PDA

View Full Version : He blew the entire budget on absolute DROSS!

California-Hibs
14-09-2019, 03:50 PM
How he was allowed to sign these players I'll never know. Absolutely terrible ability, hearts the size of a mouse, he's taken us so far backwards in such a short time its actually frightening. I was all about being positive but I just watched us literally only have 2 shots in a whole 90 minutes against a poor Kilmarnock team and yet ANOTHER brutal performance.

Get him out pronto!

AgentDaleCooper
14-09-2019, 03:52 PM
I think our squad could come good under a different manager.

Speedway
14-09-2019, 03:59 PM

What makes you think that?

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Look at the players that Motherwell brought in without hardly a penny paid in fees. Brought in to fit in to a plan.

neil7908
14-09-2019, 04:20 PM
What makes you think that?

I think we still have some good players in the team (not the ones he signed mind).

But I can imagine we'll struggle to offload some of his signings and could see the next managers budget being impacted.

Speedway
14-09-2019, 04:21 PM
I think we still have some good players in the team (not the ones he signed mind).

But I can imagine we'll struggle to offload some of his signings and could see the next managers budget being impacted.

6 out of 7 on the bench today were his signings with 3 in the starting line up.

Ozyhibby
14-09-2019, 04:23 PM

But Leeann said we had a good transfer window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
14-09-2019, 04:24 PM

Good might be stretching it but a decent manager could get more out of this side than the current incumbent.

Speedway
14-09-2019, 04:24 PM

She also said Oli Shaw was a better striker than Gabriel Batistuta.

Hibernia&Alba
14-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Not one of his signings has impressed me at all yet. It's worrying stuff.

matty_f
14-09-2019, 04:33 PM
What’s the point in signing a load of players to sit on the bench?

The longer it goes the more easy it is to come to the conclusion that he’s way out of his depth.

Gatecrasher
14-09-2019, 04:33 PM
How he was allowed to sign these players I'll never know. Absolutely terrible ability, hearts the size of a mouse, he's taken us so far backwards in such a short time its actually frightening. I was all about being positive but I just watched us literally only have 2 shots in a whole 90 minutes against a poor Kilmarnock team and yet ANOTHER brutal performance.

Get him out pronto!

This is why I think more than PH should be held accountable, absolute shocking state of affairs to be in after such a successful period. Its set the club back years.

neil7908
14-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Naturally Heck is in the firing line for the summer business but it can't stop at him. Who identified these players? How much scouting was done? Who was asking the manager how he planned to utilise them effectively?

Heck will be gone soon but there needs to be further analysis of how we ended up with so many duds on 3 year deals.

Scorrie
14-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Yep he clearly underestimated the job and Scottish Premiership football. His signings are woeful. Whoever sanctioned his appointment and those signings on long term deals needs looking at as well as they have failed big time

Captain Trips
14-09-2019, 05:19 PM
I do not know if he blew it on dross as the players already at club are also having a nightmare therefore you need to look at the man in charge is this isn't acceptable.

CapitalGreen
14-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Get him out pronto!

He did similar at Barnsley but apparently our managerial recruitment process doesn’t scrutinise why the majority of players he had signed for them had to be punted after he left.

The 90+2
14-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Just put them in a big skip and ship them off to some team for nowt.

DetroitHibs
14-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Hecky and the recruitment team need emptied. Pretty sure Doidge was someone the recruitment team identified and we *****ed most of the budget on.

California-Hibs
14-09-2019, 05:55 PM
He did similar at Barnsley but apparently our managerial recruitment process doesn’t scrutinise why the majority of players he had signed for them had to be punted after he left.

Its utterly shameful that they can't see these things

hibsbollah
14-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Where was Jackson today? If there's one signing that I think can emerge from this clustercopulation and be a decent addition it's him.

coldingham hibs
14-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Where was Jackson today? If there's one signing that I think can emerge from this clustercopulation and be a decent addition it's him.

Yes, Jackson has been decent & Hanlon has been murder. What on earth is going on.

Unseen work
14-09-2019, 06:22 PM
I find it hard to believe he wanted a big athletic fast team and then signed players that are nothing of the sort.

emerald green
14-09-2019, 06:25 PM

She had to say that in public I suppose.

