PDA

View Full Version : When Hecky was appointed -

Sammy7nil
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Before Hecky was appointed like all clubs Hibs came out and said they were inundated with numerous quality well experienced applicants.

It appears we narrowed it down to two Hecky and Appleton.

Does anyone know roughly how many genuine applications we received and if the final two did appear to be the best or did they fall in to young upcoming managers within our budget?

Who else did we bump not that I want them but for arguments sake did Goodwin or Captain Cave man say they would be interested? Did we automatically turn down Scottish candidates?

I guess the answer is only those at the top within the club will know.

calumhibee1
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Before Hecky was appointed like all clubs Hibs came out and said they were inundated with numerous quality well experienced applicants.

Does anyone know roughly how many genuine applications we received and if the final two did appear to be the best or did they fall in to young upcoming managers within our budget?

Who else did we bump not that I want them but for arguments sake did Goodwin or Captain Cave man say they would be interested? Did we automatically turn down Scottish candidates?

Somebody will be along soon claiming to know :greengrin

Sammy7nil
01-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Ha ha I know Becky but I don't know how to change the title :greengrin

madhatter
01-09-2019, 08:07 PM
No idea but I’m sure Leeann said we had many applicants. She did not seem as convincing as when Lennon took the job though. We’ll have had close to a hundred applicants though taking a guess. A football club like Hibs is appealing especially those that want Head Coach role. Still not sure why we haven’t investigated a foreign coach (if we haven’t).

bingo70

Lee Bullen, currently Sheffield Wednesday caretaker manager and Scott Gemmill were other names in the media at the time.

Hibernia&Alba
I thought the female manager thread had come to fruition a bit quick!

Hi Heid Yin
02-09-2019, 01:30 AM
Gordon Strachan, Alan Stubbs, Lee Clark, Scot Gemmill and Graham Arnold are all in with a shout of the post: So said The Express on Jan 30th.

Gary Holt, Paul Clement, Gary Rowett, Mark Warburton and Stubbsy, were also mentioned/linked in The Daily Record (Jan 26th)

Interestingly, Michael Appleton cited "Hibs lack of ambition!" as being the reason he did not take the Hibs job.

houstonhibbee
02-09-2019, 01:48 AM
Gordon Strachan, Alan Stubbs, Lee Clark, Scot Gemmill and Graham Arnold are all in with a shout of the post: So said The Express on Jan 30th.

Gary Holt, Paul Clement, Gary Rowett, Mark Warburton and Stubbsy, were also mentioned/linked in The Daily Record (Jan 26th)

Interestingly, Michael Appleton cited "Hibs lack of ambition!" as being the reason he did not take the Hibs job.
That niggles away at me. I do think we lack ambition in that we are very cautious. I think the manner of the defeat at tynecastle was when Lennon realized he had taken us as raw as we would go and gave up after the last hurrah against rangers in the last game of the season

CloudSquall
02-09-2019, 10:12 AM
. I think the manner of the defeat at tynecastle was when Lennon realized he had taken us as raw as we would go

Ooh matron!!!!

:greengrin

FilipinoHibs
02-09-2019, 10:19 AM
That niggles away at me. I do think we lack ambition in that we are very cautious. I think the manner of the defeat at tynecastle was when Lennon realized he had taken us as raw as we would go and gave up after the last hurrah against rangers in the last game of the season

That was his crap tactics.

FilipinoHibs
02-09-2019, 10:21 AM

No it was his termination package. Just bull **** to cover the fact he was not certain himself of succeeding. Where is he now? West Brom under 23s coach. That is ambition.

HibeeHibernian4
02-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Lennon realised he could use “ambition” (a horrible, New Labour-speak sort of word by the way) to cover up for his massive tactical failings that night. Dropped Maclaren who then scored a hat trick four days later against Rangers. Instead of owning that he threw a tantrum about players’ footwear and questioned publicly whether he’d still be with us next season. Well done Neil! Prick.

Cataplana
02-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Lennon realised he could use “ambition” (a horrible, New Labour-speak sort of word by the way) to cover up for his massive tactical failings that night. Dropped Maclaren who then scored a hat trick four days later against Rangers. Instead of owning that he threw a tantrum about players’ footwear and questioned publicly whether he’d still be with us next season. Well done Neil! Prick.

The thing I liked about Neil was that he would throw tantrums, but would also apologise when he caught onto himself.

Springbank
02-09-2019, 01:58 PM
The thing I liked about Neil was that he would throw tantrums, but would also apologise when he caught onto himself.

I think that's taking the whitewash a bit too far

That night at Tynecastle he threw Dylan McGeough under a bus (telling the press "Dylan's leaving" when even 2 months later McGeough was undecided). Nice, Neil.

Lennon also then went hiding for 4 days, leaving Garry Parker to face the music & try to patch up the squad.

In that one instance he took a lot of time to catch onto himself, and you couldn't have that on a regular basis

Cataplana
02-09-2019, 04:28 PM
I think that's taking the whitewash a bit too far

That night at Tynecastle he threw Dylan McGeough under a bus (telling the press "Dylan's leaving" when even 2 months later McGeough was undecided). Nice, Neil.

