PDA

View Full Version : Serious question - Who would we replace Hecky with?

BlackSheep
25-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Not winding folk up with this question but who is actually available should the manager walk or get the sack in the coming weeks?

Booked4Being-Ugly
25-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Also, who’s going to pay for it?

Cataplana
25-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Ffs

jeffers
25-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Not winding folk up with this question but who is actually available should the manager walk or get the sack in the coming weeks?

Not really answering your question here, but check the post on the latest poll that lists the available managers - there are plenty. In saying that we would probably go down the Stubbs/Mowbray route again and appoint someone who has not been a head coach/manager before.

hibbie02
25-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Irrelevant. Who would have dreamed up Hecky as a solution before he was rumoured? We rarely go with the obvious.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Why do we need to replace the manager three games in?

Hibs90
25-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Someone who plays players in their correct position, and sets up a team in a positive manner to play attacking football.

CloudSquall
25-08-2019, 08:57 AM
This type of thread always comes up when a manager is under pressure, if someone knew the answer I'd expect them to be employed by the club, not posting on hibs.net.

chippy
25-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Jim Goodwin

SMAXXA
25-08-2019, 09:00 AM

Correct

overdrive
25-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Jim Goodwin

You will get pelters for that but we could do worse. He seems to combine his robust style of play that he had as a player with relatively attractive football. Again, it won’t be popular, but I’d quite like to see us be a bit more aggressive/dirty in the middle of the park at times along with the silky stuff. Just now we are neither!

darwenhibby
25-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Gray n McGregor
4 year deals for 30+ players??
Seem injured more than fit
They should know what Hibs need

Jones28
25-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Robinson from Motherwell

Golden Bear
25-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Jim Goodwin

:agree:

Its early in his Managerial career but he seems to be doing very well so far.

Michael
25-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Jim Goodwin

Too early in my opinion. Wait and see how he does at St. Mirren - it's a big step up from Alloa.

Smartie
25-08-2019, 09:21 AM
You will get pelters for that but we could do worse. He seems to combine his robust style of play that he had as a player with relatively attractive football. Again, it won’t be popular, but I’d quite like to see us be a bit more aggressive/dirty in the middle of the park at times along with the silky stuff. Just now we are neither!

I was really impressed with his team the other week.

They were well-drilled, organised, had a game plan and played well against a club with more resources.

He also speaks well in interviews, is quite an endearing guy and you could imagine players taking to him. He was also a leader throughout his playing career.

It's all very much at odds with the horrible thug of a player he was, but he's had a good start in management.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2019, 10:05 AM
When Stubbs left how many people suggested Lennon? When Lennon was neither sacked or resigned how many suggested Heckingbottom?

'Who else is out there' is the last throw of the dice for when people run out of arguments. Dozens of managers would be desperate for a crack at the Hibs job whenever it becomes available.

Smartie
25-08-2019, 10:11 AM
When Stubbs left how many people suggested Lennon? When Lennon was neither sacked or resigned how many suggested Heckingbottom?

'Who else is out there' is the last throw of the dice for when people run out of arguments. Dozens of managers would be desperate for a crack at the Hibs job whenever it becomes available.

I don't think we're far off having a very good side, but I have serious reservations about Heckingbottom's ability to recognise what needs done.

If the question is "who else is out there" then the honest answer must be "anyone who knows the importance of a solid midfield using and of playing your best players in their best positions" which leaves you with a pretty wide pool to choose from.

Gaffer1875
25-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Disappointing start to the season given our performances and ultimately results however, I think PH has 3 games to turn the fans around with a minimum of 7 points required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
25-08-2019, 10:32 AM

We finished higher up the table under Heckingbottom than looked likely under Lennon, so a change pays for itself provided we get someone better in.

Heckingbottom still has time to turn things round, but it's his squad and his playing system now so there are no excuses if performances don't improve.

WhileTheChief..
25-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Starting point has to be someone with experience of Scottish football.

Stubbs and Lennon got it, and got us too, which was a bonus.

Calderwood, Fenton and Heckingbottom had never set foot here before.

There has to be a lesson in there somewhere!

I’ve left Butcher out for obvious reasons.

BoomtownHibees
25-08-2019, 10:53 AM

Why are you only counting 3 games?

cad
25-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Way to early to even think about getting rid,but he does need a few things to change/work for him thats for sure .

The 90+2
25-08-2019, 11:05 AM
David Moyes.

cad
25-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Just the mention of that prick Calderwood raises my pulse rate :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2019, 11:12 AM
I don't think we're far off having a very good side, but I have serious reservations about Heckingbottom's ability to recognise what needs done.

