PDA

View Full Version : Stokes being a gimp again

AgentDaleCooper
10-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Pled guilty to stalking his ex. Those 2 goals aside, he is clearly an absolute welt.

HibeeHibernian4
11-09-2019, 12:48 AM
Those 2 goals included, who gives a toss? He was always a prize bellend and continues to be one.

DetroitHibs
11-09-2019, 01:46 AM
Yep ****bag

California-Hibs
11-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Won us the Scottish Cup and is a Hibernian legend, literally, a legend. Regardless of his off field antics.

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 03:50 AM
The man is an arse

We all know that

But he is our arse and we love him for his performance on that great day on 21/5/2016 and we will be eternally grateful

Does not excuse his behaviour though

The man is an arse!

:scarf:

:cup:

lyonhibs
11-09-2019, 05:39 AM
It's the on-field antics I'll remember him for. It's not exactly a state secret that he's a right knob off the pitch.

Since452
11-09-2019, 05:44 AM
I'll be telling my grandkids about his performance that day at Hampden but sadly he seems like not a very nice character

Carheenlea
11-09-2019, 06:09 AM
The best individual performance of a Hibs player I’ve seen in my lifetime. He will be forever ingrained in the history of Hibs with his contribution on 21.5.16.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Legend

Jones28
11-09-2019, 06:26 AM
The biggest legend, but possibly one of the biggest roasters to ever play for us.

JimBHibees
11-09-2019, 06:29 AM
He brought it when it mattered most. Legend.

500miles
11-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Is this the same girl who he had scuddy photos leaked with?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2019, 06:47 AM
The goals are what links him to us, not his off the field antics.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Will always be a Hibs legend. Not really interested in what he gets upto off the field now.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Hero.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Pretty poor comments. So what, if he kills someone it doesn't matter because he won us the cup?

He's an absolute tit. Great player, no doubt, but really is a tosser.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Pretty poor comments. So what, if he kills someone it doesn't matter because he won us the cup?

He hasn’t killed anyone as far as I know of though.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2019, 07:30 AM

So anything short of that doesn't matter because he played well for Hibs?

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Didnt just play well though did he? The guy won us the cup. No Stokes no cup. More baffling you seem to have an issue that he is a legend to many.

WeeRussell
11-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Which ones are the poor ones? The ones that pretty much say the same thing you did...

Hibeesmad
11-09-2019, 07:44 AM
Stubbsy and Stokesy are no saints but they will always remain club icons.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Stubbsy and Stokesy are no saints but they will always remain club icons.

Whats Stubbs done?

Hibeesmad
11-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Whats Stubbs done?

Been spoken of on this forum previously

3pm
11-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Whats Stubbs done?

Played for Celtic. 👀

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Been spoken of on this forum previously

If we are talking about him possibly preferring the 'away games' then I'm not sure it deserves to be mentioned in the same chat as Stokes being arrested.

we are hibs
11-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Anthony Stokes is a scottish cup winning Hibernian legend. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won that cup. Thats all most hibs fans will remember him for in 20/30 years. Others will always look to point out his flaws because they have no life and never put a foot wrong themselves. Some of the best players ever are extremely flawed. But most normal people dont remember their flaws but remember their contribution to football. Because thats literarly the whole reason we know of them. We are football fans, not judge and jury.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 08:03 AM

I’m not really interested unless he’s a peado or a murderer what he gets up to in his private life and I’m certainly not going to pass judgement on an actual hero when the girl in question already forgave him and got back together with him before sentencing.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Didnt just play well though did he? The guy won us the cup. No Stokes no cup. More baffling you seem to have an issue that he is a legend to many.

Maybe I just hold professional athletes to higher standards. I think assault and harrassment do tarnish his repuatation on the pitch. The squad and coaching staff won us the cup, not one person.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Maybe I just hold professional athletes to higher standards. I think assault and harrassment do tarnish his repuatation on the pitch. The squad and coaching staff won us the cup, not one person.

Are you saying we would have still won the Cup without Stokes in the team?? Cmon, he completely ran the show.

Anyway thankfully your the minority and most are not interested in what he gets upto in his private life. Like most people in the world he has his flaws.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Anthony Stokes is a scottish cup winning Hibernian legend. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won that cup. Thats all most hibs fans will remember him for in 20/30 years. Others will always look to point out his flaws because they have no life and never put a foot wrong themselves. Some of the best players ever are extremely flawed. But most normal people dont remember their flaws but remember their contribution to football. Because thats literarly the whole reason we know of them. We are football fans, not judge and jury.

Couldn’t agree more.

superfurryhibby
11-09-2019, 08:16 AM
I’m not really interested unless he’s a peado or a murderer what he gets up to in his private life and I’m certainly not going to pass judgement on an actual hero when the girl in question already forgave him and got back together with him before sentencing.

I think Stokes lawyer forgot to mention this to the sheriff when he passed judgement on him.

Man’s a fud, no doubt about it. He’s also a Hibs legend for what he did on that day.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Are you saying we would have still won the Cup without Stokes in the team?? Cmon, he completely ran the show.

Anyway thankfully your the minority and most are not interested in what he gets upto in his private life. Like most people in the world he has his flaws.

We have no idea if we would or not. I clearly didn't say that, though.

Yeah, thankfully I'm in the minority because I care about footballers beating the **** out of elvis impersonators and harrassing girls. Maybe you'd care if it was negatively effecting the team, like his actions did in 2010 and 2018?

Guy has always been an utter twat.

Since452
11-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Is he a Hibs legend? - Absolutely

Would he be a mate? - Nah

Do i care what he does in his life? - Not really

Will i give him a standing ovation at anniversary events 20 years from now? - Bloody right i will

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Yeah, thankfully I'm in the minority because I care about footballers beating the **** out of elvis impersonators and harrassing girls. Maybe you'd care if it was negatively effecting the team, like his actions did in 2010 and 2018?

I just dont care at all what he gets upto in his private time. None of my business. I have some flawed mates who have probably done worse. What I do know is that he played the game of his life at Hampden and won us the cup. Whether he is a twat or not makes no difference to me.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 08:34 AM
https://youtu.be/p2d7SMjgoC8

neil7908
11-09-2019, 09:45 AM
As much as I will never forgot the final I can't call this guy a Hibs legend. SDG won us the cup (quite literally given he scored the winning goal).

Stokes was instrumental but in all honesty I just can't warm to the guy given some of the pretty terrible things he's got up to. He also has no interest in our club, proven by his subsequent spell in charge.

Players like McGinn, SDG and even Logan are the ones I'll focus on.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 09:54 AM
As much as I will never forgot the final I can't call this guy a Hibs legend. SDG won us the cup (quite literally given he scored the winning goal).

Stokes was instrumental but in all honesty I just can't warm to the guy given some of the pretty terrible things he's got up to. He also has no interest in our club, proven by his subsequent spell in charge.

I just cant get my head around this. Scored 2. Man of the Match and even had the shot which won that corner! But not a legend to some. You can not like the guy but to deny him Hibs legend status is bonkers.

Jones28
11-09-2019, 09:57 AM
I just cant get my head around this. Scored 2. Man of the Match and even had the shot which won that corner! But not a legend to some. You can not like the guy but to deny him Hibs legend status is bonkers.

