PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Hibs Midfield

Keith_M
22-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Just read Anthony Brown's views on Hibs Midfield in the Evening News (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/analysis-why-hibs-can-t-afford-to-get-caught-in-the-middle-1-4988519) and thought it was worth sharing.

Seems to have the same viewpoint as quite a few Fans.

The Spaceman
22-08-2019, 06:42 PM
We have talented midfielders, but not a great mixture/balance. Think there is a lot more to come from Josh Vela though.

Kato
22-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Just read Anthony Brown's views on Hibs Midfield in the Evening News (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/analysis-why-hibs-can-t-afford-to-get-caught-in-the-middle-1-4988519) and thought it was worth sharing.

The "replacing John McGinn" with a good blend has been theme for team since we became John McGinnless.

Dmas
22-08-2019, 07:08 PM
We have talented midfielders, but not a great mixture/balance. Think there is a lot more to come from Josh Vela though.

I think so too don’t think he got much game time last season maybe just a case of dusting off the cobwebs to get going again

jacomo
22-08-2019, 09:21 PM
It’s an interesting article rendered near unreadable by that awful website, and it raises a few points:

1) If Slivka is being ear marked for the deeper lying role he plays for his country then that can only be a good thing. But he has to seize his chance (something he has failed to do so far) and Hecky has to show faith in him
2) Newell is also a midfielder, not the left sided winger we needed.
3) At the moment, letting Milligan go looks like a slightly reckless move. I don’t think he was amazing for us but he could do a job, and I can well believe he was a very good influence on the dressing room.

Franck Stanton
22-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Could be wrong, but think the decision to release Milligan was because Club expected Ojo to sign up.

CMurdoch
22-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Could be wrong, but think the decision to release Milligan was because Club expected Ojo to sign up.

I agree, they thought they had Ojo in the bag

CMurdoch
22-08-2019, 11:28 PM

My goodness, reads like i wrote it myself!

The Modfather
23-08-2019, 07:55 AM
It’s an interesting article rendered near unreadable by that awful website, and it raises a few points:

1) If Slivka is being ear marked for the deeper lying role he plays for his country then that can only be a good thing. But he has to seize his chance (something he has failed to do so far) and Hecky has to show faith in him
2) Newell is also a midfielder, not the left sided winger we needed.
3) At the moment, letting Milligan go looks like a slightly reckless move. I don’t think he was amazing for us but he could do a job, and I can well believe he was a very good influence on the dressing room.

If Slivka is earmarked for a starting place anywhere in the midfield our recruitment has completely failed. He has all the tools on paper to be a good player but no indication he will suddenly come good after 2 years of not doing do.

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 07:59 AM
My goodness, reads like i wrote it myself!

Though hopefully you aren't also considering Hanlon or Porteous in midfield. :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 08:00 AM
If Slivka is earmarked for a starting place anywhere in the midfield our recruitment has completely failed. He has all the tools on paper to be a good player but no indication he will suddenly come good after 2 years of not doing do.

On looking at the video of the guy who may be signing for us, he would possibly look like an upgrade on Slivka so possibly he may be moved on.

joe_hfc
23-08-2019, 08:26 AM
I honestly don't see this need for a hard-man DM type of player who does the dirty work.

I have watched a lot of games in my time at a variety of different levels. Some good teams have a DM, some good team's don't. Some crap teams have a DM, others don't.

It's all to do with playing to strengths of the players you have and picking a formation which works. If you don't have a DM then there are plenty of ways set up so that your centre backs don't get exposed against teams that play on the break.

If we had strikers that couldn't score, defenders that couldn't header or a keeper which couldn't catch a ball - then yes, let's be concerned. But a team without a DM? It doesn't bother me. From looking at the style of play Hecky wants which is high energy, retaining the ball, high press, it sounds like he doesn't think we need one.

And for those who say that Vela is right for the role. Vela is not a DM, he's the box-to-box athletic type. Same with Slivka.

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I honestly don't see this need for a hard-man DM type of player who does the dirty work.

I have watched a lot of games in my time at a variety of different levels. Some good teams have a DM, some good team's don't. Some crap teams have a DM, others don't.

It's all to do with playing to strengths of the players you have and picking a formation which works. If you don't have a DM then there are plenty of ways set up so that your centre backs don't get exposed against teams that play on the break.

If we had strikers that couldn't score, defenders that couldn't header or a keeper which couldn't catch a ball - then yes, let's be concerned. But a team without a DM? It doesn't bother me as long as we have a manager who doesn't set up with that type of position needed and tries to shoehorn someone in. And from looking at the style of play Hecky wants which is high energy, retaining the ball, high press, it sounds like he's not going to lose sleep over it.

And for those who say that Vela is right for the role. Vela is not a DM, he's the box-to-box athletic type.

I think the problem with not having a DM is that we are also trying to shoe horn in two AMs. You could maybe get away without a DM if you had two traditional centre mids in there with one AM. But we're going two AMs and a CM and it's just not got enough in there to protect the defence. If we dropped one of Allan or Mallan and played two proper CMs then we'd maybe look a bit more solid but if we want to play both then I think we need a Bartley type player who's no interest in going forward.

ahibby
23-08-2019, 10:11 AM

You are right but he did set up the last goal against Morton with a beautifully weighted pass over the top from inside our half. More of that would be good.

ahibby
23-08-2019, 10:12 AM

If we had strikers that couldn't score, defenders that couldn't header or a keeper which couldn't catch a ball - then yes, let's be concerned. But a team without a DM? It doesn't bother me as long as we have a manager who doesn't set up with that type of position needed and tries to shoehorn someone in. And from looking at the style of play Hecky wants which is high energy, retaining the ball, high press, it sounds like he's not going to lose sleep over it.

And for those who say that Vela is right for the role. Vela is not a DM, he's the box-to-box athletic type.

As long as you score more goals than your opponent then I don't suppose it matters.

IrnBru22
23-08-2019, 11:35 AM

He was excellent last Saturday and set up 2 goals

Dav1986
23-08-2019, 11:47 AM
I agree that we are missing a bit of balance in midfield but I don't get the love in for Milligan.

I don't think he was good enough and for me, seemed to risk giving away a penalty at a lot of corners and his poor marking/tracking at set pieces cost us a few goals and I would have expected better from someone with his experience.

Diclonius
23-08-2019, 12:02 PM
The "replacing John McGinn" with a good blend has been theme for team since we became John McGinnless.

John McGinn replaced Scott Brown after 8 years of a ***** midfield and now we have the same impossible task.

Northernhibee
23-08-2019, 12:03 PM
I agree that we are missing a bit of balance in midfield but I don't get the love in for Milligan.

I don't think he was good enough and for me, seemed to risk giving away a penalty at a lot of corners and his poor marking/tracking at set pieces cost us a few goals and I would have expected better from someone with his experience.

He also was on apparently quite a high wage for us. If you're at the higher end of the wage scale for Hibs then you need to offer more than he did.

Northernhibee
23-08-2019, 12:06 PM
John McGinn replaced Scott Brown after 8 years of a ***** midfield and now we have the same impossible task.

He's a player who we should have paid millions for. Villa got a huge bargain with him but so did we. I suspect Man Utd may get a bargain with him too.

Wee Effen Bee
23-08-2019, 01:17 PM
I think the journo just got his ‘story’ from coming on here…as many of them probably do!:wink::agree: