PDA

View Full Version : The case for the defense

spike220
21-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Looking a wee bit thin with injuries we have. Do we have anyone that could plug the gaps at the back?

DTS
21-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Porteous should be close to full fitness wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the squad on Saturday maybe even an outside chance of starting.

Gray and Stevenson both got minutes last weekend so they’ll be first choice full backs with mackie and Whittaker covering.

Don’t see the need for any more defenders

Hermit Crab
21-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Porteous should be close to full fitness wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the squad on Saturday maybe even an outside chance of starting.

Gray and Stevenson both got minutes last weekend so they’ll be first choice full backs with mackie and Whittaker covering.

Don’t see the need for any more defenders

Gray won't last the next few months without getting injured again, Poertous may take while to get up to speed and McGregor will not last without getting injured either and Hanlon is really poor form just now, I got shot down on here for saying we need more defensive cover. I agree with the OP.

oldbutdim
21-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Gray won't last the next few months without getting injured again, Poertous may take while to get up to speed and McGregor will not last without getting injured either and Hanlon is really poor form just now, I got shot down on here for saying we need more defensive cover. I agree with the OP.

When I see one of your posts on here my default reaction is "Here we go, more negative pish" and it's spot on every time.

Bit disconcerting to read one that I agree with.

Don't do that again please.

Smartie
22-08-2019, 03:46 AM
It's hard to make a case for not starting Whittaker right now, he's one of our best players form-wise.

I don't think there's much out of any of the centre halves at the moment - they're all good players who I like so you can take any 2 of them.

The biggest issue is how we give them a bit more protection in midfield. We've got St Johnstone on Saturday who will probably have Kennedy and O'Halloran out wide so they have the potential to cause us problems.

green day
22-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Anyone else read that thread title in an American accent?

Brightside
22-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Hanlon is not in really poor form right now. Can you show examples of his poor form in the last 4 games? The whole team struggled against Rangers. He wasnt to blame for any of the goals v Morton. In reality he is currently our best defender.

FilipinoHibs
22-08-2019, 06:36 AM
News saying Porty will start against the Saints.

BoomtownHibees
22-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Hanlon is not in really poor form right now. Can you show examples of his poor form in the last 4 games? The whole team struggled against Rangers. He wasnt to blame for any of the goals v Morton. In reality he is currently our best defender.

No shock that you’re here defending Hanlon whilst in reality he’s been poor for the last while, not just this season but the 2nd half of last season as well. Not being to blame directly for any of the goals last Saturday doesn’t mean he hasn’t been in poor form.

G B Young
22-08-2019, 06:56 AM
I'm rather alarmed that with the injuries we have already picked up so early in the season that we don't appear to be making any more signings before the window closes. It's not just the defence which looks thin, the whole squad feels very light.

danhibees1875
22-08-2019, 07:07 AM

I like Hanlon and think he's a good player, but I don't think he's been the same for a wee while now.

I'd also give him a portion of the blame for one of the goals on Saturday - the third I think. He came back onto the ball with a bit of time to deal with it or play it back to the keeper but hit it out for a throw in a good area; Morton scored soon after.

He'd still be in my starting XI - hopefully along with Porteous.

Since452
22-08-2019, 07:10 AM
I think we're ok defensively number wise. To be fair to Heckingbottom he's got us well covered for any injuries/suspensions

GreenCastle
22-08-2019, 07:13 AM
It’s a fair point..

We need a consistent back 5 or 4

GK

RB CB CB LB -

Or for me 3-5-2

CB CB CB - which would be Porto Jackson Hanlon

Hibbyradge
22-08-2019, 07:16 AM

:agree:

I found it quite offens-ive.

Vault Boy
22-08-2019, 07:28 AM
How long is Tom James out? I remember reading that it'd be 'several weeks' but I can't if there was ever a more specific update.

Diclonius
22-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Then it would be called "the case for the dee-fense."

supermcginn
22-08-2019, 07:52 AM
No shock that you’re here defending Hanlon whilst in reality he’s been poor for the last while, not just this season but the 2nd half of last season as well. Not being to blame directly for any of the goals last Saturday doesn’t mean he hasn’t been in poor form.

Exactly, absolutely baffling anyone could defend any of our defenders recently.

Captain Trips
22-08-2019, 08:15 AM
It's hard to make a case for not starting Whittaker right now, he's one of our best players form-wise.

I don't think there's much out of any of the centre halves at the moment - they're all good players who I like so you can take any 2 of them.

The biggest issue is how we give them a bit more protection in midfield. We've got St Johnstone on Saturday who will probably have Kennedy and O'Halloran out wide so they have the potential to cause us problems.

