PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 31 08 19)

Jonnyboy
31-08-2019, 08:32 PM
The well-known and much overused football cliché “it’s a difficult place to go” was never more appropriate than it was today as Hibs huffed and puffed their way to a very disappointing 3-0 defeat. After the game the manager bemoaned our inability to deal with one on ones at both ends of the park and whilst there was an element of truth in that, it was only really one reason for the eventual outcome.

Team wise, Hecky went with a 4-3-3 with only one of his summer signings on from the start. Adam Jackson was joined at the back by three of our more established players in Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson but there were times when they looked as though they’d only just met. Scott Allan was restored to a more central role with Slivka and Mallan behind him and when in possession, Horgan and Middleton flanked Kamberi.

From the off, Hibs attacked the Motherwell goal and inside the first minute Kamberi had a chance to score the opener. As he raced towards goal the Motherwell rearguard stood off him allowing the striker to fire in an effort that Gillespie stretched full length to save at his left hand post. I thought at the time that Flo could and should have taken the ball nearer to goal before shooting because hitting it so early gave Gillespie time to sort out his feet before saving. Soon after a shockingly poor attempted header from Slivka towards his keeper let a Motherwell man in and Rocky had to look sharp, saving with his feet when a goal looked certain. Another Motherwell chance soon came along and it took a fine block by Jackson to clear the danger.

Goalkeeper Gillespie had to move smartly to deny a Mallan free kick and then again at a low drive by Middleton but although Hibs made these chances they failed to stop their hosts creating even more. Another Rocky save and a couple of timely blocks kept the scoreline blank but around the twenty five minute mark Motherwell took the lead. With Horgan posted missing, Whittaker was left alone in facing the tricky Seedorf at the angle of the eighteen yard box and it has to be said that Whitty was left stranded by Seedorf’s quick feet allowing the winger to rifle a shot across the diving body of Marciano and into the bottom corner. Minutes later, Seedorf again wriggled free and his cutback found Scott alone on the six yard line but the youngster scooped his shot over the bar. The half time whistle couldn’t come quickly enough for me because as the minutes ticked down Hibs gave possession away far too often and far too easily. The hosts would be cursing Marciano as he saved superbly from a Gallagher header and a Chris Long shot when the striker was through one on one.

I’ve no idea what Hecky said to his players at half time but they started well and in my view had the better of the first twenty minutes or so. Sadly possession alone does not win games and Hibs made poor use of it, creating little or nothing in front of goal although Scott Allan was unlucky to see a low drive diverted the wrong side of the post. Scotty saw the deflection and so did the 1600 odd travelling fans whereas referee Steven McLean and his assistant missed it completely.

In an effort to freshen things up a bit, Hecky replaced the ineffectual Middleton with Shaw just past the hour mark and the new man was unlucky when he was about to burst into the Motherwell box only to be unceremoniously hacked down by Scott. The resultant free kick bordered on the farcical with everyone expecting Mallan to strike at goal. Instead he tapped the ball to Allan who fed Horgan and the latter named took a left foot shot which more resembled a passback.

With Motherwell seemingly happy to sit back and invite Hibs on their manager took a different view and made a telling double substitution with Hylton and Cole clearly instructed to play further up the park and deny Hibs time to pass it out from the back. At that point I felt Hibs should do something similar by perhaps introducing fresh legs in Vela and Hallberg as both Mallan and Slivka were offering little in their midfield roles. Hecky clearly viewed things differently and with around ten minutes to go a slack pass from Slivka eventually led to a corner for Motherwell which, when delivered, witnessed Jackson stupidly using an arm in the area. A stone wall penalty, duly converted by Donnelly, who sent Rocky the wrong way to give his side a 2-0 lead. Still there was no attempt to change the personnel but there did seem to be a baffling decision to reorganise into a 3 at the back with Hanlon pushed forward on the left hand side. That change didn’t last long as all it served to do was give Motherwell more space when attacking and with around five minutes left, Hylton skipped past Whittaker and sent a fierce shot in on goal. It was at the far end from where I was sitting so I’m maybe being harsh but I thought Rocky was beaten again at his front post, his effort at saving simply helping the ball into the net.