If the question is "who else is out there" then the honest answer must be "anyone who knows the importance of a solid midfield using and of playing your best players in their best positions" which leaves you with a pretty wide pool to choose from.

Sums up perfectly where I'm at.

I know it's early in the season but if he can't see the things you correctly identify as being utterly wrong with the selection and formation I'm not sure how anyone would reasonably expect things to improve. It takes a lot for me to be advocating punting the manager at this stage of the season but I just don't see anything changing.

I'd bet the house he's gone by Christmas and unfortunately that's the season goosed by then.
Get someone in now and there's a chance it can be turned around.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2019, 11:16 AM
When we failed to get Appleton, am i right in thinking he could not agree a severance package?

It was rumoured that we wanted a 3 month package incase he was potted, if this is correct, Heckingbottom 6 would hopefully have the same contract, and it wont be such a big pay off when he's sacked.

bawheid
25-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Heckingbottom 6

That’s poor patter. No different to the days of “Mixup” though.

The 90+2
25-08-2019, 11:20 AM
When we failed to get Appleton, am i right in thinking he could not agree a severance package?

It was rumoured that we wanted a 3 month package incase he was potted, if this is correct, Heckingbottom 6 would hopefully have the same contract, and it wont be such a big pay off when he's sacked.

Yeah that sounds about right.

I think he may resign to keep his reputation down South okay.

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2019, 11:41 AM

We've played 3 league games this season true.
But we've also played League cup games, pre-season friendlies and 14 games from last season to use as the basis for judgement.

The results following a good start are not atrocious but they're not what we're after and the evidence in the league is a downward trajectory - W1 D1 L4 in the last 6.

What's really concerning is the performances. We just don't look like a team that is going out with the right formation to get results.

He's playing players in wrongpositions that doesn't make the best use of them and seems to want to play formations that frankly don't work.
We're playing 5 attackers and have no midfield to control the game. That's tactically naive and I'm bemused as to how anyone could think that would work.

That to me isn't getting it slightly wrong in a set up - I can excuse a manager that....it's the equivalent of a player having a bad game.

It looks like he's completely out of his depth and consistently making poor decisions on what starting XI to play, where to play players, what formation
to use to get a result and what substitutes to make. Hibs is a big job. It's not a job for someone to be struggling with the basics.

I don't advocate firing a manager this early lightly and I'd normally completely agree with you but I just do not see him turning this around.
Consequently for me it's a question of when and not if we fire him and for me I'd do it now rather than say at Christmas when the season is gone.

Crab apple
25-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Tam McCourt

The Green Goblin
25-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Absolutely this. I think this is what is doing for PH right now.

coldingham hibs
25-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Gary Holt has impressed me. I think he would do a good job.

we are hibs
25-08-2019, 12:13 PM

I dont know but heckingbottom has the same agent as Appleton. So he wouldve known exactly what was offered and what terms the club were offering before negotiations began with heckingbottom

YanYansen
25-08-2019, 12:28 PM
You know, I feel like managers who come up from down south, who have never either played or managed in Scotland, are a big risk. Barnsley may well have more money, but the expectations of their support (I'd wager) are in keeping with their relative place in the national food chain. As a result, I expect (though obviously can't know for sure) that PH's brand of percentage football would go down okay there, as long as it was delivering WDLWDLWDL sort of form; and conversely why it didn't go down well at Leeds, who are in a "false position" as it were.

The expectations at Hibs however are more in alignment with, say, a Tottenham, Arsenal or an Everton, but within a Scottish context: ie challenging the pre-eminent two, and expecting to have shots at the cups. We also have a DNA that expects to attack and entertain, and that must be respected - even if it delivers inconsistent results, I feel pretty confident in saying that our support is happy to back that through good times and bad. And it's that DNA that underpins the howls of derision surrounding Allan's misuse and then substitution.

I guess what I'm saying in essence is that a Barnsley-style mid-table attitude will simply not fly up here. If PH is to have a hope of turning this around, he'd do well to learn those facts, and learn them quick.

EI255
25-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Hate to say it but I honestly don't think it'll improve. I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Eaststand
25-08-2019, 12:50 PM

I know this has been the topic in lots of previous threads on here, but I'd like to see Stubbs given another chance with us.

Yep he made some mistakes while he was with us last time, but even the best managers make mistakes. Stubbs signings were mostly good and I enjoyed his brand of football too

GGTTH

Ray_
25-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Where are we getting those three games from?

We had the last six from last season when we didn't play well & the league cup games this season and before we get the pre-season nonsense, some of the best performances I've seen from Hibs have been in the Dryburgh Cup and League Cup section games and those were after longer previous season's [competing in Europe] where we would have been playing more matches with far fewer players playing on far worse pitches than today.

We were dominated again by a team with a far lower budget than us, he needs to accept responsibility rather than blaming the fans.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Gordon Strachan.

Halmyre Hibee
25-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Gary Holt has impressed me. I think he would do a good job.

I mentioned him in another post. Seems to get the best out of average players of which we appear to have many.

Imagine what he would get out of our better players with organisation.

A yes from me.

eastmainsmsh
25-08-2019, 01:34 PM
I'd love stubbs but won't happen . think heck is too stubborn to change his methods system etc

lyonhibs
25-08-2019, 02:34 PM

The obvious reason being that it doesn't suit your argument?? :confused:

Scottish football isn't some mystifying beast.

If we're not getting the results come October/November time this will become a valid thread, not before.

SRHibs
25-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Someone who doesn't value job security would be ideal.

WhileTheChief..
25-08-2019, 02:44 PM
The obvious reason being that it doesn't suit your argument?? :confused:

Scottish football isn't some mystifying beast.

If we're not getting the results come October/November time this will become a valid thread, not before.

I’m not making any argument at all. That’s why you’re confused.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Someone who doesn't value job security would be ideal.

If you're into job security then I'd suggest it's best to consider a career other than football management.

lyonhibs
25-08-2019, 02:53 PM
I’m not making any argument at all. That’s why you’re confused.

You said the starting point had to be experience of Scottish football, which is in itself debatable, and then listed some managers to back this up but deliberately left out the one clear example that would have highlighted the fact that prior experience of Scottish football is no guarantor of success so shouldn't be a "non negotiable" characteristic of any hypothetical new manager.

SRHibs
25-08-2019, 03:00 PM
If you're into job security then I'd suggest it's best to consider a career other than football management.

Only a few games ago we were worried about Hecky getting poached by Hull. Now we want to sack him after 3 league games. All football fans are fickle, but this forum takes the absolute cake at times. It borders on delusions of grandeur. The reality is that we have the 5th biggest budget in the division, so anything around that should be a satisfying finish. I'm confident Hecky can deliver that plus a decent cup run.

The football is a bit iffy at the moment, and I'm by no means his biggest fan, but he 100% deserves more time to develop the team. The players have raved about him, so I'm more than willing to trust their judgment.

hibbyfraelibby
25-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Shelley Kerr...gets tore in about the players, even when its not their fault the tactics and subsitutions were mis-timed or non-existant.

Oh wait a minute...

Inconsequential
25-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Shelley Kerr...gets tore in about the players, even when its not their fault the tactics and subsitutions were mis-timed or non-existant.

Oh wait a minute... Cherie Lunghi has previous managerial experience....:wink:

thebausburst
25-08-2019, 04:36 PM
stubbs would be the obvious choice, but won’t happen due to acrimony with the board over his departure.

25-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Not sure why Strachan wasn’t number one target after Lennon left.

Yorkshire HFC
25-08-2019, 04:41 PM
After 3 games - surely you can't be serious.

England have just won a Test Match in the cricket from an impossible position - that's what is possible in sport - never give up - there's plenty of time for Hibs to come good.

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2019, 04:42 PM
You know, I feel like managers who come up from down south, who have never either played or managed in Scotland, are a big risk. Barnsley may well have more money, but the expectations of their support (I'd wager) are in keeping with their relative place in the national food chain. As a result, I expect (though obviously can't know for sure) that PH's brand of percentage football would go down okay there, as long as it was delivering WDLWDLWDL sort of form; and conversely why it didn't go down well at Leeds, who are in a "false position" as it were.

The expectations at Hibs however are more in alignment with, say, a Tottenham, Arsenal or an Everton, but within a Scottish context: ie challenging the pre-eminent two, and expecting to have shots at the cups. We also have a DNA that expects to attack and entertain, and that must be respected - even if it delivers inconsistent results, I feel pretty confident in saying that our support is happy to back that through good times and bad. And it's that DNA that underpins the howls of derision surrounding Allan's misuse and then substitution.

I guess what I'm saying in essence is that a Barnsley-style mid-table attitude will simply not fly up here. If PH is to have a hope of turning this around, he'd do well to learn those facts, and learn them quick.