It will be the same with everyone who takes into account off the field antics. I think he’s a plumb off the pitch but can’t deny what he did on that day, the majority will be feel the same as me I imagine.

Sammy7nil
11-09-2019, 09:57 AM

SDG goal means nothing without the other two. Stokes Scottish cup legend and all round bellend. Imho of course.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 10:02 AM
It will be the same with everyone who takes into account off the field antics. I think he’s a plumb off the pitch but can’t deny what he did on that day, the majority will be feel the same as me I imagine.

Hey there is no denying the guy is a fanny. But if the MOTM when we eventually won that damn cup is not a legend then I really dont know who is!

Allant1981
11-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Sorry but stokes is and always will be a club legend now, he ran the show and scored 2. Yes he appears to be a twat as many have said but let's not play down his role that day

Last Minute
11-09-2019, 10:07 AM

:top marks

The_Horde
11-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Feel a bit bad for the guy, he's obviously got some mental issues and if there's bairns involved as well it's easy to see how he could go off the rails.

Not excusing stalking anyone, it's a terrible offence but I think people need to not jump to conclusions about the kind of person he is without considering or empathising with his mental state at the time.

11-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Dagnall could've got a hat-trick. :cb

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 10:15 AM
No a legend? hahahahahahaha

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Jesus Christ Almighty.

neil7908
11-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Jesus Christ Almighty.

Care to actually refute anything I've said?

I'm not rewriting history - he scored two goals and was absolutely viral for our win. But I personally don't want to talk about a guy like him being a legend of our club given what he's done and how many other hero's there are from that day.

He doesn't give two f***s about us. I'd prefer to bestow an honour like legend on players that give a toss about our club and aren't total bellends.

If you disagree fair enough but I'd imagine if it was your daughter he'd been harassing, or your son he'd battered in a nightclub you wouldn't be calling him a legend.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 10:39 AM

I'm not rewriting history - he scored two goals and was absolutely viral for our win. But I personally don't want to talk about a guy like him being a legend of our club given what he's done and how many other hero's there are from that day.

He doesn't give two f***s about us. I'd prefer to bestow an honour like legend on players that give a toss about our club and aren't total bellends.

If you disagree fair enough but I'd imagine if it was your daughter he'd been harassing, or your son he'd battered in a nightclub you wouldn't be calling him a legend.

But no one is saying he is a role model or a legend as a person. He is a Hibs legend for his key part in us winning the cup.

But hey, my favourite player of all time is Maradona. I guess I just don't really care what players get upto in their spare time. Many of life's genius's are extremely flawed.

My_Wife_Camille
11-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Come home

Sylar
11-09-2019, 10:48 AM
He's a footballer of questionable character in an era where social media, round the clock news coverage and over-inflated wages dominate.

We've probably had a lot of roasters play for us over the years who were blessed by behaving thusly in an era where they weren't in a constant spotlight.

Does it excuse Stokes' behaviour away from the park? No, it doesn't. But the magnifying glass his actions are observed under aren't consistent with many of the other "legends" that once graced the club - we don't know what half of them did away from the stadium in their down-time.

To claim he's "not a legend" of the club is to completely dismiss what he did on that day. He'll go down in history as the man who scored two and helped set up the third on a day where a hoodoo was broken against a properly horrible club. He can be judged for his character off the field by others, but let's not try and pretend he's anything other than one of the Hibernian greats this past decade.

FilipinoHibs
11-09-2019, 10:49 AM

I am with you. Harassing and threatening women is in the basket with racism and bigotry. As with Marvin we should not turn a blind eye.

WeeRussell
11-09-2019, 10:59 AM
I am with you. Harassing and threatening women is in the basket with racism and bigotry. As with Marvin we should not turn a blind eye.

We should probably also not read too much into the private lives that most of us know next to nothing of in terms of details, and focus on what we do know - their performances as footballers for Hibs.

neil7908
11-09-2019, 10:59 AM
But no one is saying he is a role model or a legend as a person. He is a Hibs legend for his key part in us winning the cup.

But hey, my favourite player of all time is Maradona. I guess I just don't really care what players get upto in their spare time. Many of life's genius's are extremely flawed.

I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

Smashing folk in pubs and harassing women is just nasty stuff and I'm not personally going to use the term legend. Imo you can't really separate the athlete from the man that easily.

If others want to call him a legend fair play, that's up to them. But given I've had folk having a go at me in pubs for nothing and my girlfriend has dealt with stuff like harassment before so just I can't ignore it or brush it off.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.

WeeRussell
11-09-2019, 11:07 AM
I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

Smashing folk in pubs and harassing women is just nasty stuff and I'm not personally going to use the term legend. Imo you can't really separate the athlete from the man that easily.

If others want to call him a legend fair play, that's up to them. But given I've had folk having a go at me in pubs for nothing and my girlfriend has dealt with stuff like harassment before so just I can't ignore it or brush it off.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.

Maradona is sound but Stokes' private life stops him being a legend??!! Seriously? If you've got a lot of time for him you should maybe look into some of the stuff Diego's got up to over the years.

Stokes is a Hibs legend. Maradona is a football legend. Both have had their off-field issues.

scoopyboy
11-09-2019, 11:14 AM

I hear you and wonder what Manchester United fans think of George Best????

I've thought about it plenty since that day in May and convinced fate had a large part in our win. If Rangers hadn't beaten Celtic in the semis we wouldn't have won the cup, of that I'm convinced. We wouldn't have beaten Celtic without Stokes and Henderson.

I sometimes feel disappointed whilst watching the replays that Stokes didn't score five or six goals, that would have been even more sensational than it actually was.

In my fifty odd years of watching Hibs I have never seen any player run the show in an important game like he did, unfortunately I don't think I ever will again.

Argue what you like about him off the pitch but his performance that day was sensational and was the main man without a shadow of a doubt.

green with envy
11-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Another ridiculous comment. You do like a bit of attention on here.

CLASS OF 72 -73
11-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Legend

leg-end or bell-end id say both

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 11:22 AM

I've thought about it plenty since that day in May and convinced fate had a large part in our win. If Rangers hadn't beaten Celtic in the semis we wouldn't have won the cup, of that I'm convinced. We wouldn't have beaten Celtic without Stokes and Henderson.

I sometimes feel disappointed whilst watching the replays that Stokes didn't score five or six goals, that would have been even more sensational than it actually was.

In my fifty odd years of watching Hibs I have never seen any player run the show in an important game like he did, unfortunately I don't think I ever will again.

Argue what you like about him off the pitch but his performance that day was sensational and was the main man without a shadow of a doubt.

When you watch back the game (which Im sure we all have many times), it really is an astonishing performance by Stokes. I just dont see how we win that Cup without him. Always be a Hibs legend in my eyes.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 11:22 AM

Yes. From start to finish it was rubbish.

He’s a little bit different to every other player that day in that he scored 2 goals in the Scottish cup final, had the game of his and our lives and that makes him a legend in every sense of the word. The Legend of Anthony Stokes, the huns slayer 21/05/16.

I don’t care either if he’s a right **** of a person nor gives a **** about us. We don’t sign players to be nice guys or for them to live the club. He scored two goals in a 3-2 win in the biggest game of our history that’s what matters most to me as a hibs fan.

