PDA

View Full Version : Headingly v Easter Road

Islington Hibs
26-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Yesterday England pulled off a miracle in the Ashes with Ben Stokes surpassing anything Roy of the Rovers might have achieved.

Yet after the first day England were all out for 67, their worst total since 1948, against their equivalent of Hearts, Australia. Despite that every day Headingly was packed and the crowd stayed loyal building up to a crescendo as the England gradually hauled themselves back into the match and ultimately triumphed in the most unlikely circumstance. Moreover when England needed two to win and Australia needed just one wicket to retain the Ashes the umpire made a poor decision not spotting an LBW. The replay clearly showed the England batsman was out. If that had been called Australia would have won. The Australian response to this ‘injustice’ was to applaud England off the field and admire the extraordinary batting feat of Ben Stokes.

Contrast that with Easter Road. Silence of the Lambs, an atmosphere of increasing recrimination and elements of the support who simply undermine the confidence of our players. Sure I get ‘I’ve paid my £22 and I’ll say what I like’ but really?

Football and cricket are different sports. Both excellent in their different ways but what has marked out the last four or five years at Easter Road has been a Hibs support that has been broadly behind the team, forgiving and confident we could still do it right to the end. Funnily enough this improved atmosphere has coincided with our gates up 60% at least. Yes I know it is chicken and egg and better football leads to better atmosphere but please can we give Hecky and his team a proper chance.

Before Demptester and Stubbs too often Easter Road was negative, nervous and half empty. Lets please not go back to that and lets try and see the best and if we must criticise do so positively. Perhaps we can learn something from that splendid Yorkshire crowd at Headingly and give our Yorkshire manager a proper chance.

Mr_F
26-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Cricket is plsh

cabbageandribs1875
26-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Cricket is plsh

indeed, get this crap moved to the cheese board, wherever it is nowadays

silly game with wee sticks of wood that have to be knocked down with a wee ball, glorified rounders :greengrin

flash
26-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Cricket is plsh

It really isn't.

Pretty Boy
26-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Cricket is a good game.

Comparing the atmospheres at Headingley and Easter Road this weekend is comparing apples with oranges.

McSwanky
26-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Cricket is a good game.

Comparing the atmospheres at Headingley and Easter Road this weekend is comparing apples with oranges.

:top marks

26-08-2019, 08:57 AM
It was just like ER, we see shocking decisions like the Stokes' lbw one at ER all the time.

Steve20
26-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Another thread trying to blame the supporters for our management and team's failure on the pitch.

Our support has been magnificent, so it's a disgrace that people keep looking to blame other Hibs supporters.

heretoday
26-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Cricket is plsh

It still seems to be very popular!

Weegreenman
26-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Another thread trying to blame the supporters for our management and team's failure on the pitch.

Our support has been magnificent, so it's a disgrace that people keep looking to blame other Hibs supporters.

Here here! The support has got right behind the club by buying up record number of ST’s. We’re all desperate to make some noise and go mental but it’s not going to happen watching the pish we’re being subjected to. ST will get binned sooner rather than later because the match day experience has become stale to say the very least.

JimBHibees
26-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Yesterday England pulled off a miracle in the Ashes with Ben Stokes surpassing anything Roy of the Rovers might have achieved.

Yet after the first day England were all out for 67, their worst total since 1948, against their equivalent of Hearts, Australia. Despite that every day Headingly was packed and the crowd stayed loyal building up to a crescendo as the England gradually hauled themselves back into the match and ultimately triumphed in the most unlikely circumstance. Moreover when England needed two to win and Australia needed just one wicket to retain the Ashes the umpire made a poor decision not spotting an LBW. The replay clearly showed the England batsman was out. If that had been called Australia would have won. The Australian response to this ‘injustice’ was to applaud England off the field and admire the extraordinary batting feat of Ben Stokes.

Contrast that with Easter Road. Silence of the Lambs, an atmosphere of increasing recrimination and elements of the support who simply undermine the confidence of our players. Sure I get ‘I’ve paid my £22 and I’ll say what I like’ but really?

Football and cricket are different sports. Both excellent in their different ways but what has marked out the last four or five years at Easter Road has been a Hibs support that has been broadly behind the team, forgiving and confident we could still do it right to the end. Funnily enough this improved atmosphere has coincided with our gates up 60% at least. Yes I know it is chicken and egg and better football leads to better atmosphere but please can we give Hecky and his team a proper chance.

Before Demptester and Stubbs too often Easter Road was negative, nervous and half empty. Lets please not go back to that and lets try and see the best and if we must criticise do so positively. Perhaps we can learn something from that splendid Yorkshire crowd at Headingly and give our Yorkshire manager a proper chance.

A more valid comparison would be comparing Headingly to a game in the village green.

Hiber-nation
26-08-2019, 09:54 AM
A more valid comparison would be comparing Headingly to a game in the village green.

Or the 2016 Scottish Cup Final to a Surrey v Hampshire game on a Monday morning.

JimBHibees
26-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Or the 2016 Scottish Cup Final to a Surrey v Hampshire game on a Monday morning.

Absolutely. :agree:

YanYansen
26-08-2019, 10:12 AM

100% correct. The OP can take the cricket and ram it. The England team just won the World Cup, ffs - I'm sure if this was a league-winning Hibs side, we'd all be erring on the side of "patience" or whatever he's suggesting.

Here here! The support has got right behind the club by buying up record number of ST’s. We’re all desperate to make some noise and go mental but it’s not going to happen watching the pish we’re being subjected to. ST will get binned sooner rather than later because the match day experience has become stale to say the very least.

Also 100% correct. From what I hear, the Englandshire fans were watching a virtuoso in Stokes, in a great side. We are watching turgid crap. Frankly, I've been bored of late more than anything else. Give us something to cheer and believe me, we'll deliver the noise. Some basic urgency, commitment and drive would be a good start.

So yeah. Absolutely honking OP, spectacularly ill-judged to say the least.

Bostonhibby
26-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Went to a test match once, England got thumped and when the guys that invited us asked if we enjoyed it one of the cricket novices in our group was a guy from Glasgow who said he thought England would have won if it wasn't for those nasty foreigners chucking leather balls at them. Our crestfallen host retorted that they only lost because the England team had too many players in it who weren't English!

Utterly pointless game when it lasts for days, I liked the tea breaks where we got a decent flow of beer going in the ground. Probably a better day out when it's pissing rain.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
26-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Shambles of an OP :faf::faf:

Swedish hibee
26-08-2019, 10:36 AM
I thought the atmosphere on Saturday sounded good via Hibs TV, sure it went a bit flat in the second half.. but it was alot better than some weeks.

emerald green
26-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Enough of this blame the Hibs fans ffs. Dearie me. :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
26-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Cricket is a pish boring sport that gets on my tits, being forever rammed down our throats on every EBC news. A minority sport in Scotland, but I do get what the original poster is saying.

hibsitis
26-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Think some people are missing the point here. The cricket comparison was just a way of showing how an atmosphere can influence a game. If someone's not doing well at work, shouting at them rarely produces better performance. And just because we've been used to making our feelings known through shouting or booing doesn't mean it's always got to be the same, especially at a difficult time in the game. By all means do it after but not when players most need our encouragement. Booing a sub decision may be ok but then let's get back behind the team.

CloudSquall
26-08-2019, 11:14 AM
" the umpire made a poor decision not spotting an LBW. The replay clearly showed the England batsman was out. If that had been called Australia would have won. The Australian response to this ‘injustice’ was to applaud England off the field and admire the extraordinary batting feat of Ben Stokes."

As a side note if the Hibs team ever did anything remotely close to this, applauding Hearts/Rangers/Celtic off the pitch after the likes of Dallas did Hibs out of a win, I'd be doing time.

Islington Hibs
26-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Think some people are missing the point here. The cricket comparison was just a way of showing how an atmosphere can influence a game. If someone's not doing well at work, shouting at them rarely produces better performance. And just because we've been used to making our feelings known through shouting or booing doesn't mean it's always got to be the same, especially at a difficult time in the game. By all means do it after but not when players most need our encouragement. Booing a sub decision may be ok but then let's get back behind the team.

Yes that was the point! It was about supporting your team through thick and thin. It was not about cricket being a good, bad or indifferent game!

It was simply a plea to give the team some time, and not go back to the bad old days when Easter Road was notorious for negativity

Devonhibs
26-08-2019, 11:34 AM
I watched it and noticed a Hibs fan wearing this seasons top in the crowd. Looked like he was enjoying the day.

lord bunberry
26-08-2019, 11:41 AM
100% correct. The OP can take the cricket and ram it. The England team just won the World Cup, ffs - I'm sure if this was a league-winning Hibs side, we'd all be erring on the side of "patience" or whatever he's suggesting.

Also 100% correct. From what I hear, the Englandshire fans were watching a virtuoso in Stokes, in a great side. We are watching turgid crap. Frankly, I've been bored of late more than anything else. Give us something to cheer and believe me, we'll deliver the noise. Some basic urgency, commitment and drive would be a good start.

So yeah. Absolutely honking OP, spectacularly ill-judged to say the least.
I was supporting England all the way in the World Cup and I hope they win the ashes, the only time I don’t support them is against Scotland.

HoboHarry
26-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Cricket is plsh
Nope. You are quite wrong in saying that........

One Day Soon
26-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Cricket is plsh

Cricket is great. Only tossers don't like it.

Am I doing this right?

One Day Soon
26-08-2019, 11:46 AM
I was supporting England all the way in the World Cup and I hope they win the ashes, the only time I don’t support them is against Scotland.

I agree with my noble friend.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 11:49 AM
That is what is so pleasing about sport

Always good to see the underdog emerge victorious even if it is Lucky Lucky England :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
26-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Cricket is great. Only tossers don't like it.

Am I doing this right?

Full tossers, presumably? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
26-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Does anyone really think if England had limped to a meek 200 all out and surrendered both the match and the Ashes tamely that the atmosphere would have been the same? The fans were caught up in a growing sense of belief as one man took the match by the scruff of the neck and dragged them home. Nothing of the sort happened at ER on Saturday.

Perhaps a better example for relative comparison would have been the 2013 SC semi final. At HT there was a toxic mixture of anger, disbelief, frustration and hurt. The team came out in the 2nd half and Alex Harris and Leigh Griffiths in particular were like men possessed. The crowd responded to that and by the time the equaliser and winner were scored it was bordering on mass hysteria.

One Day Soon
26-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Elegantly done JMS.

FilipinoHibs
26-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Headingley: passion and skill on show.

ER just now cowards with limited ability.

Product on the park that counts.

HoboHarry
26-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Better duck or the joke police will be appealing for you to be dismissed......

Hakim Sar
26-08-2019, 12:22 PM
The Hibs fans are magnificent.

Don't ever let the kidders on have you believe otherwise.

In recent times I would say easily the best away support in Scotland (old firm aside if their sheer numbers suits you).

I've often sat in a stadium watching all the hibees around me watching complete and utter garbage, unbefitting of such a fine support, and often in wonderment that so many continue to turn up in their droves.

Hibs have seen more heartbreak on the big stage than most, but the fans still turn up.

Hibs have seen more promising teams broken up by the vultures, with an exodus of more talent than practically any other Scottish team, but the fans still turn up.

The fans have seen more than their fare share of wallies as manager, but still they turn up.

Two relegations inside 20 years. Ridiculous really for the size of club we are. But still the fans show up.

Ross County, Livingston, 2012, but still they show up.

For every 5 hampden heartbreaks, I have seen what this amazing fan base can do when a Kilmarnock or Rangers cup final comes around.

Big football clubs should never accept mediocrity and should never, NEVER be chastised for wanting to win, be successful and see a good product on the park.

Blaming the fans right now for this messy start to the season, honestly have a word with yourself.

Hibs should always be top 4 / 5 and always looking to push on for a regular 3rd finish. Anything else is not in sync with the magnificent fan base we have.

I salute the Hibernian support. Certainly NOT the cause of the current predicament.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 12:26 PM

In recent times I would say easily the best away support in Scotland (old firm aside if their sheer numbers suits you).

I've often sat in a stadium watching all the hibees around me watching complete and utter garbage, unbefitting of such a fine support, and often in wonderment that so many continue to turn up in their droves.

Hibs have seen more heartbreak on the big stage than most, but the fans still turn up.

Hibs have seen more promising teams broken up by the vultures, with an exodus of more talent than practically any other Scottish team, but the fans still turn up.

The fans have seen more than their fare share of wallies as manager, but still they turn up.

Two relegations inside 20 years. Ridiculous really for the size of club we are. But still the fans show up.

For every 5 hampden heartbreaks, I have seen what this amazing fan base can do when a Kilmarnock or Rangers cup final comes around.

Big football clubs should never accept mediocrity and should never, NEVER be chastised for wanting to win, be successful and see a good product on the park.

Blaming the fans right now for this messy start to the season, honestly have a word with yourself.

Hibs should always be top 4 / 5 and ways looking to push on for a regular 3rd finish. Anything else is not in sync with the magnificent fan base we have.

I salute the Bibernian support. Certainly NOT the cause of the current predicament.

:top marks

Hibernian32
26-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Cricket and football have small connection.

AC milan where registered as a cricket club in England and I think can apply to play in the English league could be wrong was just a fun fact for the day.

hibsfan7
26-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Well i t will not be the first time he has seen a stokes on fire is it

we are hibs
26-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Hibs should always be top 4 / 5 and always looking to push on for a regular 3rd finish. Anything else is not in sync with the magnificent fan base we have.

I salute the Hibernian support. Certainly NOT the cause of the current predicament.

Thats an excellent post.

hibsitis
26-08-2019, 03:07 PM

There's a big difference in us turning out in huge numbers for big matches and behaviour at individual games. Harassing players who are not playing well or the team in general happens at games and it's not helpful.

ancient hibee
26-08-2019, 03:19 PM
I disagree with the OP but what childish posts about cricket.The Scottish cricket team has a far better international record than the Scottish football team like all the sports tagged “minority” by blinkered football fans.
I was glad to see Jackson dis agreeing with the manager’s comments.Once you start criticising supporters it’s the start of the slippery slope.

G B Young
26-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Cricket is plsh

It's often better to watch than football.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Headingley: passion and skill on show.

ER just now cowards with limited ability.

Product on the park that counts.

Who are the corwards? Pathetic thing to call our players, many of whom have given us great memories.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 03:52 PM
There's a big difference in us turning out in huge numbers for big matches and behaviour at individual games. Harassing players who are not playing well or the team in general happens at games and it's not helpful.

Hmmmm!

I don’t remember individual players getting harassed

Steven Whittaker a few weeks ago agree totally unacceptable probably one of our better players on the day

I heard booing on Saturday but I took it that was directed at the Manager after taking off Scott Allan after playing him out of position

I heard booing at the final whistle understandable in the circumstances two points dropped at the last minute people have to vent their feelings after all they have paid their money and are obviously not happy

YanYansen
26-08-2019, 04:06 PM

****in A.

One Day Soon
26-08-2019, 08:02 PM

What an absolutely excellent post.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 10:03 AM
I watched it and noticed a Hibs fan wearing this seasons top in the crowd. Looked like he was enjoying the day.

Yes seen that as well.

Smartie
27-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Ooft.

I like that.

hughio
27-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Thats an excellent post.

Yes.. but his Avatar is absolutely shocking!!

Bostonhibby
27-08-2019, 02:10 PM

I salute the Hibernian support. Certainly NOT the cause of the current predicament.Well said, lifts the tone right up.

Proud to be a Hibby.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
27-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Abso***inlutely