PDA

View Full Version : Who drops out for Mallberg?

Carheenlea
24-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing what Mallberg can offer to our side, and with a three year deal he’s not being brought in to be a bit player, so who will be dropping out?

we are hibs
24-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Mallan.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Mallan no question

Speedway
24-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Mallan

Sammy7nil
On today's performance anyone.

SMAXXA
Scott Allan 🙈

makaveli1875
24-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Vela

Slim Shady
24-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing what Mallberg can offer to our side, and with a three year deal he’s not being brought in to be a bit player, so who will be dropping out?

Depends on when the manager has had the opportunity to view his talents. After all he isn’t the holding midfielder that he asked George Craig and Mathie to get..............

Nicho87
24-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Vela/Mallan/Slivka

if he is any better

BlackSheep
24-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Has to be Mallan. Sorry to say it as I think he has talent, but he has been anonymous this season and needs a few games getting splinters to reignite his effort

Speedway
Vela/Mallan/Slivka

if he is any better

Slivka - Hallburg - Allan

As the new midfield.

SMAXXA
I think we may sell slivka before the end of the window

Carheenlea
Scott Allan 🙈

That is my big fear..

Speedway
24-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Hopefully we’ll sell the manager first.

SMAXXA
24-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Hopefully we’ll sell the manager first.

😂😂😂😂

Nicho87
24-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Did juventus put a buy back clause on

hibee_girl
24-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Has to be Mallan

PH91
24-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Surprised at how many people rate vela behind slivka or mallan as one of the two deeper midfielders. He is still getting up to speed but i think he is better in that role than both. We looked far worse once he moved further forward today.

Vela Hallberg with Allan in front for me.

I hope Hallberg has a bit of energy and tenacity about him.

Tyler Durden
24-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Mallan and Slivka have been equally bad IMO but I’m more worried by Vela. Really struggling to see what his strengths are so far. Looks very average to me and doesn’t show any great desire to get on the ball.

We could do worse than go 3-5-2 given the lack of bite and energy in our midfield options.

Ronniekirk
24-08-2019, 09:52 PM

These longer term deals are now worrying me I just hope he is better than some of the players already brought that justifies that length of contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
24-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Who is Mallberg?

:greengrin

IberianHibernian
24-08-2019, 09:59 PM
These longer term deals are now worrying me I just hope he is better than some of the players already brought that justifies that length of contract

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI think the same and was surprised to not read more comments saying the same . Doesn`t seem to have done much to justify such a long contract . I`m guessing club see enough potential in hope he can be sold for a big fee in next 2 years .

matty_f
24-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Drop Mallan.

Franck Stanton
24-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Drop Mallan.

Most definitely. Been an empty jersey so far this season

overdrive
24-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Mallan.

Bring Slivka in for Vela.

madhatter
24-08-2019, 10:11 PM
100% Mallan. Vela was only midfielder tackling today and he’s getting up to speed. I’m sure he’ll come good. Allan needs to be in there.

Thing I don’t understand is why Hecky does not try 352 with Porteous, Jackson and Hanlon in defence and Gray/James and Stevenson as wingbacks? It means we can get 3 midfielders in the middle and 2 strikers while not sacrificing width.

The 90+2
24-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Kamberi.

SMAXXA
24-08-2019, 10:21 PM
100% Mallan. Vela was only midfielder tackling today and he’s getting up to speed. I’m sure he’ll come good. Allan needs to be in there.

Thing I don’t understand is why Hecky does not try 352 with Porteous, Jackson and Hanlon in defence and Gray/James and Stevenson as wingbacks? It means we can get 3 midfielders in the middle and 2 strikers while not sacrificing width.

I think that’s a massive part of our problems we don’t get our fullbacks high enough up the park often enough. When we used to have lewis and SDG in full flow we were a far different team, especially playing the formation he seems to want.

Iggy Pope
24-08-2019, 10:25 PM
I think that’s a massive part of our problems we don’t get our fullbacks high enough up the park often enough. When we used to have lewis and SDG in full flow we were a far different team, especially playing the formation he seems to want.

