PDA

View Full Version : Hecky at Leeds

RIP
01-09-2019, 07:57 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-latest/leeds-united-and-paul-heckingbottom-a-relationship-which-never-caught-fire-1-9189212/amp

How much of that narrative chimes with Hibs fans right now?

Bob Box Fish
01-09-2019, 09:02 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-latest/leeds-united-and-paul-heckingbottom-a-relationship-which-never-caught-fire-1-9189212/amp

Heckingbottom’s ideas for changing that in this transfer window were relatively simple. Leeds were given a list of targets by him, featuring loan signings, free transfers and low-cost permanent deals; in all, an inexpensive plan.

Heckingbottom has mentioned on numerous of his interviews that’s what he done at hibs regarding his list.

Frightening that Dempster has done minimum due diligence on her man.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Heckingbottom’s ideas for changing that in this transfer window were relatively simple. Leeds were given a list of targets by him, featuring loan signings, free transfers and low-cost permanent deals; in all, an inexpensive plan.

Heckingbottom has mentioned on numerous of his interviews that’s what he done at hibs regarding his list.

What due diligence did she do?

Iain G
01-09-2019, 09:05 AM
What due diligence did she do?

I don't know but aparantley it's frightening!

J-C
01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Change the name Leeds to Hibernian and that's us right now, scary read.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 09:08 AM

What frightens me is how easy it is to frighten people their imaginations are running riot just now.

Pretty Boy
01-09-2019, 09:12 AM
That could have been written in the EEN last night. When it comes to the complaints Hibs fans have about him it ticks almost every box.

Pleyers reported to like him but no evidence of them playing for him on the park. Check. No indication that the system he talks about playing and the one we are actually witnessing is the same thing. Check. No real bond with the fans. Check. Games that matter lost with a whimper. Check. Absence of tangible progression in the style or conviction of football played. Check.

matty_f
01-09-2019, 09:14 AM
What frightens me is how easy it is to frighten people their imaginations are running riot just now.

:agree:

My_Wife_Camille
01-09-2019, 09:15 AM
That could have been written in the EEN last night. When it comes to the complaints Hibs fans have about him it ticks almost every box.

Pleyers reported to like him but no evidence of them playing for him on the park. Check. No indication that the system he talks about playing and the one we are actually witnessing is the same thing. Check. No real bond with the fans. Check. Games that matter lost with a whimper. Check. Absence of tangible progression in the style or conviction of football played. Check.
I had a similar chat with some mates on whatsapp last night and some of the similarities are striking. It wasn’t actually about this article but about tweets from Leeds fans and you honestly could have lifted them straight from here.

The if the quote about a managers contract only being about the severance package doesn’t get alarm bells ringing then nothing will.

Squirrel 1875
01-09-2019, 09:15 AM
“A contract, to a manager, is worth what the severance package is.”

Wow. We hired this man.

mayo hibee
01-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Leeds were given a list of targets by him, featuring loan signings, free transfers and low-cost permanent deals; in all, an inexpensive plan.

I can see how this approach might have appealed to Hibs given the financial restrictions of the Scottish game. The problem was his lack of knowledge of Scottish football, he signed players that would maybe have suited a mid table League 1 team but were no good to Hibs.

Our approach will always involve free transfers and inexpensive loan deals, but we need to be mainly looking at players that have just fallen short or haven't been given a fair chance at bigger clubs, such as the David Murphys and Leigh Griffiths of the game, not lower league journeymen.

There's always scope for bringing in one or two from the lower leagues, there is talent there if correctly scouted, but signing player after player from those divisions was never likely to work.

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Wow. We hired this man.

It was the reason talks with Appleton stalled as well by all accounts?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 09:27 AM
I can see how this approach might have appealed to Hibs given the financial restrictions of the Scottish game. The problem was his lack of knowledge of Scottish football, he signed players that would maybe have suited a mid table League 1 team but were no good to Hibs.

