PDA

View Full Version : The defence

we are hibs
31-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Last 4 matches we have shipped 14 goals.

3 of the 4 teams are Morton in the cup, St.Johnstone and motherwell. In what planet is that acceptable or defendable?

The whole back line is chronically slow.

A Hi-Bee
31-08-2019, 04:05 PM

3 of the 4 teams are Morton in the cup, St.Johnstone and motherwell. In what planet is that acceptable or defendable?

No sane person could defend that defence, result of no replacing when we could.

neil7908
31-08-2019, 04:07 PM
The way he's set us up is an absolute joke. He keeps sticking with the same formation and personnel and expecting different results.

What's the definition of insanity again?

truehibernian
31-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Ageing, slow, predictable and lacking any link up threat - Hanlon has been dreadful last few months and Whittaker at full back again shows 1) we’re in trouble and 2) no development player is trusted to come in.

That said, whole midfield is rank rotten too. Passengers that watch the game run past them.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Defending is a team game, starting on the training pitch. It's definitely not just the back 4 to blame.

neil7908
31-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Defending is a team game, starting on the training pitch. It's definitely not just the back 4 to blame.

Very true. That midfield might as well be non existent when it comes comes to shielding the defence. Every Hibs fan can see Mallan is not the capable of playing that far back. But there he is week after week.

500miles
31-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Given a lot of those defenders have a record of dependability, that may suggest it's the coaching and set up.

SingaporeHibs
31-08-2019, 04:19 PM
They look beyond their collective sell by date i’m afraid. Whitty was horrific defensively today

bookert
31-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Given a lot of those defenders have a record of dependability, that may suggest it's the coaching and set up.

I agree, I wasnt at the game today but last week, Stevenson looked unsure if he was to support Middleton in attacke and hardly ventured past the half way line. That is not the way he naturally plays. Similarly on occasions when in seasons past Hanlon would have brought the ball out of defense, he was punting it forward , again not his natural game. It must be the coaching.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Very true. That midfield might as well be non existent when it comes comes to shielding the defence. Every Hibs fan can see Mallan is not the capable of playing that far back. But there he is week after week.

Mallan isn't capable of anything, he literally would not have made the bench in our championship team. Liam Craig and Scott Robertson actually much better players never mind Mcginn etc. Slivka was alone in central midfield today and although he wasn't great he was trying and plays with his head up/was finding Hibs players

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 04:24 PM
They look beyond their collective sell by date i’m afraid. Whitty was horrific defensively today

He was totally and utterly abandoned today. A fullback is not to blame for losing 1v1. The defending as a team was shocking

Weegreenman
31-08-2019, 04:25 PM

The whole back line are just Chronic :rolleyes:

Heisenberg
31-08-2019, 04:27 PM
He was totally and utterly abandoned today. A fullback is not to blame for losing 1v1. The defending as a team was shocking

Which has been glaringly obvious for weeks. Heckingbottom still sticks by the same setup week after week.

we are hibs
31-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Mallan isn't capable of anything, he literally would not have made the bench in our championship team. Liam Craig and Scott Robertson actually much better players never mind Mcginn etc. Slivka was alone in central midfield today and although he wasn't great he was trying and plays with his head up/was finding Hibs players

Its absolutely bizarre when you consider mallan rarely played under him at barnsley

LaMotta
31-08-2019, 04:34 PM

You dont half spout some pish. Your hatred for Mallan and the over the top love for Slivka is just plain weird.

Franck Stanton
31-08-2019, 04:59 PM
What defence ? Don't have one.

California-Hibs
31-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Jackson is utterly horrendous, shocking signing. Hanlon is getting slower by the season and see the same for Stevenson and Whittaker. Very very worrying. Only hope we have is Portous

jeffers
31-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Agree with your first sentence, but he backs off and backs off then lets the attacker breeze past him with barely a challenge made.

DoubleDangerous
31-08-2019, 05:30 PM
I hope Porto starts from here on in, with the armband. Hate to say it but hanlon isn’t up to scratch anymore.

hibeerealist
31-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Which has been glaringly obvious for weeks. Heckingbottom still sticks by the same setup week after week.

That is what most of us find unforgivable, a blind man can see how poor they are

Inconsequential
31-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Its absolutely bizarre when you consider mallan rarely played under him at barnsley Spot on! I'm puzzled by that one too. Signed him for a sizeable fee then hardly played him at Barnsley but plays him at Hibs and in his wrong position. He is much better further forward. Whether a fan of Mallan or not our player of the year is in poor form and I think his confidence has shot.

Squirrel 1875
31-08-2019, 05:45 PM
The space players get between our defence and midfield is insane. It comes from the tactics and formation Heckingbottom is playing. He is truly out of his depth.

He said in his interview about wanting to be a coach originally and not a manager. Recent performances would suggest he isn't particularly good at either.

GreenCastle
31-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Defend as a team.

We don’t look fit.

The back 4 defend deep because they are slow.

We have no DM and leave massive gaps all over the pitch - so we waste energy chasing about our awful passes.