If it was my daughter I would knock the prick out but he would still be a legend regardless.

green with envy
11-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Whether you or I, want to refer him as a legend, does not matter a jot, as history for years to come will show that he indeed is/was as a legend for what he did on that day - 21st May 2016.

Heisenberg
11-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Absolutely spot on. Stokes was incredible. You could see from his goal onwards that he had them every time he got the ball, Tavernier especially. Best performance I’ve ever seen a Hibs player put in.

Smartie
11-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Absolutely spot on. Stokes was incredible. You could see from his goal onwards that he had them every time he got the ball, Tavernier especially. Best performance I’ve ever seen a Hibs player put in.

I remember Stokes and Hooper tearing us apart at Easter Road one time, and they did a decent job on us in the cup final for Celtic a few years earlier.

Stokes that day was just unplayable. It doesn't quite let you forgive everything he does from that moment on, but it goes a long way towards giving him the benefit of the doubt a few times more than he probably deserves.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Another ridiculous comment. You do like a bit of attention on here.

I actually do not like attention on here. I post my opinions and people take personal shots at me. I'd say those are the ones desperate for attention.

The Harp
11-09-2019, 12:47 PM
I've no interest in Stokes, or any other player's, private life. It's got nothing to do with me. What isn't in doubt is Stokes' contribution to the greatest day of my football life. The man for me will always be a Hibs legend for his part in us landing our holy grail, which I never thought I would see.
Apart from that without his two goals in the quarters re-play, we wouldn't even have made it to Hampden that historic day.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 01:31 PM
I've no interest in Stokes, or any other player's, private life. It's got nothing to do with me. What isn't in doubt is Stokes' contribution to the greatest day of my football life. The man for me will always be a Hibs legend for his part in us landing our holy grail, which I never thought I would see.
Apart from that without his two goals in the quarters re-play, we wouldn't even have made it to Hampden that historic day.

Spot on. That quarters watched on Periscope a few days after the LC final. He dragged us through there too. The final he was like a man possessed, he just changed character completely from head down and grumpy when the pass wasn’t to him to coming short for everything tore Tavernier to shreds and there was no stopping him. The best, most important individual performance of all time in a Hibernian jersey. We even got good money for him earlier on in his career too.

JimBHibees
11-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Are you mixing him up with Lennon? :greengrin

theonlywayisup
11-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Pled guilty to stalking his ex. Those 2 goals aside, he is clearly an absolute welt.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does "being a gimp" mean.

My friend Google says that "gimp" apparently is "sometimes used to describe a limp or another physical disability, although it's an outdated and offensive word to use". Another definition is:

1. A limp or a limping gait.
2. A person who limps.

You then used the term a Welt". Again not a term I use or am aware off. Apparently, it's:

1. a leather rim sewn round the edge of a shoe upper to which the sole is attached.
2. a red, raised mark or scar; a weal.

I must lead a sheltered life, I suppose!

Is this what people refer to as "urban language"?

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 02:16 PM

My friend Google says that "gimp" apparently is "sometimes used to describe a limp or another physical disability, although it's an outdated and offensive word to use". Another definition is:

2. A person who limps.

You then used the term a Welt". Again not a term I use or am aware off. Apparently, it's:

1. a leather rim sewn round the edge of a shoe upper to which the sole is attached.

To clarify - he's a horrible person.

I'm grateful for the goals, but i would feel a lot less conflicted if someone else had scored them. Thank **** SDG scored the winner and not stokes.

Heisenberg
11-09-2019, 02:18 PM

I'm grateful for the goals, but i would feel a lot less conflicted if someone else had scored them. Thank **** SDG scored the winner and not stokes.

I assume you feel the same about Marvin Bartley as well?

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Aye, I sat there and thought thank Sauzee it wasn’t Stokes again as it would have completely ruined it 😂😂😂😂

Could the title of this thread not be changed as Stokes is a hero and a legend in many supporters eyes and it’s quite frankly disrespectful to someone who done so much to win us the Scottish Cup.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Pat Stanton got done for drink driving and banned for a year, scrap the king from the legends list too I’m gathering?

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Aye, I sat there and thought thank Sauzee it wasn’t Stokes again as it would have completely ruined it 😂😂😂😂

Could the title of this thread not be changed as Stokes is a hero and a legend in many supporters eyes and it’s quite frankly disrespectful to someone who done so much to win us the Scottish Cup.

Fingers crossed David Gray never gets into any trouble in his life. Would hate to lose him as a legend as well!!

Jamesie
11-09-2019, 02:26 PM
When you watch back the game (which Im sure we all have many times), it really is an astonishing performance by Stokes. I just dont see how we win that Cup without him. Always be a Hibs legend in my eyes.

Stokes re-ignited that Final for us: many, myself included, were feeling a bit down after Rangers made it 2-1 and it seemed like a case of "here we go again". Until, of course, Stokes' perseverance resulted in the header that set us off on our march towards destiny and history.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Fingers crossed David Gray never gets into any trouble in his life. Would hate to lose him as a legend as well!!

He won’t even get called Sir anymore if so. Never mind Gimp.

Sammy7nil
11-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Silly thing to say imho everyone deserves chances however there simply somethings you can't ignore. This is not unforgivable some things are.

2. A person who limps.

Yes you have led a sheltered life.:greengrinp

Since452
11-09-2019, 02:53 PM
My only criticism of Stokes in that game was that he should have scored 2 or 3 more. Nobody could have complained if he had. Stokes played like a man possessed on the biggest stage trying to win Hibs the Scottish Cup and he did. He was a level above anyone else on the park that day.

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 02:58 PM

A bit, yeah. It must be pretty hard and scary for the victims of this kind of stuff to know that the perpetrators are legends in the eyes of thousands. We're talking about people turning folks lives into something quite hellish.

I'm not saying that i disregard everything they did for hibs, by any means. I just think it's important to factor this in when we refer to people as legends. For me personally, stokes was a hero on that day, and the game against caley, but he's a complete prick and it doesn't sit right with me to think of him as a legend. No-one's reputation is unimpeachable IMO.

Jones28
11-09-2019, 02:58 PM
My only criticism of Stokes in that game was that he should have scored 2 or 3 more. Nobody could have complained if he had. Stokes played like a man possessed on the biggest stage trying to win Hibs the Scottish Cup and he did. He was a level above anyone else on the park that day.

I always feel that if he’d scored that shot that cracked off the post in the first half we would have won by 3 or 4 to 0.

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Agreed :aok:

JimBHibees
11-09-2019, 03:00 PM
I always feel that if he’d scored that shot that cracked off the post in the first half we would have won by 3 or 4 to 0.

The shot off the post came just after they scored did it not

Jones28
11-09-2019, 03:09 PM

You’re bang on Jim.

So 3 or 4 1 then 😉

JimBHibees
11-09-2019, 03:10 PM
You’re bang on Jim.

So 3 or 4 1 then 😉

:greengrin

Barman Stanton
11-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Im also pretty sure in an interview that Stokes said this cup win meant more to him than his other medals. I dont think its true that he doesnt care about Hibs. He is just a daft laddie.

