PDA

View Full Version : Well done UEFA

The 90+2
23-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Part of Ibrox closed for their match on Thursday because of racist and sectarian chanting in previous games away from home.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Haha. Funny that the Rangers board are ‘raging’ with their supporters conduct. Maybe they should have done something about it rather than join in with the songs themselves and blame everyone else for everything.

Diclonius
23-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Cue the media moaning and bleating that it's really horrible and unfair to poor wee Rangers and how they were definitely absolutely really going to do something about it themselves this time.

I haven't read their statement yet, but I'm sure it's something along the lines of "blah blah we think this is an affront to the Gers and also Celtic have done it loads of times and nothing happened."

itslegaltender
23-08-2019, 12:25 PM
This really shows up the SFA and the SPFL for what they are. They have turned a blind eye to the constant sectarian singing from both the old and new Rangers.

Interesting to see the board immediately accept this decision, no outrage, no statements. They know that UEFA would not take any of their nonsense.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Strict liability - it's the only way to deal with the scourge sectarianism in Scottish football. The SFL need to have the same courage when it comes to domestic matches.

Well done UEFA. If they do it again, ban them from European competition and see if they get the message :top marks

SiinDubai
23-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Long overdue
Well done EUFA

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 12:31 PM
BREAKING NEWS

@RangersFC say they have been ordered to close a section of Ibrox for next week's Europa League qualifier v Legia Warsaw due to "racist behaviour" and "sectarian singing"

More on @SkySportsNews

23-08-2019, 12:32 PM
A disgusting club that should be shut down (again)

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 12:32 PM
This really shows up the SFA and the SPFL for what they are. They have turned a blind eye to the constant sectarian singing from both the old and new Rangers.

Interesting to see the board immediately accept this decision, no outrage, no statements. They know that UEFA would not take any of their nonsense.

Totally agree. This only time that the club did anything real about this was when UEFA did the same before. What a shower of cowards we have in this country.

Tobias Funke
23-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Must be a statement imminent surely? 😂

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 12:35 PM
BREAKING NEWS

@RangersFC say the offences occurred during the home game v St Joseph’s on July 18

UEFA have ruled a section of no fewer than 3000 seats must be closed during the club’s next European home game

Kojock
A statement from Rangers reveals they must shut off "a section, or sections containing no fewer than 3000 seats. Average £30 per ticket that’s £90,000

1 8 7 5
Part of Ibrox closed for their match on Thursday because of racist and sectarian chanting in previous games away from home.

So how does that work? Who complained, and how did the complainant know that the chanting was sectarian?

I'm wondering because, we cant seem to do anything in this country, and we supposedly speak the same language.

Its the equivalent of a dirty infirm player moving to England with an exemplary disciplinary record, and gets his first banning after about 5 games. They dont get away with it in England, and are found out for the hacker they are!

This shows our authorities up for what they are! The collective "we" could stop it. But we dont.

Moulin Yarns
BREAKING NEWS

@RangersFC chairman Dave King:

“Rangers has players & supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds, but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club. If any supporter can not accept that then Rangers is not the club for them.”

Halmyre Hibee
23-08-2019, 12:36 PM
I hope the SFA/SPFL/police/ Scottish Government take notice.

This is how to deal with sectarianism / racism.

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 12:38 PM
#Rangers message to fans: If any individual supporter is unable to behave in a civilised manner then please stay away from Ibrox and our Club. You are harming Rangers and that is something a genuine supporter would never wish to do.

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 12:40 PM
I hope the SFA/SPFL/police/ Scottish Government take notice.

This is how to deal with sectarianism / racism.

Representatives from all of the organisations listed should be asked for a statement on the UEFA action and why it cant be done here.

Captain Trips
23-08-2019, 12:41 PM
So if game does not sell out what would the point be?

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 12:43 PM
So if game does not sell out what would the point be?

Obviously it would only have a financial impact if there was demand for tickets for that section. It is more the punishment being the first part of a process for increased punishments if same behaviour continues.

Oscar T Grouch
23-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Of course it is a minority spoiling it for the rest of them :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49449628

SteveHFC
23-08-2019, 12:44 PM
http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/324072-punishment-from-fare/page/2/#comments

If you want a laugh..

Ozyhibby
23-08-2019, 12:44 PM
No point complaining about the SFA and Spfl when Hibs are happy to turn a blind eye to them doing at Easter Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 12:45 PM
BREAKING NEWS

“Rangers has players & supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds, but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club. If any supporter can not accept that then Rangers is not the club for them.”

That would leave with a couple of hundred at home games.

Not In The Know
23-08-2019, 12:47 PM
It's really strange how The Rangers fans only act like that in European matches.

Very puzzling...

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 12:48 PM
It's really strange how The Rangers fans only act like that in European matches.

Very puzzling...

:faf:

The Modfather

I have every faith in Petrie to be the man needed to reform the SFA and in no way see him as a dinosaur that feeds at the same trough as all the others that are a problem at the SFA 👀....

Smartie
I really like Dave King's comments.

We've been waiting for more than a century for this sort of talk from within Ibrox.

Credit where it's due...........

It also shows our own authorities up for what they are when you can have people within Rangers acting like normal people off the back of a single punishment.

iwasthere1972
23-08-2019, 12:50 PM
A waste of time if it's only 3k seats. Only about 5% of the stadium capacity.

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 12:51 PM

We've been waiting for more than a century for this sort of talk from within Ibrox.

It also shows our own authorities up for what they are when you can have people within Rangers acting like normal people off the back of a single punishment.

Agree about King's comments bit of a shame it has taken a punishment to get him to say such things but they are welcome nonetheless. Pretty sure Murray said similar things when they were fined previously by UEFA.

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 12:55 PM
^^Agreed.

Fair play to Rangers this time.

They’ve accepted it and haven’t tried to shift the blame nor mention Celtic at all.

If it keeps happening I’d imagine more and more seats will have to be left empty.

23-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Talk is cheap

Stantons Angel
23-08-2019, 12:59 PM
BREAKING NEWS

That my friends is why this lot are still stuck in the past with their own wee world around them.

I bet if this eegit was to do a survey of them and ask the right questions he may realise just what a scurge on Scotland they are.

This will not stop them either but it is a start and hits them where it hurts. If it continues their ground will be closed to all of their European fixtures and it will be all their own fault!

ian cruise
23-08-2019, 01:03 PM
That my friends is why this lot are still stuck in the past with their own wee world around them.

I bet if this eegit was to do a survey of them and ask the right questions he may realise just what a scurge on Scotland they are.

This will not stop them either but it is a start and hits them where it hurts. If it continues their ground will be closed to all of their European fixtures and it will be all their own fault!

They will just stop signing the songs in Europe and sing them louder in domestic games, knowing they'll get no punishment.

Jones28
23-08-2019, 01:06 PM
http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/324072-punishment-from-fare/page/2/#comments

If you want a laugh..

Every time I go on that forum I am staggered. Not just by the lack of moderation, but the lack of brain cells, the levels of whatabouterry and that they don’t get that “fenian” is a banned word.

