PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 24 08 19)

Jonnyboy
24-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Loud booing at the end of a match is an obvious sign of discontent and it was much in evidence at the final whistle today as Hibs meekly surrendered to a last minute headed goal which was eminently avoidable. This wasn’t the only booing at Easter Road this afternoon as the home fans bellowed their displeasure at the earlier substitution of Scotty Allan who was replaced by the ineffective Daryl Horgan. In fairness, not long before that change a poor challenge by Allan that bizarrely led to team mate David Gray going off injured, saw the midfield man signal to the bench that change was needed. It may have been him or it may have been on behalf of David Gray but regardless the change was not well received in the home stands.

I don’t suppose we’ll ever know if Hecky changing to two up front was as a result of the hefty criticism he got for going with a sole striker against Morton last week, or whether he had that planned anyway. Introducing Doidge was not his only change as Rocky returned in goal, Mallan resumed his midfield beat after missing the Morton game through suspension and of course Jackson started having been an early substitution replacement for McGregor last time out. There was no place in the squad for new signing Melker Hallberg but that’s not really surprising as his fitness level will be somewhere behind that of his new team mates.

Playing two up top meant a four in the middle and I couldn’t really believe what I was seeing when Scott Allan took up the wide right berth. Allan is far and away our most creative player but playing him wide right stifled his ability to influence the game in a positive sense. It was a truly baffling decision in my view.

Ironically, it was fine play by Allan that created the first chance in the game as he back heeled a ball to Kamberi but the strikers shot was deflected behind for a corner. The visitors had clearly arrived looking for a draw and wasted time from the off with another of their tactics being to foul our players when it looked as though they might get through on goal. Referee Don Robertson mostly gave the warranted free kick but seemed reluctant to get his yellow card out for persistent fouling with Saints’ Duffy and McCann the most obvious offenders.

It wasn’t long before another chance presented itself after Doidge won possession wide right and then cut the ball back to the waiting Kamberi who’s shot from around twelve yards hit the post when scoring looked easier. At the other end, Rocky gave me palpitations when he dithered with the ball at his feet and very nearly lost out to O’Halloran but the truth is that St Johnstone were happy just to stifle the game and our most gifted player was on the periphery.

There was much huffing and puffing but very little by way of quality play but around the twenty five minute mark Hibs broke the deadlock. David Gray had sent a lovely ball down the right which Kamberi gathered only to be clattered to the ground by yet another industrial challenge. From the resultant Mallan free kick, Adam Jackson steered a header in off the post with Zander Clark stranded in the visitors’ goal. This should have provided a base for Hibs to build on, especially as the visitors now had little option but to abandon their negative tactics. Sadly, other than a poor free kick by Mallan there was little to cheer for the home fans with the odd boo at half time as the players trooped off.

Neither side made any changes at the interval but it was obvious that Tommy Wright had been vocal in the visitors’ dressing room as Saints were now playing with more purpose. Indeed, just five minutes in the visitors had a good chance to equalise when a ball over the top saw O’Halloran scampering free though Marciano could and should have gotten out to clear easily but for some reason he was slow making a move towards the ball, arrived at the same time as O’Halloran and fouled the striker just outside the eighteen yard box, earning a yellow in the process.

Hibs were playing at far too slow a pace and almost paid the penalty when Craig found Kennedy in the box but the former Hibs loanee blasted the ball high and wide. Then David Gray was injured when Scott Allan tackled Tanser who collided with Gray. Both required treatment but Gray could not continue which meant the introduction of Whittaker at right back, much to the annoyance of the pillock a few rows behind me who greeted the substitution with a roar of “You’re ***** Whittaker” as Whitty took up position. Another pillock, a different one but there’s a few around, was unhappy that Middleton seemed to be getting no support from a team mate. “Support him Hibs, even if he is a Hun” with the irony in that shout clearly lost on the shouter.

Saints had their tails up and a fine double save by Rocky prevented them levelling but you got the distinct impression it was only a matter of time. Having said that a superb through ball found Doidge in the box but his left footed effort was weak and didn’t trouble Clark at all. Soon after, Doidge was replaced by Slivka, a substitution that happened at the same time as Horgan replaced Allan. That decision did not go down well at all and if it wasn’t due to injury the manager deserves the pelters for making that call.

