PDA

View Full Version : Bury fc in dire straits

Pausa
21-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Have noticed that unless a bid is accepted for the club then they are expelled from the league this Friday, the owner has rejected a bid today, looking like he's prepared to let them go under, they have a petition in place to reach 10,000signatures, great wee club could do with a bit of help on the signatures
https://www.change.org/p/steve-dale-steve-dale-please-accept-the-offer-for-bury-football-club

Juice-Terry
21-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Signed and shared.

Northernhibee
21-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Signed and shared. Hope for the sake of their supporters that they pull through.

erin go bragh
21-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Signed. Shame

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Signed. It's such a shame to see a founding member of the Football League in this position. I really hope they survive.

Hibeesmad
21-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Not sure if these petitions will actually have any affect but I’ve signed nevertheless

One Day Soon
21-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Done.

I always feel gutted for decent supporters of clubs when the owners have gone joy riding around with one of their main passions in life. Yes, even for supporters of Hearts and Rangers when it happened to them - the decent ones that is.

Bright_Hibee
21-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Signed and shared

Pretty Boy
21-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Signed.

I understand some will argue some clubs naturally reach the end of their viability and we need less clubs etc etc but every club is everything to their fans be that 50 or 500 000 people.

we are hibs
21-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Their owner is at it big time. No amount of petitions or offers will save them. Obviously something sinister like developing the ground into housing or something along those lines is going on.

Pausa
21-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Their owner is at it big time. No amount of petitions or offers will save them. Obviously something sinister like developing the ground into housing or something along those lines is going on.

Agree, but he was quoted as saying that they'd be lucky to get 400 signatures, so at least that's good news for them

JimBHibees
21-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Compare and contrast with tbe obscene wealth of the huge Manchezter teams just down the road.

lord bunberry
21-08-2019, 12:22 PM
I was talking to a group of Bury fans while down at Cheltenham in March. They were all really passionate about their club and it’s sad to see they’re struggling so badly. They were saying that they now train at Man Utd’s old training centre and the owner had big plans for the club. It’s sad it’s all gone so badly wrong for them. As usual it’s the ordinary fans that suffer in these situations.

hibee-boys
21-08-2019, 12:44 PM
They need.....money for nothing.

Blackfordhibby
21-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Signed

no supporter deserves to lose their club. Well I might make two wee exceptions.

Pagan Hibernia
21-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Signed. It's such a shame to see a founding member of the Football League in this position. I really hope they survive.

as old and historic as Bury FC is, they were not founding members of the football league. Are you thinking of Bolton Wanderers (who are also in desperate trouble)?

sad story regardless. Gigg Lane is a lovely little ground and one of the oldest football stadiums in the world

HoboHarry
21-08-2019, 01:52 PM
They need.....money for nothing from their brothers in arms.

Fixed that for you.....

eezyrider
21-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Signed.

Hope they get a last minute reprieve.

http://chng.it/rKK4YCvTWq

Pausa
21-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys for signing on their behalf, great response

HAZ2000
21-08-2019, 02:59 PM

What a band

CMurdoch
21-08-2019, 03:17 PM
It's all very well 10,000 folk signing a petition but the harsh reality is that they only have a hardcore of 3,000 fans (average home attendances over the last few years 3,750)
Those 3000 fans need to get their **** together.

Why can't fans representatives get together with interested parties or the present owner and work something out. The fans representatives could approach Man City or Man Utd with a view to a loan to allow them to make a deal with interested parties/owner to keep them afloat.
Folks criticise Hearts supporters on here but they are a great example of fans refusing to let their club die. Really got their **** together and put their hard earned in.

P.S. done a wee bit of research. The present owner Steve Dale bought the loss making and heavily indebted club for £1 last December from property developer (alarm bells ringing for me) Stewart Day. Reading between the lines the club was in a much worse financial state than Dale thought it was and he has been fighting an unwinnable fight to make the finances work ever since. The club is now £2 million in debt. There is also mention of £3.6 million in director loans. All sounding like a massive cluster **** a bit like when David Murray ditched a rapidly sinking Rangers to a hapless half-wit.