HoboHarry
23-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Sevco had no choice but accept it as they have no dirt on UEFA like they have with the SFA. They were all party to the 5 way agreement, the conflict of interest of Campbell Ogilvie, the complicity of Doncaster, Regan in attempting to shoe horn Sevco straight back into the top division etc etc etc. If the SFA had tried this (yes I know, lol...) they would be of a very different mindset.....

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 01:09 PM
I liked this comment on twitter

But why ban the 3,000 who were innocent of any wrongdoing?

lyonhibs
23-08-2019, 01:12 PM
http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/324072-punishment-from-fare/#comments

Give yourself a wash, grab a gas mask and dive in. Delusion and whatabboutery all over the shop. No one likes them but boy, they *do* care :faf::faf:

Deansy
23-08-2019, 01:24 PM
BREAKING NEWS

If ever a statement was made through severely gritted teeth then this is it !

Sean1875
23-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Talk is cheap

Yup. DK and every Ibrox official will hear the sectarian singing that goes on every game, its only cause they've been finally punished that theyre coming out with this pish. As the old saying goes - They're not sorry, theyre just sorry they've been caught.

Diclonius
23-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Imagine if the SFA grew some balls and closed a section of the stadium. They would kick the **** off.

Sylar
23-08-2019, 01:30 PM
It's all the fault of the "fenians at FARE" and "the biased taig/papist media" for ratting them out :rolleyes:

UEFA could conceivably cause a bit of a riot here by giving Rangers less than a week's notice, when all of the logistics etc are already in place for the return leg and it's sold out.

Absolute guarantee we'll hear their fans louder than ever vs St Mirren at the weekend too.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 01:30 PM

If you want a laugh..

A lot of radges on that thread!

ancient hibee
23-08-2019, 01:31 PM
There’s a lot of tosh on here blaming the SFA and the SPFL.It’s not their fault.The sole fault lies with the clubs who will not vote for any sanctions against them.Both the SFA and the SPFL would be delighted if clubs were held liable.It’s not going to happen.

Haymaker
23-08-2019, 01:34 PM

If you want a laugh..

The comment in there "ask the UB to amend the songbook for European nights" is brilliant.

Ronniekirk
23-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Spot on Yet they know they can manipulate the authorities in Scotland and allow the sectarian chanting to continue unchallenged

we are hibs
23-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Surprised their statement didnt ask uefa why hibs havent been punished for thousands of thugs running on and beating every poor rangers member of staff within sight at hampden

The Harp Awakes
23-08-2019, 01:43 PM
A disgusting club that should be shut down (again)

Correct and well said Sir/Madam.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 01:54 PM
http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/324072-punishment-from-fare/#comments

Give yourself a wash, grab a gas mask and dive in. Delusion and whatabboutery all over the shop. No one likes them but boy, they *do* care :faf::faf:

A car crash of lunatics, conspiracy theorists and unreconstructed bigots. They live in a bubble, like Donald Trump supporters: UEFA are pushing fake news and are anti-Protestant. A madhouse.

I should add, kudos to the minority who trying to knock some sense into the nutters. It's a hopeless task, but well done for trying.

Antifa Hibs
23-08-2019, 01:56 PM

We're as complicit as SFA and SPFL.

They sing the same songs at ER, probably worse ones infact as to them "we're fenian *******s" yet our board rewarded them by doubling their allocation :confused:

Alex Trager
23-08-2019, 02:23 PM
We're as complicit as SFA and SPFL.

They sing the same songs at ER, probably worse ones infact as to them "we're fenian *******s" yet our board rewarded them by doubling their allocation :confused:

If you want to hit hibs here you hit them for not wanting strict liability.

To hit them with this is nuts.

If we sell our end we take tickets off them. If we don’t. We don’t.

Money talks.

lyonhibs
23-08-2019, 02:25 PM
A car crash of lunatics, conspiracy theorists and unreconstructed bigots. They live in a bubble, like Donald Trump supporters: UEFA are pushing fake news and are anti-Protestant. A madhouse.

I should add, kudos to the minority who trying to knock some sense into the nutters. It's a hopeless task, but well done for trying.

That's a fair point although, as was once said about trying to fight back against the impending professionalism of football, it's a bit like trying to stem the flow of the Niagara Falls with a kitchen chair.

Sean1875
23-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Money talks.

This. We were told weeks in advance by the board that we would be willing to open the south stand for Hibs fans if we sold enough tickets in the traditional 3 stands - we didn't so Der Hun got the full south, only ourselves to blame for that.

Antifa Hibs
23-08-2019, 02:36 PM

Money talks.

Bingo!

That's exactly it - money talks. We'll turn a blind eye to their behaviour because they bring in so much £££. Not just Hibs, the entire league. If we really wanted to sort this clubs could reduce their allocation stating why its happened. **** me Budge was quick enough to do it with her own fans after 3 smoke bombs. However we need their cash so let them away with murder and dictate our entire league.

CloudSquall
23-08-2019, 02:45 PM
This should be getting done week in week out by the SFA followed by docking points if it didn't cut out their songbook.

Smartie
23-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Talk is cheap

Talk IS cheap.

Talk that is an unequivocal condemnation and a forthright request to cease this behaviour immediately otherwise the club is damaged might just strike a chord somewhere and allow them to sell more tickets and make more cash in future.

The opposite - a lack of talk or the usual nonsensical statement which whips the hordes up even more - is, at about £90k a pop, very expensive indeed.

Sean1875
23-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Bingo!

That's exactly it - money talks. We'll turn a blind eye to their behaviour because they bring in so much £££. Not just Hibs, the entire league. If we really wanted to sort this clubs could reduce their allocation stating why its happened. **** me Budge was quick enough to do it with her own fans after 3 smoke bombs. However we need their cash so let them away with murder and dictate our entire league.

I completely get what you mean but it shouldn't be down to us clubs to do it. The SPFL/SFA should be stepping in here and closing sections of Ibrox on the regular. Sectarian songs heard one weekend away from home, close a section of Ibrox the next weekend as punishment. Why should we have to reduce ticket sales at our own stadium and lose income and revenue because those fannys get away scott free every week?

neil7908
23-08-2019, 02:52 PM
I'd have more faith in Dave Kings statement if there was even an modicum of action taken by the club.

How much did we pay for CCTV and all that? We saw there was an issue, realised that as well as being morally wrong it hurt the club and took action when our fan behaviour became an issue.

Rather than signing 20 midfielders Sevco could have spent some money on CCTV to allow them to identify the people doing the singing.

The means are there for the club and Scottish football authorities to stop this. They just don't care.

Billy Whizz
23-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Presume the next time it happens, game will be played behind closed doors

Antifa Hibs
23-08-2019, 02:57 PM
I completely get what you mean but it shouldn't be down to us clubs to do it. The SPFL/SFA should be stepping in here and closing sections of Ibrox on the regular. Sectarian songs heard one weekend away from home, close a section of Ibrox the next weekend as punishment. Why should we have to reduce ticket sales at our own stadium and lose income and revenue because those fannys get away scott free every week?

Hearts were quick enough to do so to their own punters, why not when Rangers come calling?

When running a pub if i had group of loud obnoxious racist ****holes in annoying the locals was it my job to get rid of them, or wait for the cooncil or polis to act? Or just allow them to spout their pish as why should i lose money?

Failure to act gives them the power.

BTW I couldn't give a **** what anyone sings, sticks n stones etc. It's the double standards that winds me up.

Ozyhibby
23-08-2019, 02:57 PM

The SFA and Spfl are the clubs. It’s clubs like Hibs who are turning a blind eye to this in return for money.
How many young Hibs supporters don’t get to go to Easter road when we play them because parents don’t want their kids to hear that sort of thing? 1 is too many in my book.
Hibs should be making sure that sectarianism has no place at Easter road. They don’t though. That’s on us.

JohnMcM
23-08-2019, 02:59 PM

If you want a laugh..

I just followed that link. I couldn't believe what I was reading in terms of language, threats, abuse and sheer hateful and bloody-minded arrogance.

I hope our own Forum Moderators stand in a circle and give themselves, and each other, a jolly good pat on the back.

Three cheers for our Mods - ""Hip Hip,,,,,,,,,,"

:flag:

Onion
23-08-2019, 03:06 PM
The Rangers Board = Hypocrites

Hibs Fraggle
23-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Sevco Fans "F3nian is in no way racist blah blah blah blah....."

Also Sevco Fans "We don't like the term hun and it's use should be stamped out"

The lunacy over on that forum beggars belief :thumbsup:

mayo hibee
23-08-2019, 03:28 PM
#Rangers message to fans: If any individual supporter is unable to behave in a civilised manner then please stay away from Ibrox and our Club. You are harming Rangers and that is something a genuine supporter would never wish to do.

They'd have to close three stands.

BoomtownHibees
23-08-2019, 03:35 PM
That thread on Follow Follow is quality. Blaming everyone but themselves. Love how Celtc are getting the blame 😂

Ozyhibby
23-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Funny thing is that this will stop the singing at UEFA matches while it carries on at domestic games and everyone in Scottish football will carry on saying there is nothing we can do to stop it.[emoji23]
It’s like American and mass shootings. The solution is obvious to everyone who wants to see it.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 03:39 PM
The Rangers Board = Hypocrites

Absolutely, mate. They had no choice but to condemn the bigots amongst them, yet at the same time it's orange strips, armed forces day etc and a nod and a wink to jingoism and prejudice.

If they are going to tackle the problem seriously, they need a consistent policy of zero tolerance, not encouraging the idiots when it suits.

CathroMustStay
23-08-2019, 03:50 PM
About time the Sevconian bigots were punished for their vile deeds.

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Funny thing is that this will stop the singing at UEFA matches while it carries on at domestic games and everyone in Scottish football will carry on saying there is nothing we can do to stop it.[emoji23]
It’s like American and mass shootings. The solution is obvious to everyone who wants to see it.

Could supporters not complain to UEFA on the ground that the SFA were complicit?

Onion
23-08-2019, 04:05 PM
BREAKING NEWS

@RangersFC say they have been ordered to close a section of Ibrox for next week's Europa League qualifier v Legia Warsaw due to "racist behaviour" and "sectarian singing"

More on @SkySportsNews

The Directors Box ?

The Huns don't like it up 'em, so UEFA should prepare for a backlash and the full rendition of ditties next week.

Keith_M
23-08-2019, 04:17 PM

And yet not a word is said by the SFA or SPFL.

Oh and those in charge at Ibrox hear this every week but only bother speaking out when they get punished.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 04:18 PM
The Directors Box ?

The Huns don't like it up 'em, so UEFA should prepare for a backlash and the full rendition of ditties next week.

If they are stupid enough to sing their songs as an act of defiance, they will be hit with full stadium closure.

Onion
23-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Not convinced for 3 reasons ;
1 they're a nasty, bigotted, entitled lot that don't take kindly to being put in their place and
2 it would prove they can restrain themselves when motivated to do so (take note SFA) and
3 what would they sing about when Stevie G asks for a red hot atmosphere ? They'll be as neutered as the Yams post May 2016.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2019, 04:29 PM
'The SFA have declined to comment'.

Probably because some of the people asked for comment were in the front row giving it laldy when the 'minority' were singing their songs. You don't get to twirl the stick at the parade if you talk down Rangers.

RyeSloan
23-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Gerard’s quote regarding ‘we have a reputation for having the best fans in the world’ make me laugh out loud.

Where do they get that impression from?

The Modfather
23-08-2019, 04:34 PM
'The SFA have declined to comment'.

Probably because some of the people asked for comment were in the front row giving it laldy when the 'minority' were singing their songs. You don't get to twirl the stick at the parade if you talk down Rangers.

A new president at the SFA, but it would appear a case of “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”

HoboHarry
23-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Gerard’s quote regarding ‘we have a reputation for having the best fans in the world’ make me laugh out loud.

Aye anyone who lives in Manchester will agree with that......

HoboHarry
23-08-2019, 04:37 PM
I didn't watch the game against Legia last night but I was wondering if the songbook got the usual airing? Maybe another punishment to follow close behind?

04Sauzee
23-08-2019, 04:43 PM
This is a belter 😂😂 they think they kept their club alive 🤣

This is a ****ing travesty. And the Club will as usual roll over and accept it.

Throwing the fans who kept the Club alive under the bus again.

Songs are soooo bad and hurtful it seems

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 04:45 PM

He actually said that??

https://ugc.kn3.net/i/760x/http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FIByopvD274/U1AUfe3IIzI/AAAAAAAAOAU/6qa6I0rLRss/s1600/wtf.gif

ancient hibee
23-08-2019, 04:47 PM
The

But the SFA/SPFL don’t have the power to do that.Why is that?Because they are the clubs and the clubs are not going to bring in any rules that have ground closure as one of the sanctions.All this criticism of the “authorities “is a waste of time
The clubs ARE the authorities.

Since452
23-08-2019, 04:49 PM
The Stand My Father Closed

bigwheel
23-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Top notch that [emoji119][emoji119][emoji119]

HoboHarry
23-08-2019, 04:50 PM
He actually said that??

https://ugc.kn3.net/i/760x/http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FIByopvD274/U1AUfe3IIzI/AAAAAAAAOAU/6qa6I0rLRss/s1600/wtf.gif

Apparently he dd.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49451649

Onion
23-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Where are the Peepul ?

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Let’s hope Hearts don’t get into Europe then

Then again...maybes aye! 😁

RoYO!
23-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Well done UEFA. Action- rather than doing SFA...

RyeSloan
23-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Apparently he dd.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49451649

Must have been thinking of these ones when he was saying it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190823/a204787aaf87d2c36887f46d32ebbd1a.jpg

we are hibs
23-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Did anyone just see those huns on stv news? Good lord.