Another very poor result and a pretty horrendous performance had the fans booing at the end and although I struggle to see why booing helps anyone I understand 100% why our fans did it. The way we are set up and the tactics we employ, I’m struggling to see which if any of the teams in our league would lose to us. It’s all very depressing.

The players

Marciano – There’s no doubt that Rocky made two or three fine saves but his distribution often simply handed possession back to Motherwell. Also, if my initial thoughts on the third goal are correct that’s twice in the last two games he’s been beaten at his near post – a cardinal sin for any goalkeeper.

Whittaker – The opening goal was very much down to Whitty getting skinned by Seedorf and I’ve no doubt that negative will be seized upon by those who criticise him at every opportunity but in my view I thought there were more positives than negatives about his overall play.

Jackson – The madness of conceding the penalty apart I thought he was the best of our back four today although I accept that may be construed as him being damned by faint praise!

Hanlon – Would somebody please search for the real Paul Hanlon because this current version is a shadow of the one that’s performed so well over the years for Hibs.

Stevenson – It’s no secret I love the wee fella but I thought he was poor today and looks to be still in need of sharpening his match practice.

Mallan – I’m fed up saying he’s played too deep but I still say it anyway because it’s true. He gets huge amounts of criticism and some of it is deserved but he most certainly wasn’t the poorest of our players today.

Slivka – I’ve defended Slivka in the past and I’ve long argued that he’s a better player than some give him credit for but today was not one of those days.

Allan – Restored to his rightful position it made little difference and I’ll offer two reasons why I think that. First, every time he got the ball, two and sometimes three Motherwell players surrounded him. Second and it relates to my first point, whilst he has the skill to deal with such marking that skill is neutralised by the lack of movement ahead of him.

Horgan – See my second point about Scott Allan. Horgan is more often a passenger than not and to me it’s ironic that the likes of Mallan gets ripped while some still hold Horgan up as something special. It’s not nice criticising players and I don’t like doing it but truthfully cannot help myself when it comes to Horgan as he continuously fails to offer himself for an out ball from Allan.

Kamberi - Much has been made about whether his form will dip if he doesn’t leave the club in this window but I don’t buy into that as I think he’s finally rediscovered the form that was bullied out of him. Flo ploughed a lone furrow today with little support from the other two in our front three.

Middleton – This was, I think, his third start but today was not his day and he offered little in an attacking sense. Personally I’d have hooked him at half time.

Shaw – Oli got the last half hour or so and was lively and willing to seek out the space the man he’d replaced hadn’t. That trip as he burst into the box was unfortunate for him because had he not been fouled he’d have engineered a good chance of scoring.

Vela – Josh only got the last few minutes and was only introduced as a result of Slivka cramping up.

Hecky – I worry for the guy, I really do as the pressure is building.

Fans – Great and noisy support

Steven McLean – Par performance as he managed to get both sets of fans booing him – job done.

My old man
31-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your breakdown

Sounds like there’s a lot of work to be done

GGTTH

AZhibee
31-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Blaster
31-08-2019, 08:47 PM
We criticise our full backs but they are always isolated 1 v 1. Some will say they should do better and I get that

My counter argument is how many times do our wingers get a 1 v 1 chance?? Rarely. Because the other teams midfield help out.

We are the softest team in the league by miles

BILLYHIBS
31-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Brilliant once again Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

:thumbsup:

Is It On....
31-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the update. An an exile, it's the first thread I look for if I haven't been able to get to the game. Also, and in homage to the band that gives your thread its title [and to lighten the mood on .net], it's 30yrs today that The Inspiral Carpets played the Venue 🙂.

hughio
31-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Very accurate and balanced assessment in my humble opinion 👏A sad day to be with 3 young Hibees 🥴

The Captain....
31-08-2019, 09:00 PM
I'm beginning to think you'll be able to copy and paste your excellent reports this season as the basic, structural problems with the squad and team shape are so glaringly obvious that they'll be exploited in the same way by all our opponents.

What an absolute disaster of a transfer window and managerial appointment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
31-08-2019, 09:02 PM
We looked desperately weak today.
Two weeks to the next game.
According to the manager Porteous and James will be ready in 2 weeks.

IMO we should play our biggest and physically strongest players in the next game with the exception of Allan in an attempt to compete and fight our way to 3 points.
We can't have the tiny brothers Mallan, Allan and Horgan in the same team again. We are being blown away.

Would go for the following team:

GK - Marciano
FB - James & Stevenson
CH - Porteous & Jackson
M - Vela Hallman Allan Slivka Middleton
F - Kamberi

PH91
31-08-2019, 09:17 PM
We looked desperately weak today.
Two weeks to the next game.
According to the manager Porteous and James will be ready in 2 weeks.

IMO we should play our biggest and physically strongest players in the next game with the exception of Allan in an attempt to compete and fight our way to 3 points.
We can't have the tiny brothers Mallan, Allan and Horgan in the same team again. We are being blown away.

Would go for the following team:

GK - Marciano
FB - James & Stevenson
CH - Porteous & Jackson
M - Vela Hallman Allan Slivka Middleton
F - Kamberi

With none of our wingers playing well there is beginning to be a case for a 352 or 3412.

Porto Jackson Hanlon
James Vela Hallberg Stevenson
Allan
Kamberi Shaw

I dont think he likes that formation but there are some plus points in hanlon looks better in a 3 and kamberi better with a partner.

If sticking with 4 at the back i would play shaw wide and vela in the middle over slivka. Shaw at least looked like he was up for it today when he came on.

Also, where is fraser murray? Is he injured? From what iv seen he offers as such if not more than middleton.

IberianHibernian
31-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Always look forward to reading these match reports even after defeats . Always good to read opinions of a real fan though no two fans have the same opinion of players . I`ve not been a regular fan for many years but remember numerous visits to Motherwell in 70s and 80s with probably only about 10% victories and several heavier defeats than today so start about it being a difficult place to go to are very true but understand that that won`t satisfy anyone .

PH91
31-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Also, thanks for the report as always. Your comment on hanlon is spot on, what on earth has happened to him?

GreenCastle
31-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Also, thanks for the report as always. Your comment on hanlon is spot on, what on earth has happened to him?

He isn’t comfortable playing with Jackson.

His keeper has been out of form behind him.

He’s had a kid playing left back - Mackie

Stevenson isn’t fully fit - missed all pre-season

James was new

Gray wasn’t fit

Whittaker has been on the pitch when we have conceded majority of these goals also.

He has no cover in front of him or the back 4 or 5 (with a gk) which has been different every game.

Hanlon and Jackson were both out jumped at defending corners today - slightly worrying.

CMurdoch
31-08-2019, 09:33 PM
With none of our wingers playing well there is beginning to be a case for a 352 or 3412.

Porto Jackson Hanlon
Allan
Kamberi Shaw

I dont think he likes that formation but there are some plus points in hanlon looks better in a 3 and kamberi better with a partner.

If sticking with 4 at the back i would play shaw wide and vela in the middle over slivka. Shaw at least looked like he was up for it today when he came on.

Also, where is fraser murray? Is he injured? From what iv seen he offers as such if not more than middleton.

I would happily go 3 at the back as you have selected. If James isn't back, Whittaker would be happier in your formation.
Re Murray, i like him. There is even a case for putting him in the team above instead of Allan to give us more energy and legs.
A lot of supporters wouldn't like it and would boo their heids off :na na: but we need to get some energy and fight into the team.

AZhibee
31-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy

WestStandMoaner
31-08-2019, 10:05 PM
The well-known and much overused football cliché “it’s a difficult place to go” was never more appropriate than it was today as Hibs huffed and puffed their way to a very disappointing 3-0 defeat. After the game the manager bemoaned our inability to deal with one on ones at both ends of the park and whilst there was an element of truth in that, it was only really one reason for the eventual outcome.

Team wise, Hecky went with a 4-3-3 with only one of his summer signings on from the start. Adam Jackson was joined at the back by three of our more established players in Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson but there were times when they looked as though they’d only just met. Scott Allan was restored to a more central role with Slivka and Mallan behind him and when in possession, Horgan and Middleton flanked Kamberi.

From the off, Hibs attacked the Motherwell goal and inside the first minute Kamberi had a chance to score the opener. As he raced towards goal the Motherwell rearguard stood off him allowing the striker to fire in an effort that Gillespie stretched full length to save at his left hand post. I thought at the time that Flo could and should have taken the ball nearer to goal before shooting because hitting it so early gave Gillespie time to sort out his feet before saving. Soon after a shockingly poor attempted header from Slivka towards his keeper let a Motherwell man in and Rocky had to look sharp, saving with his feet when a goal looked certain. Another Motherwell chance soon came along and it took a fine block by Jackson to clear the danger.

Goalkeeper Gillespie had to move smartly to deny a Mallan free kick and then again at a low drive by Middleton but although Hibs made these chances they failed to stop their hosts creating even more. Another Rocky save and a couple of timely blocks kept the scoreline blank but around the twenty five minute mark Motherwell took the lead. With Horgan posted missing, Whittaker was left alone in facing the tricky Seedorf at the angle of the eighteen yard box and it has to be said that Whitty was left stranded by Seedorf’s quick feet allowing the winger to rifle a shot across the diving body of Marciano and into the bottom corner. Minutes later, Seedorf again wriggled free and his cutback found Scott alone on the six yard line but the youngster scooped his shot over the bar. The half time whistle couldn’t come quickly enough for me because as the minutes ticked down Hibs gave possession away far too often and far too easily. The hosts would be cursing Marciano as he saved superbly from a Gallagher header and a Chris Long shot when the striker was through one on one.

I’ve no idea what Hecky said to his players at half time but they started well and in my view had the better of the first twenty minutes or so. Sadly possession alone does not win games and Hibs made poor use of it, creating little or nothing in front of goal although Scott Allan was unlucky to see a low drive diverted the wrong side of the post. Scotty saw the deflection and so did the 1600 odd travelling fans whereas referee Steven McLean and his assistant missed it completely.

In an effort to freshen things up a bit, Hecky replaced the ineffectual Middleton with Shaw just past the hour mark and the new man was unlucky when he was about to burst into the Motherwell box only to be unceremoniously hacked down by Scott. The resultant free kick bordered on the farcical with everyone expecting Mallan to strike at goal. Instead he tapped the ball to Allan who fed Horgan and the latter named took a left foot shot which more resembled a passback.

With Motherwell seemingly happy to sit back and invite Hibs on their manager took a different view and made a telling double substitution with Hylton and Cole clearly instructed to play further up the park and deny Hibs time to pass it out from the back. At that point I felt Hibs should do something similar by perhaps introducing fresh legs in Vela and Hallberg as both Mallan and Slivka were offering little in their midfield roles. Hecky clearly viewed things differently and with around ten minutes to go a slack pass from Slivka eventually led to a corner for Motherwell which, when delivered, witnessed Jackson stupidly using an arm in the area. A stone wall penalty, duly converted by Donnelly, who sent Rocky the wrong way to give his side a 2-0 lead. Still there was no attempt to change the personnel but there did seem to be a baffling decision to reorganise into a 3 at the back with Hanlon pushed forward on the left hand side. That change didn’t last long as all it served to do was give Motherwell more space when attacking and with around five minutes left, Hylton skipped past Whittaker and sent a fierce shot in on goal. It was at the far end from where I was sitting so I’m maybe being harsh but I thought Rocky was beaten again at his front post, his effort at saving simply helping the ball into the net.

Another very poor result and a pretty horrendous performance had the fans booing at the end and although I struggle to see why booing helps anyone I understand 100% why our fans did it. The way we are set up and the tactics we employ, I’m struggling to see which if any of the teams in our league would lose to us. It’s all very depressing.

The players

Marciano – There’s no doubt that Rocky made two or three fine saves but his distribution often simply handed possession back to Motherwell. Also, if my initial thoughts on the third goal are correct that’s twice in the last two games he’s been beaten at his near post – a cardinal sin for any goalkeeper.

Whittaker – The opening goal was very much down to Whitty getting skinned by Seedorf and I’ve no doubt that negative will be seized upon by those who criticise him at every opportunity but in my view I thought there were more positives than negatives about his overall play.

Jackson – The madness of conceding the penalty apart I thought he was the best of our back four today although I accept that may be construed as him being damned by faint praise!

Hanlon – Would somebody please search for the real Paul Hanlon because this current version is a shadow of the one that’s performed so well over the years for Hibs.

Stevenson – It’s no secret I love the wee fella but I thought he was poor today and looks to be still in need of sharpening his match practice.

Mallan – I’m fed up saying he’s played too deep but I still say it anyway because it’s true. He gets huge amounts of criticism and some of it is deserved but he most certainly wasn’t the poorest of our players today.

Slivka – I’ve defended Slivka in the past and I’ve long argued that he’s a better player than some give him credit for but today was not one of those days.

Allan – Restored to his rightful position it made little difference and I’ll offer two reasons why I think that. First, every time he got the ball, two and sometimes three Motherwell players surrounded him. Second and it relates to my first point, whilst he has the skill to deal with such marking that skill is neutralised by the lack of movement ahead of him.

Horgan – See my second point about Scott Allan. Horgan is more often a passenger than not and to me it’s ironic that the likes of Mallan gets ripped while some still hold Horgan up as something special. It’s not nice criticising players and I don’t like doing it but truthfully cannot help myself when it comes to Horgan as he continuously fails to offer himself for an out ball from Allan.

Kamberi - Much has been made about whether his form will dip if he doesn’t leave the club in this window but I don’t buy into that as I think he’s finally rediscovered the form that was bullied out of him. Flo ploughed a lone furrow today with little support from the other two in our front three.

Middleton – This was, I think, his third start but today was not his day and he offered little in an attacking sense. Personally I’d have hooked him at half time.

Shaw – Oli got the last half hour or so and was lively and willing to seek out the space the man he’d replaced hadn’t. That trip as he burst into the box was unfortunate for him because had he not been fouled he’d have engineered a good chance of scoring.

Vela – Josh only got the last few minutes and was only introduced as a result of Slivka cramping up.

Hecky – I worry for the guy, I really do as the pressure is building.

Fans – Great and noisy support

Steven McLean – Par performance as he managed to get both sets of fans booing him – job done.

Was at the game and your report is spot on well done

IberianHibernian
31-08-2019, 10:13 PM
He isn’t comfortable playing with Jackson.

His keeper has been out of form behind him.

He’s had a kid playing left back - Mackie

Stevenson isn’t fully fit - missed all pre-season

James was new

Gray wasn’t fit

Whittaker has been on the pitch when we have conceded majority of these goals also.

He has no cover in front of him or the back 4 or 5 (with a gk) which has been different every game.

Hanlon and Jackson were both out jumped at defending corners today - slightly worrying.I`ve always been a great fan of Hanlon but to come up with 9 possible reasons why he isn`t performing as well as fans know he can all of which blame teammates is surely unfair on teammates and I doubt Hanlon himself would want to blame others either - we`re talking of a vastly experienced defender here not a teenager . And we`re not just talking of this season either .

theonlywayisup
31-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Did Vela come on?

The BBC report only mentioned Shaw coming on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49456516

GreenCastle
31-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Did Vela come on?

The BBC report only mentioned Shaw coming on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49456516

Yes Vela for Slivka at 3-0.

The Harp Awakes
31-08-2019, 10:42 PM
I'm beginning to think you'll be able to copy and paste your excellent reports this season as the basic, structural problems with the squad and team shape are so glaringly obvious that they'll be exploited in the same way by all our opponents.

What an absolute disaster of a transfer window and managerial appointment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ron must be wondering what the hell he has done buying the Club. There is so little inspiration in the way we are playing it's depressing.

Looks like we have bought 7 or 8 duds most of them on long term contracts.

The problem is if Hecky goes who is going to be the miracle worker who turns things around?

Moody Blues
31-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Ron must be wondering what the hell he has done buying the Club. There is so little inspiration in the way we are playing it's depressing.

Looks like we have bought 7 or 8 duds most of them on long term contracts.

The problem is if Hecky goes who is going to be the miracle worker who turns things around?

Who allowed this shambles to happen. We all know.

oldbutdim
01-09-2019, 12:03 AM

Is it Petrie?

Hermit Crab
01-09-2019, 12:11 AM
You left out that Stevenson, for the first goal got roasted (many times today) by the boy Scott and he ran across the pitch and fed Seedorf who roasted Whittiker for the goal.

CMurdoch
01-09-2019, 12:12 AM

Levein?

Captain Trips
01-09-2019, 12:21 AM
At 1-0 I was thinking looking at the way we were playing I thought to myself in the next few weeks playing like this against a more competent team we are going to see another gubbing. Little did I know it would happen 10mins later.

1875godsgift
01-09-2019, 12:29 AM

Theresa May? :confused:

Hibs4185
01-09-2019, 05:23 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Kamberi is so much more livelier because Scott Allan is in the team. Instead of long balls punted at his chest, he now knows he’s going to get little through balls to run onto and better chances.

PH91
01-09-2019, 07:55 AM
You left out that Stevenson, for the first goal got roasted (many times today) by the boy Scott and he ran across the pitch and fed Seedorf who roasted Whittiker for the goal.

This is just a lie.

The boy did run across the pitch at one point but it certainly wasnt the goal and im not sure how u expect a full back to stop that. It was another example of our central midfield allowing runners to do as they please.

Stevenson had an decent second half yesterday imo. He is the least of our concerns. Whittaker, on the other hand, had a horrible afternoon. Time and again he couldn't deal with a 1v1 situation. We lost 2 goals from it, although marciano should save both.

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Team of cowards, no nasty players ready to stick boot in, pulling out of challenges.

Captain Trips
01-09-2019, 10:07 AM
If you want to play Mallan and Allan enforcement is needed ie Bartley type.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2019, 01:47 PM
This is just a lie.

The boy did run across the pitch at one point but it certainly wasnt the goal and im not sure how u expect a full back to stop that. It was another example of our central midfield allowing runners to do as they please.

Stevenson had an decent second half yesterday imo. He is the least of our concerns. Whittaker, on the other hand, had a horrible afternoon. Time and again he couldn't deal with a 1v1 situation. We lost 2 goals from it, although marciano should save both.

Sorry I got the passages of play mixed up, both him and SW got skinned every time yesterday, never got near their men the whole game. They have no pace.

Iain G
01-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Porto Jackson Hanlon
Allan
Kamberi Shaw

I fully agree that a three at the back would suit the personnel available and we need to get a solid base to play from, for me get Fraser Murray in that midfield and play with Vela or the new man in there. We need some energy and we need to be solid.

We have the wingers and Mallan to bring on if we want to stretch the game later and add goal threat.

Rocky

Jackson Porteous Hanlon

Whittaker Vela Murray Stevenson

Allan

Flo Doidge (or Shaw)

The_Horde
01-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Less to do with the full backs and more to do with the midfield. Both players drifted inside and got a free run and there's nobody across to help.

The_Horde
01-09-2019, 02:03 PM
This is just a lie.

Whittaker was always showing the pacey winger inside, as he should with his chronic lack of pace. Midfielders were casually walking back into position as you say, that's where they should've been.

JimBHibees
01-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Sorry I got the passages of play mixed up, both him and SW got skinned every time yesterday, never got near their men the whole game. They have no pace.

They both clearly didn't. Both had zero protection from wide players or centre mids.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2019, 03:21 PM
They both clearly didn't. Both had zero protection from wide players or centre mids.

Were you at the game? We got slaughtered down both wings, especially in the first half.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Were you at the game? We got slaughtered down both wings, especially in the first half.

Horgan didn't bother his arse to help Whittaker once, he was rotten.

Jonnyboy
01-09-2019, 04:31 PM

C’mon G even you must have seen the fullbacks got no cover whatsoever either from the wide men or sitting midfielders.

Unseen work
01-09-2019, 04:38 PM
I said the same regarding Horgan against rangers, Jones was skinning him every time and Horgan just stood and watched.

It almost looked as if he was told to stay high to pin the fullback back and be an out ball

Since452
01-09-2019, 04:40 PM
I didn't notice Middleton was playing

number9dream
01-09-2019, 07:21 PM
If you want to play Mallan and Allan enforcement is needed ie Bartley type.

We definitely need some dig in midfield - and some guys who keep the ball for more than a few seconds. Mallan is not a deep-lying playmaker like McGeough was. He needs to be further up the pitch, if involved at all.
Our wide players have been hopeless, so I'd be tempted to rejig the formation without them.
Where is Murray? Injured? He's a better player than most of them, so if he's being squeezed out of the match day for that dross it's an outrage.

greenlex
01-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Nailed it JC.

JimBHibees
01-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Yes was there they got beat a couple of times but had zero protection from any midfielders wide or central.

JimBHibees
01-09-2019, 08:47 PM
I didn't notice Middleton was playing

Couple of good touches butchered a break we had just before first goal by going himself when both Flo and Horgan were in better positions.

brog
01-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks John. That's depressing when you give your usual honest & objective commentary & there's no positives to be seen. There's no doubt we've suffered disproportionately with defensive injuries. Stevenson, Gray, James, Porteous & McGregor all being injured before the end of August is ridiculous. I think we're also now appreciating just how much work Boyle did off the ball, tracking back & covering. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that our only other 1st team defender who's not been quoted is Mackie. It seems he's been made the scapegoat for the Ibrox debacle. I think there's a case to be made,at least in the short term, to play Sean as a left sided midfielder. He would give cover to Lewis, has a great engine & a wonderful left foot. We would also be developing one of our young players rather than one of our rivals!

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Thanks John. That's depressing when you give your usual honest & objective commentary & there's no positives to be seen. There's no doubt we've suffered disproportionately with defensive injuries. Stevenson, Gray, James, Porteous & McGregor all being injured before the end of August is ridiculous. I think we're also now appreciating just how much work Boyle did off the ball, tracking back & covering. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that our only other 1st team defender who's not been quoted is Mackie. It seems he's been made the scapegoat for the Ibrox debacle. I think there's a case to be made,at least in the short term, to play Sean as a left sided midfielder. He would give cover to Lewis, has a great engine & a wonderful left foot. We would also be developing one of our young players rather than one of our rivals!

Might be wrong but Heckingbottom seems to have a problem with our young players

Mackie nowhere near the team since the Ibrox fiasco

Murray dropped since the Morton game not sure if injured but looked ok walking about the West versus St Johnstone laughing and joking

Another poster reporting on another thread that Hecky and Porteous do not get on (allegedly)

Olly Shaw looking for a way out to try and get game time ( no one can blame him)

All of his signings sat on the bench on Saturday apart from Jackson who decides to punch the ball in the box to give away a pen and put us 0-2 down and no way back

I might be wrong

The_Horde
01-09-2019, 09:53 PM
We definitely need some dig in midfield - and some guys who keep the ball for more than a few seconds. Mallan is not a deep-lying playmaker like McGeough was. He needs to be further up the pitch, if involved at all.
Our wide players have been hopeless, so I'd be tempted to rejig the formation without them.
Where is Murray? Injured? He's a better player than most of them, so if he's being squeezed out of the match day for that dross it's an outrage.

In order to do that though the manager will first have to recognise that Mallan is an absolute passenger.

franck sauzee
01-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Murray dropped since the Morton game not sure if injured but looked ok walking about the West versus St Johnstone laughing and joking

Another poster reporting on another thread that Hecky and Porteous do not get on (allegedly)

Olly Shaw looking for a way out to try and get game time ( no one can blame him)

All of his signings sat on the bench on Saturday apart from Jackson who decides to punch the ball in the box to give away a pen and put us 0-2 down and no way back

I might be wrong

I was going to write something very similar. For someone that is supposed to be great at developing youngsters I just don't see it at all. Can't understand Murray not even in the squad. Just bizarre unless he's injured. Also why are we bringing in Middleton and stunt Fraser's development? For me he's not an upgrade

brog
02-09-2019, 10:24 AM

I might be wrong

Those were my thoughts also Billy. You could add Josh Campbell to that, from 1st team starter to out on loan in the space of a few weeks. Personally I'm not convinced by Josh but I thought the likes of Ben Stirling would have been in & around the squad given our lack of defensive cover.

Since452
02-09-2019, 10:26 AM
I'm Shaws biggest critic but though he looked our most likely when he came on