PDA

View Full Version : Gray’s injury

hibee_girl
25-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Looked a bad one at the time, any news on it?

SMAXXA
25-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Guys no luck what so ever looked a sore one the way his leg was straight and the weight going on it 🤞🏼 He’s ok and back pronto

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Doubt this will be popular but we probably should've released him and got someone more reliable over the summer. Hoping James is back soon because using a sub to bring on a fullback every week is getting ridiculous.

we are hibs
25-08-2019, 09:28 AM
It was hardly his fault he got injured yesterday. Scott allan halved him.

itslegaltender
25-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Left the ground on crutches and knee in a brace.

neil7908
25-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Concerned about him. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we'll see him play many more games for Hibs

SMAXXA
25-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Doubt this will be popular but we probably should've released him and got someone more reliable over the summer. Hoping James is back soon because using a sub to bring on a fullback every week is getting ridiculous.

Would agree if it was all muscular but they arnt he’s so unlucky yesterdays was a sore one and totally unfortunate

hibee_girl
25-08-2019, 09:41 AM
It was hardly his fault he got injured yesterday. Scott allan halved him.

:agree:

It’s not like he was carrying a knock or anything

DTS
25-08-2019, 10:07 AM
It’s getting to a point where we’re as well not playing him. It’s a waste of a sub. Every time he goes down he struggles to get back up was at least two occasions yesterday prior to the eventual injury he was struggling. Added to the fact that he just wasn’t that good either he won’t be that much of a miss next week. Kennedy skipped past him with ease when he was even there to try and challenge him, don’t think he got past Whittaker once

Northernhibee
25-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Blame Hecky. Scott Allan should not have been in that position in the 1st place when he gave that ball away prior to the collision.

Seriously?

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Blame Hecky. Scott Allan should not have been in that position in the 1st place when he gave that ball away prior to the collision.

That is perhaps a bit of a reach????

sleeping giant
25-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Deary me.
Are you an adult ?

wookie70
25-08-2019, 10:57 AM

If Allan had been bothered to get closer to Kennedy in the first place he wouldn't have needed to make the rash challenge that led to SDG getting injured. He was out of position yesterday but he really needed to do better in that passage of play and throughout his time on the pitch. Hopefully he is back central and showing a bit more interest next week

Lago
25-08-2019, 12:12 PM
You won't be popular at all, I made a similar suggestion on a previous post re his new 4 year contract. All I can say is you better duck. 🙄

Bangkok Hibby
25-08-2019, 12:18 PM
You won't be popular at all, I made a similar suggestion on a previous post re his new 4 year contract. All I can say is you better duck. 🙄

I think he and you make a valid point. Its pretty obvious his playing career is coming to an end probably sooner than we all wanted/expected. He might prove me wrong but I doubt there will be another full season in him. The 4 year contract can't be with any expectation of him playing that long.

Smartie
25-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Gray had a very good 2nd half to last season and was fit every week. Off the back of that it would have been madness to release him, especially comparing our results last year with him in the team and out of it.

Yes, he's had a chequered injury record during his time with us. If we'd had the benefit of hindsight and his injury interrupted start to this season we might have done things differently.

I thought Whittaker played well again yesterday when he went on and tbh this isn't a position that overly worries me as James and Whittaker are very able deputies.

The_Horde
25-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Gray had a very good 2nd half to last season and was fit every week. Off the back of that it would have been madness to release him, especially comparing our results last year with him in the team and out of it.

Yes, he's had a chequered injury record during his time with us. If we'd had the benefit of hindsight and his injury interrupted start to this season we might have done things differently.

I thought Whittaker played well again yesterday when he went on and tbh this isn't a position that overly worries me as James and Whittaker are very able deputies.

Whittaker did ok but it was apparent St J thought they could get success against him in behind and on the overload and they did this several times. They also targeted him aerially quite a bit too.

Smartie
25-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Whittaker did ok but it was apparent St J thought they could get success against him in behind and on the overload and they did this several times. They also targeted him aerially quite a bit too.