With around twenty minutes to go, Saints finally worked their equaliser when a short corner caught Hibs napping and O’Halloran took the ball and blasted it high into the net. At the time I felt it was poor that Rocky was beaten at his near post but I’ve not seen it again so I’m maybe being unfairly harsh on the keeper.

They say a team is most vulnerable in the minutes after scoring and that old adage proved true as within a minute or so of levelling, Saints once again found themselves a goal down. Good play, down the left, saw Middleton fire a low cross into the area and Kamberi reacted brilliantly to back heel the ball into the net. Saints reacted by throwing everything forward and rather than try to exploit the gaps at the back, Hibs decided to sit and protect what they had but with literally the last effort of the game a poorly defended corner was headed home by Kerr at the back post and that brought forward a chorus of booing from the home stands.

The players

Marciano – A bit of a mixed bag from Rocky as he had fine saves, but a couple of nerve jangling moments and, of course, it looked as though he was beaten at his near post for the first equaliser.

Gray – I really feel for SDG as all pre match talk amongst supporters these days seems to revolve around guessing how long he’ll play before going off injured. Today’s injury was sheer bad luck though it looked a sore one. Prior to his departure he had been left a number of times with two men to mark as Scotty wasn’t a lot of help in that scenario.

Jackson – I class Jackson as a good old fashioned centre half who knows that defending is what he is all about. Having said that, he is a threat in the opposition box as proved today by a headed opening goal.

Hanlon – I don’t think Paul has been at his best of late but today, against the physical Chris Kane, he looked more like his old self.

Stevenson - A pretty solid display from Lewis. He wasn’t perfect but he stuck to his task and I thought he worked well with Middleton down the left.

Allan – Wasted wide right, totally wasted. Not his fault, the manager made that call but for my money his call was wrong on all levels. Little or no creativity in midfield and little or no cover for SDG defensively. Not Scotty’s fault as I say.

Vela – I’m not at all sure what to make of him as he just seems to drift through games. Having said that, maybe he needs to be given a position and left there instead of all this swapping around nonsense.

Mallan – Once again asked to play far too deep. His delivery for the opening goal was however Hendersonesque as it landed right on the napper of its intended target.

Middleton – Once again I like what I see. The lad has quick feet and a turn of pace when needed whilst his delivery for the second goal was spot on.

Doidge – The much maligned striker had a decent hour today, set Kamberi up a couple of times but proved his left foot is for standing on when his effort trickled towards Clark just prior to his replacement.

Kamberi – For my money he was the best player on the park today by a long stretch. All the selfishness is being removed from his game as he works hard to bring in team mates and of course his goal was a brilliant example of a quick thinking top striker.

Whittaker – I’m fed up reading about how he’s finished and about the experts that have written him off. He was fine today and has been very good in the last couple of games before it. Here’s a thought – support the laddie rather than deride him.

Slivka – I’m not at all sure what position he was being asked to play when he came on but I do know that on at least three occasions he was there to clear the ball out of danger in our penalty area.

Horgan – Having moaned at folk for criticising Whittaker I’m going to be a hypocrite and offer the view that Horgan is far too poor far too often and today was a case in point. When he had the chance to set Vela free with the whole of their half to place the ball he clipped it right onto the waiting head of the only Saints player within forty yards of their goal – woeful but I wouldn’t be screaming obscenities at him during a game.

The fans – Once again I thought the atmosphere was dead for long spells and although the drum was pretty audible the singing was not.

Hecky – Haven’t heard his comments so can’t offer a view. I’ll offer this though – someone said to me today that he’s Neil Lennon with a Yorkshire accent in the way he blames everyone and everything but himself for poor results and performances.

Don Robertson – Clearly the new rules of the game have removed the need to punish persistent fouling with a yellow card.