Apparently rangers shouldnt have part of a ground closed cause "theyre a pure massive club n its european fitba" in one of those horrendously tedious weegie accents

Iggy Pope
23-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Has there been demand yet for the faceless UEFA fenians to be named so the whereabouts of their windaes can be determined?

bigwheel
23-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Has there been demand yet for the faceless UEFA fenians to be named so the whereabouts of their windaes can be determined?

A little. Apparently it was our ex director Gary O’Hagan who was the UEFA observer who reported it...

Billy Whizz
23-08-2019, 05:19 PM
A little. Apparently it was our ex director Gary O’Hagan who was the UEFA observer who reported it...

Well done Gary

Glory Lurker
23-08-2019, 05:22 PM
The game was sold out!

Moulin Yarns
23-08-2019, 05:23 PM
The game was sold out!

And the innocent 3,000 fans will have to watch on the telly box

chrisski33
23-08-2019, 05:27 PM
About time the sfa tooke action too.....but wait they are too scared to

Pretty Boy
23-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Gary O'Hagan eh? O'Hagan? O'?

Pure Feenyin conspiracy an that bud by the way.

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2019, 05:39 PM
BBC Scotland reporting The Rangers paying the price for the behaviour of SOME of their fans?????

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 05:39 PM

They will go berserk :faf:

CloudSquall
23-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Taigs cannae help thumselves.

#followfollow

Joe6-2
23-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Minority 😂😂😂

Hibs4185
23-08-2019, 05:57 PM
And the innocent 3,000 fans will have to watch on the telly box

Or storm the gates and get in anyway

Since452
23-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Or storm the gates and get in anyway

They'd just get themselves trapped outside

Jim44
23-08-2019, 06:20 PM
On a point of vague interest, what happens to the folk who have bought tickets in the parts of the stadium that’s going to be closed?

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 06:22 PM
On a point of vague interest, what happens to the folk who have bought tickets in the parts of the stadium that’s going to be closed?

Rangers will either refund them or say hard lines, nae refunds. It's up to them.

Topographic Hibby
23-08-2019, 06:23 PM
How is it a UEFA match delegate can hear sectarian singing at a midweek Euro tie, but when the exact same songbook is sung on a Saturday/Sunday, the entirety of the Police Scotland, the SPFL, the SFA and the match officials on duty are suddenly deaf to it?

#pardon #didnthearathing

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 06:27 PM
How is it a UEFA match delegate can hear sectarian singing at a midweek Euro tie, but when the exact same songbook is sung on a Saturday/Sunday, the entirety of the Police Scotland, the SPFL, the SFA and the match officials on duty are suddenly deaf to it?

#pardon #didnthearathing

Strict liability. In UEFA competitions clubs are held directly responsible for the behaviour of fans, something which isn't in operation in the domestic game. THE SFL/SFA should bring it in; pleading with the bigots to stop will never work.

Jim44
23-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Rob McLean apologising to TV viewers for the bad language picked up from the spectators. Never a word of apology for the vile chanting of ugly sister supporters. You get the impression they are frightened to comment on sectarian singing. You never know, they might actually enjoy it.

Keith_M
23-08-2019, 06:41 PM

#pardon #didnthearathing

From the horses mouth (well, a police inspector outside Govan Underground).

"How are we supposed to arrest 50,000 people?"

Topographic Hibby
23-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Strict liability. In UEFA competitions clubs are held directly responsible for the behaviour of fans, something which isn't in operation in the domestic game. THE SFL/SFA should bring it in; pleading with the bigots to stop will never work.Which just makes a mockery of the whole thing with regard to the merits of Strict Liability in the domestic game.

UEFA game > sectarian singing > UEFA issues sanction(s) > singing stops or club ejected (same effect)

SFA game > sectarian singing > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues >SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues ......(ie current situation we endure today)

Makes the case for Strict Liability in Scotland compelling.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2019, 06:55 PM

I thought Garry had stepped in to a club role at Killie recently.
Are you sure he was the delegate?

Onion
23-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Ask the Chinese :wink:

Jim44
23-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Which just makes a mockery of the whole thing with regard to the merits of Strict Liability in the domestic game.

UEFA game > sectarian singing > UEFA issues sanction(s) > singing stops or club ejected (same effect)

SFA game > sectarian singing > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues >SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues > SFA do nothing > sectarian singing continues ......(ie current situation we endure today)

Ok, strict liability protects the clubs from any punishment and so it continues with nothing really being said about it. How about the TV companies, instead of shrinking away from the issue, turn their microphones to full volume on the muppet chanting and shame the clubs and authorities into growing a pair and taking steps to deal with it. At the end of the day, however, the truth is that bigotry and sectarianism is the lifeblood of both teams and the football authorities bow to it and, perversely, see it as a strength in the Scottish game. Celtic and Sevco without bigotry is bad box office for the Scottish game in their eyes.

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 07:15 PM

It’s a fair point though.

I don’t even know how rangers can stop it. They can’t ban their whole fan base, can they?

The only solution that I see would be a points deduction but even that would be a nightmare to enforce.

In an ideal world, what do we want the SFA or SPFL to do about it?

Fife-Hibee
23-08-2019, 07:15 PM
We used to have a law in Scotland that punished fans for sectarian singing, or at least acted as a deterrent towards it. Until one particular group of people (heavily reliant on the support of bigots) did everything they could to repeal it.

Now this is where we are.

HoboHarry
23-08-2019, 07:26 PM

I don’t even know how rangers can stop it. They can’t ban their whole fan base, can they?

The only solution that I see would be a points deduction but even that would be a nightmare to enforce.

Make them play behind closed doors. It would only have to happen once or twice, sevco would start self policing due to the lost revenue.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2019, 07:31 PM

:faf: I really hope this is true.

bigwheel
23-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Are you sure he was the delegate?

Yes. He has dual roles ....

crash
23-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Make them play behind closed doors. It would only have to happen once or twice, sevco would start self policing due to the lost revenue.

Money lost to the game in that case. Better to fine them entire gate receipts and give money to grass roots football.

Sylar
23-08-2019, 07:41 PM
I've no idea if their songbook got an airing or not last night - such was the cacophonous atmosphere the Legia fans created inside their ground. It was quite something to behold!

kaimendhibs
23-08-2019, 07:48 PM
SFA and SPFL should be ashamed. They are complicit

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 07:51 PM

That’s probably as good a way as any.

Here’s another thought though.

Where do we draw the line and who draws it?

“Oh the Hibees are gay”

”Scatchel’s a .....”

Mercer...

We could end up fighting over the singing in the stands more than watching the football.

Motherwell fans would find something offensive about songs Hamilton fans sing and so on.

I know I’m hugely in the minority here but I don’t think it’s as black and white as some people think.

ancient hibee
23-08-2019, 07:53 PM
We
Which just makes a mockery of the whole thing with regard to the merits of Strict Liability in the domestic game.

Chances of the clubs bringing that in? Zero.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Can't this just be solved by BT and SKY turning the volume down when they start singing then getting the BBC to swiftly follow it up with a positive story about the "atmosphere" whilst not mentioning the legally banned hate stuff, however inconvenient?

