PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker legend

lord bunberry
29-08-2019, 11:49 PM
It breaks my heart the way a club legend like Steven Whittaker is currently being treated. What have we become as a support when a guy like Whittaker is treated the way he is? Remember when he left and donated his signing on fee to the hibs academy? The boy is treated like an imposter while someone who has shat on us is treated like a god. I love Scott Allan, but in the grand scheme of things he’s not in the same league as Whittaker in hibs history. Steven Whittaker is a hibs legend and he deserves the respect that every other hibs legend gets. It’s time to get off the guys back.

CMurdoch
29-08-2019, 11:59 PM
I agree.
He is having a good season so no excuses (not counting anything in the Rangers game after Mackie soiled himself)

Shrekko
30-08-2019, 12:11 AM
It breaks my heart the way a club legend like Steven Whittaker is currently being treated. What have we become as a support when a guy like Whittaker is treated the way he is? Remember when he left and donated his signing on fee to the hibs academy? The boy is treated like an imposter while someone who has shat on us is treated like a god. I love Scott Allan, but in the grand scheme of things he’s not in the same league as Whittaker in hibs history. Steven Whittaker is a hibs legend and he deserves the respect that every other hibs legend gets. It’s time to get off the guys back.

Well said👍

Cup winner who we made loads of money on- and he left with class.

Came back and has been a good squad player capable of some great stuff still.

Model pro... but yet a minority want to abuse him?

lord bunberry
30-08-2019, 12:13 AM
I agree.
He is having a good season so no excuses (not counting anything in the Rangers game after Mackie soiled himself)
For me mate it doesn’t really matter how he’s playing. The guy is a returning legend from a team that was packed full off great players of which Steven was not just one, but a shining light. When he left he had enough feeling for us that he donated his signing on fee to the hibs academy. That donation amounted to tens of thousands of pounds. The guy is one of us and should be treated a lot better than he is.

lord bunberry
30-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Well said👍

Cup winner who we made loads of money on- and he left with class.

Came back and has been a good squad player capable of some great stuff still.

Model pro... but yet a minority want to abuse him?
:top marks

Stantons Angel
30-08-2019, 12:17 AM

I wouldnt go as far as Legend status for Steven but i have to agree that the way he is treated is ridiculous. Ok he left and went to the darkside but he also left there too and the Rangers support treat him badly too. We dont want to be tagged with the same brush as them now do we?

This season he has come in and played well for us and we are lucky to have such an experiened player in our squad in this climate of injuries and call offs.

He may not be as fast as he once was in the green and white but he wont let us down. Lets stop all this booing and get with our team again. The season has just started and it will be a long labouris one if we have to listen to that every game.You can do much better than that !

Victor
30-08-2019, 12:22 AM

I sincerely hope you are not being sarcastic, but I feel the same way. He was and still is one of the best players that have played for Hibs. I feel that a lot of the negativity that appears on Hibs.net Is because he played for those who shan’t be named. I also believe that it must be very difficult for him, when every time he plays all he hears are moans and groans from the ‘support’. It must be very hard to do your job with so many willing you to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
30-08-2019, 12:23 AM
I wouldnt go as far as Legend status for Steven but i have to agree that the way he is treated is ridiculous. Ok he left and went to the darkside but he also left there too and the Rangers support treat him badly too. We dont want to be tagged with the same brush as them now do we?

This season he has come in and played well for us and we are lucky to have such an experiened player in our squad in this climate of injuries and call offs.

He may not be as fast as he once was in the green and white but he wont let us down. Lets stop all this booing and get with our team again. The season has just started and it will be a long labouris one if we have to listen to that every game.You can do much better than that !
I don’t know how old you are obviously, but I’ve seen 3 trophies in my lifetime and every player in those teams are legends. Keith Wright and David Gray are the biggest legends obviously, but the rest of those teams deserve legendary status and Steven is one of them.

lord bunberry
30-08-2019, 12:32 AM
I sincerely hope you are not being sarcastic, but I feel the same way. He was and still is one of the best players that have played for Hibs. I feel that a lot of the negativity that appears on Hibs.net Is because he played for those who shan’t be named. I also believe that it must be very difficult for him, when every time he plays all he hears are moans and groans from the ‘support’. It must be very hard to do your job with so many willing you to fail.

I can assure you I’m not being sarcastic. Whittaker on the right and Murphy on the left was the stuff of dreams. I had to take a minute to reflect there. I honestly wonder how we always manage to **** it all up.

Victor
30-08-2019, 12:37 AM
I can assure you I’m not being sarcastic. Whittaker on the right and Murphy on the left was the stuff of dreams. I had to take a minute to reflect there. I honestly wonder how we always manage to **** it all up.

[emoji106]

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 02:35 AM

Was never that great at defending in his heyday. Always best going forward. Think his lack of pace and slower reactions now make him.very vulnerable.

Diclonius
30-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Arguably been our best full back this season so far.

bigwheel
30-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Don’t think there is even an argument on that one..I’d say he is in our top 3-4 performers this season ..