They’re not fit enough to bomb high up the park. I don’t think either of them should be playing, much as I adore them.

Radium
24-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Does he have his badges?

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
24-08-2019, 10:30 PM
They’re not fit enough to bomb high up the park. I don’t think either of them should be playing, much as I adore them.

Agree which is the problem or one of them why were are less effective

B.H.F.C
24-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Who’s to say anybody drops out for him? Based on the rest of his signings, he might no be very good.

hibsbollah
24-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Mallan

Iggy Pope
24-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Agree which is the problem or one of them why were are less effective

Run that by me again :greengrin

SMAXXA
24-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Run that by me again :greengrin

😂 mean it’s one of our issues one of a few 😉

Chefki Kuqi
24-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Mallan I reckon!

GORDONSMITH7
24-08-2019, 10:41 PM
As I have never heard about this superstar like most of the duds Hecky has signed so far, baited breath.

BIG G

Criswell
25-08-2019, 01:11 AM
I don't like criticising individual players but I have to pick out Vela. He looked totally lost, a compete passenger who contributed absolutely zero. He came with a decent pedigree which made it even more disappointing. Ship up or Ship out!

SideBurns
25-08-2019, 01:39 AM
He has to be better than Mallan, or else it's another waste of a wage. I'd like to think he's better than Vela too, since his contribution isn't immediately obvious.

Forza Fred
25-08-2019, 01:44 AM
I just get the feeling that Scott Allan does not suit his footballing philosophy, and he leans more towards ‘activity’ than he does to ‘artistry’

Hi Heid Yin
25-08-2019, 02:44 AM

Sadly, Slivka has brought little to our club and has remained mostly anonymous, with the odd decent game here and there.
He has failed to cement a regular start under different managers, which says it all.
His wages could be put to better use.

CloudSquall
25-08-2019, 05:36 AM
For the troll factor Allan :greengrin

I'm going to say Vela, for all his faults Mallan keeps popping up with the assists.

hibsquaker
25-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Vela is like playing with ten me. Lost little boy out of his depth.

GreenCastle
25-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Vela - I want him to do well but compare to Omeonga and he’s miles apart.

Mallan and Allan at least can provide goals and assists.

But not sure they can play together.

Either way this guy better be some player or another player on a comfortable 3 year deal.

coldingham hibs
25-08-2019, 07:10 AM
I think he will be played as a full back so possibly Gray or Stevenson, maybe even a centre back 🤔.

Hibee Mac
25-08-2019, 08:21 AM
No question it's Mallan. Then we can start playing with 11 men on the park again.

BlackSheep
25-08-2019, 08:29 AM
For the troll factor Allan :greengrin

I'm going to say Vela, for all his faults Mallan keeps popping up with the assists.

Allan will more than outweigh Mallan for assists this year, no doubt. His corners and free kicks haven’t been great so far either so it’s time he sat out a few games I think.

Don’t get me wrong I want to see him do well, but recently he hasn’t impressed. Yes I know his free kick set up yesterday’s first goal but that’s pretty much all we saw from him barring his scuffed cross field pass to Gray and his scuffed free kick effort that hit the wall.

Eyrie
25-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Vela has the better pedigree, but I thought Mallan actually tried better yesterday.

At one point in the second half Vela gave Mallan a hospital ball and then stood there as Mallan ran back in an attempt to stop their break.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2019, 11:42 AM
It better be Mallan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bringbackbenny
25-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Has to be Mallan, why is he undroppable?

His goal threat has disappeared, can't tackle and is slow. Can still pick a good pass but a passenger this season. Spell in the bench and dev team and let's see if he's hungry enough to work back and earn a starting place.

A luxury at present, if we were playing American Football could bring him on for the set pieces ;)

SMAXXA
25-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Feels like we now have a load of midfielders but little balance and no sure he knows who’s best. Feel for the new guy coming in he’s going to have to be really good from the off or will be branded another flop

WhileTheChief..
25-08-2019, 11:54 AM
I guess we’re all assuming he’s better than what we’ve got if someone has to drop out.

