PDA

View Full Version : George Craig

Squirrel 1875
31-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Time to ask some serious questions of our “director of football”. Man appears to be made of Teflon. We haven’t had a good summer transfer window in a long time and yet no questions are being directed toward him. If Heckingbottom deserves to be sacked for this abomination of a team, so does Craig.

The_Horde
31-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Time to ask some serious questions of our “director of football”. Man appears to be made of Teflon. We haven’t had a good summer transfer window in a long time and yet no questions are being directed toward him. If Heckingbottom deserves to be sacked for this abomination of a team, so does Craig.

A new set of eyes and new ambition is required in his position IMO.

flash
31-08-2019, 04:53 PM

You were right about the manager and you are right about him. Almost every player we sign isn't good enough to get in the team.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 04:54 PM
He's our version of Levein. He's been untouchable. We've had largely questionable recruitment since Stubbs. He talks well but all these meetings in Barcelona to see what players we can get is a lot of rubbish when we recruit what we have this summer.

Weegreenman
31-08-2019, 04:58 PM
With our budget we should be picking up better quality players than most of the clubs in this league. That’s certainly not the case.
St.Johnston
Motherwell
Livingston
Kilmarnock

Four clubs you’d expect us to beat and finish above, now look like they all have better squads than us. That’s unacceptable for me. Time for change me thinks!

Paul1642
31-08-2019, 04:58 PM
He's our version of Levein. He's been untouchable. We've had largely questionable recruitment since Stubbs. He talks well but all these meetings in Barcelona to see what players we can get is a lot of rubbish when we recruit what we have this summer.

How can Lennon be questionable. He was a huge name signing for us and gave us two great seasons.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 04:59 PM
How can Lennon be questionable. He was a huge name signing for us and gave us two great seasons.

What?

Lago
31-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Who is he, what is his back ground who brought him to Hibs ? For me he seemed to just suddenly appear from somewhere

Peevemor
31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
How can Lennon be questionable. He was a huge name signing for us and gave us two great seasons.He gave us a decent season in the championship and half a great season in the SPL.

A Hi-Bee
31-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Who is he, what is his back ground who brought him to Hibs ? For me he seemed to just suddenly appear from somewhere

He was director of fitba at Falkirk and was enticed to Hibs, well thought of at the time but reckon he has overstayed his time at Hibs. Should go along with most of them and take the manager and his team with them.

hfc rd
31-08-2019, 05:01 PM
I remember in the Time For Heroes DVD, he mentioned that him & Leeann have some wonderful ideas going forward. 3 years later... what are those “wonderful ideas” and/or when can we see them being implemented? The only thing we can see right now are a bunch of players that don’t seen to show any passion when they pull on that Hibs top. No heart, no desire, no fight. Just a bunch of bottler merchants with a manager that doesn’t seem to have a f****** clue what his best team and formation is.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 05:03 PM

How many loans did we have under Lennon? Also, Lennons team was largely still Stubbs' team. I think we've failed to replace them and last season was strange in terms of the number of loans we had that never played. Mavrias, Nelom etc. Club have forgotten they are a football club, all this WeAreAllHibs rubbish...

Pretty Boy
31-08-2019, 05:06 PM
George is a really interesting guy to listen to. He's passionate, positive and focused.

No one should be untouchable though and he should be under the same scrutiny as anyone else in the football department given the situation we are currently in.

Paul1642
31-08-2019, 05:09 PM
How many loans did we have under Lennon? Also, Lennons team was largely still Stubbs' team. I think we've failed to replace them and last season was strange in terms of the number of loans we had that never played. Mavrias, Nelom etc. Club have forgotten they are a football club, all this WeAreAllHibs rubbish...

I mistook your post to mean manager recruitment

Since452
31-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Mallberg might turn out to be the Swedish Iniesta. I bloody hope so.

GoalsMcGinley
31-08-2019, 05:11 PM
He only advises the manager. The manager makes the final call. As I’ve stated previously PH wanted full control of his summer “rebuild” and he was given it. He was warned of 2 of his summer signings but signed them anyway. I’ve been critical of GC before but this isn’t his mess. It’s PH’s. No one else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffers
31-08-2019, 05:13 PM
I'm not defending Craig as I don't know what goes on specifically behind the scenes, but as far as I do know it's the manager who has the final say on the players that are signed. Unless you go with a model where the DoF signs all the players and the Head Coach is left to coach these players and select the team, I wouldn't expect the DoF to interfere.

A poster on here claimed Heckingbottom was advised against both Newell and Vela. but he signed them anyway. Is that then the fault of the recruitment team ? And wasn't the same recruitment team in place when we brought in McGinn, Allan, Gray, Henderson, McGeouch etc ? Maybe Heckingbottom has listened to their advice and then gone his own way ?

Arch Stanton
31-08-2019, 05:15 PM
LD isn't blameless in all this either - but I just hope she doesn't dig her heels in and protect PH just because she can.

Making a mistake isn't the end of the world, Leeann, just let him go and move on.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 05:15 PM
I mistook your post to mean manager recruitment

No, Hecky is a mistake on that front. I'm more concerned at how players are coming to the club. Actually find it suspicious how many players have said that Hecky was main reason they came. Also strange how many times interviewer starts the interview by saying "Hecky sales pitch".

Head coach should have a say in player recruitment but why do we have a scouting team, Graeme Mathie and George Craig if we are just going to sign players Hecky knows from down south? Thought that was the reason for moving to a Head Coach model from a Manager model. We should be recruiting players so we can be dynamic with head coaches -sack them or lose them if they do well.