Lennon also then went hiding for 4 days, leaving Garry Parker to face the music & try to patch up the squad.

In that one instance he took a lot of time to catch onto himself, and you couldn't have that on a regular basis

It's possible I was over generous in my analysis.

Sammy7nil
02-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Gemmill, Strachan and Warburton would all have got my vote ahead of Becky but I suppose it is all speculation and unlikely any of those were serious contenders.

lyonhibs
02-09-2019, 04:36 PM

If a one off defeat to a Craig Levein Hearts team led him to chuck in the towel, then the ambition deficit lay very much with Neil Lennon, not Hibs. He's used to winning most games relatively easily in Scotland and had no scooby how to get things back on track once the wheels started looking a bit shaky. Great for us in stretches, but I don't think the "Hibs and Lennon" relationship was built to last

Speedway
02-09-2019, 04:40 PM
The challenge was to continue the upward Spiral.

Stubbs was a big name as a player who played attacking football and knew the Scottish game.

Lennon was a much bigger name who played attacking football, won silverware, knew Scottish football and had Champions League experience.

Paul Heckingbottom and Michael Appleton were two no marks as players or managers, neither knew the Scottish game and the one we chose has demonstrated no obvious style of football other than slow and tired.

The fans expectations were built after we proved we could get Lennon and Lennon could attract his big name mates.

This which we see now, is the comedown.

The board or LD or whomever appointed him have got it wrong.

Dmas
02-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Stubbs was a big name as a player who played attacking football and knew the Scottish game.

Lennon was a much bigger name who played attacking football, won silverware, knew Scottish football and had Champions League experience.

Paul Heckingbottom and Michael Appleton were two no marks as players or managers, neither knew the Scottish game and the one we chose has demonstrated no obvious style of football other than slow and tired.

The fans expectations were built after we proved we could get Lennon and Lennon could attract his big name mates.

This knowing the Scottish game thing, do we play a different game to other people? There wasn’t much shouting about klopp not knowing the English game when Liverpool got him and Brendan Rodgers was pretty successful without being a expert in Scotland...and both weren’t exactly world beaters as players.

We’ve got it wrong with Hecky I agree but it doesn’t matter a jot where the next guy comes from or where he’s played as long as he’s better than what we have.

I’d actually like us to try a foreign coach, someone to take us away from the typical Scottish football thinking

emerald green
02-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Every managerial appointment carries a risk that it will not be successful. All the evidence is perfectly clear that PH appointment (like Butcher especially before him) has been a huge mistake imho.

The question is...what will the Board and new owner do about it?

Sammy7nil
02-09-2019, 06:46 PM
This knowing the Scottish game thing, do we play a different game to other people? There wasn’t much shouting about klopp not knowing the English game when Liverpool got him and Brendan Rodgers was pretty successful without being a expert in Scotland...and both weren’t exactly world beaters as players.

We’ve got it wrong with Hecky I agree but it doesn’t matter a jot where the next guy comes from or where he’s played as long as he’s better than what we have.

I’d actually like us to try a foreign coach, someone to take us away from the typical Scottish football thinking

I agree with all that other than the foreign coach stick with UK coach for me. Nothing against foreign coaches but I just don't think we have the quality of player available on our budget to play the "football" they may like us to play.

The Harp Awakes
02-09-2019, 06:50 PM

You can see Heck sounding impressive when interviewed and it's probably won LD over. Anyone can talk a good game.

What was a fact when appointed though, was that he was a very inexperienced coach with a patchy track record. Add in the fact he had no experience of Scottish football and likely little knowledge of it or Hibs, and it amounted to a very risky appointment.

Wind the clock forward 8 months and it looks like the gamble has backfired spectacularly. Handing out 2 to 3 year deals to a bunch of sub-standard duds may well have set us back 5 years.

We might need Ron now to step in to wield the axe and splash quite a bit cash, just to get us back on an even keel.

Speedway
02-09-2019, 07:11 PM

I understand your point but please read it in context.

At our level, knowing the Scottish game helps with relationships, press, networks, expectations, cultural nuance, etc.

Bobby's Cinema
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Gary Holt would be my choice by a distance.

ancient hibee
02-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Jim Duffy knew Scottish football inside out and was very popular with the media and had lots of contacts.That went well.

jacomo
03-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Remember that our ‘thorough recruitment process’ took three weeks.

It wasn’t just an interview over a cup of coffee at a motorway hotel.

Spudster
03-09-2019, 01:03 PM

:confused: He was a centre half and not a particularly attacking (or even ball playing) one IMO. He was out of Scotland 13 years when he came to us too.

J-C
03-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Jim Duffy knew Scottish football inside out and was very popular with the media and had lots of contacts.That went well.

And he filled the squad with Scottish lower league players which didn't turn out well

Sammy7nil
03-09-2019, 06:33 PM
:confused: He was a centre half and not a particularly attacking (or even ball playing) one IMO. He was out of Scotland 13 years when he came to us too.

He means he played attacking football as a manager :greengrin

Pretty Boy
03-09-2019, 06:39 PM
The recruitment process when appointing Heckingbottom was very thorough. Pretty much every issue that has been raised in recent weeks was covered. That's a fact.