Well played the European regulators.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

ginger_rice
23-08-2019, 07:58 PM
If Rangers are serious about stopping this behaviour they could start by not having Orange 3rd strips, banning those supporters who wear King Billy scarves, having the street vendors who peddle this stuff moved on by the police, and closing the section where the Vanguard Bears congregate. And in the interests of balance Celtic should be made to do the same with the Green Brigade.

Topographic Hibby
23-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Are you sure he was the delegate?Turns out the UEFA delegate was Norwegian. Gary O’Hagan was there in a learning/trainee capacity.

http://law5-theref.blogspot.com/2019/07/europa-league-201920-first-qualifying_15.html

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 08:10 PM

You don't you arrest 20 publicise it then arrest another 20 the next week.

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Highlight that the club will be punished. The club ask the fans to desist and if they don't ban them.

Killiehibbie
23-08-2019, 08:17 PM
You don't you arrest 20 publicise it then arrest another 20 the next week.

They don't even need to wade in to the crowd. Film, identify then round them up at home early one morning.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2019, 08:18 PM
You don't you arrest 20 publicise it then arrest another 20 the next week.Easy peasy, if they can put all that time and effort into chasing down dodgy images of exuberant hibbies, even plod Glasgow's elite find the elephant in a phone box squad should be able to whizz a camera round Ibrox and capture 40,000 or so purple faces with their eyes popping out their heads singing the banned songs.

If there was a will, there's definitely a way.

1875-Hibernia
23-08-2019, 08:26 PM

“Oh the Hibees are gay”

”Scatchel’s a .....”

Mercer...

We could end up fighting over the singing in the stands more than watching the football.

Motherwell fans would find something offensive about songs Hamilton fans sing and so on.

I know I’m hugely in the minority here but I don’t think it’s as black and white as some people think.

You’ve used three very good, yet different examples. General perception though, is if it’s not the Glasgow two it’s not offensive.

I think there’s an element of jealousy from rest of league for the two clubs and that plays a part in where people become offended. Personally I’ve no issues with most songs being sung in the pubs/stands. Never liked the Skacel one though, it reeks of ignorance. I understand The Rangers songs about Fenians causing offence, but that’s more my hatred for the Orange Walk.

I wouldn’t want to see all songs stop and there lies the issue of who is offended by what and how the powers that be determine what is offensive or not for disciplinary action!

Rumble de Thump
23-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Sevco launched an orange third strip last season because the people running the club wanted to make money from its bigoted supporters. The owners of Rangers and Sevco have made vast sums of money from bigotry over the years.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-08-2019, 08:37 PM
I don't think that Gerrard will have any real impact with his comments. The football is not the reason that this effluent gathers every other Saturday in Govan.

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Here’s a thought.

If it’s too difficult to make the singing illegal or policing it, make it illegal to broadcast it.

Sky and the Beeb etc would either have to use loads of bleeps and explain why to their viewers and listeners or they’d very quickly be telling the clubs to sort it out.

They bleep out offensive song lyrics no problem so it could easily be done.

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Easy peasy, if they can put all that time and effort into chasing down dodgy images of exuberant hibbies, even plod Glasgow's elite find the elephant in a phone box squad should be able to whizz a camera round Ibrox and capture 40,000 or so purple faces with their eyes popping out their heads singing the banned songs.

If there was a will, there's definitely a way.

Can remember the same day the Hibs fan got done for racist comment caught on tv at end of Derby game just after xmas. Same day end of the old firm game there was a similar close up of a rangers fan clearly mouthing an obviously sectarian song, nothing at all said. Contrast between the two incidents was frightening.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Here’s a thought.

If it’s too difficult to make the singing illegal or policing it, make it illegal to broadcast it.

Sky and the Beeb etc would either have to use loads of bleeps and explain why to their viewers and listeners or they’d very quickly be telling the clubs to sort it out.

They bleep out offensive song lyrics no problem so it could easily be done.

I've said for years that every time there's a dodgy song sung, the commentators should be saying "I'm sorry but due to the unacceptable conduct of the supporters, we're having to temporarily suspend the broadcasting of this match." Then they should go back to the studio or an advert break until it stops.

The TV companies would soon get fed up with that.

The commentators regularly apologise when bad language can be heard over the microphones but there's complete silence when sectarian songs are sung.

tonyrougier123
23-08-2019, 09:37 PM
If they qualify for the group stages hopefully they will be playing in front of more referees than supporters.
Its high time somebody done something about that nonsense they spout.

jakedance
23-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Sevco launched an orange third strip last season because the people running the club wanted to make money from its bigoted supporters. The owners of Rangers and Sevco have made vast sums of money from bigotry over the years.

Don’t forget the third kit with a sash the same year. They weren’t even subtle about.

What this thread proves is that there are loads of things Rangers, the SFA, the broadcasters and the authorities could do about bigotry but none of them want to do it.

Lancs Harp
23-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Have they blamed us yet?

neil7908
23-08-2019, 10:11 PM
You’ve used three very good, yet different examples. General perception though, is if it’s not the Glasgow two it’s not offensive.

I think there’s an element of jealousy from rest of league for the two clubs and that plays a part in where people become offended. Personally I’ve no issues with most songs being sung in the pubs/stands. Never liked the Skacel one though, it reeks of ignorance. I understand The Rangers songs about Fenians causing offence, but that’s more my hatred for the Orange Walk.

I wouldn’t want to see all songs stop and there lies the issue of who is offended by what and how the powers that be determine what is offensive or not for disciplinary action!

It's pretty simple for me. Offense doesn't come into it. There are laws covering racism, homophobia etc that are prosecuted every day in the courts. Why should being in an football stadium invalidate these? There is no law against calling someone an f***ing idiot. Bit throw in a racial slur and you have a problem. Outside a stadium police, courts and employers deal with this all the time - why can't these laws be enforced at Ibrox, Celtic Park or Easter Road?

And for what it's worth any Hibs fan singing the Skacel song should be nowhere near Easter Road.

monktonharp
23-08-2019, 10:40 PM
BREAKING NEWS

“Rangers has players & supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds, but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club. If any supporter can not accept that then Rangers is not the club for them.”wow, suddenly they went multicultural. when did this officially happen?

monktonharp
23-08-2019, 10:42 PM
maybe he should have inserted, as long as yer no a Cafflik! .

monktonharp
23-08-2019, 10:44 PM

“Oh the Hibees are gay”

”Scatchel’s a .....”

Mercer...

I know I’m hugely in the minority here but I don’t think it’s as black and white as some people think.there's always a grey area

monktonharp
23-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Here’s a thought.

They bleep out offensive song lyrics no problem so it could easily be done.the bbc in particular have bee using a system for years by diffusing the volume when naughty songs are sung during their broadcasts. get wi the programme man, it's been going on for many years

One Day In Time
23-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Good for UEFA. Not often I’ll say that. Puts the SFA to shame. Scotland’s shame along with the other butt cheeks.