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Without Anthony Stokes there was no Scottish Cup win

He was the driving force he was like a man possessed

Losing two to The Rangers at Hampden in a national cup final and still winning is not normally a story one would associate with Hibernian FC

My take on it is we signed Stokes in the January with a big game in mind he was horse sh### for most of the season but had a couple of trial runs versus Caley away and The Rangers 3-2 in the dress rehearsal at Easter Road

Come the actual Final he was like a Class 1 racehorse he was ready to go he was up for it Stokesy was on fire and he was unplayable as others have said he should have scored more than two that day

I hear what people are saying about his off field antics and his personal life and I do not condone his behaviour but the History books show HIBS 3 v 2 The Rangers scorers Stokes 2 Gray 1

Smartie
11-09-2019, 03:26 PM
It was Pulp Fiction that shot the word "gimp" to fame was it not?

"Bring out the gimp" was a line in a quite memorably unpleasant scene in that film.

And it was also the last thing Vladimir Romanov said before Paul Hartley was unveiled for the first time as a Hearts player at a press conference.

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 04:05 PM
A lot of people are missing the point. You can simultaneously be grateful for his contribution that day whilst abhoring personality. To say that it's disrespectful to hold this view is, all in all, pretty poisonous and how a lot of bad people have gotten away with horrible things in the past.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Was after Miller hit the bar? Think it was actually after.

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Impressive thread-jacking going on here to avoid dealing with the actual issue. Subtle yet also quite pathetic, well done :aok:

Sir David Gray
11-09-2019, 04:21 PM

I'm sure you can acknowledge how much of a fanny Stokes is without downplaying his achievements for Hibs.

AgentDaleCooper
11-09-2019, 04:22 PM
I'm sure you can acknowledge how much of a fanny Stokes is without downplaying his achievements for Hibs.

Exactly. I think it's pretty shocking that some people on here regard doing so as 'disrespectful'.

WeeRussell
11-09-2019, 04:44 PM
A lot of people are missing the point. You can simultaneously be grateful for his contribution that day whilst abhoring personality. To say that it's disrespectful to hold this view is, all in all, pretty poisonous and how a lot of bad people have gotten away with horrible things in the past.

Not sure people declining to get involved in criticising the private life of someone on a football forum is going to have a huge effect on bad people getting away with bad actions in the future?

He’s an ex hibs player. Chances are people are going to be more interested in discussing his footballing days with Hibs (leave aside the fact they’re about as famous as they come) than what he’s up to in his own time now, years after being involved with our club.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with acknowledging the guy’s a bit of a dick. Just don’t get all righteous and wound up when others prefer to reflect on the former, rather than pages and pages of slating him.

Onceinawhile
11-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Was after Miller hit the bar? Think it was actually after.

No, it was almost straight after they scored the first. Maybe a minute or two after. Still can't believe it didn't go in.

500miles
11-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Maybe if Doidge or Shaw skelped an Elvis impersonator or two, they'd find themselves on the scoresheet more regularly. Worked for Stokes and big Gaz.

11-09-2019, 06:15 PM

2. A person who limps.

This should help your understanding.
https://youtu.be/S8kPqAV_74M

Joe6-2
11-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Won us the Scottish Cup and is a Hibernian legend, literally, a legend. Regardless of his off field antics.

This!

SouthMoroccoStu
11-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Im also pretty sure in an interview that Stokes said this cup win meant more to him than his other medals. I dont think its true that he doesnt care about Hibs. He is just a daft laddie.

Slightly away from the conversation but he did sell his hibs medal to a fan

One Day Soon
11-09-2019, 07:23 PM
This thread :dunno:

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Impressive thread-jacking going on here to avoid dealing with the actual issue. Subtle yet also quite pathetic, well done :aok:

What’s it got to do with football if you want to discuss the actual issue?

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 07:50 PM
No, it was almost straight after they scored the first. Maybe a minute or two after. Still can't believe it didn't go in.

Part of the match that was an uncontrollable blur. I’ve even seen the dvd about 50 times and the YouTube highlights. I can’t believe miller missed that free header too, looked like the typical one to give away having played amazing.

TrinityHibs
11-09-2019, 07:55 PM

2. A person who limps.

Type in gimp mask it might help you

CRAZYHIBBY
11-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Id take him back in a heart beat

Since452
11-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Part of the match that was an uncontrollable blur. I’ve even seen the dvd about 50 times and the YouTube highlights. I can’t believe miller missed that free header too, looked like the typical one to give away having played amazing.

Im still not convinced we even won. Did we? Surely not

WestCoastHibby
11-09-2019, 08:44 PM
I won’t judge him until I’ve walked a mile in his shoes.
Which would most likely be painful as I have very large feet....😉

FilipinoHibs
11-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Id take him back in a heart beat

As your name says crazy hibby��

Iggy Pope
11-09-2019, 09:58 PM

Did we get beaten 2-1 in your cleansed and less conflicted mind then?
He’s a footballer that’s that. Whatever else he does, bugger it. For all we know Sir David is kicking **** out his cat every night cos he voted Brexit.

The_Horde
11-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Did we get beaten 2-1 in your cleansed and less conflicted mind then?
He’s a footballer that’s that. Whatever else he does, bugger it. For all we know Sir David is kicking **** out his cat every night cos he voted Brexit.

SDG doesn't kick his cat. He heeders it.

FilipinoHibs
11-09-2019, 11:58 PM
SDG doesn't kick his cat. He heeders it.

SDG a decent human being who respects his partner and women.

Haymaker
12-09-2019, 02:23 AM

It's a blur to me... I'm guessing because I was hanging from pre game celebrations and the subsequent post game shenanigans. I definitely lost a few brain cells that weekend. :greengrin

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 06:38 AM

When I watch the game back I still get stressed that Keatings is going to get a touch on to Stokes shot and we don’t get that Corner!! Fitba fans are weird.

green with envy
12-09-2019, 08:20 AM
When I watch the game back I still get stressed that Keatings is going to get a touch on to Stokes shot and we don’t get that Corner!! Fitba fans are weird.

The OP's opening thread title confirms it.

Onceinawhile
12-09-2019, 08:23 AM

I'm stressed that he doesn't get a touch on it. Empty net and he's the hero if he does.

Onceinawhile
12-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Slightly away from the conversation but he did sell his hibs medal to a fan

Did he? I remember it coming up that a player had sold their medal but tbh, I always assumed it was Dagnall.

we are hibs
12-09-2019, 08:27 AM

I was 2nd row in the north stand and didnt have the best few of the winner. All i seen was the ball hit the net and the first hand i seen in the air was Gunnarsson so i assumed it was him and wasnt told until back on the coach it was actually david gray. People looking at me weirdly cause i kept telling them we had to sign him permanantly now cause hes scored the winner

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 08:30 AM
I was 2nd row in the north stand and didnt have the best few of the winner. All i seen was the ball hit the net and the first hand i seen in the air was Gunnarsson so i assumed it was him and wasnt told until back on the coach it was actually david gray. People looking at me weirdly cause i kept telling them we had to sign him permanantly now cause hes scored the winner

Ha I dont really remember the goal at the game. Its a happy blur!

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Good to read I’m not the only one that had all the same emotions even watching it back :greengrin what a day.

Thank you Stokesy and thank you Hibernian.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Ha I dont really remember the goal at the game. Its a happy blur!

I can still hear the ball hitting the back of the net in complete slow motion madness.

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 10:30 AM
I can still hear the ball hitting the back of the net in complete slow motion madness.

No Cup win will ever feel the same as that one. I honestly don't even think beating Hearts in a cup final would beat it. So aye, Stokes will always be a Hibs legend.