Pausa
21-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Their fans reps have met with dale, but he's not a guy that likes to reason, he's actually threatened fans who spoke against him, threatening to rip their f####ing heads off, he's liquidated his last 2 business ventures, and stopped paying wages to players and ground staff alike around 6 weeks before the end of the season, the fans to be fair have to funds on the go, one to pay the wages of the staff and one to raise money for potentially getting fan based ownership, but the money he wants is beyond the fans means

ColintonHibs
21-08-2019, 04:20 PM
https://youtu.be/zKdU32ZEndc

You’ve got no fans

CMurdoch
21-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Their fans reps have met with dale, but he's not a guy that likes to reason, he's actually threatened fans who spoke against him, threatening to rip their f####ing heads off, he's liquidated his last 2 business ventures, and stopped paying wages to players and ground staff alike around 6 weeks before the end of the season, the fans to be fair have to funds on the go, one to pay the wages of the staff and one to raise money for potentially getting fan based ownership, but the money he wants is beyond the fans means

I think he is in miles over his head and probably losing money hand over fist. Hence the anger and threats.
A professional football club is a money monster, hoovers up massive amounts of money day after day after day.
It is not a thing for a turnip heid to be responsible for.

pontius pilate
21-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Dale was on talksport the other day when the brought the bury captain on the phone as well let's just say the captain never held back. Dale is quite happy for the pfa to pay 50% of the players wages the captain has even asked him to sell up and walk away

Pretty Boy
21-08-2019, 05:37 PM
As tough as it is for the fans the club will never really die if there is a genuine desire to keep going in some form.

Airdrie
Clydebank
Rangers
Wimbledon
Hereford
Gretna

All clubs in recent memory who have been liquidated or been 'lost' in other ways and they have all been reincarnated in some form or other. It may well mean dropping a few levels, a few tough years and a lot of the fans own money but if there's a will then there's a way.

That's not meant as a dig at the fans or to talk down their plight. It must be awful for them and a 'phoenix' club may not feel the same right now but if they want football to continue in the town then it's an option.

CMurdoch
21-08-2019, 05:55 PM
The article in the link below was written by David Conn (the right guy for this job) for the Guardian when Steve Dale took over Bury FC from Stewart Day in December 2018. It is clearly apparent that the writer thinks things are not right. The part about expensive loans secured on the club infrastructure is the stuff of car crushes. Previous owner property developer Stewart Day sounds mega dodgy (aren't all property developers) and new owner Steve Dale a dunce who couldn't see he was taking on a basket case of the worst type.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/13/bury-new-owner-steve-dale-financial-misery-historic-club

where'stheslope
21-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Beginning to sound a bit of a hatchet man, put in to wind up the club?
Seen it so many times now, but with all the money sloshing around down there surely hope for them last minute!!
EPL should have a fund for such happenings, like they do for their overpaid football players!!!!

Smartie
21-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Beginning to sound a bit of a hatchet man, put in to wind up the club?
Seen it so many times now, but with all the money sloshing around down there surely hope for them last minute!!
EPL should have a fund for such happenings, like they do for their overpaid football players!!!!

Knowing there was such a safety net would probably only encourage more rash behaviour.

jgl07
21-08-2019, 11:27 PM
As tough as it is for the fans the club will never really die if there is a genuine desire to keep going in some form.

Airdrie
Clydebank
Rangers
Wimbledon
Hereford
Gretna

All clubs in recent memory who have been liquidated or been 'lost' in other ways and they have all been reincarnated in some form or other. It may well mean dropping a few levels, a few tough years and a lot of the fans own money but if there's a will then there's a way.

That's not meant as a dig at the fans or to talk down their plight. It must be awful for them and a 'phoenix' club may not feel the same right now but if they want football to continue in the town then it's an option.
Technically Clydebank and Wimbledon were never liquidated. Clydebank were sold and became Airdrie United and obviously moved to Airdrie. Wimbledon similarly became MK Dons.

Both clubs were reformed although Clydebank remain in the Junior ranks since being reformed. It took Wimbledon ten years to make it back to the EFL. Any replacement club for Bury or Bolton would take something like that given the depth of the English Pyramid system.

Had the Mercer takeover gone ahead, Hibs would have been in that position. You can be sure that the replacement club would not have been fast tracked into the SFL in the way that Sevco were. I suspect that Edinburgh Hibernian, or whatever would have been back in the Premier Division within five years.

Tom Hart RIP
22-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Went to see Man U v Bury 30 years ago when I was working down there. Hibs were strongly linked to Bury’s centre forward Liam ???? Who played well but the deal never happened. Think we signed Gareth instead. Anyone remember his name?

Tom Hart RIP
22-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Phew. It was Liam Robinson. Hate it when I can’t remember.

Barman Stanton
22-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Went to see Man U v Bury 30 years ago when I was working down there. Hibs were strongly linked to Bury’s centre forward Liam ???? Who played well but the deal never happened. Think we signed Gareth instead. Anyone remember his name?

Gareth Evans.

Tom Hart RIP
22-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Gareth Evans.

😂 I’d start to worry if I couldn’t remember Gareth’s surname

Since452
22-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Feel sorry for their fans but can't help but think of all the lower league English fans who slate Scottish football calling us a "farmers league/pub" etc. No teams in the Scottish leagues unable to fulfill fixtures or having to play the under 18's. Bit Sunday Leagueish i'd say...

Barman Stanton
22-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Feel sorry for their fans but can't help but think of all the lower league English fans who slate Scottish football calling us a "farmers league/pub" etc. No teams in the Scottish leagues unable to fulfill fixtures or having to play the under 18's. Bit Sunday Leagueish i'd say...

That thought always crosses my mind as well. Hearing Bolton fans say it was a step down for Vela when he could play League 1. I find it hard to feel sorry for them when it goes tits up.

AndyM_1875
22-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Had the Mercer takeover gone ahead, Hibs would have been in that position. You can be sure that the replacement club would not have been fast tracked into the SFL in the way that Sevco were. I suspect that Edinburgh Hibernian, or whatever would have been back in the Premier Division within five years.

That always bugged me as I would certainly have gone to see Edinburgh Hibernian playing at (probably) Meadowbank had the takeover gone ahead. Like many Hibs fans I would also have wished any club playing Mercer's mob well, even the InFirm.

Meanwhile Mercer's ego trip would have resulted after a year in the Hearts name disappearing and the Frankenstein club playing at Straiton after Easter Road and Tynecastle were sold for housing, in black and white strips and calling themselves Edinburgh United. I would suggest they would be deeply unpopular in Scottish football.

No doubt as Edinburgh Hibernian moved into and up the leagues fuelled on by goodwill and people putting money behind them, Frankenstein FC would have started to struggle as the FTB finally realised that the support bases of the two clubs could not be combined whilst his ego trip team played before diminishing, paltry crowds before eventual relegation and tumbling down and probably out of the league structures before being quietly wound up.

Football is about community and tradition, It's not a franchise. Mercer never understood that.

Ringothedog
22-08-2019, 01:00 PM
I agree with most of what you say, the only bit I would dispute is that they would never have changed colours or name they would always have been heart of Midlothian, playing in maroon and white at tynecastle. This was never a merger it was solely about putting Hibernian FC out of business. Selling our assets and using them to improve them. It would then leave them free to dominate the football market in Edinburgh and the lothians. I will never forgive that club and will hate them until I draw my last breath

calumhibee1
22-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Exactly how I feel. I’m sure there’s some decent fans down there who would acknowledge our league isn’t as bad as is made out. I don’t feel a single bit sympathy for the fans of teams like these however that think they’re a bigger club than Hibs or that players shouldn’t be coming up here or that players from up here aren’t good enough to go down there etc. Bellends with ideas well above their station and as you say, they’ve made their league look like a bigger joke than Scottish football ever has.

Kavinho
22-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Bebopalula, baby what I say....
Here come Johnny singing I gotta woman
Yeah the boy can play

AndyM_1875
22-08-2019, 01:42 PM
I agree with most of what you say, the only bit I would dispute is that they would never have changed colours or name they would always have been heart of Midlothian, playing in maroon and white at tynecastle. This was never a merger it was solely about putting Hibernian FC out of business. Selling our assets and using them to improve them. It would then leave them free to dominate the football market in Edinburgh and the lothians. I will never forgive that club and will hate them until I draw my last breath

You may well be right but respectfully we'll agree to disagree on one point.
Tynecastle was always to be dumped under his plans. New stadium would have been at Millerhill or Straiton.

jgl07
22-08-2019, 01:43 PM
You may well be right but respectfully we'll agree to disagree on one point.
Tynecastle was always to be dumped under his plans. New stadium would have been at Millerhill or Straiton.

Also the ‘combined’ club would have been called Heart of Midlothian and not Edinburgh United.

Hibernia&Alba
22-08-2019, 01:46 PM

You are entirely correct, but remember that plenty of Jambos also opposed the 'merger' and thought Mercer's actions immoral. I blame him, not Hearts as a club. He will never be forgiven.

Barman Stanton
22-08-2019, 01:52 PM
You are entirely correct, but remember that plenty of Jambos also opposed the 'merger' and thought Mercer's actions immoral. I blame him, not Hearts as a club. He will never be forgiven.

My memory at the time is loads of Jambos lapping it up and extracting the urine. The number of them that opposed it seems to have grown as time has went by.

Hibernia&Alba
22-08-2019, 01:57 PM
My memory at the time is loads of Jambos lapping it up and extracting the urine. The number of them that opposed it seems to have grown as time has went by.

That's probably true, but others would have taken the pish whilst not actually wanting the rivalry to disappear. The Hearts fans had no say in the situation; it was that James Hunt.

Iggy Pope
22-08-2019, 01:58 PM

I remember the EEN running a quote from the twat that worked in the sports kit shop across the road from Tynie at the time. It went along the lines of being alright with a merger as long as the team played in Maroon, at Tynie and was called Hearts.
He underestimated the severe threat to person and property that his photo and posturing caused and quickly persuaded the EEN into a retraction. The prick.

Iggy Pope
22-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Bebopalula, baby what I say....
Here come Johnny singing I gotta woman
Yeah the boy can play

**** that was horrible. Stop it.

Barman Stanton
22-08-2019, 02:05 PM
That's probably true, but others would have taken the pish whilst not actually wanting the rivalry to disappear. The Hearts fans had no say in the situation; it was that James Hunt.

Oh of course, it was all down to the Mercenary. But I do think plenty Jambos liked the idea of being the only show in town and potentially challenging the Old Firm.

Of course they now love to peddle the fairy tale that Mercer actually saved Hibs.

Hibs3-2
22-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Signed and shared. Mayfield

HTD1875
22-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Absolutely shocking, make this post public so we can share hunnie xoxox

MB62
22-08-2019, 02:24 PM
The SKY T.V. money has, without doubt, been a massive boost for a lot of clubs in engerlund. More appropriately though, it has been a massive pay day for players and their agents, who have demanded, and got, incredible amounts of cash from clubs. Whilst the top clubs have hardly batted an eyelid at paying the money demanded, probably even encouraged it, as you drop down the divisions, the extension to this is, players who are no more than marginally above ordinary are also demanded a lot more than they should ever be worth. Clubs either pay the asking price, and risk going in to admin or worse, or don't pay and end up relegated and pay the price that way.
I think Bury will be just the tip of the iceberg and when one goes, there may just be a domino effect with others following suit.
It may well be just what is needed for football to get back to a sensible financial level.
Bury will come back as Bury athletic or whatever, and clubs will move up accordingly from lower divisions, hopefully paying players a more sensible salary that the working and middle classes can afford to watch.

Scotland, outside the bigot brothers and to a lesser extent a couple of others, have by and large resisted the demands from players for huge deals, hence we are seeing a load of journeyman football players plying their trade up here.

calumhibee1
22-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Absolutely shocking, make this post public so we can share hunnie xoxox

:greengrin

Pm’d you hun.

tamig
22-08-2019, 04:09 PM

My memory is of the hertz fans being very quiet about the whole thing. My experience is that there was no evidence to suggest a lot of them were against the FTB:’s plans.

Bostonhibby
22-08-2019, 04:26 PM
My memory is of the hertz fans being very quiet about the whole thing. My experience is that there was no evidence to suggest a lot of them were against the FTB:’s plans.That's my recollection too, it's how it was.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Saturday Boy
22-08-2019, 05:54 PM
John Hunter, chairman of the Hearts Supporters Association was on the platform at Easter Road at the rally, along with Joe Baker and the other Hibs greats.

Let’s not rewrite history.

Bostonhibby
22-08-2019, 06:02 PM
John Hunter, chairman of the Hearts Supporters Association was on the platform at Easter Road at the rally, along with Joe Baker and the other Hibs greats.

Let’s not rewrite history.Was there as well. There was a very small show of support from them generally about the city, unfortunately I shared an office with three who couldn't wait to see us go down the plug hole. Classic bigteamers.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

tamig
22-08-2019, 08:11 PM

So one guy was on a platform? I remember another hertz fans reps at the time - it may have been one of the Beiths - and his words on being interviewed on Radio Forth at the time were along the lines of “I will back whatever's in the best interests of hertz”. You could hear the gloating in his obnoxious voice. So who’s rewriting history now?

theonlywayisup
22-08-2019, 08:17 PM
I still remember the Hertz fans in the office with their fake anger stating how they would miss the derby, especially as they were so dominant in it. They loved everything that was happening to Hibs.

One Day
22-08-2019, 09:04 PM

Exactly, any I knew were quite happy to see us go under. There was only a handful at the rally at Easter Road. Another figure that seems to grow with time

JimBHibees
22-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Exactly, any I knew were quite happy to see us go under. There was only a handful at the rally at Easter Road. Another figure that seems to grow with time

Lucky if there was more than 20 hearts fans there. Saw loads of other fans strips such as airdrie, thistle etc. Make no mistake the vast majority were loving it.

weecounty hibby
22-08-2019, 09:40 PM
It's Jambo revisionism at its best and it's there to make them feel all big and powerful. "Look how we helped Hibs out. Wallace Mercer brought it to your attention how badly in debt Hibs were and actually saved your club. And we were all right there behind you Hibbies against the takeover." Total bull****. At best they were quiet on the subject, at worst they were sneering piss takers who were lapping it up. There may have been a few individuals who spoke out but they were very much in the Jambo minority

One Day
22-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Lucky if there was more than 20 hearts fans there. Saw loads of other fans strips such as airdrie, thistle etc. Make no mistake the vast majority were loving it.

I never even saw 20

Bishop Hibee
22-08-2019, 09:51 PM
I never even saw 20

Correct. The ones I worked with were ambivalent at best and loving it at worst. I could never dislike John Robertson after he spoke out against the takeover.

Good luck to Bury FC fans.

The Baldmans Comb
23-08-2019, 04:50 PM
What a lot of garbage on this thread. Bury FC go into liquidation big deal.

All that happens as many times before is a new club is formed Bury 2019 FC and it starts down in the 7th or 8th tier of English football and works it way back to wherever its natural place in the pecking order is.

Agreed re the dodgy owner of course but the fans will still have a home town club to support and very likely this time it will be the fans or genuine local businessmen who will be in charge calling all the shots.

Everyone in time forgets about the name change and they will still be Bury to their fanbase.

bigwheel
23-08-2019, 04:57 PM
We played Bury didn’t we...recall going there for a mid week pre season game ...think it may have been same pre-season as Oldham match

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said Man United will help Bury in any way the can, such as with players. Great gesture wee man :top marks

Would it be against the rules to just write Bury a cheque?

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said Man United will help Bury in any way the can, such as with players. Great gesture wee man :top marks

Any chance OGS could help us with players?

we are hibs
23-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Hopefully they dont give them alexis sanchez. Theyve suffered enough

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Hopefully they dont give them alexis sanchez. Theyve suffered enough

:greengrin

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2019, 05:39 PM
We played Bury didn’t we...recall going there for a mid week pre season game ...think it may have been same pre-season as Oldham match

I thought we'd played them in a midweek game late 70s early 80s, but apparently not? Those long overnighters in the back of a bus were always a bit hazy. :greengrin

Just Jimmy
23-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Would it be against the rules to just write Bury a cheque?why don't utd not just buy a player now, pass the cash and say the player will join them at the next window. it happens anyway and they can just loan the player back in January.

the money is a drop in the ocean to utd.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tamig
23-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Local MP was on 5 live a wee while ago and said he was hopeful of a successful bid completing. Proof of funding sent to EFL. Dale has to accept it though but he was fairly positive about that too.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2019, 07:13 PM

August 88. Same mini tour as Walsall and Oldham.

bigwheel
23-08-2019, 07:34 PM
August 88. Same mini tour as Walsall and Oldham.

Cheers Iggy. Went to all three..Walsall and Oldham being saturdays..think Bury was in the middle ....

SteveHFC
23-08-2019, 09:27 PM
ITV news saying Bury have been saved.

The Baldmans Comb
23-08-2019, 11:13 PM
ITV news saying Bury have been saved.

What a huge surprise...yawn yawn.

What was it this time ...a last minute debts write off agreement, a sale and lease back of the stadium, a sale of the club to some mystery benefactor.

Football clubs always survive either by finding their natural level, reforming under an almost identical name or being bought over by the next smuck who wants some self respect and attention by owning a football club.

Stop wasting your time and energy as its next to impossible for any football club to go bankrupt and cease existence.

tamig
23-08-2019, 11:14 PM

What was it this time ...a last minute debts write off agreement, a sale and lease back of the stadium, a sale of the club to some mystery benefactor.

Football clubs always survive either by finding their natural level, reforming under an almost identical name or being bought over by the next smuck who wants some self respect and attention by owning a football club.

Stop wasting your time and energy as its next to impossible for any football club to go bankrupt and cease existence.

Yawn. You’ve told us before.

Dav1986
24-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Ok, ok, we get it!

If that's how you feel, its easy enough to scroll past the thread!

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Very true, along with some Hearts Fans sitting in the Main Stand.

However, that's not the impression I got from most Hearts Fans I knew (except the older ones, who were all opposed).

Keith_M
24-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Cheers Iggy. Went to all three..Walsall and Oldham being saturdays..think Bury was in the middle ....

Which one of those games had a riot afterwards?

I seem to remember it as Oldham but memory could be playing tricks on me.

Paisley Hibby
24-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Looks like Bury might be saved after all; good! I was looking at the last club to be thrown out of the English Football League. That was Maidstone United in 1992. They were liquidated. The new Maidstone United is now in the National League. Interestingly, they don't claim the honours history of the original club - well why would they, it was liquidated? Surely nobody would think a new club could claim the honours of the previous club in such circumstances, would they.....?? 😉

SteveHFC
27-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Takeover called off for Bury.

HoboHarry
27-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Takeover called off for Bury.
Looking like they are goosed....

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Just heard on talksport that the company have withdrawn their offer for Bury, they did not give a reason for it.

I wonder if its going to take a club like Bury and more probably Bolton, to go bust and shock the FA into doing something with regards to people buying clubs and not really being fit and proper people to own a football club.

Saying that, i have no idea what they can do or even if they have the power to do anything?

Speedway
27-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Just heard on talksport that the company have withdrawn their offer for Bury, they did not give a reason for it.

