PDA

View Full Version : Worst run of poor signings ever?

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Setting aside Allan who was not his singing, does Hecky have the record for number of players signed by a Hibs manager without even one looking like a ‘gem’. I can’t remember a Hibs manager signing so many without one (very) good one, even FenLOAN managed Claros who would walk into this midfield.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Setting aside Allan who was not his singing, does Hecky have the record for number of players signed by a Hibs manager without even one looking like a ‘gem’. I can’t remember a Hibs manager signing so many without one (very) good one, even FenLOAN managed Claros who would walk into this midfield.

Jim Duffy, Eddie Turnbull towards the end, John Hughes.

B.H.F.C
01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Five of them on the bench yesterday. Probably all on big money by our standards and a big fee paid for one of them. Joke.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Time will tell, I'd be very surprised if 2/3 didn't turn out to be good players.

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Duffy signed Chico who was brilliant. Hughes signed Stokes. Point is Hecky has signed no one who has made any significant impact!

The Modfather
01-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Worst run of signings since Lennon

Torto7
01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
He's hopeless. Another one of his baffling decisions was the article I read at the start of preseason. He was talking about how the Scottish game is a throw back and far more physical challenges are allowed up here compared to down south. He then signs the weakest bunch of players I've seen in a long time. How does that tie up with his observations on the league being physical.

The guy talks utter *****.

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 10:50 AM
This for me is the KEY aspect, managers live and die by signings and these 9 or 10 look poor with not one having an immediate impact which is very worrying given the volume of signings.

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Time will tell, I'd be very surprised if 2/3 didn't turn out to be good players.

Define ‘good’, any better than what we had? Doesn’t look like it as all the current squad largely starting in front of these new guys.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Duffy signed Chico who was brilliant. Hughes signed Stokes. Point is Hecky has signed no one who has made any significant impact!

Even a clock that has stopped is right twice a day. Charnley was brilliant then he wasn't.

However in terms of sheer volume of duds signed, you would have to go some to top Duff Jimmy, or Ned.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Define ‘good’, any better than what we had? Doesn’t look like it as all the current squad largely starting in front of these new guys.

Well, the Swedish lad would have to unbelievably bad to be a downgrade in central midfield. James will also be good. Jackson probably decent.

Box 17
01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
The concerning thing is Hecky clearly doesn't think much of his own signings and isn't playing them.

familyman
01-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Said it before we should have learnt from the past
but no.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Just thinking last night, how come we can't source players like Seedorf or Hylton? Excellent players, strong, direct, skilful?

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Just thinking last night, how come we can't source players like Seedorf or Hylton? Excellent players, strong, direct, skilful?

Based on one match? I've seen Boyle and Horgan play better in one game than that.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Based on one match? I've seen Boyle and Horgan play better in one game than that.

Have you? When?

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I would not be letting him spend another penny that’s for sure especially if we end up getting rid. He’s already talking about the next window FFS!

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Have you? When?

Eh, seriously? How about when Horgan scored twice at Tynecastle? Boyle has had many, many good games for Hibs, terrorising defenders.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Horgans only claim to fame this season, Boyle's been injured most of the season.

jeffers
01-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Not sure if they are the worst signings, but I’m struggling to think of a group have had less initial impact.

tamig
01-09-2019, 12:28 PM

How do you know they weren’t recommended to the manager by our recruitment team?

Hibernia&Alba
Not one of them has impressed me so far. It's a huge concern.

jacomo

:agree:

And not every signing works out. Stubbs signed a few who flopped but that gets (rightly) forgotten because of the ones that did.

This thread is honking.

Captain Trips
01-09-2019, 12:32 PM
I have no idea whether his signings are good or bad as yet as players who were here already are also not doing well enough.

This looks more tactical and setup.

Weegreenman
01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Five of them on the bench yesterday. Probably all on big money by our standards and a big fee paid for one of them. Joke.

A bit of a head scratcher as to why five new signings would be sat on the bench, especially when you consider how many injuries we currently have.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
How do you know they weren’t recommended to the manager by our recruitment team?

He’s not the manager. What’s the point in the recruitment team? For the head coach to say nah your ortie to?

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 12:34 PM
A bit of a head scratcher as to why five new signings would be sat on the bench, especially when you consider how many injuries we currently have.

I don’t think any of them will start the derby.

jeffers
01-09-2019, 12:34 PM
:agree:

And not every signing works out. Stubbs signed a few who flopped but that gets (rightly) forgotten because of the ones that did.

This thread is honking.

Agree not every signing will work out but when the best you get from the more optimistic posters is that 2-3 might be decent, it’s hardly a ringing endorsement of the quality of player we have brought in.

tamig
01-09-2019, 12:39 PM
He’s not the manager. What’s the point in the recruitment team? For the head coach to say nah your ortie to?

They’re a tool for the HC/manager to use. He is the manager in all but name and has the final say. He’s done his own thing this summer.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 12:41 PM
They’re a tool for the HC/manager to use. He is the manager in all but name and has the final say. He’s done his own thing this summer.

Wouldn’t that usually be scouts? Why are we paying a lot to this recruitment team who don’t seem to be doing much at all at this rate? Lennon got his own players and now Hecky, surely that’s another complete waste of money?

wookie70
01-09-2019, 12:46 PM
The signings have been disappointing so far but there is time for them to improve. None have looked horrendous but all have failed to make a big impact. Perhaps that has to do with playing in a team lacking confidence. Lennon had quite a few windows and lots of his signings failed to impress. The one thing that does baffle me is Heck seems to have a style he wants to play and teh signings don't fit in with that for me. I can't see Doidge and Newell being brilliant at a high press. James doesn't look like he has the energy of a pre injury Stevenson. Vela is nowhere near the engine of a mcGinn never mind the ability etc. Lennon looked like he was bringing in random players for much of his time, rolling the dice if you like. Heck seems to have carried that on. What needs to be asked is what were we doing when Stubbs was recruiting that we aren't now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2019, 12:48 PM

I don't but was just comparing them to the garbage we've signed.

judas
01-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Jim Duffy signings were criminal.

Heck’s signings may be unsatisfactory on balance but nothing compared with Tall Pish, David Elliot and Lee Power.

Keith_M
01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Setting aside Allan who was not his (signing), does Hecky have the record for number of players signed by a Hibs manager without even one looking like a ‘gem’. I can’t remember a Hibs manager signing so many without one (very) good one, even FenLOAN managed Claros who would walk into this midfield.

Nah.

thebausburst
01-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Jim Duffy signings were criminal.

Heck’s signings may be unsatisfactory on balance but nothing compared with Tall Pish, David Elliot and Lee Power.

Tall Pish still managed 22 in 74 games, fancy Doidge to get that ?

tamig
01-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Wouldn’t that usually be scouts? Why are we paying a lot to this recruitment team who don’t seem to be doing much at all at this rate? Lennon got his own players and now Hecky, surely that’s another complete waste of money?

Scouting is part of the team’s remit. They do an awful lot of it too. Like I and others have said, their role is to take the manager’s requirements, identify players and provide the names to him. It’s then over to him.

G B Young
01-09-2019, 02:55 PM
John Collins signed several ineffective players once the golden generation broke up after the League Cup win in 2007, although IIRC he did present the board with a list of players he felt Hibs needed to take the next step (including Naismith, who was a free-scoring Killie starlet at the time). They were, to be fair to the board, probably way beyond our budget, but we ended up instead with a group of bang average players and after several years of solid progress we embarked on half a dozen years of mediocrity which culminated in relegation.

TelaStella
01-09-2019, 03:42 PM

From what I’ve heard from a source very close to the club, all the signings this season have been on his call and his call only. I think the fact they’ve all came from lower league England speaks for itself anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crab apple
01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
From what I’ve heard from a source very close to the club, all the signings this season have been on his call and his call only. I think the fact they’ve all came from lower league England speaks for itself anyway.

Quite believable. He comes across in his interviews as someone who thinks he knows best.

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Of his eight signings, one was injured. Two started and were among our poorest players on Saturday from what I saw on Hibs TV. His lack of confidence in the players he has signed, especially after spending £350,000 on a basketball player who acts like a striker, is really damning on his own eye for a player. He has IMO underestimated the league.

tonyrougier123
01-09-2019, 10:19 PM

I'm definitely not saying heckingbottom is a genius.
But by not playing the new signings is he actually trying to make a statement.?
Real questions need answered on recruitment either way.
And preferably quickly!

The last I read about mathie and craig was some sort of speed dating for football clubs looking for players, globetrotting working holiday.
That worked out well lads eh??

Captain Trips
01-09-2019, 10:22 PM

I want the manager to have the final call just have to make sure fit for purpose.

Vault Boy
01-09-2019, 10:25 PM
Well, the Swedish lad would have to unbelievably bad to be a downgrade in central midfield. James will also be good. Jackson probably decent.

Agree with this. Middleton too IMO.

Generally poor showings from Vela, Doidge and Newell thus far, but clearly there are systemic issues regarding tactics, as even players who have performed for us previously are struggling. (Mallan, Stevenson, Hanlon, Allan, Horgan, Marciano etc.)

tonyrougier123
01-09-2019, 10:26 PM
I want the manager to have the final call just have to make sure fit for purpose.

I find it hard to believe he signed these players and wont play them.
Doidge definitely was in our radar before heckingbottom came in.

Vault Boy
01-09-2019, 10:29 PM

The recruitment team have tracked Newell, James, Doidge and Hallberg for ages, many before Heckingbottom was even appointed. We wanted to sign Newell under Lennon IIRC.

He gets the final say, but it's definitely not his call only in regards to the shortlist etc, just in case some folks pick it up that way. The same was true for Stubbs and Lennon.

badabing67
01-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Yeah I think James, Vela & Halberg will turn out good signings, not sure about Jackson. Don't think PHB will get the best out of any of them though. Think Middleton will do a job for us over the course of the season. Think Horgan & Mallan are the biggest problem in the midfield, such a disappointing start to the season from both of them. They both have a season under there belt and I don't think either of them have improved in their time here

judas
02-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Tall Pish still managed 22 in 74 games, fancy Doidge to get that ?

He played 22 times for hibs and got 2 goals.

allezsauzee
02-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Aside from Scott Allan and the players that have had 4 league matches or less to prove themselves , every single one of Hecky's signing have been proven to be awful :rolleyes: