PDA

View Full Version : Michael O’Neil

lord bunberry
09-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Break the bank and get this guy in as our manager. He’s got a team from a country a fraction of the size of Scotland competing at international level. I’m watching their game against Germany now and they’re doing something I’ve not seen Scotland do for years, they’re having a right good go and they’ve got an absolutely fanatical crowd behind them. Our problems don’t start with the manager, but replacing that dour ******* with a guy that knows how to win games at that level would be a start.
The fact that he was my first hibs legend has nothing to do with my post, but what a class player he was.:greengrin

DetroitHibs
10-09-2019, 01:17 AM
Hibs don’t do “Breaking the Bank”

Hibbyradge
10-09-2019, 02:08 AM

Only a few idiotic clubs have tried.

lord bunberry
10-09-2019, 04:53 AM
I wasn’t thinking about hibs, I was thinking more about Scotland.

southsider
10-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Did anyone see the Kosovo coach on TV this morning ? He was wonderful, such passion.

Cataplana
10-09-2019, 06:58 AM
I wasn’t thinking about hibs, I was thinking more about Scotland.

Might be fair to give Steve Clarke more time than two games, one against Russia and the other against Belgium. 😀

Hibernian Verse
10-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Did anyone see the Kosovo coach on TV this morning ? He was wonderful, such passion.

Yup, if I was Kamberi I'd be trying to get into that side!

Jones28
10-09-2019, 07:18 AM
The SFA made an arse of it when they didn’t offer him whatever he wanted before the brought Mcleish in.

10-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Break the bank and get this guy in as our manager. He’s got a team from a country a fraction of the size of Scotland competing at international level. I’m watching their game against Germany now and they’re doing something I’ve not seen Scotland do for years, they’re having a right good go and they’ve got an absolutely fanatical crowd behind them. Our problems don’t start with the manager, but replacing that dour ******* with a guy that knows how to win games at that level would be a start.
The fact that he was my first hibs legend has nothing to do with my post, but what a class player he was.:greengrin

O'Neill had 1 win in his 1st 18 matches in charge of N. Ireland so if it had been up to you he'd have never got anywhere near where he is now. If anything O'Neill is the best example of why Clarke should be given more time instead of calling for him to be sacked already.

G B Young
10-09-2019, 07:44 AM
Might be fair to give Steve Clarke more time than two games, one against Russia and the other against Belgium. 😀

Has he not had four games?

Either way, as I've said on the match thread it doesn't matter who the manager is when he's restricted to working with such a medicore player pool.

WHAM
10-09-2019, 07:50 AM

I was saying the exact same thing last night after turning over to the Northern Ireland game. I couldn’t bring myself to watch anymore of Scotland.

Northern Ireland play like Scotland did in 2007 against France & Italy. They are compact, difficult to break down, fight for every ball and are 100% committed to the cause. Plus they still manage to break forward at speed and create chances.

Admittedly Belgium are a quality side. But Scotland just look soft as sh*te. We’ve always traditionally been hard to beat, especially at home, but now we just surrender games with criminal defending.

I was looking at the Scotland line-up when we beat France in Paris. No world class players in the Scotland team that night but they all played like a unit (plus we rode our luck a bit at Times and obviously McFadden’s goal). But the big glaring difference though was the presence of David Weir at the back. A quality experienced defender. Crying out for one at present.

I thought we started very well last night and against Russia. But until we find quality centre halves from somewhere then we ain’t going anywhere.

The 90+2
10-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Either way, as I've said on the match thread it doesn't matter who the manager is when he's restricted to working with such a medicore player pool.

We have a better player pool than NI. Position for position much better. That huddy Washington gets a game ffs.

calumhibee1
10-09-2019, 07:52 AM

We do have some half decent players though. The likes of McGinn, McGregor, Forrest, Fraser, Robertson, Tierney would all walk into the teams of a lot of the pot 2 teams and probably nearly all the pot 3 teams. I think our problems lie with the players that compliment them who are numerous levels beneath them. The back 4 other than Robertson are absolutely atrocious. And even then, Robertson for Scotland hasn’t been much better.

As 90+2 said, NI had Washington and McGinn starting and a good amount of players from the English Championship. We’ve got Liverpool and Arsenal full backs, Man Utd midfielder, another wanted by Man Utd apparently and Fraser who will probably also end up at a club of a similar stature. Throw in the likes of McGregor and Forrest who could probably play EPL no problem and we should be doing so much better.

Diclonius
10-09-2019, 07:52 AM
We'll give him a few games and if he loses any we'll be calling for his head.

The manager is and has never been the problem at Scotland.

Wembley67
10-09-2019, 07:53 AM
We have a better player pool than NI. Position for position much better. That huddy Washington gets a game ffs.

Exactly. Give Clarke time, like lot's of time, he is an excellent manager who will do a good job..bloody Scottish footy fans are a pain in the backside somtimes :greengrin

G B Young
10-09-2019, 07:59 AM
I was saying the exact same thing last night after turning over to the Northern Ireland game. I couldn’t bring myself to watch anymore of Scotland.

Northern Ireland play like Scotland did in 2007 against France & Italy. They are compact, difficult to break down, fight for every ball and are 100% committed to the cause. Plus they still manage to break forward at speed and create chances.

Admittedly Belgium are a quality side. But Scotland just look soft as sh*te. We’ve always traditionally been hard to beat, especially at home, but now we just surrender games with criminal defending.

I was looking at the Scotland line-up when we beat France in Paris. No world class players in the Scotland team that night but they all played like a unit (plus we rode our luck a bit at Times and obviously McFadden’s goal). But the big glaring difference though was the presence of David Weir at the back. A quality experienced defender. Crying out for one at present.

I thought we started very well last night and against Russia. But until we find quality centre halves from somewhere then we ain’t going anywhere.

But even the team that beat France still failed to qualify for anything.

Have we really always been traditionally hard to beat? The fact we haven't reached a major finals for nearly 22 years suggests otherwise.

dangermouse
10-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Too true. An excellent example of the old adage "You can only p*ss with the c*ck you've got"

ancient hibee
10-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Scotland are like Hibs.No settled team and too much chopping and changing.You’re better with a team of mediocre players who actually know what their fellow players are going to do than one with three or four really good players but nobody knowing who is going to mark who can be relied on to make a tackle,who will make a pass and run on for a return etc.

Hibeesmad
12-09-2019, 05:01 AM
Scotland are like Hibs.No settled team and too much chopping and changing.You’re better with a team of mediocre players who actually know what their fellow players are going to do than one with three or four really good players but nobody knowing who is going to mark who can be relied on to make a tackle,who will make a pass and run on for a return etc.

That comes to down to the organisation and coaching from the staff, Clarke has proved he can organise teams and coach players to enhance their ability. I think most of the downfall comes from the heart of the players, can they really be bothered.

Iain G
12-09-2019, 05:12 AM
We'll give him a few games and if he loses any we'll be calling for his head.

The manager is and has never been the problem at Scotland.

Apart from Levein and McLeish 😁

Clarence
12-09-2019, 06:25 AM

True. Iceland have been very successful with a tiny pool of players because they are organised and there aren’t any Diva’s (Bjorks) in the side.

wookie70
12-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Somebody on the radio yesterday said he won 1 from his first 18 games. This place would want him sacked within a month of his appointment.

FilipinoHibs
12-09-2019, 10:58 AM
O'Neill had 1 win in his 1st 18 matches in charge of N. Ireland so if it had been up to you he'd have never got anywhere near where he is now. If anything O'Neill is the best example of why Clarke should be given more time instead of calling for him to be sacked already.

Or Hecky?

HoboHarry
12-09-2019, 07:33 PM
True. Iceland have been very successful with a tiny pool of players because they are organised and there aren’t any Diva’s (Bjorks) in the side.
Oh I always liked Bjork - more than enough of a nutter to have a whale of a time with.......

1875Sean
12-09-2019, 07:54 PM
He not on a million a year? Come on be realistic! Afraid we had our chance to get O’Neil but we went for Fenlon

MikeyS
12-09-2019, 08:00 PM
He not on a million a year? Come on be realistic! Afraid we had our chance to get O’Neil but we went for Fenlon

Think the OP was about getting him for Scotland mate.