Our approach will always involve free transfers and inexpensive loan deals, but we need to be mainly looking at players that have just fallen short or haven't been given a fair chance at bigger clubs, such as the David Murphys and Leigh Griffiths of the game, not lower league journeymen.

There's always scope for bringing in one or two from the lower leagues, there is talent there if correctly scouted, but signing player after player from those divisions was never likely to work.

Spot on.

Bob Box Fish
01-09-2019, 09:32 AM
When I’m hiring people I cross reference their CV vs the company strategic goals / infrastructure.

A few questions that may have avoided our current predicament / failure:

How would you describe your time at Leeds and what was your biggest failure?

What have you learned from your mistakes?

What would you have done differently?

Having researched his previous ( did she? Clearly not) - at the club we have a recruitment policy XYZ... how would you fit in to this?

How would you adapt change into your fundamental philosophy if it’s not working?

What level would you say the Scottish Premiership is vs. The English league system?

How would you describe Scottish football?

What type of players do you feel are required at Hibernian?

How would others describe your management career thus far?

What is your biggest weakness / strength?

How would you manage a budget of X?

Iain G
01-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Which football club are you CEO of, and what successes can you point to in that field?

You missed out:

Do you like our pies?

And do you know how to work a turnstile?

Bob Box Fish
01-09-2019, 09:57 AM
You missed out:

Do you like our pies?

And do you know how to work a turnstile?

If you lack the intelligence to debate why bother pal.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Joking apart, can you demonstrate how your experience in whatever it is you do, transfers to being CEO of a football club?

Also, what insight do you hold into the due diligence that the club did do?

Finally, what is your experience of appointments that go wrong, and how did you rectify them?

emerald green
01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Did I/we just imagine having lost 11 goals in the first 4 league matches? It's not people's imaginations "running riot". The hard evidence is there on the pitch (and off it), and it's staring them right in the face.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Did I/we just imagine having lost 11 goals in the first 4 league matches? It's not people's imaginations "running riot". The hard evidence is there on the pitch (and off it), and it's staring them right in the face.

I was really talking about the flights of fantasy about the club bring in crisis. Sure there is a massive problem on the park, but people are now trying to suggest we are a basket case off the pitch.

Fact is we have had the best attendances for decades, and have left our closest rivals for dead, both in terms of results and how we do business.

Some people seen very keen to distract from that by inventing imaginary problems.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Yes which is very obvious for all to see, but this has spiralled into sacking half the club staff in some folks heads!

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:19 AM

It seems you are not so keen to debate with me , by answering questions . Is there a reason for that?

Iain G
01-09-2019, 10:20 AM

I have no idea who you are, and I am not your pal and I wasn't even responding to you in the first place. So there! :-)

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Yes which is very obvious for all to see, but this has spiralled into sacking half the club staff in some folks heads!

There is a whiff of Yam about the place at the moment. Can't think why, as they don't have their own problems to seek.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 10:23 AM
There is a whiff of Yam about the place at the moment. Can't think why, as they don't have their own problems to seek.

Escapism and by projecting worse issue onto Hibs they feel better about their own little pink palace of pessimism and purgatory.

Squirrel 1875
01-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Ah, the old trusty “he’s a yam”. How incredibly tiresome.

The Harp Awakes
01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
"As consequential for Heckingbottom, despite the mental, technical and disciplinary deficiencies of the squad he took on from Thomas Christiansen, was the absence of any tangible progression in the style or conviction of the club’s football. Their defensive record got worse. Their enthusiasm hardly piqued. Games which mattered were lost with a whimper."

:rolleyes:

:worried:

My_Wife_Camille
01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Surely an undercover Hearts fan would be trying to convince people that everything is great and trying to keep the people who are failing us in a job rather than calling for improvements?

Iain G
01-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Surely an undercover Hearts fan would be trying to convince people that everything is great and trying to keep the people who are failing us in a job rather than calling for improvements?

Reverse psychology? :,-)

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Who is?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:33 AM

I'm afraid you credit them with an unrealistic level of creativity. Johnny Yam acts on a much more mundane level.

I tend to use the lack of a call for improvements as an acid test. It would be stupid to point to individual posts, but there are a few that are nothing more than a list of (imaginary) failings at board level within the club.

Most of them are real failings of their own ramshackle outfit, merely given a Hibs sticker on the box in the hope that no one will notice.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Escapism and by projecting worse issue onto Hibs they feel better about their own little pink palace of pessimism and purgatory.

It would be cruel to deny them that.

FilipinoHibs
01-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Ah is that how it is done? Are there special classes?

emerald green
01-09-2019, 10:44 AM
I was really talking about the flights of fantasy about the club bring in crisis. Sure there is a massive problem on the park, but people are now trying to suggest we are a basket case off the pitch.

Fact is we have had the best attendances for decades, and have left our closest rivals for dead, both in terms of results and how we do business.

Some people seen very keen to distract from that by inventing imaginary problems.

If there is "a massive problem (just one?) on the park" that's what the supporters are very rightly concerned about.

Many supporters also feel that the problems on the park are due, at least in part, to what has happened off it, i.e. the appointment of a manager who seems way out of his depth, allied to signings made by either him and/or the "football department". It's no "flight of fantasy" (sic).

These are not "imaginary problems".

I've supported Hibs through good and bad for decades. I don't give a **** about HMFC.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
If there is "a massive problem (just one?) on the park" that's what the supporters are very rightly concerned about.

Many supporters also feel that the problems on the park are due, at least in part, to what has happened off it, i.e. the appointment of a manager who seems way out of his depth, allied to signings made by either him and/or the "football department". It's no "flight of fantasy" (sic).

These are not "imaginary problems".

I've supported Hibs through good and bad for decades. I don't give a **** about HMFC.

Ok They got it wrong. If they don't correct it we have problems. Glad you are not a Yam, didn't say you were

Some people are saying stuff like the club has been spiralling out of control for years, and that Dempster has been disasters.

Idiocy like that cannot be accidental. Just like Yams using sock accounts to back themselves up isn't accidental.

My_Wife_Camille
01-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Ok They got it wrong. If they don't correct it we have problems. Glad you are not a Yam, didn't say you were

Some people are saying stuff like the club has been spiralling out of control for years, and that Dempster has been disasters.

Idiocy like that cannot be accidental. Just like Yams using sock accounts to back themselves up isn't accidental.
What’s a sock account?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 10:56 AM
What’s a sock account?

One user, multiple accounts. They usually give themselves away with linguistic idiosyncrasies, or a tendency to catastrophise . They are pretty easy to spot if you know how.

Allant1981
01-09-2019, 11:00 AM
What’s a sock account?

I had to google it!!!

Eaststand
01-09-2019, 11:08 AM
What’s a sock account?

Is it an Italian trying to tidy up his socks drawer ?

GGTTH

green day
01-09-2019, 11:10 AM
What’s a sock account?

Its a putdown straight out the top drawer :wink:

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Bunch of specimen, with your cosmic thinking

Pretty Boy
01-09-2019, 11:15 AM
One user, multiple accounts. They usually give themselves away with linguistic idiosyncrasies, or a tendency to catastrophise . They are pretty easy to spot if you know how.

And we know how to spot them. It's a far bigger problem in your head than it is in reality.

Ironic given your ramblings on this thread are about exaggerating a problem.

We're also good at spotting people who have been here before....

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 11:18 AM
And we know how to spot them. It's a far bigger problem in your head than it is in reality.

Point taken, well put.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2019, 11:33 AM
The only time he's had any sort of success, has been as a caretaker manager or when he initially arrived at us for a short period with someone else's players.

As soon as he's given any money to spend, and put HIS team together, he's been found out.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Reverse psychology? :,-)

You can say that again I.

I just can't believe Hibs fans would be so negative about the club. They seem to create a disproportionate amount of noise but I guess when things aren't so good, it's harder to see the good things.

Looking forward to change, and hopefully the club has already been seeing the day coming. Not all things work out, and it's the plan B that separates the winners from the losers.

The Green Goblin
01-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Bunch of specimen, with your cosmic thinking

What are your thoughts on Heckingbottom, specifically his results and the team performances?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 11:46 AM
What are your thoughts on Heckingbottom, specifically his results and the team performances?

Disappointing, he has the look of a guy that underestimated the task. Given the levels of expectation we have of the team over the past few years, he isn't up to the job.

Ps, I am not suggesting people are space cadets, it was a reply to the poor puns on sock accounts.

I had hoped he would prove me wrong, but alarm bells were ringing with his summer signings. He seems to have thought they are better than they actually are

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 11:48 AM

If in doubt whip out the “yam” card.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Disappointing, he has the look of a guy that underestimated the task. Given the levels of expectation we have of the team over the past few years, he isn't up to the job.

Ps, I am not suggesting people are space cadets, it was a reply to the poor puns on sock accounts.

I had hoped he would prove me wrong, but alarm bells were ringing with his summer signings. He seems to have thought they are better than they actually are

Think he needs/needed to stick to his first choice team selection and stick with it, but the players coming in have so far not gelled for whatever reasons. The injuries at the back haven't helped him.

With our fullback issues he could have changed to three at the back perhaps? Would negate the need for the much demanded defensive midfielder.

I think there is a good team in there once the players settle in, players like Vela have played at a good level and have been much in demand.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
If in doubt whip out the “yam” card.

Where does one get a yam card?!? 😁

The 90+2
I'm afraid you credit them with an unrealistic level of creativity. Johnny Yam acts on a much more mundane level.

I tend to use the lack of a call for improvements as an acid test. It would be stupid to point to individual posts, but there are a few that are nothing more than a list of (imaginary) failings at board level within the club.

Most of them are real failings of their own ramshackle outfit, merely given a Hibs sticker on the box in the hope that no one will notice.

Name and shame then.

The 90+2
Where does one get a yam card?!? 😁

The Edinburgh monopoly game :greengrin

Iain G
01-09-2019, 11:56 AM
The Edinburgh monopoly game :greengrin

Go directly to Tynecastle, Do Stop at the Giro Office, Do give Mrs Dr Anne Budge £200?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Name and shame then.

I've had my card marked, I accept I was wrong, and hopefully we can move on.

It disappoints me that Hibs fans seem to have a much different view of what has been happening at the club since Leeanne came in, but I respect that, and regret suggesting they were Yams because of it.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 12:04 PM

It disappoints me that Hibs fans seem to have a much different view of what has been happening at the club since Leeanne came in, but I respect that, and regret suggesting they were Yams because of it.

Was it a yam card you had marked?

Diclonius
01-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Do people actually sign up en masse to their rival team's football forum to slate/praise said team for some unspecified purpose? Like, I can get maybe one or two every so often but loads after a defeat? Nah, people just like to complain.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Think he needs/needed to stick to his first choice team selection and stick with it, but the players coming in have so far not gelled for whatever reasons. The injuries at the back haven't helped him.

With our fullback issues he could have changed to three at the back perhaps? Would negate the need for the much demanded defensive midfielder.

I think there is a good team in there once the players settle in, players like Vela have played at a good level and have been much in demand.

The rebuilding should have begun last season. Bartley, McGregor, Gray and Stevenson were all approaching the point where they would be spending more time on the treatment table than the pitch.

Three of those four formed part of the spine of the team - massive problem for a club our size to replace them.

We were rocked by Lennon's implosion, and given how quickly it happened, I wonder how reasonable it is to have expected the management to spot it and react to it.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 12:10 PM

No worries dude. LD has dome great things for the club but needs to step up to the mark now as the support like you say is more split than it’s ever been hnder her tenure, season tickets are down and will fall dramatically at this rate next season and it’s not bed wetting because we have all seen it before.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

not just admins are good at that tbf

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2019, 12:12 PM
if bielsa's leeds have anymore results like yesterday their could be a job opening.....hecky need not apply though :)

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Go directly to Tynecastle, Do Stop at the Giro Office, Do give Mrs Dr Anne Budge £200?

I should never have chosen to play with the cash cow.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 03:34 PM
No worries dude. LD has dome great things for the club but needs to step up to the mark now as the support like you say is more split than it’s ever been hnder her tenure, season tickets are down and will fall dramatically at this rate next season and it’s not bed wetting because we have all seen it before.

I agree, when he made those signings in the summer, I thought, "it can't be happening again." Sadly it is happening.

Likewise, people are right to ask why it is happening again. I just fear another period of instability after how much has been achieved, it has been great being inside a full Easter Road for games that would have struggled to break 10,000 in the past.

I am an optimist though, and hold on to the hope that the situation will not be allowed to drift.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 03:35 PM
I should never have chosen to play with the cash cow.

I had the Russian hat...

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 03:36 PM
I had the Russian hat...

Ushanka!

Iain G
01-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Ushanka!

Who are you calling a shanka?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Who are you calling a shanka?

No, you misunderstand. It's what the name of the hat is, ushanka.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 03:45 PM
No, you misunderstand. It's what the name of the hat is, ushanka.

Rude man!

Sounds like a hearts centre back mind you...

Hibs90
01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
There was a contradiction between talk of the high esteem in which United’s players held Heckingbottom and the way in which they played for him.

There was some bafflement amongst United’s support about the rush to employ a coach who had Barnsley hovering above the relegation positions

Leeds and Heckingbottom sloped quietly into an irrelevant siding. In the stands at Elland Road, the appetite for another change was rife. Heckingbottom failed to carry the public with him and had no way of countering the perception that he and Leeds were a bad fit.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Rude man!

Sounds like a hearts centre back mind you...

Definitely a Jambo, I've heard the local Yam shouting at the telly - hoof that forward Ushanka!

California-Hibs
01-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Maybe because Appleton was her man and we panicked when we didn't get our 1st choice?

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 04:20 PM
You come across as a bit Yammish yourself. Nae need for the special needs comments.

Point taken.

Edit: it's deleted now, would you mind doing the same for the quoted post?

Betty Boop
01-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Point taken.

Edit: it's deleted now, would you mind doing the same for the quoted post?

Nae bother.

JohnMcM
01-09-2019, 04:32 PM
When I’m hiring people I cross reference their CV vs the company strategic goals / infrastructure.

A few questions that may have avoided our current predicament / failure:

How would you describe your time at Leeds and what was your biggest failure?

What have you learned from your mistakes?

What would you have done differently?

Having researched his previous ( did she? Clearly not) - at the club we have a recruitment policy XYZ... how would you fit in to this?

How would you adapt change into your fundamental philosophy if it’s not working?

What level would you say the Scottish Premiership is vs. The English league system?

How would you describe Scottish football?

What type of players do you feel are required at Hibernian?

How would others describe your management career thus far?

What is your biggest weakness / strength?

How would you manage a budget of X?

Apart from question three (which is a multiple question), I would be deeply concerned if these types of questions were not asked of PH.

The 5 WH are a good enough way of interviewing candidates for most jobs.

To be honest, I would expect the more sophisticated "describe for me", "tell me,,," and "explain for us,,,," amongst and with other types of question to be asked for his type of high profile, finance influencing and critical to success role.

:flag:

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Nae bother.

Much appreciated.

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Apart from question three (which is a multiple question), I would be deeply concerned if these types of questions were not asked of PH.

The 5 WH are a good enough way of interviewing candidates for most jobs.

To be honest, I would expect the more sophisticated "describe for me", "tell me,,," and "explain for us,,,," amongst and with other types of question to be asked for his type of high profile, finance influencing and critical to success role.

This is quite interesting - what exactly does the interviewer hope to find out from these type of questions, and how would it be applied to a football manager?

For example, if Mourinho was interviewed, and he stated his biggest achievements in the game, and was then asked why he thought he'd been successful - would he not get the job if he answered, "buggered if I know?"

hibbydog
01-09-2019, 04:48 PM

That in itself is frightening

JohnMcM
01-09-2019, 04:59 PM
This is quite interesting - what exactly does the interviewer hope to find out from these type of questions, and how would it be applied to a football manager?

For example, if Mourinho was interviewed, and he stated his biggest achievements in the game, and was then asked why he thought he'd been successful - would he not get the job if he answered, "buggered if I know?"

Try answering these examples for yourself;

"You were the head coach at Leeds United for a shorter period than perhaps you would have liked. Explain to us why you were asked to leave early"

"This will be your first, as far as we know, foray into Scottish football. We believe Scottish Football is different from the football you are currently involved in. Describe for us any differences you see between the football you are leaving and that which you are applying for".

"Take your time please and when you are ready, tell us your understanding of Scottish Football".

"Describe for us your philosophy of football and how that will work here".

"Tell us what success looks like to you".

"Explain for us how you approached your last role".

"Please explain for us and describe what influenced your decision making whilst at Leeds".

Not rocket science really and simply putting the candidate in a position of declaring to you, (amongst other things), their reasoning, motivations, ability to empathise, be honest and (in this case) acknowledge the size of the challenge ahead.

Your reference to Jose is a weak one. Anyone in football would know what he would bring. Compare that with what we (our dear club) knew about PH.

G B Young
01-09-2019, 06:19 PM

Wow. We hired this man.

What sort of severance package would we be looking at if we sacked him now?

As others have said, that article is worryingly familiar.

emerald green
01-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Any severance package would be peanuts compared to the financial disaster which would befall the club if it were to be relegated again.

Kaff
01-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Any severance package would be peanuts compared to the financial disaster which would befall the club if it were to be relegated again.

Given what happened after our last relegation maybe this was the 5yr plan!
Yr1 Rebuild squad
Yr2 Win the cup
Yr3 Win league/promotion
Yr4 Record season tickets and qualify for Europe
Yr5 Internally combust and end up relegated following year

Repeat as above.

We'll have won the Cup 3 times and playing in front of 30k crowds by 2030. Masterplan

emerald green
01-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Given what happened after our last relegation maybe this was the 5yr plan!
Yr1 Rebuild squad
Yr2 Win the cup
Yr3 Win league/promotion
Yr4 Record season tickets and qualify for Europe
Yr5 Internally combust and end up relegated following year

Repeat as above.

We'll have won the Cup 3 times and playing in front of 30k crowds by 2030. Masterplan

You got it right until Yr5 mate. :greengrin

Kaff
01-09-2019, 06:42 PM
You got it right until Yr5 mate. :greengrin

I tried to fit 6 into 5! Counting was never a strong point....

The Captain....
01-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Pleyers reported to like him but no evidence of them playing for him on the park. Check. No indication that the system he talks about playing and the one we are actually witnessing is the same thing. Check. No real bond with the fans. Check. Games that matter lost with a whimper. Check. Absence of tangible progression in the style or conviction of football played. Check.Its almost word for word what's been on the forums and social media since as far back as the pre season games. In fact there was discontent about his passive tactics in the bigger games towards the end of last season.

We've made a big mistake..I hope the Board rectify it asap. However..I reckon we'll limp on til Xmas with him as they will want to appear fair minded in giving him a chance. I think that will only do further damage to the club..its going to take a while to recover from this as it is imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

J-C
01-09-2019, 07:18 PM

I think there was talk of a max 4 months severance, it was this that Appleton wanted adjusted to a higher rate.

Greenworld
02-09-2019, 06:17 AM
I think there was talk of a max 4 months severance, it was this that Appleton wanted adjusted to a higher rate.Yes there was talk of 50k severance so that might be about right

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Cataplana
02-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Try answering these examples for yourself;

"You were the head coach at Leeds United for a shorter period than perhaps you would have liked. Explain to us why you were asked to leave early"

"This will be your first, as far as we know, foray into Scottish football. We believe Scottish Football is different from the football you are currently involved in. Describe for us any differences you see between the football you are leaving and that which you are applying for".

"Take your time please and when you are ready, tell us your understanding of Scottish Football".

"Describe for us your philosophy of football and how that will work here".

"Tell us what success looks like to you".

"Explain for us how you approached your last role".

"Please explain for us and describe what influenced your decision making whilst at Leeds".

Not rocket science really and simply putting the candidate in a position of declaring to you, (amongst other things), their reasoning, motivations, ability to empathise, be honest and (in this case) acknowledge the size of the challenge ahead.

Your reference to Jose is a weak one. Anyone in football would know what he would bring. Compare that with what we (our dear club) knew about PH.

Thanks, I don't have any axe to grind on this subject, I am just curious as to how interviewing works.

Do you think all HR skills are transferable to sport? It's a results based business, after all.

One thing that I was thinking, when we got him it was more as a caretaker to ensure we rallied the team and stayed up. The qualities that we'd need for that position would be different from those needed to build the team going forward, as we've sadly found out.

HappyAsHellas
02-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Can we not do a crowdfunding thingy for this?

Steven79
02-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Yes there was talk of 50k severance so that might be about right

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Even if we get rid of him the problem is we now have players that he's signed that even now he clearly admits (By not playing them) aren't upto the job on 3 year deals.

It will take us years to move on from this mistake...

RIP
02-09-2019, 10:46 PM
I understand the chat about the kind of interview questions that Leeann and George would/could/should have asked. Maybe it wasn’t that the right questions weren’t asked.

Could it be that Mr Paul Heckingbottom looks the part of a top manager, talks the talk of a top manager but when it comes to execution - there is no substance behind the classy presentation?

Have we all fallen for a slick sales pitch?

HoboHarry
03-09-2019, 02:09 AM
That would come across as mocking, and I don't think that would be fair.

We can all benefit from hearing the way successful captains of industry operate and how they would go about making our club great again.

There are quite a few on here, it appears, and in sure Ron will be sitting up an taking notice.
:greengrin Made me laugh......

Iain G
03-09-2019, 06:26 AM
I understand the chat about the kind of interview questions that Leeann and George would/could/should have asked. Maybe it wasn’t that the right questions weren’t asked.

Could it be that Mr Paul Heckingbottom looks the part of a top manager, talks the talk of a top manager but when it comes to execution - there is no substance behind the classy presentation?

Did he bamboozle then with his power point presentation?

mayo hibee
03-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Did he bamboozle then with his power point presentation?

In short, yes. He talks a great game but plays a terrible one.

MB62
03-09-2019, 07:55 AM
I think there was talk of a max 4 months severance, it was this that Appleton wanted adjusted to a higher rate.

Was this the guy who was initially our 'first' choice and who had the pulled o9ut at the last minute?

Any idea what he has been doing since?

I'm Spartacus
03-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Haha that made me laugh!

The 90+2
03-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Nah, we wanted Appleton more after-all so took the agents second recommendation.

The 90+2
03-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Was this the guy who was initially our 'first' choice and who had the pulled o9ut at the last minute?

Any idea what he has been doing since?

West Brom.

ColintonHibs
04-09-2019, 04:29 AM
Hecky will see that we get pumped this weekend

MSK
04-09-2019, 05:05 AM
Hecky will see that we get pumped this weekendThats good because we dont have a game this weekend

Iain G
04-09-2019, 05:18 AM
Thats good because we dont have a game this weekend

That won't stop him! 😉