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Been waiting for this

BILLYHIBS
24-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Brilliant once again Jonnyboy

I thought St Johnstone deserved their point but god knows where the injury time came from perhaps SDGs injury

Rocky lucky to stay on the park for rushing out of his box and clattering into a St Johnstone forward with no intention to play the ball second half

Scott Allan’s starting position and subsequent substitution a mystery

Glenn Middleton needed more support but tired towards the end of the game which was understandable

Horgan always seems to take the wrong option

Flo back to his old self

Worrying there was Basle representatives in the stand

Spotted Adam Bogdan in the stand chatting to Fraser Murray

A draw about fair

Must do better

bythecringe
24-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the write up on the game. Great as usual and the only report I read. I can’t help but think what did we Hibs supporters do in previous lives to earn this Karma?

erin go bragh
24-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Really feel Heckingbottom has lost the support of the fans . That felt like a defeat today . His decisions and tactics just don’t make sense.
I’m a cup full type of guy but really feel it’s going to be a long hard season with him as our manager.
Spot on report JB as per but worrying times ahead as our support is not anywhere near backing him .

Tarrahib
24-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Doidge's left foot is just for standing on is what I said at the game.I would love it if he would prove me wrong.

Sammy7nil
24-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Not often I disagree but I do today 13 outfield plus Rocky and only two got pass marks. The two goal scorers with Flo a mile in front of everyone else. I get Horgan was not good but his cross field ball set Middleton away. That was more than Mallan and Allan did. When Hecky made the subs i thought Mallan and Middelton would come off. Mallan because he was poor and Middleton because he was not in the game.

The whole team including management are miles away from were we want them to be.

24-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy for your usual honest appraisal of today’s game.
I was at the match today - the first I have attended since the opener at Stirling and frankly I saw very little improvement from that game. The team and I include the manager and coaching staff as well as the players need to take a good look at themselves.
The goalkeeper is undoubtedly a very good shot stopper but with the ball at his feet is an accident waiting to happen. His decision making is iffy to say the least (rushing out and getting booked today when there were at least two defenders surrounding the opposition player) and his distribution from hands and feet is awful.
Today’s starting back four now lack pace totally. In straight races for balls today all four were beaten to the ball. Individually each of them can compensate for that through experience and positioning sense but you need pace in these positions as well.
The starting positions of the midfield four was a joke for two in particular. SA is completely wasted out right. It limits his ability to be creative and he is absolutely hopeless attempting his defensive duties so much so that one of his rash tackles on a St J player led to David Gray’s injury! SM seems to have disappeared up his own backside. He is not a defensive mid and he seems to have lost his ability to convert or even come close with free kicks. This was my first 90 minute sighting of JV and I thought he looked a bit lost and not fully understanding his role in the team. GM looked to me as if he could be a real bright spark for us given the right level of support from his team mates which was sadly lacking today.
The two up front today looked as if they could probably form a decent partnership but again that requires the correct level of support from the other team members which happened only sporadically today and for the most part they had to do their best from scraps and FK in particular did very well.
None of this will be news to any of you so how on earth can the manager and coaching staff not know these things and actively work to improve the situation. All the the points I have made above I could have made after the Stirling game albeit with one or two personnel changes, and I fully expected to see improvements today but to no avail.
I didn’t boo the team today but I did do a fair bit of angry shouting. I understand those who decry those who boo but how else are fans meant to convey their feelings to the management in particular that they are not happy with individual decisions (substitutions etc), team selections or the tactics.
Even if Hibs had held onto a 2 - 1 victory today I would have gone away happy with 3points but raging at the eye bleeding style of play employed by the team and that is not down to the players! The only other way of the fans conveying their feelings is that they don’t turn out for games and I certainly don’t want that to happen. It has taken the club many years to get back to near full stadiums each home match and long may that continue. So maybe the wee delicate souls in management will need to handle some booing from those who think it appropriate until we get a product on the pitch that we can all feel proud of and support strongly.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Thought Jackson was good and Hanlon poor again unfortunately.

Smartie
24-08-2019, 08:48 PM
It was a shame the lasting impression of Doidge from today is probably that chance on his left foot, because I thought he had a superb hour before being sacrificed as we tried to shore up the midfield.

For the chance it was a lovely bit of football between Flo, Allan and Doidge to create the chance - the kind of thing that happens when Flo is playing the way he is, Allan finds himself on the ball in the middle of the park in the final third, and when you get good movement like Doidge's was to get onto the chance.

There were actually quite a few positives to take from the game. There were also glaring negatives to take away from the game and our manager finds himself under quite a lot of pressure. I don't think we're all that far off being an excellent side, but I don't know if our gaffer has it in him to see what it takes and to address it.

FWIW a new man could come in, sign a brute of a midfielder and see us go on an stonking run of form after having that bounce sort of effect with all the other players Heckingbottom has brought in.

I like Heckingbottom and badly want him to get it right - much more than I would ever want to see him fail, go and have someone else come in. That level of booing today suggests a huge chunk of support have lost faith in him, which can be a difficult position to come back from.

Jonnyboy
24-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Not often I disagree but I do today 13 outfield plus Rocky and only two got pass marks. The two goal scorers with Flo a mile in front of everyone else. I get Horgan was not good but his cross field ball set Middleton away. That was more than Mallan and Allan did. When Hecky made the subs i thought Mallan and Middelton would come off. Mallan because he was poor and Middleton because he was not in the game.

The whole team including management are miles away from were we want them to be.

I agree Mallan wasn't great but it was his free kick that Jackson scored from so it's a bit unfair to say Horgan did more than him don't you think?

Sammy7nil
24-08-2019, 09:52 PM
I agree Mallan wasn't great but it was his free kick that Jackson scored from so it's a bit unfair to say Horgan did more than him don't you think?

We can agree maybe we were a bit harsh on both then. :aok:

Iggy Pope
24-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Gray, Hanlon, Stevenson and Mallan were all bloody awful though. Poor decision making throughout equally as bad as Horgan’s.
Neither Stevenson or Gray look anywhere near fit to play.
The managers selected formation and subsequent changes read like a man that cannot be arsed with his job. His pathetic deflection in his interview since appears to confirm this.
Never heard booing of substitutions like that at ER in a long time.
****ing pitiful day really.

judas
24-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Great account as usual

Jonnyboy
24-08-2019, 11:23 PM
We can agree maybe we were a bit harsh on both then. :aok:

😀✅

BILLYHIBS
24-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Gray, Hanlon, Stevenson and Mallan were all bloody awful though. Poor decision making throughout equally as bad as Horgan’s.
Neither Stevenson or Gray look anywhere near fit to play.
The managers selected formation and subsequent changes read like a man that cannot be arsed with his job. His pathetic deflection in his interview since appears to confirm this.
Never heard booing of substitutions like that at ER in a long time.
****ing pitiful day really.
:agree:

Just watched his post match interview blamed everyone but himself

Remind you of anyone?

SideBurns
25-08-2019, 01:51 AM
Thanks JB. Horgan's decision making and crossing was as frustrating as always. How Mallan stays on the park while Allan gets subbed after an hour is a mystery to me.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 04:10 AM
Thought Jackson was good and Hanlon poor again unfortunately.

Made a James Hunt of it for saints 1st equaliser, as did Stevenson yet they both continually get an easy ride on here...

Gray is finished and needs replaced. Cup winner or not you cant keep playing guys for sentimental reasons. we need players who will give us 20-30 games a season, not 50-60 minutes every 4-6 weeks.

Mallan - gash, offers very very little. The odd free kick goal every 8 weeks insy good enough. How he started today is beyond me, Scotty Allan moved out wide to accommodate him.

Whittiker, file under Mallan

Doidge - oft. :confused:

We really are not a good team.

Iain G
25-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Just watched his post match interview blamed everyone but himself

Remind you of anyone?

Neil Lennon?

Nicho87
25-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Midfield is his problem.

he could have went diamond

mallan
vela middleton
allan

he could have even went a

mallan
vela Allan Middleton

he even could have went with

vela mallan
middleton Allan kamberi

playing Allan there is a waste

Jim44
25-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Contrary to what nearly everyone thinks, PH appears to have a lower opinion of Scott Allan and is struggling to fit him into his scheme of things. The pundits on BT Sport alluded to this recently but I thought they were wide of the mark. Maybe they were correct and maybe PH, while he is at ER is going to use him as a fringe player.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Contrary to what nearly everyone thinks, PH appears to have a lower opinion of Scott Allan and is struggling to fit him into his scheme of things. The pundits on BT Sport alluded to this recently but I thought they were wide of the mark. Maybe they were correct and maybe PH, while he is at ER is going to use him as a fringe player.

I said on another thread a few days ago that Scott Allan was the 'elephant in the room'. He's very obviously a player who has to be accommodated. He can't play as part of a 2, PH will not play a 3 at the back so we are having to play a formation we don't appear to have the players to play, despite it apparently being the managers preferred formation, to fit him in.