FilipinoHibs
12-09-2019, 10:49 AM
No Cup win will ever feel the same as that one. I honestly don't even think beating Hearts in a cup final would beat it. So aye, Stokes will always be a Hibs legend.

But a p**ck.

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 10:51 AM
But a p**ck.

Dont think anyone is denying this. Just doesnt affect his legend status imo.

FilipinoHibs
12-09-2019, 10:53 AM
I think this thread is about Stokes being violent to women and basically a misogynist. Not about his cup winning exploits. Or how a sportman's achievements can excuse their unacceptable behaviour outside their sport. Just saying like.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Aye it’s all downhill from now 😂

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 11:01 AM
I think this thread is about Stokes being violent to women and basically a misogynist. Not about his cup winning exploits. Or how a sportman's achievements can excuse their unacceptable behaviour outside their sport. Just saying like.

Why’s it posted in a football forum then?

we are hibs
12-09-2019, 11:13 AM

It shouldnt be in the main forum then. The op knew exactly what he was doing and exactly the reaction he would get.

WeeRussell
12-09-2019, 11:22 AM

It's clear from your short (albeit repetitive) contributions on this thread that you don't like the man, but aren't you making things up now?

And again, do you honestly expect a thread to be started about a Hibs cup-winning legend on Hibs.net and every reply to be simply calling him a pr1ck?

Just saying like.

Greenbeard
12-09-2019, 01:24 PM
https://youtu.be/p2d7SMjgoC8
100% proven himself to be an R Sole. and a thick one at that judging by the interview.
At 1.37 "I'm just happy that the club has got this voodoo out of the way".
Or was someone really sticking pins in wee hun dolls during the match?

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 01:25 PM
100% proven himself to be an R Sole. and a thick one at that judging by the interview.

That’s what you took from that interview from the player that scored 2 goals in the final to help win us the cup? Really?

WeeRussell
12-09-2019, 02:15 PM

People come across thicker than that on this forum. Every day.

I'm not disputing he's not the brightest by the way. Was never his job to be intelligent though.

HibbyAndy
12-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Legend

1875godsgift
12-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Legend

:agree: And he hates the rangers :thumbsup:

Greenbeard
12-09-2019, 02:41 PM
That’s what you took from that interview from the player that scored 2 goals in the final to help win us the cup? Really?
Just presenting the evidence m'lud that he is not the brightest button which might contribute to some of his off-field behaviours. Mind you intelligent folk can be absolute R Soles as well, and make iffy decisions in their life, ain't that so Boris?

Haymaker
12-09-2019, 03:00 PM

In my memory the corner and goal is in silence. I remember the roar though. Ear drum bursting.

BoomtownHibees
12-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Imagine being the Hibs player who scored 2 goals and put on a MOTM display to win the Scottish Cup and some fans don’t think you’re a “legend”. Madness

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Instead of making me think less of Stokes, this thread just makes me want to watch the Cup Final again! Im not crying, your crying!

Centre Hawf
12-09-2019, 03:19 PM
I seem to be in the minority here but while I thank him for that performance in May he is an absolute roaster and welt of a man. I don't really care if it was his goals that helped us lift the cup but there's 10 other folk I'd rather idolise from that day instead to be honest.

Each to their own though.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 03:22 PM
In my memory the corner and goal is in silence. I remember the roar though. Ear drum bursting.

I’m the opposite mate can hear the ball make a “tsssh” (stupid I know) noise, look to the linesman to see if there’s a flag up and then it was like an outer body experience for a minute, no noise just people going ballistic in silence, then back to reality of wanting the full time whistle to blow and shutting it.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2019, 03:23 PM
I seem to be in the minority here but while I thank him for that performance in May he is an absolute roaster and welt of a man. I don't really care if it was his goals that helped us lift the cup but there's 10 other folk I'd rather idolise from that day instead to be honest.

Dont forget Keatings Gunnarson and The Postman all decent guys as well I am sure

Centre Hawf
12-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Dont forget Keatings Gunnarson and The Postman all decent guys as well I am sure

Definitely. Had the pleasure of meeting Gunnarsson a few times through work and was one of the nicest guys I've met. Would happily have a pint with him over Stokes.

Barman Stanton
12-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Definitely. Had the pleasure of meeting Gunnarsson a few times through work and was one of the nicest guys I've met. Would happily have a pint with him over Stokes.

Probably be right wild night out with Stokes though :dizzy:

worcesterhibby
12-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Stokes has certainly done things in his life that no one should be proud of, but sometimes you have to judge people's sporting achievements separately from their personality. I've met Ian Botham in a social context and he came across as an egotistical tosser...so what....he was a brilliant cricketer. The sort of guy you want on your team not on the oppositions. I would probably avoid having a pint with him in future, but I'm very glad I got to see him play while he was at his best. Roy Keane I suspect is similar. Lots of sportsmen and no doubt Sportswomen are not the nicest people and you know sometimes that ego is what helps them be more succesful.

For his Cup Final performance, he will always be a Hibs legend. As a person he seems like he may well be a roaster. If he was going out with my sister and moving in next door I might be concerned, otherwise let's celebrate that he picked the right day to play the best game of his life.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Stokes has certainly done things in his life that no one should be proud of, but sometimes you have to judge people's sporting achievements separately from their personality. I've met Ian Botham in a social context and he came across as an egotistical tosser...so what....he was a brilliant cricketer. The sort of guy you want on your team not on the oppositions. I would probably avoid having a pint with him in future, but I'm very glad I got to see him play while he was at his best. Roy Keane I suspect is similar. Lots of sportsmen and no doubt Sportswomen are not the nicest people and you know sometimes that ego is what helps them be more succesful.

For his Cup Final performance, he will always be a Hibs legend. As a person he seems like he may well be a roaster. If he was going out with my sister and moving in next door I might be concerned, otherwise let's celebrate that he picked the right day to play the best game of his life.

Summed up perfectly.

Centre Hawf
12-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Summed up perfectly.

My issue with it is that it's a bit of a slap in the face for a victim to hear half a city celebrate a man who made your life a living hell. I certainly wouldn't like to contribute to that for them.

BoomtownHibees
12-09-2019, 04:12 PM
My issue with it is that it's a bit of a slap in the face for a victim to hear half a city celebrate a man who made your life a living hell. I certainly wouldn't like to contribute to that for them.

If he had done all this stuff before the cup final would you have still celebrated his goals?

worcesterhibby
12-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Summed up perfectly.

I'm glad we agree on some stuff :greengrin

Centre Hawf
12-09-2019, 04:25 PM
If he had done all this stuff before the cup final would you have still celebrated his goals?

I think I'll have to admit I'm a hyprocite in saying that I would have. But I'd feel the same about celebrating him in the month/years later.

I'm not saying that my stance is perfect and the right one and the one everyone should have. I just personally prefer to celebrate the other players in the squad and just merely recognise his albeit large contribution. Everyone is entitled to their own approach to this subject.

Sudds_1
12-09-2019, 05:59 PM
SDG a decent human being who respects his partner and women.

His partner aint a woman? 😁😁👿

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 06:14 PM

She got back with the same boy that made her life hell and isn’t from Edinburgh.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 06:14 PM
I'm glad we agree on some stuff :greengrin

Had to come a point in time 😉😁

One Day Soon
12-09-2019, 06:36 PM
He was superb for us that day. It was a legendary performance from a player who hadn't been at his best in the run up to the final. The goals and his play were glorious and I'll never forget it or stop celebrating it.