I’m not holding my breath.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2019, 11:57 AM
It should be Mallan but a part of me thinks it will be Allan.

For whatever reason Heckingbottom can't get the best from him and can't work him into the side.

bawheid
25-08-2019, 11:59 AM

For whatever reason Heckingbottom can't get the best from him and can't work him into the side.

Don’t think Allan has been the issue. He’s been scoring and assisting. He needs more dig around him so that he can just play his game.

hibeesteve
25-08-2019, 12:03 PM
I've said this before.

Mallan and Allan can't play in the same team. If you play Allan, which you should because he's the most creative player, then you need runners behind him. For me Mallan has no athleticism or mobility. He get's away with a hell of a lot with our support because he can strike a ball and hit a free kick. He should be Allan's replacement when he's not available.

I genuinely think I've seen enough in Vela to think he can play the defensive midfield role and get stuck in, keeping it simple and the ball moving to more creative players. He's had some dodgy moments but these seem to stem from when he's on the ball trying to force something.

Heckingbottom appears to want his centre midfielders to be interchangeable and that doesn't look like it's working for the reasons above, I hope he reaches the same conclusions.

I actually think we've got a decent enough squad. We have no idea what Mallberg is like but on the face of it but Mallan has to be dropped for me if Mallberg has legs.

Teams like St Johnstone run over the top of us because they have honest hard working players who get stuck in. They're central midfielders aren't as talented as Mallan/Allan etc but they run over the top of us because they're fit and they play simple football/know they're roles.

Midfield forward for me has to be,

Vela (DM)

Allan/Mallan Mallberg/Slivka/Mallan

Horgan/Newell Middleton/Newell

Kamberi/Doidge

I don't think anyone can look at those players and say that on paper they aren't good enough.

jeffers
25-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Don’t think Allan has been the issue. He’s been scoring and assisting. He needs more dig around him so that he can just play his game.

Of course he isn’t the issue, he’s been our best midfielder this season, we should be building our midfield around him, not isolating him out on the right.

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Mallan and Allan can't play in the same team. If you play Allan, which you should because he's the most creative player, then you need runners behind him. For me Mallan has no athleticism or mobility. He get's away with a hell of a lot with our support because he can strike a ball and hit a free kick. He should be Allan's replacement when he's not available.

Bit in bold is exactly where I'm at.
I actually like Mallan but he's fighting for the same place as Allan and Allan is simply a better player.

Mallan is never a Centre Mid.
His good attributes - Free kicks, shooting from distance, corners and key passes - are nice-to-haves for a CM but not part of the core skill set for that position.
If you took those attributes out (valuable as they are) you would never entertain playing him as a CM.

Consequently, it follows that the manager is shoehorning him in to a role he's not suited for.

hibeesteve
25-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Bit in bold is exactly where I'm at.
I actually like Mallan but he's fighting for the same place as Allan and Allan is simply a better player.

Mallan is never a Centre Mid.
His good attributes - Free kicks, shooting from distance, corners and key passes - are nice-to-haves for a CM but not part of the core skill set for that position.
If you took those attributes out (valuable as they are) you would never entertain playing him as a CM.

Consequently, it follows that the manager is shoehorning him in to a role he's not suited for.

AMEN!!

I got slaughtered for criticising Mallan at the end of last season for exactly the same reasons. He's without doubt a talented player but he's like a Subbuteo player. If the game was played without the need for running he'd be playing for Real Madrid.

People seem to always bring up John McGinn when Mallan get's criticism, "We didn't know how lucky we were with McGinn", "It's not fair comparing Mallan to McGinn" etc. We won't get another McGinn with all his attributes anytime soon so we need to spread his attributes amongst the midfield, maybe over 2 players. Allan has his creativity and another (Mallberg/Slivka) has his legs. Mallan, for me, just doesn't do enough. He should be Allan's sub replacement.

