View Full Version : Heckingbottom-isms

25-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Instead of using the word "our" he says "us". E.g. "It was us best part of the game".

"Setting traps". Presumably that means giving us opponents the ball and doing as little as possible to get it back.

"Minutes in the legs". i.e. Time for us players on the pitch during a game which helps them to raise match fitness.

"Highest fitness levels ever known". Achieved presumably by playing the best central midfielder in Scotland wide right.

"High pressing game". I have no idea what he means by this. Something to do with laundry? Tam McCourt might know.

Any other Heckingbottom-isms?

25-08-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm a fraud

25-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Instead of using the word "our" he says "us". E.g. "It was us best part of the game".

"Setting traps". Presumably that means giving us opponents the ball and doing as little as possible to get it back.

"Minutes in the legs". i.e. Time for us players on the pitch during a game which helps them to raise match fitness.

"Highest fitness levels ever known". Achieved presumably by playing the best central midfielder in Scotland wide right.

"High pressing game". I have no idea what he means by this. Something to do with laundry? Tam McCourt might know.

Any other Heckingbottom-isms?

The "Setting Traps" one is particularly annoying.
Someone on another thread suggested he's trying to be too clever and I have to agree with that.
Setting traps just brings that home.

I think some of these managers get carried away because they see Klopp and Guardiola talking about formations that sound like a phone number.
That's brilliant when you have players of the calibre of Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta and so forth.

The quality of players we can attract I think you have to cut back on the options and keep it simpler.

A lot of these "Hecky-isms" bring back memories of Cathro - ****ing hilarious when he's in charge of comedy Yam performances but far less fun in the ER dugout.

25-08-2019, 01:08 PM
“It wisnae me a big boy did it and ran away!”

25-08-2019, 01:09 PM
"Drip feeding the information to the players".

25-08-2019, 01:11 PM
The "Setting Traps" one is particularly annoying.
Someone on another thread suggested he's trying to be too clever and I have to agree with that.
Setting traps just brings that home.

I think some of these managers get carried away because they see Klopp and Guardiola talking about formations that sound like a phone number.
That's brilliant when you have players of the calibre of Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta and so forth.

The quality of players we can attract I think you have to cut back on the options and keep it simpler.

A lot of these "Hecky-isms" bring back memories of Cathro - ****ing hilarious when he's in charge of comedy Yam performances but far less fun in the ER dugout.

All teams 'set traps' he's just giving us a bit more insight than most do when using the actual term. Lennon used to talk about Celtic setting traps for us when we played them.

Not defending him, just letting you know that that's basic tactical talk that coaches use.

25-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Looking forward to the thread slagging how he dresses, walks, or whatever else.

The guy is getting it wrong at the moment at Hibs but stuff like this is just kicking someone when they’re down, imho.

With friends like these, etc.

25-08-2019, 01:34 PM

The guy is getting it wrong at the moment at Hibs but stuff like this is just kicking someone when they’re down, imho.

It’s really poor stuff.

25-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Folk used to slag Yogi off because he spoke with a Leith accent.

Talking about the way Heckingbottom dresses, I'm just glad the weather is a bit warmer at the moment.

Those lambswool jumpers are not a good look for a football manager.

CloudSquall
25-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Aye the cardigan with the tie underneath look is getting on my tits, change it up FFS.

25-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Really no need for this, personal shots at a guy doing his best for our club.

25-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Pish thread even for the likes of me who would be happy for him to be punted tomorrow.

25-08-2019, 01:43 PM

25-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Folk used to slag Yogi off because he spoke with a Leith accent.

It wasn’t cool then either.

Lee Marvin
25-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Pathetic thread.

25-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Really no need for this, personal shots at a guy doing his best for our club.

I'd hope that everyone associated with Hibs is doing their best for the club.

Unfortunately, in some cases "their best" isn't good enough and I include Heckingbottom in that.

What he says influences how people perceive him, and, to me,he comes across as having plenty sound bites, but little substance.

Apart from Alex Ferguson, has a manager ever been able to retrieve a situation like this?

I've always been loyal to our managers and players, sometimes even when the writing really was on the wall, but I've lost faith in PH.

25-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Agreed, I’ve been quite vocal in his defence not because I’m happy with where we are but more because the level of negativity directed at him
and the club is insane just now.

25-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Pathetic thread.

Pathetic "head coach". :agree:

25-08-2019, 01:51 PM
What he says influences how people perceive him, and, to me,he comes across as having plenty sound bites, but little substance.

So comment on what he says rather than the way he says it.

25-08-2019, 01:55 PM
This is a thread I’d expect to see a Jambo start on Kickback. Still, when a mans down we may as well stick the boot in. :rolleyes:

thegaffer12
25-08-2019, 01:55 PM
As much as things aren't going our way, he isn't intentionally trying to drag Hibs down. No need to attack him personally.

Robbo6-2
25-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Class

Marvellous
25-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Quality thread

25-08-2019, 02:03 PM
So comment on what he says rather than the way he says it.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

25-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Unfortunately, in some cases "their best" isn't good enough and I include Heckingbottom in that.

Apart from Alex Ferguson, has a manager ever been able to retrieve a situation like this?

I've always been loyal to our managers and players, sometimes even when the writing really was on the wall, but I've lost faith in PH.

Yes, plenty of managers have turned things around against the odds.

You can lose all the faith you want, personally insulting the guy is pathetic.

25-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Except for Konte [emoji23]

25-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Yes they are.

25-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Pathetic "head coach". :agree:

[emoji106]