PDA

View Full Version : Kilmarnock memories

bigwheel
10-09-2019, 09:12 PM
As we head back to league football at Rugby Park this weekend- do you guys have any favourite Rugby Park memories??

One that always stands out for me was Tam McManus late header to get us through in the cup ...in my mind Tam is soaring well above everyone to head the winner in...great support that day , felt like we filled the entire end..

10-09-2019, 09:17 PM
As we head back to league football at Rugby Park this weekend- do you guys have any favourite Rugby Park memories??

One that always stands out for me was Tam McManus late header to get us through in the cup ...in my mind Tam is soaring well above everyone to head the winner in...great support that day , felt like we filled the entire end..

Similar was the sparky hat trick game in 2013. Incredible support. Quit enjoy going to killie to be honest although we are crap about 80% of games there

Diclonius
10-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Been twice - terrible defeat near the end of Yogi's tenure in the League Cup and that amazing quarter final in 2013.

Onceinawhile
10-09-2019, 09:19 PM

That was some day. Don't remember much about the game apart from the winner was very late.

Remember rugby park being our last game of the relegation season and them playing we'll meet again. Think pat mcginlay scored in a 1-1 draw.

The other one that sticks out was a 2-2 draw, which I think was the game where boozy injured himself badly. Some ex killie player came out at half time and gave us some light hearted stick, he was then drowned out by what felt like a full stand singing for the next 10 minutes. Was grand following that mogga team at times.

Killiehibbie
10-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Similar was the sparky hat trick game in 2013. Incredible support. Quit enjoy going to killie to be honest although we are crap about 80% of games there

First game I thought of the place was bouncing.

0-3 when Clarke wasn't long there was good as they could've scored a few.

Smartie
10-09-2019, 09:28 PM
I've not been there for years.

The last time I remember going to Rugby Park was with my youngest brother who has hardly been to any games, ever.

It was some time around Christmas, Colin Nish was playing for them. He had an absolute stormer and scored the only goal in a 1-0 win for them. I remember stating that he was exactly what we were screaming out for at that time - and only a few weeks later he joined us.

On his day he could be outstanding but on too many other occasions he was more than a little bit frustrating.

Power
10-09-2019, 09:29 PM
When we win there it’s usually a memorable one.

Of recent times.

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/kilmarnock_0_hibernian_2_319288/index.shtml

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/kilmarnock-1-3-hibs-1-2139180

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22445395

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21563773

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41730535

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 03:35 AM
25/10/1997

Got there early with my mate.

Got chatting to a Steward behind the main stand.

He let us into the Killie Bar under the stand

Scarfs up the jooks

Great pies

Game not so good

1-2 defeat

Kevin Harper got sent off and Bjarni Larrasson came on to score a late consolation on his debut

Too little too late

Jones28
11-09-2019, 04:26 AM
The 3-0 win under Lennon. **** knows how we didn’t concede that night, think it was Clarke’s first game in charge at Killie.

Since452
11-09-2019, 05:36 AM
As another poster said the 2013 Scottish Cup QF was brilliant. Stand behind the goal rammed full of Hibs fans. Remember Griffiths being out on his feet but still chasing everything. Brilliant performance. Looked shattered when he was eventually subbed off.

lyonhibs
11-09-2019, 05:47 AM
My last game as a single man, 14th February 2009. Drew 1-1 with a deflected Riordan volley. The Monk and Hogg played silly buggers with the ball at the back, not once but twice in quick succession.
The latter time very nearly resulted in a goal for them and prompted me to unleash a volley of uncharacteristically coarse abuse that was caught on camera by my visiting Canadian friend, who was also - by the length of Easter Road - the most attractive person in the away stand.

That, and the "Homecoming" pies with haggis that were an absolute revelation.

DanishJohn
11-09-2019, 05:54 AM
First memory was in the early to mid 70's. Remember we were winning 1-0 (can't remember who scored) and they got a late headed equaliser
by a guy called Dereck McDicken?. The old Rugby Park was a magnificent ground with an awesome playing surface,and huge pitch. At the time better than ER IMO

Next time was on run to 91 LC final and leaving thinking maybe just maybe. Ayrshire was good for us that year.

CloudSquall
11-09-2019, 06:00 AM
I think I must have had about 5 or 6 trips there before seeing us win, it became known as my curse.

It's why the song "Joyful Kilmarnock Blues" by the Proclaimers is close to my heart..