Rather than that being about Whittaker personally I thought it was about the lack of help he had out there - a feature of what our fullbacks have to endure every week.

we are hibs
25-08-2019, 06:14 PM
I think he and you make a valid point. Its pretty obvious his playing career is coming to an end probably sooner than we all wanted/expected. He might prove me wrong but I doubt there will be another full season in him. The 4 year contract can't be with any expectation of him playing that long.

It isnt. Neither is mcgregor as was made clear at time. They are moving into different non playing positions at the club inside those 4 years. Both are currently doing their coaching badges.

The_Horde
25-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Rather than that being about Whittaker personally I thought it was about the lack of help he had out there - a feature of what our fullbacks have to endure every week.

Probably right as well, but Gray was coping fine.

A Hi-Bee
25-08-2019, 06:51 PM
sad to say but its getting near the time for Gray to hang up his boots he was getting skinned by the St J winger and not for the first game he is but one in a pretty old defence that we should have been working on replacing a couple of years back. When he moves into whatever role at E.R. he will do fine, just not on the park anymore.

1875-Hibernia
25-08-2019, 07:06 PM
We were always going to sign a new RB and it’s unfortunate that both James and Gray have picked up injuries. I’m more than comfortable with Whittaker (who looks fit enough to play a few more seasons) starting every game at RB.

On the flip side of Grays injury though, maybe it’s time for a change of shape? 3 at the back with two wingers covering should provide the defence cover we’ve been lacking.

Lago
25-08-2019, 07:08 PM
It isnt. Neither is mcgregor as was made clear at time. They are moving into different non playing positions at the club inside those 4 years. Both are currently doing their coaching badges.
I think their move into non playing roles may well be expedited based on their ongoing injury problems.

25-08-2019, 07:20 PM

It’s almost as if hibs didn’t give him a four year contract purely in a playing capacity. I wonder if they maybe considered the possibility of Gray being involved with hibs once he has stopped playing.

They literally said this when they signed the contract but still some of the more simpleton hibs fans don’t quite grasp it.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2019, 07:25 PM
It’s almost as if hibs didn’t give him a four year contract purely in a playing capacity. I wonder if they maybe considered the possibility of Gray being involved with hibs once he has stopped playing.

They literally said this when they signed the contract but still some of the more simpleton hibs fans don’t quite grasp it.

What happens if Hibs say they don’t think he’s up to playing any more, but he turns round and says he’s not ready to pack it in? He’s only 31.

hibbyfraelibby
25-08-2019, 07:34 PM

I think is was commented on at the time that the playing days would wind down as they migrated on to player/coaching roles. Wonder if this an attempt at succession planning and in 3/4 years time after of next next to next manager they take the reins?

Tyler Durden
25-08-2019, 08:13 PM
What happens if Hibs say they don’t think he’s up to playing any more, but he turns round and says he’s not ready to pack it in? He’s only 31.

Then we sell him.

jacomo
25-08-2019, 08:17 PM

We play better with a fit SDG in the side. That much is obvious.

Suggesting that we should have released him is mental.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2019, 08:26 PM

How often will we have a fit SDG though?

FWIW, I wouldn’t have released him. But I’ve never been convinced about the four year deal. I know there are other elements to it, I thought it made more sense for Daz at 34 as you’d assume he’ll be ready to move on to the ‘other things’ in the not too distant future.

LaMotta
25-08-2019, 09:30 PM

Worried that people think James looks like an able deputy as well.

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Worried that people think James looks like an able deputy as well.

Why does that worry you? He hasn't had anything other than good performances at right back and has obvious technical ability. Should be a good player for us.

LaMotta
25-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Why does that worry you? He hasn't had anything other than good performances at right back and has obvious technical ability. Should be a good player for us.

He was having a torrid time against St Mirren before his injury, couldn't get close to his man and looked well off the pace.

Gave the ball away a couple of times as well far too easily. Similarly so at Dunfermline.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2019, 11:12 PM
James looks very good technically but he has no where near the drive tempo tenacity or urgency of a fit SDG a requirement for a top flight full back in Scotland
He gets pulled out of position wanders away from his man does not have the pace to recover and is slow in closing his man down
As the OP said he got pulled all over the shop by a very quick and tricky St Mirren left winger
Unlucky to pick up what looked like a bad injury
Needs to up his game

jeffers
25-08-2019, 11:29 PM
James looks very good technically but he has no where near the drive tempo tenacity or urgency of a fit SDG a requirement for a top flight full back in Scotland
He gets pulled out of position wanders away from his man does not have the pace to recover and is slow in closing his man down
As the OP said he got pulled all over the shop by a very quick and tricky St Mirren left winger
Unlucky to pick up what looked like a bad injury
Needs to up his game

Glad it's not just me, looks neat and tidy but way out his depth IMO.

MWHIBBIES
26-08-2019, 08:08 AM
He was having a torrid time against St Mirren before his injury, couldn't get close to his man and looked well off the pace.

Gave the ball away a couple of times as well far too easily. Similarly so at Dunfermline.

He wasn't having a torrid time at all. Gray was having a much more torrid time on Saturday, Kennedy beat him 4/5 times in the first 45.

Gray gave it away softly many times against st Johnstone. Was always going to be tough for the one signed to replace Gray but people just blatantly making stuff up is poor.

James hasn't shown anything to suggest he won't be good for us. Technically he looks a better player than Gray. Played some lovely passes between the lines in the cup ties that Gray never would. Scored an excellent goal too.

JimBHibees
27-08-2019, 09:16 AM
He wasn't having a torrid time at all. Gray was having a much more torrid time on Saturday, Kennedy beat him 4/5 times in the first 45.

Gray gave it away softly many times against st Johnstone. Was always going to be tough for the one signed to replace Gray but people just blatantly making stuff up is poor.

James hasn't shown anything to suggest he won't be good for us. Technically he looks a better player than Gray. Played some lovely passes between the lines in the cup ties that Gray never would. Scored an excellent goal too.

I would have some concerns re James's defensive capability in the little I have seen him. If both fit it would be Gray every day for me, that is a big if though.

LaMotta
27-08-2019, 09:45 PM

He was having a torrid time. Roasted for pace several times in his short time on the pitch and gave the ball away under no pressure. Several people around me were discussing it at half time so it did happen.

Gray is a far better player based on evidence so far. But then you have always disliked Gray for some reason.

You are making stuff up if you think anything so far points to James being a better player.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2019, 10:19 PM
He was having a torrid time. Roasted for pace several times in his short time on the pitch and gave the ball away under no pressure. Several people around me were discussing it at half time so it did happen.

Gray is a far better player based on evidence so far. But then you have always disliked Gray for some reason.

You are making stuff up if you think anything so far points to James being a better player.
Ooft, people were discussing it around you, even more sure it's nonsense then. You find me some footage of him being roasted all these times, can't be too difficult if it happened so often.

I have no dislike for Gray at all, he is a massive legend and I adore what he's done for us. He isn't Cafu like people pretend though.

Plenty points to James having the potential to be a great player for us. Guess he's just not given credit because of the "lower league English dross" agenda on here.

LaMotta
27-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Ooft, people were discussing it around you, even more sure it's nonsense then. You find me some footage of him being roasted all these times, can't be too difficult if it happened so often.

I have no dislike for Gray at all, he is a massive legend and I adore what he's done for us. He isn't Cafu like people pretend though.

Plenty points to James having the potential to be a great player for us. Guess he's just not given credit because of the "lower league English dross" agenda on here.

And because you say it didnt happen that means others are talking nonsense?? :faf: :aok:

I dont care enough to seek out footage from a drab first half against St Mirren. Im sure anyone who wants to can.

Quite frankly for anyone to be claiming that after 30 MINUTES of top flight football in this country there is enough evidence hes going to be a very good player and be better than a guy like David Gray (who has proved year after year his worth to the club) is totally and utterly bonkers.

jeffers
27-08-2019, 10:40 PM

I couldn't care less where he comes from, he just doesn't look great from what I have seen. He's neat enough on the ball but seems to lack any urgency, doesn't look particularly quick nor a great defender. I genuinely don't know what you've seen that makes you think he can ever be a great player for us.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2019, 07:01 AM
And because you say it didnt happen that means others are talking nonsense?? :faf: :aok:

I dont care enough to seek out footage from a drab first half against St Mirren. Im sure anyone who wants to can.

Quite frankly for anyone to be claiming that after 30 MINUTES of top flight football in this country there is enough evidence hes going to be a very good player and be better than a guy like David Gray (who has proved year after year his worth to the club) is totally and utterly bonkers.

Show me where I claimed that? I said he has potential to be a good player for us, based on more than 30 minutes. I said nothing about being better than Gray.

No, it's nonsense because it actually didn't happen.

SMAXXA
28-08-2019, 07:17 AM

I’ve seen enough of him to say he’s going to be a very good player for Hibs

LaMotta
28-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Show me where I claimed that? I said he has potential to be a good player for us, based on more than 30 minutes. I said nothing about being better than Gray.

No, it's nonsense because it actually didn't happen.

Plenty of people on this thread unconvinced by James so far and someone agreeing with me re the St Mirren performance. It is just too early to state whether he will be good for us but he needs some time to be given a chance.

What is nonsense is you claiming Gray gave the ball away softly many times on Saturday. I'm sure though you'll be able to post the video evidence of this though.

LaMotta
28-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I’ve seen enough of him to say he’s going to be a very good player for Hibs

Ive seen enough posts from people after players have had only a few games for us claiming the likes of Zarabi, Zoubir, Pa Kujabi, Richie Towell and James Collins would be good players for us so forgive me If I wait for a wee bit more evidence.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Ive seen enough posts from people after players have had only a few games for us claiming the likes of Zarabi, Zoubir, Pa Kujabi, Richie Towell and James Collins would be good players for us so forgive me If I wait for a wee bit more evidence.
I am with you on this one

Good on the ball but lacks urgency and pace and easily pulled out of position

Perhaps it’s his lackadaisical style

Happy to be proved wrong

Fingers crossed

Smartie
28-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Happy to be proved wrong

Fingers crossed

I think people would be more convinced by him if he added a bit of chest thumping to his game.

I've certainly been quietly impressed by him. I've not seen enough to say I'm 100% convinced but I've certainly seen enough to say that I don't think he's hopeless and has the potential to make his mark.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 09:36 AM
I think people would be more convinced by him if he added a bit of chest thumping to his game.

I've certainly been quietly impressed by him. I've not seen enough to say I'm 100% convinced but I've certainly seen enough to say that I don't think he's hopeless and has the potential to make his mark.

Agree

Needs to up his game

In fairness took his goal well and yet to be on a losing side

Onwards and upwards

Onceinawhile
28-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Happy to be proved wrong

Fingers crossed

From the small amount of time in the St Mirren game, that's what I thought as well. Was quite slow to get out to his man and close down the cross.

However, after watching the St Johnstone game as well, I think it might be our tactics, because the full backs didn't seem to want to get out to their man quickly at all, rather letting them in towards the box before stepping out. Seems a dangerous game to me.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 10:17 AM
From the small amount of time in the St Mirren game, that's what I thought as well. Was quite slow to get out to his man and close down the cross.

However, after watching the St Johnstone game as well, I think it might be our tactics, because the full backs didn't seem to want to get out to their man quickly at all, rather letting them in towards the box before stepping out. Seems a dangerous game to me.

See my post #33

Motherwell away on Saturday will be no walk in the park

Let’s see what happens

eastcoasthibby
28-08-2019, 06:13 PM
We were always going to sign a new RB and it’s unfortunate that both James and Gray have picked up injuries. I’m more than comfortable with Whittaker (who looks fit enough to play a few more seasons) starting every game at RB.

On the flip side of Grays injury though, maybe it’s time for a change of shape? 3 at the back with two wingers covering should provide the defence cover we’ve been lacking.

Either Gray or Whittaker will get targeted and struggle in most games against teams who have a half decent wide player with a bit of pace ...not just because of their lack of pace but cos we don't have a wide midfielder that gives either of our full backs any protection, Boyle did it a bit and McGinn did but we haven't brought in any wide player that does a half decent defensive job ..Heckingbottom has done the same as Lennon and only thought about players who are offensive and as such we are getting done over far too easily by teams when they decide to have a go at us further up the park ....again it's our lack of working and tackling midfielders that's letting us down ..Gray and James injuries are just adding to the problem ...