The simple fact is PH need to find a way to utilise Allan or he has to make us a better, winning team without him. Playing him out of position or not playing him at all and continuing with the current performance level will see the vitriol aimed at the manager continue to gain momentum.

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Clearly the manager does not know his best formation, he keeps swapping and changing, playing players in positions where they don’t excel, too deep or too wide. St Johnstone looked so much more organised and a far better football team than Hibs. Flo is the only ray of sunshine.

Iain G
25-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Clearly the manager does not know his best formation, he keeps swapping and changing, playing players in positions where they don’t excel, too deep or too wide. St Johnstone looked so much more organised and a far better football team than Hibs. Flo is the only ray of sunshine.

Pick his formation, pick how he wants to play and pick his best starting XI and start from there.

If it's a 4-2-3-1 then go with it and play players in their best position, otherwise we end up with the Neil Lennon postcode lottery approach to team selection and players we had last season...

greenlex
25-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Agree almost word fir word JC. Only difference would be I thought Middleton drifted in and out the game too and was with one exception largely ineffective with the ball at his feet.

jacomo
25-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Thanks JB.

So much chat about the fans and the manager that it’s good to talk about the players.

Rocky - a few trademark saves but looked rocky. What was that awful tackle out of the box all about?

SDG - solid until his injury. Seeing him crumpled on the turf is far too familiar.

Jackson - I like him. Didn’t have to do much for his goal but was in the right place at the right moment. Natural replacement for Daz.

Hanlon - thought he was ok but offered no protection from in front of him.

Lewis - unspectacular, solid return

Allan - quality. Got an assist and should have had another one. Why was he wide right and why was he subbed?

Vela - I still don’t know how good this guy is. He’s not a midfield destroyer and he doesn’t seem to be a playmaker.

Mallan - Some good moments but struggles in open play, often seems to be chasing shadows

Middleton - quick, good feet, positive. I like.

Doidge - Allan put one on a plate for him and he fluffed it. Yes he won his fair share in the air but my abiding memory is a missed opportunity.

Flo - quality. Play him up front, get the ball to him and good things happen.

SUBS:

Whitts - fine, did what he was asked to do.

Slivka - like Doidge, he fluffed his lines. I think the guy is a good player but he keeps ducking his chances to prove it.

Horgan - did just fine... a couple of infuriating misplaced passes but looked threatening when he came on.

OVERALL:

the number of times St Johnstone managed to get at our back line was scary. Just when you think we had cleared the danger or dealt with the situation, we gave the ball away and were back under pressure.

We had some quality on the park yesterday and should have won fairly comfortably but chucked two points away.

Baffled and a bit concerned.

hibee_girl
25-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Agree almost word fir word JC. Only difference would be I thought Middleton drifted in and out the game too and was with one exception largely ineffective with the ball at his feet.

Have to agree about Middleton, he impressed me last weekend but not yesterday. There were times Stevenson was telling him where he needed to be to help out defensively.

Marciano was suspect, his decision making was all over the place.

Mallan would be as well not on the pitch for all the brings sometimes.

Doidge did well but should have scored.

Kamberi was just excellent.

GreenCastle
25-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy for your usual honest appraisal of today’s game.
I was at the match today - the first I have attended since the opener at Stirling and frankly I saw very little improvement from that game. The team and I include the manager and coaching staff as well as the players need to take a good look at themselves.
The goalkeeper is undoubtedly a very good shot stopper but with the ball at his feet is an accident waiting to happen. His decision making is iffy to say the least (rushing out and getting booked today when there were at least two defenders surrounding the opposition player) and his distribution from hands and feet is awful.
Today’s starting back four now lack pace totally. In straight races for balls today all four were beaten to the ball. Individually each of them can compensate for that through experience and positioning sense but you need pace in these positions as well.
The starting positions of the midfield four was a joke for two in particular. SA is completely wasted out right. It limits his ability to be creative and he is absolutely hopeless attempting his defensive duties so much so that one of his rash tackles on a St J player led to David Gray’s injury! SM seems to have disappeared up his own backside. He is not a defensive mid and he seems to have lost his ability to convert or even come close with free kicks. This was my first 90 minute sighting of JV and I thought he looked a bit lost and not fully understanding his role in the team. GM looked to me as if he could be a real bright spark for us given the right level of support from his team mates which was sadly lacking today.
The two up front today looked as if they could probably form a decent partnership but again that requires the correct level of support from the other team members which happened only sporadically today and for the most part they had to do their best from scraps and FK in particular did very well.
None of this will be news to any of you so how on earth can the manager and coaching staff not know these things and actively work to improve the situation. All the the points I have made above I could have made after the Stirling game albeit with one or two personnel changes, and I fully expected to see improvements today but to no avail.
I didn’t boo the team today but I did do a fair bit of angry shouting. I understand those who decry those who boo but how else are fans meant to convey their feelings to the management in particular that they are not happy with individual decisions (substitutions etc), team selections or the tactics.
Even if Hibs had held onto a 2 - 1 victory today I would have gone away happy with 3points but raging at the eye bleeding style of play employed by the team and that is not down to the players! The only other way of the fans conveying their feelings is that they don’t turn out for games and I certainly don’t want that to happen. It has taken the club many years to get back to near full stadiums each home match and long may that continue. So maybe the wee delicate souls in management will need to handle some booing from those who think it appropriate until we get a product on the pitch that we can all feel proud of and support strongly.