It is quite interesting how people view things at matches and the different opinions on watching the same games as I think SW shouldnt be anywhere near the team. There isnt a case for the defence they need to sort it out and very soon. I think all the defenders have really let themselves down over past few games as they are better than shipping 9 goals in 2 matches.

bigwheel
22-08-2019, 08:22 AM
It is quite interesting how people view things at matches and the different opinions on watching the same games as I think SW shouldnt be anywhere near the team. There isnt a case for the defence they need to sort it out and very soon. I think all the defenders have really let themselves down over past few games as they are better than shipping 9 goals in 2 matches.

My view is that he was MoM v St Mirren, and composed contribution last Saturday ....got put through the mill v Rangers - but didn’t they all ...has earned the right for serious consideration...

Out of interest, What is it about his contribution this season , that makes you view he shouldn’t be anywhere near the side ?

Onceinawhile
22-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Current uninjured back 4

Stevenson Hanlon Jackson Gray

Covered by

Mackie Porto Mcgregor (inj) James (inj)

With Whittaker for cover at left and right back.

So it would need either two more centre back injuries, or two full back injuries for us to dip into the development team.

Think there's other places to look first.

Captain Trips
22-08-2019, 08:26 AM
My view is that he MoM bs St Mirren, and composed contribution last Saturday ....got put through the mill v Rangers - but didn’t they all ...has earned the right for serious consideration...

Out of interest, What is it about his contribution this season , that makes you view he shouldn’t be anywhere near the side ?

I think in his time here he has been at best average, had a few good games but a lot more where he has not been involved or been poor. IMO we need better hence why for me based on what I have seen he is not good enough.

bigwheel
22-08-2019, 08:28 AM
I think in his time here he has been at best average, had a few good games but a lot more where he has not been involved or been poor. IMO we need better hence why for me based on what I have seen he is not good enough.

Going on last season I suspect even he would agree with that ...he is injury free, good pre season ...would you not agree he has done as well as any others in defence this season ??

SquashedFrogg
22-08-2019, 08:31 AM

It could be argued that a defence is only as strong as the midfield/attack in front of it.

bigwheel
22-08-2019, 08:33 AM
It could be argued that a defence is only as strong as the midfield/attack in front of it.

I think that is an important factor ...not a lot of protection ....

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Our defence while maybe ok in numbers is poor overall in quality, not helped by a midfield that give them no help whatsoever.

9 goals shipped in 2 games is not great stats, when one of those games is against a bang average Championship side.

We need better in defence and midfield, not going to happen in my opinion.

DMH0762
22-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Would love Efe back. Him amd Porto were best CB partnership at the club far as i am concerned. Efe brought Porto on leaps and bounds and had the ability to move forward with the ball and create.

Wonder: 1: if he would return
2: What would he cost

One Day Soon
22-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Yup, sure did.

One Day Soon
22-08-2019, 09:50 AM
It's looking a bit thin that's for sure but the most sensible way to protect it would be to sign the defensive midfielder we are clearly crying out for.

Sioux
22-08-2019, 09:51 AM
There's a common theme with Hanlon. When the ball is put into the box, he's invariably nowhere near it, see Morton's goals. and if he is there, very rarely dies he get first contact on the ball, head or foot. He doesn't have the aggression for it.

Fine on the ball, but he's a defender that can't defend properly. How many times do forwards turn him inside out in the box?

Sorry, but he's no longer good enough.

The 90+2
22-08-2019, 09:52 AM
How long is Tom James out? I remember reading that it'd be 'several weeks' but I can't if there was ever a more specific update.

Back after the international break.

Malthibby
22-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Aye, shocking lack of Hibs class. We'll be trying to buy Poundland next.

Captain Trips
22-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Defences will be asked questions regardless of what is in front of it , of late we have not been able to answer those questions very well. Indeed the more we are in other half the less they are needed but when needed they have got the basics wrong and looked vulnerable.

Brightside
22-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Exactly, absolutely baffling anyone could defend any of our defenders recently.

Ok all our defenders are pish.... Nah its not for me. All defenders make mistakes.... this defence thats getting ripped was outstanding last year - despite everyone saying how poor it was. Nobody has been very poor. Stevenson struggled badly in the first half of his return. James has been decent. Jackson has been decent too. But as usual we have so many on here just constantly saying how poor everyone is.

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2019, 11:34 AM
4 average defenders, trained properly, helped out by midfield properly and playing consistently will be absolutely fine. Our best back 4 is definitely above average for this league.

Brightside
22-08-2019, 11:36 AM
There's a common theme with Hanlon. When the ball is put into the box, he's invariably nowhere near it, see Morton's goals. and if he is there, very rarely dies he get first contact on the ball, head or foot. He doesn't have the aggression for it.

Fine on the ball, but he's a defender that can't defend properly. How many times do forwards turn him inside out in the box?

Sorry, but he's no longer good enough.

Nonsense. He has won over 80% of his 50/50 headers this season. Check the Opta stats. Some people on here dont even know what a defender is.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Nonsense. He has won over 80% of his 50/50 headers this season. Check the Opta stats. Some people on here dont even know what a defender is.

Maybe you’re one of them with your blind loyalty to a certain player.

Brightside
22-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Maybe you’re one of them with your blind loyalty to a certain player.

Paul Hanlon is not playing at the level he was when he partnered Efe in defence. That is a true statement based on a review of his form. Going from that to "He's poor and needs replaced" is nonsense. Its not blind loyalty its just not overacting like a 10 year old school boy on twitter.

Shrekko
22-08-2019, 11:53 AM
4 average defenders, trained properly, helped out by midfield properly and playing consistently will be absolutely fine. Our best back 4 is definitely above average for this league.

I don't think the midfield is helping out enough but agree with you otherwise. when we had McGinn, Bartley and Boyle etc.- they were all tremendous on defensive duties but we're missing that at the moment.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Paul Hanlon is not playing at the level he was when he partnered Efe in defence. That is a true statement based on a review of his form. Going from that to "He's poor and needs replaced" is nonsense. Its not blind loyalty its just not overacting like a 10 year old school boy on twitter.

I’m not 10 and I’m not on twitter but I think he should be replaced. I think he’s been poor for a sustained period of time.

Brightside
22-08-2019, 12:04 PM
I’m not 10 and I’m not on twitter but I think he should be replaced. I think he’s been poor for a sustained period of time.

Thankfully every manager we have had in the last 7/8 years disagrees with you. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2019, 12:06 PM
I don't think the midfield is helping out enough but agree with you otherwise. when we had McGinn, Bartley and Boyle etc.- they were all tremendous on defensive duties but we're missing that at the moment.

Yeah, thats the point I was making. They aren't being helped, aren't being trained well enough and aren't playing consistently.

McGinn to us was like Kan/te for Leicester. He done the work and running of 2 players.

1875-Hibernia
22-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Imo the current group of defenders showed last season that their form isn’t up to the standards it used to be. Whittaker is a scapegoat for the fans, but in parts has been our best defender for a short while now.

James and Jackson look okay but they will need time to build up to be a regular starter- along with Mackie and Porteous.

Biggest issue for me isn’t the defence though, but the lack of holding midfielders in front of them and wingers not covering. They are exposed constantly and I think only a change of shape as it won’t be personnel is going to sort it out.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Agree that the defence are very exposed at times.

On the flip side, towards the end of last season, we were solid but didn’t carry much threat at times. Milligan played so deep that sometimes he was almost like a third centre back.

He needs to find a balance. IMO the defence needed freshening up with at least a couple of starters and I don’t know if we’ve done that.

Wee Effen Bee
22-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Yup, sure did.

Its not too hard, surely! In the UK, ‘Defence’ with a ‘c’! Unless Spike is an Amerisan, sorry, American, if so, no probs.:wink:
On the playing side, it’s a team game so everyone has to be helping out and supporting each other. I think the defence is sound when everyone is fit. Unfortunately, we’ve yet to see a 100% fit Gray and Stevenson play but they will be up to speed within a week or two.

JimBHibees
22-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Yeah, thats the point I was making. They aren't being helped, aren't being trained well enough and aren't playing consistently.

McGinn to us was like Kan/te for Leicester. He done the work and running of 2 players.

What do you mean by that?

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2019, 01:18 PM
What do you mean by that?

Well, defending has a structure, a shape that you must work on. We haven't had that this season.

JimBHibees
22-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Well, defending has a structure, a shape that you must work on. We haven't had that this season.

Because of the chopping and changing, would tend to agree don't think we should be rotating centre backs unless they are injured or having a mare. Definitely need a consistency of selection hopefully Gray and Lewis are fit to start at the weekend.

ancient hibee
22-08-2019, 03:33 PM
​Swapping goalies doesn’t help either.Morton’s second goal was ludicrous.The goalie could have dropped on it but not body took responsibility for doing something about it until the ball slithered through to Stevenson.

hibbyfraelibby
22-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Then it would be called "the case for the dee-fense."

How about we make wee Ron feel at home and adopt some NFL chants? Sure all those who followed the Claymores ( and the Cheeries) know the beat...

Deeee-fense, (drum, drum)
Deeee-fense (drum, drum)

Come on the Deeeeee

Eyrie
22-08-2019, 07:11 PM
How about we make wee Ron feel at home and adopt some NFL chants? Sure all those who followed the Claymores ( and the Cheeries) know the beat...

Deeee-fense (drum, drum)

Come on the Deeeeee

Now there's a blast from the past.

But I agree with those who point out that the defence is getting little protection from the midfield because we've an obvious need that hasn't been addressed.