Good OP..deserves respect. Good pro

Viva_Palmeiras
30-08-2019, 04:54 AM
Folks can always buy a ticket for the away end if targeting out players is their thing.

hibbydog
30-08-2019, 05:11 AM
Folks can always buy a ticket for the away end if targeting out players is their thing.

Or they can p*ss off and watch their football at tynecastle.

Great thread. Whitts deserves our full support.
GGTTH

Paisley Hibby
30-08-2019, 05:29 AM
Was never that great at defending in his heyday. Always best going forward. Think his lack of pace and slower reactions now make him.very vulnerable.

Aw man, there's always one. So far this has been a great positive thread and then you have to join in with your negativity 🙄 I really don't understand why folk like you feel the need to do that. For what it's worth I completely agree with the OP.

matty_f
30-08-2019, 05:37 AM
Cracking OP:agree:

Whitaker is, and always will be, a cup winning legend at the club.

He gives his all in whichever position he’s asked to play, never hides, and has been one of our best players this season.

whiskyhibby
30-08-2019, 05:40 AM

Well,said! :flag::flag:

Slavers
30-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Best post on Hibs.net for a while. Steven was a stand out during the golden area.

He is playing well I think it's time for the majority of Hibs fans to show their appreciation for a Hibs legend and drown out the noise of the boo boys.

berwickhibee
30-08-2019, 06:01 AM
Well,said! :flag::flag:

Great post.

Had a great career and never let hibs down.
We alsp were rewarded handsomely when he decided to move on. The man is a class act.

Brooster
30-08-2019, 06:19 AM
I totally agree. Whittaker has been our best defender this season, keep up the good work.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2019, 06:29 AM
He's been written off so many times, yet comes back and performs well. He's not the player that left, but he's still capable of coming in and making a good contribution when called on.

Even Steven would know he's probably a back up player when everyone is fit, but he will also know that injuries and suspensions are inevitable, and he will get plenty of game time.

It's a squad game, which he is a valuable member of, and a club legend. :top marks

ian cruise
30-08-2019, 06:37 AM
Great player for us before, not convinced based on last season he's what we need now but he's been good so far this season (even if we've not been) so I'm prepared to admit I may be wrong, I hope I am.

Regardless he shouldn't be getting booed by fans.

B.H.F.C
30-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Definitely a Hibs legend.

Won a trophy which not many folk have done for Hibs. Played in two of the best Hibs teams I’ve seen, 10 years apart. Made us a lot of money as well.

Couldn’t really have achieved too much more in his time at us.

And he’s not as bad now as folk would have you believe although he is having to play more regularly than he should.

Bob Box Fish
30-08-2019, 06:47 AM
I think Steven has embraced Heckingbottom’s brand of high pressing, free flowing football and taken his game to the next level...

Joking aside, he has been our best player alongside Kamberi this season I would like to see him in the middle instead of Mallan but he will probably replace Gray until James returns.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Totally agree. Baffling the abuse he gets. We are as bad as anyone when it comes to turning on our own players.

theonlywayisup
30-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Good OP LB.

There are some on .net who appear do be negative on anything and everything that SW does. I think we all know the individuals by now!!!!

When the general consensus is that he was excellent, the same individuals come on here and say "he was alright, nothing special".

When the general consensus is that his play was average (some good, some bad), the same individuals come on here and say "he's brutal, nowhere near good enough for a Hibs team that wants to compete....". Like all players, he's going to have good moments and some that were not as good.

I've no proof to say that it's these guys that are booing him on the pitch, but I wouldn't be surprised. To me, they can't wait to focus on the negatives and totally ignore the positives when it comes to SW.

In my opinion, we should be applauding SW for all he's achieved at Hibs. As for the "boo boys", I'd be very happy for them never to watch a Hibs game again.

Robbo6-2
30-08-2019, 06:54 AM
Playing well this season so far apart from Ibrox but everyone was humpty that day.

Looks in great shape for his age, no doubt hesnt as quick as he used to be but hes still a decent squad player.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Never understood it tbh

Not as quick as he once was but as others have said an auld heid with loads of experience

SPL x 3 Scottish Cup x 2 League Cup x 4 31 Scotland Caps Played in the EPL and a UEFA Cup Final

He knows what is required at our level and has loads of wisdom to pass onto the young laddies and most importantly the new recruits from England

I remember at the very start of the season Paul Heckingbottom went out of his way to say that Steven Whittaker will be an important part of the squad and quite rightly so he has never let us down

I remember one game under Lennon versus Patrick Thistle the game had just kicked off and a guy in the West Lower beside me gave him torrents of abuse for no particular reason until Steven Whittaker scored a cracker everyone started laughing at the guy and he was forced to laugh and shout “ Well done Steven!”

Nuts!

Legend

:not worth

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2019, 07:19 AM

I disagree and his performances back me up, his experience and all round ability have proved him to be anything but vulnerable. Steven Whittaker is an intelligent footballer who can cope easily without having pace.

.Sean.
30-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Excellent OP. Some of the pelters he’s received over the last couple years from folk around me in the East is ridiculous. Some abuse from younger guys but most from those who are old enough to remember him first time round and should know better.

