PDA

View Full Version : Chance to go 3rd

Billy Whizz
22-08-2019, 06:24 PM
As Celtic and Rangers aren’t playing until Sunday, 3 points for Hibs on Saturday, could see us 3rd, if other Saturday results go our way
Think we’d have taken this before the season started

Another big game for Hibs, and hope we take the good things from the Morton game, and ditch the bad things
Mallon available again, so wonder what Hecky will do? I’d be surprised if Porteous starts, unless we have an issue with its Hanlon or Jackson, but will be great to have the big man back, also a goal threat at corners

jacomo
22-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Ultimately meaningless at this early stage, but good to build confidence and momentum.

I’m looking forward to the game and expecting to see more progress.

Franck Stanton
22-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Sorry, but being 3rd after 3 league games means nothing. If we are 3rd with only 3 games left, now that's when to get excited. Not trying to rain on op's enthusiasm, just being a grumpy old git. (Realistic though).

CMurdoch
22-08-2019, 11:19 PM
We need to keep piling the points up against the bottom 7 teams as Heckingbottom did when he came in last season.
Do that and we won't be far of 3rd.

As the squad stands at the moment i see us finishing the season in 5th which i correctly called before last season started whilst a few maniacs had us winning the title!
The same maniacs have us finishing bottom 6 this season before the transfer window is even closed.
My prediction could change on the evening of September 2nd if we bring in a quality player or 2.
I am sure we will at least bring in a good midfielder.
It's like Christmas for adults!

On subject, I see a hard fought win for Hibs on Saturday.
I am really looking forward to going to Easter Road and wish the match was later today.

Since452
23-08-2019, 05:39 AM
All about momentum at this stage. 2 home league wins out of 2 and 5 in a row in all competitions is a good start and keeps us pushing on

JimBHibees
23-08-2019, 05:52 AM
Need to build a consistency in performance as well as eradicating individual errors.

FilipinoHibs
23-08-2019, 05:53 AM
We could have six times as many points as Hearts!

chrisski33
23-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Theres a good chance we will wont go 3rd!

hfc rd
23-08-2019, 06:30 AM
Means absolutely nothing what league position we are in, or could be after this weekend, at this stage of the season. After this weekend we still have 35 league games to play and we won’t know if our 5 remaining leagues games will be in the top or bottom half of the table.

Callum_62
23-08-2019, 06:39 AM
What it does mean is we could have the 3rd best start to the season of all the teams in the league

Whatever happens though - Hecky out

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
23-08-2019, 06:42 AM
Not fussed about league position just now, just getting the points on the board.

Manner of the Rangers defeat was brutal, but six points from nine is what I expected from our first three games. Anything less than a win and I’ll be disappointed.

villahibs
23-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Always nice to look at the table and see Hibs near the top, regardless how many games have been played. Not sure why being third this early shouldn’t matter?? Bet if we were third bottom it wouldn’t just be seen as an early season league placing!

Clarence
23-08-2019, 06:44 AM
I think the OP realises there are no trophies for 3rd place after 3 games of the season. He’s just trying to be positive. I’m sure it wouldn’t be dismissed as meaningless if we were 3rd from bottom rather than 3rd from top.

Clarence
23-08-2019, 06:49 AM
As Celtic and Rangers aren’t playing until Sunday, 3 points for Hibs on Saturday, could see us 3rd, if other Saturday results go our way

Another big game for Hibs, and hope we take the good things from the Morton game, and ditch the bad things
Mallon available again, so wonder what Hecky will do? I’d be surprised if Porteous starts, unless we have an issue with its Hanlon or Jackson, but will be great to have the big man back, also a goal threat at corners

I think having Porto back reduces the need for a defensive midfielder. He commands his own half so we’ll that he wins the ball further up the field than any of our other centre halves.

lyonhibs
23-08-2019, 06:55 AM
I think having Porto back reduces the need for a defensive midfielder. He commands his own half so we’ll that he wins the ball further up the field than any of our other centre halves.