The strange thing for me is that Heckingbottom seemed to have sussed out the fact Mallan wasn't mobile enough when he was at Barnsley, he never got a look in. I can only hope that he does the same here.

For the Mallan diehards, I don't hate him as a player, he just doesn't appear to have a place in this team.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2019, 12:36 PM
I've never been a great fan of Mallan, but i was completely taken in with his early goalscoring form, that when dissected is hardly prolific.

He is a virtual passenger most games, other than passing it wide to the full backs or back to the defenders.

He does sometimes do something absolutely brilliant, but they are very few and way to far apart for him to remain in the team.

Scott Allan should play and if this new guy is any good, then its only Mallan who i can see dropping out for him.

We need this new guy to be good, as this current midfield in any of its permutations is unbalanced, weak and very little quality apart from Allan going forward.

Well done Hecky for assembling this quality team. :rolleyes:

Real Emerald
25-08-2019, 12:41 PM
No one really knows if he’ll improve things yet, hopefully he does. Will he be a Swede amongst turnips or just another turnip, we will see? 😊

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Allan has more goals this season than both his previous spells. Hecky is getting alot from him, bar yesterday.

Michael
25-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Never realised he's a Swedish international. Can't be that bad then.

As long as Allan plays in his best position, I don't think it matters who drops at this point. No one else is playing well.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Mallan :bye:

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Never realised he's a Swedish international. Can't be that bad then.

As long as Allan plays in his best position, I don't think it matters who drops at this point. No one else is playing well.

I actually think Vela will turn out to be good if we were to actually see sense and not play him as the only actual CM.
I think even some genuinely great CM players would struggle to look good running the midfield on their own.

JohnMcM
25-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Does anyone remember Pat Quinn?

Now, there was a midfield general. :greengrin

Hopefully Vela and "Neeps" can get this midfield sorted between them.

:flag:

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Does anyone remember Pat Quinn?

Now, there was a midfield general. :greengrin

Hopefully Vela and "Neeps" can get this midfield sorted between them.

:flag:

If "Neeps" doesn't stick as a nickname I'll be gutted.

LaMotta
25-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Mallan and Slivka have been equally bad IMO but I’m more worried by Vela. Really struggling to see what his strengths are so far. Looks very average to me and doesn’t show any great desire to get on the ball.

We could do worse than go 3-5-2 given the lack of bite and energy in our midfield options.

Agreed. Vela the worst of the bunch based on evidence so far.

Weegreenman
25-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Mallan :agree:

hibbyfraelibby
25-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Slivka - Hallburg - Allan

As the new midfield.

I quite like that

eastcoasthibby
25-08-2019, 05:35 PM
I just get the feeling that Scott Allan does not suit his footballing philosophy, and he leans more towards ‘activity’ than he does to ‘artistry’

Surely leans towards activity !!! Mallan ? We can get away with having one player not digging and working but we hve 3 or 4 ..that one for me will always be Allan and even the played in the right position you get a shift out of him and good outcomes .. Mallan has become a luxury that plays if Allan isn't or is his sub replacement ..!

eastcoasthibby
25-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Agreed. Vela the worst of the bunch based on evidence so far.

Really ....??? He is ploughing a thankless role in that current midfield area ...give him players that work beside him ..

H18 SFR
25-08-2019, 05:42 PM
I think he will drop Allan and I'm not trying to be a tool.

SMAXXA
25-08-2019, 05:56 PM
I actually think Middleton and Doidge will drop out for him and Horgan coming in. If he drops Allan that would be him saying I’ve got the biggest balls at this club and won’t be dictated to, only rational I could see in that scenario fitness aside.

GreenCastle
25-08-2019, 06:01 PM
I've said this before.

I genuinely think I've seen enough in Vela to think he can play the defensive midfield role and get stuck in, keeping it simple and the ball moving to more creative players. He's had some dodgy moments but these seem to stem from when he's on the ball trying to force something.