Very similar to my feelings.

Except I didn’t shout at our own players - never do.

I don’t like the thought it’s going to take a derby defeat to possibly have him sacked.

Lost count the number of freekicks we gave away due to be poor positioning or not sharp/quick enough.

We need to get back to basics - solid shape - less errors and basically what got us into the top 6 when he arrived. Though we seriously lack a Milligan / McNulty and most importantly an Omeonga type who wins the ball and runs with it - closest we have had to SJM since he left.

Unseen work
25-08-2019, 08:57 AM
I feel a bit for Heckingbottom, we’re winning on the 93rd minute and the players should be seeing the game out. Players need to take responsibility and manage the game effectively and be leaders on the pitch, he can only do so much from the side.

I don’t think the game was anywhere near as bad as some seem to think, the losing team is always going to have more of the ball the last 20 minutes and chuck everything at you, even with that they never created many good chances.

My big big bear, is how deep we are sitting, the defence need to squeeze right up and help the midfield but instead they constantly want to drop. I don’t know if it’s a lack of pace and they’re trying to cover themselves but it’s exposing the midfield.

Vela does buzz about and I like him, but when the defence is so deep it’s a massive area he has to cover and it’s no wonder we’re getting played through. Him and Mallan are getting a lot of stick that I’m not entirely sure is justified, Mallan does a lot of good things people seem to ignore.

Scott Allan is not a natural winger, but it’s not a completely unknown position to him. He was very poor by his standards and was struggling to control the ball at times, he was also letting the full back make runs off him. A change of formation or position isn’t the reason he couldn’t control the ball. He was rightly subbed imo, a lot of folk were saying sub Mallan. Stevie was far better than Scott yesterday. Im also not buying this Hecky doesn’t like him nonsense, he has praised him on numerous occasions and always starts him. Subbed against rangers because he got a knock and yesterday as he was poor.

Kamberi is on a different level at the moment, his confidence is sky high and his touches and skill is leaving defenders for dead. A real joy to watch.

Marciano - I have no clue what is wrong with him right now. 2 really bad mistakes against Rangers and then another one yesterday I’m told (I’ll need to see it back). His performance yesterday as a whole was poor, coming out and getting nowhere near things and again poor distribution. He makes some very good saves, he also makes some very good camera saves which aren’t needed and put us under pressure as he parries it back into the area. I wonder if we will allow him to leave for money and bring in Bogdan? Seems a bit weird he was at the game yesterday.

Again il say it, I don’t think we are far away. We have quality in that squad, it’s getting the balance right and stopping these awful individual errors.

You can do all the tactics and work in the world, when you cross that line it’s down to the players, they need to take responsibility and be brave when seeing our a game. Put your foot on the ball and keep possession for a while let everyone have a breather and kill their momentum.

Booing subs is an absolute joke. We needed extra players in the middle to get a foot on the Ball and give us energy. If Horgan has a pass in him he would have released us twice into dangerous positions yet he made very poor passes.

Hoping Hallberg is the exact type of player we need and we kick on.

Pick a settled team and formation, get the defence higher up the pitch and make it more congested then you will see the pressing work a lot more effectively.

Glory glory :flag:

The Green Goblin
25-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Really good account, with fine insight, as usual.

Thought Middleton looks a player. Some great touches.

The fact that PH doesn’t know how to play our best player says a lot.

Jackson looks a player too imo and we’ll see the best of him when there’s a fit defence playing around him.

Rocky needs to sort himself out with that dithering nonsense creeping into his game.

Tin hat on here but I think Flo’s sudden consistent excellent form is him playing for that transfer.

Smartie
25-08-2019, 10:29 AM
I really like Middleton but he was horribly isolated at times.

Our players and formation just doesn't seem to work. Stevenson struggled to get up to help Middleton, none of the central midfielders got over to him, the strikers were miles away. When a team is playing well you have little units within a team playing well, and that's just not happening for us right now. I've used the example of Middleton but it is happening all over the park.

number9dream
25-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Rocky lucky to avoid a red card and from where I was appeared to just dive out of the way when O'Halloran fired his shot in at the near post.

We've been very unlucky with injuries in full-back areas and that looks like continuing with Gray's latest mishap. Stevenson is going to get better with a few more games. Mackie might have blown his chance.

Jackson solid in defence and a threat at set-pieces. Probably needs more of a ball-player in with him and that should be Hanlon but the big man has been poor for a long while now. Porteous and Jackson? Maybe they are too similar but I'd feel more confident about them keeping the opposition out.

Midfield; where to start? Allan is the heartbeat of the team, so find a system that suits him. Can Hallberg & Vela do the necessary graft? Where does Mallan fit in? Is Slivka an option? Murray looks more talented that the lot of them but where does he play? Was he missing after that kick against Morton? Is Newell already a forgotten man?

Wingers? Horgan hot and cold, Middleton still a bit off the pace, which is understandable.

Two up top? Really not sure it's going to work. Very few teams adopt that system anymore and it leaves a lightweight midfield exposed unless we are totally on top. However, I'm not sure we have the personnel for an effective 4-3-3 with Boyle out.

I'm stumped and it looks like Hecky is too. Difference is that it's his very well-paid full-time job to sort it out.

Iain G
25-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Rocky lucky to avoid a red card and from where I was appeared to just dive out of the way when O'Halloran fired his shot in at the near post.

We've been very unlucky with injuries in full-back areas and that looks like continuing with Gray's latest mishap. Stevenson is going to get better with a few more games. Mackie might have blown his chance.

Jackson solid in defence and a threat at set-pieces. Probably needs more of a ball-player in with him and that should be Hanlon but the big man has been poor for a long while now. Porteous and Jackson? Maybe they are too similar but I'd feel more confident about them keeping the opposition out.

Midfield; where to start? Allan is the heartbeat of the team, so find a system that suits him. Can Hallberg & Vela do the necessary graft? Where does Mallan fit in? Is Slivka an option? Murray looks more talented that the lot of them but where does he play? Was he missing after that kick against Morton? Is Newell already a forgotten man?

Wingers? Horgan hot and cold, Middleton still a bit off the pace, which is understandable.

Two up top? Really not sure it's going to work. Very few teams adopt that system anymore and it leaves a lightweight midfield exposed unless we are totally on top. However, I'm not sure we have the personnel for an effective 4-3-3 with Boyle out.

I'm stumped and it looks like Hecky is too. Difference is that it's his very well-paid full-time job to sort it out.

Rocky
Gray Porteous Hanlon Stevenson
Vela Hallberg
Horgan Allan Middleton
Kamberi

Start there and use the squad and subs well to change it as required.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Agree, that was a shocker of a tackle. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
25-08-2019, 03:00 PM
ER is a bit of a happy hunting ground for st.johnstone in recent years, and we've only got 12 more league wins against them since 1925

ancient hibee
25-08-2019, 03:07 PM
If you keep on chopping and changing the midfield or giving them different roles it’s not surprising that the team is disjointed.At least twice during the second half two midfielders went for the same ball and it ended with neither getting it.There appears to be no set formation or style.I’m at a loss to understand what Vela is supposed to be doing.The League Cup should not have been about rotation but about establishing the main part of the team-the midfield.The main(only?)function of a manager is to establish the ethos of the team and put the right team on the park.The reason Alex Ferguson was so successful was that decades before he retired he gave up the coaching and concentrated on having the right players and playing them right.

