Greenbeard
03-09-2019, 03:08 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-49509412

https://ilyailford.com/portfolio/the-walk/

Bright_Hibee
03-09-2019, 03:40 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-49509412

https://ilyailford.com/portfolio/the-walk/

Love our community and how multicultural it is. Makes me miss Leith so much. Can't wait to come back.

wookie70
03-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Thanks for making me aware of this. Great project and some very good shots. Destined to be a tog with a surname like Ilford

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Very bohemian, as it should be. The same photographer went along Gorgie Road and has hundreds of photos of Yams in kipper ties, M & S slacks, twin set and pearls (men and women), unwashed Hearts tracksuits.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Got to love the way hipsters reinvent areas in their own image. To me "Leith Walk" (it only starts at Pilrig Street) has deteriorated rapidly in the last five years.

As far as I can see, the only pub approaching "traditional" is the Windsor. Likewise the greasy spoons are disappearing to be replaced by "artisan" cafes selling stuff at twice the price.

There used to be a cracking selection of second hand shops on the walk, again these have gone. All in all, gentrification might be good for property prices, but that excludes the type of people who really made it a vibrant place, in the past.

All you are left with is a sterile, ersatz version of the former working class area of any city in Europe.

Leaving on a positive note though, browsing through this site is a pleasure.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk

Marvellous
04-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Got to love the way hipsters reinvent areas in their own image. To me "Leith Walk" (it only starts at Pilrig Street) has deteriorated rapidly in the last five years.

As far as I can see, the only pub approaching "traditional" is the Windsor. Likewise the greasy spoons are disappearing to be replaced by "artisan" cafes selling stuff at twice the price.

There used to be a cracking selection of second hand shops on the walk, again these have gone. All in all, gentrification might be good for property prices, but that excludes the type of people who really made it a vibrant place, in the past.

All you are left with is a sterile, ersatz version of the former working class area of any city in Europe.

Leith Walk/Elm Row is one of my favourite places in the city, I can't think of any other areas in Edinburgh with such a mixture of people, it's anything but sterile.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Leith Walk/Elm Row is one of my favourite places in the city, I can't think of any other areas in Edinburgh with such a mixture of people, it's anything but sterile.

And that depends on how you define sterile, doesn't it? I was talking from my own perspective. It can never be anything other than subjective opinion, and there is no point in arguing about it.

Out of interest, what period are you basing your observations on. My view was based on the changes that have happened in the area in recent times.

Torto7
04-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Very good post.

I can exist in todays inner cities and enjoy what they have to offer but I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that mourned the Leiths of the world loosing their edge and heritage.

Pre the last twenty years or so it didn't need a bunch of trendy hipsters to have character. Character oozed out of every street in the place.

Marvellous
04-09-2019, 02:22 PM
And that depends on how you define sterile, doesn't it? I was talking from my own perspective. It can never be anything other than subjective opinion, and there is no point in arguing about it.

Out of interest, what period are you basing your observations on. My view was based on the changes that have happened in the area in recent times.

I'm not sure what you mean by sterile but it doesn't sound a word that can fairly be used to describe Leith Walk. It's as diverse and interesting as anywhere in the city.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Very good post.

I can exist in todays inner cities and enjoy what they have to offer but I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that mourned the Leiths of the world loosing their edge and heritage.

Pre the last twenty years or so it didn't need a bunch of trendy hipsters to have character. Character oozed out of every street in the place.

The writing was on the wall when a Starbucks arrived. From that point the area's fate was sealed. What has been breathtaking for me is how quickly it has happened.

Peevemor
04-09-2019, 02:27 PM

I was in Robbie's a couple of weeks ago and it was still fairly traditional then.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 02:29 PM
I was in Robbie's a couple of weeks ago and it was still fairly traditional then.

Yes, I had forgotten about Robbie's - and part of its success in surviving is that it has always been a bit bohemian. There is also The Central.

I'm not sure what you mean by sterile but it doesn't sound a word that can fairly be used to describe Leith Walk. It's as diverse and interesting as anywhere in the city.

I think the crux of this argument is that we define it differently. I did give a couple of examples of the changes that I don't like in my opening post though.

Different people like different things, it's not an offence yet.

Mantis Toboggan
04-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Yes, I had forgotten about Robbie's - and part of its success in surviving is that it has always been a bit bohemian. There is also The Central.

I think the crux of this argument is that we define it differently. I did give a couple of examples of the changes that I don't like in my opening post though.

Different people like different things, it's not an offence yet.

Dont think anyone is suggesting it is an offence.
Sterile has a fairly clear meaning and I would also have to disagree that it can apply to Leith Walk. There are new places opening up constantly and are not all of the type that you described.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Dont think anyone is suggesting it is an offence.
Sterile has a fairly clear meaning and I would also have to disagree that it can apply to Leith Walk. There are new places opening up constantly and are not all of the type that you described.

It doesn't have a very clear meaning at all, does it? Otherwise we wouldn't have such divergent views.

Each to their own, I personally am disappointed about the extent of change on Leith Walk. For others it is progress.

I might be overly pessimistic though, what sort of places are you talking about that are more in keeping with the character of the area 10 years ago, for example?

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Imagine about 10 or 15 years ago if you had told folk that by 2019 there would be bars in the vicinity of Duke Street / foot of Leith charging upwards of a fiver a pint, you'd have been laughed at. Probably not a Main Forum thread though.

Paloschi
04-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Time has moved on. What Leith is now is just as 'Leith' as Leith was then. I am proud to be from Leith and love how it is evolving. It still has endless character. I sort of get where you are coming from about hipsters, but it is just an attractive area. Better that than being left in the past like Gorgie. Dalry is great nowadays though, very decent scran.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Time has moved on. What Leith is now is just as 'Leith' as Leith was then. I am proud to be from Leith and love how it is evolving. It still has endless character. I sort of get where you are coming from about hipsters, but it is just an attractive area. Better that than being left in the past like Gorgie. Dalry is great nowadays though, very decent scran.

I wouldn't try to halt progress, but I do miss some of what has gone. Easter Road and Abbeyhill are next in line for gentrification.

Likewise, I have no axe to grind with people who move into the area, other than the fact a lot of them seem to think it is only interesting because they are there.

Things like calling the upper half of the walk "Leith" is another thing that jars. In fact I know out of towners that even say the Playhouse is in Leith

It was more exciting to me when it had pubs that opened at 5 am and there was actually real things and real people in the area. Things like the Royal Mail, or places like Fairbairns and Polittis in Albert Street.

Global Hibby
04-09-2019, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't try to halt progress, but I do miss some of what has gone. Easter Road and Abbeyhill are next in line for gentrification.

Likewise, I have no axe to grind with people who move into the area, other than the fact a lot of them seem to think it is only interesting because they are there.

Things like calling the upper half of the walk "Leith" is another thing that jars. In fact I know out of towners that even say the Playhouse is in Leith

It was more exciting to me when it had pubs that opened at 5 am and there was actually real things and real people in the area. Things like the Royal Mail, or places like Fairbairns and Polittis in Albert Street.

Pilrig church and the Boundary bar opposite was always the starting point of Leith. Love telling people the story of that bar at closing time. How times have changed for the Playhouse to be starting point. Reminds me of my childhood just down from Balfour Street and all the wonderful caring people. What a community we had back in the past and no need to ever lock your door either. Fab photos and thanks for sharing !

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Pilrig church and the Boundary bar opposite was always the starting point of Leith. Love telling people the story of that bar at closing time. How times have changed for the Playhouse to be starting point. Reminds me of my childhood just down from Balfour Street and all the wonderful caring people. What a community we had back in the past and no need to ever lock your door either. Fab photos and thanks for sharing !

Pleasure.

cookin_on_gaz
04-09-2019, 09:18 PM
I stay out in Carrick Knowe and been working out at Ocean Terminal lately. The bus journey there takes forever but is an amazing way to see how much the culture of the town changes as you travel from the west of the city down to Leith.

The trudgery and bleakness as it journeys through Stenhouse and along the Western approach is stark contrast to the biscuit tin tourist trap that's is Princes Street. Once it passes the Playhouse, however, the variety in cultures, races, sights and sounds is second to none.

The only complaint I have is the number of boarded up shops but hopefully that is something that will change in the future.

Those pictures are fantastic and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Imagine about 10 or 15 years ago if you had told folk that by 2019 there would be bars in the vicinity of Duke Street / foot of Leith charging upwards of a fiver a pint, you'd have been laughed at. Probably not a Main Forum thread though.

True. Nae wonder pubs are struggling to survive, given supermarket prices are a fraction of that.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-09-2019, 09:33 PM
True. Nae wonder pubs are struggling to survive, given supermarket prices are a fraction of that.

I hear what you're saying, although I regard myself as landing in the middle of both extremes as I detest drinking in the house but, have nae interest in paying some of the silly prices charged for "Craft beer".

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2019, 09:36 PM
I hear what you're saying, although I regard myself as landing in the middle of both extremes as I detest drinking in the house but, have nae interest in paying some of the silly prices charged for "Craft beer".

I will swally in the hoose when it's four bottles of Guinness milk stout for six quid at Tesco :greengrin

Barman Stanton
05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
I also miss the traditional pubs, my local closed last year. But at the end of the day, if more people used the traditional pubs then they would not be forced to close.

InchHibby
05-09-2019, 07:50 AM
Loved Leith when I was a kid, Saturday morning at the Salon for the cowboy film fix, then gallop down Leith Walk to Great Junction Street on the pretend horse, catch the No 22 out to Pilton, back in the afternoon to watch the Hibees, those were the days.

HibsGW
05-09-2019, 08:43 AM

I really like the way you worded this post, basically exactly the way I see it although I wouldn’t have worded it as well. The option is that Leith progresses with the times and remains the vibrant and entertaining area that it is, or it keeps everything the exact same and we’re left with Gorgie 2.0. What reason does anybody ever even have to be in Gorgie? Except the locals who have their one pub which they’ve went to for 30 years.

southfieldhibby
05-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Aye, same with Alhambra, The Spey and possibly even The Harp...

Paloschi
05-09-2019, 09:47 AM
I really like the way you worded this post, basically exactly the way I see it although I wouldn’t have worded it as well. The option is that Leith progresses with the times and remains the vibrant and entertaining area that it is, or it keeps everything the exact same and we’re left with Gorgie 2.0. What reason does anybody ever even have to be in Gorgie? Except the locals who have their one pub which they’ve went to for 30 years.

Thanks. It's unique in Edinburgh as it changes but stays the same if that makes sense. Morningside and Stockbridge stay as they are and other areas do too. The fact is, you could have a really good and varied day out in Leith now.

dangermouse
06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
I also miss the traditional pubs, my local closed last year. But at the end of the day, if more people used the traditional pubs then they would not be forced to close.

My son's band played a gig in Old Dr Bell's Baths the other week. Afterwards I met up with some mates in Wilkies over the road. We left there around 9:30PM as we were the only people there and that was a Friday night. No wonder pubs are going to the wall.

heretoday
06-09-2019, 02:39 PM
My son's band played a gig in Old Dr Bell's Baths the other week. Afterwards I met up with some mates in Wilkies over the road. We left there around 9:30PM as we were the only people there and that was a Friday night. No wonder pubs are going to the wall.

I learned to swim in those baths many years ago. Are they no longer there?

lord bunberry
06-09-2019, 03:19 PM
I noticed a picture of big stav outside the Alhambra.

HappyAsHellas
06-09-2019, 03:24 PM
We drank in Robbie's for years back in the day, and would pop in to several other establishments with mates every now and again. We've all moved out of Leith since then and that's how it changes. The people make it what it is and I still enjoy seeing all the old haunts when going to Easter Road nowadays. The killing of so many pubs with the smoking ban was a bigger catalyst than many people realised.