PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Middleton

Keith_M
26-08-2019, 12:49 PM
I was actually impressed with his level of skill. He was giving their defence a torrid time out wide, at least in the first half, and showed some lovely touches to get past their defenders and get some decent crosses into the box.

Thoughts?

Onceinawhile
26-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Had a slightly above average game.

Great cross for the 2nd goal.

Think there's more to come and he'll prove to - at worst - be a decent signing.

The_Horde
26-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Boys a player. We need to make sure we're dominating games enough to get him involved.

bingo70
26-08-2019, 12:55 PM
I don’t want to sound too negative but I’m hoping to get more from him.

I think he’s a very tidy, technically good footballer and obviously he got an assist on Saturday which is great. I really want to see him taking on and getting by defenders more though. I don’t remember him doing that. He seems quite quick, would be good to see him use that more.

Smartie
26-08-2019, 01:32 PM
I really like him.

There are things we're getting badly wrong at the moment but you don't have to look too hard to find bright spots and I think he is one.

Onceinawhile
26-08-2019, 01:33 PM
I really like him.

There are things we're getting badly wrong at the moment but you don't have to look too hard to find bright spots and I think he is one.

Him on one side of flo and Horgan on the other is a very good front three imo.

Scott Allan behind threading through balls and we've got a very, very good front 4. It's just some of the other positions that I worry about!

we are hibs
26-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Was impressed with his work rate and willingess to put a foot in.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Felt sorry for him on Saturday very little support but Lewis was looking about 60% and seemed reluctant to commit to going forward

Looked dead on his feet the last twenty but we had used all our subs

One of the few bright spots

I hope things work out for him

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-08-2019, 01:45 PM
I don’t think he had that good a game on Sat although he wasn’t getting much help around him. He’ll get better and better as the season progresses IMO.

bingo70
26-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Was impressed with his work rate and willingess to put a foot in.

Is that what we’re wanting from our wingers?

I’d hoped we’d be saying we are impressed by his ability to beat a man and his pace.

You are right though, certainly can’t fault his work rate, I just hope there’s more to come in an attacking sense.

we are hibs
26-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Is that what we’re wanting from our wingers?

I’d hoped we’d be saying we are impressed by his ability to beat a man and his pace.

You are right though, certainly can’t fault his work rate, I just hope there’s more to come in an attacking sense.

Maybe it just stood out to me more because those two traits are sadly lacking from others around him at times.

I think if he plays in a hibs team playing with more confidence and with more attacking intent than he currently is he would stand out as one of our better players. He has had a couple little flashes of skill and i think he will do well this season.

itslegaltender
26-08-2019, 02:20 PM
some tidy touches in first half, I was surprised though at his lack of any real pace.

It seems we have a plethora of wingers at the moment who cant actually take on a full back on the outside.

Purple & Green
26-08-2019, 02:26 PM
I was actually impressed with his level of skill. He was giving their defence a torrid time out wide, at least in the first half, and showed some lovely touches to get past their defenders and get some decent crosses into the box.

Thoughts?

Two games two assists. Points make prizes. What's not to like?

steakbake
26-08-2019, 02:44 PM
He's very good. Very young, of course, but he's only going to improve.

Peevemor
26-08-2019, 02:46 PM
I posted on another thread, one of my French mates who's a ST holder at Rennes was in Edinburgh on Saturday and went to the match.

The two things that stood out for him most were that he rates Middleton and the ref was crap.

Mango Man
26-08-2019, 03:30 PM
I like him, 2 games, 2 assists, not a bad start.

I reckon once he gets a few more games under his belt, he could be a real threat for us.

Billy Whizz
26-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Looked unfit last week, and was a bit better on Saturday
Just disappointed that he’s playing in front of our home grown players, like Fraser Murray, who didn’t even make the bench on Saturday

lord bunberry
26-08-2019, 04:04 PM
I don’t want to sound too negative but I’m hoping to get more from him.

I think he’s a very tidy, technically good footballer and obviously he got an assist on Saturday which is great. I really want to see him taking on and getting by defenders more though. I don’t remember him doing that. He seems quite quick, would be good to see him use that more.
I definitely want more from him, he’s looked good in flashes, but so far he’s not a patch on Boyle. That’s not a criticism of the boy as he’s only just in the door. He needs to use his pace to stretch the game as everything good he’s done so far has been in tight pockets where he’s shown good skill to get away and get a cross in. The signs are good for him and I’m hoping he can become a big player for us.

B.H.F.C
26-08-2019, 04:08 PM
I’ve not been overly impressed but he does have an assist in each game which is why he’s there to do.

Probably worth remembering he’s only 19.

Sioux
26-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Just disappointed that he’s playing in front of our home grown players, like Fraser Murray, who didn’t even make the bench on Saturday

If Murray, or any other young player was good enough, they'd be playing, and Middleton wouldn't be here.

IberianHibernian
26-08-2019, 04:23 PM
As I watched on Saturday I just wished we`d been able to sign wingers like St J`s Kennedy or O`Halloran permanently instead of giving a Rangers player match experience .

eastmainsmsh
26-08-2019, 04:26 PM
played decent also thought Kennedy played well for saints

erin go bragh
26-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Fraser Murray was great when he came on against Morton . Thought he must have picked up an injury. Strange for him to drop out after what was a promising display.

LaMotta
26-08-2019, 04:55 PM
I dont think there has been enough evidence to confirm he is "a player" or very good just yet.

He has had two ok games against fairly poor opposition, although he's not match fit yet and also has two assists which is promising.

He is nippy but not as pacey as I expected - Boyle or Barker or O'Halloran all on a different level there.

Hopefully see more from him as he gets sharpness up.

LaMotta
26-08-2019, 04:58 PM
some tidy touches in first half, I was surprised though at his lack of any real pace.

It seems we have a plethora of wingers at the moment who cant actually take on a full back on the outside.

Lack of real pace is one of our major downfalls:agree:

Keith_M
26-08-2019, 05:32 PM

You're maybe right about the pace but he seemed to beat his man quite a number of times with some skilfull play and get a cross in.

He's proven his value already with assists in both games.

Brooster
26-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Great feet and great delivery. Worked hard when not on the ball. My man of the match actually.

snedzuk
26-08-2019, 06:30 PM
played decent also thought Kennedy played well for saints

This - on that showing kennedy would improve our side.

ancient hibee
26-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Great feet and great delivery. Worked hard when not on the ball. My man of the match actually.

He's promising.It could be also said-only beat his man twice and stood watching as they set up their first goal.

PISTOL1875
26-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Cracking player but no good if we don't get the ball to him.. Need to get him on the ball as much as possible to get the best out of him...

Billy Whizz
26-08-2019, 08:51 PM
If Murray, or any other young player was good enough, they'd be playing, and Middleton wouldn't be here.

Murray did well when he came on against Morton. Why wouldn’t he even be in the squad against St Johnstone?
What’s the point in having an Academy?

Inconsequential
26-08-2019, 08:54 PM
This - on that showing kennedy would improve our side. Kennedy has already had a spell at Hibs. Iirc he didn't really set the heather on fire. Perhaps he could re-ignite a second time round but doubt it. :wink:

jacomo
26-08-2019, 08:58 PM
I think he’s a good player - decent pace, good feet, keen to get involved.

SideBurns
26-08-2019, 09:06 PM
Kennedy has already had a spell at Hibs. Iirc he didn't really set the heather on fire. Perhaps he could re-ignite a second time round but doubt it. :wink:

My recollection is that Kennedy's game time was limited as Stubbs generally preferred a 3-5-2 where the width was provided by Gray & Stevenson. There was rarely room for an orthodox winger in his starting line-up, but I liked what I saw of him.

As for Middleton - he's obviously a good player, and has already created a couple of important goals; I think he could prove to be an important signing. However, he doesn't replace Boyle as there's been no evidence of real pace.

RossScott1991
26-08-2019, 09:20 PM
My thoughts from what I’ve seen soo far - still leaves me wondering why we are relying on a 19 year old rangers player to provide spark and questioning why we ain’t producing a similar winger in our academy as he’s not shown me anything that makes me think we can’t have our own young players at club who are similar

Hibeesmad
26-08-2019, 09:29 PM
My thoughts from what I’ve seen soo far - still leaves me wondering why we are relying on a 19 year old rangers player to provide spark and questioning why we ain’t producing a similar winger in our academy as he’s not shown me anything that makes me think we can’t have our own young players at club who are similar

Although many are not Lennon’s biggest fan, he gave plenty of youngsters an opportunity- Shaw, Mackie, Gullan, Porteous and Murray all given debuts in his tenure.

Inconsequential
26-08-2019, 09:37 PM
My recollection is that Kennedy's game time was limited as Stubbs generally preferred a 3-5-2 where the width was provided by Gray & Stevenson. There was rarely room for an orthodox winger in his starting line-up, but I liked what I saw of him.

As for Middleton - he's obviously a good player, and has already created a couple of important goals; I think he could prove to be an important signing. However, he doesn't replace Boyle as there's been no evidence of real pace. Kennedy made 16 appearances for Hibs probably most as a sub. He's still only 24 so his best days could be still to come. Can't see us making a bid as he still has a year on his contract at Saints.

The Middleton signing is a bit of a puzzle. Supposedly Boyle's short term replacement that plays on the left side - is that right? :wink: Bit of an old pals act going on there methinks Heckingbottom and Middleton have the same agent allegedly. Haven't seen him play so can't comment on his ability.

Brooster
26-08-2019, 10:33 PM

We are not producing players from the academy because the man in in charge is not up to the job.

basehibby
26-08-2019, 11:27 PM

Murray IS good enough and will show that this season I believe. Doesn't mean to say that Middleton isn't welcome though. The more quality the better!

Unseen work
27-08-2019, 06:35 AM
I liked Kennedy when he was here, he was beating defenders with ease and creating a lot of chances but nothing was quite coming off for him. Was unfortunate that we changed the formation to a diamond as it never suited him.

I would have taken him back.

Re Middleton - Good player who is still very young, got a great touch on him and already for 2 assists. Will prove to be a very good signing imo.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 06:38 AM
Re Middleton - Good player who is still very young, got a great touch on him and already for 2 assists. Will prove to be a very good signing imo.

Agree looks good and only a matter of time before he starts scoring for us. Technique is pretty special.

calumhibee1
27-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Good player who has definitely been an improvement on the left. Not what I thought we were getting though, I had him down as being very similar to Ryan Kent in that he’d beat people for fun. Still though, like the look of him.

Unseen work
27-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Good player who has definitely been an improvement on the left. Not what I thought we were getting though, I had him down as being very similar to Ryan Kent in that he’d beat people for fun. Still though, like the look of him.

Kent could go past folk very easily but his stats were terrible.

Middleton won’t be far off the amount of assists Kent got last season already :greengrin

calumhibee1
27-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Kent could go past folk very easily but his stats were terrible.

Middleton won’t be far off the amount of assists Kent got last season already :greengrin

I’ve never really looked into it, I’m surprised at that though. With all the chat about how much he’s worth this summer I presumed he’d probably banged in double figures and hit a similar amount in assists.

bingo70
27-08-2019, 07:14 AM
I’ve never really looked into it, I’m surprised at that though. With all the chat about how much he’s worth this summer I presumed he’d probably banged in double figures and hit a similar amount in assists.

Nah, he was very similar to Brandon Barker in that regard.

Always looked dangerous and a threat but rarely actually did anything. Think his feet are a bit too fast for his brain.

MagicSwirlingShip
27-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Signed as a replacement for Boyle. Has no pace. Dissapointed

bigwheel
27-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Signed as a replacement for Boyle. Has no pace. Dissapointed

He has two assists in two games ... true - not as fast as Boyle, but so far - much more productive ....

HibsTalk
27-08-2019, 07:41 AM
He’s looked promising in a team not performing. Will be interested to see him when the team are playing well.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Felt sorry for him on Saturday very little support but Lewis was looking about 60% and seemed reluctant to commit to going forward

Looked dead on his feet the last twenty but we had used all our subs

One of the few bright spots

I hope things work out for him

Their wingers didn't have much support and Kennedy especially was roasting the fullbacks 1v1. When a winger gets 1v1, its his responsibility to win that, he shouldn't need help.

I'm sure it was Klopp who said ''if my fullback is defending 1v1 we've already done something wrong'' or words to that affect.

Weegreenman
27-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Far too early to judge. Got involved, wasn’t scared to put himself about. Hopefully he’ll take confidence into the next game. :aok:

Smartie
27-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Their wingers didn't have much support and Kennedy especially was roasting the fullbacks 1v1. When a winger gets 1v1, its his responsibility to win that, he shouldn't need help.

I'm sure it was Klopp who said ''if my fullback is defending 1v1 we've already done something wrong'' or words to that affect.

That's fine if he's one on one but he wasn't - he rarely was. He'd find himself with 2 players on him, getting pushed towards the touchline with no Hibs player remotely near him or even attempting to get near.

He doesn't need to be roasting fullbacks if he can continue to make a yard of space to get it out his feet and send crosses in like the one he put in to Flo.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2019, 11:08 AM
That's fine if he's one on one but he wasn't - he rarely was. He'd find himself with 2 players on him, getting pushed towards the touchline with no Hibs player remotely near him or even attempting to get near.

He doesn't need to be roasting fullbacks if he can continue to make a yard of space to get it out his feet and send crosses in like the one he put in to Flo.
Was multiple times where he was 1v1 and didn't take advantage of it quick enough so it became a 2v1

Fogzie
27-08-2019, 11:13 AM
We are not producing players from the academy because the man in in charge is not up to the job.
Pep couldn't produce a player from the academy is 6 months