Hiber-nation
25-08-2019, 03:18 PM
If you keep on chopping and changing the midfield or giving them different roles it’s not surprising that the team is disjointed.At least twice during the second half two midfielders went for the same ball and it ended with neither getting it.There appears to be no set formation or style.I’m at a loss to understand what Vela is supposed to be doing.The League Cup should not have been about rotation but about establishing the main part of the team-the midfield.The main(only?)function of a manager is to establish the ethos of the team and put the right team on the park.The reason Alex Ferguson was so successful was that decades before he retired he gave up the coaching and concentrated on having the right players and playing them right.

No idea either. If anyone has a clue what type of midfielder this guy is I'd like to hear it. Not a defensive one that's for sure and also not a playmaker.

The Harp Awakes
25-08-2019, 03:46 PM
No idea either. If anyone has a clue what type of midfielder this guy is I'd like to hear it. Not a defensive one that's for sure and also not a playmaker.

It sure is a strange one. The thing is I've no idea if Vela is decent or not. Yesterday he just seemed to trot around and was never on the ball to prove himself. It did look like he hadn't a clue what his role was in the team.

Greenbeard
25-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Just watched the highlights. Is that Steven MacLean in the middle of their fans and losing his balance with his exuberant celebration of their late goal?

Greenbeard
25-08-2019, 04:31 PM

Jackson looks a player too imo and we’ll see the best of him when there’s a fit defence playing around him.

Rocky needs to sort himself out with that dithering nonsense creeping into his game.

Tin hat on here but I think Flo’s sudden consistent excellent form is him playing for that transfer.
Not needed. Bleedin' obvi.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Just watched the highlights. Is that Steven MacLean in the middle of their fans and losing his balance with his exuberant celebration of their late goal?

Who edited them? Completely miss the build up to St Johnstone's first goal!!!

From memory Hanlon is at fault for the first and the second there is nobody near Kerr when he heads it in. Shocking stuff.

Peevemor
25-08-2019, 06:14 PM
One of my Breton mates (a Rennes ST holder) is across in Scotland on holiday and went to the match yesterday.

His neutral view is that Middleton is great and the ref was unbelievably bad.

jacomo
25-08-2019, 08:30 PM
One of my Breton mates (a Rennes ST holder) is across in Scotland on holiday and went to the match yesterday.

His neutral view is that Middleton is great and the ref was unbelievably bad.

True the ref was poor and did us no favours at all.

But we still should have won. Our problem was conceding possession repeatedly and allowing st Johnstone in at our back four repeatedly.

Hermit Crab
25-08-2019, 08:31 PM

But we still should have won. Our problem was conceding possession repeatedly and allowing st Johnstone in at our back four repeatedly.

The ref done us a massive favour by only booking Rocky because his tackle was an absolute shocker and deserved red imo.

Peevemor
25-08-2019, 08:53 PM

But we still should have won. Our problem was conceding possession repeatedly and allowing st Johnstone in at our back four repeatedly.I know. It was the first full match I've watched this season (Hibs TV stream) and as the match wore on I could feel my enthusiasm draining away. The last time I felt like that was under Williamson.

I posted my mate's comments as I found it interesting coming from a foreign neutral whose opinion I respect. I'll obviously get more of his thoughts when he gets back.

LaMotta
25-08-2019, 11:36 PM
The ref done us a massive favour by only booking Rocky because his tackle was an absolute shocker and deserved red imo.

Yellow card all day long.

matty_f
25-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Yellow card all day long.

Yep. Deserved the booking but it was never a red card.

basehibby
26-08-2019, 12:17 AM

Pelters deserved - give the lad some credit for having a good pre-season and playing as well as we know he can - no need for the negative spin.

Hermit Crab
26-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Pelters deserved - give the lad some credit for having a good pre-season and playing as well as we know he can - no need for the negative spin.

Its no coincidence that the last 2 games he's played really well there has been scouts from Basle in the stand.

MSK
26-08-2019, 05:19 AM
Its no coincidence that the last 2 games he's played really well there has been scouts from Basle in the stand.Or he is actually playing really well regardless of scouts being there or not..

Todi114
26-08-2019, 06:03 AM
St Johnstone’s 2nd goal is clearly offside
linesman should have flagged
goalscorer on his way back when he headed the ball