I wonder if its going to take a club like Bury and more probably Bolton, to go bust and shock the FA into doing something with regards to people buying clubs and not really being fit and proper people to own a football club.

Saying that, i have no idea what they can do or even if they have the power to do anything?

They can mandate fairer income distribution if they wanted to, presumably?

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 03:45 PM
They can mandate fairer income distribution if they wanted to, presumably?

Can they, i thought the Premier league is on its own as an entity, and the football league negotiate for themselves?

I dont know what the distribution is from what they bring in though?

Speedway
27-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Can they, i thought the Premier league is on its own as an entity, and the football league negotiate for themselves?

I dont know what the distribution is from what they bring in though?

That’s what I meant, the sky/efl money is split by what division the teams are in, as I understand it.

So a more even distribution, though deeply unpopular with top championship clubs, is within their power to change.

Might be an idea to chuck some financial literacy courses for club owners into the package while they’re at it.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 04:25 PM
That’s what I meant, the sky/efl money is split by what division the teams are in, as I understand it.

So a more even distribution, though deeply unpopular with top championship clubs, is within their power to change.

Might be an idea to chuck some financial literacy courses for club owners into the package while they’re at it.

I dont know what the split is down in those leagues, but going by what we know about Bury it seems its about an unscrupulous owner who bought them for a £1, who buys a football team for a £1 unless they are in it to make money? :wink:

And Bolton have been a basket case for years after chasing the dream when in the premiership, i'm not so sure it comes down to a better share of the spoils, its down to mismanagement and underhand deals with these two.

And that is why in my opinion, they cant be helped by other teams, run the business properly, run it within your means and there should be no problems.

04Sauzee
27-08-2019, 04:28 PM
I dont know what the split is down in those leagues, but going by what we know about Bury it seems its about an unscrupulous owner who bought them for a £1, who buys a football team for a £1 unless they are in it to make money? :wink:

And Bolton have been a basket case for years after chasing the dream when in the premiership, i'm not so sure it comes down to a better share of the spoils, its down to mismanagement and underhand deals with these two.

And that is why in my opinion, they cant be helped by other teams, run the business properly, run it within your means and there should be no problems.

Even if they were a striker a defensive midfielder and winger short? They should still run it within their means? 😜

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Even if they were a striker a defensive midfielder and winger short? They should still run it within their means? 😜

Why would they be 3 players short if they were run properly? :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
27-08-2019, 04:45 PM
What a tragedy that two great old clubs, Bury and Bolton, just a stone's throw from each other, look like being liquidated in the same week. That must 275 years of history combined about to go down the tubes. Terrible for all concerned.

Callum_62
27-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Stop wasting your time and energy as its next to impossible for any football club to go bankrupt and cease existence.[emoji51]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

BoltonHibee
27-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Expelled from the football league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
27-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Very sad but can't say I'm surprised. It's been on the cards for several days now.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Yawn yawn indeed 😂

The 90+2
27-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Shan as anything for their fans.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Expelled from the football league

Sad day for them, but its what should happen rather than the circus we saw in 2012.

One Day In Time
27-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Sad day for English football. Probably won’t be the last either

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 12:26 AM
Where do they go now; will they even continue to operate?

A tragedy for one of the founding clubs of the Football League in England.

Hermit Crab
28-08-2019, 12:50 AM
Where do they go now; will they even continue to operate?

A tragedy for one of the founding clubs of the Football League in England.

Will they have start again in like the 10th tier of English football like Darlington did?

Swedish hibee
28-08-2019, 03:24 AM
Do they bring in another team to make up the 92 teams? How does this work?
So very sad for their fans. Can't imagine their pain.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 05:22 AM
Sad day for them, but its what should happen rather than the circus we saw in 2012.
:agree:

Hopefully when The Rangers go bust again there is no coming back for them this time

:na na:

Just Jimmy
28-08-2019, 05:53 AM
Do they bring in another team to make up the 92 teams? How does this work?
So very sad for their fans. Can't imagine their pain.just adjust the relegation places so one less team goes down in every division I think.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-08-2019, 06:27 AM
I feel sorry for the fans. When you see clubs like Bury who are ingrained into the heart of the community, and then you see the clubs on Match of the Day or Super Sunday's, it is almost a different sport.

JimBHibees
28-08-2019, 06:35 AM
I feel sorry for the fans. When you see clubs like Bury who are ingrained into the heart of the community, and then you see the clubs on Match of the Day or Super Sunday's, it is almost a different sport.

Totally the fans are the lifeblood of the game and the contrast between the haves and have nots couldn't be wider.

