PDA

View Full Version : The sieve

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Currently the defence and the lack of cover from midfield is a massive problem. We look so vulnerable when attacked: positionally poor and desperately lacking pace. If Hecky wants to survive into the medium term, he needs to improve us defensively. I think we'll be fine in attack, but we will be constantly up against it, if we keep leaking goals. Other teams know our vulnerability at the back and will set up to exploit it. Mair holes than a tramp's vest at the back.

We've now made nine signings yet still have a defence which is nowhere near good enough. It looks like Hecky has already lost the trust of a good number of fans; he needs to address this quickly.

BlackSheep
24-08-2019, 08:01 PM
We haven’t played the same starting defence 2 games on the trot... a good defence starts with knowing what your defensive colleagues are going to do before they do it... it’s all about cohesion. Ours doesn’t look like they even know each others’ names at times right now!

Smartie
24-08-2019, 08:15 PM
I didn't think the defence was all that bad. They were under massive pressure for the whole of the second half and almost got through it. Along the way there were some incredible blocks, interceptions and tackles.

They simply shouldn't be expected to be under that level of sustained pressure at home to St Johnstone. The second half midfield performance was atrocious, which might have been understandable had we played the entire half with the open midfield we had played the first half with, but for it to continue after we'd shored it up as best as we could was inexcusable.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. They're pretty big problems right enough.

Hibernia&Alba
24-08-2019, 08:21 PM
I didn't think the defence was all that bad. They were under massive pressure for the whole of the second half and almost got through it. Along the way there were some incredible blocks, interceptions and tackles.

They simply shouldn't be expected to be under that level of sustained pressure at home to St Johnstone. The second half midfield performance was atrocious, which might have been understandable had we played the entire half with the open midfield we had played the first half with, but for it to continue after we'd shored it up as best as we could was inexcusable.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. They're pretty big problems right enough.

Yep, the lack of cover from midfield is astonishing. There just doesn't seem to be any structure when we don't have the ball. Where the hell is the pressing game Hecky promised? We don't defend as a team at all!

Six against the Rangers
Three against Morton
Two against St Johnstone

And it could have been more in all those games. No team can continue like that.

Weegreenman
24-08-2019, 08:23 PM
I think we need to work on our ball retention. Passing the ball to another player in green seems to be a real problem, as is retaining the ball for more than 2 or 3 passes. Right eye bleeding stuff today. It can only improve you’d have thought!

Borderhibbie76
24-08-2019, 08:24 PM
The big issue is the midfield not so much the back 4 imo although Hanlon has been awful so far this season...and I'm a huge fan of his but he needs dropped. Lewy doesnt look fit to me neither.

But the midfield is honking. Mallan is a total passenger who does the square root of sweet FA week in, week out yet keeps his place. He cant tackle, hes stopped shooting from distance and has lost the ability to take a free kick. He makes mistakes and blames everyone else around him bar himself.

Vela not impressed at all so far - not actually sure what hes supposed to do but whatever it is hes not doing it.

Slivka - games pass him by and he made no impact when he came on again today

Not sure what the answer is to be honest...I hope the new Swede is some player coz we badly need him to be.

And for heavens sake Hecky...drop Mallan for next week

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bobby's Cinema
24-08-2019, 08:30 PM
If you are going to invite that much pressure on to yourself whenever you take a lead, no matter what stage in the game, you will get what you deserve.

It was optimised for me in the first half when Middleton had the ball in the corner up the pitch at 1-0 with two men round him, and not another hibs jersey came within 40 yards to help him.

This at 1-0 and before half time. Obviously been told to play the percentages. But PH has taken this to such an extent that it had strangled all life out of us going forward and we just go into our shell.

Hate to say it but the manager undoubtably hindering us at the moment. Not going to last with this system and mentality.

hibeerealist
24-08-2019, 08:46 PM
The big issue is the midfield not so much the back 4 imo although Hanlon has been awful so far this season...and I'm a huge fan of his but he needs dropped. Lewy doesnt look fit to me neither.

But the midfield is honking. Mallan is a total passenger who does the square root of sweet FA week in, week out yet keeps his place. He cant tackle, hes stopped shooting from distance and has lost the ability to take a free kick. He makes mistakes and blames everyone else around him bar himself.

Vela not impressed at all so far - not actually sure what hes supposed to do but whatever it is hes not doing it.

Slivka - games pass him by and he made no impact when he came on again today

Not sure what the answer is to be honest...I hope the new Swede is some player coz we badly need him to be.

And for heavens sake Hecky...drop Mallan for next week

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree with all of that BH good post