However, that aside, does she really think signing lots of players amounts to "a good transfer window" only to discover they are nearly all way short of the quality required to play at this level?

kaimendhibs
14-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Where was Jackson today? If there's one signing that I think can emerge from this clustercopulation and be a decent addition it's him.Fair comment

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

mentalhibee
14-09-2019, 06:26 PM
If he signed them all why is he benching them? I think the recruitment team have a lot to answer for, everything seems wrong with hibs at the moment.

A Hi-Bee
14-09-2019, 07:02 PM
Hecky and the recruitment team need emptied. Pretty sure Doidge was someone the recruitment team identified and we *****ed most of the budget on.

Trouble is now Hibs are stuck with a bunch of duff mediocre players that will be hard to get shot of no matter who takes over, we will be left in the ***** and the ones responsible will not be here.

PH91
14-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Trouble is now Hibs are stuck with a bunch of duff mediocre players that will be hard to get shot of no matter who takes over, we will be left in the ***** and the ones responsible will not be here.

I am not convinced of that. Maybe its wishful thinking but, Doidge and Newell aside, i think the new players could perform well with the right players around them.

The guy on bbc scotland said he thought hibs were 1 midfield player (a defensive midfielder with a bit of leadership) away from being a good team. We need a bit more than that imo but anyone coming in has a half decent starting point.

The 90+2
14-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Stubbs will build a side out of our players. Absolutely guaranteed.

Leith Green
14-09-2019, 08:26 PM
She had to say that in public I suppose.

However, that aside, does she really think signing lots of players amounts to "a good transfer window" only to discover they are nearly all way short of the quality required to play at this level?

A good transfer window to Dempster will be signing players that the manager wanted and getting them in early. The fact that they look utter ***** is the managers fault. Its yet another black mark against the manager

hibbie02
14-09-2019, 08:51 PM
What’s the point in signing a load of players to sit on the bench?

The longer it goes the more easy it is to come to the conclusion that he’s way out of his depth.

Problem 1 is you don’t build teams by mass signings. We know that from the past. You need to have a core team and manage the contracts so the first team turnover is 2 or 3 players per season with a few backups. This is down to the recruitment team. They failed. You can’t ship out 11 players and try to replace them.

Problem 2 is that if you have a mass singing situation, you don’t buy from English League One and below. You certainly don’t piss away the budget with Forest bloody Green!

Problem 3 is that if you have pissed away the budget, maybe the answer is to look at the Development Team and see who are better than the dross you have signed. Fraser Murray is a prime example. Use players who want to play for the club. Journeymen will never give you that passion. I’d rather see us lose with fight than what we see now.

Problem 4 is to realise the manager has been backed but has not delivered on anything he has promised. He has not realised that the game here is not like England. The same happened with with a number of managers before.

These things were obvious early in Hecky’s tenure last season against bigger teams and we have gone backwards from then.

I got slated when I criticised his new signings and was accused of being a bed wetter but I take no pleasure in being vindicated now. He has to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hibbie02
14-09-2019, 08:54 PM
I’d keep Jackson and James. I think the emergency signings subsequently are out Recruitment team’s efforts and they will probably outlast the Hecky ones.

hibsboy69
14-09-2019, 08:58 PM

I think this statement is a sign of how bad we really are:boo hoo:

Jackson is slower than a week in the jail.......he gave away an inexplicable pen against Motherwell last week......and has been regularly dropped by the very man who signed him. if he emerges as a "decent addition" I'd be astonished.

Shambles

Hibeesforever
14-09-2019, 09:11 PM
The quality of player is below what we as fans saw in the Championship team, so are naturally wondering what the Heck is going on!

snedzuk
14-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Jackson is slower than a week in the jail.......he gave away an inexplicable pen against Motherwell last week......and has been regularly dropped by the very man who signed him. if he emerges as a "decent addition" I'd be astonished.

Shambles

This - skinned by Matt Kennedy umpteen times against st Johnstone

davym7062
14-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Stubbs will build a side out of our players. Absolutely guaranteed.

Absolutely

davym7062
14-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Shambles
This

Crab apple
14-09-2019, 11:05 PM

I think she’s got to say that given she appointed him and allowed him to blow our largest ever transfer budget on players that don’t even start. A sorry state of affairs.

FilipinoHibs
14-09-2019, 11:07 PM

Where are the Doidge defenders now?

Hermit Crab
14-09-2019, 11:08 PM
He's blew £1m on utter crap which we are now stuck with until January at the earliest, we could be adrift at the bottom of the league by then!