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Devastating news. And, now that we know the EFL isn’t bluffing, makes me all the more worried about Bolton’s fate.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2019, 07:06 AM
A club at the heart of the community, a massive loss and it tells you that although fans can relate to the “football family” in times of trouble and sadness. The reality of the the clubs is that the “royal” families are so far removed from the commoners there really is no comparison.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Will they have start again in like the 10th tier of English football like Darlington did?

I think Darlington started in the 8th, along with Halifax. Bury most likely to join the 9th apparently.

heretoday
28-08-2019, 07:14 AM
There are plenty of non-league clubs with equally loyal fans who would love the chance to take Bury's place.
Football is ten times harder than when we ourselves were in trouble in the early 90s and if you can't balance the books it's goodnight Vienna.

Lendo
28-08-2019, 07:17 AM
So what happens with player contracts? Are they voided and can the players go and look for new clubs? Anyone we can swoop in on?

Colr
28-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Don’t the lower league clubs in England benefit from the trickle down of the Premiership riches? Hence why Scottish clubs end up competing for players with Frickley Athletic!!!

Hibs Class
28-08-2019, 08:00 AM
As far as I can see the EFL agreed a five year TV deal worth £595m last Autumn, and the SPL agreed a deal worth £160m around the same time. So the issue doesn't seem to be a lack of money coming into football but rather greed and mismanagement. Properly run, there's no reason why any club should be going bust.

Pretty Boy
28-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Bury and surrounding areas has a population of almost 190 000 yet they were averaging crowds of 3K.

I feel heart sorry for everyone of those 3K but I'm sure a lot of those crying crocodile tears will make the journey to watch United and City every other week and never gave Bury FC a passing thought beyond having a 'soft spot' for them whenever they won a big game.

Everyone hates seeing a local football club or business lost but their failure to use them and the impact of that never enters their thought process when they moan about it.

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 09:27 AM
As far as I can see the EFL agreed a five year TV deal worth £595m last Autumn, and the SPL agreed a deal worth £160m around the same time. So the issue doesn't seem to be a lack of money coming into football but rather greed and mismanagement. Properly run, there's no reason why any club should be going bust.
The problem stems from the riches available in the Premier League, not least three mega-rich clubs coming in to the Championship every year with a dozen or more clubs trying to keep pace with their spending in the hope of getting promoted and reaping the benefits. This then has a trickle-down effect of players demanding more money to play at that level, even for sides yo-yoing between the two as with Bolton, and all snowballs from there really. The greed would certainly stem from the players/agents far more than the clubs themselves who are in a bit of a no-win situation on that front with fans demanding 'investment' (Newcastle and Arsenal spring to mind on that one).

Billy Whizz
28-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Is there a reason Bolton have been given an extra 14 days, but Bury haven’t?

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Is there a reason Bolton have been given an extra 14 days, but Bury haven’t?
Bury were already given their 14 day warning which actually ran out last week but they got an extension over the weekend.

Billy Whizz
28-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Bury were already given their 14 day warning which actually ran out last week but they got an extension over the weekend.

Ok thanks
Do you think Bolton will make it

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Ok thanks
Do you think Bolton will make it
In all honesty, no, I don't. We've heard so many times over the last few weeks and months that the takeover is "almost done" that it is incredibly hard to stay positive on that front. It certainly won't be dragged out - one way or the other - long enough for the 14 days though.

Renfrew_Hibby
28-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Gutted for Bury.

I knew nothing of the club until recently but they are 2 times winners of the FA cup and a club that was at the forefront of what is now the Football League. I for one will be following their fortunes now should they re enter the pyramid system, almost feel like they could be my English team as ive never really had one!

A couple of observations though. I noted a rant from Phil Neville a few days ago, saying what a discrace it was that this should happen to his home town club. What i didnt realise was that his family have been closely linked to the club for decades with both his father and mother serving the club in various roles since the eighties.
With that in mind then Phil, then why didnt you and your brother seek to get involved with Bury instead of ploughing in money to create a sudo mini Man Utd in Salford?

Also both Bury and Bolton have 2 giants of the game on their doorstep, its no coincidence that the majority of scottish clubs that have suffered financial meltdowns are clubs in the greater Glasgow area. Clydebank, Airdrie, Motherwell Hamilton and Partick Thistle spring to mind.

allmodcons
28-08-2019, 11:41 AM
The problem stems from the riches available in the Premier League, not least three mega-rich clubs coming in to the Championship every year with a dozen or more clubs trying to keep pace with their spending in the hope of getting promoted and reaping the benefits. This then has a trickle-down effect of players demanding more money to play at that level, even for sides yo-yoing between the two as with Bolton, and all snowballs from there really. The greed would certainly stem from the players/agents far more than the clubs themselves who are in a bit of a no-win situation on that front with fans demanding 'investment' (Newcastle and Arsenal spring to mind on that one).