Good post.:top marks

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Only a few games ago we were worried about Hecky getting poached by Hull. Now we want to sack him after 3 league games. All football fans are fickle, but this forum takes the absolute cake at times. It borders on delusions of grandeur. The reality is that we have the 5th biggest budget in the division, so anything around that should be a satisfying finish. I'm confident Hecky can deliver that plus a decent cup run.

The football is a bit iffy at the moment, and I'm by no means his biggest fan, but he 100% deserves more time to develop the team. The players have raved about him, so I'm more than willing to trust their judgment.

Thank goodness that you're not the manager with this type of thinking.
Delusions of grandeur???
Any Hibs manager should be challenging for top 3 minimum, not settling on 5th!
At least Lennon understood this and went for it, rather than meekly deferring to our rivals.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Not sure why Strachan wasn’t number one target after Lennon left.

AIUI Strachan was/has been spoken to about the job.

Real Emerald
25-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Do you mean prior to Hecky or now?

Jones28
25-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Is he not working for Dundee atm? So compo for strachan and then paying off PH and I would assume Robbie Stockdale?

25-08-2019, 04:54 PM

What does AIUI mean. Given he’s director of football at Dundee, we didn’t try hard enough.

SRHibs
25-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Delusions of grandeur???
At least Lennon understood this and went for it, rather than meekly deferring to our rivals.

Top 3 minimum, on the 5th biggest budget? You do the math. It will happen now and then, but unless we increase the budget it will never happen with consistency.

Aye, born winner Lennon understood this and left us 8th in the league.

jeffers
25-08-2019, 04:58 PM
What does AIUI mean. Given he’s director of football at Dundee, we didn’t try hard enough.

As I understand it would be my guess. Another guess would be that director of football isn't a full time job. I seem to remember him being quoted as not wanting to be a manager again.

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Delusions of grandeur???

Aye he was right on course for top 3 in the slipstream of the 7 teams above us when he left.

Surely the point is we need to temper our expectations, not every season is going to be a cracker.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Do you mean prior to Hecky or now?

Previously.

Hibs90
25-08-2019, 05:03 PM

^^ Perfect example of accepting mediocrity.

SRHibs
25-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Perfect example of being realistic, enjoying the brilliant seasons when they happen, and not having a meltdown based on a sample size of 3 league games. When the Hibs manager is given the 3rd biggest budget in the league my expectations will shift.

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Or giving the manager time to get his team in place. It didn’t happen overnight with Lennon either, the season in the championship and the first half of the top flight season were pretty flat affairs. The second half was awesome though.

Hibs90
25-08-2019, 05:08 PM
sample size of 3 league games

Nope its based on every game from the split onwards last season. Including the league cup games aswell.

Real Emerald
25-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Previously.

☹️ I had a glimmer of hope you meant that things were in motion again.

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Nope its based on every game from the split onwards last season. Including the league cup games aswell.

So ignoring the good results prior to that. Seems fair.

Hibs90
25-08-2019, 05:13 PM
So ignoring the good results prior to that. Seems fair.

He got results against bottom 6 sides. Which should be expected from a Hibs side regardless.

Scorrie
25-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Its early in his Managerial career but he seems to be doing very well so far.

Yep I think he’ll prove to be a very good coach

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2019, 05:19 PM
He got results against bottom 6 sides. Which should be expected from a Hibs side regardless.

So it’s fair to assume that he should beat the teams in the bottom 6 because they are operating on a lower budget. It is also fair to expect that he should over a prolonged period of time finish above teams with a bigger budget. Surely you can see the flaw in that logic? Teams won’t outperform their budget on a regular basis, evidenced by how many times we have been 3rd or 4th in the last few years.

BlackSheep
25-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Apologies I have been a bit busy so just checking this thread now...

I ask the question purely out of interest as so many on here seem to know better than Hecky. I’ve looked that the list going around and no one in our reach interests me if I’m honest...

hibeerealist
25-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Aye he was right on course for top 3 in the slipstream of the 7 teams above us when he left.

Surely the point is we need to temper our expectations, not every season is going to be a cracker.

Was last season a cracker then?

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Was last season a cracker then?

No

we are hibs
25-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Apologies I have been a bit busy so just checking this thread now...

I ask the question purely out of interest as so many on here seem to know better than Hecky. I’ve looked that the list going around and no one in our reach interests me if I’m honest...

Its not the fans job to employ managers so i dont know why people constantly feel the need to ask who would Joe, 49 from Lochend who works as a sparky bring in as next manager.

