PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad

SJNB Hibby
27-08-2019, 12:48 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49481190

Bit of a mixed bag, but the thing that struck me, of the 3 Goalies, 1 from the English 2nd tier, two from the third, are we that badly off for goalkeepers?:confused:

The_Horde
27-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Bit of a mixed bag, but the thing that struck me, of the 3 Goalies, 1 from the English 2nd tier, two from the third, are we that badly off for goalkeepers?:confused:

Angus Gunn chose England or we'd be much better off.

Steven79
27-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Angus Gunn chose England or we'd be much better off.

He will never get a game for England...

Also Steven Naismith should be nowhere near the squad.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Bain is injured too

California-Hibs
27-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Thought Griffiths would of been in??

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Thought Naismith was injured. Would definitely have had Griffiths involved.

Diclonius
27-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Griffiths is Scotland's best striker, don't get that decision.

J-C
27-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Looks like another Scotland manager picking his mates again, same old sh tie different manager.

CorrieHibs
27-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Is Grant Hanley any good? I always thought he was pretty poor for Scotland. But, saw he’s been playing for Norwich and is captain! I don’t watch much EPL football and never watch the championship, so haven’t seen a lot of him recently.

B.H.F.C
27-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Looks like another Scotland manager picking his mates again, same old sh tie different manager.

No sure about that, he’s not picked Brophy for instance.

Reality is we have a decent midfield, a brilliant left back, but not very much else.

Blaster
27-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Is Grant Hanley any good? I always thought he was pretty poor for Scotland. But, saw he’s been playing for Norwich and is captain! I don’t watch much EPL football and never watch the championship, so haven’t seen a lot of him recently.

Souttar and McKenna injured so options limited. Best of the rest I think

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Griffiths is Scotland's best striker, don't get that decision.

Great option from the bench

The Modfather
27-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Don’t think there’s too many obvious choices left out.

I’d probably have Griffiths in there too, but can understand Clarke saying it came slightly too early for Griffiths and he needs more time to establish himself back at Celtic. I also think we view Griffiths through green tinted specs when it comes to Scotland. He is our best striker when playing and in form, but the England game aside, he’s disappointed in his Scotland career IMO.

Smartie
27-08-2019, 02:05 PM

He seems to do very well at club level.

Every time I see him playing for Scotland I think back to my pub league days and try to remember centre halves I wouldn't rather have in the team than him.

It's strange, because technically we're talking about a Premier League defender here.

Re the squad - I'd always have Griffiths in it, but other than that I'm happy. For the first time I'd say I have 100% trust in the manager - Clarke is top drawer imo. If he sees something in a player that he thinks he can use then I'm happy to trust him.

Sylar
27-08-2019, 02:12 PM
I understand Clarke not wanting to throw Griffiths into the international headlights quite yet. It's great to see him back playing for Celtic, but I'm quite sure even Leigh appreciates a need to continue working to get back to where he was.

I don't know a few of the lower league English club players - MacGillivray, Cooper - and I question some of the other inclusions/omissions...Liam Palmer belongs nowhere near a Scotland shirt. He was absolutely woeful in his previous outings. Snodgrass, while he has quality, has scarcely played for West Ham this year. Defense looks a little slow in Hanley and Mulgrew...

But with Robertson, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Jack, McBurnie, McTominay, Forrest and Fraser, we have some real quality in that squad.

CloudSquall
27-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Impressive options in CM / midfield now, CB is frightening.

California-Hibs
27-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Impressive options in CM / midfield now, CB is frightening.

By all accounts this Liam Lindsay is brilliant for Leeds. He's a centre half is he not? Time to throw him in

SJNB Hibby
27-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Another thing, we've got a player playing in Serie A and he can't even make the squad??

B.H.F.C
27-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Another thing, we've got a player playing in Serie A and he can't even make the squad??

Midfield is our strongest area of the pitch though. Plenty players ahead of him.

B.H.F.C
27-08-2019, 02:33 PM
By all accounts this Liam Lindsay is brilliant for Leeds. He's a centre half is he not? Time to throw him in

He plays for Stoke. Liam Cooper, captain of Leeds, is in the squad.

Leitherhibs
27-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Liam Cooper is yeah, big strong centre half and can play a bit, must feel hard done by not to have been involved before. Liam Lindsay is ex thistle and barnsley, kept our own adam jackson out their team last season. Lindsay has been excellent for Stoke this season apparently.

StevieHendo
27-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Only a hibee would say that though last time he was in squad he was brilliant scored aswell credit where its due hes a baller but a wee prick sparky should undoubtedly be in there too like

Steven79
27-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Only a hibee would say that though last time he was in squad he was brilliant scored aswell credit where its due hes a baller but a wee prick sparky should undoubtedly be in there too likeIt's not his talent I'm questioning more his fitness...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
27-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Good enough for the Premiership so he should manage.

Don’t understand why Craig Gordon has been left out.

California-Hibs
27-08-2019, 03:15 PM
I think Grant Hanley is decent enough. I honestly think it's his looks and movement that go against him with fans taking to him. If you look at the level he's played at and currently plays at that tells you all you need to know. I watched him a few times last season and he's solid enough, definitely not fantastic and the answer, but more than deserving his place.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 03:21 PM
I think Grant Hanley is decent enough. I honestly think it's his looks and movement that go against him with fans taking to him. If you look at the level he's played at and currently plays at that tells you all you need to know. I watched him a few times last season and he's solid enough, definitely not fantastic and the answer, but more than deserving his place.

Definitely good enough to be in the squad that is for sure.

Since452
27-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Naismith in and Griffiths not? Very odd

vercol36
27-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Liam Henderson playing in Serie A now, and doing very well against Bologna. But nah it’s fine, the national team should just keep ignoring him.

SteveHFC
27-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Jack has been Rangers best player this season and deserves the call up.

B.H.F.C
27-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Liam Henderson playing in Serie A now, and doing very well against Bologna. But nah it’s fine, the national team should just keep ignoring him.

Posted earlier in the thread, there are plenty ahead of him at the moment. Strongest part of the pitch.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Jack has been Rangers best player this season and deserves the call up.

Agree with that.

Vault Boy
27-08-2019, 04:19 PM

I don't rate him. Would prefer Lindsay being given a chance.

GlesgaeHibby
27-08-2019, 04:21 PM

He is utter mince. First thing he did in EPL after promotion was slice the ball into his own net against Liverpool. Abraham turned him inside out at the weekend.

HoboHarry
27-08-2019, 04:28 PM
He is utter mince. First thing he did in EPL after promotion was slice the ball into his own net against Liverpool. Abraham turned him inside out at the weekend.
David Luiz got turned inside out at the weekend too and he has cost nearly 100 million in transfers throughout his career so I'm not really sure what your point is. It happens against top class strikers...

Frazerbob
27-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Grant Hanley is a horrendous footballer

Jim44
27-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Naismith in and Griffiths not? Very odd

Nobody can deny that Naismith has been outstanding in his many appearances for the Jambos in the past few weeks. :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
27-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Nobody can deny that Naismith has been outstanding in his many appearances for the Jambos in the past few weeks. :rolleyes:

As has Griffiths for Celtic.

J-C
27-08-2019, 06:47 PM
No sure about that, he’s not picked Brophy for instance.

Reality is we have a decent midfield, a brilliant left back, but not very much else.

I was meaning Snodgrass, Naismith, Russel, Philips etc, why is Griffiths not there?

B.H.F.C
27-08-2019, 06:58 PM
I was meaning Snodgrass, Naismith, Russel, Philips etc, why is Griffiths not there?

Who’s he meant to pick instead of them?

Naismith a bit odd considering his fitness right enough.

Griffiths is still trying to get back properly, I’m guessing that might not be entirely down to football reasons..

thegaffer12
27-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Tierney still injured? Or is he just not fussed about Scotland

GlesgaeHibby
27-08-2019, 07:16 PM
David Luiz got turned inside out at the weekend too and he has cost nearly 100 million in transfers throughout his career so I'm not really sure what your point is. It happens against top class strikers...

David Luiz was up against arguably the best forward line in world football at the minute, and Hanley was up against an average young English striker. Not sure what your point is.

David Luiz also makes up for his, known, defensive weaknesses in other ways (dead balls, passing ability etc.). Hanley is just downright mince.

The Wireless
27-08-2019, 07:29 PM
I understand Clarke not wanting to throw Griffiths into the international headlights quite yet. It's great to see him back playing for Celtic, but I'm quite sure even Leigh appreciates a need to continue working to get back to where he was.

I don't know a few of the lower league English club players - MacGillivray, Cooper - and I question some of the other inclusions/omissions...Liam Palmer belongs nowhere near a Scotland shirt. He was absolutely woeful in his previous outings. Snodgrass, while he has quality, has scarcely played for West Ham this year. Defense looks a little slow in Hanley and Mulgrew...

But with Robertson, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Jack, McBurnie, McTominay, Forrest and Fraser, we have some real quality in that squad.

Nothing Lower league about Cooper who is the Leeds captain. I very doubt any of the Scottish central defenders would replace him at Elland Rd.

Jim44
27-08-2019, 07:39 PM
As has Griffiths for Celtic.

Who mentioned Griffiths? I’m just saying that Naismith is a wierd choice given his lack of match practice and fitness.

Speedy
27-08-2019, 08:17 PM

It is a particularly worrying sign that Marshall was the last promising young keeper to break through.

As for centre backs, still waiting for someone to claim that position.

Frazerbob
27-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Tierney still injured? Or is he just not fussed about Scotland

He’s very much fussed about Scotland. Still injured.

Smartie
27-08-2019, 08:54 PM

I think McLaughlin is better than that level. He's a good goalkeeper and would be a first pick for me.

Sunderland being in that league is a bit like Hibs being in the Championship - you'll get good players joining them there because they're a big club for that level, a bit like when McGinn was playing for us in the Championship and Scotland.

The goalkeeper position might not be as strong as it has been but it doesn't worry me overly - unlike the CB and RB positions. Hopefully some of these Championship types take their chance as we're badly needing someone to stake a solid claim to make that position their own.

SChibs
27-08-2019, 09:01 PM
David Luiz was up against arguably the best forward line in world football at the minute, and Hanley was up against an average young English striker. Not sure what your point is.

David Luiz also makes up for his, known, defensive weaknesses in other ways (dead balls, passing ability etc.). Hanley is just downright mince.

Yet he plays every week and is the captain of a Premier League team.

One Day In Time
27-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Naismith is a waste of a place. The games are next weekend. He’s played less than a game this season?

Souter96Mac
28-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Not the best audio on it, but there's a video going round on twitter of McBurnie and Fleck for Sheff U talking about being called up. McBurnie says "I hope not" when asked if he's going on international duty.

Swedish hibee
28-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Not the best audio on it, but there's a video going round on twitter of McBurnie and Fleck for Sheff U talking about being called up. McBurnie says "I hope not" when asked if he's going on international duty.

Hope Steve Clark sees this....

Smartie
28-08-2019, 11:37 AM

He's going to need to answer a few questions but it would be fair to say the clip is inconclusive at best.

JimBHibees
28-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Not seen it but who needs friends if this has been put out there. Think he is good to be honest as totally different to what we have.

J-C
28-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Not seen it but who needs friends if this has been put out there. Think he is good to be honest as totally different to what we have.

Maybe the person who put it out there is as shocked as most are and felt obliged to share and shame.