Heckingbottom appears to want his centre midfielders to be interchangeable and that doesn't look like it's working for the reasons above, I hope he reaches the same conclusions.

I actually think we've got a decent enough squad. We have no idea what Mallberg is like but on the face of it but Mallan has to be dropped for me if Mallberg has legs.

Teams like St Johnstone run over the top of us because they have honest hard working players who get stuck in. They're central midfielders aren't as talented as Mallan/Allan etc but they run over the top of us because they're fit and they play simple football/know they're roles.

Midfield forward for me has to be,

Vela (DM)

Allan/Mallan Mallberg/Slivka/Mallan

Horgan/Newell Middleton/Newell

Kamberi/Doidge

I don't think anyone can look at those players and say that on paper they aren't good enough.

I disagree about Vela - he is 100% not a defensive midfielder.

That has been showing in the games he’s been put there.

We don’t have one and you won’t get the best out of him playing him there.

This rotation of the 3 isn’t working either and our players aren’t good enough to do it.

Springbank
25-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Mallan

Mid 3 of Vela Allan & the new lad

Paisley Hibby
25-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Strangely, for someone leaning towards 'activity' he seems to have us playing in slow motion?

Paisley Hibby
25-08-2019, 06:34 PM
I quite like that

I'd go for this line up

Rocky

Jackson, Porteous, Hanlon

Middleton Vela Mallberg Stevenson

Allan

Doige Kamberi

A Hi-Bee
25-08-2019, 06:37 PM
If "Neeps" doesn't stick as a nickname I'll be gutted.

Just hope he disnie turn out to be a turnip, lot of assumptions that he will go straight into Hibs mid-field, if so then our luxury player Mallen has to drop out, we just cant afford any more passengers in this team.

A Hi-Bee
25-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Strangely, for someone leaning towards 'activity' he seems to have us playing in slow motion?

Cause one of the wheels has dropped off his bus.

Tyler Durden
25-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Really ....??? He is ploughing a thankless role in that current midfield area ...give him players that work beside him ..

I’m hoping he just needs some games to get up to speed but on the evidence so far Vela looks poor.

Ploughing a lone furrow...... he didn’t really show any desire to get on the ball and make something happen. Just isn’t showing anything IMO. Not sure what Hecky sees to put Vela in that more advanced role after the subs but he looked totally lost.

Coco Bryce
26-08-2019, 06:39 AM
Mallan 100%

Complete waste of space at the moment.

wookie70
26-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Surely leans towards activity !!! Mallan ? We can get away with having one player not digging and working but we hve 3 or 4 ..that one for me will always be Allan and even the played in the right position you get a shift out of him and good outcomes .. Mallan has become a luxury that plays if Allan isn't or is his sub replacement ..!

I like Mallan but as you say he is the type of player you can only have one of in a team. Start Allan in the centre as he too has added goals to his game and have Mallan as a sub ready to come on for Allan or maybe with Allan if we need to gamble. I'm nowhere near as big a fan as most of Scottie and a bigger fan of Mallan than many but Allan has looked better this year and deserves the nod. Given both strikers have now got goals and Kamberi has been our best player by a margin we can afford to have a more workmanlike midfield rather than crowbarring in too many ball players. I thought Middleton worked hard on Saturday and if Boyle was available that would give you creativity and cover out wide. Scottie behind Kamberi and then Vela, Slivka and Neeps in the middle. That team would have legs and creativity. In lieu of Boyle Horgan is as close as we have. Still a few weeks away from that as Neeps will need to get fit.

BoomtownHibees
26-08-2019, 08:40 AM
I'd go for this line up

Rocky

Jackson, Porteous, Hanlon

Middleton Vela Mallberg Stevenson

Allan

Doige Kamberi

So you would play Middleton, a left winger, as a right wing back?? Is that you Hecky?

WestStandWillie
26-08-2019, 11:42 AM
I think he will drop Allan and I'm not trying to be a tool.

If he does then he should be sacked immediately. Punt him in a BEEP BEEP and be done with it.

SunshineOnLeith
26-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Should be Vela but there's no chance of Heckingbottom dropping 'his' main midfield signing, even if he is huddy.

Mallan just can't play the deep role he's being asked to. I thought Heckingbottom had figured that out when he moved him forward a bit last season and he started contributing, after months of Lennon trying and failing to play him in McGeough's old position. But apparently not.

Slivka and new boy behind Allan would be the obvious selection, so I'm sure he'll drop Middleton instead and play the newbie on the left wing.

The Harp Awakes
26-08-2019, 12:32 PM

I suspect you're right. Hecky is a modern day coach. Into sports science, shows little or no emotion, emmerses himself in football psychology and thinks that players should play tactically and track back constantly.

Scott Allan doesn't fit into that mould. He is a genius, a one off and can turn a game in an instant but I'm sure Hecky will see him as a luxury player.

I'm not sure Hecky's football style is compatible with what Hibs fans want to see and is increasingly looking like a bad fit for the club. He may well see Mallberg replacing Allan or at least being an alternative to Allan.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 12:45 PM

My gut feeling on leaving the ground on Saturday was that Hecky was trying to move Scott Allan sideways and then out the door

Not his signing not his cup of tea but a fans favourite

I might be wrong

If I am not it is Heckys funeral

Keith_M
26-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Mallan.

Sadly, yes.

I like Mallan and he was contributing a lot when he first arrived but he sadly seems off the boil.

AlbertK86
26-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Mallan.

Bring Slivka in for Vela.

In my eyes Slivka was poor when he came on Saturday.

Gave ball away and just trotted back lethargically.

Totally let O’Halleran waltz past him for their first goal and was caught on the ball in dangerous areas to often.

I’ve got a feeling once all fit Hecky will go with his two signings Vela and Hallberg with Mallan or Allan.

Should be Allan and if he starts leaving him out regularly he will be signing his P45.

I’d imagine Scotty got a decent signing on wedge and will be one of our top earners so this will not sit well with the board and defo not the fans.

I was always worried about the assists and goals of Mallan being lost if he was dropped but the early season indications are that IF he plays Scotty Allan in the advanced CM he can now score as well as assist.

Obviously not seen Hallberg yet and no youtube should be viewed with caution but if he is as good as he looks and has the pedigree suggested I’d like to see him in a midfield 3 with Allan and either Vela or Mallan dependant on who we are playing.

Think Vela is still getting back up to speed so hopefully he will get better.

Hecky might surprise us all and go with a midfield 3 of Hallberg, Vela and Newell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahibby
26-08-2019, 07:24 PM
In my eyes Slivka was poor when he came on Saturday.

Gave ball away and just trotted back lethargically.

Totally let O’Halleran waltz past him for their first goal and was caught on the ball in dangerous areas to often.

I’ve got a feeling once all fit Hecky will go with his two signings Vela and Hallberg with Mallan or Allan.

Should be Allan and if he starts leaving him out regularly he will be signing his P45.

I’d imagine Scotty got a decent signing on wedge and will be one of our top earners so this will not sit well with the board and defo not the fans.

I was always worried about the assists and goals of Mallan being lost if he was dropped but the early season indications are that IF he plays Scotty Allan in the advanced CM he can now score as well as assist.

Obviously not seen Hallberg yet and no youtube should be viewed with caution but if he is as good as he looks and has the pedigree suggested I’d like to see him in a midfield 3 with Allan and either Vela or Mallan dependant on who we are playing.

Think Vela is still getting back up to speed so hopefully he will get better.

Hecky might surprise us all and go with a midfield 3 of Hallberg, Vela and Newell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hibs r truly a rubics cube. We could go three at the back but all midfielders all 100 of them should see game time. We r an attacking side with no real DM. We lost 3 points bcoscwe lost midfield that needs sorted

PISTOL1875
26-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Vela will come good when he's 100% up to speed with the pace of the game.. He's the only one who actually puts a tackle in from our midfielders and playing him in the number 6 role is the best position for him..

Slivika has so many chances and as posted earlier , he's never managed to cement a place consistently..

Mallan has to be the one to drop out. he's trwaded water for so long now and he needs to be taken out..

Smartie
26-08-2019, 09:05 PM
I thought Mallan and Slivka were atrocious on Saturday. Ok, Mallan was alright for half an hour but utter mince in the second half.

In the past I've stuck up for Slivka but never really been convinced by Mallan.

If we have any designs on finishing in the top half, neither of them should be starting games.

Allan is excellent but needs the right shape of team to get the best out of him. Vela might be decent, he's shown flashes but the jury is out. The new guy might be good.

I've just seen Mallsn especially be part of far too many abject team midfield performances to be prepared to take any more, and Slivka's inconsistency means he's invisible at best or terrible at worst far too often.

These 2 need punted imo.

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Mr anonymous 👍

The Wireless
26-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Vela sitting mid, Mallberg link & Allan attacking mid off the striker. :flag:

jacomo
26-08-2019, 09:53 PM
I thought Mallan and Slivka were atrocious on Saturday. Ok, Mallan was alright for half an hour but utter mince in the second half.

In the past I've stuck up for Slivka but never really been convinced by Mallan.

If we have any designs on finishing in the top half, neither of them should be starting games.

Allan is excellent but needs the right shape of team to get the best out of him. Vela might be decent, he's shown flashes but the jury is out. The new guy might be good.

I've just seen Mallsn especially be part of far too many abject team midfield performances to be prepared to take any more, and Slivka's inconsistency means he's invisible at best or terrible at worst far too often.

These 2 need punted imo.

Unfortunately Slivka fluffed another chance to prove his worth on Saturday. He just looked like a headless chicken to me.

Mallan provides goals and assists but quite clearly the balance in midfield is all wrong right now.

It’s really hard for me to work out if Vela is a good player or not right now because he just looks over run at times.

Hopefully the new guy provides some much needed control in midfield.

The Wireless
26-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Vela sitting mid, Mallberg link & Allan attacking mid off the striker. :flag:

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately Slivka fluffed another chance to prove his worth on Saturday. He just looked like a headless chicken to me.

Mallan provides goals and assists but quite clearly the balance in midfield is all wrong right now.

It’s really hard for me to work out if Vela is a good player or not right now because he just looks over run at times.

Hopefully the new guy provides some much needed control in midfield.

Bit in bold is spot on.
We're playing one proper Centre midfielder with 5 players picked almost exclusively for their attacking flair.
He's on a hiding to nothing.

No idea if Vela is decent but he needs support.
On the rare occasions we've been on top he looks like he can hack that Barry Ferguson role (sorry) of being always available to take and recycle the ball.

Hibee Mac
26-08-2019, 10:22 PM
I suspect you're right. Hecky is a modern day coach. Into sports science, shows little or no emotion, emmerses himself in football psychology and thinks that players should play tactically and track back constantly.

Scott Allan doesn't fit into that mould. He is a genius, a one off and can turn a game in an instant but I'm sure Hecky will see him as a luxury player.

I'm not sure Hecky's football style is compatible with what Hibs fans want to see and is increasingly looking like a bad fit for the club. He may well see Mallberg replacing Allan or at least being an alternative to Allan.

I agree RE your comments on Hecky preffering sport science approach etc.

What confuses the hell out of me is why he then persists on playing Mallan - the laziest, gutless midfielder we have who ticks absolutely zero of the boxes you would expect Hecky to want. Very strange.

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2019, 10:28 PM
I agree RE your comments on Hecky preffering sport science approach etc.

What confuses the hell out of me is why he then persists on playing Mallan - the laziest, gutless midfielder we have who ticks absolutely zero of the boxes you would expect Hecky to want. Very strange.

That's classless.

I think Mallan should be dropped from the current team so in agreement there but you're taking attributes
he doesn't have as a player and making an unnecessary insult of them.