JXM73
30-08-2019, 08:12 AM
If he's playing **** I'll give him as much stick as anyone else playing ****.

bigwheel
30-08-2019, 08:15 AM

That’s the spirit !

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Aw man, there's always one. So far this has been a great positive thread and then you have to join in with your negativity 🙄 I really don't understand why folk like you feel the need to do that. For what it's worth I completely agree with the OP.
You have to face facts. His strengths are attacking on the flanks. He has us cost goals this season and his age means even slower now. I have never booed him but he is one of reasons we are weak defensively. He is beaten consistently and dangerous crosses fired in. He should never have been given the length of contract he got at his age and the money he is on.

Robbo6-2
30-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Does he even get as much stick as people make out?

The happy clappers are prone to an exaggeration both in terms of praise and blowing up if anyone dares question a players performance.

Onceinawhile
30-08-2019, 08:17 AM

He's not though.

Also, why shout abuse at footballers? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Hurling abuse at people you don't know?

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 08:21 AM
When people say Happy Clapper what do they actually mean? Is someone that doesnt like abusing their own players a happy clapper? Bizarre! The term makes me cringe!

bigwheel
30-08-2019, 08:22 AM
You have to face facts. His strengths are attacking on the flanks. He has us cost goals this season and his age means even slower now. I have never booed him but he is one of reasons we are weak defensively. He is beaten consistently and dangerous crosses fired in. He should never have been given the length of contract he got at his age and the money he is on.

You know what money he is on??

more importantly, he has been one of our best , most consistent performers this season ..why not recognise and celebrate that for a while

wookie70
30-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Agree with that. Whitts was a Trophy winner with us. There are so few of them over the decades I think they can all be considered legends. He also had a career that is the envy of the vast majority of Scottish players and has treated us with respect and generosity. He is a model pro and is still a decent player albeit lost a bit of his speed given his years. Allan seems to be able to do no wrong with some fans. He is a great player when on song but that isn't every game and he never exactly covered himself in glory when he tried to maneuver a deal to The Rangers. I hope Allan becomes a legend in time but for me Whitts is there and it is a mark of how poor our support are at the moment that he gets so much criticism.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 08:27 AM
You know what money he is on??

more importantly, he has been one of our best , most consistent performers this season ..why not recognise and celebrate that for a while

He is one of our highest earners and partly the causes of our defensive frailties. I don't boo him because not his fault we signed him. That is down to Lennon and the recruitment team.

Jones28
30-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Imo it’s because he went to rangers. Would he be getting as hard a time if he’d gone to England or even to Celtic?

The_Horde
30-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Above all else the guy is one of the most talented players at the football club, technically.

Give him another 4 years.

Shrekko
30-08-2019, 08:29 AM
When people say Happy Clapper what do they actually mean? Is someone that doesnt like abusing their own players a happy clapper? Bizarre! The term makes me cringe!

Diversion tactics.

I think in this day and age there’s very few people that blindly support everything a club does but when you even try and be rational by suggesting that excessive negativity helps nobody then that’s what you get labelled.

Even if you are a ‘happy clapper’, whatever on earth that is, the name callers must surely realise that it’s preferable to constantly abusing your own club?

bigwheel
30-08-2019, 08:29 AM
He is one if our highest earners and partly the causes of our defensive frailties. I don't boo him because not his fault we signed him. That is down to Lennon and the recruitment team.

He isn’t ..he traded salary for length of deal ...but don’t let your view get in the way of the truth ...you need to be more open to what’s actually happening on the pitch this season - rather than assume from last seasons performances ..he has been good this season

lyonhibs
30-08-2019, 08:31 AM
A cup winning legend and what a player the first time around. Would never abuse him from the stands but in an ideal world, I don't want to see him starting many games, especially at right back.

But with the injuries we've got, it's a squad game and as stop gaps go, Whittaker is a great option to have.

I'm not sure what brought this thread on though - has he been getting targeted abuse (more than just the odd "FFS that's ***** Whittaker") from the stands this season?

JXM73
30-08-2019, 08:33 AM
He's not though.

Also, why shout abuse at footballers? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Hurling abuse at people you don't know?

Who said anything about abuse? Wind yer neck in happy clapper

Velma Dinkley
30-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Steven is now an ambassador for the Dnipro Kids orphanage charity. Top bloke. :thumbsup:

Carheenlea
30-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Imo it’s because he went to rangers. Would he be getting as hard a time if he’d gone to England or even to Celtic?

There’s definitely something in that. Kevin Thompson was similarly received and divided opinion, and to maybe a lesser degree Ian Murray. Yet guys who are playing against us for Celtic still get “Broonie” this and “Leigh” that from Hibs fans.
Whittaker has had two or three poor games since his return, but has had many solid performances as you would expect from an experienced pro and is a valuable asset to the squad.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 08:44 AM
It’s the frustration of him playing and signed on a three year deal and nothing to do with him personally. Whittaker playing now indicates a step in the wrong direction.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 08:44 AM
There’s definitely something in that. Kevin Thompson was similarly received and divided opinion, and to maybe a lesser degree Ian Murray. Yet guys who are playing against us for Celtic still get “Broonie” this and “Leigh” that from Hibs fans.
Whittaker has had two or three poor games since his return, but has had many solid performances as you would expect from an experienced pro and is a valuable asset to the squad.

Thomson was much better second time around than Whitt’s or Murray.

Carheenlea
30-08-2019, 08:48 AM
It’s the frustration of him playing and signed on a three year deal and nothing to do with him personally. Whittaker playing now indicates a step in the wrong direction.

Will he get booed less as his contract winds down ?

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Will he get booed less as his contract winds down ?

Depends if he plays. That indicates the side isn’t good enough.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 08:51 AM
He has played in all 3 league games. Against ST Mirren had a good first half but faded badly in second half as ST Mirren launched attacks down his side and was left wanting for pace. EEN gave him a 7.

Against Rangers was ripped to shreds and under continuous pressure. EEN gave him a 4.

Against ST Jonstone after he came on for Gray, the Saints piled down his side, leaving him standing firing in crosses. EEN gave him a 5.

J-C
30-08-2019, 08:51 AM
I was one who thought he was poor and well past his best, seemingly playing while not fully fit too. Injury free and a decent pre season has made a difference, not an immediate starter but decent back with an old experienced head.

brog
30-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Really? I liked KT but he only started 22 league games in 3 seasons 2nd time around.

Since452
30-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Totally agree. No need for it. Actually think he's been alright this season so far.

bigwheel
30-08-2019, 08:57 AM
He has played in all 3 league games. Against ST Mirren had a good first half but faded badly in second half as ST Mirren launched attacks down his side and was left wanting for pace. EEN gave him a 7.

Against Rangers was ripped to shreds and under continuous pressure. EEN gave him a 4.

Against ST Jonstone after he came on for Gray, the Saints piled down his side, leaving him standing firing in crosses. EEN gave him a 5.

He was MOM vs Saints

Everyone was ***** vs Rangers

He also did well when he came on V Morton

He did nothing wrong V St J ..others did....

You seem to be suggesting he has been poor when played this season - quite a remarkable conclusion imho

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2019, 08:59 AM
He is easily one of the best footballers at the club as well. Fantastic touch, 2 footed, calm under pressure, plays some unreal passes. He is the one who should be staying and teaching the kids, they'd learn how to play football from him.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2019, 09:01 AM

He wasn't, Murray especially was really good for about 18 months, one of our best players.

B.H.F.C
30-08-2019, 09:02 AM

No it doesn’t, it indicates we have injuries in the positions he plays.

He’s a backup player and we’d be toiling to have a backup player as good as him IMO. He’s having to play more than we’d want.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Really? I liked KT but he only started 22 league games in 3 seasons 2nd time around.

Brog you missed out the important bit

Heading the ball off the line in the closing minutes versus the yams at 2-2 to keep us on track for the Holy Grail

Put a line through the League Cup Final versus Ross County 😁

brog
30-08-2019, 09:06 AM
You do remember he switched positions in the 2nd half? I was at St M game, Whitty was my MOTM & the MOTM for the 2 Hibs legends I was with.

That describes the whole team once we were down to 10, or more realistically, the last 20 minutes.

They didn't. Both St J goals came through the inside right channel, the 2nd produced a corner from which they scored.

We're in real trouble now if you're relying on the EEN to back your judgment. My comments on your comments are in bold above.

brog
30-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Brog you missed out the important bit

Heading the ball off the line in the closing minutes versus the yams at 2-2 to keep us on track for the Holy Grail

Put a line through the League Cup Final versus Ross County 😁

I agree Billy, I felt sorry that KT didn't get on bench for final.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 09:11 AM
I agree Billy, I felt sorry that KT didn't get on bench for final.

👍🏾

MrRobot
30-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Whittaker is treated so badly by some Hibs fans despite never actually being as bad as some would have you believe.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Players must talk. Often wondered if the abuse lately has put any players off joining us.

Smartie
30-08-2019, 09:40 AM
He's doing a pretty good job of winning the fans over again.

He was getting abuse over the past couple of seasons. He wasn't playing well but the abuse was totally uncalled for.

There are still people who are waiting for him to make a mistake to jump on his back but tbh his mistakes are few and far between at the moment.

I'd be surprised if the "treatment" he receives is any different to that of any other player going forward. There is a fair bit of anxiety amongst our support and we are baying for our own players just waiting for them to make a mistake.

If he keeps playing as he has been then he'll quickly find himself in the "can do no wrong" category.

Weegreenman
30-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Tbf that wouldn’t be very hard. :cb

Whittaker is a legend but your either happy to accept mediocrity or your not.? Plenty folk on here would be very happy to fill our squad with very average or players that are simply past it.
Whilst I don’t boo or agree with anyone giving any player a hard time on the park, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to highlight a player if they aren’t at the level we expect on a forum such as this.
Whitty has always had a tendency to be either sublime with his roving runs and his wee twirls were he unexpectedly comes away with the ball or he’s a player that can struggle to pass a ball five yards.