FilipinoHibs
14-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Absolutely

Seemingly lined up for after Hearts game. Bring him in now. According to guy who did some work for someone who works at East Mains.

JohnM1875
14-09-2019, 11:11 PM
It does seem like he's blurted away our transfer budget.

I'm just hoping that doesn't mean come January we're over keen to get money in so sell what few assets we have (Porto.... eh Flo. Thats about it really) for a reduced price due to desperation.

Unseen work
14-09-2019, 11:17 PM
He's blew £1m on utter crap which we are now stuck with until January at the earliest, we could be adrift at the bottom of the league by then!

Where exactly have you plucked that figure from?

Hermit Crab
14-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Where exactly have you plucked that figure from?

The 7 figure sum Ron invested? :dunno:

Heisenberg
14-09-2019, 11:40 PM
The 7 figure sum Ron invested? :dunno:

What makes you think that all went straight into the team? There’s absolutely no chance we’ve spent anywhere near £1m.

JohnM1875
14-09-2019, 11:49 PM
What makes you think that all went straight into the team? There’s absolutely no chance we’ve spent anywhere near £1m.

Not so sure about that. Only few players we have on loan are Maxwell and Naismith. Have to think we'll be paying all if not the majority of their wages.

No one is sure of the exact amount, but we all know its at least what, 150k for Doidge? Add in Vela, Newell, Jackson who I think we must have paid a signing on fee to convince to come here (really common). They all talk about other clubs being interested, let's not pretend any of them knew who we were before that and came here out of passion (see Ojo)

I think we've spent a load of money this summer. Just doesn't look to have been spent wisely is all.

Heisenberg
14-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Not so sure about that. Only few players we have on loan are Maxwell and Naismith. Have to think we'll be paying all if not the majority of their wages.

No one is sure of the exact amount, but we all know its at least what, 150k for Doidge? Add in Vela, Newell, Jackson who I think we must have paid a signing on fee to convince to come here (really common). They all talk about other clubs being interested, let's not pretend any of them knew who we were before that and came here out of passion (see Ojo)

I think we've spent a load of money this summer. Just doesn't look to have been spent wisely is all.

If we’ve spent anywhere near £1m it’ll go down as the worst transfer window in the history of the game.

JohnM1875
15-09-2019, 12:05 AM
If we’ve spent anywhere near £1m it’ll go down as the worst transfer window in the history of the game.

Then chalk it up! Heckingbottom has already come out an said we're skint.

All you have to do is think about it, we've made 10 signings with only what, two loans? It's been a shambles.

Forza Fred
15-09-2019, 12:28 AM
I find it hard to believe he wanted a big athletic fast team and then signed players that are nothing of the sort.

This puzzles me too.

Forza Fred
15-09-2019, 12:33 AM
I think she’s got to say that given she appointed him and allowed him to blow our largest ever transfer budget on players that don’t even start. A sorry state of affairs.

It does seem that anyone in her position can't win though.

Image if we DIDN'T sign them, as the manager wanted, and we were still crap.

Later on when sacked, the manager says 'I wanted to sign a few players but the CEO overruled me"

We'd all be taking the pitchfoks. to the CEO

Fitba, like choosing a manager it seems is not an exact science, and the 'known knowns' will only be known,after they have played.:wink:

Fife-Hibee
15-09-2019, 12:52 AM

Perhaps then, you'll cheer up a bit.

Real Emerald
15-09-2019, 12:57 AM
Why did we have to move Mackie (a development player) on to bring in a loanee and why is Hecky saying Efe wiould have to play for free if we brought him in. We have a smaller squad than some past years, have no debt, a decent investment from a new owner and we just must have some of the £2.7m (?) left from McGinn. Plus record modern day crowds and ST sales. Even if Hecky has blown the budget, why are we so skint. The McGinn money should be going towards replacing him. If we’re unwilling to give this manager any more to spend because he’s rotten, he seriously needs to be sacked NOW!

CloudSquall
15-09-2019, 02:08 AM
What does the recruitment team do? So far all I've seen so them following the manager's wishes.

pacoluna
15-09-2019, 02:46 AM
His signings have been absolutely dross, half the support couldn't name them. BRUTAL

basehibby
15-09-2019, 02:48 AM
If he signed them all why is he benching them? I think the recruitment team have a lot to answer for, everything seems wrong with hibs at the moment.

