PDA

View Full Version : Boot the guests

J-C
14-09-2019, 03:21 PM
As it says 10 mins to get on the site

hibee_girl
14-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Guests have been locked out for now.

As I’m sure you’ll appreciate even us admins have trouble getting things done when the server is so busy.

J-C
14-09-2019, 03:31 PM

As I’m sure you’ll appreciate even us admins have trouble getting things done when the server is so busy.

:aok:

wpj
14-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Appreciate you do your best, thanks

J-C
14-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Still really slow

hibee_girl
14-09-2019, 03:52 PM
We’ve made it just pm’s for now

J-C
14-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Ta, that's made a real difference.

Maybe need more than our usual £10 to get a better server. :aok:

Diclonius
14-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Thanks. Apologies if my earlier thread post was un-needed.

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Ta, that's made a real difference.

Maybe need more than our usual £10 to get a better server. :aok:

agree with this, but members shouldn't pay more to benefit guests as well

J-C
14-09-2019, 04:22 PM
agree with this, but members shouldn't pay more to benefit guests as well

Maybe a £1 joining fee when you register.

calumhibee1
14-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Are we still on just PMs? The forum seems strangely quiet given what’s happened.

hibee_girl
14-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Are we still on just PMs? The forum seems strangely quiet given what’s happened.

No, registered users should be able to get back on now.

ancient hibee
14-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Thank you.

calumhibee1
14-09-2019, 05:54 PM
No, registered users should be able to get back on now.

heretoday
14-09-2019, 05:58 PM
So that's why I haven't been able to sign in.
And I thought I was being ostracised after all these years.

Hibs4185
14-09-2019, 05:58 PM
So I couldn’t get in, which is a bit annoying but I appreciate the demands on the severs and admins.

Why not charge everyone £5-10 a year/£2 a month or something, so that it weeds less serious posters and undercover yams out?

Then on match days etc just make it registered members?

More money for .net and donations to hibs and happier supporters!

HibbySpurs
14-09-2019, 06:01 PM
So that's why I haven't been able to sign in.
And I thought I was being ostracised after all these years.

🤣🤣 Me as well

hibee_girl
14-09-2019, 06:03 PM
So I couldn’t get in, which is a bit annoying but I appreciate the demands on the severs and admins.

Why not charge everyone £5-10 a year/£2 a month or something, so that it weeds less serious posters and undercover yams out?

Posters can become pm’s for £10 a year. That guarantees never being locked out when servers get busy etc

judas
14-09-2019, 06:13 PM
I’m a member, though not a PM. I was not happy about being excluded after being a Hibs netter for about 20 years.

Why could Hibs net not accommodate all members?

Why was I able to view The Terrace over on Knuckle scrapers site but not my teams?

Admins?

Badge
14-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks. Apologies if my earlier thread post was un-needed.
Dic

matty_f
14-09-2019, 06:31 PM
I’m a member, though not a PM. I was not happy about being excluded after being a Hibs netter for about 20 years.

Why was I able to view The Terrace over on Knuckle scrapers site but not my teams?

Admins?
Our servers were very busy, you’ve had 20 years of free access to the site, I think you’ve done ok out of it, really.

ajf
14-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Admins?
Me too

matty_f
14-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Me too

See above.

Ultimately, people pay to use the site - they keep the lights on in the place so when the volume of the traffic hitting the site (which is very high) slows it down, we owe it to them to keep their access as smooth as we can.

I’m sorry you couldn’t access the site for an hour or so.

For under a pound a month you can support the site and have the best access to it during busy times.

theonlywayisup
14-09-2019, 06:40 PM
See above.

Ultimately, people pay to use the site - they keep the lights on in the place so when the volume of the traffic hitting the site (which is very high) slows it down, we owe it to them to keep their access as smooth as we can.

I’m sorry you couldn’t access the site for an hour or so.

For under a pound a month you can support the site and have the best access to it during busy times.

As a non-PM, that seems fare to me.

SChibs
14-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Admins?

Calm down. There was a valid reason for it and you have the option to pay £10 a year to avoid being locked out. Pay your £10 or suck it up??

Lago
14-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Not just the guests!!

stoneyburn hibs
14-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Admins?

Why would you even have a thought in your head to go there ?

Hibs4185
14-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Posters can become pm’s for £10 a year. That guarantees never being locked out when servers get busy etc

Happily pay £10 a year but never been invited or done my initiation ceremony

e2los
14-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Hi hibee_girl,
I asked a couple of years ago for someone to take my £10, from whatever admin who was at the time asking for a private message to get pm signing up details. I pm'd him/her, but didn't get a reply.
:dunno:

I don't post very often, but just wanted to help out with a token £10 to go towards running costs etc.
My £10 is still available if the forum wants it.

Regards.

Lago
14-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Don't think that would work more & more of the old timers leaving. net & migrating to twitter. Find myself on there more often than not.

Vault Boy
14-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Admins?

See Matty's post.

FWIW £10 a year as a donation to the site is more than reasonable if you want to be guaranteed access at all times. This site is free to use, free to join, but it certainly isn't free to maintain.

To be candid, it doesn't matter how long you've been a dot netter when it's the PM subs that pay for the servers and hosting the site. I don't really see how you can reasonably complain about a service you've used free of charge for two decades.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2019, 06:52 PM
To flesh out what Matty said.

PM membership has cost the same for the best part of a decade now and comes with a few perks. The payments we receive for private membership covers our server costs. We have a very good product that is fit for purpose 95%+ of the time. Unfortunately when we are playing away from home with limited coverage then there is an inevitable slowdown. At that point we restrict access to registered users only, that sorts the issue in the short term. Today saw an almost unprecedented surge of activity and we had to restrict access to PMs only. It's only the 2nd or 3rd time I can ever remember us having to do that and the 1st time in a long while. I'm sure it's annoying but we try to keep the interruption as short as possible, the restriction was in place for just under 85 minutes today. Ultimately for a short while we had the choice of everyone struggling for access or giving PMs a free run for an hour or so before readmititng other registered users. It seems the fairest way to do it to me.

We have discussed upgrading the server but the next package is a considerably bigger outlay for something that will only be required a very small percent of the time. It's a tough call as raising the cost of membership would be asking people to pray for a product that wouldn't directly benefit them.

Hibs4185
14-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Sooo...how do you pay the £10 and help support the site?

judas
14-09-2019, 07:27 PM
OK.

I asked for a response.

I got one and understand.

Many thanks admins and fellow netters.

e2los
14-09-2019, 08:00 PM
To flesh out what Matty said.

It's a tough call as raising the cost of membership would be asking people to pray for a product that wouldn't directly benefit them.

Kinda lately we have been praying for something on the pitch, never mind the forum.
Perhaps we are not praying hard enough or our praying might be ineffectual?

Stupid joke aside, I also received a reply from an admin I pm'd about the £10 donation from this thread.

I understand, but somewhat think that there should be an option to donate to the site regardless of the "private member status".

Servers aren't free and neither is bandwidth, domain renewals etc, don't get me started on the time spent on server updates, themes, forum software updates etc.

Regardless, thanks for doing what you are doing as it's not always easy/fun and is very time consuming.

MSK
14-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Kinda lately we have been praying for something on the pitch, never mind the forum.

Stupid joke aside, I also received a reply from an admin I pm'd about the £10 donation from this thread.

I understand, but somewhat think that there should be an option to donate to the site regardless of the "private member status".

Servers aren't free and neither is bandwidth, domain renewals etc, don't get me started on the time spent on server updates, themes, forum software updates etc.

Regardless, thanks for doing what you are doing as it's not always easy/fun and is very time consuming.There was once a donate feature that was an option for those that did not want to be private members, if I recall correctly it worked well. A former Admin didn't agree with it so it was withdrawn.

Perhaps could be looked at again ?

e2los
14-09-2019, 08:50 PM
It doesn't make sense not to look at it again, unless there is an individual who is mainly footing the bill and feels strongly that accepting donations cedes some control/direction to the donators or that whey would feel some kind of expectation.

Most likely a mixture of that and a big hike in fees for little reward in stepping up the current service which is generally fine.

Personally I'm happy with the answer, and understand.

Hibs4185
14-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Earlier on a financial justification was used to explain the closure of the site to non PM’s. I totally understand the financial implications of running such a site and admire the job the admins. As a free user I am extremely grateful for the service that I receive.

But surely increasing the server size and therefore the user base is surely a good thing?

Why is paying £10 a year for a private membership so hard? I’m sure the Mason’s have a less torturous process

Beefster
14-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Earlier on a financial justification was used to explain the closure of the site to non PM’s. I totally understand the financial implications of running such a site and admire the job the admins. As a free user I am extremely grateful for the service that I receive.

But surely increasing the server size and therefore the user base is surely a good thing?

Why is paying £10 a year for a private membership so hard? I’m sure the Mason’s have a less torturous process

What’s hard about paying £10 by PayPal? Or am I forgetting about some secret challenge that prospective PMs need to navigate?

BTW the easiest way to force the Admins to get a new, bigger, shiny server is for everyone who uses the site to become PMs. If everyone is a PM, they can’t close the site to anyone. Until they introduce super-private membership.

MSK
14-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Why is paying £10 a year for a private membership so hard? I’m sure the Mason’s have a less torturous processIncreasing the server for what purpose ? Its more cost, no-one is complaining about the server other than folk who are booted out, those of whom do not contribute to its running.

The Admins are on the ball with this, as they have been from day dot, they also have tech savvy folk working 24/7 to make sure this site ticks away day and night.

Lastly, there is a certain criteria to becoming a Private member, its not open to everyone for obvious reasons, Im sure though if you were keen enough to sign up you would have pm’d an Admin 👍

Leithwalk
14-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Regardless, thanks for doing what you are doing as it's not always easy/fun and is very time consuming.

Donation option would be useful for occasional posters. Current position seems to be that only PMs can donate, and PM qualification involves a high enough post count.

MSK
14-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Donation option would be useful for occasional posters. Current position seems to be that only PMs can donate, and PM qualification involves a high enough post count.Not always, if you can get someone to vouch for you ?

Hibs4185
14-09-2019, 09:57 PM
What’s hard about paying £10 by PayPal? Or am I forgetting about some secret challenge that prospective PMs need to navigate?

BTW the easiest way to force the Admins to get a new, bigger, shiny server is for everyone who uses the site to become PMs. If everyone is a PM, they can’t close the site to anyone. Until they introduce super-private membership.

How do you pay £10 by Paypal? Is there a link?

Montford
14-09-2019, 10:06 PM
If there’s so much traffic why not source a few headline adverts. Wouldn’t bother most users I don’t think

Hermit Crab
14-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Time to let the guests back in. :greengrin

It will be fun on here in an hour or so when some posters return from boozer.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 10:12 PM

What’s happened?

MSK
14-09-2019, 10:14 PM
What’s happened?Have you not heard ?

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Have you not heard ?

Is Hecky gone?

MSK
14-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Is Hecky gone?Naw, we got beat again , big news 😆

Sorry Billy, he is still here mate 😔

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 10:27 PM
Naw, we got beat again , big news 😆

Sorry Billy, he is still here mate 😔

Awwww

Phil MaGlass
15-09-2019, 07:36 AM
As a non-PM, that seems fare to me.

Some people may be on a very low budget and maybe cant afford to pay a subscription?

calumhibee1
15-09-2019, 08:06 AM
What’s happened?

Nothing exciting, I was just meaning after we’d been beat :greengrin

Greenbeard
15-09-2019, 08:27 AM
In retrospect my mental health benefited from being locked out of here y'day evening. Got the dishes done too.

The Modfather
15-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Some people may be on a very low budget and maybe cant afford to pay a subscription?

If someone can’t afford £10 a year I wouldn’t have thought being unable to log in to Hibs.net for a couple of hours once in a blue moon would be high on their list of things to worry about.

Forza Fred
15-09-2019, 08:47 AM
I’m an Auld Phart who was a member of the old Hibs List and graduated to Hibsnet after its demise.

I WAS a private member for a year as I arranged the 10pound donation to be passed on through a friend when back on holiday.

I’d gladly join up again but not through PayPal, as Ihave a morbid fear of it.

Is there another way I can make a donation from Oz?

Jay
15-09-2019, 09:22 AM
I’m an Auld Phart who was a member of the old Hibs List and graduated to Hibsnet after its demise.

I WAS a private member for a year as I arranged the 10pound donation to be passed on through a friend when back on holiday.

Is there another way I can make a donation from Oz?

Bank transfer? If you want the details send one of us a pm.

MSK
15-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Is there another way I can make a donation from Oz?Yes, you can do a bank transfer, I dont have the details to hand though so an Admin may help 👍