PDA

View Full Version : Same old Hibs, or is it....

Steve88
01-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Throwing in my two pence worth here because this club is at a crucial turning point. Listening to many of the fans and reading between the lines of what the fans have been saying over the past several weeks I've been trying to work out if this is a return to "same old Hibs" - short term success followed by a long term return to mediocrity...

LD has made it clear several times over the summer that the expectations of Hibernian FC is a top 4 finish, challenging for Europe and good cup runs; all on a consistent basis - This was reiterated when the clubs new owner arrived signalling the clubs aim hasn't changed as a result of coming under new ownership.

If the board is serious about this, serious about Hibs cementing themselves as a top 4 club, changing the image of a club as a consistent competitive force in Scotland then they'll act on any continued underperformance by the current and/or any manager who does not meet these standards. My interpretation of the the boards decision to remove Lennon (not entirely a results based decision) signals the board are serious about achieving this for the club

We've been spoilt over the last few years and achieving objectives is never as easy as getting from A-B, as is being evidenced. I have faith that the club are serious about making the club a consistent force in Scottish football, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise. However, if we see performances/results which do not meet these standards being tolerated, then this will signal a shift in the clubs aims/goals and a return to mediocrity it would seem.

Real Emerald
01-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Throwing in my two pence worth here because this club is at a crucial turning point. Listening to many of the fans and reading between the lines of what the fans have been saying over the past several weeks I've been trying to work out if this is a return to "same old Hibs" - short term success followed by a long term return to mediocrity...

LD has made it clear several times over the summer that the expectations of Hibernian FC is a top 4 finish, challenging for Europe and good cup runs; all on a consistent basis - This was reiterated when the clubs new owner arrived signalling the clubs aim hasn't changed as a result of coming under new ownership.

If the board is serious about this, serious about Hibs cementing themselves as a top 4 club, changing the image of a club as a consistent competitive force in Scotland then they'll act on any continued underperformance by the current and/or any manager who does not meet these standards. My interpretation of the the boards decision to remove Lennon (not entirely a results based decision) signals the board are serious about achieving this for the club

We've been spoilt over the last few years and achieving objectives is never as easy as getting from A-B, as is being evidenced. I have faith that the club are serious about making the club a consistent force in Scottish football, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise. However, if we see performances/results which do not meet these standards being tolerated, then this will signal a shift in the clubs aims/goals and a return to mediocrity it would seem.

LD has just said we've had a good transfer window. If she seriously believes that we're in trouble, if she's lying to us we're also in trouble. I hate corporate speak and spin and right now I feel that's what we're getting. I agree that we need to see actions now otherwise we will be tolerating failure again.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't say its the same old Hibs. The lack of perspective from some on here is reaching Picasso levels.

I have no doubt the club will put things right shortly. Personally alarm bells were ringing when we paid Forest Green money for a striker, but you have to give people a chance.

The willingness to destroy everything Hibs have achieved in the last five years, is sickening . It's outrageous that such myopic views hold sway .

Kaff
01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
LD has just said we've had a good transfer window. If she seriously believes that we're in trouble, if she's lying to us we're also in trouble. I hate corporate speak and spin and right now I feel that's what we're getting. I agree that we need to see actions now otherwise we will be tolerating failure again.

She acted quick with Butcher and given how Lennon first 2 seasons had gone I think his situation was dealt with quickly too.
She understands the game and I really hope she reacts quickly to this situation now, I understand entirely why she has spoken in good terms about the players recruited recently as to do otherwise would do nothing but harm to their chances of settling under a new manager or even getting picked up by other clubs later on.
Obviously he should already be gone but there is still time to correct things and a good coach will be able to steady things, Clarke did it at Killie without signing anyone.

Steve88
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Unfortunately corporate talk is part & parcel of LD's type of job. We'll very rarely ever hear them answer questions/issues directly however their answers - especially the wording - is often carefully thought out and can give us an incline into the boards thinking. It's something worth paying attention to over a period of time for any noticeable change in strategic direction of the club, to the up or down side

Results aside, I think a part of fans frustration/anxiety is down to a real fear that we will return to a mediocre team. Historically speaking you can understand why that fear exists. It's more important than ever that the fans hold the board accountable for meeting the goals/objectives set by the board themselves and challenge the board when they are not

Something I picked up from LD's Hibs TV interview is there did seem to be a shift in the recruitment strategy. Something along the lines of hiring a smaller,core group of players but of higher quality..... It sounds like the club has changed it's recruitment approach to some degree over the summer and I can only think that the rationale for this is to make it easier to introduce/bleed youth payers into a very high performing team - This would also somewhat compliment our new owners comments on youth development and perhaps what we are seeing here is part of this strategy...

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2019, 12:26 PM
I keep seeing the term "mediocrity" on here. This isn't "mediocrity", it's so much worse than that.

Steve88
01-09-2019, 01:11 PM
I keep seeing the term "mediocrity" on here. This isn't "mediocrity", it's so much worse than that.

The performance we're seeing is way below average. If this continues for even a few more games then, providing the board is serious about where it wants to take Hibs, I can't see PH lasting.

Jim44
01-09-2019, 01:36 PM

With a big effort, I think we are more than capable of achieving mediocrity. :greengrin

hibeerealist
01-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Hardly been spoilt, bad choice of words there Steve.

hibeerealist
01-09-2019, 02:01 PM

LOL :agree:

hibeerealist
01-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately corporate talk is part & parcel of LD's type of job. We'll very rarely ever hear them answer questions/issues directly however their answers - especially the wording - is often carefully thought out and can give us an incline into the boards thinking. It's something worth paying attention to over a period of time for any noticeable change in strategic direction of the club, to the up or down side

Results aside, I think a part of fans frustration/anxiety is down to a real fear that we will return to a mediocre team. Historically speaking you can understand why that fear exists. It's more important than ever that the fans hold the board accountable for meeting the goals/objectives set by the board themselves and challenge the board when they are not

Something I picked up from LD's Hibs TV interview is there did seem to be a shift in the recruitment strategy. Something along the lines of hiring a smaller,core group of players but of higher quality..... It sounds like the club has changed it's recruitment approach to some degree over the summer and I can only think that the rationale for this is to make it easier to introduce/bleed youth payers into a very high performing team - This would also somewhat compliment our new owners comments on youth development and perhaps what we are seeing here is part of this strategy...

Sorry Ron, “hiring a smaller, core group of players but of higher quality” not seeing that with this window!!