PDA

View Full Version : If Hibs ceased to exist would you...

G B Young
28-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Bearing in mind Bury's fate and with Bolton looking likely to follow suit, what do you think you would do if Hibs went a similar way?

Bangkok Hibby
28-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Assuming it was a done deal and there was nothing anyone could do to resurrect the club then...nothing!
I certainly wouldn't be able to replace the deep feelings and 50 odd years shared history I have with Hibs with any other club.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 08:21 AM
DONT!

Brings back too many bad memories of 1990

Would probably put the jerseys doon at The Meadows and start again

Pretty Boy
28-08-2019, 08:28 AM
There would be a new Hibs playing in the EOS league or similar by the time the next season rolled around. I'd support them.

If that didn't happen then football would hold no appeal to me at all.

Jones28
28-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I would have no interest in football.

My heart says I would choose one of the lower league teams around me to follow but I just don’t think I could

Antifa Hibs
28-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I'm sure there would always be a Hibs of some sort.

See Airdrie, Gretna & Rangers etc.

Steve20
28-08-2019, 08:33 AM
I'd watch Football but wouldn't support anyone.

Speedway
28-08-2019, 08:33 AM
I’d support Hibernians of Malta.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2019, 08:34 AM
I'd watch Football but wouldn't support anyone.

This.

The 90+2
28-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Go watch Newcastle.

The_Exile
28-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Go to Tynecastle and boo for 90 minutes every other week.

Peevemor
28-08-2019, 08:39 AM
There would be a new Hibs playing in the EOS league or similar by the time the next season rolled around. I'd support them.

Ditto.

When I moved across here almost 15 years ago I tried to latch on to one of the bigger clubs here - either Rennes or Guingamp. I've been to a good few matches but it just isn't happening for me. I keep a passing interest on what they're up to, but even though I'm invited to hospitality fairly regularly I refuse more often than not.

Pagan Hibernia
28-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Surprised at the amount of people who wouldn’t support a reformed Hibs...

suppose it it all boils down to the age old question of what actually constitutes a football club. Of course a new Hibs would be a different legal entity. But for me the football club is the community that supports it. If it was still the same Hibernian family, then it would still be Hibernian to me.

Weegreenman
28-08-2019, 08:52 AM
I’m pretty sure we’d come back in some other form but if that weren’t the case then I’d happily walk away from football.
I don't like the way the game is going. Footballers have become spoilt little boys who tend to have little or no loyalty.
Clubs in England “Premiership” could subsidise fans but choose no too. Greed rules and part of me hopes it all goes pear shaped.

G B Young
28-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Hibs have pretty much become the only reason I take an interest in the game so without them to support I imagine I would just walk away from football altogether. Plenty of other (arguably better) sports to watch - and not have to put yourself through mental anguish while doing so!

CockneyRebel
28-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Surprised at the amount of people who wouldn’t support a reformed Hibs...

suppose it it all boils down to the age old question of what actually constitutes a football club. Of course a new Hibs would be a different legal entity. But for me the football club is the community that supports it. If it was still the same Hibernian family, then it would still be Hibernian to me.

Pretty much how I feel." Hibs" is more than a name.

Since452
28-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Voted walk away from football completely. Apart from Hibs i have little or no interest in football. I don't have an English team and usually turn over if it's a game on TV that doesn't involve us. I love seeing Hearts lose but without Hibs it wouldn't mean anything anymore. So yeah I'd call it a day i think. FC Hibs playing in some public park wouldn't be the same for me.

Sir David Gray
28-08-2019, 09:12 AM
I don't see any reason why we couldn't do what Sevco have done i.e. set up a new club, call it Hibernian, keep the same badge, keep the club at Easter Road and keep playing in the same strips.

All we would need to do is reapply for membership of the SPFL and work our way up through the leagues again.

We may not have as big of a following as Sevco but there's enough people who care about Hibs to make sure that happens.

If it didn't then I would probably still watch football but I wouldn't support anyone.

madhatter
28-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Save money and be a little bit more sad.

Bostonhibby
28-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Go to Tynecastle and boo for 90 minutes every other week.Thought about this too but I like to see a proper full size pitch when I'm booing so I guess I'd go for keeping an eye on Edinburgh's other team with a big pitch,City until another Hibs emerges.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 09:22 AM
I'm kind of working in reverse to this - I'm a season ticket holder at Bolton along with my mrs and my son so we've already had this discussion and, aside from watching our local non-league side Atherton Collieries (which we already do when there isn't a clash with Bolton), we'd certainly become much more regular visitors to ER. I suppose in that sense it's a little different as I have existing loyalties on that front.

jacomo
28-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Go to Tynecastle and boo for 90 minutes every other week.

Become just your average Jambo then?

HoboHarry
28-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Like others have also said, that would probably bring an end to my interest in football other than I might take in the occasional English EPL game on the telly....

Hermit Crab
28-08-2019, 10:29 AM
A new form of Hibs wouldn't be the same. Wouldn't feel right imo.

SingaporeHibs
28-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Haven’t considered the question since the early 90s and thankfully there is no need for me to now. Sir Tom really can’t be thanked enough. GGTTH

Speedway
28-08-2019, 10:48 AM
A new form of Hibs wouldn't be the same. Wouldn't feel right imo.

The Hibs you support is a new form of the original 1875 vintage, which went bust. Does it feel right to support this Hibs?

One Day Soon
28-08-2019, 10:55 AM
In terms of Scottish football it's Hibs or bust for me. Maybe the re-founded club if there were some genuine embers from the fire that destroyed the original. I'm not sure what those embers would need to be to feel legitimate and that's quite interesting to me to reflect on.

No Hibs = watching other football, on television, in an interested but non-passionate way. Apart from World Cups where it's Italy all the way with passion.

And Scotland if we ever, ever qualify again of course...

Sudds_1
28-08-2019, 11:13 AM

This. Theres only one team in my life. If they ceased to exist football would be nothing to me.

WeeRussell
28-08-2019, 11:13 AM
I'd probably start enjoying football :greengrin

Sudds_1
28-08-2019, 11:14 AM
The Hibs you support is a new form of the original 1875 vintage, which went bust. Does it feel right to support this Hibs?

But did not liquidate....still the same core.

mim
28-08-2019, 11:26 AM
If Hibs ceased to exist, I'd do what I do now if we're not playing - go and watch a lower league, junior or amateur game. I need my football fix.
However, as has been said, I'm pretty sure that Hibs will still exist in some form forever. :flag:

Greencore
28-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Help as best as I can to create a new hibs or I'd thst wasn't possible, support Edinburgh City.

heretoday
28-08-2019, 11:39 AM
I'd be sad to think of all the good times and great players I've seen since the early 60s. To be honest though I don't get the same kick out of football since hype and greed became the name of the game.
It'd be hard to feel the same affection for any other team but I used to follow Chelsea when I lived in London in the 70s so I still look for their scores.

Diclonius
28-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Phoenix Hibs or whoever my local team is at the time.

Pagan Hibernia
28-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Were they even a limited company back then? As far as I’m concerned they ceased to exist for a year or two in the early 1890s and then reformed. Don’t really see the difference between that and reforming after liquidation

lucky
28-08-2019, 12:38 PM
I doubt I’d follow another club but I’d still watch football on tv

Speedway
28-08-2019, 12:42 PM

We ceased operation in 1891. You're right we did not liquidate but even The thes can argue that they have the same stadium, support, badge, locale, values and staff the day after they 're-formed' as they did the day before.

Hermit's point was that it wouldn't feel right to support a new Hibs. If the team played in green and white in Leith with the same values at the different stadium, what difference is there between that and moving from Mayfield Park to Hibernian Park to ER and changing badges along the way as we have up to now?

Its still Hibs.

Hermit Crab
28-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Not in my lifetime.

lord bunberry
28-08-2019, 01:15 PM
We ceased operation in 1891. You're right we did not liquidate but even The thes can argue that they have the same stadium, support, badge, locale, values and staff the day after they 're-formed' as they did the day before.

Hermit's point was that it wouldn't feel right to support a new Hibs. If the team played in green and white in Leith with the same values at the different stadium, what difference is there between that and moving from Mayfield Park to Hibernian Park to ER and changing badges along the way as we have up to now?

Its still Hibs.
Hermit doesn’t do much that’s supportive towards the current hibs :greengrin

Hermit Crab
28-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Hermit doesn’t do much that’s supportive towards the current hibs :greengrin

Apart from have a total of 4 season tickets for me and family members and 2 x AST's. Not much at all...:aok:

Sammy7nil
28-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Apart from have a total of 4 season tickets for me and family members and 2 x AST's. Not much at all...:aok:

But have the Roman's ever done for us :greengrin

Speedway
28-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Not in my lifetime.

So the experiences and perspective of supporting Hibs during the lifespan of the individual supporter is the main reference criteria as to what does and doesn't constitute Hibernian FC?

Fife-Hibee
28-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Hibs would never cease to exist.

Apparently a club can die in Scotland after ripping off businesses and tax payers only to be reborn again as the same club with the same history and tainted achievements of the old club without the responsibilities of the crimes commited.

We'll be fine.

Hermit Crab
28-08-2019, 02:09 PM
So the experiences and perspective of supporting Hibs during the lifespan of the individual supporter is the main reference criteria as to what does and doesn't constitute Hibernian FC?

No, stop putting words in my mouth. I've already posted my opinion.

Speedway
28-08-2019, 02:21 PM
No, stop putting words in my mouth. I've already posted my opinion.

So when you say it wouldn't feel right to support a new Hibs, why wouldn't it feel right for you?

Keith_M
28-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Jeezo, this place gets more depressing every day!

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Hibernian Football Club dissolved in 1891 after Celtic Football Club stole all our players and a former Secretary absconded to the US with a substantial amount of money

Who knew?

lyonhibs
28-08-2019, 03:08 PM
So when you say it wouldn't feel right to support a new Hibs, why wouldn't it feel right for you?

Because it wouldn't be the Hibs all of us under the age of 130 odd have grown up supporting, idolising, berating and generally losing ourselves in. I can see the point.

I think a lot of whether I'd follow a phoenix club would be to do with where we played - locality and location have been a big factor in what makes Hibs unique. A move to some greenfield shopping centre with a car park you can see from space - forget it. In the Leith area (roughly) - I'd give it my best shot.

Otherwise, I'd still go to the pub with mates to watch big games that they at least had a interest in, but really following football would probably cease for me if Hibs went pop.

Wilson
28-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Its still Hibs.

What happened in 1891 would have created a dilemma for fans in 1891. If I stopped following the hibs I've known from 1990 through to liquidation I am hardly going to worry about 1891 am I? Hibs as I have known them had ceased to be. I could get on board with the tribute act that springs up or I might take it as a watershed moment and "get off the bus". The way I feel watching Hecky's hibs I'm favouring the latter!

SideBurns
28-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Start bevvying slightly later on a Saturday, but without the usual pause in proceedings between 3 and 5pm.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2019, 03:46 PM
What happened in 1891 would have created a dilemma for fans in 1891. If I stopped following the hibs I've known from 1990 through to liquidation I am hardly going to worry about 1891 am I? Hibs as I have known them had ceased to be. I could get on board with the tribute act that springs up or I might take it as a watershed moment and "get off the bus". The way I feel watching Hecky's hibs I'm favouring the latter!

Sums it up nicely.

One Day
28-08-2019, 04:02 PM
I'd go watch Edinburgh City

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Assuming their was no phoenix club in the amateur leagues to follow (i.e. total disappearance) I would concentrate on Man United in England. In relation to Scottish football, I would probably pay visits to lower league games, to put a wee bit back into the clubs also struggling to survive. It would leave a massive, unfillable void though.

Greencore
28-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Hibernian Football Club dissolved in 1891 after Celtic Football Club stole all our players and a former Secretary absconded to the US with a substantial amount of money

Who knew?
Trace their the person's family roots and sue them. 😂

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Trace their the person's family roots and sue them. 😂

John McFadden was the culprit for the princely sum of £260

Source:

The Making of Hibernian

The Harp Awakes

Volume 1 1875-1893

Alan Lugton

bigswissstriker
28-08-2019, 04:14 PM
I’d follow Bonnyrigg rose but would be on board if there was to be a “Hibsco”

calumhibee1
28-08-2019, 05:17 PM
I’d follow Bonnyrigg rose but would be on board if there was to be a “Hibsco”

Likewise although my team of choice would probably be Spartans as they’re just down the road.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Would support no one. One adopted team is enough.

EI255
28-08-2019, 08:59 PM
No other club for me, unless it was a Hibernian reincarnation or similar. Must be green and white too.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Killiehibbie
28-08-2019, 09:46 PM
I'd be a couple of grand better off.

Eyrie
28-08-2019, 10:47 PM
I'd lose interest in football to the extent that I'd stop watching it, but not to the extent that I'd attend the Tiny PBS.

Which will leave more time for rugby, NFL, cricket, cycling etc.

Greencore
29-08-2019, 03:17 AM
John McFadden was the culprit for the princely sum of £260

Source:

The Making of Hibernian

The Harp Awakes

Volume 1 1875-1893

Alan Lugton
Interesting, a quick Google and that's worth the sum of 26 thousand pounds in today's money.

WeeRussell
29-08-2019, 11:30 AM
I'd blame every other club in the league, the SPL, the SNP, the BBC and the country in general. Then I'd come back arguably more vile and sectarian than I already was and enjoy shouting about the league cup and scottish cup wins I experienced with the old Hibs.