PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

Anthony Soprano
11-09-2019, 09:54 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49554945

James Collins playing and scoring for Ireland in his international debut last night, couldny hack it up here though the big huddy

Sammy7nil
11-09-2019, 09:58 AM

James Collins playing and scoring for Ireland in his international debut last night, couldny hack it up here though the big huddy

Hibs legend :wink:

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 09:59 AM

He isnt a bad player. Has had a decent career since leaving us. Was just part of a very poor Hibs team.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 10:16 AM
He isnt a bad player. Has had a decent career since leaving us. Was just part of a very poor Hibs team.

He was **** for us.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 10:21 AM
He was **** for us.

Yup, he was poor. Doesn't change that he has developed into a decent player.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Yeah him and Donaldson have done a lot better than I thought would. Add Dobbie and Morais to the list too.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Yeah him and Donaldson have done a lot better than I thought would. Add Dobbie and Morais to the list too.

Vaz Te from around the same time as well. Hey it may be us thats the issue!! :dunno:

eastterrace
11-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Still can’t forget the fresh air swipe against hearts.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Still can’t forget the fresh air swipe against hearts.

Agathe did the same on his debut at Tynecastle.

FilipinoHibs
11-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Vaz Te from around the same time as well. Hey it may be us thats the issue!! :dunno:

Maybe it is the fans to blame : heaping too much pressure and super critical of mistakes. Players can feel that and freeze.

easty
11-09-2019, 10:48 AM

I don’t think any of those players have gone on to do much that suggests we should’ve kept them.

Donaldson scored a lot of goals in League 2 down south, then less goals in League 1, then even less in the Championship.

Morais...jumped around a few **** teams and had one season in the championship with a piss poor Bolton side.

Dobbie has scored a load of goals, but at his level only

Anthony Soprano
11-09-2019, 11:09 AM

He had a decent record before he came to Hibs as well though, granted it was an awful Hibs team but 6 league goals from an entire season is an atrocious return for a centre forward, sure Liam Craig managed more from centre mid that season.
Funny we seem to be the only club he's not scored goals at.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 11:27 AM
I don’t think any of those players have gone on to do much that suggests we should’ve kept them.

Donaldson scored a lot of goals in League 2 down south, then less goals in League 1, then even less in the Championship.

Morais...jumped around a few **** teams and had one season in the championship with a piss poor Bolton side.

I wouldn’t have kept any of them either at the time mate they’ve went to a better level than I thought was possible for them is all 👍

Smartie
11-09-2019, 11:46 AM
He had a decent record before he came to Hibs as well though, granted it was an awful Hibs team but 6 league goals from an entire season is an atrocious return for a centre forward, sure Liam Craig managed more from centre mid that season.
Funny we seem to be the only club he's not scored goals at.

The team he played in had zero creativity.

As for the standard of his strike partners.......

I didn't care for him much as a player and he had a pretty miserable time with us but the goals he's scored since then suggest that we were the problem and not him.

KeithTheHibby
11-09-2019, 12:01 PM

I didn't care for him much as a player and he had a pretty miserable time with us but the goals he's scored since then suggest that we were the problem and not him.

This. We were utter ***** the season he was with us.

danhibees1875
11-09-2019, 12:16 PM

I'd agree with this.

I also think he suffered by playing at a time that tensions were high and there was little sympathy coming from the fans to the players. We were playing poorly all over and us such individual mistakes mattered a lot more compared to a few years later where a striker could miss a chance and you'd be confident they'd get another soon.

I reckon if we'd picked him up while in the championship with McGinn, Allan, Boyle, etc feeding him chances and partnering with Cummings he'd have made a much better impact. From memory he had a good work rate and got into good positions anyway, which are good qualities to build on.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
I'd agree with this.

I also think he suffered by playing at a time that tensions were high and there was little sympathy coming from the fans to the players. We were playing poorly all over and us such individual mistakes mattered a lot more compared to a few years later where a striker could miss a chance and you'd be confident they'd get another soon.

