PDA

View Full Version : Longbangers Episode 10: Sandi Toksvig Models Scarves

matty_f
10-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Episode 10 is available now, with guest star and competition winner @kernalkhaos joining us, we discuss:
what’s wrong with Hibs and what we’d do to make it right.
Hibs Ladies
Killie preview
General nonsense

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560#episodeGuid=b3350c9a-5fda-f268-eb77-580141c4fb01

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1V4KNEwpg1N7GAkY1hZtFS?si=y7hG5ObCQ8-pu-UwczKnVA

Viva_Palmeiras
10-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Are the episode titles a nod to Reeves and Mortimer?

matty_f
10-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Not really but this one is, if you imagine Bob doing his Sandi Toksvig impression :greengrin

bigwheel
11-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Had a good chuckle on the way to the office today listening to the recent podcast ...nice one guys

Quote of the week..

“I’d just like to say that being pre 2010 is not the only reason I’m scratching out Paul Hartley!” [emoji23][emoji23]

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Aboot time 🤭👍

DaveF
11-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Another very good listen though hopefully we hear the return of Mr Ped next week (a happy neigh rather than an exasperated one)

matty_f
11-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Another very good listen though hopefully we hear the return of Mr Ped next week (a happy neigh rather than an exasperated one)

I was disappointed at the lack of the horse whisperer appearing. Felt empty afterwards. :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
11-09-2019, 10:32 AM
I’m busy trademarking that sound.

Carheenlea
11-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Episode title could have ended up a bit more salty had it leant on the Julian Clary anecdote.

matty_f
11-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Episode title could have ended up a bit more salty had it meant on the Julian Clary anecdote.

Haha!! I forgot that had come up in the episode to tell you the truth, feel like that was an opportunity missed now!

11-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the podcast gents.
For the next one here are some Duncan derby dares.

I dare:
Zlamal to wear boxing gloves instead of goalie gloves.

Hearts team to trot out onto the pitch whilst clacking coconut halves à la Monty Python and the Holy Grail. We'll supply the coconuts.

Steven Maclean to try and grab Daz by the baws.

Berra to play it out from the back.

Naismith to let the referee, referee the game.

Uche and Walker to stay on their feet.

matty_f
11-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the podcast gents.
For the next one here are some Duncan derby dares.

I dare:
Zlamal to wear boxing gloves instead of goalie gloves.

Hearts team to trot out onto the pitch whilst clacking coconut halves à la Monty Python and the Holy Grail. We'll supply the coconuts.

Steven Maclean to try and grab Daz by the baws.

Berra to play it out from the back.

Naismith to let the referee, referee the game.

Uche and Walker to stay on their feet.

:faf: Great image of them coming out like that!!

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Did you manage to find out if the champions league music is played tonight? I think it might be some disco *****.

DaveF
11-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Terrible swearing again. Oh, I think Christian Fuchs is Austrian. Almost German ☺️

The_Horde
11-09-2019, 01:55 PM
First time I haven't managed to listen to the full episode. Sorry lads, the cringe got too much for me.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-09-2019, 02:08 PM
First time I haven't managed to listen to the full episode. Sorry lads, the cringe got too much for me.

What made you cringe? We appreciate all feedback. PM me if you’d rather slag matty_f privately 😂

The_Horde
11-09-2019, 02:37 PM
What made you cringe? We appreciate all feedback. PM me if you’d rather slag matty_f privately 😂

PM sent.

Seriously though.. I wasn't a fan of 'tell us what's wrong at Hibs but don't say the actual thing that's wrong at Hibs'.

I'm not sure what the point in that was. Possibly to be funny or to try and force a look for alternate angles but it really just came across as a not so subtle attempt at pushing a 'back the manager' agenda. In fact, at one point you said 'I can't say sack the manager so i'll say back the manager'. You clearly don't even believe it yourself but you just said it because you were told not to say 'sack the manager'.

A podcast like this would benefit more from a bit of debate and discussion instead of just an hour of you all agreeing with each other.

I cringed mostly at the dad pattor. But if it's any consolation, that's probably much in the same way that I cringe when Tam Cowan makes jokes.

Does that make Matty the Tesco value Tam Cowan? Maybe

Other than that though guys you're doing a great job.. :greengrin

DaveF
11-09-2019, 02:42 PM
PM sent.

Seriously though.. I wasn't a fan of 'tell us what's wrong at Hibs but don't say the actual thing that's wrong at Hibs'.

I'm not sure what the point in that was. Possibly to be funny or to try and force a look for alternate angles but it really just came across as a not so subtle attempt at pushing a 'back the manager' agenda. In fact, at one point you said 'I can't say sack the manager so i'll say back the manager'. You clearly don't even believe it yourself but you just said it because you were told not to say 'sack the manager'.

A podcast like this would benefit more from a bit of debate and discussion instead of just an hour of you all agreeing with each other.

I cringed mostly at the dad pattor. But if it's any consolation, that's probably much in the same way that I cringe when Tam Cowan makes jokes.

The guys have debated heckingbottom at length on previous shows so that was why (I assume) he was not part of that question.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-09-2019, 03:01 PM
PM sent.

Appreciated. I’m off the cuff so I don’t do any research or note-taking. Unfortunately, my stance is to sack the manager so without that option you could probably hear me clearly floundering 😂

JimBHibees
11-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Another good listen. Good work. :thumbsup:

matty_f
11-09-2019, 03:30 PM
PM sent.

Cheers for that, I think we'd need to be the Aldi version rather than Tesco though.

The choice to go with the "don't say sack the manager" wasn't about pushing any kind of "back the manager" agenda but just to take the conversation on to a different area of focus.

I think we all said "sack the manager" anyway at some point in the podcast - it would have been a lot shorter (and arguably better!) if we'd just went with the obvious option.

Can't promise the jokes will get any better :agree:

With respect to just agreeing, as Brian said we don't prepare a stance beforehand and pretty much shoot from the hip for the whole thing so at some point we'll disagree and at other times we'll agree.

Bit like here, really.

matty_f
11-09-2019, 03:34 PM
The guys have debated heckingbottom at length on previous shows so that was why (I assume) he was not part of that question.

:agree: It's been done to death on our podcast, on twitter and on here - we just tried to take the discussion somewhere else.

Gives us food for thought on future episodes though :agree:

matty_f
11-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Another good listen. Good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jim, appreciated!

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 04:34 PM
PM sent.

I listen to it the other way. Both want the HC gone but are being polite about it and try to be not too over the top with it.

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 04:41 PM
I listen to it the other way. Both want the HC gone but are being polite about it and try to be not too over the top with it.

This

04Sauzee
11-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Cheers for that, I think we'd need to be the Aldi version rather than Tesco though.

The choice to go with the "don't say sack the manager" wasn't about pushing any kind of "back the manager" agenda but just to take the conversation on to a different area of focus.

I think we all said "sack the manager" anyway at some point in the podcast - it would have been a lot shorter (and arguably better!) if we'd just went with the obvious option.

Can't promise the jokes will get any better :agree:

With respect to just agreeing, as Brian said we don't prepare a stance beforehand and pretty much shoot from the hip for the whole thing so at some point we'll disagree and at other times we'll agree.

Bit like here, really.

I like it, i like the 'dad patter'. There is only one thing i would change and that would be to get all the guests in the same room which i know isnt feasible. Other than that i wouldn't change it. Ita light hearted and isnt all downbeat.

matty_f
11-09-2019, 06:18 PM
I like it, i like the 'dad patter'. There is only one thing i would change and that would be to get all the guests in the same room which i know isnt feasible. Other than that i wouldn't change it. Ita light hearted and isnt all downbeat.

:aok: Yeah if we could figure out the logistics to get everyone together then that would be better - definitely for the sound anyway.

Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

rotherhamrob
11-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Neigh horse sound, nae podcast.
Hopefully it's back next week with Brian struggling to find the words to explain where such a fantastic performance came from.

Danderhall Hibs
11-09-2019, 10:15 PM
I enjoyed it - thought the new guy added to it as well. He made some good points and was quite funny.

Good stuff.

matty_f
11-09-2019, 10:17 PM
I enjoyed it - thought the new guy added to it as well. He made some good points and was quite funny.

Good stuff.

Cheers mate! :aok:

John was a good addition. :agree:

My_Wife_Camille
12-09-2019, 01:09 PM
I've tried a couple of times as I can never have too much Hibs in my life but I find it difficult to listen to. I'll give some thoughts but I imagine I don't particularly fall into your target audience so understand if you want to dismiss it.

I'm another who finds the dad pattor and discussions about crisps a bit cringey. It just comes down to different styles of humour but for me it's a big turn off. There's obviously people who enjoy it but it's just not for me.

I'd also say that the dynamic of a couple of random guys I don't know just sitting down and having a chat about what Hibs did at the weekend isn't overly engaging. For example, a couple of strangers at the table next to me at the pub talking about Hibs wouldn't hold my attention so just because it's on a podcast doesn't make much of a difference, especially when a lot of it is just an audio version of what you get on here. I'd also say I wasn't a fan of the 'don't say sack the manager' thing. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but I also felt it was a bit of an attempt to push an agenda but understand you have addressed that.

A more interesting alternative to the linear question of 'What needs to change but don't say the manager' could be something like acknowledging the Hibs fans perception of Paul Heckingbottom but asking Brian to a case for getting rid and John to make a case to keep and Matty/listeners judge based on that. It would encourage some discussion, different points of view and having someone passionately defend a manager they think should be sacked could be quite funny.

A bit of advice I would give is to decide who the podcast is really for. Is it for the Hibs community or is it for Matty and Brian?

matty_f
12-09-2019, 01:19 PM
I've tried a couple of times as I can never have too much Hibs in my life but I find it difficult to listen to. I'll give some thoughts but I imagine I don't particularly fall into your target audience so understand if you want to dismiss it.

I'm another who finds the dad pattor and discussions about crisps a bit cringey. It just comes down to different styles of humour but for me it's a big turn off. There's obviously people who enjoy it but it's just not for me.

I'd also say that the dynamic of a couple of random guys I don't know just sitting down and having a chat about what Hibs did at the weekend isn't overly engaging. For example, a couple of strangers at the table next to me at the pub talking about Hibs wouldn't hold my attention so just because it's on a podcast doesn't make much of a difference, especially when a lot of it is just an audio version of what you get on here. I'd also say I wasn't a fan of the 'don't say sack the manager' thing. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but I also felt it was a bit of an attempt to push an agenda but understand you have addressed that.

A more interesting alternative to the linear question of 'What needs to change but don't say the manager' could be something like acknowledging the Hibs fans perception of Paul Heckingbottom but asking Brian to a case for getting rid and John to make a case to keep and Matty/listeners judge based on that. It would encourage some discussion, different points of view and having someone passionately defend a manager they think should be sacked could be quite funny.

A bit of advice I would give is to decide who the podcast is really for. Is it for the Hibs community or is it for Matty and Brian?

Cheers for the feedback, it's always welcome - different strokes for different folks, etc.

Just to address a couple of the points you've raised. The humour is what it is, we set our stall out to be a bit different from what's already out there.

The Hibs Talk podcast do a fantastic job of discussing in detail the events at Hibs, and we're not really interested in competing for that space. We're pretty comfortable with that choice and completely accept that it's not what everyone is going to want.

I don't feel that the question "what needs to change and don't say the manager?" is linear at all. It's an open question that excludes just one possibility that has been done to death elsewhere (and, in fact, on our own podcast the week before!).

I don't think there's much we can do about being two (sometimes three) randoms discussing Hibs. That is, essentially, what we are. The podcast is by fans, for fans - you make the comparison with this site, well there's probably a good reason for that in that we are, like everyone else on here, just a couple of guys who are into Hibs.

We haven't positioned ourselves to be anything other than that.

Finally the podcast is essentially something we do because we enjoy it. Some feedback we've had tells us others like it and that gives us incentive to go back and do more, it's not for everyone and I won't apologise for that - it's rare that anything is (some people don't even like Hibs, would you believe?).

We do it because we enjoy it, and if others enjoy it then that's even better. We don't have a target audience in mind, we just put it out there.

matty_f
12-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Neigh horse sound, nae podcast.
Hopefully it's back next week with Brian struggling to find the words to explain where such a fantastic performance came from.

If there's no horse noise next week I swear I'll do time. :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2019, 01:22 PM

I’ll let the Hibs.net community answer this one for me as I fear I might be less than polite with my response.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 01:24 PM

It’s like someone has said to you “post the exact opposite of that twat 90+2s thoughts on that podcast” :greengrin

Smartie
12-09-2019, 01:39 PM
I think it's clearly a good sign that the podcast is being listened to by so many people that it is now reaching some who don't like it.

You'll never please everyone. The ones that don't like it won't listen again and you'll be left with those who do enjoy it.

Be very careful whose criticism you listen to and take to heart.

Wheat Hound
12-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Surely most podcasts are by folk you dont know?!

Personally I like it because I too cant get enough Hibs related stuff to read / listen to.

I like the fact it's not too serious and has a good combination of laughs and discussion about the games.

matty_f
12-09-2019, 01:51 PM
I think it's clearly a good sign that the podcast is being listened to by so many people that it is now reaching some who don't like it.

You'll never please everyone. The ones that don't like it won't listen again and you'll be left with those who do enjoy it.