We're back to manager model and lurching from "sack the manager" constantly while each manager recruits duds. Cant help but feel some people are doing a Homer into the bushes while Hecky takes the flak. We need full review of recruitment team, we aren't doing what we said we were doing.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 05:16 PM

I hope not. Iniesta couldn't tackle very well.

Bob Box Fish
31-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Heckingbottom said he handed a list of targets in on his first day for the club to work on. Given they are coming from lower league England I would imagine most of the signings have come from that list.

Torto7
31-08-2019, 05:20 PM
He only advises the manager. The manager makes the final call. As I’ve stated previously PH wanted full control of his summer “rebuild” and he was given it. He was warned of 2 of his summer signings but signed them anyway. I’ve been critical of GC before but this isn’t his mess. It’s PH’s. No one else’s.

Who? Also how do you know this?

madhatter
31-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Heckingbottom said he handed a list of targets in on his first day for the club to work on. Given they are coming from lower league England I would imagine most of the signings have come from that list.

That's not Head Coach model club spoke of. We ended up relegated by giving incompetent managers license to recruit who they wanted. Lurching from one disaster to the next. Club should be honest and say we've lost our way on this front and do a reset before it's far too late.

emerald green
31-08-2019, 05:21 PM
I remember in the Time For Heroes DVD, he mentioned that him & Leeann have some wonderful ideas going forward. 3 years later... what are those “wonderful ideas” and/or when can we see them being implemented? The only thing we can see right now are a bunch of players that don’t seen to show any passion when they pull on that Hibs top. No heart, no desire, no fight. Just a bunch of bottler merchants with a manager that doesn’t seem to have a f****** clue what his best team and formation is.

:agree:

flash
31-08-2019, 05:22 PM

Newell and Doidge?

Lago
31-08-2019, 05:22 PM
He was director of fitba at Falkirk and was enticed to Hibs, well thought of at the time but reckon he has overstayed his time at Hibs. Should go along with most of them and take the manager and his team with them.
Thanks

erin go bragh
31-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Who? Also how do you know this?

Newall and Vella have already-been mentioned.

jacomo
31-08-2019, 05:27 PM

No good.

I want the Swedish Guardiola (the player, not the manager)

Bob Box Fish
31-08-2019, 05:39 PM
That's not Head Coach model club spoke of. We ended up relegated by giving incompetent managers license to recruit who they wanted. Lurching from one disaster to the next. Club should be honest and say we've lost our way on this front and do a reset before it's far too late.

I think it is too late unfortunately, most of the signings are on 2-3 yr contracts it’s not like bad loans you can bin sooner. Couple that with the originals ageing - Gray, Whittaker, Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor and we are in a very bad position with a full rebuild required. Remember Dempster has invested a min of £850k in the 4yr deals given to Gray / McGregor- how many games will they play this season?

Jones28
31-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Largely questionable since Stubbs? Can you explain this?

J-C
31-08-2019, 05:47 PM

This

I've posted this type of post on multiple threads over the weeks, PH did his own rebuild without using the recruitment team, Lennon did a lot of the same himself and had to be helped out in January by Craig and his scouts. The blame lies squarely on PH's shoulders here, Craig is not a DOF like they have at other teams, he's a director of Operations, a big difference, a DOF buys the players and the head coach coaches them, Craig just oversees the scouting and players well being, the manager always has final say on players.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Largely questionable since Stubbs? Can you explain this?

Sure, a few examples are Mavrias, Nelom, Hyndman, Johnson, Spector, Matulevicious, Rherras, Shinnie, Graham. Think that's probably enough to show what I mean.

We've got a scatter gun approach to recruitment that varies from acquiring internationalists even if their careers are failing, to up and coming youngsters that have played very few senior games, to just bizarre signings.

We signed McGinn, Fyvie, Allan and McGeouch in the championship. If Fyvie didn't have his injury problems he would be in our midfield now. At least he tried to get stuck in. We've went backwards massively.

hibeerealist
31-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Interesting, do you know this for sure?

Which 2 if you don’t mind sharing or PM me please?

I can certainly believe this as the signings are poor and not one, T James and A Jackson have had their moments, has looked like they will improve us in any way. This led me to believe something has gone seriously wrong in the recruitment dept but if PH insisted it was his call then there is the problem....... *****ed the transfer budget on what???

J-C
31-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Sure, a few examples are Mavrias, Nelom, Hyndman, Johnson, Spector, Matulevicious, Rherras, Shinnie, Graham. Think that's probably enough to show what I mean.

We've got a scatter gun approach to recruitment that varies from acquiring internationalists even if their careers are failing, to up and coming youngsters that have played very few senior games, to just bizarre signings.

We signed McGinn, Fyvie, Allan and McGeouch in the championship. If Fyvie didn't have his injury problems he would be in our midfield now. At least he tried to get stuck in. We've went backwards massively.

Mostly through agents known by Lennon, players like Kamberi, McLaren and McNulty are from out scouting system. Hyndman was already known to us via Rangers.

hibeerealist
31-08-2019, 06:01 PM
I think it is too late unfortunately, most of the signings are on 2-3 yr contracts it’s not like bad loans you can bin sooner. Couple that with the originals ageing - Gray, Whittaker, Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor and we are in a very bad position with a full rebuild required. Remember Dempster has invested a min of £850k in the 4yr deals given to Gray / McGregor- how many games will they play this season?

These are not 4 year playing contracts, 2 playing and 2 in other roles within the club, probably coaching.

tonyrougier123
31-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Lets face it if porto was fully fit even jacko might Not have started today.
Leaving only middleton on loan from our direct competitor's squad the only summer signing to make the starting eleven....and the budget is spent.
That's a shocker imo.

Bob Box Fish
31-08-2019, 06:06 PM
These are not 4 year playing contracts, 2 playing and 2 in other roles within the club, probably coaching.

I know that but you think they will be doing the latter part for free like? Dempster created ambassador roles as part of the deal. I used £2k per week, both of which will be on more than that for playing.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Mostly through agents known by Lennon, players like Kamberi, McLaren and McNulty are from out scouting system. Hyndman was already known to us via Rangers.

Even if that is correct, you are sort of defending the recruitment team by saying they are largely redundant and are only sparingly used...

BegbieHSC
31-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Craig and Dempster are jokers.

Oot with Hecky!

CapitalGreen
31-08-2019, 06:19 PM

As I told you a few days ago, Kamberi came through Lennon’s mate Mark Fotheringham, he was not “discovered” by the recruitment team.

emerald green
31-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Compare the squads Hibs had when they won the Scottish Cup, the Championship, and then 4th place in the Premier League, with what they have now and it is as clear as day that the squad we have today is far weaker, led by someone who is out of his depth.

The club has not recruited well, to say the least. Results and performances don't lie.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Scatter-gunning to include the likes of Craig and Dempster won’t help us.
What constraints is Craig working with - did we speculate too far and have to reign it in as we stayed down that extra season. He and his team built a team from scratch including a new keeper. It’s not an exact science but by all means continue on with the night of the long knives.

The 90+2
31-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Scatter-gunning to include the likes of Craig and Dempster won’t help us.
What constraints is Craig working with - did we speculate too far and have to reign it in as we stayed down that extra season. He and his team built a team from scratch including a new keeper. It’s not an exact science but by all means continue on with the night of the long knives.

Craig has to be included. He’s in charge of a failing football operations.

J-C
31-08-2019, 06:34 PM
As I told you a few days ago, Kamberi came through Lennon’s mate Mark Fotheringham, he was not “discovered” by the recruitment team.

Yep I did forget you said that, my bad, getting auld and forgetful. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 06:35 PM
With our budget we should be picking up better quality players than most of the clubs in this league. That’s certainly not the case.
St.Johnston
Motherwell
Livingston
Kilmarnock

Four clubs you’d expect us to beat and finish above, now look like they all have better squads than us. That’s unacceptable for me. Time for change me thinks!

None of them have better squads. It's how our squad is being utilised that is poor

Crab apple
31-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Leaving only middleton on loan from our direct competitor's squad the only summer signing to make the starting eleven....and the budget is spent.
That's a shocker imo.

It’s a sackable offence imho. I wouldn’t be giving him anymore money to spend. He’s clueless when it comes to spotting a player.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Craig and Dempster are jokers.

Oot with Hecky!

Dempster is not a joker at all, ridiculous thing to say.

GoalsMcGinley
31-08-2019, 06:40 PM
I know that but you think they will be doing the latter part for free like? Dempster created ambassador roles as part of the deal. I used £2k per week, both of which will be on more than that for playing.

I can guarantee you that neither are on anywhere near £2,000 per week. They’re new contracts are both heavily reliant on appearance fees. They’re basics are around the £1,000 a week mark

J-C
31-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Even if that is correct, you are sort of defending the recruitment team by saying they are largely redundant and are only sparingly used...

The recruitment team are just that, Craig is not a DOF and has no say in who gets signed, the scouts will hand a list of players to Craig who then goes to the manager with them, it is then up to the manager who he wants if any at all and this manager wanted all his own signings and ignored the recruitment teams lists.

Beefster
31-08-2019, 06:41 PM

I’ve no real opinion on Craig but if that is true, it’s pretty damning for his leadership of the ‘football department’. Under the model we use, no player should be signed unless everyone (Craig, recruitment and the Head Coach) is on board. What’s the point of having a ****ing model, if you don’t follow it?

madhatter
31-08-2019, 06:53 PM
The recruitment team are just that, Craig is not a DOF and has no say in who gets signed, the scouts will hand a list of players to Craig who then goes to the manager with them, it is then up to the manager who he wants if any at all and this manager wanted all his own signings and ignored the recruitment teams lists.

Why did we recruit the manager then? Or why did we keep the recruitment team?

This is why I said, we’ve shifted from Head Coach model back to Manager model. Club have lost their way. Shouldn’t allow an unproven guy to splash the cash on unknown players and throw around 3 year contracts.

Sort this quickly Hibs.

The 90+2
31-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Craig has said he’s the DoF under a different position.

Carheenlea
31-08-2019, 07:00 PM

:agree:

J-C
31-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Why did we recruit the manager then? Or why did we keep the recruitment team?

This is why I said, we’ve shifted from Head Coach model back to Manager model. Club have lost their way. Shouldn’t allow an unproven guy to splash the cash on unknown players and throw around 3 year contracts.

Sort this quickly Hibs.

I agree, it started with Lennon, he used a lot of agent contacts and friends knowledge also, remember the recruitment team can only suggest players they've scouted, sometimes a manager/head coach has a list of his own which can be ok if the players are decent, Efe is a good example and Kamberi was suggested by a friend of Lennon. Maybe we allowed him to do his own thing because he came as this young up and coming head coach and maybe the prospect of him bringing up some we gems from down south was worth a punt, unfortunately there is only a very few wee gems down there and filling half your team with bottom tier players will give you bottom tier football.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 07:09 PM
I agree, it started with Lennon, he used a lot of agent contacts and friends knowledge also, remember the recruitment team can only suggest players they've scouted, sometimes a manager/head coach has a list of his own which can be ok if the players are decent, Efe is a good example and Kamberi was suggested by a friend of Lennon. Maybe we allowed him to do his own thing because he came as this young up and coming head coach and maybe the prospect of him bringing up some we gems from down south was worth a punt, unfortunately there is only a very few wee gems down there and filling half your team with bottom tier players will give you bottom tier football.

More gems in the Motherwell squad today. That is the most concerning thing, Motherwell had new players in their squad and they looked good. Ours are on the bench at best. Scouts should assess recommendations from the head coach before they happen. If that is happening then quite a few people need to fall on their swords.

We’ve continually become worse each time a member of the cup winning squad leaves. We should have been recruiting their understudies as they came to the end. We haven’t and that lies with recruitment team as much as the head coach. Recruitment team should do homework and call the head coach out on rubbish players.

Was succession planning not one of the phrases George Craig used when describing the department? When you add Hecky, George Craig and some others at the club...have we maybe reached the point where we have people good at talking but not at following through on everything they keep saying?

High press, high tempo, succession planning...

Weegreenman
31-08-2019, 07:20 PM
None of them have better squads. It's how our squad is being utilised that is poor

Min your opinion. I beg to differ, we are rotten at the minute. St.Johnston passed us off the park at home last week. They should have taken all three points. We all knew Motherwell would beat us today because what we have isn’t good enough.

The Captain....
31-08-2019, 07:32 PM
There was consistent rumours under the previous manager that the recruitment team and him and his assistant did not see eye to eye.

My understanding was that the current manager was recruited to work within the model we have in place. This was to avoid the conflict that became a problem under Lennon. That's the reason I find it hard to believe we've just gone back on that at the first transfer window. Not that I'm saying its untrue just that it's completely the opposite of what was expected. Almost more concerning if that's the case as it seems we're just winging it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Min your opinion. I beg to differ, we are rotten at the minute. St.Johnston passed us off the park at home last week. They should have taken all three points. We all knew Motherwell would beat us today because what we have isn’t good enough.

I remember similar talk when Livi beat us, a year ago yesterday. We finished well above them. Our manager is the issue, plenty decent players.

Dmas
31-08-2019, 07:37 PM
I remember similar talk when Livi beat us, a year ago yesterday. We finished well above them. Our manager is the issue, plenty decent players.

They couldn’t find each other with a pass 1st half today that’s not the managers fault, the manager is a major problem but those guys out there aren’t being told not to tackle

InchHibby
31-08-2019, 07:49 PM
I’m like most of the punters on here, I don’t really know who has the last say in signing players, but I do remember something in the line of Hecky has the final say.
Well whoever it is should be held responsible for this mess we’re in and yes even after four games it’s a right mess.
Let’s start with Heckingbottom as he’s the most out of his depth, hope your listening to the thousands of fans Leanne it’s time for him to go because if you don’t act now mark my words we will be out of the cup and in the bottom two in the league and all as soon as the next four games.

Jones28
31-08-2019, 07:51 PM

I’m sorry but that list is so flawed.

Hyndman had a good pedigree and was YPOTY at rangers.
Spector was a short term signing.
Shinnie and Graham were hardly disasters, Shinnie played a lot of games for us and Graham’s record was competing for space with Cummings, Holt and Keatings.

Lex7zero
31-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Yeah Hecky must go. He has brought in a lot of new signings and not one of them is up to SPFL standards. We are bottom 6 without a doubt. Just go Hecky and take all these sub standard English signings with you.

familyman
31-08-2019, 07:58 PM
You were right about the manager and you are right about him. Almost every player we sign isn't good enough to get in the team.
Yes players well below expected level ,even long term soldiers cannot go on and on...the formula and approach have been all wrong and it shows where it matters.
We see yet again crosses coming in from opposition on their left ..why oh why do we keep making the same mistakes. ?
Last season when at home to Celtic we could easily see older legs are no match for young wingers...it is the way of things and dare I say it natural.
The warning sings have been ignored. and now we pay the price....

madhatter
31-08-2019, 07:58 PM
I’m sorry but that list is so flawed.

Hyndman had a good pedigree and was YPOTY at rangers.
Spector was a short term signing.
Shinnie and Graham were hardly disasters, Shinnie played a lot of games for us and Graham’s record was competing for space with Cummings, Holt and Keatings.

So flawed you skipped over Mavrias, Nelom, Johnson, Rherras and Matulevicius.
Brian Graham should never have been a Hibs player.
Andrew Shinnie was regularly poor for us. Was he not one of the players that got a bad reception most of the time and frustrated because he was too soft for the league?
Hyndman has good pedigree so that means we should sign him without reviewing whether he was something we needed? He was rubbish for us.
Spector was pointless. As was Mavrias, Nelom, Rherras and Johnson. Maybe Mackie would be ready for 1st team if we didn’t sign Nelom for no apparent reason...

Did Porteous not get injured in a game against Motherwell while we played a back 3 with Mackie left back/wingback while Nelom sat on the bench?

McKenzie
31-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Hopefully Ron is currently reviewing the whole football operation because we are seriously lacking direction at the moment. Recruitment team, coaching team and playing staff all very much flawed in their own ways.

supermcginn
31-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Gtf

trev the hat
31-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Gtf

👆

ahibby
31-08-2019, 08:15 PM

Yes but still came out of available budget.

gillythehibby
31-08-2019, 08:21 PM
That's a shocker imo.

Agreed. I saud as much weeks ago when we were buying from the 3rd and 4th tier of English football. 1 by 1 those signings are being benched.

Bearders
31-08-2019, 08:22 PM
This

the manager always has final say on players.

Not always.

Scotty Leither
31-08-2019, 08:24 PM
LD isn't blameless in all this either - but I just hope she doesn't dig her heels in and protect PH just because she can.

Making a mistake isn't the end of the world, Leeann, just let him go and move on.

In a nutshell.

CapitalGreen
31-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Yes but still came out of available budget.

Budgets are set year on year, the length of contract does not make a difference to a single seasons budget. The impact on 2019/20 budget is the same whether the new contracts are 2 years or 4 years.

Scotty Leither
31-08-2019, 08:34 PM
More gems in the Motherwell squad today. That is the most concerning thing, Motherwell had new players in their squad and they looked good. Ours are on the bench at best. Scouts should assess recommendations from the head coach before they happen. If that is happening then quite a few people need to fall on their swords.

We’ve continually become worse each time a member of the cup winning squad leaves. We should have been recruiting their understudies as they came to the end. We haven’t and that lies with recruitment team as much as the head coach. Recruitment team should do homework and call the head coach out on rubbish players.

Was succession planning not one of the phrases George Craig used when describing the department? When you add Hecky, George Craig and some others at the club...have we maybe reached the point where we have people good at talking but not at following through on everything they keep saying?

High press, high tempo, succession planning...

Yup - i've always been impressed with the number of fast, tricky wide players that Motherwell recruit. The boy Seedorf was quick and direct today and varied his runs as well - came inside, went outside too with his pace and we couldn't (and can't) handle players like that.

The Board need to pay heed to the fans expressing concerns over this imposter of a manager as we've been in this movie before. Teams go one goal up against us, and the best we can hope for thereafter is a draw.

We're two defeats from going bottom of the league IMO, and it'll be a long way back after that if decisive action isn't taken now.

A good source told me today that he's only on a 3-month severance deal - if that's true, bite the bullet Leeann, admit your mistake and do the needful, because relegation will cost a lot more than 3 months salary will.

Jones28
31-08-2019, 08:40 PM
So flawed you skipped over Mavrias, Nelom, Johnson, Rherras and Matulevicius.
Brian Graham should never have been a Hibs player.
Andrew Shinnie was regularly poor for us. Was he not one of the players that got a bad reception most of the time and frustrated because he was too soft for the league?
Hyndman has good pedigree so that means we should sign him without reviewing whether he was something we needed? He was rubbish for us.
Spector was pointless. As was Mavrias, Nelom, Rherras and Johnson. Maybe Mackie would be ready for 1st team if we didn’t sign Nelom for no apparent reason...

Did Porteous not get injured in a game against Motherwell while we played a back 3 with Mackie left back/wingback while Nelom sat on the bench?

Those 5 were barely given a kick of the ball! The only one who got a run in the team was Mavrias and he made a handful of appearances.

How can GC be blamed for these signings?

Lex7zero
31-08-2019, 08:41 PM

Yes. Fair shout Craig has delivered nout in terms of signings. But let’s be clear Hecky was allowed to bring his band of sub standard English players in. A mistake obviously. Hecky and Craig can walk ASAP.

Bob Box Fish
31-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Budgets are set year on year, the length of contract does not make a difference to a single seasons budget. The impact on 2019/20 budget is the same whether the new contracts are 2 years or 4 years.

The club should be strategically planning ahead aka 3-5 years, our wages / turnover ratio is only good at the moment due to the average gates. The way we are going this will dramatically change.

CapitalGreen
31-08-2019, 08:44 PM
The club should be strategically planning ahead aka 3-5 years, our wages / turnover ratio is only good at the moment due to the average gates. The way we are going this will dramatically change.

I agree but that doesn’t change the fact that the length of contract given to a player this season has no impact on the current seasons budget as was suggested.

J-C
31-08-2019, 08:47 PM
I agree but that doesn’t change the fact that the length of contract given to a player this season has no impact on the current seasons budget as was suggested.

I'd assume wages, signing on fees and agent costs have taken up a large chunk of the budget.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Those 5 were barely given a kick of the ball! The only one who got a run in the team was Mavrias and he made a handful of appearances.

When the knives are oot there’s collateral damage.
Time for cool heads and considered decisions.

The 90+2
31-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Gtf

Orite George?

Falkirk fans send their regards.

CapitalGreen
31-08-2019, 08:52 PM
I'd assume wages, signing on fees and agent costs have taken up a large chunk of the budget.

Probably but they are not unique to this season I’ve seen nothing to suggest that this season they’d be higher than any other season.

The 90+2
31-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Bring back John Park and give him a free roll at the club. I would also bring back Donald.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-08-2019, 08:54 PM
When Leean and Craig are getting “air quotes” it must be getting serious.
#muchpuzzlement

madhatter
31-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Why were they made? Our head coach won’t be negotiating deals and our head of football operations should be able to veto any deals he thinks don’t benefit the club. I’m guessing George Craig thought they did otherwise he would’ve raised concerns, similar to what’s going on now unless our recruitment team are just yes people...

Pointless having a recruitment team if Head Coach doesn’t use them, or pointless having a head coach that doesn’t use the recruitment team. Which is it?

George Craig has a brilliant job if he isn’t actually responsible for anything. Head of Football Operations but any football downturn will only ever result in Head Coach sackings. Poor signings will always be Head Coach’s fault in this way then.

J-C
31-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Why were they made? Our head coach won’t be negotiating deals and our head of football operations should be able to veto any deals he thinks don’t benefit the club. I’m guessing George Craig thought they did otherwise he would’ve raised concerns, similar to what’s going on now unless our recruitment team are just yes people...

Pointless having a recruitment team if Head Coach doesn’t use them, or pointless having a head coach that doesn’t use the recruitment team. Which is it?

George Craig has a brilliant job if he isn’t actually responsible for anything. Head of Football Operations but any football downturn will only ever result in Head Coach sackings. Poor signings will always be Head Coach’s fault in this way then.

Crag is not a DOF and has no veto on any signings, he and his scouts can only recommend players, it's then up to the manager if he wants them, Craig runs all the behind the scenes stuff at HTC, oversees the scouts etc but has no input on coaching, he is Director of Football Operations.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Crag is not a DOF and has no veto on any signings, he and his scouts can only recommend players, it#s then up to the manager is he wants them, Craig runs all the behind the scenes stuff at HTC, oversees the scouts etc but has no input on coaching, he is Director of Football Operations.

Hang on, so who negotiates the deals? Who chases the players to see if they want tours etc? Is that not Graeme Mathie who works under George Craig? Club need to review how we are working if we’ve got scouts going out scouting players and then the head coach just says “I like Vela”.

Pretty sure Leeann could start vetoing deals if George Craig or someone from the recruitment team said “we’re getting ignored and we don’t think these players are very good”. Based on the flurry of players coming from English lower leagues, I’m guessing this hasn’t been happening.

J-C
31-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Hang on, so who negotiates the deals? Who chases the players to see if they want tours etc? Is that not Graeme Mathie who works under George Craig? Club need to review how we are working if we’ve got scouts going out scouting players and then the head coach just says “I like Vela”.

Pretty sure Leeann could start vetoing deals if George Craig or someone from the recruitment team said “we’re getting ignored and we don’t think these players are very good”. Based on the flurry of players coming from English lower leagues, I’m guessing this hasn’t been happening.

Another poster has already mentioned that 2 players were flagged as not good enough but the he insisted on them. I'd expect Leeann does the contracts, she was the one who went over to Belgium to sign Kamberi, Craig and his team do all the tours of ER and HTC and if the player is happy he'll sign.

If Leeann or Craig started vetoing deal it would look like they're undermining the head coach, seemingly there was a lot of frustration with Lennon due to him ignoring a few good players for his own, so yes I'm surprised they've allowed it to happen again. Maybe they felt Heckingbottom being a different coach from a different background he may have a better knowledge of the English leagues which they could utilise, we've seen other clubs getting decent players from the lower leagues but instead of just a couple, he's went for all our recruits.

GibbytheHibby2
31-08-2019, 09:29 PM

George Craig is an arse. I wouldn’t let him pick a soccer 7s team.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Another poster has already mentioned that 2 players were flagged as not good enough but the he insisted on them. I'd expect Leeann does the contracts, she was the one who went over to Belgium to sign Kamberi, Craig and his team do all the tours of ER and HTC and if the player is happy he'll sign.

If Leeann or Craig started vetoing deal it would look like they're undermining the head coach, seemingly there was a lot of frustration with Lennon due to him ignoring a few good players for his own, so yes I'm surprised they've allowed it to happen again. Maybe they felt Heckingbottom being a different coach from a different background he may have a better knowledge of the English leagues which they could utilise, we've seen other clubs getting decent players from the lower leagues but instead of just a couple, he's went for all our recruits.

That’s what I’m getting at, if they were annoyed with it under Lennon and saw what led to Hibs being relegated. Why just say “yes” to all these unknown players? I cannot understand it.

Did Hecky not say in one of his earliest interviews that he liked the Head Coach model as it allowed him more time on the training pitch? Why would he bother to force his own signings and take more ownership on what players were coming into the club?

Think most fans are struggling to work out what the club are doing.

J-C
31-08-2019, 09:48 PM
That’s what I’m getting at, if they were annoyed with it under Lennon and saw what led to Hibs being relegated. Why just say “yes” to all these unknown players? I cannot understand it.

Did Hecky not say in one of his earliest interviews that he liked the Head Coach model as it allowed him more time on the training pitch? Why would he bother to force his own signings and take more ownership on what players were coming into the club?

Think most fans are struggling to work out what the club are doing.

Probably because Heckingbottom got a reaction from the players to get us to 5th I'd assume.

Been told on Twitter that one of the players that was scouted and Craig was told was rubbish and not worth it was Vela but PH insisted on getting him in, Boltonhibs told us on another thread last week that he's been anonymous for the past 3 seasons, I think we're seeing that here.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Probably because Heckingbottom got a reaction from the players to get us to 5th I'd assume.

Been told on Twitter that one of the players that was scouted and Craig was told was rubbish and not worth it was Vela but PH insisted on getting him in, Boltonhibs told us on another thread last week that he's been anonymous for the past 3 seasons, I think we're seeing that here.

Worrying that we ground out a 5th place finish and then a head coach is given the power to throw cash around. Especially since it’s a head coach with a rubbish managerial record. I could understand if it was a legendary head coach, with 10 years+ experience, but it isn’t.

This is the return of Calderwood. Shambles.

tamig
31-08-2019, 09:54 PM

I’m not sure how many times you need to say this until people understand how it works. Its not rocket science.

madhatter
31-08-2019, 09:58 PM
I’m not sure how many times you need to say this until people understand how it works. Its not rocket science.

It’s not the actual thing people don’t understand. What’s the point having the department if 90% of the signings don’t come through their work? What’s the point recruiting a head coach that doesn’t use the recruitment department?

Surely how it currently works, Graeme Mathie could be on a flight to Barcelona for one of these club meet ups while Hecky’s phoning his pals down in England? Maybe I’m being thick, but how does this work in terms of being the best for the club when the head coach is ignoring what Graeme and the guys are coming back with? Why not recruit head coach that will use recruitment team, or get rid of recruitment team?

Crazyhorse
31-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Worrying that we ground out a 5th place finish and then a head coach is given the power to throw cash around. Especially since it’s a head coach with a rubbish managerial record. I could understand if it was a legendary head coach, with 10 years+ experience, but it isn’t.

This is the return of Calderwood. Shambles.

I don’t think we are quite at that level of shambles yet or the depths of Butcher’s implosion but I think we could sink to that. Sadly I’m now in the change the manager camp. I can’t see any way of him turning this round.
I guess the question now is who can we replace him with?

tamig
31-08-2019, 10:18 PM
It’s not the actual thing people don’t understand. What’s the point having the department if 90% of the signings don’t come through their work? What’s the point recruiting a head coach that doesn’t use the recruitment department?

Surely how it currently works, Graeme Mathie could be on a flight to Barcelona for one of these club meet ups while Hecky’s phoning his pals down in England? Maybe I’m being thick, but how does this work in terms of being the best for the club when the head coach is ignoring what Graeme and the guys are coming back with? Why not recruit head coach that will use recruitment team, or get rid of recruitment team?
It’s common in Europe for clubs to work with a DoF or Sporting Director who take control of all recruitment and the head coach has to work with those players he’s given and mould them into a team. We’re still a million miles away from that in this country. Not sure if it’s a cultural thing or what but managers here have always taken control of their own signings in the main. I’m sure we aspire to something like the European model but if the manager insists on doing his own thing what do you do? This was PH’s first and possibly last window. As JC said, maybe Leeann and GC didn’t want to stand on his toes and trusted him to use his own contacts in getting the guys in from down south. I’m sure it’s something that would have been discussed at PH’s interviews and was maybe something he insisted on before taking the job. A lesson learned for Leeann and GC perhaps.

ScottB
31-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I don’t think we are quite at that level of shambles yet or the depths of Butcher’s implosion but I think we could sink to that. Sadly I’m now in the change the manager camp. I can’t see any way of him turning this round.
I guess the question now is who can we replace him with?

Are we capable of making the right choice?

We picked Stubbs, obviously he delivered the cup, so despite arguably underperforming in the league, he can be labelled a successful pick.

It feels like Lennon came to us rather than the other way round, so not sure it was the result of any internal process the club undertook that led to his appointment.

Now of course we have Heckingbottom, who would appear to be a failure.

So for me, while Dempster has been good, she shouldn’t be seen as some Teflon coated mastermind when it comes to picking managers. The pressure will be on big time to ensure the next one is the right guy, and that recruitment on the playing side is improved / executed along the lines we’ve previously been told it would be.

Purple & Green
31-08-2019, 11:11 PM

That’s really unfair as several of those names were necessary cover rather than frontline signings.

Hi Heid Yin
31-08-2019, 11:24 PM
]Heckingbottom said he handed a list of targets in on his first day[/B] for the club to work on. Given they are coming from lower league England I would imagine most of the signings have come from that list.

Heckingbottom has displayed naive arrogance as well contempt for Scottish football.

Did he assume that the non-entities he has brought in could do a job at SPL level?

The more I think about his appointment, the more angry I become.

Shame on our club for settling for 2nd best after losing out on Appleton.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2019, 12:38 AM
He wouldn't know a decent player if one ran up and bit him on the ass

Bearders
01-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Crag is not a DOF and has no veto on any signings, he and his scouts can only recommend players, it's then up to the manager if he wants them, Craig runs all the behind the scenes stuff at HTC, oversees the scouts etc but has no input on coaching, he is Director of Football Operations.

He is “Head” of Football operations and despite your comment that the Manager has the final say that is not always the case. As an example Mavrias was injured for the bulk of his time with us - he was not a choice of the Manager at the time.

CraigHibee
01-09-2019, 08:03 AM

100% yet some folk lining up pot shots to George, he just identifies players that he recommends to the manager, its then up to the manager to make the decision, we cant force heck to make a specific signing although I'd say if heck did make the signings that had been suggested to him instead if signing lower English league dross we might not be in this current predicament.

PH to blame for this one imo

Heisenberg
01-09-2019, 08:06 AM
100% yet some folk lining up pot shots to George, he just identifies players that he recommends to the manager, its then up to the manager to make the decision, we cant force heck to make a specific signing although I'd say if heck did make the signings that had been suggested to him instead if signing lower English league dross we might not be in this current predicament.

PH to blame for this one imo

He also played a major role in hiring Heckingbottom in the first place.

We’ve had two absolutely brutal summer transfer windows in a row. George Craig is head of football operations and as such should be taking all of the criticism coming his way. As should LD.

If they have hired a manager that is not willing to work with the recruitment team then that is their issue.

green day
01-09-2019, 08:10 AM
He also played a major role in hiring Heckingbottom in the first place.

We’ve had two absolutely brutal summer transfer windows in a row. George Craig is head of football operations and as such should be taking all of the criticism coming his way. As should LD.

If they have hired a manager that is not willing to work with the recruitment team then that is their issue.

He is also ultimately responsible for the youth / development area which - Porteous aside - dont seem to be bearing much fruit.

I am always stunned when teams like Motherwell and Hamilton seem to consistently churn out good young players ready for the first team, or sell them for good money but we seem to be nowhere.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 08:18 AM
I still cannot understand the issue with signing lower league English players? It makes absolutely no difference where they come from. A team of the best league 1 players would absolutely smack us. Of course we should be looking at guys from there.

The Modfather
01-09-2019, 08:25 AM
I still cannot understand the issue with signing lower league English players? It makes absolutely no difference where they come from. A team of the best league 1 players would absolutely smack us. Of course we should be looking at guys from there.

The issue isn’t so much signing from the English lower leagues, but almost explicitly signing from that market. We should cherry pick then odd player, even then the profile should be young and up and coming players IMO.

green day
01-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Nobody has an issue with good players from anywhere.

The issue everyone seems to have is that the players we signed dont look like ones identified by our recruitment team who seem to identify players from all over - like McNulty, Milligan, Omeyonga to name a few.

It seems no coincidence that the current crop have come in when we have a manager who "knows" that market.

A straightforward case of misinterpreting salaries in England with quality required up here.

J-C
01-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Doidge League 2, James relegated to National league with Yeovil, Newell bit part player at a poor Rotherham, Jackson bit pat player at a poor Barnsley and Vela who the recruitment team advised against signing.

Smartie
01-09-2019, 08:28 AM

If we were competing in games, winning games or at least the players looked equal to or better than the ones they were signed to replace then nobody would have any complaints. I've generally found our better signings to have come from more humble surroundings than the bigger clubs.

When they look like failing (why we're so few of them considered capable of getting in our team yesterday) then questions need to be answered. There is not a lot of love or respect for Scottish football in certain circles down South and many people underestimate it. There are signs there that our manager is one of those people.

jacomo
01-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Doidge League 2, James relegated to National league with Yeovil, Newell bit part player at a poor Rotherham, Jackson bit pat player at a poor Barnsley and Vela who the recruitment team advised against signing.

How do you know this?

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 08:44 AM
So we’ve determined there’s absolutely no point in paying wages for the recruitment team at all? Just fire a scout to the Vauxhall conference and I can scout watching I-follow to any game they want in the lower leagues.

Heisenberg
01-09-2019, 08:45 AM
How do you know this?

He doesn’t. It’s a rumour which has turned into fact overnight.

J-C
01-09-2019, 08:47 AM
How do you know this?

I got a text from someone connected to the club, there was a post yesterday suggesting 2 players were scouted and advised PH not to sign them, the poster didn't know which 2. I asked the question and one of the names I got was Vela.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 08:47 AM

J-C can speak for himself and has.

J-C
01-09-2019, 08:51 AM
J-C can speak for himself and has.

It may not be him but after the text I got it was on a few threads on Twitter, the poster yesterday was adamant 2 players were seemingly scouted and we advised PH against them. TBH I'd say all if his signings should've been questioned more.

PaulSmith
01-09-2019, 08:52 AM

I’ll tell you why it’s a market that we can’t operate in, we end up paying over the odds for average players. If we sign sign several of them then we’re in trouble.

We succeeded in previous years by signing young Scottish players who had perhaps fallen by the way side or not had a chance. We supplemented that by sprinkling the squad with loan players who we could never normally afford.

George Craig was instrumental in changing this strategy in the summer.

The 90+2
01-09-2019, 08:54 AM
It may not be him but after the text I got it was on a few threads on Twitter, the poster yesterday was adamant 2 players were seemingly scouted and we advised PH against them. TBH I'd say all if his signings should've been questioned more.

👍 totally agree. Only James looks like he’s any sort of improvement at the moment and that’s because Gray and Whitts look goosed.

jeffers
01-09-2019, 08:57 AM
I’ll tell you why it’s a market that we can’t operate in, we end up paying over the odds for average players. If we sign sign several of them then we’re in trouble.

We succeeded in previous years by signing young Scottish players who had perhaps fallen by the way side or not had a chance. We supplemented that by sprinkling the squad with loan players who we could never normally afford.

George Craig was instrumental in changing this strategy in the summer.

There are good players in those leagues that are affordable at our level, trouble is we don't appear to have signed any of them. The bit in bold 100% agree, yet another thing Heckingbottom said but has turned out to be pish.

emerald green
01-09-2019, 09:12 AM

A recent quote from Leeann Dempster in the EEN:

"We've changed nine players, that's a bit unusual for us. That was a real decision from the football department to try and bring in some better quality players and have a smaller, tighter group. We have managed to do it early and we have high expectations for the players we've managed to bring in because they had opportunities to go elsewhere. Many of them have been good English Championship players, played at a high level and played lots of games in good leagues."

madhatter
01-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Motherwell identify better players from that level. Hell, Kilmarnock have Alan Power and Gary Dicker from that level and they’d do a lot to fix our midfield problem...

I think there are many people to blame as we’ve given up on our succession planning. Imagine a head coach looking at our squad when we are trying to recruit him...I’d be questioning how to get a solid hard working midfield to begin with. Then I’d be questioning how to get a fit back four.

GoalsMcGinley
01-09-2019, 09:43 AM

Can we put this to bed please? It is 100% genuine. TWO players.

Mr Grieves
01-09-2019, 10:11 AM
He is “Head” of Football operations and despite your comment that the Manager has the final say that is not always the case. As an example Mavrias was injured for the bulk of his time with us - he was not a choice of the Manager at the time.

Also, who was signing players in January when Lennon was away and before Heckingbottom started?

GoalsMcGinley
01-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Also, who was signing players in January when Lennon was away and before Heckingbottom started?

The recruitment team. Would you say our January signings were a success? Most of them were.

This mess is PH’s. No one else’s!!

Smartie
01-09-2019, 02:50 PM

The players signed in January before Heckingbottom arrived carried him through the second half of last season.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 02:56 PM
The recruitment team. Would you say our January signings were a success? Most of them were.

This mess is PH’s. No one else’s!!

No one on here knows the balance of input on our summer signings ....and if PH has done the business - it would raise significant questions around our model

Cataplana
01-09-2019, 03:00 PM
No one on here knows the balance of input on our summer signings ....and if PH has done the business - it would raise significant questions around our model

I think a couple of them, at least, are players he has previously worked with, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved.

bigwheel
01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
I think a couple of them, at least, are players he has previously worked with, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved.

I’d expect him to be involved in them
All ..but not in isolation