Hope the knuckle draggers keep doing what they do

FilipinoHibs
23-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Good to see UEFA lumping sectarianism in with racism. Preseeure in SFA to act. Not just Ibrix but Tynecastle.

monktonharp
23-08-2019, 11:57 PM
we have all waited with baited breath, for the eventual action(s) from the authourities regarding racial and religious bigoted songs in Scottish /euro games. this looks like a start. next,, the Scottish government and police Scotland need to do more. imho, lower the amount of visiting fans from clubs that are known to perputate these offences. put them into areas that can be monitored properly and measured as to what they are actually doing. we all know what they are singing, so reduce the numbers gradually and call them to account by arresting the main culprits or at least reduce their chance of not being spotted

One Day In Time
24-08-2019, 12:23 AM
we have all waited with baited breath, for the eventual action(s) from the authourities regarding racial and religious bigoted songs in Scottish /euro games. this looks like a start. next,, the Scottish government and police Scotland need to do more. imho, lower the amount of visiting fans from clubs that are known to perputate these offences. put them into areas that can be monitored properly and measured as to what they are actually doing. we all know what they are singing, so reduce the numbers gradually and call them to account by arresting the main culprits or at least reduce their chance of not being spotted

Couldn’t agree more. Clubs need to cut their allocations to the bare minimum. I think we all probably know folks who won’t go to the game when the Uglies are in town

madhibby70
24-08-2019, 12:29 AM
The Scottish FA and Scottish Professional Football League have declined to comment.

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 12:53 AM

If you go onto the Rangers twitter account you will find quite a few decent Rangers supporters getting fired into the bigots.
You can feel their utter utter frustration but the bigots just can't or won't accept it and chime back with abuse or whataboutary

The great thing about UEFA is that the European tournaments that all clubs aspire to are theirs so no bull **** and appeals etc holds any sway. Just their way or the highway. The bigots and thicko's are struggling with this big time, slavering about appeals and conspiracy.

P.S. The twitter arguments above reminded me of flag debates on here.

NASAHIBS
24-08-2019, 01:08 AM
UEFA have grown a pair of balls, while the SPL and SFA have had the chance and not dealt with it for years. Honestly how this leads to something major🤣🤣

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 01:15 AM
The Scottish FA and Scottish Professional Football League have declined to comment.

Of course not.
It's nothing to do with them.
UEFA's tournament, UEFA's rules, UEFA's punishments.

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 01:17 AM
UEFA have grown a pair of balls, while the SPL and SFA have had the chance and not dealt with it for years. Honestly how this leads to something major����

The clubs have seen to it that there is no strict liability so nothing those organisations can do.
Only the clubs can change things and them turkeys don't want Christmas.

Strict liability would have seen Hibs screwed to the wall over the 2016 Cup Final.
We scored big time on that occasion.

HIGHLANDLEITHER
24-08-2019, 04:43 AM

Every year the SFA etc ask fans to get behind Show Racism the Red Card. UEFA have clearly categorised sectarian singing as Racism.
The SFA etc cannot be allowed to refuse to comment.

FilipinoHibs
24-08-2019, 06:03 AM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17858315.alison-mcconnell-uefa-set-tone-rangers-time-sfa-spfl-follow-suit/

Glory Lurker
24-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Strict liability would have seen Hibs screwed to the wall over the 2016 Cup Final.
We scored big time on that occasion.

Reading the posts about strict liability I was thinking just this. I hate to think how that would have played out. Then again if we'd had strict liability maybe it wouldn't have happened because the very existence of the rule would maybe change behaviour?

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 07:47 AM

It's true that you can't arrest 50,000 people. However, the police could raise this an issue with the government whenever it occurs, the same as they would about any other large groups making offensive chants, e.g. if the NF or EDL were using racist slogans.

I think the SFA should follow the example of UEFA and start enforcing the closure of parts of the stadium. If it continued, just increase the size of the area being closed for each subsequent event.

That's the only thing those in charge at Ibrox would pay attention to... money.

WhileTheChief..
24-08-2019, 07:52 AM
The Herald article above is a decent summary of the situation.

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 07:55 AM
The Herald article above is a decent summary of the situation.

Very much so, and I have to admit to being surprised that they dared to print such an honest article.

They have history of giving in to that Club and sacking writers.

B.H.F.C
24-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Great quote from Gerrard.

“I don’t know how many people are involved in this but I guarantee it won’t be 3,000”

Correct Stevie, multiply it by 15 and you might have a more accurate number. The delusion that it’s a ‘minority’ is hilarious.

Carheenlea
24-08-2019, 08:15 AM
As much as we like to stick the boot in to Rangers, it is encouraging to hear Steven Gerard and Dave King speak out and accept that they have a problem that needs to be addressed. They do genuinely appear to be sick of the sectarian element in their support. The problem they face though is not a small one than be extinguished easily - the majority of their fans engage and embrace sectarian culture. Yes, many will embrace this only on match days and can live the rest of the week as respectable citizens, but those 90 minute bigots are as much to blame, and arguably more to blame for this than the smaller number of hardcore bigots who embrace the culture 24/7 who could be easier managed in isolation.

B.H.F.C
24-08-2019, 08:18 AM
As much as we like to stick the boot in to Rangers, it is encouraging to hear Steven Gerard and Dave King speak out and accept that they have a problem that needs to be addressed. They do genuinely appear to be sick of the sectarian element in their support. The problem they face though is not a small one than be extinguished easily - the majority of their fans engage and embrace sectarian culture. Yes, many will embrace this only on match days and can live the rest of the week as respectable citizens, but those 90 minute bigots are as much to blame, and arguably more to blame for this than the smaller number of hardcore bigots who embrace the culture 24/7 who could be easier managed in isolation.

They don’t give a s*** about the problem, only the fact that they are being punished for it.

Fuzzywuzzy
24-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Reading bear's den on this is nothing short of embarrassing and the reason that this will never leave Scottish society.

CraigHibee
24-08-2019, 08:35 AM
They don’t give a s*** about the problem, only the fact that they are being punished for it.

100%, UEFA doing what the SPFL can't/won't do

pleasing however, the majority of sevconian's are adopting the "it wasnae me big man" attitude, hell mend them, i'm sure the vast majority of them have taken part in "the little harmless ditties" before

neil7908
24-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Great quote from Gerrard.

“I don’t know how many people are involved in this but I guarantee it won’t be 3,000”

Correct Stevie, multiply it by 15 and you might have a more accurate number. The delusion that it’s a ‘minority’ is hilarious.

I was just about to post the same. It's funny really, in the same article he talks about not understanding how bad the problem was before coming up here so you start thinking, OK maybe we'll get some sensible comments soon.

And there is plenty of condemnation and nice soundbites for the media. And then he says that. Which is absolute head in the sand, nothing to see here nonsense.

Every article you hear has the word "minority" about 4 times. I'm not sure if half the fans at Ibrox really counts as a minority. If they genuinely want to take this stuff seriously they need to face up to the scale of the problem and then start taking steps themselves.