:aok:

It's never going to be for everyone and I don't mind constructive criticism in the slightest, I'm a big advocate of feedback and like you say, you choose what feedback you give weight to and which you cast aside.

We'd be doing something wrong if everyone liked it! :greengrin

matty_f
12-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Surely most podcasts are by folk you dont know?!

Personally I like it because I too cant get enough Hibs related stuff to read / listen to.

I like the fact it's not too serious and has a good combination of laughs and discussion about the games.

Thanks - that's appreciated :aok:

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 01:55 PM

That’s the most important part in all of it imo. That and enjoy it, don’t change to something you don’t enjoy or discuss what you don’t enjoy discussing about to please a few because that’s one of the best part that’s it’s not scripted or agenda driven. It’s a few Hibees talking football and having a laugh.

My_Wife_Camille
12-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Cheers for the feedback, it's always welcome - different strokes for different folks, etc.

Just to address a couple of the points you've raised. The humour is what it is, we set our stall out to be a bit different from what's already out there.

The Hibs Talk podcast do a fantastic job of discussing in detail the events at Hibs, and we're not really interested in competing for that space. We're pretty comfortable with that choice and completely accept that it's not what everyone is going to want.

I don't feel that the question "what needs to change and don't say the manager?" is linear at all. It's an open question that excludes just one possibility that has been done to death elsewhere (and, in fact, on our own podcast the week before!).

I don't think there's much we can do about being two (sometimes three) randoms discussing Hibs. That is, essentially, what we are. The podcast is by fans, for fans - you make the comparison with this site, well there's probably a good reason for that in that we are, like everyone else on here, just a couple of guys who are into Hibs.

We haven't positioned ourselves to be anything other than that.

Finally the podcast is essentially something we do because we enjoy it. Some feedback we've had tells us others like it and that gives us incentive to go back and do more, it's not for everyone and I won't apologise for that - it's rare that anything is (some people don't even like Hibs, would you believe?).

We do it because we enjoy it, and if others enjoy it then that's even better. We don't have a target audience in mind, we just put it out there.
I'm glad you took the feedback as was intended and hopefully you can take something from it. I have a bit of experience in this field so my thoughts and questions were for you guys to reflect on, should you choose to.

As Smartie quite rightly pointed out, there's no such thing as universal approval so trying to please everyone would end up being nothing more than a waste of time but I'd also be weary of dismissing criticism or suggestions outright, even if is from someone who isn't necessarily a fan.

I think at the end of the day Longbangers just ain't for me (neither is HibsTalk btw, same thing about just being randoms I think) so my wait for a Hibs themed podcast continues. Good luck.

matty_f
12-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I'm glad you took the feedback as was intended and hopefully you can take something from it. I have a bit of experience in this field so my thoughts and questions were for you guys to reflect on, should you choose to.

As Smartie quite rightly pointed out, there's no such thing as universal approval so trying to please everyone would end up being nothing more than a waste of time but I'd also be weary of dismissing criticism or suggestions outright, even if is from someone who isn't necessarily a fan.

I think at the end of the day Longbangers just ain't for me (neither is HibsTalk btw, same thing about just being randoms I think) so my wait for a Hibs themed podcast continues. Good luck.

Why don't you put one out?

My_Wife_Camille
12-09-2019, 03:11 PM
I’ll let the Hibs.net community answer this one for me as I fear I might be less than polite with my response.

Why don't you put one out?
I'm sensing that my feedback wasn't as welcomed as initially suggested. I'll leave you to it.

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Can I ask what you are looking for in a hibs themed podcast? Actual employees of the club introducing one? Surely that would be any bar impartial?

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2019, 03:16 PM
I'm sensing that my feedback wasn't as welcomed as initially suggested. I'll leave you to it.

Now now, don’t get precious dear. Feedback is always welcomed, I just decide whether I pay any attention to it or not, that’s all.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2019, 03:21 PM
This isn't going to end well!

My_Wife_Camille
12-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Now now, don’t get precious dear. Feedback is always welcomed, I just decide whether I pay any attention to it or not, that’s all.
Of course you do. I fail to see why you wouldn't be polite about it though.

This isn't going to end well!
It's going to end now because I'm just going to leave them to it. I gave the boys some honest and helpful feedback, advice and suggestions which was evidently not welcomed so as far as I'm concerned that's that.