This hits the nail on the head, we have released first pick first team players in the likes of Miilligan and Omeonga without any direct replacement that I can see. We don't need bench fillers - we need players who can RAISE the bar. I've seen precious little of that with any of Hecky's signings so far - and it seems neither has he! As few if any of them have placed a firm hold on a first team place so far this season. if any of them have any pretentions to having a truly successful football career then they need to have a good look at themselves - Scottish football is not an easy ride

FilipinoHibs
15-09-2019, 02:49 AM

Think will include their wages for the length of their deals.

DetroitHibs
15-09-2019, 05:20 AM
Our top 3 targerts were McNulty, Omeonga and Ojo. We ended up with Newell, Vela and Doidge. Get what you pay for.

green day
15-09-2019, 06:00 AM
Its been mentioned a few times, but we cant ignore that clubs like Motherwell and Killie manage to bring in fast skilful players on a fraction of our budget.

We also seem to have very few players (recently) coming through from development to first team - I know Porto is there, but its hardly a conveyor belt.

I assume we have a long term football strategy as well as short term tactical stuff - but whatever it is, its failing massively.

While we can get rid of managers, and shore it up for a bit, longer term I worry about whats going on at Hibs as we look utterly clueless behind the scenes.

Craig and Dempster are culpable for this shambles. I can see them being emptied as well and it might not be such a bad thing.

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Problem 1 is you don’t build teams by mass signings. We know that from the past. You need to have a core team and manage the contracts so the first team turnover is 2 or 3 players per season with a few backups. This is down to the recruitment team. They failed. You can’t ship out 11 players and try to replace them.

Problem 2 is that if you have a mass singing situation, you don’t buy from English League One and below. You certainly don’t piss away the budget with Forest bloody Green!

Problem 3 is that if you have pissed away the budget, maybe the answer is to look at the Development Team and see who are better than the dross you have signed. Fraser Murray is a prime example. Use players who want to play for the club. Journeymen will never give you that passion. I’d rather see us lose with fight than what we see now.

Problem 4 is to realise the manager has been backed but has not delivered on anything he has promised. He has not realised that the game here is not like England. The same happened with with a number of managers before.

These things were obvious early in Hecky’s tenure last season against bigger teams and we have gone backwards from then.

I got slated when I criticised his new signings and was accused of being a bed wetter but I take no pleasure in being vindicated now. He has to go!

Too sensible a post for this forum at the moment

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2019, 06:27 AM
The problem is he has seriously underestimated the strength of the Premiership up here in Scotland
His team versus
St Mirren 1-0
St Johnstone 2-2
The Rangers 1-6
Motherwell 0-3
Kilmarnock 0-2

Probably a fair barometer of the strengths of the individual teams he has played so far don’t forget he has still to play Hearts Celtic and Aberdeen

based on the above analysis we might scrape draws versus Ross County and Livvy but I am not holding my breath

MrRobot
15-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Good might be stretching it but a decent manager could get more out of this side than the current incumbent.

i believe so too. don’t think the players are all that a bad, Hecky just doesn’t have a clue it seems.

supersauzee
15-09-2019, 07:07 AM
"I’m concerned. I said I wasn’t convinced about signing duds from the lower leagues in England! It’s overrated push down there! These boys have a ****ing rude awakening coming up here - it’s 100mph and aggressive as **** our game, folk underrate the pace. Look at that **** Joey Barton - successful career in England, came here and couldn’t kick a ball. Scott Brown kicked him all over the ****in place!"

Above was my mates message to me back in July before the Arbroath game. He was so right!

Crab apple
15-09-2019, 08:09 AM
It does seem that anyone in her position can't win though.

Image if we DIDN'T sign them, as the manager wanted, and we were still crap.

Later on when sacked, the manager says 'I wanted to sign a few players but the CEO overruled me"

We'd all be taking the pitchfoks. to the CEO

Fitba, like choosing a manager it seems is not an exact science, and the 'known knowns' will only be known,after they have played.:wink:

Fwiw I think Heckingbottom will blame not getting Ojo, McNulty etc as the reason why things didn’t work out. From his interviews he doesn’t come across as someone willing to take responsibility for his actions.

MrRobot
15-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Why did we have to move Mackie (a development player) on to bring in a loanee and why is Hecky saying Efe wiould have to play for free if we brought him in. We have a smaller squad than some past years, have no debt, a decent investment from a new owner and we just must have some of the £2.7m (?) left from McGinn. Plus record modern day crowds and ST sales. Even if Hecky has blown the budget, why are we so skint. The McGinn money should be going towards replacing him. If we’re unwilling to give this manager any more to spend because he’s rotten, he seriously needs to be sacked NOW!

has he actually said that about Efe? for real?