It's entirely possible that our process was sound but the appointment just hasn't worked out. That happens in all workplaces at some point. Someone who has relevant experience and interviews well just aren't the right fit when they enter the working environment.

ancient hibee
03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
I think that when you employ someone who hasn't worked much recently(and he works in an industry where employment numbers in management/coaching areas has gone through the roof from a manager and the man with the magic sponge days at Arsenal to the manager of Albion Rovers having a couple of assistants)you have to wonder why that is.

J-C
03-09-2019, 07:20 PM
The recruitment process when appointing Heckingbottom was very thorough. Pretty much every issue that has been raised in recent weeks was covered. That's a fact.

It's entirely possible that our process was sound but the appointment just hasn't worked out. That happens in all workplaces at some point. Someone who has relevant experience and interviews well just aren't the right fit when they enter the working environment.

It looks like he's talked a great game but blagged his way to the job, probably telling them he's learnt fro his Leeds and Barnsley mistakes etc and Leeann et al have swallowed it, won't be the first or last time a manager has done this.

J-C
03-09-2019, 07:22 PM
I think that when you employ someone who hasn't worked much recently(and he works in an industry where employment numbers in management/coaching areas has gone through the roof from a manager and the man with the magic sponge days at Arsenal to the manager of Albion Rovers having a couple of assistants)you have to wonder why that is.

Did he not say he took time out to re evaluate himself and was waiting for the right club to come along, in other words nobody wanted his services.

calumhibee1
03-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Did he not say he took time out to re evaluate himself and was waiting for the right club to come along, in other words nobody wanted his services.

Or maybe he did take the time out to do just as he said? No? Let's just stick the boot in instead. :rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 07:24 PM
It looks like he's talked a great game but blagged his way to the job, probably telling them he's learnt fro his Leeds and Barnsley mistakes etc and Leeann et al have swallowed it, won't be the first or last time a manager has done this.

Exactly what I was going to post JC but what those people tend to do in my experience is surround themselves with good people and he has no even done that

Next!

Smartie
03-09-2019, 07:25 PM
And he filled the squad with Scottish lower league players which didn't turn out well

I don't have a problem with players coming from the lower leagues, even when there are a few of them. As long as they are standout players at that level, are young, and look like they've got what it takes to step up then I'm happy.

The problem with Duffy's signings was that the majority of them were plain crap. They were lower league journeymen who had done nothing special at their clubs and there was nothing to suggest they'd manage to make the step up.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 07:33 PM
I don't have a problem with players coming from the lower leagues, even when there are a few of them. As long as they are standout players at that level, are young, and look like they've got what it takes to step up then I'm happy.

The problem with Duffy's signings was that the majority of them were plain crap. They were lower league journeymen who had done nothing special at their clubs and there was nothing to suggest they'd manage to make the step up.
The same argument could be made for Heckys signings on performance to date????

Smartie
03-09-2019, 07:37 PM
The same argument could be made for Heckys signings on performance to date????

Yep, I think they deserve a chance to adapt to our game and show what they can do. My biggest concern with our signings are the 2 or 3 players we lack, not the ones we've signed.

It remains to be seen if these signings have the characteristics I described or not though. Early signs aren't brilliant, but they need time and a chance.

J-C
03-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Yep, I think they deserve a chance to adapt to our game and show what they can do. My biggest concern with our signings are the 2 or 3 players we lack, not the ones we've signed.

It remains to be seen if these signings have the characteristics I described or not though. Early signs aren't brilliant, but they need time and a chance.

Very true Smartie but at the moment it's looking like he has signed the same type of average lower league player Duffy did in the past, I'd love to be proved wrong though.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2019, 07:46 PM

My opinion hasn’t changed from Stirling Albion and it is now September

Granted we now have Doidge and Vela

I hope I am wrong

I honestly do

MikeyS
03-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Maybe no other club wanted him at the time but I know that there has been 2 different English clubs made enquiries to him since he's been here. Wasnt interested in either and it never went as far as an official approach to Hibs. Both him & us might regret that in the next few weeks.....

One Day Soon
03-09-2019, 08:53 PM

I loved having Lennon as our manager. I hope our next manager has some of his steel and stature.

LeithMike
03-09-2019, 09:01 PM

It's entirely possible that our process was sound but the appointment just hasn't worked out. That happens in all workplaces at some point. Someone who has relevant experience and interviews well just aren't the right fit when they enter the working environment.Fair point but in normal employment there's not much to go on other than an interview and some references. With football managers you have public records of past performance. That speaks more to me than performance at an interview. PH's record was mixed and so the chance of failure was relatively high.

I'd actually prefer that Hibs identified the manager they want and go head hunt them rather than inviting applications for the post. I've no idea who though!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Remember that our ‘thorough recruitment process’ took three weeks.

It wasn’t just an interview over a cup of coffee at a motorway hotel.

Probably because our first choice knocked us back, after we chased him for a while.

Smartie
04-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Probably because our first choice knocked us back, after we chased him for a while.

2 weeks, 6 and a half days........