PDA

View Full Version : Players

dastardly8
25-08-2019, 04:34 PM
We all seem to be obsessed with Hecky at the moment but what about the players ? Regardless of the manager the players need to take control on the pitch and they aren’t , a manager can only try from the sidelines but the players need to do it , too many pedestrian performances which I bet isn’t what is practiced in training, in the last 5 mins of yesterday’s game STJ had about 3 or 4 rapid attempts on goal and they still didn’t heed the warning , there is enough good players at the club and I still think it will turn around when settled , the last point is players out of position, I played amateur football and was asked to play in multiple positions and still tried my heart out for the team so a poor excuse GGTH

pontius pilate
25-08-2019, 04:40 PM
We all seem to be obsessed with Hecky at the moment but what about the players ? Regardless of the manager the players need to take control on the pitch and they aren’t , a manager can only try from the sidelines but the players need to do it , too many pedestrian performances which I bet isn’t what is practiced in training, in the last 5 mins of yesterday’s game STJ had about 3 or 4 rapid attempts on goal and they still didn’t heed the warning , there is enough good players at the club and I still think it will turn around when settled , the last point is players out of position, I played amateur football and was asked to play in multiple positions and still tried my heart out for the team so a poor excuse GGTH

I've brought that up many times over the weekend. Why are the players not being scrutinised as well? Particularly the senior players who by all accounts have been at fault for the majority of the goals we have conceded. They know what it's like to play for us so why aren't they educating the newer players. No excuse no will to win no closing down and no desire. In no way would I ever compare us to liverpool but yesterday every single player took responsibility and closed down as 1 from Mane to VVD to Salah and Robertson

calumhibee1
25-08-2019, 04:45 PM
There was a couple god awful bits of play yesterday which were inexcusable for a pro footballer. Horgan had the whole of the St J half to play Kamberi into at one point who was off and in acres of space and he took forever attempting to get the ball out his feet while running until he ended up underhitting the pass that badly that it got intercepted. Would have made it 3-1 and game over.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Agree. Senior players are letting us down.

Lack of leadership on the pitch. Nobody taking responsibility, particularly defensively.

Allant1981
25-08-2019, 04:49 PM
A lot of defending has been horrendous recently and it's not down to formations or tactics, it's just bad play. Yes the manager should be questioned for other things but he cant be blamed for crap play, especially guys who should be better, hanlon and mcgregor have not been playing well this season. When we arent playing well these are guys who should be getting things sorted on the park but there is just no leadership at all just now as someone else rightly mentioned

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Yesterday as I seen it, the senior players need to grow pair, we have become a soft touch under Heckingbottom. The ones in bold for me, are not good enough.

Marciano - at fault for the first goal. Poor distribution as well. Should have been red carded for his horror tackle.

Gray - sick note, needs to retire.

Hanlon - poor again, at fault for the first and fails to win the header for the second. Just no very good

Jackson - done ok, took his goal well but he struggles at times with pacey forwards.

Stevenson - always passes back when theres plenty room to run into, his lack of ability to use his right foot is worrying.

Vela - full of energy and can pass but he gets left with two men to cover a lot.

S Allan - Played out of position yesterday and wasted on the right. Should not have been moved out there to accommodate Mallan.

Mallan - offers next to nothing, wouldn't be playing him.

Middleton - done ok but left on his own all too often when in an advanced position with no options to pass to.

Doidge - very poor for the money we paid.

Kamberi, best Hibs player on th park by a country mile.

Heckingbottom - clueless, the obvious sub was Horgan for Mallan and move Allan into the centre of midfield where he's most effective. Its no wonder he got stick for that. Playing for a 1-0 win at home is horrendous, the football was horrendous as well. OUT!

hibeerealist
25-08-2019, 05:26 PM
M
Yesterday as I seen it, the senior players need to grow pair, we have become a soft touch under Heckingbottom. The ones in bold for me, are not good enough.

Marciano - at fault for the first goal. Poor distribution as well. Should have been red carded for his horror tackle.

Hanlon - poor again, at fault for the first and fails to win the header for the second. Just no very good

Jackson - done ok, took his goal well but he struggles at times with pacey forwards.

Stevenson - always passes back when theres plenty room to run into, his lack of ability to use his right foot is worrying.

Vela - full of energy and can pass but he gets left with two men to cover a lot.

S Allan - Played out of position yesterday and wasted on the right. Should not have been moved out there to accommodate Mallan.

Middleton - done ok but left on his own all too often when in an advanced position with no options to pass to.

Heckingbottom - clueless, the obvious sub was Horgan for Mallan and move Allan into the centre of midfield where he's most effective. Its no wonder he got stick for that. Playing for a 1-0 win at home is horrendous, the football was horrendous as well. OUT!

Nice one HC think you hit the spot there and can’t argue. Hanlon has been poor in every league game and still a first pick.

Weegreenman
25-08-2019, 05:29 PM

:top marks

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 05:43 PM
M

Nice one HC think you hit the spot there and can’t argue. Hanlon has been poor in every league game and still a first pick.

Careful lads, agreeing with me won't do you any favours on here. :wink: :greengrin

MSK
25-08-2019, 05:44 PM
M

Nice one HC think you hit the spot there and can’t argue. Hanlon has been poor in every league game and still a first pick.So with Porteous not match fit and McGregor injured who would you replace Hanlon with ?

OstKurve Hibs
25-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Bartley or Milligan....oh wait

Smartie
25-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Bartley or Milligan....oh wait

Letting those 2 go is starting to look like his worst call so far.

we are hibs
25-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Not really seeing much in Jackson. Yes he makes big massive blocks but why the need to? McPake used to do the same. Its diving in for the sake of it.

25-08-2019, 06:04 PM

I said last night on another thread that each member of yesterday’s back four now lack real pace. They make up for it at times through experience and positional sense but at some stage in each game they get caught out for real pace. This doesn’t improve with McGregor back in either.
However the poor defending yesterday was not entirely down to the back four. I couldn’t believe my eyes yesterday when for about the last 20 minutes of the game Marciano would get the ball and punt it up the field. A St J defender would win the header and no Hibs player in midfield won a single secondary ball. The St J midfielders then fed their wingers and the back four were bombarded once again. This play was repeated and repeated for the last 20 minutes and our manager did nothing about it! and the outcome was inevitable. The back four yesterday had absolutely no protection from the midfield. Who is responsible for setting out the team’s midfield? Then he has the audacity to criticise fans for showing their displeasure at such an inept performance and to say they were to blame for making the players nervous! His jaikit must be on a shoogly peg.

iwasthere1972
25-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Careful lads, agreeing with me won't do you any favours on here. :wink: :greengrin

Enjoy it while it lasts.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2019, 06:31 PM

I don’t think letting them go was an issue. Marv was past his best and struggled when he did get on the pitch IMO. The idea of freeing Milligan’s wage up was right. It’s just what he’s done, or not done, with the money that is the issue.

A Hi-Bee
25-08-2019, 06:42 PM
So with Porteous not match fit and McGregor injured who would you replace Hanlon with ?

We just dont have very good players when really looked at, the new guys are no improvement on what we had before, results and displays are the gauge for measurment.

Jones28
25-08-2019, 06:50 PM

It’s not the letting them go, it’s the lack of replacing by them that’s the issue.

Letting them both go is fair, Bartley was a best a good derby player and Milligan was older and on good money from what has been reported.

What I don’t get is why, if it has been on the cards for a couple of months, was the new guy not brought in along with the majority of the signings?

bookert
25-08-2019, 07:10 PM
I said last night on another thread that each member of yesterday’s back four now lack real pace. They make up for it at times through experience and positional sense but at some stage in each game they get caught out for real pace. This doesn’t improve with McGregor back in either.
However the poor defending yesterday was not entirely down to the back four. I couldn’t believe my eyes yesterday when for about the last 20 minutes of the game Marciano would get the ball and punt it up the field. A St J defender would win the header and no Hibs player in midfield won a single secondary ball. The St J midfielders then fed their wingers and the back four were bombarded once again. This play was repeated and repeated for the last 20 minutes and our manager did nothing about it! and the outcome was inevitable. The back four yesterday had absolutely no protection from the midfield. Who is responsible for setting out the team’s midfield? Then he has the audacity to criticise fans for showing their displeasure at such an inept performance and to say they were to blame for making the players nervous! His jaikit must be on a shoogly peg.
Absolutely agree with this. The midfield are not even nuisance value as teams attack the back four. More worrying for me is players like Stevenson hanlon and gray seem unsure what their role is. Stevenson has always supported the wide left player but never got over the half way line. Same with gray ( one exception bust a gut to get on the end of a poor kamberi pass). Hanlon is an exceptional football playing centre back, comfortable taking the ball forward and joining attacks. Yesterday he shelled the bal forward, unlike him.

bingo70
25-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Players don’t mean to play badly and every one of them will be doing what they can on the park to win, playing badly is a consequence of various other influences.

Our biggest problem this season has been not having someone in midfield to put their foot on the ball and control the game and offer protection to the defence. Even if all our senior pros were all showing all the attributes people are looking for that problem with our midfield would still be a huge problem.

I don’t have a problem with the attitude and effort of any of our players (apart from maybe Newell who has really annoyed me), it’s not the players here that are causing the problem, it’s the players we don’t have that are the issue.

Hopefully the Swedish boy goes some way to fixing that.

Swedish hibee
25-08-2019, 07:23 PM
And Rocky! I know he's very good, but also has quite a few what's he doing moments?.. We just need all our experienced players to cut out the errors- and for everyone to keep the ball in our area with minutes left, something I've seen to often over the past few seasons.

snedzuk
25-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Not really seeing much in Jackson. Yes he makes big massive blocks but why the need to? McPake used to do the same. Its diving in for the sake of it.

Roasted several times by Matt Kennedy yesterday.