As another poster mentioned, if they themselves put the resources into identifying culprits and banned even 20 of them every week the penny would drop. But they don't have any desire to take real action. How much did we spend on CCTV? Rather than signing about 400 midfielders this summer they could have put cash towards self policing. It would be a drop in the ocean compared with their budget.

Paisley Hibby
24-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Reading bear's den on this is nothing short of embarrassing and the reason that this will never leave Scottish society.

What's bear's den?? Honest question, I've really no idea.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2019, 08:52 AM

The Sevco version of Hibs.net.

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 09:00 AM
The Sevco version of Hibs.net.

You're stretching that definition a tad.

Fuzzywuzzy
24-08-2019, 09:05 AM

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/forum/1-the-bears-den/

Great insight into the level below Neanderthal

Deansy
24-08-2019, 09:22 AM

It's also a great anti-depressant - anyone pissed-off with life just has to spend 5 mins over there and instantly their load will be lightened !.

ancient hibee
24-08-2019, 09:42 AM
It's true that you can't arrest 50,000 people. However, the police could raise this an issue with the government whenever it occurs, the same as they would about any other large groups making offensive chants, e.g. if the NF or EDL were using racist slogans.

I think the SFA should follow the example of UEFA and start enforcing the closure of parts of the stadium. If it continued, just increase the size of the area being closed for each subsequent event.

Before the SFA can do that it would have to be allowed as a punishment in the rule book.As the clubs will not agree to that the SFA (who are the clubs)can do nothing.For the umpteenth time it is up to the clubs and they will do nothing.

DarlingtonHibee
24-08-2019, 10:04 AM
I have every faith in Petrie to be the man needed to reform the SFA and in no way see him as a dinosaur that feeds at the same trough as all the others that are a problem at the SFA 👀....

My worry is that he'll ask leeann to sort it out.

where'stheslope
24-08-2019, 10:12 AM

The problem with that is, the uglies always manage to secure tickets for the home supporters ends!
If any singing is heard from home areas, you are liable for action to be taken.
Look at how many fans have been arrested for anything sectarian, you'll find they are mostly from support from teams outwith the uglies!!
Strange, but true!!!!!

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 10:39 AM
If you go onto the Rangers twitter account you will find quite a few decent Rangers supporters getting fired into the bigots.
You can feel their utter utter frustration but the bigots just can't or won't accept it and chime back with abuse or whataboutary

The great thing about UEFA is that the European tournaments that all clubs aspire to are theirs so no bull **** and appeals etc holds any sway. Just their way or the highway. The bigots and thicko's are struggling with this big time, slavering about appeals and conspiracy.

P.S. The twitter arguments above reminded me of flag debates on here.

I've always contended that there is no such thing as a decent Rangers supporter. Why do these so-called decent supporters follow Rangers? Let's not kid ourselves here. Bigotry, racism and anti-Irish sentiments are ingrained into the club. Every person who supports Rangers knows this. It's in plain site. Moreover, they each have a choice. They can support the club and by doing so continue to prop up an institutionally bigoted and racist organisation or they can go elsewhere and support another team.

In one sense I actually have more time for the bigots who proclaim their bigotry than I have for the 'decent' Rangers supporters who pop up now and then to tell us how disgusted and appalled they are at the behaviour of the 'minority'. They just come across as hypocrites. In truth neither group is doing anything to change matters.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2019, 10:42 AM
You can almost guarantee that when the rules are eventually changed a "wee" team will get hammered before any action is taken against The OF.

Since452
24-08-2019, 10:45 AM
I've always contended that there is no such thing as a decent Rangers supporter. Why do these so-called decent supporters follow Rangers? Let's not kid ourselves here. Bigotry, racism and anti-Irish sentiments are ingrained into the club. Every person who supports Rangers knows this. It's in plain site. Moreover, they each have a choice. They can support the club and by doing so continue to prop up an institutionally bigoted and racist organisation or they can go elsewhere and support another team.

In one sense I actually have more time for the bigots who proclaim their bigotry than I have for the 'decent' Rangers supporters who pop up now and then to tell us how disgusted and appalled they are at the behaviour of the 'minority'. They just come across as hypocrites. In truth neither group is doing anything to change matters.

Soon as someone i meet for the first time tells me they're a Rangers fan i form a negative opinion about them. I just can't fathom how anyone would want to associate themselves with the sectarianism/bigotry whatever you want to call it.

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Correct.

FilipinoHibs
24-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Soon as someone i meet for the first time tells me they're a Rangers fan i form a negative opinion about them. I just can't fathom how anyone would want to associate themselves with the sectarianism/bigotry whatever you want to call it.

Most are brought up in Rangers supporting commmunities/families. As they grow up they leave the sectarianism behind but still support Rangers. I have actually found them to be more honest about their team's performances than Celtic fans. The latter always complain of being unlucky or conspired against if things go badly.

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 10:57 AM

I'm the same. What kind of values does someone hold to who chooses to support an institution that promotes bigotry and racism from its very core.

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 10:59 AM
A leverage Rangers have now is that they apparently have a waiting list for season tickets.
This allows them to bucket scroat fans and bring in new guys with no loss of revenue.
Could even vet the new season ticket holders so they don't just get new scroats.

They should get right on it with the CCTV and social media then publicise what they are doing.
No need for criminal law levels of evidence.
Simply identify those that they perceive as being part of the problem and inform the numpties they are persona no grata

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Most are brought up in Rangers supporting commmunities/families. As they grow up they leave the sectarianism behind but still support Rangers. I have actually found them to be more honest about their team's performances than Celtic fans. The latter always complain of being unlucky or conspired against if things go badly.

Sorry, that doesn't wash with me. Like us all, they have a choice.

BoomtownHibees
24-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Do you think the leaders at the club are just big Holland fans, hence the orange strips, or massive Tina Turner fans who just enjoy listening to her singing Simply the Best? No, they play to the masses and will continue to do so whilst there is money to be made.

Ozyhibby
24-08-2019, 11:09 AM

To be fair, Celtic fans paranoia turned out to be well founded after the Jorge Cadette affair and the the awarding of a Euro license in 2011 and the Nimmo Smith report in 2013.

CMurdoch
24-08-2019, 11:24 AM
I'm the same. What kind of values does someone hold to who chooses to support an institution that promotes bigotry and racism from its very core.

I live a mile from Easter Road.
There was no real choice on which team to support.
Most boys love football as a kid and choose a team to support. Non football related stuff plays no part in that choice. Then they are stuck with that team for life come hell or high water.

I hate to break this to you but our own club makes decisions for financial rather than moral reasons. Hence swathes of Rangers and Celtic fans invited to Easter Road every season despite their shenanigans.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2019, 11:27 AM

If this was a site that was anti muslim, or anti black, not sure if i'm allowed to say that these days, it could have been changed i can't keep up?

It would be shut down surely, or those spouting that bile would be found and punished. Why is something so clearly abusive and sectarian allowed to go freely about their business without any fear at all?