However he seems to regularly be quite the knob outside of football - and frequently within it too. Unsavoury.

Having said all that I think this thread is a bit w4*k and life would be better if it had never existed.

lugz
12-09-2019, 07:02 PM
Like many have said it's no real secret that he's extremely unlikable off the pitch. I'll be eternally grateful for what he done that day but no time for him as a person.

1875godsgift
12-09-2019, 10:51 PM
Like many have said it's no real secret that he's extremely unlikable off the pitch. I'll be eternally grateful for what he done that day but no time for him as a person.

I think the boy's an absolute hero for that day in May, we wouldn't have won without him, he was on fire :scarf:

Having said that, I've got previous for lamping Elvis impersonators, and if he ever came near me dressed as 'The King' I'd take the **** out, then buy him a pint :not worth

FilipinoHibs
12-09-2019, 11:28 PM
One good thing was that Stokes recognised his behaviour was horrendous and had a detrimental effect on the women. Some on here don't recognise and I think our Marvin was still in denial.

we are hibs
13-09-2019, 04:09 AM
One good thing was that Stokes recognised his behaviour was horrendous and had a detrimental effect on the women. Some on here don't recognise and I think our Marvin was still in denial.

Give it a rest.

Doh Rae Me
13-09-2019, 06:20 AM
I have a signed picture of Stokes and Gray on my wall.
It's staying where it is.
Hibs legends.

BoomtownHibees
13-09-2019, 07:00 AM

You really hate Marv don’t you?

WeeRussell
13-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Feels like you're stalking us on this thread now. Gie yersel peace.

green with envy
13-09-2019, 09:38 AM

You're obviously no a Hibby.:confused:

Centre Hawf
13-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Aye okay.

judas
13-09-2019, 12:36 PM
He's innocent.

She was stalking him, which made it look like he was stalking her.

SRHibs
13-09-2019, 03:27 PM

There's always going to be a bit of cognitive dissonance when a guy who effectively crippled someone for no reason also had such a big hand in helping us win the cup.

WeeRussell
13-09-2019, 03:42 PM
There's always going to be a bit of cognitive dissonance when a guy who effectively crippled someone for no reason also had such a big hand in helping us win the cup.

Who did he effectively cripple? Don't mean that as a sarcy question - genuinely not aware of the story :confused:

SRHibs
13-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Who did he effectively cripple? Don't mean that as a sarcy question - genuinely not aware of the story :confused:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/01/anthony-stokes-suspended-sentence-attacking-elvis-presley-impersonator

WeeRussell
13-09-2019, 04:25 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/01/anthony-stokes-suspended-sentence-attacking-elvis-presley-impersonator

Thanks - wasn’t aware of the apparent severity of injuries/stress, hence wondered if it was another incident (can confirm I was aware of the elvis story!)

judas
13-09-2019, 08:35 PM
The Elvis story is also a fake.

I heard that the Elvis guy attacked Stokes. Naturally Stokes attempted to defend himself and the entanglement that followed somehow led to Stokes being mistaken as the lead belligerent.

This Hibs legend has had a 5hit load of bad luck.

I’m thinking of starting a crowdfunder (Just Giving perhaps) to help this amazing man out.

Jones28
13-09-2019, 08:40 PM
The Elvis story is also a fake.

I heard that the Elvis guy attacked Stokes. Naturally Stokes attempted to defend himself and the entanglement that followed somehow led to Stokes being mistaken as the lead belligerent.

This Hibs legend has has a 5hit load of bad luck.

I’m thinking of starting a crowdfunder (Just Giving perhaps) to helps this amazing man out.

Yeah, I heard he was all shook up about it.

judas
13-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I heard he was all shook up about it.

Yes. He has clearly been caught in a trap.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Yes. He has clearly been caught in a trap.

Paid the fine to avoid the Jailhouse Rock. :greengrin

Since452
14-09-2019, 07:35 AM
He's innocent.

She was stalking him, which made it look like he was stalking her.

Does parking outside his house at night and quietly singing Glory Glory to the Hibees to oneself count as stalking? Asking for a friend.

The 90+2
14-09-2019, 07:41 AM
😂😂😂

The 90+2
14-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Paid the fine to avoid the Jailhouse Rock. :greengrin

You could argue it was his Jailhouse Rock that got him on bother this time.

Stokesy's on fire
14-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Legend top guy as well.

bigwheel
14-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Legend top guy as well.

You a fan ?? [emoji6][emoji106]

judas
14-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Does parking outside his house at night and quietly singing Glory Glory to the Hibees to oneself count as stalking? Asking for a friend.

😂

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2019, 08:29 AM
You could argue it was his Jailhouse Rock that got him on bother this time.

More like his Suspicious Mind 😁

Betty Boop
14-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Feel sorry for the lassie and her Mother.

Stokesy's on fire
14-09-2019, 11:46 AM

What a load of crap

Stokesy's on fire
14-09-2019, 11:47 AM
You a fan ?? [emoji6][emoji106]

Love him!

Stokesy's on fire
14-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Feel sorry for the lassie and her Mother.

Miss Scott got back with stokes after he was charged? Why would she claim to be afraid of him yet get back with him? Dont be fooled

Betty Boop
14-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Miss Scott got back with stokes after he was charged? Why would she claim to be afraid of him yet get back with him? Dont be fooled

Maybe you are the one who's being fooled.

Future17
02-03-2020, 05:17 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/news/crime/former-hibs-star-anthony-stokes-denies-stalking-ex-girlfriend-2012202

Decent chance he serves a sentence this time.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2020, 05:20 PM
I can't believe he is only 31.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2020, 05:28 PM
I’ve met him as I’m sure a few on here have and he is far from despicable. Maybe he needs a hand not a slap.

Steve20
03-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Legend. Without him that day, we wouldn't have won the cup.

Hibernian Verse
03-03-2020, 09:34 AM
Dreadful comment, this is a serious offenceIt was slightly funny, though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EI255
03-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I disagree with this post.

Anthony Stokes is and always will be a Hibernian legend. Forever.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

DarlingtonHibee
03-03-2020, 10:41 AM

He's a hibs legend, football wise.

But, not above the law.

AgentDaleCooper
03-03-2020, 10:47 AM
It's possible to be a legend and a tosser at the same time.

Centre Hawf
03-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Great footballer, odious person.

MWHIBBIES
03-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Great player and I'm very grateful for that day but I'm glad we have a slightly higher class of legend like Lewis and Gray still representing us and he's long gone.

Greenbeard
03-03-2020, 12:16 PM

Could re-open the previous debate about what makes a legend a legend.
Or maybe what makes a pr1ck a pr1ck.
The two are not complimentary when you behave off the park like he has done and continues to do. Legend status is not permanent (unless it is granted posthum......when yer deid). It can be diluted by other subsequent factors, things you do or say (a la Kamberi, not that he was, or ever will be, anywhere near being considered to be a Hibs legend). Or it can be lost completely. But no doubt come 2066 and the 50th anniversary, Hibees who witnessed that day will look back on Stokes's legendary contribution and acknowledge with a wry smile and the smallest of references that he was a right pr1ck off the pitch.

jgl07
03-03-2020, 01:57 PM
He probably knows people who have?