All i know is the current one isnt the man who will bring success to the club and the majority seem to think the same going by the reaction at the match and since the match.

Booked4Being-Ugly
25-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Its not the fans job to employ managers so i dont know why people constantly feel the need to ask who would Joe, 49 from Lochend who works as a sparky bring in as next manager.

All i know is the current one isnt the man who will bring success to the club and the majority seem to think the same going by the reaction at the match and since the match.

Does Joe the sparky do homers?

heretoday
26-08-2019, 09:50 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Lennon at ER - maybe not for a couple of years. Many would have him back.

Slim Shady
26-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Will Hecky require a payout?

First choice Appleton walked away as there was no severance pay.

H18S NX
26-08-2019, 10:26 AM
I would go for Michael Stewart,at least he would build a team around Scotty Allen,and play him in the right position.

J-C
26-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Will Hecky require a payout?

First choice Appleton walked away as there was no severance pay.

There was mention of only being a 4 months pay off which Appleton wasn't happy with.

Since452
26-08-2019, 10:31 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Lennon at ER - maybe not for a couple of years. Many would have him back.

If we think it's bad now it was far worse under Lennon

sean04
26-08-2019, 10:35 AM
David moyes

emerald green
26-08-2019, 10:56 AM
What's Ian Cathro doing these days? That went well. :greengrin

lucky
26-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Jim Goodwin would be a decent shout but whoever gets it must have knowledge of Scottish football.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2019, 12:56 PM
I would go for Michael Stewart,at least he would build a team around Scotty Allen,and play him in the right position.

Yes, the appoint a random pundit approach worked well for Dundee, Valencia and Monaco.

Scott Allan has been very good under Hecky, scoring and assisting plenty. On Saturday he tried something different, the 442 many on here were moaning for (Scott Allan cannot play in a 442 at all) and it backfired. Hardly grounds for sacking.

flash
26-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Aye because he left on such good terms.

H18S NX
26-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Yes, the appoint a random pundit approach worked well for Dundee, Valencia and Monaco.

Scott Allan has been very good under Hecky, scoring and assisting plenty. On Saturday he tried something different, the 442 many on here were moaning for (Scott Allan cannot play in a 442 at all) and it backfired. Hardly grounds for sacking......It was tongue in cheek after listening to him on sportscene yesterday.

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 01:37 PM
If we think it's bad now it was far worse under Lennon

No it wasn’t. It was just as **** and disorganised towards the end but it wasn’t worse.

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Scott Allan has been very good under Hecky, scoring and assisting plenty. On Saturday he tried something different, the 442 many on here were moaning for (Scott Allan cannot play in a 442 at all) and it backfired. Hardly grounds for sacking.

Here fishy fishy fishy

southsider
26-08-2019, 01:51 PM
It has been a right few years since I have been so bored at a Hibs home game. Heck's teams are mind blowingly dull. Slow, slow pass sideways' then back to centre half then hoof. We are turning into hertz. Cut our losses and get rid before any more harm if done.

chippy
26-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Too early in my opinion. Wait and see how he does at St. Mirren - it's a big step up from Alloa.

Wait too long and he’ll be away to the Jambos or Dins or Killie etc

WhileTheChief..
26-08-2019, 04:19 PM
It has been a right few years since I have been so bored at a Hibs home game. Heck's teams are mind blowingly dull. Slow, slow pass sideways' then back to centre half then hoof. We are turning into hertz. Cut our losses and get rid before any more harm if done.

Tell you what, I wasn't bored when NL was manager!

Some of the results might have been a bit iffy towards the end but everything was else was so much better than it is now.

I kinda get why folk want to stick up for Heckingbottom but to try and compare him to Lennon is ridiculous. Even by the time NL left there were more fans behind him than against him.

I'd imagine if fans were asked who they'd prefer now they'd snap your hand off to have Lennon back.

#2 Double Tap
26-08-2019, 04:28 PM
No it wasn’t. It was just as **** and disorganised towards the end but it wasn’t worse.

different people same over all problem, they never sorted the CM out, its where all our problems are coming from.

Lennon wouldnt have ended up the way it did, if he had signed 2 decent CM's. IMO

chippy
26-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Some of the results might have been a bit iffy towards the end but everything was else was so much better than it is now.

I kinda get why folk want to stick up for Heckingbottom but to try and compare him to Lennon is ridiculous. Even by the time NL left there were more fans behind him than against him.

I'd imagine if fans were asked who they'd prefer now they'd snap your hand off to have Lennon back.
If she does leave I wonder how that leaves the non disclosure agreements between the ‘old Hibs bosses and Lenny’ would love to know the full story

Turkish Green
26-08-2019, 04:36 PM
If decision is to replace him then it must be done before the January window opens. However, I have a feeling that LD will be departing first.

The Modfather
26-08-2019, 04:55 PM

I was bored for all of Lennon’s championship season, it was turgid. A little underwhelmed the first 6 months back in the SPL, massively overwhelmed at the the second 6 months to that season and bemused by most of his final season.

As it stands I’d probably not want either as manager, but think I’d reluctantly choose Heckingbottom over Lennon as I don’t miss the Lennon outbursts or it all too often becoming the Lennon show.

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2019, 05:04 PM
There will be plenty of good managers wanting the Hibs job when the time arises. As yet I'm still willing to give Hecky time - at least the first round of fixtures - before judging him. I'm concerned about the team, but he deserves every chance.

Percy Vere
26-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Jim Goodwin

Jeeez

Percy Vere
26-08-2019, 05:15 PM
There will be plenty of good managers wanting the Hibs job when the time arises. As yet I'm still willing to give Hecky time - at least the first round of fixtures - before judging him. I'm concerned about the team, but he deserves every chance.

Absolutely right
We’re people knocking him when he took over from Lennon and got us top six?

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Absolutely right
We’re people knocking him when he took over from Lennon and got us top six?

No. They're knocking him now because the team is playing poor football and turning in poor performances.
That's part of a trend that goes back to the tail end of last season and, if it continues, will have us in trouble.

We had to punt Lennon - that's a given - but credit PH got for an initial good start is now gone.
There's a pattern of poor football, tactical naivety and the results that come along with it.

If he doesn't change it and improve the performances at least and the results ideally then he'll be deservedly fired.
We look like a team that is easy to take points off from the less good sides and easy to beat from the good ones.

In short there's nothing he's doing right now that suggests top six is on the cards.
And for the love of God don't quote the "three games in" stuff.
We're poor right now and people who want to keep him need to be saying what they're seeing to suggest he can turn
this round rather than blind faith that it'll somehow go right by him persisting with the same ideas.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 05:28 AM
I'm not getting why we have to compare this manager with the last one, surely they should both be judged by what they have done or are doing?

Since452
27-08-2019, 05:50 AM
Can't see it being anyone up here. We'd replace Heckingbottom with another guy from down south who'd be on a hiding to nothing. We almost brought in Appleton before Heckingbottom for instance. Probably be that market again. In my opinion we're better sticking with the manager who's now bedded in and knows the club rather than starting from scratch with no transfer window until January. Heckingbottom deserves at least one window to see what he can do surely? If we're 8th and poor in December then thats the time to get rid. We're only 3 games in.

mcfly
27-08-2019, 06:34 AM
To blame the fans is unforgivable and appalling in my view.

He has to take responsibility and play players in their correct positions. His stubbornness about our best player will get him sacked.

If we lose the derby at home he will be gone.

Peevemor
27-08-2019, 06:39 AM

He has to take responsibility and play players in their correct positions. His stubbornness about our best player will get him sacked.

He didn't blame the fans though. He said that the players have to be be able to cope if the crowd get humpty.

18Craig75
27-08-2019, 06:45 AM
If he doesn’t lose his stubbornness and quickly then it won’t end well. His signings haven’t hit the ground running despite, in the main, being in very early.

Not doing himself any favours in the media at all. Blaming fans and being sarcastic about there not being a law about taking our best player off doesn’t fly. Similarly, after Ibrox he hung the players out to dry a bit and didn’t even acknowledge the dreadful team selection & tactics (if there were any).

It’s also see a lot of fans and pundits say it’s only 3 games in. It’s not, he basically had half a season, an opportunity in the Scottish cup, a full pre season, league cup group stage plus three games. Ironically his best period came with someone else’s players

I personally think he faces a big task to turn things around from here. I wouldn’t be adverse to giving Steve Robinson from Motherwell a shot.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Which wasn't happening when he came in. He did very well when he initially came in however no doubt is struggling a bit now. Up to him and the players to sort it out otherwise the inevitable will happen.

The Leith Dutch
27-08-2019, 06:47 AM

Yep. While there's a good case that the fans shouldn't be booing (though I can understand the response from Saturday)
the fact remains that he has been backed and backed well in the transfer market. He now shoulders responsibility for
turning that outlay into a good, competitive footballing team.

I think in his head his formation and where he's playing people is right and if he persists with it that results will come.
He strikes me as quite stubborn but unless he develops some flexibility around formations and where people are
playing then I'd agree he's gone.

Very much where I'm at in my thinking. Absolutely gone if he loses both the previous games surely?

Two questions:
- What does he need to get out of those two previous games to get away with a derby loss? Two wins?
- Could he survive on a marked improvement in performance in these three games without the results?

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Which wasn't happening when he came in. He did very well when he initially came in however no doubt is struggling a bit now. Up to him and the players to sort it out otherwise the inevitable will happen.

I think he's struggling now because of the players he's signed, and playing systems that we dont have the players to play.

He got away with it last season because he had better players to pick from, now he's brought in this lot, we will struggle, there is no real cohesion, and no Hibs team should get pumped 6 from sevco or be on the back foot against St Johnstone at home ever.

Telling us we will play a type of football, then filling the team with players who dont have the energy or ability to press only tells me he talks a good game, but has no idea how to implement it.

J-C
27-08-2019, 08:52 AM
I think he's struggling now because of the players he's signed, and playing systems that we dont have the players to play.

He got away with it last season because he had better players to pick from, now he's brought in this lot, we will struggle, there is no real cohesion, and no Hibs team should get pumped 6 from sevco or be on the back foot against St Johnstone at home ever.

Telling us we will play a type of football, then filling the team with players who dont have the energy or ability to press only tells me he talks a good game, but has no idea how to implement it.

We had the energy of Omeonga, McNulty who is far better than Doidge, Miligan who I thought was decent and played the holding role better than anyone we have now and a fit Gray and Stevenson.

Franck Stanton
27-08-2019, 09:00 AM
I know this has been the topic in lots of previous threads on here, but I'd like to see Stubbs given another chance with us.

Yep he made some mistakes while he was with us last time, but even the best managers make mistakes. Stubbs signings were mostly good and I enjoyed his brand of football too

GGTTH

Me too also. Would love to have Stubbs back.

J-C
27-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Me too also. Would love to have Stubbs back.

Only if Doolan and Taff came back with him, especially Doolan who was seemingly the main guy in the coaching dept.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Cant really argue with any of that. The players he has brought especially middle to front have little or no athleticism about them and seem to play in second gear. The others possibly Vela apart are pretty much squad guys who will fill in. As JC indicated also we lost Omeonga and McNulty both which were good technical players but also got about the pitch and competed that is in stark contrast with the types of player brought in. Think he has been unlucky with Boyle McGregor Gray injuries however the gray one in particular looked all over like he was rushed back in. Hopefully the new Swedish guy is good as he needs to be plus we need a McNulty forward if Shaw is being loaned out.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 09:09 AM
We had the energy of Omeonga, McNulty who is far better than Doidge, Miligan who I thought was decent and played the holding role better than anyone we have now and a fit Gray and Stevenson.

Good post agree with that. No point getting shot of Milligan if we were not getting an upgrade.

makaveli1875
27-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Want Heckey out because the footballs boring and the suggested replacements are Jim Goodwin , Gary Holt and Steve Robinson :faf:

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Want Heckey out because the footballs boring and the suggested replacements are Jim Goodwin , Gary Holt and Steve Robinson :faf:

Very valid point. :greengrin

H18S NX
27-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Let's be honest,the football on display has been p*** poor,they seem to be playing with fear,midfield non existent,weird subs etc,teams are strolling through us.

happiehibbie
27-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Correct

Have you ever had a job where its just not working out for you or saw it in your work place ? they're quickly moved on and replaced. happened in my work the other day.

Sometimes you just know !

Greenworld
28-08-2019, 07:01 AM

It was rumoured that we wanted a 3 month package incase he was potted, if this is correct, Heckingbottom 6 would hopefully have the same contract, and it wont be such a big pay off when he's sacked.Perhaps that's where the 50k to get rid off rumour came from

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

jacomo
28-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Pointless. Lennon became a nightmare and walked.

Also pointless talking about Appleton because he wouldn’t accept our terms.

Personally I’d have taken Stubbs back and at least we would have taken the job.

Torto7
28-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Aitor Karanka, Di Matteo, Garry Monk.

Probably outwith our budget but there are some interesting managers without a job just now.

stuart-farquhar
28-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Al Gorithm. Definitely my choice.

The 90+2
28-08-2019, 11:06 AM

A calculated risk imo 👍

jacomo
28-08-2019, 11:11 AM

If you like him, I’ve got loads more suggestions for you.

WeeRussell
28-08-2019, 11:16 AM
This type of thread always comes up when a manager is under pressure, if someone knew the answer I'd expect them to be employed by the club, not posting on hibs.net.

Couldn't you apply that logic to almost every Hibs-related thread on here?

WhileTheChief..
28-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Pointless. Lennon became a nightmare and walked.

Also pointless talking about Appleton because he wouldn’t accept our terms.

Personally I’d have taken Stubbs back and at least we would have taken the job.

I wasn't in favour of Stubbs returning when NL left but I'd have him back in a heartbeat now.

percy veer
28-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Delusions of grandeur???

Same Lennon who had us in the bottom 6, could not beat hearts at tynie and also had a miserable record against ST J , think people.need to get off the managers back

Sammy7nil
28-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Same Lennon who had us in the bottom 6, could not beat hearts at tynie and also had a miserable record against ST J , think people.need to get off the managers back

i just saw Hecky I can confirm he did not have any supporters on his back :wink:

Eyrie
28-08-2019, 06:40 PM

So we'll counter Levein's hoofball by getting a manager who plays moneyball.

Cabbage-Patch
29-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Martin O'Neil

BILLYHIBS
29-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Not gonna happen but:

Michael ONeill

Loves our club former player and lives in Edinburgh

SquashedFrogg
29-08-2019, 06:24 AM
We've played 3 league games this season true.
But we've also played League cup games, pre-season friendlies and 14 games from last season to use as the basis for judgement.

The results following a good start are not atrocious but they're not what we're after and the evidence in the league is a downward trajectory - W1 D1 L4 in the last 6.

What's really concerning is the performances. We just don't look like a team that is going out with the right formation to get results.

He's playing players in wrongpositions that doesn't make the best use of them and seems to want to play formations that frankly don't work.
We're playing 5 attackers and have no midfield to control the game. That's tactically naive and I'm bemused as to how anyone could think that would work.

That to me isn't getting it slightly wrong in a set up - I can excuse a manager that....it's the equivalent of a player having a bad game.

It looks like he's completely out of his depth and consistently making poor decisions on what starting XI to play, where to play players, what formation
to use to get a result and what substitutes to make. Hibs is a big job. It's not a job for someone to be struggling with the basics.

I don't advocate firing a manager this early lightly and I'd normally completely agree with you but I just do not see him turning this around.
Consequently for me it's a question of when and not if we fire him and for me I'd do it now rather than say at Christmas when the season is gone.

Another tactical expert. I assume you'll be sending your cv in?

Since452
29-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Lennons good 4 months in charge of Hibs bought him a bit of time but the 15/16 game run with one win or whatever it was was far worse than anything we've seen under Heckingbottom imo. Lennon should have been sacked last November. I can't get my head around the level of abuse Heckingbottom gets compared to Lennon.

jacomo
29-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Another smart erse comment.

Have you been watching the games? We ain’t looking great.

The 90+2
29-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Not gonna happen but:

Michael ONeill

Loves our club former player and lives in Edinburgh

Next Celtic or Rangers manager I think.

The 90+2
29-08-2019, 11:00 AM

That’s poor show against a well constructed post. You’re better than that mate.

WeeRussell
29-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Which parts of his analysis do you disagree with, assuming you attend games?

Honestly... surely the guy giving the reasons why he doesn't think our manager is performing well is preferred to crappy attempts at puns on his last name, simple abuse, or "hecky out" posts?

Write a post well and give reasoned opinion and you're "another tactical expert". :rolleyes:

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Lennons good 4 months in charge of Hibs bought him a bit of time but the 15/16 game run with one win or whatever it was was far worse than anything we've seen under Heckingbottom imo. Lennon should have been sacked last November. I can't get my head around the level of abuse Heckingbottom gets compared to Lennon.

I guess it's cause not many folk see it the same way as you do!

I know it's not a popular thing to say on here but NL was well liked by the majority of Hibs fans.

I don't know anyone in real life who thinks things are better now, its only a few posters on here that claim this.

If Lennon had been sacked last November this place would have been in uproar.

The 90+2
29-08-2019, 01:54 PM
I guess it's cause not many folk see it the same way as you do!

I know it's not a popular thing to say on here but NL was well liked by the majority of Hibs fans.

I don't know anyone in real life who thinks things are better now, its only a few posters on here that claim this.

If Lennon had been sacked last November this place would have been in uproar.

It’s as **** now as it was the start of this year. It probably adds to the supporters being pissed off. Two managers, record season tickets, same ***** were watching. Both of them love the tombola box.