Smartie
24-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Do Rangers really still do that though?

From the scenes following the signing of Mo Johnston you now don't bat an eyelid when players of any religion play for Rangers - catholic, muslim or whatever. Regardless what the motivations were (in all likelihood we all know it is to avoid future financial penalties rather than the goodness of the heart) King's messages are spot on and very welcome. We all s******ed a bit when they had their "inclusivity" stuff going on over the summer but deep down, knowing where they've come from it is welcome even if it rings a bit hollow.

The way Rangers whip up their hordes with ill thought out statements in the heat of the moment is not to my liking at all. I couldn't give two hoots what colour their away strip is (but then again, I am in the very loosest sense possible a protestant myself, even if I have no desire to march along roads or object to anyone following whichever faith they like).

I strongly object to the acceptance of sectarian singing in their stadium and what some of our recent managers have been subjected to there.

A lot of the stuff that is said on the likes of Rangers Media and Follow Follow is appalling and tbh I'm grateful I support a club and post on a forum where the moderators don't tolerate aggression of that kind. I've been known to pop on for a look over the years and it's just depressing that there are people like that out there.

I'm more concerned about Hibs' quiet acceptance of it in our home ground and the casual acceptance of unacceptable conduct throughout Scottish society in general. It's the 21st century FFS, why should we really care about other people having a few different lines in their hymns, slightly different thoughts on abortion and divorce etc?

If we genuinely want it to stop, we can stamp it out immediately. Too many people don't.

Cataplana
24-08-2019, 12:02 PM
You have to admire their restraint.

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Before the SFA can do that it would have to be allowed as a punishment in the rule book.As the clubs will not agree to that the SFA (who are the clubs)can do nothing.For the umpteenth time it is up to the clubs and they will do nothing.

Which is quite sad, really

I'm torn when it comes to reducing their allocation for ER. I can understand that Hibs need the money but I'd love to be able to give them a really small number of tickets.

Moulin Yarns
24-08-2019, 12:19 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49449627

Moulin Yarns
24-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Dodds on Sportsound trying to defend the orange strip. Aye, it's a tribute to the Dutch players of the most successful era.

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 01:36 PM
I live a mile from Easter Road.
There was no real choice on which team to support.
Most boys love football as a kid and choose a team to support. Non football related stuff plays no part in that choice. Then they are stuck with that team for life come hell or high water.

I hate to break this to you but our own club makes decisions for financial rather than moral reasons. Hence swathes of Rangers and Celtic fans invited to Easter Road every season despite their shenanigans.

I know loads of people who now support teams different to the ones they supported when they were kids -- some of them once supported Rangers.

As I said elsewhere, life consists of making choices. Whatever way you look at it 'decent' Rangers supporters prop up a club that is institutionally bigoted and racist. They choose to do so. For me, they are indistinguishable from your Orange-Order-marching, King-Billy-tattooed knucklehead getting off the ferry from Larne.

Your second paragraph is immaterial, but thanks for enlightening me.

MSK
24-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Dodds on Sportsound trying to defend the orange strip. Aye, it's a tribute to the Dutch players of the most successful era.Aye, and the strips with the sash over the chest are a tribute to ...🤔

Jones28
24-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Dodds on Sportsound trying to defend the orange strip. Aye, it's a tribute to the Dutch players of the most successful era.

Derek Ferguson as well, pathetic stuff. I usually like Ferguson but that was embarrassing. Blatantly pretending he felt there was no link between orange kits and sectarianism.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Mikey Stewart absolutely tearing him and Ferguson apart about that. Say what you like about him he's spot on and not afraid to say what the other BBC types are too scared to.

Tomsk
24-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Do Rangers really still do that though?

From the scenes following the signing of Mo Johnston you now don't bat an eyelid when players of any religion play for Rangers - catholic, muslim or whatever. Regardless what the motivations were (in all likelihood we all know it is to avoid future financial penalties rather than the goodness of the heart) King's messages are spot on and very welcome. We all s******ed a bit when they had their "inclusivity" stuff going on over the summer but deep down, knowing where they've come from it is welcome even if it rings a bit hollow.

The way Rangers whip up their hordes with ill thought out statements in the heat of the moment is not to my liking at all. I couldn't give two hoots what colour their away strip is (but then again, I am in the very loosest sense possible a protestant myself, even if I have no desire to march along roads or object to anyone following whichever faith they like).

I strongly object to the acceptance of sectarian singing in their stadium and what some of our recent managers have been subjected to there.

A lot of the stuff that is said on the likes of Rangers Media and Follow Follow is appalling and tbh I'm grateful I support a club and post on a forum where the moderators don't tolerate aggression of that kind. I've been known to pop on for a look over the years and it's just depressing that there are people like that out there.

I'm more concerned about Hibs' quiet acceptance of it in our home ground and the casual acceptance of unacceptable conduct throughout Scottish society in general. It's the 21st century FFS, why should we really care about other people having a few different lines in their hymns, slightly different thoughts on abortion and divorce etc?

If we genuinely want it to stop, we can stamp it out immediately. Too many people don't.

A lot of good points, especially the last para.

But as long back in time as I can recall Rangers have made official statements condemning sectarianism and promoting inclusion - Willie Waddell was coming out with this sort of cant forty-odd years ago. It was empty rhetoric then. It's empty rhetoric now. Rangers have a brand. And they do nothing to dispel it. It is designed to attract the support of exactly the type of people that you find so depressing.

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2019, 01:53 PM
what did Mikey Stewart say, hopefully will be followed up with others sticking the boot into der hun

DarlingtonHibee
24-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Derek Ferguson as well, pathetic stuff. I usually like Ferguson but that was embarrassing. Blatantly pretending he felt there was no link between orange kits and sectarianism.

Two ignorant pundits and bigots, should have their contracts ripped up from the bbc.

Peevemor
24-08-2019, 03:42 PM

In one sense I actually have more time for the bigots who proclaim their bigotry than I have for the 'decent' Rangers supporters who pop up now and then to tell us how disgusted and appalled they are at the behaviour of the 'minority'. They just come across as hypocrites. In truth neither group is doing anything to change matters.I know a few Rangers supporters who are good guys, including a Glaswegian (living in Edinburgh) who often goes to ER with Hibs supporting mates if he's at a loose end.

gaz1875
24-08-2019, 07:46 PM

I think he even said do we complain about other teams wearing orange strips!! LMFAO the other teams that wear orage strips have so because that's their team colours you ****ing biggot. :faf:

gaz1875
24-08-2019, 07:48 PM
what did Mikey Stewart say, hopefully will be followed up with others sticking the boot into der hun

He said how many dutch players are in the current team haha

heretoday
24-08-2019, 08:06 PM

The Rangers are past masters at the "butter wouldn't melt" response. Crowd of messuns.

Carheenlea
25-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Infiltrators at work

https://i.postimg.cc/x13qMXg9/DFBBF0-A4-EE1-E-423-C-9-B21-F1356-E695417.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BjtqGQdz)

:lolrangers: