts are the one team we may be able to beat just now and that’s solely because Potter is more inept than Heckingbottom.
Don't kid yourself CA.....Levein will have them so fired up next Sunday they'll be bouncing off the dressing room walls...…..I don't see us competing with the fire theyll have in their bellys. We are so soft its frightening. Im dreading next Sunday

Walter
15-09-2019, 09:02 AM
I would like a German coach, with some Scottish input. Maybe I'm just being swayed by klopp and ****e but they seem to promote up and at them football and get players playing for them

bingo70
15-09-2019, 10:05 AM
For me he needs to have a first name David and a surname Moyes.

In all seriousness though, it needs to be someone experienced imo. I normally advocate going for a young up and coming manager that might be brilliant but the situation we find ourselves in now we are too close to getting dragged into a relegation battle to gamble.

I’m sure someone will point out Butcher was experienced however other than Inverness he had been pretty ***** or a complete disaster wherever he’d been.

I’m not bothered about having experience of Scottish football, but an older head is needed in our current situation imo.

The Modfather
15-09-2019, 10:10 AM
If and when Heckingbottom goes we need to decide what we want, do we want a manager that will work closely with the scouting department (Stubbs), or do we want a manager who will recruit from his own knowledge and contacts (Lennon, Heckingbottom). It’s either one of the other IMO, obviously with some nuances. There’s no point having an all singing all dancing scouting department if it’s not being used properly.

I feel we should get back to signing predominantly Scottish players, but either promising players who’s career has stalled (Allan, Fyvie) or are on the way up (McGinn, McGeough) supplementing them with experienced, consistent, pros (McGregor, Bartley, Fontaine). Get creative in how we can afford the up and coming players (see McGinn deal) we normally couldn’t afford. As well using the loan market well for one or two. Only have to look at Maddison & Longstaff in the premiership to see the top prospects will come here on loan.

There’s a lot to be shipped out of this squad, but with Shaw, Mackie, Campbell, Stirling & Murray we already have 5 players for the larger squad. So next summer, after the sticking plasters of January, time to invest heavily in quality first team picks that will form the spine of the team for a few seasons.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 10:21 AM
David Moyes please.

bigwheel
15-09-2019, 10:26 AM
David Moyes please.

Do we really think Moyes would take a job where his yearly salary matched half his normal monthly salary ?

Can’t see it....tbh

The Modfather
15-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Another point, what is it we do differently in the January window to the summer window? We seem to be able to identify the problems and make a pretty good fist at fixing them in the short term in January - Kamberi & McLaren. McNulty & Omeonga. Yet we have a blind spot in the summer windows to the glaring deficiencies we can all see, pace, energy and bite in middle and genuine width.

ScottB
15-09-2019, 10:32 AM
For me, we’ve been at our best when we’ve taken a hungry, up and coming coach. Stubbs, Mowbray, that sort of guy.

I wouldn’t be adverse to trying to lure in Kennedy from Celtic, for example, or a youth couch from a bigger English side.

bingo70
15-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Do we really think Moyes would take a job where his yearly salary matched half his normal monthly salary ?

Can’t see it....tbh

He’s been on £0 salary for quite some time now.

He isn’t getting a job in England’s top 2 leagues any time soon I don’t think so he needs to rebuild his reputation. There’s no better place for him to do that than in Scotland.

His only other options to get back into work are likely to be somewhere like China, India or possibly the USA but even then I don’t think that would do much to restore his credibility.

I fear if we don’t make a move for him soon Hearts will and he’d be a great appointment for them.

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Can’t see it....tbh

If he wants to get back into management and he didn't have any other offers then why not?

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 10:36 AM
I’d like to see any new manager build a proper spine to our team. Starting with a ....
goalkeeper who can be consistent and reliable. Comfortable in possession.

A big ugly no nonsense centre half. ( CAPTAIN ) A talker/ bawler! Comfortable in possession/ walk out of defence and carry the ball through the channels if needs be.

A defensive midfielder who is strong in the tackle, good in the air and a ball winner. Needs to be able to make neat tidy passes. Again comfortable in possession.

A central striker who is hungry and isn’t scared of putting himself about. An absolute terror to play against.

We’ve needed a major overhaul for a while now but we seem to have kept hold of players who are past their best or have just went stale.

calumhibee1
15-09-2019, 10:37 AM
I would like a German coach, with some Scottish input. Maybe I'm just being swayed by klopp and ****e but they seem to promote up and at them football and get players playing for them

I don't think it would be the worst idea but I think it would probably be a bit of a slow burner. If we went down that route it would be something we'd have to commit to for a couple of years (unless it was an absolute disaster of course).

I can't really argue with anything PB has said tbh. Pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for when it comes to getting a new manager in.

hibbie02
15-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Berti Vogts? He has some Scottish input and some interesting ideas about how the game was played. Unfortunately most of them ended in defeat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Box 17
15-09-2019, 10:49 AM

In all seriousness though, it needs to be someone experienced imo. I normally advocate going for a young up and coming manager that might be brilliant but the situation we find ourselves in now we are too close to getting dragged into a relegation battle to gamble.

I’m sure someone will point out Butcher was experienced however other than Inverness he had been pretty ***** or a complete disaster wherever he’d been.

I’m not bothered about having experience of Scottish football, but an older head is needed in our current situation imo.

Tommy Wright fits your criteria.

Proven winner and knows how to manage within a small budget. We wouldn't get relegated, or anywhere close, under him.

Stuart93
15-09-2019, 11:11 AM

Proven winner and knows how to manage within a small budget. We wouldn't get relegated, or anywhere close, under him.

Would be another Terry Butcher-esque appointment imo

bigwheel
15-09-2019, 11:15 AM
If he wants to get back into management and he didn't have any other offers then why not?

Would be a high quality appointment...unlikely, but would give us a boost if we seek to replace PH...

bigwheel
15-09-2019, 11:16 AM
He’s been on £0 salary for quite some time now.

He isn’t getting a job in England’s top 2 leagues any time soon I don’t think so he needs to rebuild his reputation. There’s no better place for him to do that than in Scotland.

His only other options to get back into work are likely to be somewhere like China, India or possibly the USA but even then I don’t think that would do much to restore his credibility.

I fear if we don’t make a move for him soon Hearts will and he’d be a great appointment for them.

Think he will have lots of options ..including the leagues you discount ...can’t see it. But would be some appointment

Hermit Crab
15-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Would be a high quality appointment...unlikely, but would give us a boost if we seek to replace PH...

It would be a real statement of intent from the board thats for sure. Would get the fans back onside as well.

Box 17
15-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Would be another Terry Butcher-esque appointment imo

Any managerial appointment is a risk and Hibs have had their fair share of failures over the recent past.

That's why I think it is essential we get someone with a proven track record and there are very few out there that Hibs could realistically get. All successful managers are in jobs at the moment and will cost a lot to get, even if they wanted to come here in the first place.

Tommy Wright, who has won the Scottish cup and taken St Johnstone into Europe, is one of the very few around that has a successful, consistent track record over a sustained period in our league that we could realistically get.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Key thing for me is someone who is going to make it enjoyable again. I don’t expect us to win every game but I enjoyed going to games thinking that we could. I want to see a bit passion and enthusiasm again.

tonyrougier123
15-09-2019, 11:54 AM

No way on tommy wright from me.disaster written all over that one!

Peanut Shaz
15-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Someone with a decent proven track record and 'gets' Hibs and what it means to the fans.

Box 17
15-09-2019, 12:13 PM
No way on tommy wright from me.disaster written all over that one!

Get it that some people wouldn't be keen on him, but lets be realistic, we are not going to get a 'big name' successful manager coming to Hibs in the SPL.

I was only pointing out that in Wright's favour he would be within our budget, probably available, SPL experience (lots of), winner, passionate, has his team punching well above their weight and above all, an excellent overall track record.

Who else can we get that ticks all these boxes?

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Ian McCall anyone??

bigwheel
15-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Ian McCall anyone??

Not sure he is the right man - and won’t get much support on here - I quite like him though - like how he talks about football

Alex Trager
15-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Could you not say the same for Moyes and everton?

What’s Walter Smith doing these days? :-o

bingo70
15-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Could you not say the same for Moyes and everton?

No, he did a great job at PNE as well.

Also did a good job at West Ham.

Alex Trager
15-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Fair enough. I only really paid much attention to him at everton then man utd and zaragosa, was it?

I knew he’d managed again in england.

I’d be all for him to be fair. Liked what he done at everton.

Box 17
15-09-2019, 12:53 PM
We need to remember who we are and how much we can offer any prospective new manager. Some of the names on here and mentioned in previous threads are totally unrealistic.

To give you an idea, think back to the start of the year and our last search for a manager. After an extensive recruitment process the top two candidates were Appleton and Heckingbottom, that's the market we are in.

jacomo
15-09-2019, 12:55 PM
I’d say the ability to spot a player, coach and devise a good game plan are all essential requirements.

The kind of things you’d hope would be covered in a ‘thorough’ recruitment process.

Box 17
15-09-2019, 12:56 PM

And can probably earn a lot more in half a dozen appearances as a pundit on Sky Sports than he would in a season with us.

Alex Trager
15-09-2019, 12:58 PM
We need to remember who we are and how much we can offer any prospective new manager. Some of the names on here and mentioned in previous threads are totally unrealistic.

To give you an idea, think back to the start of the year and our last search for a manager. After an extensive recruitment process the top two candidates were Appleton and Heckingbottom, that's the market we are in.

Like Lennon would have been?

bingo70
15-09-2019, 12:59 PM
And can probably earn a lot more in half a dozen appearances as a pundit on Sky Sports than he would in a season with us.

Could still do that, Neil Lennon did plenty of tv work while our manager.

Moyes hasn’t been on work for ages, his next job is going to be about restoring his credibility rather than making money.

I’m sure Killie couldn’t have matched what steve Clarke was on at West Brom but they got him when he was unemployed and not earning anything else.

truehibernian
15-09-2019, 12:59 PM
I see Henrik Larsson is free after walking out on his club. Perhaps an unproven track record but superb knowledge of the game here and abroad. Someone like Hartson as an assistant to counter-balance things (and he has his badges). A risk and unlikely but what a pick-me-up that sort of appointment would be.

we are hibs
15-09-2019, 01:00 PM

I think youre seriously downplaying the size of the club.

Many people rubbished the idea that Lennon would take the job when he came into the bookies betting but it happened. Hibs are a big club with a big fan base. We are an attractive proposition.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 01:01 PM
I see Henrik Larsson is free after walking out on his club. Perhaps an unproven track record but superb knowledge of the game here and abroad. Someone like Hartson as an assistant to counter-balance things (and he has his badges). A risk and unlikely but what a pick-me-up that sort of appointment would be.

I’m not interested in our managers talking about Celtic non stop so nah no thanks he’s not even done that good a job as a manager.

Box 17
15-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Like Lennon would have been?

Okay, given that Lennon is already spoken for, what other 'Lennons' are out there that we could persuade to come to Hibs?

The_Horde
15-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Okay, given that Lennon is already spoken for, what other 'Lennons' are out there that we could persuade to come to Hibs?

There's some serious irony in some people complaining about certain managers failing elsewhere and then yearning for Lennon.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Derek Adams? Billy Davies? Owen Coyle?

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Not sure he is the right man - and won’t get much support on here - I quite like him though - like how he talks about football

Tbh I was never a big fan of his either. He’s a very abrupt type of character but I think that’s probably what we need. Sure headed and knows a player when he see’s one.

Weegreenman
15-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Derek Adams? Billy Davies? Owen Coyle?

No, no and no way!

Torto7
15-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Me three. I've always had time for McCall. It would be unpopular with the fans and risky though-he could go the way of Jim Duffy. He's only ever really had lower division managerial experience and seems to have an iffy record. However some guys become better as they get older and I think he's one of those types. He seems comfortable in his own skin atm and has his team playing to his style.

If not as manager I would consider him for some sort of role at the club.

heretoday
15-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Stephen Dobbie as player-manager. You know it makes sense.

Torto7
15-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Darren Fletcher and McFadden. :dunno:

PISTOL1875
15-09-2019, 06:15 PM
1. Play attacking football.

2. Know the scottish game..

3. be able to develop young players..

Pretty simple isn't it /????

Since452
16-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Roy Keane. Wants another manager gig and could be a good one to kick start his career. A slightly more unhinged version of Neil Lennon with a bigger pedigree to kick some *****. Box office appointment and one the fans would lap up.