Paisley Hibby
11-09-2019, 06:38 AM

One of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Wheat Hound
11-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Last 16 of the 1991 League Cup and a 3-2 victory. Hibs down to 10 men I think (cant recall who was sent off) but Keef Keef Keef saved the day.

we are hibs
11-09-2019, 06:48 AM
Beating them 4-2. A jorge claros masterclass. Some celebrations when griffiths put us 3-2 up

ben johnson
11-09-2019, 07:07 AM
That was some day. Don't remember much about the game apart from the winner was very late.

Remember rugby park being our last game of the relegation season and them playing we'll meet again. Think pat mcginlay scored in a 1-1 draw.

The other one that sticks out was a 2-2 draw, which I think was the game where boozy injured himself badly. Some ex killie player came out at half time and gave us some light hearted stick, he was then drowned out by what felt like a full stand singing for the next 10 minutes. Was grand following that mogga team at times.

The last game of the season through there 98 relegation
Last minute goal from Stevie Crawford to end 1.1
We were down before the game but Killie went into Europe under Williamson
Pat Nevin played that day for Killie and they had Gordon Marshall in goals
I remember singing We’ll meet again and we had a fair number through
It could only get worse if Hearts managed to beat the H**s in the Cup Final a few weeks later ☹️

Hibeesmad
11-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Roy O'Donovan scoring an absolute screamer.

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 07:11 AM
The Scottish Cup Quarters both amazing games. Worst game was losing 6-2 to them grand national day around 2002.

Leitherhibs
11-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Steven Thicot making his debut on the opening day of the season (I think) he played 45 mins and was taken off with an injury, I boldly predicted after having seen 45 mins of him play that he'd go on to be a Hibs legend, lol...

bigwheel
11-09-2019, 08:16 AM
I have to confess to saying to my mate, when Boozy went down injured down at Killie - that he wasn’t that bad - he should get up and carry on ....think he was out for about 8 months with a cruciate ligament injury !!!

bigwheel
11-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Roy O'Donovan scoring an absolute screamer.

Was that not also the game Tom Soares scored twice ?? Might be misremembering

Since452
11-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Last season. Possibly the worst performance from a Hibs team I've seen and I've seen a few. Floodlights going off and being gutted when they came back on.

eastterrace
11-09-2019, 08:41 AM
R

The other one that sticks out was a 2-2 draw, which I think was the game where boozy injured himself badly. Some ex killie player came out at half time and gave us some light hearted stick, he was then drowned out by what felt like a full stand singing for the next 10 minutes. Was grand following that mogga team at times. was at the 2-2 game sure it was around xmas time. Remember boozy getting done with a block tackle and you could see it was a bad one .think Gary O’Connor scored the 2nd goal a cracker into top corner. Also was this the game that zibby got sent off

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 08:47 AM
R was at the 2-2 game sure it was around xmas time. Remember boozy getting done with a block tackle and you could see it was a bad one .think Gary O’Connor scored the 2nd goal a cracker into top corner. Also was this the game that zibby got sent off

Some old hearts player equalised in injury time. Was just after new year. Think we played hearts at Tynie a week or so later.

dangermouse
11-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Last season. Possibly the worst performance from a Hibs team I've seen and I've seen a few. Floodlights going off and being gutted when they came back on.

I think the whole away end was praying for them to stay off. Shame they got fixed as we were absolutely rank that day despite being the bookies favourites to take all 3 points :confused:

ChooseLife
11-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Steven Thicot making his debut on the opening day of the season (I think) he played 45 mins and was taken off with an injury, I boldly predicted after having seen 45 mins of him play that he'd go on to be a Hibs legend, lol...

was his (friendly) debut not against Barcelona?

Hiber-nation
11-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Dylan Kerr getting dogs abuse from the Hibs fans at half time was hilarious. Drew 1-1 I think, Chris Hogg equaliser.

Boyle89
11-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Horsed 4-1 under calderwood. Got there late and we were already 1 down. Saw Goc score a beautiful goal then proceed to get hammered for the rest of the game. The mythical phil airey came on but was never seen again.

we are hibs
11-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Horsed 4-1 under calderwood. Got there late and we were already 1 down. Saw Goc score a beautiful goal then proceed to get hammered for the rest of the game. The mythical phil airey came on but was never seen again.

That was one of the most dreadful performances i can remember from a hibs side. Genuinely pathetic. Either sean o'hanlon or david stephens put in one of the worst performances i could remember from a centre back. Cant remember which one as i had wiped the game from memory until then.