The 90+2
03-03-2020, 02:26 PM
He probably knows people who have?

True.

Future17
03-03-2020, 03:03 PM
he's just having a laugh. Get a grip.

Do you not think it could be seen as trivialising the offence? Would you defend "jokes" about rape or paedophilia?

Weegreenman
03-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Not interested in his private life tbh. That’s his business and nobody is perfect. That is until that day in 2016 were he played the perfect game. For that I will always be grateful

Peevemor
03-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Do you not think it could be seen as trivialising the offence? Would you defend "jokes" about rape or paedophilia?

We've all laughed at sick jokes. Most of us will have made sick jokes at some point. There are some things that I personally wouldn't joke about but others will and vice versa.

Things take more gravity and seem far worse written down than said out loud to mates. This is one of these instances IMO.

ColintonHibs
03-03-2020, 05:40 PM

He stalks who he wants,
He stalks who he waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaants!!
Our number 9 Stokesy, he stalk's who he wants!!

Future17
05-03-2020, 10:18 AM
We've all laughed at sick jokes. Most of us will have made sick jokes at some point. There are some things that I personally wouldn't joke about but others will and vice versa.

Things take more gravity and seem far worse written down than said out loud to mates. This is one of these instances IMO.

I kind of agree with part of that, but the difference between talking to mates and posting online is knowing your audience.

I think there's far too many cowards online who revel in the anonymity social media affords them and say things they know are offensive which they wouldn't be brave enough to say in public.

To an extent, people who use Twitter, Facebook etc. may have to accept that such people exist and so they may be exposed to comments which would offend. I think on a site like this however, which is a mixed community with a common interest, we should set a higher standard.

HoboHarry
05-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Afraid it was a whoosh for me 😳
I still don't get it?

scoopyboy
05-03-2020, 11:29 AM
He stalks who he wants,
He stalks who he waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaants!!
Our number 9 Stokesy, he stalk's who he wants!!

Moot point, has he ever worn the number 9 jersey for Hibs?

Barman Stanton
05-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Moot point, has he ever worn the number 9 jersey for Hibs?

Nope. Only 28 and 18.

MrRobot
05-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Is that one of those jokes that is actually pretty funny but you're not allowed to laugh at these days?

:agree:

People love getting offended over jokes these days.

Centre Hawf
05-03-2020, 12:58 PM
This thread took a particularly poor turn.

Anthony Soprano
05-03-2020, 01:26 PM
I kind of agree with part of that, but the difference between talking to mates and posting online is knowing your audience.

I think there's far too many cowards online who revel in the anonymity social media affords them and say things they know are offensive which they wouldn't be brave enough to say in public.

To an extent, people who use Twitter, Facebook etc. may have to accept that such people exist and so they may be exposed to comments which would offend. I think on a site like this however, which is a mixed community with a common interest, we should set a higher standard.

Jesus Christ lighten up mate, was intended as harmless banter as others have clearly acknowledged, had a chuckle and moved on.

Ignore me in future if you're going to get your panties in a bunch

Future17
05-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Jesus Christ lighten up mate, was intended as harmless banter as others have clearly acknowledged, had a chuckle and moved on.

Ignore me in future if you're going to get your panties in a bunch

Unfortunately, it wasn't possible for folk to know to ignore your comment before they'd read it.

I totally get that some jokes aren't to everyone's taste and that people will be exposed to humour they don't enjoy in certain circumstances and need to learn to deal with that.

However, I think it crosses a line to make a joke directly at the expense of a victim of a crime, particularly in a forum where that victim or her friends and family might read it, not to mention other people who have been victims of similar crimes.

McD
05-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately, it wasn't possible for folk to know to ignore your comment before they'd read it.

I totally get that some jokes aren't to everyone's taste and that people will be exposed to humour they don't enjoy in certain circumstances and need to learn to deal with that.

However, I think it crosses a line to make a joke directly at the expense of a victim of a crime, particularly in a forum where that victim or her friends and family might read it, not to mention other people who have been victims of similar crimes.

:agree: I agree

Mcbizz1998
16-09-2022, 04:03 PM
Now has a warrant out for his arrest.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/anthony-stokes-arrest-warrant-for-former-hibs-and-celtic-player-who-stalked-his-ex-girlfriend-3846366?amp

What on earth is wrong with the guy?!

OldEast
16-09-2022, 04:21 PM
:agree:

People love getting offended over jokes these days.

Especially on here. Cannae be many football forums quite so pc.

WeeRussell
16-09-2022, 05:46 PM

Does two and a half years ago still count as “these days”?

Diclonius
16-09-2022, 06:02 PM

Aye the never-ending torrents of complete bile on AFC Chat/RangersMedia/Kickback are much better, it would be fantastic if we couldn't go two pages on here without seeing some uncensored slur.

Mick O'Rourke
16-09-2022, 06:43 PM
Now has a warrant out for his arrest.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/anthony-stokes-arrest-warrant-for-former-hibs-and-celtic-player-who-stalked-his-ex-girlfriend-3846366?amp

What on earth is wrong with the guy?!

His lawyer will argue that his client is observing the National Mourning period till Monday and the court should take that into account,rather than alert every police force in these Islands to hunt him down.

Cannae ignore this though
Its not going to go away,Stokesie

hibbydog
16-09-2022, 06:55 PM
Pretty poor stuff

Skol
16-09-2022, 08:07 PM
T
His lawyer will argue that his client is observing the National Mourning period till Monday and the court should take that into account,rather than alert every police force in these Islands to hunt him down.

Cannae ignore this though
Its not going to go away,Stokesie

Not sure how stokes old man would feel about him being in mourning.

Mick O'Rourke
16-09-2022, 08:23 PM
T

Not sure how stokes old man would feel about him being in mourning.

I was being facetious :wink:

JimBHibees
16-09-2022, 09:44 PM

Indeed

Col2
16-09-2022, 09:53 PM
I would help fund any legal costs he has or any other help he needed in the future.

Will Always ALWAYS be a legend for that day.

Changed our history, our club, our memories.

AgentDaleCooper
16-09-2022, 10:09 PM
I would help fund any legal costs he has or any other help he needed in the future.

If he's made an innocent person's life hell, then i most definitely wouldn't extend him a shred of support.

I thank him for the goals. Those 95 minutes aside, the guy is as comprehensive a tool as we've had at our club.

Haymaker
16-09-2022, 10:40 PM
Could still be banging in the goals for the Hibs if he'd screw the nut. Shame but will always be a legend for That Day in May.

Smartie
17-09-2022, 12:00 AM
If he's made an innocent person's life hell, then i most definitely wouldn't extend him a shred of support.

I thank him for the goals. Those 95 minutes aside, the guy is as comprehensive a tool as we've had at our club.

Not saying he isn’t a walloper but those 95 minutes are amongst the most significant contributions made by an individual player in the entire history of our club and can’t really be disregarded all that easily.

They should at the very least have bought him a bit of forgiveness from some of us.

They certainly have done with me, even if I do take a dim view on IRA sympathising, Elvis paggering, or former spouse hassling.

That forgiveness isn’t limitless but it exists nonetheless.