Mallan is not strong defensively and not a particularly mobile player - no arguments there.
That doesn't necessarily equate to gutless and lazy. That's judgemental rather than an assessment.

Hibee Mac
26-08-2019, 10:37 PM
That's classless.

I think Mallan should be dropped from the current team so in agreement there but you're taking attributes
he doesn't have as a player and making an unnecessary insult of them.

Mallan is not strong defensively and not a particularly mobile player - no arguments there.
That doesn't necessarily equate to gutless and lazy. That's judgemental rather than an assessment.

Call it what you want mate I've made my assessment of him after watching his performances for over a year where he does not track runners (lazy) and disappears in midfield or is scared to stick a foot in when required (gutless).

Yes they are harsh words and some like yourself will see it as over the top but it's my honest opinion as I am now sick of watching him play a central role in our mediocre at best midfield.

basehibby
26-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Malberg will be adding to a pool of midfielders who will have to compete with each other for a starting place - so it will be horses for courses to a certain extent. I'm hoping his arrival will raise the bar a little though because that's what we need as most of the new arrivals this summer have looked like squad players rather than certain starters - and from his highlights tape he looks like he can! But we all know how deceptive a highlights reel can be so I'll watch in eager and hopeful fascination to see if he cuts the mustard in the Green and White.

Assuming he's good enough to force himself into the reckoning as a first pick then the question is really who do you play with him and Scotty Allan in the midfield? On current form I would say Middleton along with a toss up between Vela and Mallan.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Our midfield get over run because this manager has brought in players who have given us the most unbalanced side i have seen in years, they provide little cover for the back 4, and is no surprise they are getting injured when they are having to put their bodies on the line much more that they should.

The Leith Dutch
27-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Call it what you want mate I've made my assessment of him after watching his performances for over a year where he does not track runners (lazy) and disappears in midfield or is scared to stick a foot in when required (gutless).

Yes they are harsh words and some like yourself will see it as over the top but it's my honest opinion as I am now sick of watching him play a central role in our mediocre at best midfield.

Fair do's - each to their own opinion.

I guess my point would be that he's an attacking mid and we didn't (or at least shouldn't) have signed him to track runners and make tackles.
In much the same way I'd rather sign a striker who scored goals but didn't close down the opposition defenders rather than a good worker up front with a poor scoring record.

Ultimately for me the problem is that you can't play Mallan and Allan in the same team and both are, I suspect, on the kind of wage we shouldn't be playing a bench player.

Alex Trager
27-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Kamberi.

Rocky...

7heaven
27-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Our midfield get over run because this manager has brought in players who have given us the most unbalanced side i have seen in years, they provide little cover for the back 4, and is no surprise they are getting injured when they are having to put their bodies on the line much more that they should.

Totally agree. We have no one in midfield who can tackle. Lost count how many 50/50 balls we had on on Saturday and lost most of them. I fear for us this season.

Hibee Mac
27-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Fair do's - each to their own opinion.

I guess my point would be that he's an attacking mid and we didn't (or at least shouldn't) have signed him to track runners and make tackles.
In much the same way I'd rather sign a striker who scored goals but didn't close down the opposition defenders rather than a good worker up front with a poor scoring record.

Ultimately for me the problem is that you can't play Mallan and Allan in the same team and both are, I suspect, on the kind of wage we shouldn't be playing a bench player.

100% agree with your final bit, which to me says we should really be looking to offload Mallan as Allan is far and away the better number 10.

Trouble is there's still much work to do as we would still be short of some proper centre mids/box to box style players to battle around him.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2019, 05:40 PM
100% agree with your final bit, which to me says we should really be looking to offload Mallan as Allan is far and away the better number 10.

Trouble is there's still much work to do as we would still be short of some proper centre mids/box to box style players to battle around him.

3 years left on his contract, hard to shift

Hibee Mac
27-08-2019, 06:26 PM
3 years left on his contract, hard to shift

Wow, didn't realise he had that much longer...

bigswissstriker
27-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Who is Mallberg?

:greengrin

A mellberg/mallan hybrid