PDA

View Full Version : Herald article on what’s going wrong

The 90+2
05-09-2019, 12:39 PM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17883242.gone-wrong-hibernian-season/

Very interesting but very grim.

05-09-2019, 12:40 PM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17883242.gone-wrong-hibernian-season/ (https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17883242.gone-wrong-hibernian-season/)

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Hard to argue with that.

Killiehibbie
05-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Such a small sample will be badly skewed by conceding 6 in one game. 6 games was considered the minimum for prediction methods.

theonlywayisup
05-09-2019, 01:03 PM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17883242.gone-wrong-hibernian-season/

Very interesting but very grim.

Well written article that highlights what many have been saying for a while that our midfield is the main problem area within our team. A fact that's been clear since the start of the season, so I'm struggling to understand why our manager and coaching staff can't see it.

It also highlights the lack of protection the midfield offer the defence, especially the full backs.

The article also points out that "team are still making roughly the same amount of quality goalscoring opportunities", though I put that down to the return of Scott Allan.

All the above should not be a surprise - we've had our best spell in ages with a midfield with characters like McGinn, Allan, McGeough, Fyvie, Bartley etc in it. Our midfield is considerably weaker, so it's putting a strain on the rest of the team.

the tornadoe
05-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Pretty much what the majority of supporters have been saying. ... We desperately need a DM in the team asap !

wookie70
05-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Did Omeonga, Milligan and Bartley play that often together Bartley and Omeonga never even played half the games over the course of the season added together. Bartley around 7 games and Omeonga 11(games in multiples of 90 mins rather than appearances)

I'm not doubting our midfield is a big part of the problem but we wouldn't be playing the three players from last season in the same team and have bought Vela and Neeps so it could be argued we may have replaced the combative element.

Vela's stats match up pretty well to Bartmans and he is much more mobile and better on the ball. He has already scored more goals than Bartman, Milligan and Omeonga in all their appearances for the club in total

JimBHibees
05-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Did Omeonga, Milligan and Bartley play that often together Bartley and Omeonga never even played half the games over the course of the season added together. Bartley around 7 games and Omeonga 11(games in multiples of 90 mins rather than appearances)

I'm not doubting our midfield is a big part of the problem but we wouldn't be playing the three players from last season in the same team and have bought Vela and Neeps so it could be argued we may have replaced the combative element.

Vela's stats match up pretty well to Bartmans and he is much more mobile and better on the ball. He has already scored more goals than Bartman, Milligan and Omeonga in all their appearances for the club in total

Agree with that which makes it even more surprising that a midfield of Horgan Mallan Slivka Allan and Middleton was chosen last Saturday and no Vela, total madness particularly after the capitulation against Saints the week before.

Northernhibee
05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
"allowed...Omeonga to leave".

He was on a loan.

A mixture of stating the obvious and starting complete crap, that article IMO.

The 90+2
05-09-2019, 02:21 PM
"allowed...Omeonga to leave".

He was on a loan.

A mixture of stating the obvious and starting complete crap, that article IMO.

You mean one mistake?

Rumble de Thump
05-09-2019, 02:28 PM
The article doesn't mention us having a player sent off against Sevco, the latest midfielder we've signed, us being unable to select a settled defence due to a number of injuries (and various other things). Too selective to be of any use really. Still, interesting stats.

Saint Hibee
05-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Vela might turn out okay, but as the article points out, he can’t take all the defensive responsibilities in the middle of the park on his own. Hopefully Hallberg is part of the answer.

Brightside
05-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Article points out the obvious that our midfield aren't defending well. :confused:

scooby
05-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Anyone who's been to our games this season can see exactly what's wrong, even my 10 year old daughter can tell me what's wrong at games.

The problem is that our clown of a manager is clearly watching something else entirely.

Until the board grow some balls nothing will change.

nonshinyfinish
05-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Seems the analysis is pretty much accurate (if not earth-shattering), but that second graphic ("Defensive team actions") is a genuinely bizarre way to present that data.

Hibee Mac
05-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Seems the analysis is pretty much accurate (if not earth-shattering), but that second graphic ("Defensive team actions") is a genuinely bizarre way to present that data.

Agreed, I still have no idea what's trying to be shown there

Keith_M
05-09-2019, 06:14 PM
But we've won more games than we've lost this season, five in total, so we can't be that bad.

We've also only played four games so far, so it's too early to judge.

Those two statements are actually contradictory, but that doesn't stop some folk.

hibby rae
05-09-2019, 06:22 PM
The Terrace podcast from last week discusses the Hibs squad and I pretty much agreed with everything Craig Fowler said.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2019, 06:34 PM
The article doesn't mention us having a player sent off against Sevco, the latest midfielder we've signed, us being unable to select a settled defence due to a number of injuries (and various other things). Too selective to be of any use really. Still, interesting stats.

There are certainly mitigating circumstances for Hecky, but every club which is struggling will have similar issues. Overall the performances and results this season (and the end of last) are not good enough and wee need to see improvement quickly. Only results can save him.

ahibby
05-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Well said that man. In all my years on this site yours is the post i relate to most.

Is It On....
05-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Article points out the obvious that our midfield aren't defending well. :confused:

I don't think you can understate the importance of McNulty not being in the team this season.

SquashedFrogg
05-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Anyone who's been to our games this season can see exactly what's wrong, even my 10 year old daughter can tell me what's wrong at games.

The problem is that our clown of a manager is clearly watching something else entirely.

Until the board grow some balls nothing will change.

What's wrong? What would you do differently? Genuinely interested.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Absolutely no mention of the lack of a settled defence in that article.

Yes, midfield is a problem, but I’d suggest our goals against column is more impacted by all of our defenders being out injured at one point or another.

Having to constantly field a side made up of a defensive unit that haven’t played together before is hurting us bad.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2019, 07:01 PM
What's wrong? What would you do differently? Genuinely interested.

1, No pace at all in the defence
2, No cover from midfield for the defence. Teams are cutting right through us.
3, The new signings look very ordinary
4, Seems like there is no pattern of play. Does anyone know what the tactics are?

A great deal to work on.

SquashedFrogg
05-09-2019, 07:04 PM
1, No pace at all in the defence
2, No cover from midfield for the defence. Teams are cutting right through us.
3, The new signings look very ordinary
4, Seems like there is no pattern of play. Does anyone know what the tactics are?

A great deal to work on.

Not necessarily disagreeing with some of your points. Others are very subjective.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Not necessarily disagreeing with some of your points. Others are very subjective.

Yes, it's just my opinion of the team right now. There are lots of areas that need improvement.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Yes, it's just my opinion of the team right now. There are lots of areas that need improvement.

I don't think many people who have attended any of our games so far this season could possibly disagree.

We are very poor at the moment.