Crab apple
15-09-2019, 08:11 AM

This is a very good post.

hibbie02
15-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Too sensible a post for this forum at the moment

Apparently I’m a bed wetter don’t you know?

Real Emerald
15-09-2019, 02:15 PM
has he actually said that about Efe? for real?

He was asked if he was interested in Efe and he said they had spoken about him but he would have to play for free if we signed him. It was in his interview on Thursday or Friday can’t remember but it was a video interview.

familyman
15-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Paul Heckingbottom seems to be saying it takes time to settle players.
Well as the players say themselves they are grown up men and can handle stuff...Any new job demands getting to grips asap and football is no different.
We heard under Neil Lennon that players were handpicked for their suitability for this club so how does that now stack up with current new signings ,many staying on the bench?
The signals are not good and exactly how much time do players need?
The proof of the pudding and all that!

logan.no1
15-09-2019, 04:16 PM
P W D L
Barnsley 83 23 23 37
leeds 16 4 4 8
wi that record who ever gave him the job at our beloved club should sacked aswell

15-09-2019, 05:27 PM
P W D L
Barnsley 83 23 23 37
leeds 16 4 4 8
wi that record who ever gave him the job at our beloved club should sacked aswell

His Barnsley record is P108 W39 D28 L41.

CockneyRebel
15-09-2019, 05:34 PM
I do not know if he blew it on dross as the players already at club are also having a nightmare therefore you need to look at the man in charge is this isn't acceptable.

Good point.

logan.no1
15-09-2019, 06:09 PM
His Barnsley record is P108 W39 D28 L41.

I didn't count the 2 times as caretaker only when he got the job fulltime
and put his own team together and hay presto

GGTTH

The_Horde
15-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Shambles

This. He's a Poundland Darren McGregor at best.

Paisley Hibby
15-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Do you have a source for that?

From what I gather the players he signed (apart from loans) weren't punted. Mixed views on Barnsley fans forum back earlier this year. Some clearly don't rate him but general gist seemed to be that it's his players that got them back up to the Championship and if he'd stayed they wouldn't have been relegated.

15-09-2019, 10:09 PM
I didn't count the 2 times as caretaker only when he got the job fulltime
and put his own team together and hay presto

GGTTH

Would you have included his stats as caretaker if they'd made his overall record there worse?

logan.no1
16-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Would you have included his stats as caretaker if they'd made his overall record there worse?

no because he didn't put that team together
first time 3 games you cant judge on that
second time won 14 drew 5 lost 3 with lee Johnston's team
he did the same wi lennon's team but when he puts his team together disaster

MrRobot
16-09-2019, 10:21 AM
He was asked if he was interested in Efe and he said they had spoken about him but he would have to play for free if we signed him. It was in his interview on Thursday or Friday can’t remember but it was a video interview.

what an absolute **** show.

efe is heads and shoulders above ANY of our current players, we should be should be offering him a deal. we’re in a healthy financial position, it’s an absolute joke if we can’t offer him a contract.

thegaffer12
16-09-2019, 10:31 AM
I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I believe Doidge and Vela can be good players for us. Formation change and a confidence boost could transform them.

Speedway
16-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Why? Because of the wages now committed to Vela, Jackson, Newell, James and Doidge on multi-year contracts.

Can't rely on next year's income that might or might not happen to pay these in the future. We've budgeted the money on the basis of them staying the full term of their contract.

That's why there isn't money left, there is money at the bank, but it's ringpieced for paying people's multi-year deals and building a barn.

Hibernia&Alba
16-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Why? Because of the wages now committed to Vela, Jackson, Newell, James and Doidge on multi-year contracts.

Can't rely on next year's income that might or might not happen to pay these in the future. We've budgeted the money on the basis of them staying the full term of their contract.

That's why there isn't money left, there is money at the bank, but it's ringpieced for paying people's multi-year deals and building a barn.

:hilarious

Aye, we've made an erse of it. :greengrin

Unseen work
16-09-2019, 11:34 AM
I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I believe Doidge and Vela can be good players for us. Formation change and a confidence boost could transform them.

I agree, iv seen enough of Doidge, Vela and Jackson to think they’re good players and have good attributes, Vela in particular although a lot of fans seem to not like him. James also looks very good technically, yet to be tested defensively.