Sure we lost 2-0 at tynie a week later. Griffiths hibs debut in his first spell. How calderwood survived that August ill never know.

BoomtownHibees
11-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Either sean o'hanlon or david stephens put in one of the worst performances i could remember from a centre back. Cant remember which one as i had wiped the game from memory until then.

Easily confused tbf

Pretty Boy
11-09-2019, 03:02 PM
A 2-0 defeat in the Scottish Cup at ER on a freezing cold day is one that always comes to mind when we play Kilmarnock. Jim Leighton had a nightmare that day.

Onceinawhile
11-09-2019, 03:24 PM
A 2-0 defeat in the Scottish Cup at ER on a freezing cold day is one that always comes to mind when we play Kilmarnock. Jim Leighton had a nightmare that day.

I was mascot that day:thumbsup:

Paul Wright double.

BILLYHIBS
11-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Bad day at the office for Jim Leighton must have forgot to put his contacts in that day both volleys from Wrighty came oot the floodlights with snow on them another Scottish Cup campaign ended all too soon

we are hibs
11-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Easily confused tbf

https://youtu.be/C-V7aBYJ1ac

Turns out it was Stephens. What a hibs side that was.

WestCoastHibby
11-09-2019, 09:06 PM
My memory is as a Hibby growing up near Ayr seeing George Best at Rugby park.
He still had the touches....

The 90+2
11-09-2019, 09:21 PM
https://youtu.be/C-V7aBYJ1ac

Turns out it was Stephens. What a hibs side that was.

I remember (I think) going to watch the hibs v Falkirk in ore season that year and it looked worse than forthbank this year. Weds night I’m sure.

Back to Killie memories, Boyd scored a peach of a free kick first game of the season against us to win 1-0 under Mowbray when we finished third.

First memory of Killie was going to watch my uncle play for medowbank against them in the Scottish in about 1992.

green with envy
13-09-2019, 09:52 AM
I have really fond memories from my first time at the old Rugby Park. It was a midweek game October '76. I had just turned 14, on my tod and decided to jump on a supporters bus from the Hibs club. The game ended 1-1 and I won the sweep due to that ex hun Gordon Smith scoring the opener only for Des Bremner to score a late equaliser. I've been many times since but this one sticks out as my fave from the old ground. Tom Mcmanus' winner in the SC is my fave from the redeveloped RP.

JeMeSouviens
13-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Dylan Kerr getting dogs abuse from the Hibs fans at half time was hilarious. Drew 1-1 I think, Chris Hogg equaliser.

Yes, that was funny. "Who are ya?" I mean, literally, who the **** is he? :greengrin

Think it was 2-2. We went 2-1 up through Big Gaz but threw it away as per. :rolleyes:

Smartie
13-09-2019, 12:14 PM
What was the song they used to play through there when they scored? Some American marching song or something?

I remember it sounding like it blared out really loud, it may have had an animation on their screens that went along with it. It fair rubbed salt in the wounds when you'd travelled a fair distance to get there and Hibs had decided to be rubbish that day (as I seem to remember being the case every time I've been there.)

Onceinawhile
13-09-2019, 01:09 PM
What was the song they used to play through there when they scored? Some American marching song or something?

I remember it sounding like it blared out really loud, it may have had an animation on their screens that went along with it. It fair rubbed salt in the wounds when you'd travelled a fair distance to get there and Hibs had decided to be rubbish that day (as I seem to remember being the case every time I've been there.)

Halls of Montezumah (sp).

Cracking tune. They were big on ring of fire for a bit as well.

If only their stand had some leg room.

Bristolhibby
13-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Boxing Day 2007 was the last time I went. Bush scored for them and IIRC a Dean Shiels consolation penalty in garbage time to make it 2-1 to them.

Shocking leg room in the stand.

Cracking pies, had two steak pies I think.

J

ahibby
13-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Latapy corner wee Tam soares pirates goal. Downside Larrson gets injured and missed a few games.

JohnMcM
13-09-2019, 09:54 PM
1967 or 1968, at home with a smaller than normal crowd (I think). Most fans were in the old west or with us in the cow shed, with a smattering over the old open east.

Final score was 3-3.

Colin Stein who had been getting pelters form the older guys in the west for a long time - (but who had recently started scoring and was getting noticed by other teams), scored a hat-trick.

As clear as day I remember him scoring his third, going over to the bottom right of the west and saying something to the group of auld guys, and we saw two of them raise their Hibs bunnets to him.

:flag: