PDA

View Full Version : If we think it's bad now, how about the early eighties?

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 08:53 PM
A period in Hibs' history which my dad doesn't like to talk about. Between the lengthy tenure of Eddie Turnbull (ended 1980) and Alex Miller (began 1986) was Willie Ormond, Berie Auld, Saint Pat and John Blackley. Before my time, but how bad a period was it? Easter Road was a state and the team, erm, 'inconsistent' relegated in 1980 but immediately promoted. The club's financial position was turning disastrous. The New Firm were enjoying the greatest days as the Edinburgh clubs struggled, whilst in other news, Maggie was closing down the country. Not the happiest of times.

What are you memories of that time?

One Day Soon
02-09-2019, 08:56 PM
A period in Hibs' history which my dad doesn't like to talk about. Between the lengthy tenure of Eddie Turnbull (ended 1980) and Alex Miller (began 1986) was Willie Ormond, Berie Auld, Saint Pat and John Blackley. Before my time, but how bad a period was it? Easter Road was a state and the team, erm, 'inconsistent' relegated in 1980 but immediately promoted. The club's financial position was turning disastrous. The New Firm were enjoying the greatest days as the Edinburgh clubs struggled, whilst in other news, Maggie was closing down the country. Not the happiest of times.

Heckingbottom out.

bigwheel
02-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Oh yes, that was very poor...john McGachie or Mark Caughey anyone??

Frazerbob
02-09-2019, 08:57 PM
That’s when I fell in love with club. Proper old school stadiums (falling apart), radge fans and players who maybe didn’t have the ability of today’s but they cared. Awful derby record, Aberdeen & Dundee Utd dominating and my first cup final (gubbed). Great memories 😂

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Heckingbottom out.

:hilarious

Hiber-nation
02-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Hoofball in front of 3,500 fans... Stuart Turnbull booting the ball over his head without ever even attempting to take a touch...an 18 stone Peter Welsh in midfield...I do remember a rare win at Ibrox and of course Durie and Cowan's incredible scoring run in the first half of 1984-85, helping us to a League Cup final. It wasn't all bad!

Smartie
02-09-2019, 09:05 PM
We could do with signing a modern day George Best to lighten the mood a bit, even if it just made the disastrous slide a bit more entertaining.

Speedway
02-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Heckingbottom out.

That was funny.

Roxyhibee
02-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Strangely enough me and mates were talking about Hibs in the early 80’s last night, as a guy from my street’s name came up who incredibly got a game for Hibs then and he wasn’t even close to being the best player in our wee fitba gang playing in the fields etc, (although he was still about 100 times better than me.!) When I saw he’d signed I realised the glory Tornadoes days were a long long thing of the past and we were in deep poo. And we were.

SideBurns
02-09-2019, 09:15 PM

Crowds were largely brutal (apart from games v Hearts, Huns, Celtic); the football was just as bad. The upside was we brought through plenty youngsters - Kano, Mickey Weir, Eddie May, Brian Rice, Johnny Collins and Geebsie all made their debuts. There were fleeting moments of excitement - the runs to the League Cup final of 85 and Scottish Cup semi of 86 were fantastic.

But it was generally a tough shift, and we toiled against a Hearts side who were hard to beat and had a great forward line of Robbo, Colquhoun & Clark. They deserved to win that double in 86 😁

Fergos
02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Sure we were averaging about 5-6k during some of those years, Man Utd Friendly, a great white away top with green shorts, Dury, Cowan, Joe McBride Jrs goal at Tynie, and a couple of classic games versus Celtic are my better memories of a bleaker time.

GGTTH

Glory Lurker
02-09-2019, 09:17 PM
We were brutal. Succession of brilliant strips, though.

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Aye, weren't attedances our lowest ever in that period?

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Hoofball in front of 3,500 fans... Stuart Turnbull booting the ball over his head without ever even attempting to take a touch...an 18 stone Peter Welsh in midfield...I do remember a rare win at Ibrox and of course Durie and Cowan's incredible scoring run in the first half of 1984-85, helping us to a League Cup final. It wasn't all bad!
:faf:

Great days indeed.

Roxyhibee
02-09-2019, 09:24 PM

The early 80’s were a lot worse than the mid 80’s, which were pretty bad.

wallpaperman
02-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Great thread.

The pre Alex Miller period was where I cut my teeth, every home game with my Dad, and a lot away as well.

We were mostly rubbish for sure, but I still loved it. Thank god forums weren’t around then.

Probably why I can’t get overworked by the blip we are having at the moment.

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Great thread.

The pre Alex Miller period was where I cut my teeth, every home game with my Dad, and a lot away as well.

We were mostly rubbish for sure, but I still loved it. Thank god forums weren’t around then.

Probably why I can’t get overworked by the blip we are having at the moment.

Yes, perspective is important. No doubt we are struggling on the pitch just now, but the club's overall situation is infinitely better than was for a long time. We have a superb stadium and training facility, a healthy financial situation and good crowds. Form has its ups and downs, but we have a very solid basis to work from. Once we get back to winning ways, we are capable of pushing on.

Lago
02-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Funny you should post this as I was thinking back over my 45 years of supporting Hibs. Obviously the early years of the Tornadoes were great, but in truth for many years after that it was mediocrity, even Pat & Sloop couldn't really put a winning team out. Then Alex Miller, he did win league cup, Jim Duffy, Bobby Williamson, a lift with John Collins cup win. McLeish & Mowbory exciting times, then more gloom with Calderwood, Fenlon & Butcher. Stubbs got the holy grail of Scottish cup win, Lennon promotion & Europe. Now more gloom.
I would have to be honest and say there have been more lows than highs with attendances of 8000 to 9000 but you always lived in hope. Now at my advancing years I don't have the same involvement as in past years having decided to stop attending ER & just watch the games on TV, you do feel more recorded from it all & perhaps a bit more objective. But I loved every game I saw Hibs play even the ones they lost.
Happy days great memories of time & people, some now longer with me.

G B Young
02-09-2019, 10:47 PM
It was a bleak time for a club which just a few years earlier had been rubbing shoulders with some of the top European sides. What I recall being especially dejected and frustrated about was how far ahead of us Aberdeen and Dundee United were. I remember a rare moment of joy when we beat Aberdeen at ER not long after they'd won the Cup Winners Cup (a 2-1 come from behind win with, I think, Willie Irvine scoring both) but it only served to underline how far we'd fallen behind them that we greeted such a win with genuine euphoria.

It was especially sad to see a pair of legends like Stanton and Blackley in charge at a time when resources were so sparse. Pat was probably a bit too nice as a boss, while Blackley tried to model himself on Turnbull and (to be fair) did oversee some good cup runs.

Crowds, as others have said, were dismal for most games bar the derbies and the OF. I definitely recall attendances of less than 4k.

Mixu62
02-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Yes we were poor, but we were also POOR! The money had gone, we were relying on journey-men and kids to keep us up every year. We weren't even at the start of the re-building programme, we couldn't have afforded the plans! The reason (IMO) that people are so sick of it now is that we were told the re-building was done with and the team would be invested in (after 20+ years of building works), the debt was gone so we had another 500k per year to play with, record season ticket sales and the McGinn money, yet we're still sh**e. Something just doesn't add up. Expectations are higher now, but is it so wrong that they are?

Hibernia&Alba
02-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Yes we were poor, but we were also POOR! The money had gone, we were relying on journey-men and kids to keep us up every year. We weren't even at the start of the re-building programme, we couldn't have afforded the plans! The reason (IMO) that people are so sick of it now is that we were told the re-building was done with and the team would be invested in (after 20+ years of building works), the debt was gone so we had another 500k per year to play with, record season ticket sales and the McGinn money, yet we're still sh**e. Something just doesn't add up. Expectations are higher now, but is it so wrong that they are?

Absolutely not, expectations should be much higher now, and we have a better chance of fulfilling them.

LaMotta
03-09-2019, 12:12 AM
Whilst we missed playing Hearts by being in different leagues for a few seasons, we didnt win a derby until ***in 1987. That's how bad the early to mid 80s were. :brickwall

Struggles against Clydebank, Meadowbank and Dumbarton also some bleak memories.

The strips were really good though as someone else said. And some majestic wins over the huns and tims.

And the terracing was great.

Yorkshire HFC
03-09-2019, 04:30 AM
I was a student in Aberdeen during this time - I went to the 8 league games in that period and saw 7 losses and a 2 - 2 draw (from when we were 2 - 0 up).

I started going regularly with my mates and not with my dad under Ormond, Auld, Stanton etc.- it was exciting times when you're growing up - great memories - Gary Murray, Durie, Rough, McNamara - big games against the Old Firm, that massive old terrace, 50p to get in as under 16.

Looking back though, everything is better now - eve the football!

Waxy
03-09-2019, 05:42 AM
Beating Rangers in the two legged league cup semi final.

Cataplana
03-09-2019, 05:47 AM
It was so bad at one point we were celebrating getting a corner. Real head down against the wind stuff.

Yet, we always thought we were only a couple of players away from mounting a league challenge.

We were saved from relegation by reconstruction, twice.

Killiehibbie
03-09-2019, 05:48 AM
Aberdeen putting 5 past us to win the league.
The odd glue sniffer on the terracing.
More fighting amongst rival gangs of Hibbies than with opposing fans.
Putting 8 past Kilmarnock, any chance of a repeat next week?
Going to Tynecastle knowing that we'd get bullied all over the park and Robertson would probably score.
Not much to cheer about but we lived in hope and were sometimes rewarded.

weecounty hibby
03-09-2019, 06:09 AM
It was so bad at one point we were celebrating getting a corner. Real head down against the wind stuff.

Yet, we always thought we were only a couple of players away from mounting a league challenge.

Hibernian has NEVER avoided relegation due to league reconstruction. We avoided it by the skin of our teeth but never due to league changes. It was a tough time back then but as a young boy growing into a teenager and then into a working boy my while life revolved around Hibs and getting to games. Made some lifelong friends during that period as well, and a lot of them still go to games most weeks.

bigwheel
03-09-2019, 06:16 AM
Hibernian has NEVER avoided relegation due to league reconstruction. We avoided it by the skin of our teeth but never due to league changes. It was a tough time back then but as a young boy growing into a teenager and then into a working boy my while life revolved around Hibs and getting to games. Made some lifelong friends during that period as well, and a lot of them still go to games most weeks.

Memory is fading now ..but did we avoid it due to reconstruction once ??

weecounty hibby
03-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Memory is fading now ..but did we avoid it due to reconstruction once ??

No, the year everyone remembers is when the league changed from 10 to 12. It was 1 down 1 up at that point but was changed midway through to be none down and 2 up. So the bottom team were saved. We were second bottom that year. It was either Motherwell or St Mirren who were saved. We beat St Mirren 4-3 on a pissing wet midweek night to help us to the lofty position of second last. Can't remember the exact year and can't be bothered looking it up

my left peg
03-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Loved the early eighties,times were tough,but football wasn’t dear,worked a paper round and an after school job at fine fare to go home and away,the football was terrible with occasional glimmers of hope,the Willie Irvine season,Bobby Thomson battering the linesman,bomber Harris winner at Ibrox,the cup runs in 85\86.....just as well there was no social media in those days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green Badger
03-09-2019, 06:28 AM
No, the year everyone remembers is when the league changed from 10 to 12. It was 1 down 1 up at that point but was changed midway through to be none down and 2 up. So the bottom team were saved. We were second bottom that year. It was either Motherwell or St Mirren who were saved. We beat St Mirren 4-3 on a pissing wet midweek night to help us to the lofty position of second last. Can't remember the exact year and can't be bothered looking it up

I am sure it was season 90/91.

Hiber-nation
03-09-2019, 06:28 AM

Correct, it was 90-91, the season after the proposed takeover. St Mirren finished bottom. The 4-3 game was definitely on a Saturday afternoon though :wink:

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Great days brilliant memories

Ramshackle stadiums,Casuals,Fanzines, Cans of Skol and Norseman Lager, CS gas, low ticket prices and low attendances, loads of average teams with some cult and brilliant players

Great Cup runs and relegation battles

Every player that pulled on the jersey knew what it was to play for HIBS and every team coming to Easter Road knew they would be in a game

Even although we were pish we did not fear any team we could beat Celtic one week and lose to Morton the next

That was the joy of watching HIBS and every away game was a day out an adventure

Hibees here Hibees there Hibees every .......!

The game that sums up the eighties for me was the first game of 1985/86 when Graeme Souness brought his Rangers team of superstars expensively cobbled together to Easter Road funnily enough one of the first things he said was that we got our football too cheap in Scotland

Anyway the fans were up for it the East was rammed on a glorious sunny Saturday afternoon

Hibs had their transfer window in one fell swoop by signing five new players at a fraction of the cost of their Rangers counterparts

Cue full scale on the pitch riot a sending off for Souness and a glorious 2-1 win for the Hibees

Welcome to Scotland!

Things would never be the same again

loanheadhibby
03-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Aye, weren't attedances our lowest ever in that period?

Used to go with my old man. I was about 8. £1.80 for Father/Son ticket. They were just stopping the lifting of kids over the turnstyle. Packet of horrible salted crisps at half time! Standing down the front looking thru the metal fence (East Terrace) looking over at Radio Hibs!

Seen us beat Celtic 1-0 twice, Gordon Rae scored in one at the Dunbar end. Charlie Nicholas missed a pen in one of the games. Was at the game v the Huns when John MacDonald dived to win a penalty. I remember a game when fans were shouting at Ralph Callaghan and he started shouting back. Crowds were low so you could hear every shout.

At Easter Road every week as back in the day, when the 1st team were away, the reserves playing at home. Lambie let me sit on top of the dug out at a reserve game and I can remember it vividly. It was when the dug out was actually dug below pitch level.

Happy days.

loanheadhibby
03-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Ramshackle stadiums,Casuals,Fanzines, Cans of Skol and Norseman Lager, low ticket prices and low attendances, loads of average teams with some cult and brilliant players

Every player that pulled on the jersey knew what it was to play for HIBS and every team coming to Easter Road knew they would be in a game

Even although we were pish we did not fear any team we could beat Celtic one week and lose to Morton the next

That was the joy of watching HIBS and every away game was a day out an adventure

The game that sums up the eighties for me was the first game of 1985/86 when Graeme Souness brought his Rangers team of superstars expensively cobbled together to Easter Road funnily enough one of the first things he said was that we got our football too cheap in Scotland

Anyway the fans were up for it the East was rammed on a glorious sunny Saturday afternoon

Hibs had their transfer window in one fell swoop by signing five new players at a fraction of the cost of their Rangers counterparts

Cue full scale on the pitch riot a sending off for Souness and a glorious 2-1 win for the Hibees

Welcome to Scotland!

Aye, what a great day that was. Place was rammed. I was in the East up the back and it was swaying everywhere. I think it was £3 a ticket. I remember everyone fighting in the middle of the park except for Roughie still standing in his own box. Maybe too far for him to run.

GerryS
03-09-2019, 08:58 AM
The team was awful but the strips were fantastic. The 1981 Umbro strip when we won the old First Division was brilliant. We had Gordon Rae and Gary Murray up front.

I also loved the Fishers Garage top in 1983 with the diagonal green-white join with the sleeves. We finally got a derby but we lost it 3-2 at Tynie.

The 1984 strip was even better. An Umbro classic. I have memories of Bobby Thomson and Willie Irvine wearing that. I seem to recall we had a mini pre-season tournament at Easter Road with Man City and Middlesbrough maybe in August 1984? I also seem to recall playing Newcastle for Jackie McNanmara's testimonial and George Best came back to play for Hibs.

It would be good to see retro versions of these tops.

hibbie02
03-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Ramshackle stadiums,Casuals,Fanzines, Cans of Skol and Norseman Lager, CS gas, low ticket prices and low attendances, loads of average teams with some cult and brilliant players

Welcome to Scotland!

That's pretty much how I remember it. Hibs was as much about the day out with mates as it was about football, which was just as well. Was in the Albion Road end at the Souness game (couldn't get in the West (North end) enclosure that day). Saw that tackle and the whole place went mental. That was a team of characters we had out that day.

Hibrandenburg
03-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Things were so bad that I ran away to join the army to forget. Having been blooded on the Tornadoes it was painful to watch a mini revival of Scottish football without Hibs being involved, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd tearing European football apart and on the domestic side we were hopeless underdogs not only to the old firm but also the new firm and Hearts. Dismal times for Hibs that almost led to our demise. Today's problems in perspective are 1st world problems.

Superfurry72
03-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Welcome to Scotland!

I started going in 1981 so remember those years well. Highlights for me include a 1-1 draw with Dundee Utd in October 81 (my first game), beating Killie 8-1 with six of our goals scored ‘up the slope’, the 4-3 cup win against Celtic in March 86, the Souness game in August 86 and our derby wins at Easter Road in 1987 and Tynecastle in 1988 (Kano scored in both).

There was also Bobby Thomson’s attack on the linesman, Benny’s hat-trick, Sloop coming out of retirement to play at Ibrox and the Skol Cup run in 1985.

It was an era of crumbling terraces, casuals, fanzines and wild unpredictability and I loved every minute!

The Harp Awakes
03-09-2019, 10:34 AM
The late 70s/80s following Hibs were crazy times for sure.

We were mostly p1sh but my God life was never dull at the games. Some memories in no particular order:

- the unsegregated derbys at Tynecastle
- the George Best rollercoaster
- beating Celtic 4-1 at Easter Road and the Celtic fans invading the pitch to try and get the game abandoned
- Hearts fans leaving the Dunbar end early and entering the seated enclosure for a square go with Hibs fans, during an East of Scotland shield game (1-0 Hibs Gerry O'Brien)
- As a 12 year old kid being punched in the mouth by an adult Aberdeen fan, in the old high terracing at Easter Road (no segregation). I was just passing by him doing nothing incidentally.
- The craziness of the Souness 2-1 game. Don't think I've ever witnessed a more volatile atmosphere than that day
- the Celtic game at Easter Road where they threw the CS gas canister into the Hibs end; actually I think that was much later.

So not all good and some pretty nasty stuff going on, but you could never say it was boring.

hibbie02
03-09-2019, 10:48 AM
The late 70s/80s following Hibs were crazy times for sure.

We were mostly p1sh but my God life was never dull at the games. Some memories in no particular order:

- the unsegregated derbys at Tynecastle
- the George Best rollercoaster
- beating Celtic 4-1 at Easter Road and the Celtic fans invading the pitch to try and get the game abandoned
- Hearts fans leaving the Dunbar end early and entering the seated enclosure for a square go with Hibs fans, during an East of Scotland shield game (1-0 Hibs Gerry O'Brien)
- As a 12 year old kid being punched in the mouth by an adult Aberdeen fan, in the old high terracing at Easter Road (no segregation). I was just passing by him doing nothing incidentally.
- The craziness of the Souness 2-1 game. Don't think I've ever witnessed a more volatile atmosphere than that day
- the Celtic game at Easter Road where they threw the CS gas canister into the Hibs end; actually I think that was much later.

So not all good and some pretty nasty stuff going on, but you could never say it was boring.

I remember when they removed the top off the high terrace and thoughtfully decorated the top of what was left with stone chippings..... that went well.

scm70nyd1973
03-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Welcome to Scotland!

86/87 season it was and what an epic game in the sun.

A bit different to the previous ‘epic’ league game at ER where Stuart Beedie scored for the Arabs whilst the other Dundee team was doing us proud back in cake eating land - slightly lower attendance for that one but that was good because I remember I had oodles of space to jump about in when Sir Albert did the biz 😁

Superfurry72
03-09-2019, 10:58 AM
86/87 season it was and what an epic game in the sun.

A bit different to the previous ‘epic’ league game at ER where Stuart Beedie scored for the Arabs whilst the other Dundee team was doing us proud back in cake eating land - slightly lower attendance for that one but that was good because I remember I had oodles of space to jump about in when Sir Albert did the biz 😁

I was there too...one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever experienced. I’ve never seen an opposition’s winning goal ignored by so many!!!

bigwheel
03-09-2019, 11:21 AM
When we won 2-1 cd Souness in his first league game - Stuart Beedie scoring one of our goals - I thought to myself - what a player we have signed here ...think he went on to play less than 20 games for us ..him and Kirkwood ended up pretty disappointing recruits ....

wallpaperman
03-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Remember the tv gantry at the very top of the old terracing?

The commentators got protected from the elements by an old plastic tarpaulin if i remember right, can’t have been pleasant on a wet and windy day, which it often seemed to be.

Sometimes a wee crowd would gather below to serenade Archie McPherson with a few songs.

Superfurry72
03-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Remember the tv gantry at the very top of the old terracing?

The commentators got protected from the elements by an old plastic tarpaulin if i remember right, can’t have been pleasant on a wet and windy day, which it often seemed to be.

Sometimes a wee crowd would gather below to serenade Archie McPherson with a few songs.

I do remember that...what about the crap electronic scoreboard above the cowshed? Quite often didn’t work but when it did would flash up “If it isn’t smooth it isn’t Smirnoff” constantly

Colr
03-09-2019, 12:03 PM

I remember the growing violence around the game at that time as well.

It was that rather than the **** football that led me to stop attending for a few years until the 1991 cup final tempted me back.

Keith_M
03-09-2019, 01:37 PM
I started going to games fairly regularly from season 79-80, the year we were relegated (I'm a jinx ;-) ). I went to almost every match in the first division and we often had better crowds away from home than at ER.

Easter Road itself was basically a giant tip, far too big and mostly open to the elements. I enjoyed going to away games , as most other grounds had some covered terracing and you could actually create a bit of atmosphere. Fir Park,Tannadice and Love Street were my favourites.

Our support at Ibrox was usually really small, just a few hundred. It was like that at Celtc Park as well, until they put proper segregation in place in the away end, at which point we started getting a decent support.

On the pitch, we were mostly just horrendous. Bertie Auld had the team mid-table with boring football and a lot of draws. Little did we know that it would actually get worse after he left, and we generally finished in the bottom third of the league. There was a reasonably bright spell around 1988/89, then the Mercer takeover attempt happened.

Happy Days :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 01:44 PM
I started going to games fairly regularly from season 79-80, the year we were relegated (I'm a jinx ;-) ). I went o almost every match in the first division and we often had better crowds away from home than at ER.

Easter Road itself was basically a giant tip, far too big and mostly open to the elements. I enjoyed going to away games , as most other grounds had some covered terracing and you could actually create a bit of atmosphere. Fir Park,Tannadice and Love Street were my favourites.

Our support at Ibrox was usually really small, just a few hundred. It was like that at Celtc Park as well, until they put proper segregation in place in the away end, at which point we started getting a decent support.

On the pitch, we were mostly just horrendous. Bertie Auld had the team mid-table with boring football and a lot of draws. Little did we know that it would actually get worse after he left, and we generally finished in the bottom third of the league. There was a reasonably bright spell around 1988/89, then the Mercer takeover attempt happened.

Happy Days :greengrin

Eye bleeding stuff wi Bertie the Bunnet

Played 36 w 0 d 36 l 0 points 36

Safe as houses

If you fell oot wi him he would pull his medals oot fae his top drawer slam them on his desk and say “Show me YOUR medals ? “

He would win loads of arguments with Craig Levein

Keith_M
03-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Eye bleeding stuff wi Bertie the Bunnet

Played 36 w 0 d 36 l 0 points 36

Safe as houses

If you fell oot wi him he would pull his medals oot fae his top drawer slam them on his desk and say “Show me YOUR medals ? “

He would win loads of arguments with Craig Levein

southsider
03-09-2019, 02:37 PM
We had some very average players back then. Stuart Turnbull, Malcy the Alcky, Mike Conroy, Billy McLaren, and Peter Welsh to name but a few.

JimBHibees
03-09-2019, 03:18 PM

:hmmm: LTYF :greengrin

cmcd
03-09-2019, 03:44 PM
:faf:

Great days indeed.

Never heard of Peter Welsh ??

wallpaperman
03-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Think he signed from Leicester and had a tache. That’s about all I remember about him.

HappyAsHellas
03-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Was it not when the Sloop was in charge that John Collins was having to play as a left back? The Bertie years were mind numbingly boring, a period in our history that should never be dredged up again as it has to have been the worst in our history. Watching the Tornadoes phased out to be replaced with that is I'm sure, the origin of the expression "after the lord mayors show".
On the bright side, Heckingbottom seems like a breath of fresh air compared to what we had then.

wallpaperman
03-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Was it not when the Sloop was in charge that John Collins was having to play as a left back? The Bertie years were mind numbingly boring, a period in our history that should never be dredged up again as it has to have been the worst in our history. Watching the Tornadoes phased out to be replaced with that is I'm sure, the origin of the expression "after the lord mayors show".
On the bright side, Heckingbottom seems like a breath of fresh air compared to what we had then.

To be fair to Bertie, he didn’t get us relegated, he was brought in to stabilise things, and boy did he do that, but in a very dull way.

Cataplana
03-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Loved the early eighties,times were tough,but football wasn’t dear,worked a paper round and an after school job at fine fare to go home and away,the football was terrible with occasional glimmers of hope,the Willie Irvine season,Bobby Thomson battering the linesman,bomber Harris winner at Ibrox,the cup runs in 85\86.....just as well there was no social media in those days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was thinking about Willie Irvine the other night. He seemed to come from nowhere, then faded away just as quick. Anybody got any idea why?

The Bobby Thomson incident was a bit punk rock, but totally in keeping with the state we were in at the time. What made it so shocking was that he ran half the length of the pitch to banjo him.

I also remember Bobby getting hooked at half time in a New Years' derby. Story was that he was the worse for drink.

Other mentalism included Kano scoring against Hearts, and running up to the Dunbar End sticking up the vees.

The game is so sterile now.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Was thinking about Willie Irvine the other night. He seemed to come from nowhere, then faded away just as quick. Anybody got any idea why?

The Bobby Thomson incident was a bit punk rock, but totally in keeping with the state we were in at the time. What made it so shocking was that he ran half the length of the pitch to banjo him.

I also remember Bobby getting hooked at half time in a New Years' derby. Story was that he was the worse for drink.

Other mentalism included Kano scoring against Hearts, and running up to the Dunbar End sticking up the vees.

The game is so sterile now.

There was the REAL Willie Irvine ( 98 app 31 gls) and Willie Irvine ( 15 app 2 gls )

The REAL Willie Irvine was signed from Motherwell a cavalier centre forward shirt outside his shorts socks round his ankles fast as f##k and lightning quick and like a m###oose on a snake on any ball in the box

I remember being in the Gorgie Road end with my father in law and brother in law ( both jambos) when he latched onto a loose ball in the box and rammed it into the jambo pokey I went radge
I think the first time they realised they had a HIBS nut in the family

:scarf:

The other Willie Irvine came from Stirling Albion

Edit :

To answer your question

1983/84 44 app 24 gls
1984/85 25 app 3 gls
1985/86 4 app 0 gls

Sold to Ayr Utd and the emergence of Gordon Durie and Stevie Cowan

Edit2:

Also thought Bobby Thomson was a great player for HIBS tough robust and could handle himself as a forward totally different from the usual HIBS forward you just would not mess with him

I was at the game versus St Johnstone when he got sent off for banjoing the stand side linesman

Apart from the violence a very good technical player ��

Peevemor
03-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Willie Irvine (the good one) used to have a wee pub on Rose Street, just West of Castle Street IIRC. I used to go in fairly often (it was midway between where my then girlfriend and I worked) and he was always really sound.

Edit: It just came back to me, the pub was called the Blythe Spirit.

WoreTheGreen
03-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Me neither never heard of him

loanheadhibby
03-09-2019, 06:12 PM
We had some very average players back then. Stuart Turnbull, Malcy the Alcky, Mike Conroy, Billy McLaren, and Peter Welsh to name but a few.

Derek Rodier, Willie Jamieson, Ally Donaldson (goalie), Robin Rae, Mark Fulton. Some haddies in they days.

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Me neither never heard of him

He must have looked great at '18 stone' in those extra tight eighties kits with hot pants for shorts :greengrin

Keith_M
03-09-2019, 06:17 PM
The REAL Willie Irvine was being inexplicably left out of the first team (I think a contract dispute) and the Hibs Supporters were chanting every week "there's only one Willie Irvine"... so they signed another player called Willie Irvine from Stirling.

Iggy Pope
03-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Loved every minute. However, Eddie started the decade by getting us relegated with the utterly hopeless bunch of players he had assembled save one or two diamonds. One point away from home all season by the way. He should have been out of a job by that time and by today’s standards he would be. Probably a couple of years earlier.
Still, the early 80s we had people like Jackie Mac, Mickey Weir, Flyer hanging in, Phase 2 Scheadler, Roughie, Gordon Rae, Brian Rice, Alan Sneddon....Loved the lot of them.

Wull
03-09-2019, 06:36 PM
I still believe the disaster of early 80`s was as a result of the 79 cup final. If we had got the 100% penalty when Mcloy took out Colin Campbell in the last few minutes and we had won the cup, things would have been very different, but the hun referee though otherwise, still seething, HUN bassas.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Loved every minute. However, Eddie started the decade by getting us relegated with the utterly hopeless bunch of players he had assembled save one or two diamonds. One point away from home all season by the way. He should have been out of a job by that time and by today’s standards he would be. Probably a couple of years earlier.
Still, the early 80s we had people like Jackie Mac, Mickey Weir, Flyer hanging in, Phase 2 Scheadler, Roughie, Gordon Rae, Brian Rice, Alan Sneddon....Loved the lot of them.

Spot on Iggy

At the end of the day everyone of them loved us and have come out and said they loved our club regardless of their previous allegiance

They just got HIBS

Great times

Edit:

Even Fraser Fyvie has come clean HIBS are his club :greengrin

Edit 2 :

Just as well there was no dotnet in ETs later days

DaveSo
03-09-2019, 06:51 PM
I was going through High School in the early 1980's and it wasn't great.
If Social Media was around then I hate to think what would be getting chucked around.
It started with a season in the 1st division and that was actually ok.
I recall going to a Raith Rovers game midweek at ER towards the end of the season where we clinched the title.
The following seasons back in the Premier League were tough, think we were always in the bottom half.
Low points were losing 3-0 at half time to Dumbarton. Two second half goals were not enough to save Pat Stanton's job.
Bertie Auld era was torture.
Durie and Cowan were great cos we started scoring lots of goals.
I remember us beating Rangers early season midweek with John Collins scoring the only goal and then 3 days later getting hammered 4-0 by Dundee. We were so inconsistent.
Someone earlier posted about beating Aberdeen 2-1 when they were top dogs in Europe. That was a rare high point at that time. I seem to remember Doug Rougvie scored early for The Sheep and Willie Irvine scored twice for us in the second half past Bryan Gunn cos Jim Leighton was injured. It was a big crowd for that time and it was only about 9,000 !
Things got better after that with beating Rangers in the League Cup two legged semi final. We had a massive support at Ibrox for the Wednesday night second leg.
There was also a rare Scottish semi final but we got gubbed by Aberdeen at Dens Park. Another huge traveling support for that game too.
Then came the Souness game in the sun and beating Celtic twice in the League Cup and Scottish I think in the same season.
Far more let downs than high points in that time but like most on here who was there, I wouldn't change it. A much more honest time and great memories.
Made lifting the cup in 2016 all the more special.
:flag:

The Green Sea
03-09-2019, 07:13 PM
I started supporting Hibs in 1981 and I thought what I was watching was the norm. Turns out, other then the odd patch, it was!

Hibernia&Alba
03-09-2019, 07:31 PM
All of the diehards who were there during those bleak years deserve a medal. That was commitment to a seemingly lost cause.

weecounty hibby
03-09-2019, 07:48 PM
All of the diehards who were there during those bleak years deserve a medal. That was commitment to a seemingly lost cause.
I've often thought about that. I think when you look around you at Hibs matches there are a lot of us who still go that suffered through that period. We are obviously made of sterner stuff than some of those who have followed!

Jones28
03-09-2019, 07:57 PM

Totally agree, those guys really have seen the lowest lows. At least I saw us get relegated in a shiny new stadium 😂.

One Day Soon
03-09-2019, 08:39 PM

It was ****ing brutal, but also a lot of laughs. Where do I apply for my medal BTW?

Mixu62
04-09-2019, 01:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEZPuqvrWs

This thread and the Paul Kane hibstalk podcast got me thinking... Enjoy! :greengrin

lord bunberry
04-09-2019, 01:46 AM
I’m another who first started going to games in the 80s. At first I didn’t realise how bad we were at the time because it was just so good being at the games. There’s been a lot of players good and bad mentioned so far, but it surprises me that Gordon Durie hasn’t been mentioned yet. He came from East Fife and did a great job before moving down south to Spurs I think. He must’ve been signed by Sloop just before he left.

Peevemor
04-09-2019, 05:07 AM
I’m another who first started going to games in the 80s. At first I didn’t realise how bad we were at the time because it was just so good being at the games. There’s been a lot of players good and bad mentioned so far, but it surprises me that Gordon Durie hasn’t been mentioned yet. He came from East Fife and did a great job before moving down south to Spurs I think. He must’ve been signed by Sloop just before he left.

Was it not Chelsea he went to?

MSK
04-09-2019, 05:20 AM
Aye, what a great day that was. Place was rammed. I was in the East up the back and it was swaying everywhere. I think it was £3 a ticket. I remember everyone fighting in the middle of the park except for Roughie still standing in his own box. Maybe too far for him to run.I was in the East that day too with my brother, absolute chaos when Souness got his jotters, the East was so packed I think you would have struggled to slip a fag paper between the fans, the sways were all over the place, think I saw my brother about two or three times during the game as we were never in the same spot 😆

MSK
04-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Was it not Chelsea he went to?It was, Bunberry is having a senior moment 😆

Mixu62
04-09-2019, 05:30 AM
I started going just as they had covered the East Terracing with a roof that seemed to need a pillar every 3 yards to hold it up. I see old pics of the "Cowshed" (or "Cave" depending on your age) with terracing, but I only remember it with wooden benches. Not sure what year all this happened. First game was a reserve cup final v Celtic (we lost 0-1) with only the main stand and enclosure open. Must have been about 1981/2. I know we all hark back to those days like it was some sort of golden age, but really, football stadiums had to change. My lad is 6 now and I can't imagine taking him along to the "old" Easter Road in this age of H&S.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2019, 06:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEZPuqvrWs

This thread and the Paul Kane hibstalk podcast got me thinking... Enjoy! :greengrin

That strip was a thing of beauty

Superfurry72
04-09-2019, 07:28 AM

It was Chelsea. He was a great player. Saw his debut against Dundee at ER, and later that season he scored a first half hat-trick against Morton. His partnership with Cowan in 85-86 brought us a lot of goals and helped us to our only cup final of the Eighties.

Barman Stanton
04-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Probably about 85 I started going regularly. I thought Steve Cowan was the best player in Scotland!

Killiehibbie
04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Probably about 85 I started going regularly. I thought Steve Cowan was the best player in Scotland!

The guy setting them up for him would've made me look good.

FilipinoHibs
04-09-2019, 08:26 AM
80s were bleak. DIV 2. Small crowds. Open East truncated terrace. 21 in a row. Bright spots: League Cup final but pumped ; Goram, Weir, Kane and Collins; Archibald; Europe and end of Duff &. & Co.

HappyAsHellas
04-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Was it Moscow Dynamo we played in a friendly or testimonial around the mid 80's. I think Durie scored a hat trick but the most memorable thing was when the Russian team stood in a line pre game to wave to the crowd, and the east started singing "What's it like to queue for bread".

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Was it Moscow Dynamo we played in a friendly or testimonial around the mid 80's. I think Durie scored a hat trick but the most memorable thing was when the Russian team stood in a line pre game to wave to the crowd, and the east started singing "What's it like to queue for bread".

HIBS 2 v 0 Moscow Dynamo

Durie double

Hibs 4 v 2 Feyenoord

Durie Hatrick

Hiber-nation
04-09-2019, 08:40 AM
An unexpected highlight was a 1-0 win at Tannadice. The result was surprising enough as Utd were a top side in these days and we were mince but to see Derek Rodier flying up the wing from his own half and crossing for Stuart Turnbull to score with a diving header, well.....

Peevemor
04-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Was that not played on a Friday night after being arranged at the last minute? My memory was that it was freezing cold. Was the terracing open? I normally went there but was in the centre stand that night.

Keith_M
04-09-2019, 09:03 AM

When can I collect mine?

👍

Keith_M
04-09-2019, 09:05 AM
80s were bleak. DIV 2. Small crowds. Open East truncated terrace. 21 in a row. Bright spots: League Cup final but pumped ; Goram, Weir, Kane and Collins; Archibald; Europe and end of Duff &. & Co.

Division 2?

We weren't THAT bad

😋

LeithMike
04-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Great read. Born in 75 and I think my first game was a 1-0 victory over Hearts in the Tom Hart Trophy - Jackie McNamara. Might have been a league cup tie with Dundee Utd though.

Even though Hibs probably weren't great - they had their moments in the Sun and there were always good players. I remember liking Jackie Mac, Craig Paterson and Gordon Murray before Willie Irvine and Joe McBride came on the scene. Mickey Weie was my childhood idol and I remember crying when the Evening News broke the news that he had signed for Luton. There was never much turnover in players though and a few shockers remained on Hibs' books for years. They wouldn't last long now.

I grew up in West Edinburgh and the derbies were torture as the whole school and family friends were Hearts fans. Winning a derby was rare but extra special.

Hampden was a rarity though and it was only in later years it became mostly a place of shattered dreams and disappointment. 21 May 2016 made up for those though.

Growing up as a child as a Hibs fan in the eighties has definitely shaped my character and I would never have it any other way.

I hope our fans can see that our present difficulties are temporal and that the good times are made all the more special through the bad times. Let's hope we are back on the up soon though!

Do I put my 4 year old son through all this now?!!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Killiehibbie
04-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Great read. Born in 75 and I think my first game was a 1-0 victory over Hearts in the Tom Hart Trophy - Jackie McNamara. Might have been a league cup tie with Dundee Utd though.

Even though Hibs probably weren't great - they had their moments in the Sun and there were always good players. I remember liking Jackie Mac, Craig Paterson and Gordon Murray before Willie Irvine and Joe McBride came on the scene. Mickey Weie was my childhood idol and I remember crying when the Evening News broke the news that he had signed for Luton. There was never much turnover in players though and a few shockers remained on Hibs' books for years. They wouldn't last long now.

I grew up in West Edinburgh and the derbies were torture as the whole school and family friends were Hearts fans. Winning a derby was rare but extra special.

Hampden was a rarity though and it was only in later years it became mostly a place of shattered dreams and disappointment. 21 May 2016 made up for those though.

Growing up as a child as a Hibs fan in the eighties has definitely shaped my character and I would never have it any other way.

I hope our fans can see that our present difficulties are temporal and that the good times are made all the more special through the bad times. Let's hope we are back on the up soon though!

Do I put my 4 year old son through all this now?!!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Wait until he's 5. Hecky gone by then you might not get done for being a horrible dad!

FilipinoHibs
04-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Division 2?

We weren't THAT bad

😋

Meant second tier.😳

FilipinoHibs
04-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Wait until he's 5. Hecky gone by then you might not get done for being a horrible dad!

Still nothing compared to 80s. Another bright spot Joe McBride double to get us a draw at Tynie. Saw Durie rip us apart for East Fife. Was a great player with pace then. When he went to Chelsea we pumped them 4-0 at ER in a friendly. Remember singing "you should have stayed with the Hibees"

lord bunberry
04-09-2019, 11:08 AM
yes you’re right it was

It was, Bunberry is having a senior moment 😆
not for the first time :greengrin

pollution
04-09-2019, 11:33 AM
I was in the East that day too with my brother, absolute chaos when Souness got his jotters, the East was so packed I think you would have struggled to slip a fag paper between the fans, the sways were all over the place, think I saw my brother about two or three times during the game as we were never in the same spot 😆

I was there that day, in the stand.

The official attendance was approx 26000 but from where I was it looked like a total squeeze, the crowd rippled that hot day.

Since452
04-09-2019, 11:37 AM
The only thing we had to celebrate in the 80's was Hearts losing out on the title. Grim. Must have been worse for the folk that saw us in the 70's.

Golden Bear
04-09-2019, 11:39 AM
I was there that day, in the stand.

The official attendance was approx 26000 but from where I was it looked like a total squeeze, the crowd rippled that hot day.

These were the days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdesakrwn0

AndyM_1875
04-09-2019, 12:53 PM
I started going regularly in 1984-85, a season we just avoided the drop. Remember losing 3-2 at home to Dumbarton standing on the open terrace in front of a miserable crowd. The team went on a horriffic run. We collected 0 points all season from St Mirren. Worst results were probably a 4-0 gubbing by Morton and getting knocked out of the League Cup by Meadowbank Thistle.

That whole season was a struggle, defeat after defeat, but we managed to turn things round in January and won late at Ibrox and then made things easier by beating Dumbarton and an already doomed Morton at Easter Road. Safety was secured when we won 2-0 at Dumbarton in front of a big Hibs support where the club laid on free buses for the fans. Willie Irvine and Brian Rice scored the goals.
There was a couple of late highlights with a 2-2 draw at Tynecastle thanks to Joe McBride and a 1-0 win at Parkhead where Iain Munro played as a trialist. We finished off winning 1-0 against Rangers in front of a paltry 7000 fans.

All in all it was a dreadful season. Character building I suppose.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2019, 01:31 PM
I started going regularly in 1984-85, a season we just avoided the drop. Remember losing 3-2 at home to Dumbarton standing on the open terrace in front of a miserable crowd. The team went on a horriffic run. We collected 0 points all season from St Mirren. Worst results were probably a 4-0 gubbing by Morton and getting knocked out of the League Cup by Meadowbank Thistle.

That whole season was a struggle, defeat after defeat, but we managed to turn things round in January and won late at Ibrox and then made things easier by beating Dumbarton and an already doomed Morton at Easter Road. Safety was secured when we won 2-0 at Dumbarton in front of a big Hibs support where the club laid on free buses for the fans. Willie Irvine and Brian Rice scored the goals.
There was a couple of late highlights with a 2-2 draw at Tynecastle thanks to Joe McBride and a 1-0 win at Parkhead where Iain Munro played as a trialist. We finished off winning 1-0 against Rangers in front of a paltry 7000 fans.

All in all it was a dreadful season. Character building I suppose.

Remember away to Dumbarton real do or die stuff

You could cut the tension with a knife

Awesome HIBS support in the days before WiFi and streaming

It was a case of go to the game or miss it

You still had folk wired up to David Francey on their trannies the only connection to the outside world that and the ever unreliable half time scoreboards

Happy days

Keith_M
04-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Meant second tier.��

I know, I just couldn't resist.

:greengrin

Were you a regular attender in those days as well?

AndyM_1875
04-09-2019, 03:37 PM

You still had folk wired up to David Francey on their trannies the only connection to the outside world that and the ever unreliable half time scoreboards

Happy days

That's right Billy. No TV cameras which would baffle many of the younger fans who are used to every game being covered. I remember a Jambo school pal of mine whining because Hibs had been on Sportscene two weeks in a row that season and both were wins (v Rangers 2-1 and Dumbarton 3-1) . That was only because only Hibs and Rangers had undersoil heating whilst most of the card was wiped out by the winter weather. Watching Sportscene we were familiar with Archie's massive brown sheepskin overcoat.

Looking back at Hibs in those days there was definitely the feeling that the club was being run on a shoestring and living hand to mouth. Kenny Waugh (God rest him) would sit in the stand smoking these huge cigars and being Mr Hibs and he did love the club but there was no money and no investment in the club. You could see that in the state Easter Road was in. That season we had to scrabble together to get the 65 grand to pay East Fife for Gordon Durie. One thing I remember was that it was Kenny Waugh himself who sold me my replica umbro Hibs shirt in the shop that year, he was in it on his own! :greengrin. I used my Christmas money to buy the shirt and I absolutely treasured it.

In smaller games Hibs used to close off sections of the ground to cut Police costs.
I think it was at the end of that season that the old high terracing was decapitated and the East Terracing was covered.

Cataplana
04-09-2019, 03:48 PM
That's right Billy. No TV cameras which would baffle many of the younger fans who are used to every game being covered. I remember a Jambo school pal of mine whining because Hibs had been on Sportscene two weeks in a row that season and both were wins (v Rangers 2-1 and Dumbarton 3-1) . That was only because only Hibs and Rangers had undersoil heating whilst most of the card was wiped out by the winter weather. Watching Sportscene we were familiar with Archie's massive brown sheepskin overcoat.

Looking back at Hibs in those days there was definitely the feeling that the club was being run on a shoestring and living hand to mouth. Kenny Waugh (God rest him) would sit in the stand smoking these huge cigars and being Mr Hibs and he did love the club but there was no money and no investment in the club. You could see that in the state Easter Road was in. That season we had to scrabble together to get the 65 grand to pay East Fife for Gordon Durie. One thing I remember was that it was Kenny Waugh himself who sold me my replica umbro Hibs shirt in the shop that year, he was in it on his own! :greengrin. I used my Christmas money to buy the shirt and I absolutely treasured it.

In smaller games Hibs used to close off sections of the ground to cut Police costs.
I think it was at the end of that season that the old high terracing was decapitated and the East Terracing was covered.

A school friend played for Hibs at the time, before being transferred to Dundee. I was amazed to hear that Dundee were a much more professional outfit at the time.

I remember Hibs pre match training gear. Old navy sweaters that were bought from the Army and Navy stores on Leith Walk. The players embroidered their own tops to make sure no one stole them . Apparently some of them had holes in them and if yours was lieing around it was a goner.

Peevemor
04-09-2019, 06:23 PM
I started going to matches regularly in the old 1st division under Bertie Auld, complete with a pitch invasion after the last game of the season.

Other memories in no particular order.

Almost half the terracing being closed for segregation and the skinheads who crowded together just under the camera stand/scaffold.

The guys in purple jackets who sold pies at the front of the terracing throughout the match.

Benny's hat trick in a friendly against Celtic.

Beating Celtic twice at ER in one season (I think). 1-0 each time (one match where we scored after half an hour then clung on for the result).

The John McDonald dive.

Matches against the ugly sisters normally drew crowds of around 17-18k, where we were often outnumbered by the away support who got the old South stand & enclosure as well as the Dunbar end. Celtic in particular always brought a huge support.

Craig Paterson getting pelters during his first match back at ER after his transfer to them (Craigie Paterson, what's it like to be a hun?...).

A big crowd at ER for a SC 2nd replay against Dundee Utd. (both other matches finished 1-1). There was about 15k there with maybe 3,500 Utd. fans. We got gubbed 3-0.

The match against Dundee which was stopped due to fog. Hibs didn't have any vouchers to hand out to fans for the replay so it was free entry. Hibs won 3-0 (IIRC) in front of 8k fans.

Ally Mcleod's double free kick against Dundee.

A superb 3-3 draw at Tannadice with Brian Rice getting Hibs 3rd with a sweet 18yd volley.

Goram's goal against Morton.

Ally Mcleod's last game for Hibs, also against Morton (away).

That cup defeat at Bayview, with chaos in the ground caused by there being Hibs fans everywhere.

Dougie Bell. A very skillful player who could dribble the ball past anyone, unfortunately it was usually back and forward along the halfway line.

Epic cup ties against the old firm.

Getting served in the Hibs shop under the centre stand by anyone who was around (I bought a scarf from Cecil Graham the long serving club secretary).

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2019, 06:36 PM
I started going to matches regularly in the old 1st division under Bertie Auld, complete with a pitch invasion after the last game of the season.

Almost half the terracing being closed for segregation and the skinheads who crowded together just under the camera stand/scaffold.

The guys in purple jackets who sold pies at the front of the terracing throughout the match.

Beating Celtic twice at ER in one season (I think). 1-0 each time (one match where we scored after half an hour then clung on for the result).

The John McDonald dive.

Matches against the ugly sisters normally drew crowds of around 17-18k, where we were often outnumbered by the away support who got the old South stand & enclosure as well as the Dunbar end. Celtic in particular always brought a huge support.

Craig Paterson getting pelters during his first match back at ER after his transfer to them (Craigie Paterson, what's it like to be a hun?...).

A big crowd at ER for a SC 2nd replay against Dundee Utd. (both other matches finished 1-1). There was about 15k there with maybe 3,500 Utd. fans. We got gubbed 3-0.

The match against Dundee which was stopped due to fog. Hibs didn't have any vouchers to hand out to fans for the replay so it was free entry. Hibs won 3-0 (IIRC) in front of 8k fans.

A superb 3-3 draw at Tannadice with Brian Rice getting Hibs 3rd with a sweet 18yd volley.

That cup defeat at Bayview, with chaos in the ground caused by there being Hibs fans everywhere.

Dougie Bell. A very skillful player who could dribble the ball past anyone, unfortunately it was usually back and forward along the halfway line.

Getting served in the Hibs shop under the centre stand by anyone who was around (I bought a scarf from Cecil Graham the long serving club secretary).

Aye the Scottish Cup QF versus Celtic 4-3 Eddie May came on and scored the winner with a diving header

The place went radge Celtic weren’t happy and their fans tried to invade the pitch

There was no TV coverage due to a strike and a shop at Haymarket made a fortune selling VHS tapes of the full game

Ive still got mine somewhere

bigwheel
04-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Aye the Scottish Cup QF versus Celtic 4-3 Eddie May came on and scored the winner with a diving header

The place went radge Celtic weren’t happy and their fans tried to invade the pitch

There was no TV coverage due to a strike and a shop at Haymarket made a fortune selling VHS tapes of the full game

Complete with a little Pitch battle between fans at the end [emoji6]

Peevemor
04-09-2019, 06:55 PM

There was also the league cup QF match at ER that ended 4-4. Pierce O'Leary skied his penalty to put us through.

Superfurry72
04-09-2019, 08:49 PM

I was the mascot for the Dumbarton game at ER! I ran out with Roughie and promptly missed an open goal in front of the Dumbarton fans (for some reason we warmed up at the Dunbar End). Remember Brian Rice ruffled my hair!

wpj
04-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Still nothing compared to 80s. Another bright spot Joe McBride double to get us a draw at Tynie. Saw Durie rip us apart for East Fife. Was a great player with pace then. When he went to Chelsea we pumped them 4-0 at ER in a friendly. Remember singing "you should have stayed with the Hibees"

Some great memories on this thread, some grounds no longer still around. I was home and away for most of the latter half of the 80s, we used to joke if you didnt make a game you had to have a letter from your parents to explain why.
The Chelsea game sticks in my mind for the two fans who climbed over the fence taking ages as it was so high. They finally dropped into the Hibs end into about 50 CCS guys. Wasnt pretty.

AndyM_1875
05-09-2019, 08:18 AM
I was the mascot for the Dumbarton game at ER! I ran out with Roughie and promptly missed an open goal in front of the Dumbarton fans (for some reason we warmed up at the Dunbar End). Remember Brian Rice ruffled my hair!

Ha ! That was a freezing day in January. I remember seeing my mate from school who was gravitating towards the Hibs Baby Crew standing in the Dunbar End resplendent in his white Ivan Lendl trackie top celebrating when Brian Rice slammed his penalty in. To be fair there were only about 25 Dumbarton fans scattered in the entire away end.

But that game was hard work.

BILLYHIBS
05-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Anyone remember Rikki Raginas Programme Hut top of the East?
The electronic scoreboard on top of the cowshed?
It was like something out of Back to the Future sparking and never bursting into life
The guys walking roond the ground in purple tops selling Kia Ora,Wagon Wheels and spearmint chewing gum
The old guy walking roond at half time with the Lucky Programme numbers on a blackboard
The old White Scoreboard South East corner with the shoogly numbers
The waft of pipe tobacco coming from the North Enclosure
The stamping of feet to a rendition of “Hibees!”led by Frank Dougan
The wall of pish at the back of the old Stand at Half Time
Someone shouting “Open the gates” as Arthur booted the ball ahead of the full back and put the after burners on headed down the slope

Early in 1980 there was a Scottish Cup tie on a Sunday versus Ayr Utd
The 15000 crowd were stunned to hear that Willie Murray would be playing instead of George Best who was otherwise detained with the French Rugby team
We won that game 2-0 but were later knocked out by Celtic in the semi 5-0 and relegated from the SPL

Would I change a thing?

Probably not

FilipinoHibs
05-09-2019, 10:26 AM
I know, I just couldn't resist.

Were you a regular attender in those days as well?

Yes I saw a lot if Scotland that season. Been a regular since 1971 but last four and half years lived abroad. Time visits home to see the Hibs and watch live on Hibs TV. Glad I lived to see 2016. I thought when Hibs went up to lift the Scottish cup I would be dead.

FilipinoHibs
05-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Anyone remember Rikki Raginas Programme Hut top of the East?
The electronic scoreboard on top of the cowshed?
It was like something out of Back to the Future sparking and never bursting into life
The guys walking roond the ground in purple tops selling Kia Ora,Wagon Wheels and spearmint chewing gum
The old guy walking roond at half time with the Lucky Programme numbers on a blackboard
The old White Scoreboard South East corner with the shoogly numbers
The waft of pipe tobacco coming from the North Enclosure
The stamping of feet to a rendition of “Hibees!”led by Frank Dougan
The wall of pish at the back of the old Stand at Half Time
Someone shouting “Open the gates” as Arthur booted the ball ahead of the full back and put the after burners on headed down the slope

Early in 1980 there was a Scottish Cup tie on a Sunday versus Ayr Utd
The 15000 crowd were stunned to hear that Willie Murray would be playing instead of George Best who was otherwise detained with the French Rugby team
We won that game 2-0 but were later knocked out by Celtic in the semi 5-0 and relegated from the SPL

Would I change a thing?

Probably not

Willie a friend and still jokes about when he had to step in for Best to keep Hibs in the cup.

G B Young
05-09-2019, 10:37 AM

The John McDonald dive.

Great list. I remember most of these well and that cup tie against United sticks in the mind. IIRC we were 1-0 up in either the first game or the first replay with seconds to go. The fog game against Dundee is also one a lot of folk remember. I seem to remember the crowd being bigger than 8k, but then 8k was a big crowd v Dundee in those days! Also seem to remember the highlights were on TV that night.

Keith_M
05-09-2019, 07:20 PM

We went to Parkhead near the end of the season with a record against them up to that point of:

Played 3, Won 2, Drew 1, Lost 0, GF 2, GA 0

Sadly, we lost that final match 6-0.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2019, 07:25 PM
When I attended my first game in the late eighties, Easter Road, like almost all Scottish stadia, was a dump. Ibrox had gone all seater and was years ahead of its time, but most grounds were terrible. The Old Celtic Park was a midden. I remember going to Love Street and thinking it must have been bombed very recently :greengrin. Fir Park was bad, as was the old Douglas Park.

Hibeesforever
05-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Happy days
I was 10 and remember the scarfs being held out of the window after that game, a big result indeed in front of a big Hibs support.

Ringothedog
05-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Stuart Turnbull wasn’t average he was absolutely dreadful, there were better players available in the cemetery across the road

WoreTheGreen
05-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Willie a friend and still jokes about when he had to step in for Best to keep Hibs in the cup.

Did Willie go to Australia then ending up working in a gents suit shop in Rose st

DaveSo
05-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Great list. I remember most of these well and that cup tie against United sticks in the mind. IIRC we were 1-0 up in either the first game or the first replay with seconds to go. The fog game against Dundee is also one a lot of folk remember. I seem to remember the crowd being bigger than 8k, but then 8k was a big crowd v Dundee in those days! Also seem to remember the highlights were on TV that night.

I remember the 1st replay vs Dundee United very well. We were one up in the last minute when Benny Brazil tried a longish back pass to the keeper to surely see the game out. Remember in them days the goalie could pick up a pass back so if he collected that pass and waste 20 seconds walking about the box before launching it down the slope then the game would be won.
But, Benny over hit the pass (which he did regular mind) and it went shooting out for a corner. Over came the corner and it was headed in. No time for a restart so it was a sickening draw and another tale of woe in our hunt for the Scottish Cup.
I remember being truly gutted at that game.
We all had big hopes for the 2nd replay which was at home after we won the toss of a coin for home advantage. That game might even have been on a Monday night.
Huge crowd for that game but we were well beat 3-0 and another punt at at Cup glory was over.
Sickening.

Colr
05-09-2019, 08:42 PM
I still believe the disaster of early 80`s was as a result of the 79 cup final. If we had got the 100% penalty when Mcloy took out Colin Campbell in the last few minutes and we had won the cup, things would have been very different, but the hun referee though otherwise, still seething, HUN bassas.

****ing right!!

southsider
07-09-2019, 07:47 AM
I was 20 and took my young brother who was only 10. The Huns pelted our bus with stones and half bricks whilst the cops stood back. I told my brother to get under the seat whilst we stormed off the bus and set about the Huns. Only then did the cops move in. Lucky it was May as the bus had hardly a window left intact. Even 40 years later I know in my heart we were robbed off that last minute penalty. Aly McLeod had ice in his veins and would have scored, off that I have no doubt.

FilipinoHibs
07-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Fir a while the decapitated East had no roof. Can't remember for how long.

FilipinoHibs
07-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Yes Celtic goalie was overweight and slow in going down for almost all our goals. My oldest boy's first game was when Goram scored. Just after half time he was sick with eating snacks. I remember taking him to the tunnel because I'd lost the house keys��. He was hooked!

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Yes Celtic goalie was overweight and slow in going down for almost all our goals. My oldest boy's first game was when Goram scored. Just after half time he was sick with eating snacks. I remember taking him to the tunnel because I'd lost the house keys��. He was hooked!

https://youtu.be/uqvQTxKp5Ag

Hmmm!

Did not think that at the time but looking back on the highlights you have a point

Balance that out with Celtics usual soft penalty award with five minutes left at 3-2 and things about balance out

Joe Joe Super Joes crossfield pass to Bomber Harris to lay on the winner for” Eddie May a star is born “ is a thing of beauty

https://youtu.be/0kpJfqKR9k0

Keith_M
07-09-2019, 09:52 AM
https://youtu.be/0kpJfqKR9k0

Thirty Five years ago and the stand behind the goals looks as empty as it does now.

Who says we don't keep our traditions!

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Thirty Five years ago and the stand behind the goals looks as empty as it does now.

Who says we don't keep our traditions!

Agree!

Perhaps we should move the Singing Section there :greengrin

wallpaperman
07-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Here’s one that goes back way further than the 80’s and was commonplace at a lot of grounds - the half time scoreboard at the Dunbar End.

Each game had a letter that would correspond to a list in the programme and from that you could decipher the half time scores, assume it boosted programme sales to an extent.

Died out of course, was a bit silly when you think about it.

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Here’s one that goes back way further than the 80’s and was commonplace at a lot of grounds - the half time scoreboard at the Dunbar End.

Each game had a letter that would correspond to a list in the programme and from that you could decipher the half time scores, assume it boosted programme sales to an extent.

Yip!

Mentioned that and the old guy that used to walk around the track with the blackboard with the Lucky Programme numbers and everyone used to throw pies at it

I can still hear the gasps from some of the half time scores from other grounds

Do you remember the wee converted lawnmower thing that two Apprentice footballers stood on that went around the ground to show off the Dryburgh and League Cups at half time during the Ayr United game or is that too far back? 😁

Brizo
07-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Early 80s was some of my favourite time watching Hibs even although we were going through one of the worst periods in my 50 plus years watching us. I wonder what the internet forums would have made of the likes of Billy McClaren :greengrin

Our place in the ground was the old standing north enclosure under the main stand, at the players tunnel end. Even when crowds were 4000 - 5000 , and they often were, that wee area of terracing was always packed , full of teenage and not so teenage radges. Happy days !

wallpaperman
07-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Do you remember the wee converted lawnmower thing that two Apprentice footballers stood on that went around the ground to show off the Dryburgh and League Cups at half time during the Ayr United game or is that too far back? 😁

Ha, sounds good, a little bit before my memory. Born in ‘69, my first ER memories are really from around 1976/77.

I sadly don’t remember Turnbull’s great teams. Do vaguely remember Pat Stanton getting swapped for Jackie Mac, think my Dad was shocked by this, was that the general feeling or had it been on the cards?

I do, however, remember the glamorous Anglo Scottish Cup with some exciting ties against England’s elite.

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Ha, sounds good, a little bit before my memory. Born in ‘69, my first ER memories are really from around 1976/77.

I sadly don’t remember Turnbull’s great teams. Do vaguely remember Pat Stanton getting swapped for Jackie Mac, think my Dad was shocked by this, was that the general feeling or had it been on the cards?

I do, however, remember the glamorous Anglo Scottish Cup with some exciting ties against England’s elite.

Pat Stanton’s move to Celtic came out of the blue

I do not think he was getting on with Eddie Turnbull and Jock Stein always rated King Paddy very highly

No one could deny Pat a Scottish Cup medal and a league badge with Celtic

I felt sorry for Jackie MacNamara who had big boots to fill

He picked up an injury so fell under the radar but came back and proved to be a very good signing putting in years of sterling service and was a brilliant no nonsense tough tackling intelligent sweeper for Hibernian and is now a committed fan

Pat Stanton also picked up a bad injury and was forced to retire

HIBS beat Celtic 2-1 in Pat Stanton’s Testimonial game at Easter Road in 1978

HappyAsHellas
07-09-2019, 02:13 PM

I do not think he was getting on with Eddie Turnbull and Jock Stein always rated King Paddy very highly

He picked up an injury so fell under the radar but came back and proved to be a very good signing putting in years of sterling service and was a brilliant no nonsense tough tackling intelligent sweeper for Hibernian and is now a committed fan

I think the move came after Jackie was alleged to have written an article for the Morning Star - the communist newspaper, and Celtic wanted to get rid off him pronto.

SideBurns
07-09-2019, 02:49 PM
I started going in 1978, but my first away game was in 1980 at Dunfermline. Went on the MB Branch bus from Speirs Bar at Goldenacre. Hibs won 2-0, and I'm sure it was one of George Best's final gemmes for us; sadly I was too young to realise the significance. Still recall the excitement on the Saturday morning though! As the Tremeloes sang: "Even the bad times are good" 😁

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2019, 02:50 PM
I think the move came after Jackie was alleged to have written an article for the Morning Star - the communist newspaper, and Celtic wanted to get rid off him pronto.

Aye

We seem to attract them

We also had Eric (The Rebel) Stevenson something to do with a contract with the Hearts but who can blame him

Things worked out just fine for Jackie Mac

SideBurns
07-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Jackie Mac was one of my favourite players as a laddie. I had missed put on the TTs so didn't have to compare him to Pat. However, Jackie was a classy, 100% committed player in his own right, and it's a tribute to him that he won the Hibs fans over.

Yorkshire HFC
07-09-2019, 03:32 PM
McNamara and McLeod - even in the bad times, at least we had those two.

heretoday
07-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Early 80s and now. A few cups? It's nothing really.

I must be mad following this.

Keith_M
07-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Early 80s and now. A few cups? It's nothing really.

I must be mad following this.

I don't think it's compulsory but it does help.

Carheenlea
07-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Remember one occasion when the half times were read out over tannoy using the Letter System that only buying a programme could let you see the teams. Met with a chorus of booing and anger and didn't last very long!

wallpaperman
07-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Remember one occasion when the half times were read out over tannoy using the Letter System that only buying a programme could let you see the teams. Met with a chorus of booing and anger and didn't last very long!

I remember that as well! Probably the beginning of the end for that antiquated system.

Peevemor
07-09-2019, 05:55 PM

That was during the Kenny Waugh scoreboard era.

Ordinarily the half time scores were shown on the scoreboard (if it was working), then during one match they changed it to A 1-1, B 1-0, etc., all to much booing from the fans.

Then the guy came on the tannoy and said "Here are the half time scores. A 1-1, B 1-0...."

I thought there was going to be a riot.

Two minutes later they announced the scores normally.

Mixu62
08-09-2019, 07:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDR4X1fnhyc

just found this one on youtube.

Keith_M
08-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Fir a while the decapitated East had no roof. Can't remember for how long.

It was about a year

Perhaps we should move the Singing Section there :greengrin

You're a bad man, William

The Baldmans Comb
08-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Great memories and my very obscure one is of a Hibs groundsman who always wore a white bunnet.

Him and his crew would come on to the pitch at half time and while his lads would fork the pitch he would gaze into the crowd and wave to his mates.

One week we decided to wave 👋 in his direction and he just waved back thinking we were his mates.

Kept up this pretence for most of the remainder of the season and it made the sterile half time breaks amusing.

It may have been the early 1990's but I also distinctly remember half a season of pre pubescent cheerleaders who were hopeless.

Iggy Pope
08-09-2019, 04:32 PM
McNamara and McLeod - even in the bad times, at least we had those two.

Pat Stanton said in public last night that Ally’s goal v Dundee was one of the two best he had ever witnessed at Easter Road. And he’s seen a few.

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2019, 04:22 AM
Pat Stanton said in public last night that Ally’s goal v Dundee was one of the two best he had ever witnessed at Easter Road. And he’s seen a few.
Might be wrong but that could only be the one where he scored direct from a free kick and the Ref said “Take it again the wa wisnae ready” and he put it in the opposite corner

Glory Glory!!

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2019, 04:40 AM
Worth mentioning Ralph Callachans solo effort versus Dundee on 25/8/1979 in a 5-2 win where he beat half the Dundee team before scoring Ally MacLeod shouted to him “ pass the ball ya greedy barsteward Oh great goal!”

Spike Mandela
09-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Started going to Easter road when I was 10 in 1975 and it seemed the most glamorous, exciting place in the world. Seen the tail end of the tornadoes, Best, the Scandinavian pair the 1979 cup final and even remember beating Hearts occasionally.

As the 80’s came in I was getting older and suddenly everything seemed more interesting than Easter road. Playing football on a Saturday, music, gigs, college, drink, girls, clubbing and politics all taking a turn as my number one interest. I fell out of love with Hibs, football in general, relegation, poor teams and the dilapidated Easter Road.

Once in a while I would pop down to games with friends and the league cup final sticks out as a moment of hope crushed by the then almighty Aberdeen.

It took moving to Alloa in 1987 and joining the local Hibs bus to rekindle my interest. Been an ever present in my life since then with some truly memorable experiences but reading through this thread I realise how much of Hibs was lost to me at that time. It truly feels like a ghost town in my memory.

The early 80’s was probably the most vibrant time in my life but it just didn’t really have Hibs in it.

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Because I was growing into a teen in the 80's, I loved every second of watching Hibs. Loved going to games it was what I lived for. 1st European away game in 89. Loved it, still do, but I take defeats far worse these days. Maybe because I drank in the late 80s and blocked it out ?

PaulSmith
09-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Formative years in the 80s, being a member of Willie Mcewan’s Hibs Kids with Sue McLernan who’s still helping out, attending mid week reserve games and volunteering to be a ball boy up
the east terrace.

Memories include being part of the “Boghead Armada” for a relegation decider in 84, being a mascot in 85, celebrating at ER as news filtered through that Kidd has scored twice at Dens, starting to go to games on my own with the amazing guys from Gyle/Goram Travel (best bus in town!), the whole casual scene kicking off. Umbro and Adidas’s kits, not beating “them”, League cup final in 85/86.. loved it all.

I think Hibs were a general mirror image of Scotland/Edinburgh at the time, lack of investment during the good times, a lot of anger kicking about but always a sense of loyalty and pride.

weecounty hibby
09-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Started going to Easter road when I was 10 in 1975 and it seemed the most glamorous, exciting place in the world. Seen the tail end of the tornadoes, Best, the Scandinavian pair the 1979 cup final and even remember beating Hearts occasionally.

As the 80’s came in I was getting older and suddenly everything seemed more interesting than Easter road. Playing football on a Saturday, music, gigs, college, drink, girls, clubbing and politics all taking a turn as my number one interest. I fell out of love with Hibs, football in general, relegation, poor teams and the dilapidated Easter Road.

Once in a while I would pop down to games with friends and the league cup final sticks out as a moment of hope crushed by the then almighty Aberdeen.

It took moving to Alloa in 1987 and joining the local Hibs bus to rekindle my interest. Been an ever present in my life since then with some truly memorable experiences but reading through this thread I realise how much of Hibs was lost to me at that time. It truly feels like a ghost town in my memory.

The early 80’s was probably the most vibrant time in my life but it just didn’t really have Hibs in it.

Wait a minute!! Playing football on a Saturday - you were pish! Music, gigs - you were onto Simple Minds🙉, college - chemistry💤, drink! Even after years of practice you are still rubbish at that. Girls? Less said about some of your exes the better. Clubbing, worst dancer ever seen. Politics? Your wife is the real political animal in your house. So you have no excuse for missing that great time in our proud history!! It's good that it was the Alloa boys who showed you the way back though!!

Spike Mandela
09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Wait a minute!! Playing football on a Saturday - you were pish! Music, gigs - you were onto Simple Minds🙉, college - chemistry💤, drink! Even after years of practice you are still rubbish at that. Girls? Less said about some of your exes the better. Clubbing, worst dancer ever seen. Politics? Your wife is the real political animal in your house. So you have no excuse for missing that great time in our proud history!! It's good that it was the Alloa boys who showed you the way back though!!

Cheeky *******.....correct on all counts though.😂

FilipinoHibs
10-09-2019, 08:14 AM

The early eighties were character forming for being a Hibs fan. Makes one more patient and accepting of the current situation. The watershed was Farmer saving us. Been in an upward spiral since with the occasional blips.

The Captain....
10-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Great thread this..really brings back some fond memories. Going to the football in the 80s was rough and ready but it was some laugh. The new stadiums were inevitable but it's a much more sterile atmosphere these days.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
10-09-2019, 12:07 PM
The early eighties were character forming for being a Hibs fan. Makes one more patient and accepting of the current situation. The watershed was Farmer saving us. Been in an upward spiral since with the occasional blips.

Arf!!!!!

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Great games Great victories Great memories

https://youtu.be/dDR4X1fnhyc