CockneyRebel
17-09-2022, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=neil7908;5923468]I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.[/QU

You have a lot of time for a footballer who cheated on the biggest stage that football has, whose excuse was "he was helped by God". Please explain that excuse in the context of this thread. That one act, over and above his undoubted footballing ability, made him a legend in Scotland (and Argentina), and by yourself going by the slant of your thread.
His cheating helped his team win the match, and more.

Fact: The Hibs team were brilliant in the cup final but his (stokes) performance won Hibs the Scottish cup without cheating or being given a helping hand by God. A truly magnificent performance which (among others) made him a legend for Hibs.

Fact: Stokes' persona off the field of play, for Hibs and in his private life, was in the main indefensible but a football legend should be measured by his on field actions only because of the word "football".

You will see that I have not attacked Maradona for his off field activities as you have attacked Stokes for his. I would need a lot of space.
As a man I have no time for Stokes but I would always buy him a pint for what he gave me and my son and all Hibs supporters on that day in May.

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2022, 12:59 AM

Then lets have him a legend on football matters - this thread, and call him whatever takes your fancy on the Holy Ground.

I'll always love him for his Hibs contribution.

Jones28
17-09-2022, 07:05 AM
He’s a dobber.

But he can keep his legendary status for the cup.

neil7908
17-09-2022, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=neil7908;5923468]I'm not expecting perfection. In fact Maradona is an interesting one as I actually have a lot of time for him. I'm not on some of moral crusade. Something like having an affair is none of my business. I have a petty liberal view of drug taking so again that's not something I'd say is terrible in and of itself as its mostly self destructive.

There isn't two Anthony Stokes, it's the one guy playing for Hibs and doing this stuff so I just don't believe you can split it out like that and praise one but not the other.[/QU

You have a lot of time for a footballer who cheated on the biggest stage that football has, whose excuse was "he was helped by God". Please explain that excuse in the context of this thread. That one act, over and above his undoubted footballing ability, made him a legend in Scotland (and Argentina), and by yourself going by the slant of your thread.
His cheating helped his team win the match, and more.

Fact: The Hibs team were brilliant in the cup final but his (stokes) performance won Hibs the Scottish cup without cheating or being given a helping hand by God. A truly magnificent performance which (among others) made him a legend for Hibs.

Fact: Stokes' persona off the field of play, for Hibs and in his private life, was in the main indefensible but a football legend should be measured by his on field actions only because of the word "football".

You will see that I have not attacked Maradona for his off field activities as you have attacked Stokes for his. I would need a lot of space.
As a man I have no time for Stokes but I would always buy him a pint for what he gave me and my son and all Hibs supporters on that day in May.

A footballer cheating on the pitch!? I've never heard of such behaviour!! Seriously though, every single footballer cheats on the pitch be it diving, feigning injury to waste time etc. Maradona was just the most high profile example but it's endemic. The greatest player ever, Messi, has an 8 minute montage on YouTube of him diving and there are some belters.

So no, a footballer cheating on the pitch, the ref somehow missing it and him coming up with a daft excuse is not as big an issue imo as harassing women. One only matters in the make believe world of football, the other us sadly a horrible every day occurrence that should be stamped out, not encouraged by buying perpetrators a pint.

If you want to talk Hibs legends let's go with someone who actually cares about our club and who had a pretty important part on that day - SDG.

Brightside
17-09-2022, 08:03 AM

Have you actually read what he did. Stupid comment.

hibee-boys
17-09-2022, 08:56 AM
He’ll never be forgotten for playing a huge part in us lifting the Scottish Cup but deary me, he’s got serious issues.

CockneyRebel
17-09-2022, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=CockneyRebel;7102837]

A footballer cheating on the pitch!? I've never heard of such behaviour!! Seriously though, every single footballer cheats on the pitch be it diving, feigning injury to waste time etc. Maradona was just the most high profile example but it's endemic. The greatest player ever, Messi, has an 8 minute montage on YouTube of him diving and there are some belters.

So no, a footballer cheating on the pitch, the ref somehow missing it and him coming up with a daft excuse is not as big an issue imo as harassing women. One only matters in the make believe world of football, the other us sadly a horrible every day occurrence that should be stamped out, not encouraged by buying perpetrators a pint.

If you want to talk Hibs legends let's go with someone who actually cares about our club and who had a pretty important part on that day - SDG.

Re-read the last two lines of my post then re-read your post.

neil7908
17-09-2022, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=neil7908;7102916]

Re-read the last two lines of my post then re-read your post.

So I should ignore the rest of your post, which is about three quarters what you wrote?

Maybe you should read the last line of my post and reflect on what a true Hibs legend looks like. Its not someone who doesn't give a **** about Hibs and stalks women.

Your free to buy him a pint next time you see him of course. Not for me though. Stevenson and SDG will get as many from me as they want.

Col2
17-09-2022, 09:35 AM
Have you actually read what he did. Stupid comment.

Yes I did. He clearly has some issues and he has committed a crime, probably not prison time worthy but should still needs to be dealt with. He probably needs some help / support hence my comment given his legendary status.

Did you read something different that suggested his crime was more serious? If so then happy to revise view. I am not playing down what he did, just taking on face value.

jacomo
17-09-2022, 09:54 AM

Each to their own.

Giving your money to a guy who’s earned huge money in his career because he can’t be bothered to turn up for a court appearance is a very bad use of your own cash. Perhaps your family would appreciate it more?

Torto7
17-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Stokes is an utter welt and keeps the company of utter welts. Thanks for winning us the cup but it doesn't excuse him being a bellend. I'm surprised he hasn't got wee Barry to get some of his goons to go around and threaten the lassie. She must be brave standing up to him.

Winston Ingram
17-09-2022, 02:41 PM
Looks like he’s off to the clink and deservedly so.

McHibby
17-09-2022, 03:02 PM
Yes I did. He clearly has some issues and he has committed a crime, probably not prison time worthy but should still needs to be dealt with. He probably needs some help / support hence my comment given his legendary status.

Did you read something different that suggested his crime was more serious? If so then happy to revise view. I am not playing down what he did, just taking on face value.

Do you really not consider stalking and harassment to be a serious crime? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, it's a genuine question.

As a female, the thought of it absolutely chills me to the bone. There are countless cases of women who've been murdered by a stalker after the police have taken little or no action when it was reported.

Mick O'Rourke
17-09-2022, 03:11 PM
Do you really not consider stalking and harassment to be a serious crime? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, it's a genuine question.

As a female, the thought of it absolutely chills me to the bone. There are countless cases of women who've been murdered by a stalker after the police have taken little or no action when it was reported.

I agree totally.
She must have been terrified.
He also frightened the girls family.
And he has admitted to that.
He needs to go to the court and face the judgement.
He may also need mental health help.

FitbaFolkKen
17-09-2022, 05:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220917/1d878132df19bfa24c8107d5452eb080.png
Are we sure it’s the same guy, I’m not convinced from the paper pictures…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchie
19-09-2022, 12:58 AM
Then lets have him a legend on football matters - this thread, and call him whatever takes your fancy on the Holy Ground.

I'll always love him for his Hibs contribution.
:top marks

Col2
19-09-2022, 08:11 AM
Apologies if I have offended anyone. I was not trying to deliberately play down his crime but in hindsight I can see why it looked that way. I understand how bad stalking can be on victims given recent high profile cases.