Consistency is key for Whitty!

neil7908
30-08-2019, 09:50 AM
He definitely gets too much stick but legend? Not for me. Just winning a trophy isn't enough to be given that title.

Famous Five, Pat Stanton, Sauzee, Sir David are legends.

Whittaker is a model pro who did well by the club and should be remembered fondly.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 09:55 AM
He definitely gets too much stick but legend? Not for me. Just winning a trophy isn't enough to be given that title.

Whittaker is a model pro who did well by the club and should be remembered fondly.

I would disagree with that. Everyone has their own idea of what makes a club legend. But for a team that has only ever won 6 major cups in 144 years, everyone that played is a legend to me.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 10:02 AM
They didn't. Both St J goals came through the inside right channel, the 2nd produced a corner from which they scored.

We're in real trouble now if you're relying on the EEN to back your judgment. My comments on your comments are in bold above.

The second St Jonstone goal came from a cross from the left. The move for the first started on the left where they opened us up. EEN news are fair and in fact the 7 was too generous in the ST Mirren game.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 10:26 AM

All three aren’t/weren’t the best but Thommo wasn’t as finished as Murray and Whittaker. Just my opinion. Whittaker’s including usually suggests a step backward that’s why it’s a bit hostile. He is a hibs hero though and I still get flashbacks to the shot hitting both posts at Tynie. He’s not a legend.

One Day Soon
30-08-2019, 10:27 AM
A great thread because the OP is spot on and also because it ignites my nostalgia for that time the 'Scott Brown - Hibs Legend' .net wars broke out.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 10:28 AM
A great thread because the OP is spot on and also because it ignites my nostalgia for that time the 'Scott Brown - Hibs Legend' .net wars broke out.

Neither are legends.

MikeyS
30-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Sauzee is the best player I've seen at Hibs & I dont think I'll witness anyone better in the future but I dont think he qualifies as a legend. Cult hero probably but I reckon you need to win something to be a real legend

There will be exceptions of course, Riordan being the probably obvious one. I doubt any of us will see someone score that amount for us again.

MikeyS
30-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Players must talk. Often wondered if the abuse lately has put any players off joining us.

Having spoke to him over the summer & the subject of fans opinions/abuse came up, I dont think he or many other players care what's said. He kind of laughed it off really.

It wasnt quite the same as Colin Nish's thoughts all those years ago about the 95% of fans but it kind of rings true.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Having spoke to him over the summer & the subject of fans opinions/abuse came up, I dont think he or many other players care what's said. He kind of laughed it off really.

It wasnt quite the same as Colin Nish's thoughts all those years ago about the 95% of fans but it kind of rings true.

Nice to get a bit of insight. I guess it depends on the confidence of the person. Joe Tortolano’ recent interview was an eye opener. The abuse affected him big style.

One Day Soon
30-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Neither are legends.

Both are legends.

MikeyS
30-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Nice to get a bit of insight. I guess it depends on the confidence of the person. Joe Tortolano’ recent interview was an eye opener. The abuse affected him big style.

Yeah each players is different of course and Joe's abuse was certainly more than Steven Whittaker or any other recent player has had to deal with. Thankfully.

Smartie
30-08-2019, 11:03 AM

It irked a good few of Joe's teammates too, who liked him and rated him as a player.

Many of the players at that time had a love/ hate relationship with the manager and they had much more loyalty to the player/ person than the man who played him out of position or the fans who gave him grief when he struggled there.

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Who said anything about abuse? Wind yer neck in happy clapper

So booing an individual player is not abusing him? Booing any players is bad patter anyway.

Sammy7nil
30-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Tbf that wouldn’t be very hard. :cb

Whittaker is a legend but your either happy to accept mediocrity or your not.? Plenty folk on here would be very happy to fill our squad with very average or players that are simply past it.
Whilst I don’t boo or agree with anyone giving any player a hard time on the park, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to highlight a player if they aren’t at the level we expect on a forum such as this.
Whitty has always had a tendency to be either sublime with his roving runs and his wee twirls were he unexpectedly comes away with the ball or he’s a player that can struggle to pass a ball five yards.

Consistency is key for Whitty!

Name players from our current squad that dont fall in to that category? You will struggle to get past 4 or 5 players imho of course.

Whits was a great player for Hibs in a very exciting team, we got good money for him he owes Hibs nothing. Obviously he is not the player he was but still has plenty to offer.

Whether he is a legend or a great that is for individuals to decide based on their own criteria.

Borderhibbie76
30-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Don’t think there is even an argument on that one..I’d say he is in our top 3-4 performers this season ..

Good OP..deserves respect. Good proI reckon after Kamberi and Allan...hes our 3rd best performer so far this season.

Deserves much better form the majority of our support I agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
30-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Thing is, I think you'd struggle to find a Hibs fan that thinks Whittaker is a bad guy or doesn't deserve respect. There are a large number who feel he isn't good enough to be playing for us right now, which they are entitled to do. Unfortunately too many feel the best way to articulate this is by abusing the guy like some sort of pantomime villain.

