PDA

View Full Version : Is football your favourite sport?

G B Young
26-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Might seem a daft question on a football fans forum, but I was interested to see the diversity of opinion about cricket on the Headingley thread (ie some dismissing it as 'p**h' out of hand and other displaying a clear passion for the game.

Personally, having lived and breathed Hibs for much of my youth (arguably to the detriment of more constructive things I could have been doing with my life!), I've definitely become less passionate about football per se as I've got older. Hibs is about more than football so that passion will never die, but the game itself is IMHO often vastly overrated.

Personally, I often find I actually prefer watching sport for sport's sake rather than embracing the more tribal approach that goes with being a football fan.

Hibrandenburg
26-08-2019, 07:03 PM
To watch yes, but only if it's Hibs, my son's team, Scotland or Werder Bremen and in that order. Without a vested interest I'd probably find football boring.

To play, well let's just say I'm at a golf age.

Jim44
26-08-2019, 07:07 PM
I enjoy watching football but playing golf has always been my participatory sport.

lord bunberry
26-08-2019, 07:27 PM
I enjoy lots of different spirits, but football is and always has been my favourite sport. I can’t see that ever changing.

Bangkok Hibby
26-08-2019, 07:29 PM
I said on the "other sports" thread, only if its Hibs or I've had a bet on a particular game. The overpaid cheats in the top leagues have spoilt the game IMO

Pretty Boy
26-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Watching Hibs, yes. Beyond that probably not nowadays.

Running is now my main participatory sport
and races and training takes up a huge chunk of my time. I watch a huge range of sports but rarely football. I watched Barcelona v Betis last night and it was the 1st non Hibs game I can remember watching all the way through for a long time.

I've watched more cricket than anything else this summer, perhaps for obvious reasons. On a week to week basis horse racing and boxing are my go to and with the NFL season just around the corner that will take a front seat again soon.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2019, 07:34 PM
I'd rather watch tennis, darts or snooker than most football matches.

Hibs are one of the most important things in my life so I don't count Hibs games in that but I would rather watch a good tennis match than most English Premiership matches.

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Not anymore, I prefer the Boxing and Darts.

Weegreenman
26-08-2019, 07:39 PM
People who run the game would do well to remember that football is an entertainment. Sadly the entertainment is being sucked our the game. Thankfully we still have teams such as Liverpool we can watch and not worry about tactics or any of the other stuff. Attacking football and goals is what it’s about. Sadly I’m losing my passion for the game the older I get.

calumhibee1
26-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Yup. By a mile. I like watching and attempting to play tennis and golf. But I love watching football and love playing it even more.

HappyAsHellas
26-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Football and sea fishing for me. If I can't take part then I don't get involved - played and watched football for years so that's fine. Most other sports bore me to tears.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-08-2019, 07:44 PM
I am not sure that I look on Saturdays at Easter Road as sport. Might be a bit of a cliche but watching Hibs and watching Match of the Day or Super Sunday's are not the same thing.

makaveli1875
26-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Used to be but now prefer watching boxing, tennis and snooker these days

we are hibs
26-08-2019, 08:01 PM
I love watching football. Doesnt bother me if its a german 2nd division game, non league english game or a champions league final i just like watching football.

What i will say is that you get lots more dull matches now than we seemed to get about 5 or 6 years ago. Even down to the lower league games in england they try and play boring square possession based football. I just want to see a few games where its blood and thunder, end to end and a genuine football match rather than this robotic chess match like style that seems to have taken over most leagues and teams.

Baldy Foghorn
26-08-2019, 08:03 PM
I enjoy watching football but playing golf has always been my participatory sport.

Snap

neil7908
26-08-2019, 08:11 PM
I can't fathom why anyone would follow any other sport. I've watched a fair few different competitions live over the years and nothing has ever compared to football.

Billy Whizz
26-08-2019, 08:13 PM
I can't fathom why anyone would follow any other sport. I've watched a fair few different competitions live over the years and nothing has ever compared to football.

