PDA

View Full Version : Ryan porteous

rotherhamrob
01-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Has been an unused sub the last couple of games.
My question is that if he isn't fit enough to start or even come on as a sub, then why are we letting him go away with the under 21's?
The manager has said that it'll be good for him to get some game time with them, so why hasn't he been getting some with us?
We need players like Ryan on the pitch because at least he would show some passion and not back down.
Who are our leaders just now?
I'd say mcgregor and Ryan would be the only ones who you'd want beside you in adversity.

Centre Hawf
01-09-2019, 09:42 AM
I think we just purely don't want another Martin Boyle situation, let him get some minutes in the youth squad and get the legs moving and build the fitness back up. If a situation does occur where we need to play him then he's there as a last resort but until we're all satisfied he's ready to go then we shouldn't play him imo. Would do worse for the laddies long term health if some hatchet man left the boot into him and done his knee again when it's not quite ready. Or more likely when he goes flying into his first rash tackle and comes off worse.

rotherhamrob
01-09-2019, 09:51 AM
I think we just purely don't want another Martin Boyle situation, let him get some minutes in the youth squad and get the legs moving and build the fitness back up. If a situation does occur where we need to play him then he's there as a last resort but until we're all satisfied he's ready to go then we shouldn't play him imo. Would do worse for the laddies long term health if some hatchet man left the boot into him and done his knee again when it's not quite ready. Or more likely when he goes flying into his first rash tackle and comes off worse.

I agree but the same could happen when he's away with the under 21's.

Greenbeard
01-09-2019, 09:55 AM
If that is the case why was he playing against Newcastle over a month ago? Don't recall any reports of further injury after his sub appearance. If he is not ready now he sure as hell wasn't ready over a month ago.
Way things are going I'd stick him in as DM, half fit or not!!

Heckys Wheel
01-09-2019, 10:12 AM
The way things are going I’m happy for him to stay as an unused sub until the manager is away. Not being a part of the **** show can only be good for him.

IrnBru22
01-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Lennon started him away to Motherwell last season and he went off injured after the first time he stretched for the ball (it wasn’t even a tackle). Let’s not rush him back.

Kaff
01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
With the lack of cover in front of the defence and the way opposition seem to have a free reign running at the back 4 I'd be worried that Porteous would be frustrated and dive into challenges with that tendency to be rash that he has, this isn't the equivalent of coming in next to a cool head like Efe.
I'm happy he's held back and hopefully a new manager can come in quickly and start a rebuild with Ryan as a key part of that, Heckingbottom was fortunate to have Millligan last season but he's hung the defence out to dry and I'm afraid he obviously doesn't even seem to realise it.
Short term solution is to play Whittaker in front of the defence and, as someone else suggested, Vela at RB. There has to be some cover to allow runners getting picked up, both wide and more alarmingly the number that break through between CB and FB

Centre Hawf
01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
I agree but the same could happen when he's away with the under 21's.

It could. But I imagine it's less likely perhaps due to maybe slower tempo and not as full blooded as going against 30 year old men. Same as the Newcastle game, it's a pre season friendly so the likelihood of having to go full blooded into 50/50's just isn't there and no ones going to try and leave nasty tackles on a player coming back from injury.

Robbo6-2
01-09-2019, 11:36 AM
A half fit Porteous is better than a huddy that couldnt get a game for Barnsley in ******g league 1.

He needs to get back in now.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 11:37 AM
The way things are going I’m happy for him to stay as an unused sub until the manager is away. Not being a part of the **** show can only be good for him.

This.

ahibby
01-09-2019, 11:40 AM
This.

Would rather he gets up to speed with u21s. If he gets through that we will see him get game time for us.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 11:41 AM

So being sidelined for ever longer will be good for him? Seriously??

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Would rather he gets up to speed with u21s. If he gets through that we will see him get game time for us.

Yeah, me too ideally it would be better for him to come into some sort of settled defence too but can’t see it.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 11:50 AM
So being sidelined for ever longer will be good for him? Seriously??

There’s reserve games. It won’t wreck his confidence there.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 11:51 AM
There’s reserve games. It won’t wreck his confidence there.

He is at the wrong club if a few losses in the first team will wreck is confidence. Absolute bull****, if he improves the team get him in. Honestly never heard anything so daft.

Robbo6-2
01-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Hes the best young Scottish centre half.

He has no issues with confidence. Get him in the side hes our best centre half by a country mile

1875-Hibernia
01-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Personally I’m glad Porteous isn’t starting right now. He may not have any issues with confidence, but the lack of support and cover from our midfield is terrifying and it will do nothing to improve his game watching Marciano picking the ball out the net several times a match.

I was also gutted when Efe left as he was a great model for Porteous to be around. Unfortunately he’s not going to get the same experience through Hanlon and McGregor. As we seen with Mackie being let down by the senior players at the club against The Rangers.

Imo leave him out just now and let him work on his fitness. Once the midfield is sorted then bring him in and work the defence around him.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 03:48 PM
He is at the wrong club if a few losses in the first team will wreck is confidence. Absolute bull****, if he improves the team get him in. Honestly never heard anything so daft.

If he’s in a side with no confidence he’s hardly going to be confident as **** is he?

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
I've heard that Heckingbottom doesn't like Porteous, but not sure why. Disgraceful that a personal grudge is harming us and stops our best centreback playing. I love him, he's a really committed player, good on the ball and Hibs daft
Get him in the team!

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 03:54 PM
I've heard that Heckingbottom doesn't like Porteous, but not sure why. Disgraceful that a personal grudge is harming us and stops our best centreback playing. I love him, he's a really committed player, good on the ball and Hibs daft
Get him in the team!

Would you consider waiting to find out if there is any truth in a speculative rumour before viewing it as disgraceful ?

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Would you consider waiting to find out if there is any truth in a speculative rumour before viewing it as disgraceful ?

I will apologise for it if it is wrong. It's disgraceful if true though.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Porteous has only just come back from a horrendous injury...isn’t it much much more likely that the manager and sport scientists don’t feel he has been quite ready for first team competitive action? Looking after the player’s long term needs?

Also ...he has potential to be a top player - but actually he is still Pretty raw and learning the game ..

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Porteous has only just come back from a horrendous injury...isn’t it much much more likely that the manager and sport scientists don’t feel he has been quite ready for first team competitive action? Looking after the player’s long term needs?

Also ...he has potential to be a top player - but actually he is still Pretty raw and learning the game ..

Considering he has played a few Development Squad games I'd suspect he is ready. I'd have him in ahead of any of our other centrebacks as he is much better, no matter how raw he is.

My_Wife_Camille
01-09-2019, 04:24 PM

I heard the exact same thing about Hecky and Porto from a former player last season

ahibby
01-09-2019, 04:24 PM

Youll be apologising then bcis PH will play him after the international break as long as he is injury free. Considering the length of his absence would anyone have played him instead of Jackson or Hanlon I wouldnt.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Considering he has played a few Development Squad games I'd suspect he is ready. I'd have him in ahead of any of our other centrebacks as he is much better, no matter how raw he is.

When he gets game time in the next few games , will you come on and apologise??

Paul1642
01-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Remember what happened to Alex Harris last time we had a young prospect retuning from Injury being hailed as the solution to all our problems. Let’s not rush this or place too much pressure on the boy (although in sure he can handle it based on what I have seen)

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 04:44 PM
I heard the exact same thing about Hecky and Porto from a former player last season

Porto wasn’t playing last season when PH came in...so tbh, I can’t take that seriously

He gave him minutes against Newcastle as soon as he was fit...I full expect him to get game time in the coming weeks..

Porto will no doubt be grumpy he is not getting minutes yet ..that’s understandable.

Let’s see what is being said if PH stays and Ryan is playing regularly

It’s as likely that we will never know if our manager gets punted. But posting a rumour like the one I initially replied to - and saying “it’s disgraceful”- with no substance to it - is not a helpful post imho ..

Crab apple
01-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Absolutely. IF Porto is fit he should be starting in the first team.

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Porto wasn’t playing last season when PH came in...so tbh, I can’t take that seriously

He gave him minutes against Newcastle as soon as he was fit...I full expect him to get game time in the coming weeks..

Porto will no doubt be grumpy he is not getting minutes yet ..that’s understandable.

Let’s see what is being said if PH stays and Ryan is playing regularly

It’s as likely that we will never know if our manager gets punted. But posting a rumour like the one I initially replied to - and saying “it’s disgraceful”- with no substance to it - is not a helpful post imho ..

Why haven't you voiced a similar post on the dressing room split thread which is definitely not helpful either? I've taken information I got and passed it on. Someone else has verified this and their source sounds more likely to be right than mine. Like I said, I'll apologise for it if Ryan Porteous starts a run of matches as I've only passed on information I heard which is what I think this forum is for.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Why haven't you voiced a similar post on the dressing room split thread which is definitely not helpful either? I've taken information I got and passed it on. Someone else has verified this and their source sounds more likely to be right than mine. Like I said, I'll apologise for it if Ryan Porteous starts a run of matches as I've only passed on information I heard which is what I think this forum is for.

There is nothing verified about this ...

Posting things you hear , without any decent substance, is not that great imho for this forum..particularly when things are not healthy ..it’s just another negative - when there is already plenty around

I’ve not really read the dressing room split thread tbh If it is random “heard this from a mate” stuff then I’d have the same view on that thread too....

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 05:31 PM
When he gets game time in the next few games , will you come on and apologise??

Why would he? He’s only passing on what he’s heard.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Posting things you hear , without any decent substance, is not that great imho for this forum..particularly when things are not healthy ..it’s just another negative - when there is already plenty around

I’ve not really read the dressing room split thread tbh If it is random “heard this from a mate” stuff then I’d have the same view on that thread too....

Well it certainly looks like the dressing room isn’t exactly harmonic. If we win our next 2 games I’ll send you flowers and a card to apologise mate. The Porteous and Heckingbottom not getting on is a story that many have heard.

MikeyS
01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Well it certainly looks like the dressing room isn’t exactly harmonic. If we win our next 2 games I’ll send you flowers and a card to apologise mate. The Porteous and Heckingbottom not getting on is a story that many have heard.

I've not heard of any fall out like others are alluding to but it could be that Ryan isn't popular due to a recent visit to East Mains from the police regarding his behaviour in town? Definitely something in his non appearance so far this season.

Bright_Hibee
01-09-2019, 05:49 PM

I have no idea why you seem to have it in for me. Someone else has come on and said he's heard similar things from a first team player.

If posting things you've heard about the club, or even an opinion, isn't what this forum is for then can you let me know what it is for? Sorry if I've offended you with my post, just wanted to pass on information I've heard.

If Ryan Porteous starts the next five matches under Paul Heckingbottom then I'll come on and apologise as I'm not here to make enemies. I'm an exiled Hibee looking to be more involved in our community, no matter how far from home I am

superfurryhibby
01-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Risk of injury isn’t a factor in this? A game is a game and if he’s not ready to play it doesn’t matter what the level is, he shouldn’t be on the park. If fit enough to play any competitive match then surely Porteous only needs to get match fit, which is more about adjusting to the speed and power of first team games, not about whether the knee is ready to take the strain.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 08:01 PM
I have no idea why you seem to have it in for me. Someone else has come on and said he's heard similar things from a first team player.

If posting things you've heard about the club, or even an opinion, isn't what this forum is for then can you let me know what it is for? Sorry if I've offended you with my post, just wanted to pass on information I've heard.

If Ryan Porteous starts the next five matches under Paul Heckingbottom then I'll come on and apologise as I'm not here to make enemies. I'm an exiled Hibee looking to be more involved in our community, no matter how far from home I am

just because I don’t agree with your post ...doesn’t mean I have it in for you .there will be different opinions on here. It happens ..

FilipinoHibs
02-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Think only sub a central defender if on a booking or winning or losing easily with 20 to 30 minutes to go. Dont know if the synthetic pitch at Killie best place to start him.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2019, 05:43 AM
Think only sub a central defender if on a booking or winning or losing easily with 20 to 30 minutes to go. Dont know if the synthetic pitch at Killie best place to start him.

Got a weird premonition that that pitch gonna be Heckys next excuse if he is still here

The way things are going I am happy for young Ryan to be kept out of the process for the time being

:greengrin

JimBHibees
02-09-2019, 05:51 AM
Personally I’m glad Porteous isn’t starting right now. He may not have any issues with confidence, but the lack of support and cover from our midfield is terrifying and it will do nothing to improve his game watching Marciano picking the ball out the net several times a match.

I was also gutted when Efe left as he was a great model for Porteous to be around. Unfortunately he’s not going to get the same experience through Hanlon and McGregor. As we seen with Mackie being let down by the senior players at the club against The Rangers.

Imo leave him out just now and let him work on his fitness. Once the midfield is sorted then bring him in and work the defence around him.

Not sure Ryan could get two better professional role models than Darren and Paul. Was it not the other way round with Sean v Rangers?

JimBHibees
02-09-2019, 05:55 AM
I've not heard of any fall out like others are alluding to but it could be that Ryan isn't popular due to a recent visit to East Mains from the police regarding his behaviour in town? Definitely something in his non appearance so far this season.

Very disappointing to hear if that is true

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2019, 05:59 AM

Why would the police visit anyone's employers if they have been in trouble in town, what has it got to do with them? :confused:

JimBHibees
02-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Why would the police visit anyone's employers if they have been in trouble in town, what has it got to do with them? :confused:

Maybe been involved in a couple of minor things without being charged and they want his employer to try and influence him in some way, who knows.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Maybe been involved in a couple of minor things without being charged and they want his employer to try and influence him in some way, who knows.

Is that allowed, maybe i'm wrong but i've never heard of this before? :confused:

JimBHibees
02-09-2019, 06:15 AM
Is that allowed, maybe i'm wrong but i've never heard of this before? :confused:

I am guessing not even sure it would happen or indeed he has had any issues at all. Suppose it is possible if the club had a strong relationship with the police but not sure it would get out.

we are hibs
02-09-2019, 06:21 AM

It is do with off field stuff. Hes fit and ready to play.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Disappointing to hear if true

The only other scenario might be that there was no police presence at the time of any alleged incident but members of staff or witnesses might have said yes it was Ryan Porteous the HIBS player that gone and done it Officer and not being privy to his home address his place of work is the next port of call to follow up their enquiries. :confused:

1875-Hibernia
02-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Not sure Ryan could get two better professional role models than Darren and Paul. Was it not the other way round with Sean v Rangers?

Sorry I should’ve been more clear. I meant in terms of playing experience. As in my opinion Efe was levels above both others.

Not for me. Mackie is a young lad and got zero cover and from what I was watching there was no senior player in his ear giving advice during game.

JimBHibees
02-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Sorry I should’ve been more clear. I meant in terms of playing experience. As in my opinion Efe was levels above both others.

Not for me. Mackie is a young lad and got zero cover and from what I was watching there was no senior player in his ear giving advice during game.

Sean has to take responsibility for his actions in foolishly getting himself sent off. He will learn from that though.

MikeyS
02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

I'm not sure why this approach was taken mate but they definitely came in to speak to him regarding an incident in town. He must've been identified by someone afterwards.

As far as I'm aware there is no charges it was just a wee warning for future. Daft laddie stuff really.

1875-Hibernia
02-09-2019, 09:16 AM
Sean has to take responsibility for his actions in foolishly getting himself sent off. He will learn from that though.

I’m in full agreement with that. I still feel he was let down throughout the match and that Porteous won’t benefit long term by playing right now. Just my opinion though.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2019, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure why this approach was taken mate but they definitely came in to speak to him regarding an incident in town. He must've been identified by someone afterwards.

As far as I'm aware there is no charges it was just a wee warning for future. Daft laddie stuff really.

:aok:

3pm
02-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Couldn’t give two hoots about the polis, particularly if he done nowt wrong.

If he’s fit, it’s time to give him a shot again.