PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad John

DanishJohn
30-08-2019, 05:59 AM
This is a request for help from probably some of the older guys.

I remember fondly the great bear of a man John McNamee playing for Hibs and being heartbroken when he left for Newcastle Utd.

It is always reported that he was part of the Newcastle team that won the old Fairs cup (Uefa cup) in 1969.
He wasn't. He played in all the other rounds and by all accounts had a magnificent game in the semi-final whilst brushing aside the threat of one Colin Stein and the rest of his Rangers cohorts.

Any idea why he never played in the final?

Could be he was injured or was it because he was Big Bad John?

PS Also worth remembering Jim Scott's contribution.

Hiber-nation
30-08-2019, 06:25 AM
This is a request for help from probably some of the older guys.

I remember fondly the great bear of a man John McNamee playing for Hibs and being heartbroken when he left for Newcastle Utd.

It is always reported that he was part of the Newcastle team that won the old Fairs cup (Uefa cup) in 1969.
He wasn't. He played in all the other rounds and by all accounts had a magnificent game in the semi-final whilst brushing aside the threat of one Colin Stein and the rest of his Rangers cohorts.

Any idea why he never played in the final?

Could be he was injured or was it because he was Big Bad John?

PS Also worth remembering Jim Scott's contribution.

He just wasn't a regular in the team. He played 3 games in the Fairs Cup run. The regular centre backs were Bobby Moncur and Ollie Burton.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/newcastle-united/tab/players/season/1969/comp/208/

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 07:42 AM
I remember the record on the radio from the sixties “Big Bad John”

My Dad was a big fan and every time we had a kick about if I tried to go past him he would boot a young Billyhibs up in the air and say “John MacNamee They shall not pass!”

Jock Steins first signing from Celtic when he joined us as Manager from Dunfermline a class act

Golden Bear
30-08-2019, 07:58 AM
He just wasn't a regular in the team. He played 3 games in the Fairs Cup run. The regular centre backs were Bobby Moncur and Ollie Burton.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/newcastle-united/tab/players/season/1969/comp/208/

I don't want this thread to go "off topic" but that name "Ollie Burton" brings back some amazing and frightening memories.

I was persuaded by my Newcastle fanatic mate to travel south to attend a midweek testimonial match for Ollie Burton against Newcastle's great rivals Sunderland.

It turned out to be absolute mayhem, I've never seen football violence like it in my life, it made The Rangers v Celtic look like a sunday school picnic. I was delighted to get home unscathed and all for a guy whom I'd scarcely heard off until that night.

It's funny now but it sure wasn't at the time!

Greenbeard
30-08-2019, 09:16 AM
I don't want this thread to go "off topic" but that name "Ollie Burton" brings back some amazing and frightening memories.

I was persuaded by my Newcastle fanatic mate to travel south to attend a midweek testimonial match for Ollie Burton against Newcastle's great rivals Sunderland.

It turned out to be absolute mayhem, I've never seen football violence like it in my life, it made The Rangers v Celtic look like a sunday school picnic. I was delighted to get home unscathed and all for a guy whom I'd scarcely heard off until that night.

It's funny now but it sure wasn't at the time!
So much further off topic that it is a bounty bar but the Newcastle-Sunderland football rivalry (Geordies v Mackems) and associated violence goes way back.