I reckon if we'd picked him up while in the championship with McGinn, Allan, Boyle, etc feeding him chances and partnering with Cummings he'd have made a much better impact. From memory he had a good work rate and got into good positions anyway, which are good qualities to build on.

What you have described in your first paragraph could easily be about here and now.

CloudSquall
11-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Maybe he would have been different in a team with Scott Allan etc..

Jones28
11-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Eoin Doyle too I would argue.

Anthony Soprano
11-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Pretty fair assessment.
Think the step up at that time in his career was a bit much for him as well, even when he had chances he missed most of them, still think about that one against hearts from time to time - harder to miss than score.

Anthony Soprano
11-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Eoin Doyle too I would argue.

I actually rated Doyle at Hibs and would of kept him, it was only because he had Griffiths alongside him that nobody really appreciated him.

11-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Looks like a Jambo at the EEN saw this thread and turned it into a news story.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/former-hibs-flop-james-collins-scores-on-international-debut-1-5002050

Since452
11-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Maybe it is the fans to blame : heaping too much pressure and super critical of mistakes. Players can feel that and freeze.

Not believing that. Our fans are very supportive and always get behind the team no matter what...

CRAZYHIBBY
11-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Imagine the mouthwatering partnership of collins and doidge

Anthony Soprano
11-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Imagine the mouthwatering partnership of collins and doidge

I'd estimate about 7 goals from 64 appearances

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Credit where credit due he sat in the Stand at 0-7 Malmo the night before he signed but still signed
I am sure he always tried his best for HIBS just at that stage in his career his best was sometimes not good enough
I personally thought he was decent but frustrating at times
Played 40 scored 6 for a centre forward sums him up
Was not overly fussed when he left

Up The Bracket
11-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Looks like a Jambo at the EEN saw this thread and turned it into a news story.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/former-hibs-flop-james-collins-scores-on-international-debut-1-5002050

Imagine he probably saw it when checking football results last night rather than checking Hibs.net it I’m honest.

PISTOL1875
11-09-2019, 05:13 PM
i would struggle to find any forward who would shine when the instructions were '' tae pit the baw in the corner and get him tae run efter it '

Collins was one of many players who were ruined by those ****ing idiiots Butcher and malpass when they were at Hibs

bigwheel
11-09-2019, 05:38 PM
i would struggle to find any forward who would shine when the instructions were '' tae pit the baw in the corner and get him to run efter it '

Collins was one of many players who were ruined by those ****ing idiiots Butcher and malpass when they were at Hibs

I’m agreeing with this

Spike Mandela
12-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Hibs.net in yet another ‘young player gets better as he gets older’ shocker.

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 11:25 AM

People read too much into stats these days imo. The amount of games Donaldson played for Birmingham in the Championship would suggest there was a lot more to his game than goals. No one would deny Keith Wright was a top player for Hibs, yet he only scored 59 goals in 197 League games.

easty
12-09-2019, 11:48 AM
People read too much into stats these days imo. The amount of games Donaldson played for Birmingham in the Championship would suggest there was a lot more to his game than goals. No one would deny Keith Wright was a top player for Hibs, yet he only scored 59 goals in 197 League games.

Does it? Cos Newell has played a load of games for Rotherham in the Championship, but he's apparently useless (not saying you think that...but it seems to be the consensus on .net)

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Does it? Cos Newell has played a load of games for Rotherham in the Championship, but he's apparently useless (not saying you think that...but it seems to be the consensus on .net)

I have seen Donaldson play quite a bit when down South and he always looked decent. And yeah, being first choice striker for a big team like Birmingham in the championship for a few years, to me suggests he developed well.

re Newell, I'm still reserving judgement on that one.

Hermit Crab
12-09-2019, 12:33 PM
He was murder for us in a terrible team.

Winston Ingram
12-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Collins started well but was another one who all his confidence knocked out of him completely by Butcher & Malpas.