Big difference between watching and playing Sports!
We should all play sports as often as we can, whatever that may be

pontius pilate
26-08-2019, 08:23 PM
I do enjoy watching football but only when its hibs Scotland or spurs I often find myself trying to watch the big games yet being bored half way through. I do enjoy F1 tho only qualifying and race cant be bothered with free practise and the likes

bookert
26-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Football all day, like and played tennis /squash but wouldn't go out my way to watch (Murray excepted). I love watching hibs, loved watching my laddie playing and would still would watch any games on telly or local park. It's the simplest and most emotional gane,jerseys for goalposts and can be played anywhere. Love it at it simplest. Worried about what money is doing to it.

heid the baw
26-08-2019, 08:28 PM
I enjoy really good quality football. Unfortunately for me Scottish football rarely delivers. It is a poor league and I lost interest years ago. Much as hibs will always be my team, I would much rather watch EPL, Champions league or top European league fixtures.
Not a popular stance, but as a neutral fan of the game with an interest in tactics, individual craft/skill ect, these games are far more entertaining. Watched Villa v Everton, Liverpool v Arsenal and Fiorentina v Napoli this weekend. All great games. Seeing young Scottish players the likes of Robertson and McGinn develope as players is an absolute joy to watch.

AltheHibby
26-08-2019, 08:29 PM
This summer it's cricket that's become my favourite sport. A large part of that is the attitudes of various teams, especially the Kiwis in the World Cup final.

The amount of cheating in football these days sickens me and stops me enjoying it.

Carheenlea
26-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Totally immersed in Hibs, go to most games and love the club and camaraderie that goes with following a team with like minded people, but not as fanatical about the sport as I once was. Would be a lie to say I don’t like football, but I struggle to watch non Hibs games. Don’t mind the odd big occasion or a Hearts game that they are losing for entertainment value, but golf is the sport I play and enjoy watching and reading about.

rotherhamrob
26-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Not as much into football as I used to be, if it doesn't hibs or Scotland then I'm not really fussed.
Play golf and love it but even find that boring to watch.

Bishop Hibee
26-08-2019, 08:39 PM
I’m football mad. If I’ve got spare time to spend in front of the box it’s my go to if there’s any on. I enjoy watching other sports though especially tennis, rugby and cricket. I even watch Aussie rules with my Saturday breakfast!

I don’t really watch the athletics anymore. Too many drug cheats. Never really got basketball or baseball either.

ancient hibee
26-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Enjoyment of football on TV decreases as the number of games increases.I started to go off it when they brought in an “expert”to natter to the commentators.I usually watch it with the sound at a level to have the crowd noise(it’s easier to do that as you get older and deafer):greengrin.

IWasThere2016
26-08-2019, 09:45 PM
I'll watch most sports - done well or with drama and football is the best. I love golf and cricket also. Fond of Boxing also.

I loath F1 - it is not a sport IMHO, nor are snooker (though this needs incredible skills and watching Ronnie O'Sullivan is a joy!) or darts.

500miles
26-08-2019, 09:51 PM
I watch hibs and Scottish football. I'll watch Liverpool, Man City or whoever is playing good attacking football down south. It wouldn't be worth my time buying Sky sports.

I've always enjoyed watching tennis (since my Nana was convinced that my cousin looked like Tim Henman - he did not.) , and every so often a boxer comes around who I'll make a point to watch.

I play football a couple of times a week, but not at any level. Enjoy playing badminton too.

Golf and cricket are muted on my twitter feed though!

neil7908
26-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Big difference between watching and playing Sports!
We should all play sports as often as we can, whatever that may be

Absolutely. But when I say I don't follow other sports I mean just that. I have a friend that will watch any sport on TV - darts, snooker, golf etc. You couldn't pay me to watch those. Playing is another thing entirely though.

Mibbes Aye
26-08-2019, 09:52 PM
I love football and will happily watch any level if I’m tempted by the game.

But if it was a desert island-style choice and I could only ever see one sport then it would be cricket by a mile. All formats preferably, but would settle for just Test cricket happily.

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2019, 09:59 PM
I enjoy watching most sports, but football is my clear favourite; always has been.

jacomo
26-08-2019, 10:00 PM
This summer it's cricket that's become my favourite sport. A large part of that is the attitudes of various teams, especially the Kiwis in the World Cup final.

The amount of cheating in football these days sickens me and stops me enjoying it.

Glad you enjoyed the World Cup but cricket has been absolutely rife with cheating. Unfortunately no sport is immune.

Baader
26-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Football is my sport, I love the game but not the hype, overexposure and ridiculous money that has become involved.

Tennis, boxing and Aussie rules (lived in Aus for a couple of years) the other sports I particularly enjoy watching. Quite enjoy one day cricket.

hibby6270
26-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Having read replies so far, just goes to show how diverse everyone’s sport preferences are. Thank goodness we are all bonded on one subject though - Hibernian FC.:greengrin

Personally, I play a lot of golf. At least 2 or 3 times a week in summer months.

Will watch most sports - golf, football, cricket are my ‘go to’ sports to watch live. In fact, now I think about it others I’ll watch on TV are predominantly ball sports - rugby, American football, Aussie Rules, tennis, baseball being my top 5 minority sports.

Sammy7nil
26-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Might seem a daft question on a football fans forum, but I was interested to see the diversity of opinion about cricket on the Headingley thread (ie some dismissing it as 'p**h' out of hand and other displaying a clear passion for the game.

Personally, having lived and breathed Hibs for much of my youth (arguably to the detriment of more constructive things I could have been doing with my life!), I've definitely become less passionate about football per se as I've got older. Hibs is about more than football so that passion will never die, but the game itself is IMHO often vastly overrated.

Personally, I often find I actually prefer watching sport for sport's sake rather than embracing the more tribal approach that goes with being a football fan.

When I was young I played lots of sport squash, badminton, football, darts, doms, snooker, pool and golf. Probably more, now a days it is golf nothing else. I love sport and as I get older i appreciate the skill in every sport. For examp!e I loved the cricket yesterday. I still love football but increasingly think rugby is better to watch. I would rather watch Thistle v Dunfermline than West Ham v Palace. American football is a great game. Tennis is not the same without Andy Murray but I still like it.

Probably an age thing.

Swedish hibee
27-08-2019, 02:29 AM
Winter sports for me.

danhibees1875
27-08-2019, 04:45 AM
I'll watch pretty much any sport if it's on while at the pub or if I've absolutely nothing better to do at home (would probably avoid cricket even then).

It would need to be Hibs for me to go out of my way to watch it though - unless it was an unlikely event or something of significance.

Stonewall
27-08-2019, 04:56 AM
I love watching Hibs but :otherwise I seldom watch anything other than hilights.

I seem to watch other sports with a different eye and can quite happily watch a rugby match or especially cricket where I have no emotional involvement in the game.

Golden Bear
27-08-2019, 05:04 AM
Football is my passion but golf is my main sporting interest

I also enjoy watching rugby union (Glasgow Warriors in particular.)

G B Young
27-08-2019, 06:40 AM
I am not sure that I look on Saturdays at Easter Road as sport. Might be a bit of a cliche but watching Hibs and watching Match of the Day or Super Sunday's are not the same thing.

In the sense that watching sport is generally regarded as something to be enjoyed, what we're seeing at Easter Road at present is more something to be endured. But even when we're playing well I agree with what you say. We're not really there to savour a sporting occasion. It's more of a ritual.

G B Young
27-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Having read replies so far, just goes to show how diverse everyone’s sport preferences are. Thank goodness we are all bonded on one subject though - Hibernian FC.:greengrin

Personally, I play a lot of golf. At least 2 or 3 times a week in summer months.

Will watch most sports - golf, football, cricket are my ‘go to’ sports to watch live. In fact, now I think about it others I’ll watch on TV are predominantly ball sports - rugby, American football, Aussie Rules, tennis, baseball being my top 5 minority sports.

Yes, and interesting to see how many are largely interested only in Hibs, rather than football as a whole.

Personally I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a football match that didn't involve Hibs. I quite simply don't think the game is all some would have you believe. A good many other sports are actually more enjoyable to watch - and a good deal less stressful when you're only watching for sport's sake.

FilipinoHibs
27-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Football yes and watching Hibs or Scotland or Portugal (mother's side).

Cricket as father from Guyana a mainland part of West Indies.
Tennis yes if Andy or previously Henman. Will watch Nadal, the Jock and Federer if they are playing each other.

Basketball as live in the Philippines and the boys are great players and over 6 foot so big for Filipinos. I like to watch with father in law over a Red Horse or two (7.5% local beer).

I played all four sports to a good level but now at 63 just a spectator.

Was a tennis and football qualified coach.

The Captain....
27-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Still enjoy watching football but not as much as I used to. Not entirely sure why..maybe reached saturation point with the number of games on. It used to be a bit of an occasion when there was a live game on tv when I was growing up.

Also really enjoy horse racing (although that's proving costly with seconditus recently), boxing, golf and cricket now and again.

Can quite happily spend a day watching just sport on tv.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

heretoday
27-08-2019, 07:25 AM
I like watching football, cricket, rugby, tennis, golf, baseball on TV but I don't enjoy any of them as much as I used to, largely because of the hype and greed that have affected all of them since I was younger.
The two sports whose changes have annoyed me most have been football and cricket so I guess I've got them in the blood more than the rest.

EastThomasSTboy
27-08-2019, 11:20 AM
As a 62 yr old Scottish Hibby, brought up in Easter Rd, I support Hibs first (ST Holder now!!) Secondly the English Cricket team (all forms), then Man Utd(since the days of Best, Law & Charlton).:flag:
As for other fitba teams, nah, and i wouldnt watch Scotland if they played in my backgreen!! (Stopped watching them when Roxburgh took over!!).

spike220
27-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Do you mean Soccer?

JeMeSouviens
27-08-2019, 02:39 PM
How can you not love such a thing of beauty?

https://twitter.com/footbalIfights/status/1166347887883771904

:greengrin

Yes, it's still my favourite sport to watch. I'm probably pickier than I used to be. If it's not Hibs and not a good game I'll give up whereas I used to stick it out expecting it to pick up. This means I hardly see any non-Hibs Scottish football any more.

AgentDaleCooper
27-08-2019, 02:47 PM
football is probably my favourite, but I do love a bit of Boston Bruins in the NHL. That said, I'd take hibs winning a trophy over them winning the stanley cup every time.

leithsansiro
27-08-2019, 03:51 PM
It’s strange that so few people have mentioned watching or playing rugby as a favourite sport (outside of football). It’s one of the few sports that Scotland can claim to be actually good at and one of the few sports where we’ve got a very good chance of getting over the first hurdle at a World Cup

In terms of football, over saturation in the media and too much money has, and is, ruined the game at a top level. The players on the pitch can not relate to the guys on the pitch, and I say that as a guy in his 30s and not some older nostalgia-eyed bloke yearning for bygone times.

JeMeSouviens
27-08-2019, 04:07 PM
It’s strange that so few people have mentioned watching or playing rugby as a favourite sport (outside of football). It’s one of the few sports that Scotland can claim to be actually good at and one of the few sports where we’ve got a very good chance of getting over the first hurdle at a World Cup

In terms of football, over saturation in the media and too much money has, and is, ruined the game at a top level. The players on the pitch can not relate to the guys on the pitch, and I say that as a guy in his 30s and not some older nostalgia-eyed bloke yearning for bygone times.

This and the fact that only <10 countries actually take the game in any way seriously are probably not unrelated. :wink:

Tricla
27-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Golf for me. Greatest game there is.

SingaporeHibs
27-08-2019, 04:42 PM
I love Football but it’s rare for me to watch a full match these days unless it’s Hibs, Scotland or my sons. If you had told me 20 years ago thats all I would be watching in 2019 I would of said you were mental. I enjoy a load of sports, rugby, Golf, tennis, F1 to name a few but none of them give me the rush of watching the Hibees or my boys.

calumhibee1
27-08-2019, 04:44 PM

I’m not sure you can say that about all the players. Vast majority of them are normal guys who have made it as excellent footballers. They were probably the same as all the folk in the stand and still will be, just a hell of a lot richer.

Hibernia&Alba
27-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Football is my sport, I love the game but not the hype, overexposure and ridiculous money that has become involved.

Tennis, boxing and Aussie rules (lived in Aus for a couple of years) the other sports I particularly enjoy watching. Quite enjoy one day cricket.

Which team do you follow, Baader?

Mon the Sainters! :greengrin

Torto7
27-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Hibs yes, the game itself no, it's become one of the most boring sports I feel. How many games ever really open up end to end nowadays? Hardly any.

I prefer rugby, nfl, nba and combat sports these days.

Hibernia&Alba
27-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Golf for me. Greatest game there is.
:greengrin

https://media.tenor.com/images/47f0650d57407c2361c2b40febc7212a/tenor.gif

ChicagoHibee
27-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Yes, American football is my favorite sport.

The Pointer
27-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Obviously love Hibs and anything to do with them. I wasn't brought up that way but made a life decision when I was about 15 despite my brothers going for the maroon mob.

However, I have square feet so playing football was out and as I'd played rugby at school got into it again when I moved west - which I did till I was 58! Just been fit and have run loads and done triathlons etc but always, always keep an eye on what's happening at ER.

Tiocfaidh Ar La
28-08-2019, 03:02 PM
Aside from watching Hibs and Liverpool don’t watch much football anymore.

NFL - American football probably my favourite sport at this point. (Chicago Bears)

I would watch any NFL game over football, excluding Hibs or Liverpool.

joebakerforever
28-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Favourite sport to follow is Speedway, the Edinburgh Monarchs in particular, followed closely by footy, with Hibs.

When the weather is ok, it's such an exciting spectacle, and the whole environment, from riders to fans, is far more friendly than what you encounter at football.

wallpaperman
28-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Favourite sport to follow is Speedway, the Edinburgh Monarchs in particular, followed closely by footy, with Hibs.

When the weather is ok, it's such an exciting spectacle, and the whole environment, from riders to fans, is far more friendly than what you encounter at football.

Not belittling speedway as I was once ridiculously keen, but the sport is in a mess and seems to be in an irreversible downward spiral.

For such a simple concept, the powers that be in the UK seem to continually make a mess of decisions large and small.

The Grand Prix’s are still mostly a great spectacle though.

stu in nottingham
28-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Hockey - the version on ice - for me.

Football is too negative these days I find.

Baader
28-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Which team do you follow, Baader?

Mon the Sainters! :greengrin

Hawthorn but a huge soft spot for St Kilda as lived in Prahran in Melbourne. Fantastic game. Happy days!!

Doh Rae Me
28-08-2019, 05:36 PM
To watch yes, but only if it's Hibs, my son's team, Scotland or Werder Bremen and in that order. Without a vested interest I'd probably find football boring.

To play, well let's just say I'm at a golf age.

I was given a Werder Bremen bottle opener which plays a really nippy tune every time you use it. However it's football, darts, golf and rugby union for me.

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Hawthorn but a huge soft spot for St Kilda as lived in Prahran in Melbourne. Fantastic game. Happy days!!

Hawthorn missed out on finals this year, surprisingly. No surprise St Kilda missed out :greengrin

Hakim Sar
28-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Football is my favourite but the modern iteration of the game has totally lost its magic for me.

There was a time long gone where even the 3 minute "world soccer round-up" on Trans World Sport was ridiculously enjoyable. Saturday and Sunday Grandstand was a a complete chore waiting to get through the horse racing and the world superbikes, just to get some football updates.

Football Italia on C4, need I explain this one?

The Champions League was romantic, full of unknown teams, players and kits playing under the floodlights in the old classic stadiums was genuinely exciting.

World Cup every 4 years... Ditto. But nothing is a mystery anymore. World cups and Euros are going down the pan as far as I'm concerned.

When Hibs used to come on Sunday Sportscene in the 90's, a full 12 minutes of highlights that were edited into a a very watchable short of the game, Gerry McNee would be waxing lyrical over some of the SPL goals, it was monumentally significant in my upbringing.

Call it age, over exposure, or the predictability of all the major leagues nowadays, but its not often I even get to August champing at the bit for some football.

This summer especially, it never felt like a true preseason. Football has seemed continuous and tedious, with the nations league, women's World Cup (which was admittedly excellent at times) and there has been no real breather from things.

Call me old fashioned but summer football used to be a treat. There was a nice summer routine of Scottish Cup final, Wimbledon, British open golf, some glamour pre season games and then down to the real football business in August. It feels different nowadays, for me anyway.

Anyhoo, I love the NFL, some ice hockey, some tennis, a golf major if I'm in the mood, and heavyweight boxing.

But for all its flaws, football is football and it is in my blood and totally entrenched in our communities.

Vive le Soccer!

Sammy7nil
28-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Football is my favourite but the modern iteration of the game has totally lost its magic for me.

There was a time long gone where even the 3 minute "world soccer round-up" on Trans World Sport was ridiculously enjoyable. Saturday and Sunday Grandstand was a a complete chore waiting to get through the horse racing and the world superbikes, just to get some football updates.

Football Italia on C4, need I explain this one?

The Champions League was romantic, full of unknown teams, players and kits playing under the floodlights in the old classic stadiums was genuinely exciting.

World Cup every 4 years... Ditto. But nothing is a mystery anymore. World cups and Euros are going down the pan as far as I'm concerned.

When Hibs used to come on Sunday Sportscene in the 90's, a full 12 minutes of highlights that were edited into a a very watchable short of the game, Gerry McNee would be waxing lyrical over some of the SPL goals, it was monumentally significant in my upbringing.

Call it age, over exposure, or the predictability of all the major leagues nowadays, but its not often I even get to August champing at the bit for some football.

This summer especially, it never felt like a true preseason. Football has seemed continuous and tedious, with the nations league, women's World Cup (which was admittedly excellent at times) and there has been no real breather from things.

Call me old fashioned but summer football used to be a treat. There was a nice summer routine of Scottish Cup final, Wimbledon, British open golf, some glamour pre season games and then down to the real football business in August. It feels different nowadays, for me anyway.

Anyhoo, I love the NFL, some ice hockey, some tennis, a golf major if I'm in the mood, and heavyweight boxing.

But for all its flaws, football is football and it is in my blood and totally entrenched in our communities.

Vive le Soccer!

Great post i agree with everything bar the Ice Hockey :aok::top marks