Hibs Fraggle
12-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Don't mind me, just sitting with some popcorn

The 90+2
12-09-2019, 03:31 PM
:greengrin

matty_f
12-09-2019, 03:33 PM

For the record, my question was genuine - it wasn't intended to be sarcastic. I would have thought from my previous response that I took the feedback on board.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2019, 03:34 PM
It's going to end now because I'm just going to leave them to it. I gave the boys some honest and helpful feedback, advice and suggestions which was evidently not welcomed so as far as I'm concerned that's that.

Seems fair enough.

matty_f
12-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Seems fair enough.

It is fair enough, and for the record, all the feedback we've had is welcomed. :agree:

04Sauzee
12-09-2019, 04:21 PM
It is fair enough, and for the record, all the feedback we've had is welcomed. :agree:

Like i have said before i hope you dont change it to much, obviously there will be different topics week by week. I like it becuase its not boring or negative after a defeat. Hope the listening figures continue to grow

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Of course you do. I fail to see why you wouldn't be polite about it though.

You’re right. I just don’t like it when people say Matty has shan patter...I’ve grown quite fond of him these past few weeks 😂

matty_f
12-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Like i have said before i hope you dont change it to much, obviously there will be different topics week by week. I like it becuase its not boring or negative after a defeat. Hope the listening figures continue to grow

Thanks for that! :aok:

matty_f
12-09-2019, 05:00 PM
You’re right. I just don’t like it when people say Matty has shan patter...I’ve grown quite fond of him these past few weeks 😂

No need to be protective, if anything shan patter is an upgrade on what usually gets said about me!

12-09-2019, 05:06 PM

I thought we're witnessing the emergence of Britain's latest comedy double act. It's like listening to Cannon and Wise.

matty_f
12-09-2019, 05:11 PM
I thought we're witnessing the emergence of Britain's latest comedy double act. It's like listening to Cannon and Wise.

:hilarious

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2019, 05:24 PM
No need to be protective, if anything shan patter is an upgrade on what usually gets said about me!

In all honesty it was a deflection tactic to take the spotlight off my witless repartee.

CathroMustStay
13-09-2019, 10:35 PM

Apologies for being political but this response is very tory/elitist in its nature and content.

matty_f
15-09-2019, 07:55 PM
For a bit of comic relief from yesterday’s game, we’re asking people to tell us:

What things you’d rather have than Hecky in charge at the weekend.

Best ones will be going in our podcast on Tuesday evening.

Eyrie
15-09-2019, 09:48 PM
I'd rather have my chest waxed without anaesthetic.

matty_f
15-09-2019, 10:13 PM
I'd rather have my chest waxed without anaesthetic.

Would rather attempt a post-match interview with Ian Cathro.

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Is an Amsterdam sex show involving Budge and Potter in his Budgie smugglers too far?

matty_f
15-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Is an Amsterdam sex show involving Budge and Potter in his Budgie smugglers too far?

Yeah. Not sure what part of it is the deciding factor, though.

We’ve had a surprisingly high number of responses on twitter to that question which involve Budge, which is a bit concerning. You are a weird bunch. :greengrin

The 90+2
15-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Yeah. Not sure what part of it is the deciding factor, though.

We’ve had a surprisingly high number of responses on twitter to that question which involve Budge, which is a bit concerning. You are a weird bunch. :greengrin

:greengrin

Can we change it to Harry Potters pumping Budgies daughter then? Least it rhymes 🤦*♂️

I’ll think of something alternative but it’s derby week now so the hate begins.

oldbutdim
15-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Ah!

Two 'straight men'.
I must have a listen and see if you called it.
:thumbsup:

matty_f
16-09-2019, 06:00 AM
Ah!

Two 'straight men'.
I must have a listen and see if you called it.
:thumbsup:

Very clever line, eh? :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2019, 07:39 AM
For a bit of comic relief from yesterday’s game, we’re asking people to tell us:

I'd rather be in the trap adjoining Potter's at Dens Park at about 1430 on 3/5/86.

matty_f
16-09-2019, 08:05 AM
I'd rather be in the trap adjoining Potter's at Dens Park at about 1430 on 3/5/86.

:faf:

Rather have a bag off with Stevie Fulton.

Smartie
16-09-2019, 05:39 PM

I'd rather see Craig Levein's nudie pictures of Anne Budge.

Did somebody say "long bangers"?

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Joyce McCourt Tam McCourts Mrs

We might get cuffed but at least out strips will be well coordinated pressed and clean any fairies shirking tackles or bottling it will have her to answer to at half time

She would be the right person to stick the proverbial rocket up their *****

Mrs M or John Yogi Hughes who I thought still looked the part at the Usher Hall and has never lost his Leith accent

Both would strike fear into the Hearts