Will they get the time to show what they can do? Debatable

superfurryhibby
16-09-2019, 11:39 AM
My feeling is that the football budget was set by the old board and has been considerably less than many on here have speculated. Stories about the size of transfer fees are way off the mark, granted if you added on every conceivable permutation they might appear substantial. The old board clearly weren't going to pump large amounts of money in, knowing sale was imminent, were they?

I feel we have been operating in a bargain basement manner, losing the quality we had over the past couple of seasons and replacing it with considerably inferior players. It gives me no pleasure at all, but what's happening was now entirely predictable. It smacks of the old Jim Duffy approach, signing players you know from lower leagues or discarded talents who played at a better level but did nothing in recent times.

Nothing adds up to me. Healthy financial position my erse, surely wee Ron can see that fans will desert the team in droves if the current downward trend persists. Heckingbottom is done, he needs to go and the new man given some money to sign a few decent out of contract players. Salvage the season now, there's a lot to play for.

Northernhibee
16-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Doidge, Vela, Hallberg, James and Jackson I rate. I've not written off the others yet.

Speedway
16-09-2019, 11:47 AM
My feeling is that the football budget was set by the old board and has been considerably less than many on here have speculated. Stories about the size of transfer fees are way off the mark, granted if you added on every conceivable permutation they might appear substantial. The old board clearly weren't going to pump large amounts of money in, knowing sale was imminent, were they?

I feel we have been operating in a bargain basement manner, losing the quality we had over the past couple of seasons and replacing it with considerably inferior players. It gives me no pleasure at all, but what's happening was now entirely predictable. It smacks of the old Jim Duffy approach, signing players you know from lower leagues or discarded talents who played at a better level but did nothing in recent times.

Nothing adds up to me. Healthy financial position my erse, surely wee Ron can see that fans will desert the team in droves if the current downward trend persists. Heckingbottom is done, he needs to go and the new man given some money to sign a few decent out of contract players. Salvage the season now, there's a lot to play for.

When RP resigned he said it was the funds of Mr. Gordon that had allowed Hibs to sign 7 players so early in the window.

Hiber-nation
16-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Doidge, Vela, Hallberg, James and Jackson I rate. I've not written off the others yet.

Well the manager doesn't seem to rate most of them.

I've completely written off Doidge and Newell. Doidge is an average 4th division striker and Newell's attitude is dreadful, hiding and jumping out of tackles. Vela doesn't really do anything of note, James is now back up to Naismith and Jackson is too slow for this level.

We needed to improve on certain positions in the team and he's signed far poorer players on decent contracts. It's a complete and utter mess.

Beefster
16-09-2019, 11:52 AM

For what it’s worth, Newell aside, I wouldn’t write any of the signings off. The rest might improve under a decent coach. Newell just seems like a complete waste of a wage tbh - up there with some of the huddies of the Calderwood/Fenlon era.

3pm
16-09-2019, 11:56 AM

I agree.

Diclonius
16-09-2019, 11:57 AM
The biggest disappointment has been Vela.

A dynamic, box-to-box tough tackling midfielder who can't pass and can't tackle.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Doidge might be the current James Collins? Why not stick him in for next 20 games to see if he can score some goals.

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2019, 12:13 PM
What summed up Newall on Saturday OK only on the park for five minutes ball drops to him on his right foot 18 yards out loads of space to get a shot away insists on putting it back onto his left foot walks right into two Killie defenders easily dispossessed move breaks down HIBS caught on the counter

First thing we taught ourselves as laddies was how to kick a ball with both feet used to spend hours booting a tennis ball off a wall with both feet so should be second nature to a professional football player. :confused:

bigwheel
16-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Doidge might be the current James Collins? Why not stick him in for next 20 games to see if he can score some goals.

It’s an interesting point that - PH is doing some of the new signings no favours by putting them on the bench - think there were 5 or 6 of his signings not playing on Saturday ...and in previous weeks too. Doesn’t give them a chance to get going ....

J-C
16-09-2019, 12:25 PM

A dynamic, box-to-box tough tackling midfielder who can't pass and can't tackle.

He looked like he was running through treacle chasing the winger covering for Lewis who was upfield attacking, he's been a major disappointment.

superfurryhibby
16-09-2019, 01:13 PM
When RP resigned he said it was the funds of Mr. Gordon that had allowed Hibs to sign 7 players so early in the window.

What happened to the existing transfer budget? Prior to incoming wee Ron? We had parted company with Milligan, Efe, Gash, McGinn, McNulty, Omeonga, Nelom, Bartley and others from the previous seasons wage bill. They must have commanded decent wages between them.

Torto7
16-09-2019, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;5929181]What happened to the existing transfer budget? Prior to incoming wee Ron? We had parted company with Milligan, Efe, Gash, McGinn, McNulty, Omeonga, Nelom, Bartley and others from the previous seasons wage bill. They must have commanded decent wages between them.[/QUOT

Usual PR spin from the departed one, LD claimed the total cost for Omeonga and McNulty would be 5.5 million:faf:.

We'll have news coming about infrastructure projects and a brilliant set of accounts to drool over soon. Whilst the team sucks. I feel like we've been here before.:dizzy:

superfurryhibby
16-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Usual PR spin from the departed one, LD claimed the total cost for Omeonga and McNulty would be 5.5 million:faf:.

We'll have news coming about infrastructure projects and a brilliant set of accounts to drool over soon. Whilst the team sucks. I feel like we've been here before.:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Yep, it feels like the club is being run on a shoestring. Goodwill will melt like snow off a dyke if this continues. No more infrastructure for me. Wee Ron isn't making much of an impression on me so far

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2019, 01:37 PM

He offers nothing. Like nothing at all.

A total waste.

Diclonius
16-09-2019, 01:47 PM
He offers nothing. Like nothing at all.

A total waste.

He seems to have had a geat pedigree down south though which makes it all the more baffling. Maybe he thought he'd stroll it like Barton and still hasn't adjusted yet. For that reason I'd still give him time. Way I see it is the following:

Allan: Success
Jackson: Mixed
Newell: Poor so far
Doidge: Not been given enough of a chance
Maxwell: Solid backup
Vela: Massive disappointment
Middleton: Mixed
Hallberg: Too early to say
Naismith: Too early to say

Given the players we've lost, that isn't good enough.

bigwheel
16-09-2019, 01:47 PM
I think there is a player in Vela - he is not in the destructive DM beast mode that people probably wish for - he is more of a footballer than that ...didn’t think he was that bad on Saturday he...not that he was amazing either ...

Since452
16-09-2019, 02:24 PM
He seems to have had a geat pedigree down south though which makes it all the more baffling. Maybe he thought he'd stroll it like Barton and still hasn't adjusted yet. For that reason I'd still give him time. Way I see it is the following:

Allan: Success
Jackson: Mixed
Newell: Poor so far
Doidge: Not been given enough of a chance
Maxwell: Solid backup
Vela: Massive disappointment
Middleton: Mixed
Hallberg: Too early to say
Naismith: Too early to say

Given the players we've lost, that isn't good enough.

Based on the last 3 games Allan falls in to the dissapointment category

loanheadhibby
16-09-2019, 02:50 PM
It’s an interesting point that - PH is doing some of the new signings no favours by putting them on the bench - think there were 5 or 6 of his signings not playing on Saturday ...and in previous weeks too. Doesn’t give them a chance to get going ....

He'll not score many sitting on the bench that's for sure. Hecky must know he is under pressure so why not just go for it. Doidge/Flo up front, Scott Allan in behind with 3 strong centre mids?

Global Hibby
16-09-2019, 02:52 PM
He'll not score many sitting on the bench that's for sure. Hecky must know he is under pressure so why not just go for it. Doidge/Flo up front, Scott Allan in behind with 3 strong centre mids?

if only we had three strong midfielders

J-C
16-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Can we not do what we do on Football Manager and use our editor by getting rid of crap and bringing in better. 😁

CapitalGreen
16-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Do you have a source for that?

From what I gather the players he signed (apart from loans) weren't punted. Mixed views on Barnsley fans forum back earlier this year. Some clearly don't rate him but general gist seemed to be that it's his players that got them back up to the Championship and if he'd stayed they wouldn't have been relegated.

Their transfers in and out are in the public domain.

As for the last part of your post he left them sitting 21st in the league with 1 win in previous 16 games (8 in previous 48 games) - they were very much heading for relegation under PH.

Also, another common misconception is that Barnsley were punching above their weight being in the Championship, this is also nonsense, they have only been relegated to league 1 level
3 times since 1980 and spent 31 of the last 38 seasons in either the Premiership or the Championship.