The need for a defensive midfielder isn't purely defensive, at least in the sense of winning the ball in the air. We need someone in front of the back 4 to block off angles and make it harder for the opposition midfield to play into our strikers. Porto can't do that and be a CB. The need for a DM remains as key as ever IMO

Sammy7nil
23-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Sorry, but being 3rd after 3 league games means nothing. If we are 3rd with only 3 games left, now that's when to get excited. Not trying to rain on op's enthusiasm, just being a grumpy old git. (Realistic though).

Theres a good chance we will wont go 3rd!

Means absolutely nothing what league position we are in, or could be after this weekend, at this stage of the season. After this weekend we still have 35 league games to play and we won’t know if our 5 remaining leagues games will be in the top or bottom half of the table.

All correct but I would rather be third than 12th at this stage :wink:

Tarrahib
23-08-2019, 07:40 AM

A good post Billy. It will maybe a start for more positive posts on this site .There are too many doom and gloom merchants happy to peddle their negativity on here.
GGTTH.

overdrive
23-08-2019, 08:04 AM
We need to keep piling the points up against the bottom 7 teams as Heckingbottom did when he came in last season.
Do that and we won't be far of 3rd.

As the squad stands at the moment i see us finishing the season in 5th which i correctly called before last season started whilst a few maniacs had us winning the title!
The same maniacs have us finishing bottom 6 this season before the transfer window is even closed.
My prediction could change on the evening of September 2nd if we bring in a quality player or 2.
I am sure we will at least bring in a good midfielder.
It's like Christmas for adults!

On subject, I see a hard fought win for Hibs on Saturday.
I am really looking forward to going to Easter Road and wish the match was later today.

We need to pile up the points against the bottom 6-7 teams because we probably won’t get many against the top teams.

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 08:22 AM

You can sure as hell believe that being bottom after 3 would mean something though, so why does 3rd after 3 mean nothing? 3rd after 3 games means we've had a pretty good start to the season. Doesn't mean a lot else but people are just desperate to poo poo the idea of a good start yet they'd be desperate to stick the boot in if we were 10th or 11th after 3.

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 08:23 AM
We need to pile up the points against the bottom 6-7 teams because we probably won’t get many against the top teams.

And if that's the way it works out and we end up top four then that's absolutely fine. We have people moaning that we don't beat the bottom 6 often enough when we're taking points off the top 6 anyway so we'll never be able to please everybody. And as an aside, who in the top 6 other than the OF do you think we'll take next to no points off? Because I certainly don't see that many sides that we're going to get beat near enough every time we play them other than the OF.

1875-Hibernia
23-08-2019, 08:44 AM
A lot of results need to go our way for us to be 3rd- which I’d be more than happy with, regardless of how early in the season it is. Without being doom and gloom we could also be bottom depending on results. I personally think it’s too early to be focusing on league position though, and we should focus more on performances. Which in return should see us climb the table.

As for the shouts for a DM I don’t see the need for it, so long as we have a decent box to box midfielder. As well as wingers working back.

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 08:49 AM
You can sure as hell believe that being bottom after 3 would mean something though, so why does 3rd after 3 mean nothing? 3rd after 3 games means we've had a pretty good start to the season. Doesn't mean a lot else but people are just desperate to poo poo the idea of a good start yet they'd be desperate to stick the boot in if we were 10th or 11th after 3.

Is this true?

Sure, some folk see things differently to others but that's got to be expected no?

I see a few of you saying similar things but don't see where you're coming from.

Why do you think people are desperate to knock the club?

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Is this true?

Sure, some folk see things differently to others but that's got to be expected no?

I see a few of you saying similar things but don't see where you're coming from.

Why do you think people are desperate to knock the club?

From people point blank refusing to acknowledge we even won last week to people telling us our league position doesn’t matter (yet you can guarantee it would matter if we were bottom) then yes, I reckon it’s true. Not everyone, not even the majority of people who aren’t happy, but there’s a few posters who are definitely in that category.

Since452
23-08-2019, 09:17 AM
I just fear for some peoples health if we win tomorrow. The Hecky haters will need to find something else to be outraged about.

lyonhibs
23-08-2019, 09:46 AM
I just fear for some peoples health if we win tomorrow. The Hecky haters will need to find something else to be outraged about.

Or if we lose. Coronaries all over the shop, guaranteed.

Unseen work
23-08-2019, 10:01 AM
If we go third tomorrow, although it doesn’t mean much, then players will take confidence from it and beleive they deserve to be there and look to keep winning and improving.

Its more a psychological advantage which shouldn’t be underestimated.

zitelli62
23-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Whether we go 3rd or not tomorrow 3 points tomorrow will be crucial come the end of season so in a way I agree with the original OP.

Steve20
23-08-2019, 10:24 AM

People aren't 'outraged' for no reason. We've been very poor this season.

If we put in a good performance tomorrow, everyone will be pleased.

BoomtownHibees
23-08-2019, 10:32 AM

I’m sure you will. Can’t wait to see a positive post from you in that case

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Really?

Played 7
W6 L1
GF 15
GA 10

https://www.skysports.com/hibernian-results

FilipinoHibs
23-08-2019, 10:39 AM
All correct but I would rather be third than 12th at this stage :wink:

Hearts could be on one point and rock bottom but suppose it is ok because they have had a fantastic summer transfer window.

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 10:39 AM

See, there's just no need for posts like this. All you're doing is trying to start an argument with people that disagree with you.

People aren't looking to be outraged at all, you guys just make that stuff up.

cabbageandribs1875
23-08-2019, 10:55 AM
See, there's just no need for posts like this. All you're doing is trying to start an argument with people that disagree with you.

it's p@sh rank patter :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
23-08-2019, 10:57 AM
better than decent weather for tomorrow, the sun will indeed be shining on Leith :flag:

Hiber-nation
23-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Exactly, does my head in. If we win and win well everyone will be happy. If we win and perform like we did in the St Mirren and Morton games then people will rightly ask questions. If the manager wasn't 100% happy with these performances, why should we be?

cabbageandribs1875
23-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Pilrig_Sauzee
23-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Can’t wait for tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully some better individual performances, and a bit more self-belief. They’ve knicked too many points from us here in the last couple of years, so 3 points in no way guaranteed.

Clean sheet, and Kamberi with another 2 please.

Borderhibbie76
23-08-2019, 11:37 AM

If we put in a good performance tomorrow, everyone will be pleased.Rubbish we were very poor against Stirling and Sevco...there have been more than decent performances in stages of all our other matches...as well as some poorer periods.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Since452
23-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Hearts could be on one point and rock bottom but suppose it is ok because they have had a fantastic summer transfer window.

They will hammer us though apparently

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Like I said earlier, the vast majority aren't. There's definitely one or two that are though. You just need to go onto the transfer thread where the usual suspects are now claiming we don't even play the formation that we do play. 5pm tomorrow if we've been beat they'll be desperately telling us it's because we only have one forward on the pitch blah blah blah and all the usual pish. People are literally making things up so that they can be outraged. We've had last weeks game that we won that they refuse to acknowledge we won so they can moan, a formation which we quite clearly play which they refuse to acknowledge we play so that they can moan and whatever else in between.

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 11:42 AM

**** yes.

Since452
23-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Like I said earlier, the vast majority aren't. There's definitely one or two that are though. You just need to go onto the transfer thread where the usual suspects are now claiming we don't even play the formation that we do play. 5pm tomorrow if we've been beat they'll be desperately telling us it's because we only have one forward on the pitch blah blah blah and all the usual pish. People are literally making things up so that they can be outraged. We've had last weeks game that we won that they refuse to acknowledge we won so they can moan, a formation which we quite clearly play which they refuse to acknowledge we play so that they can moan and whatever else in between.

Im waiting for squirel1875's first negative post on the match day thread

Here’s Lucy!
23-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Poor, with six wins from seven games?

Real Madrid would take ‘poor’ if that’s the criteria.

As someone famous used to say - ‘you can only pee with the willy you’ve got’.

Here’s Lucy!
23-08-2019, 11:48 AM

This post is spot on.

angus hibby
23-08-2019, 11:49 AM

True. Of course, the same applies if we happened to be 3rd bottom after 3 games. Somehow I don't think some would see it that way....

Since452
23-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Poor, with six wins from seven games?

Real Madrid would take ‘poor’ if that’s the criteria.

As someone famous used to say - ‘you can only pee with the willy you’ve got’.

If we win tomorrow we'll be a point better off than Lennons swashbuckling team were at this time last season and level with the so called best Hibs team since the 70's the season before (their defeat was 3-1 at home to Hamilton). Hecky out!

Here’s Lucy!
23-08-2019, 11:53 AM
If we win tomorrow we'll be a point better off than Lennons swashbuckling team were at this time last season and level with the so called best Hibs team since the 70's the season before. Hecky out!

Well said!

That’s more or less what I was alluding to. :aok:

FilipinoHibs
23-08-2019, 11:55 AM
They will hammer us though apparently

Is that the Hibs Net consensus or KickBack?

WhileTheChief..
23-08-2019, 11:58 AM
If we win tomorrow people will be happy, if not, they won't be.

I'd imagine that will be replicated at stadiums across the globe.

My point is that I don't think there is a single Hibs fan out there who wants us to get beaten so that they can come on here and say 'told you so' or whatever.

And again with 'the usual suspects'. Who are they? Man up and name names!!

Since452
23-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Is that the Hibs Net consensus or KickBack?

It's the consensus on here. Although there's probably more jambos on here than Kickback

calumhibee1
23-08-2019, 12:04 PM
If we win tomorrow people will be happy, if not, they won't be.

I'd imagine that will be replicated at stadiums across the globe.

My point is that I don't think there is a single Hibs fan out there who wants us to get beaten so that they can come on here and say 'told you so' or whatever.

And again with 'the usual suspects'. Who are they? Man up and name names!!

We’ve won the vast majority of our games so far this season and some folk are far from happy. I’m not sure yet another victory will make them happy. It never last week and it never against St Mirren.

Springbank
23-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Really?

Played 7
W6 L1
GF 15
GA 10

https://www.skysports.com/hibernian-results

I have no wish to be negative here but just for a balance and perspective, I don't think a club of Hibs' class should ever be claiming a "W" when the reality is we drew with the worst team in Scotland (Lge 2 basement boys Stirling Albion) but took it on pens!

Being neither a happy clapper nor a doom merchant myself, but someone who likes the football, I would say tomorrow is a key test for the 2019/20 squad

I've not seen us look balanced in the middle yet, but have hopes for the Vela / Allan / Slivka trio (with Mallan and Allan swapping mid second half). Tomorrow is unmistakably a test of this part of the team. Is it really good enough? Even the most green-tinted spectacles can see we don't know yet, tomorrow will give us another chance to assess.

I am excited by the prospect of Middleton and Horgan on the wings.

I think we have the best shot stopper in the league in goals (albeit with one of the leakier goalies on the bench I'm afraid)

Flo up front is on fire at the moment, though I'm like many in being unconvinced by big Doidge as yet he ought to get some time on the pitch tomorrow (as a sub) so wishing him well as he settles in and hope he proves my doubts wrong.

And that leaves the defence - another home league clean sheet would be fantastic but I'm not expecting one. We have been slow at fullback and indecisive at centre back in too many games already, but, as with the midfield, tomorrow is another chance to take steps in a better surer-footed direction.

Here's hoping we turn it on and win (3-1 if we play well I think)

But this will be a test and Ibrox (plus Morton) will surely have blown away any thoughts of compacency from the management and new players about the standard.

Hiber-nation
23-08-2019, 12:47 PM
It's the consensus on here. Although there's probably more jambos on here than Kickback

You going to give this pish a rest? Incredibly tiresome.