Basically the shape is woeful and coaching team clueless.

Hibeewilly
31-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Jackson is utterly horrendous, shocking signing. Hanlon is getting slower by the season and see the same for Stevenson and Whittaker. Very very worrying. Only hope we have is Portous
That's how I see the back four that played today as well unfortunately...….some horrendous examples of poor defending from them today

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 07:11 PM
You dont half spout some pish. Your hatred for Mallan and the over the top love for Slivka is just plain weird.

I don't love or hate either player. I give my thoughts on them both as footballers.

Stop the personal shots please, it's a football forum.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Agree with your first sentence, but he backs off and backs off then lets the attacker breeze past him with barely a challenge made.

How would him diving in be better? The guy is our 3rd choice. I don't blame him at all, he shouldn't be playing. If Gray wasn't made of Weetabix it wouldn't be an issue.

The 90+2
31-08-2019, 07:13 PM
I hope Porto starts from here on in, with the armband. Hate to say it but hanlon isn’t up to scratch anymore.

I wouldn’t ruin his confidence.

Unseen work
31-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Jackson was the best out the back 4 by some distance for me today.

GreenCastle
31-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Motherwell moved Seedorf to the left wing to play directly against SW.

The 3rd goal was also due to our midfield no where to be seen and SW having a 1v1.

Both times Jackson also poor and Jackson’s school boy handball basically handed them the 3 points.

Leith Green
31-08-2019, 07:23 PM
The way he's set us up is an absolute joke. He keeps sticking with the same formation and personnel and expecting different results.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Its really easy to blame defenders when u are conceding goals but i think theres far more to it than that. Yes the defence has been poor , but the problems are all over the park and sitting in the dug out blaming the fans.

LaMotta
31-08-2019, 07:40 PM
I don't love or hate either player. I give my thoughts on them both as footballers.

Stop the personal shots please, it's a football forum.

Aye nae bother coming from the guy that floats weird accusations about posters inventing things that you dont agree with.

Its bizaare the constant hounding of Mallan and the over indulgence of Slivka. They both have their faults both have their strengths, but Mallan has achieved more in a Hibs shirt than Slivka that is unarguable.

Ultimately neither of them may be what Hibs need but your strange exaageration of Mallan's faults and Slivkas strengths deserves being called out.

Your views are without reason or balance.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Aye nae bother coming from the guy that floats weird accusations about posters inventing things that you dont agree with.

Its bizaare the constant hounding of Mallan and the over indulgence of Slivka. They both have their faults both have their strengths, but Mallan has achieved more in a Hibs shirt than Slivka that is unarguable.

Ultimately neither of them may be what Hibs need but your strange exaageration of Mallan's faults and Slivkas strengths deserves being called out.

Your views are without reason or balance.

Yes, it is unarguable. Slivka has achieved a 4th and a 5th place finish, a league cup semi, 2 wins over Celtic, 2 over Rangers, 3 over hearts since he's been here.

Mallan has a 5th and 1 win over Celtic and hearts. He also scored a few goals at the start of last season, 4 against part time Faroe side.

I actually haven't posted about Slivka in a while. He is still a much better player than Mallan.

I really would appreciate if you would stop taking personal shots at me and my opinions, keep it football related please.

LaMotta
31-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Yes, it is unarguable. Slivka has achieved a 4th and a 5th place finish, a league cup semi, 2 wins over Celtic, 2 over Rangers, 3 over hearts since he's been here.

Mallan has a 5th and 1 win over Celtic and hearts. He also scored a few goals at the start of last season, 4 against part time Faroe side.

I actually haven't posted about Slivka in a while. He is still a much better player than Mallan.

I really would appreciate if you would stop taking personal shots at me and my opinions, keep it football related please.

Slivka hasn't achieved all those things, he has hardly been in the team to do so.

He is not a much better player than Mallan. No matter how much you arrogantly post that. One of them has multiple assists goals and a players player of the year award the other one we know is Slivka. I like them both but to say Slivka is much better is laughable.

Your posting style is dismissive and condascending to other peoples opinions on here so you shouldn't really get upset if people call you out for your imbalanced biased views.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Slivka hasn't achieved all those things, he has hardly been in the team to do so.

He is not a much better player than Mallan. No matter how much you arrogantly post that. One of them has multiple assists goals and a players player of the year award the other one we know is Slivka. I like them both but to say Slivka is much better is laughable.

Your posting style is dismissive and condascending to other peoples opinions on here so you shouldn't really get upset if people call you out for your imbalanced biased views.

Mallan used to get goals and assists. He hasn't regularly done those things for a while. By your logic he's better than McGeouch because he never got goals or assists either. I'll keep to my opinions, based on actually watching players, not following the sheep or judging from statistics. Slivka definitely a better player.

Call me out all you like, I won't change my style or opinions.

GordonHFC
01-09-2019, 08:12 AM
The defence is slow but it gets put under a lot of pressure when nobody in the midfield can make a tackle.