It says nothing about Whitty as a person, only those doing the abusing.

neil7908
30-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Sauzee is the best player I've seen at Hibs & I dont think I'll witness anyone better in the future but I dont think he qualifies as a legend. Cult hero probably but I reckon you need to win something to be a real legend

There will be exceptions of course, Riordan being the probably obvious one. I doubt any of us will see someone score that amount for us again.

Each to their own but I'd disagree. It's more than a medal for me. Dedication to the team, impact, games played and quality are just as important as medals.

Sauzee will be remembered by supporters long after Whittaker. His impact on the team goes well above cult hero.

I just think a club should only have a few legends or the term loses all meaning.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Both are legends.

Gray McGregor Hanlon McGinn Stokes Cummings Henderson legends. Scott Brown handed in a transfer request before we won the cup. He’s not a legend neither is German.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Thing is, I think you'd struggle to find a Hibs fan that thinks Whittaker is a bad guy or doesn't deserve respect. There are a large number who feel he isn't good enough to be playing for us right now, which they are entitled to do. Unfortunately too many feel the best way to articulate this is by abusing the guy like some sort of pantomime villain.

Exactly this mate. He tries hard as anything but he’s not the old player and he isn’t good enough, he knows that himself thoug.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Deeks hasn’t a patch on Gray Hanlon or Greegsie. He’s not a legend. Fletch is higher up there. Being a Hibee doesn’t automatically get you above folk especially when Deeks bumped us.

One Day Soon
30-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Gray McGregor Hanlon McGinn Stokes Cummings Henderson legends. Scott Brown handed in a transfer request before we won the cup. He’s not a legend neither is German.

Steven and Scott are both legends. Who is German?

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Deeks hasn’t a patch on Gray Hanlon or Greegsie. He’s not a legend. Fletch is higher up there. Being a Hibee doesn’t automatically get you above folk especially when Deeks bumped us.

Haha, since when are you in charge of who the Hibs legends are!?

theonlywayisup
30-08-2019, 12:00 PM

He's best ignored! He's right up there on my top 5 "ignore" list. :rolleyes:

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Sorry should have said in my opinion. Scott Brown was w. Amazing player for us. He’s been at Celtic 10 years and is a proper Celtic legend. You think he cares about his league cup medal? How children (all boys) are Hibees though so he can go to games with his best pal (German) with no hassle.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 12:03 PM
He's best ignored! He's right up there on my top 5 "ignore" list. :rolleyes:

Can I be number one on your wee list please?

theonlywayisup
30-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Can I be number one on your wee list please?

No.2, sorry!

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 12:20 PM
No.2, sorry!

Doh 😂

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Sorry should have said in my opinion. Scott Brown was w. Amazing player for us. He’s been at Celtic 10 years and is a proper Celtic legend. You think he cares about his league cup medal? How children (all boys) are Hibees though so he can go to games with his best pal (German) with no hassle.

I imagine his first ever professional medal might mean more to him than you think. Doesn't really matter what he thinks about us now. Sauzee clearly couldn't care about Hibs, still my favourite ever player.

And who the hell is German?

Weegreenman
30-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Name players from our current squad that dont fall in to that category? You will struggle to get past 4 or 5 players imho of course.

Whits was a great player for Hibs in a very exciting team, we got good money for him he owes Hibs nothing. Obviously he is not the player he was but still has plenty to offer.

Whether he is a legend or a great that is for individuals to decide based on their own criteria.

I wouldn’t argue with this. I’d like to see us pick players from other Scottish clubs who are mostly tried and tested. I used to think we could pick players from any club outwith the ugly sisters and maybe Hearts. Now you could probably add Aberdeen to that.
Getting back to Whitty, he’s a good utility man, that’s it. Not a legend but definitely someone who should command respect from the supporters. Way past his best but can still fill a hole.

BoomtownHibees
30-08-2019, 12:49 PM
The second St Jonstone goal came from a cross from the left. The move for the first started on the left where they opened us up. EEN news are fair and in fact the 7 was too generous in the ST Mirren game.

The 2nd goal came from a corner that was partially cleared out to our RB area. Are you saying SW should have been there?

dangermouse
30-08-2019, 12:57 PM
I reckon after Kamberi and Allan...hes our 3rd best performer so far this season.

Deserves much better form the majority of our support I agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Correct. I do wonder if people are watching the same player as me. Steven Whittaker is the most technically adept player in the team. His ball control is usually spot on and he can pick out a pass or waltz out of defence with the ball stuck to his feet. Definitely falls into the category of we'll miss him when he's gone.

percy veer
30-08-2019, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Barman Stanton;5910483]I imagine his first ever professional medal might mean more to him than you think. Doesn't really matter what he thinks about us now. Sauzee clearly couldn't care about Hibs, still my favourite ever player.

And who the hell is German?[/QUOT

Matty jack ?

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=Barman Stanton;5910483]I imagine his first ever professional medal might mean more to him than you think. Doesn't really matter what he thinks about us now. Sauzee clearly couldn't care about Hibs, still my favourite ever player.

Matty jack ?

Matty was well gone by that team. Not got a clue who is talking about!

MikeyS
30-08-2019, 01:29 PM

Aye that's all Deek done right enough, just a supporter that was lucky to be out on the pitch.

percy veer
30-08-2019, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=percy veer;5910579]

Matty was well gone by that team. Not got a clue who is talking about!

starting to wonder if even he does.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=Barman Stanton;5910597]

:agree::faf:

Keith_M
30-08-2019, 01:40 PM
I have to say I haven't really been aware of a high level of criticism of Whittaker this season.

Is this from some specific group, or in a particular area of the ground?

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 02:10 PM

German is/was Whittaker’s nickname.
Matty jack ?

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=percy veer;5910602]

:agree::faf:

Pretty sure I do laughalot. Whittaker’s been called German from a very early age.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Barman Stanton;5910597]

Been explained. Calm doon.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Aye that's all Deek done right enough, just a supporter that was lucky to be out on the pitch.

He’s not a Hibs legend. Like it or not.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Whittaker gets called German? Iv honestly never heard of this before!

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 02:14 PM

And of course he is. Over 100 goals in the green.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Hibs great then?

One of the best natural finishers I have ever seen at Easter Road loved a goal against the Hearts some rakers in there tae

Loved his last minute penalty against the Hearts at Tiny when we took a depleted squad and beat them 1-0

Came over to us at the School End and kissed the badge

Spotted him at Easter Road on Saturday with his wee laddie

Legend!

percy veer
30-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Whittaker gets called German? Iv honestly never heard of this before!

I've never heard of this either and judging by the replies on this thread I'll hazard a guess neither have many other people, no one else refers to him as this

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 02:50 PM
And of course he is. Over 100 goals in the green.

Ninth highest HIBS league goalscorer of all time one ahead of another legend Jimmy Jimmy ORourke everyone knows his name

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Ninth highest HIBS league goalscorer of all time one ahead of another legend Jimmy Jimmy ORourke everyone knows his name

I thought he was our 8th highest scorer behind the Famous 5, Baker and O'Rourke.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 03:04 PM
I thought he was our 8th highest scorer behind the Famous 5, Baker and O'Rourke.

Ah ha!

That was what I thought but there has been an amendment

Only for legends :greengrin

Source:

www.fitbastats.com

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Ah ha!

That was what I thought but there has been an amendment

Only for legends :greengrin

Source:

fitbastats.com

I couldnt find that info. But aye, one of only 8 to hit 100 goals I believe. Definitely a legend in my eyes. Total bam, but our bam.

brog
30-08-2019, 03:12 PM

That's a classic. You're not a scriptwriter for Boris by any chance? The St J 2nd goal came from a cross by Danny S after his corner was part cleared. If we now blame full backs for goals scored from corners then we've never had a decent full back in our history.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 03:16 PM
I couldnt find that info. But aye, one of only 8 to hit 100 goals I believe. Definitely a legend in my eyes. Total bam, but our bam.

Go onto www.fitbastats.com

Go onto player alphabetical list

Go onto R select Derek Riordan and it gives full details of the amendment

Apologies if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs

:thumbsup:

ancient hibee
30-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Riordan scored more league goals than O’Rourke but considerably less overall.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 03:35 PM

:agree:

122 v 104

Hiber-nation
30-08-2019, 03:38 PM

O'Rourke - total goals 122, league goals 81.

Riordan - total goals 104, league goals 90

brog
30-08-2019, 03:51 PM
O'Rourke - total goals 122, league goals 81.

Riordan - total goals 104, league goals 90

Both legends to me!

Paisley Hibby
30-08-2019, 05:58 PM
He is one of our highest earners and partly the causes of our defensive frailties. I don't boo him because not his fault we signed him. That is down to Lennon and the recruitment team.

"He is one of our highest earners" You know this for a fact do you? In which case can you tell us how you know this to be the case. As for his performances this season, he was easily man of the match against St Mirren

Mibbes Aye
30-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Brown was more interested in the Chelsea score as I recall.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Gray is also one of our highest earners and also partly the cause of defensive frailties. So is McGregor, Hanlon, Jackson, Stevenson and James. Defending is a team game. Whittaker has been our best fullback this season

Mibbes Aye
30-08-2019, 06:22 PM
I’m not sure Whittaker can quite stake a claim to ‘legend’’ and we probably need more perspective to judge whether he was a ‘great’.

But......he has a rightful claim to one of the best moments in a game I have seen in my time watching Hibs.

IIRC, away to Dnipro, 3-1 down, their corner, the ball comes to Whitts on the line of the six yard box.

Does he boot it into row ZZ of whichever stand?

Does he %#€¥

He looks up and dribbles straight out the penalty box, right down the middle and past three Dnipro attackers in the box alone.

Actually he might be a legend just for that.......

My_Wife_Camille
30-08-2019, 06:43 PM
I’m not sure Whittaker can quite stake a claim to ‘legend’’ and we probably need more perspective to judge whether he was a ‘great’.

But......he has a rightful claim to one of the best moments in a game I have seen in my time watching Hibs.

IIRC, away to Dnipro, 3-1 down, their corner, the ball comes to Whitts on the line of the six yard box.

Does he boot it into row ZZ of whichever stand?

Does he %#€¥

He looks up and dribbles straight out the penalty box, right down the middle and past three Dnipro attackers in the box alone.

Actually he might be a legend just for that.......
Whittaker was an absolute joy to watch in his first spell. I absolutely loved him and it actually upsets me a bit seeing him struggle nowadays.

It’s would be criminal if a player who has given us as much as Whittaker was to be remembered more for being a past it veteran than the top quality, skilful, energetic and dynamic player that he was when he first made his name.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Whittaker was an absolute joy to watch in his first spell. I absolutely loved him and it actually upsets me a bit seeing him struggle nowadays.

It’s would be criminal if a player who has given us as much as Whittaker was to be remembered more for being a past it veteran than the top quality, skilful, energetic and dynamic player that he was when he first made his name.
Remember after that game Dnipro put in a bid for Ivan Sproule :confused:

Kevvy1875
30-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Legend or not Steven is 100% committed to doing his best for Hibs and is a proper Pro. He isn't a whippet anymore but is as good as anyone we have in terms of composure on the ball. Deserves more respect from some Hibs fans IMO.

Iggy Pope
30-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Most Hibbies I speak to recognise him as amongst our better performers this season.
I don’t think there’s a problem here. Who exactly is on his back? A couple of nutters who barracked him v Alloa and will bang on with their guff regardless? If it’s not targeting him it will be someone else.

I don’t see or hear Steven Whittaker as being any sort of target for abuse at all.

And he is a bona fire legend. Same major Hibs winning medals as the entire Tornadoes side for a start and I doubt we could argue about the status of too many of them..

oldbutdim
30-08-2019, 08:07 PM
"He is one of our highest earners" You know this for a fact do you? In which case can you tell us how you know this to be the case. As for his performances this season, he was easily man of the match against St Mirren

Funnily enough I was told that his wage was not high at all, he was satisfied with a lower wage being balanced by the length of the deal. More interested in settling down rather than making money.

He has been playing extremely well though and pushing Flo for 'best value' this season so far. I'm baffled at those who think he is 'struggling' although every opinion is worthy eh.

One Day Soon
30-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Brown was more interested in the Chelsea score as I recall.

Does anyone else remember Scott Brown being more interested in the Chelsea score? :wink:

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Hibs great then?

One of the best natural finishers I have ever seen at Easter Road loved a goal against the Hearts some rakers in there tae

Loved his last minute penalty against the Hearts at Tiny when we took a depleted squad and beat them 1-0

Came over to us at the School End and kissed the badge

Spotted him at Easter Road on Saturday with his wee laddie

Legend!

Definitely a great. Love Deeks. He’s not a legend though. In my eyes anyway.

Incidentally he scored the best goal I’ve ever seen live at the same game at Tynie.

Here’s Lucy!
30-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Incidentally he scored the best goal I’ve ever seen live at the same game at Tynie.

A great goalscorer and player for Hibs? Yes, undoubtedly.

A legend? No way.

The 90+2
30-08-2019, 09:09 PM
A great goalscorer and player for Hibs? Yes, undoubtedly.

A legend? No way.

Yip. He still makes me warm and fuzzy though like wee Russell.

Here’s Lucy!
30-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Yip. He still makes me warm and fuzzy though like wee Russell.

Even I have to draw the line at Derek Riordan making me ever feel ‘warm and fuzzy’!

Latapy? Aye maybe!!

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 10:30 PM

:na na:

Whatever!........’

https://youtu.be/spQ3ihnxWNU

Definitely the best natural finisher I have ever seen at Easter Road

God knows we could do with him tomorrow

Still a legend in my eyes

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Even I have to draw the line at Derek Riordan making me ever feel ‘warm and fuzzy’!

Latapy? Aye maybe!!

Now yer talking! :greengrin

allmodcons
31-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Getting back to the OP, Steven Whittaker has indeed been a great servant to our Club.

I just don't get some of the abuse 'fans' feel the need to vent at games. IMO most of those who feel the need to moan for 90 minutes have fairly sad lives if they think 'supporting' a team entitles them to sit and girn for the duration of a match.

There is absolutely no doubting SW is a player and at the age of 35 still looks a proper athlete.

Phil MaGlass
31-08-2019, 05:55 AM
Getting back to the OP, Steven Whittaker has indeed been a great servant to our Club.

I just don't get some of the abuse 'fans' feel the need to vent at games. IMO most of those who feel the need to moan for 90 minutes have fairly sad lives if they think 'supporting' a team entitles them to sit and girn for the duration of a match.

There is absolutely no doubting SW is a player and at the age of 35 still looks a proper athlete.

ALL OF THIS:agree:

theonlywayisup
31-08-2019, 05:57 AM

I remember years ago whilst at work when I was around 25 years old one of my colleagues, who was an English guy in his early thirties, saying to me "why is it that almost everything you say a negative comment, it's a bit depressing for everyone listening".

At the time, I didn't think I was viewing everything with a negative mindset.

Thirty years on, I realise that if I had a work colleague who constantly says negative things, I would start to ignore them. Why should I get depressed listening to their depressing view on life?