:agree: I genuinely fell sorry for the real fans of Bury FC but the lower leagues in England is a House of Cards. Too many clubs spending way above their means to get to the holy grail that is the EPL.

It's a shambles that needs a massive shake up. There is nothing more infuriating than seeing Hibs competing with clubs like Yeovil Town for players.

Personally speaking, I hope the whole thing goes belly up in England. It's going to take something seismic for any real change to happen.

BoltonHibee
28-08-2019, 11:48 AM
In all honesty, no, I don't. We've heard so many times over the last few weeks and months that the takeover is "almost done" that it is incredibly hard to stay positive on that front. It certainly won't be dragged out - one way or the other - long enough for the 14 days though.

Bolton will be fine. They ****ed up really splitting Hotel and Football club with two different Administrators. The football club has a preferred bidder in FV and the Hotel has a couple of suitors...oh that also want the football club but can’t bid ( allegedly). It’s not as if there are no suitors, just waiting to see who folds first imo. FV haven’t got a pot to piss in otherwise deal would have been done quite some time ago for football club and hotel.

ballengeich
28-08-2019, 11:51 AM
A lot will depend on what happens to the stadium. If it's sold to someone who wants to run a football club there either following a cva or by setting up a phoenix club following liquidation then they could get back to their current position in a handful of years.

Clubs which disappear or whose resurrection struggles to reclaim the previous status tend to be those who lose their ground - Darlington, Maidstone, Clydebank etc.

Stonewall
28-08-2019, 11:55 AM
A lot will depend on what happens to the stadium. If it's sold to someone who wants to run a football club there either following a cva or by setting up a phoenix club following liquidation then they could get back to their current position in a handful of years.

Clubs which disappear or whose resurrection struggles to reclaim the previous statement tend to be those who lose their ground - Darlington, Maidstone, Clydebank etc.

Interview on the radio this morning suggested there were floating charges on the stadium so may not be that simple.

Keith_M
28-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Bolton have a really nice Stadium.

If the takeover doesn't succeed, could we maybe buy it and ship it up on the back of a really big lorry?

Iggy Pope
28-08-2019, 03:21 PM

If the takeover doesn't succeed, could we maybe buy it and ship it up on the back of a really big lorry?

Will we put it somewhere between Shawfair and Eskbank you think? Maybe get it up here on a big special train.

WhileTheChief..
28-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Clubs which disappear or whose resurrection struggles to reclaim the previous status tend to be those who lose their ground - Darlington, Maidstone, Clydebank etc.

Another Phoenix Club in Bolton?

Brian Potter won't be happy with that idea.

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Another Phoenix Club in Bolton?

Brian Potter won't be happy with that idea.
:top marks

Terribly sad day for Bury: 125 years in the Football League gone, just like that. A wee club on the doorstep of two massive clubs, you have to feel for the fans who stuck by Bury. Of course Bolton are also looking down the barrel, and this isn't the first time it's happened in that area: remember Stockport County? They are now in the National League and have a chance of re-gaining league status.

Only time will tell if/when Bury play their next game and at what level.

By the way, I just had a look at Bury's official site and there is no statement yet regarding expulsion. The club shop is offline.

tamig
28-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Whats happened to the Darlington stadium now? Are they not playing there any more?

ballengeich
28-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Whats happened to the Darlington stadium now? Are they not playing there any more?

An over-ambitious chairman moved them from their old town centre stadium, which I think is now housing, to a 25,000 capacity white elephant on the edge of town. They couldn't afford the cost, gradually deteriorated on the park and were eventually liquidated. A replacement club was formed and initially played in a neighbouring town, but I think they've now managed to return to a more modest ground in Darlington itself.

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2019, 05:17 PM

We have a really nice Stadium

Wee Ron means business

Why only yesterday I saw a painter painting the gates at the back of the West black

Keith_M
28-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Will we put it somewhere between Shawfair and Eskbank you think? Maybe get it up here on a big special train.

That's the plan, Iggy. Although I was thinking more of somewhere between Shawfair and Newcraighall.

I'm currently looking around for somebody renting out really big lorries.

Keith_M
28-08-2019, 05:26 PM

They moved from their previous home, Feethams, to The Darlington Arena (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darlington_Arena). It was a 25k seater but they only filled a fraction of it at home games.

That's now a Rugby Stadium and Darlington finally found a new home at Blackwell Meadows (https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-north/darlington-blackwell-meadows.html)

Squealing pig
28-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Gotta be a player or 2 worth a punt

overdrive
28-08-2019, 06:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/354969844673189/posts/1272097299627101?sfns=mo

David van Zanten has his say :wink:

tamig
28-08-2019, 07:39 PM
An over-ambitious chairman moved them from their old town centre stadium, which I think is now housing, to a 25,000 capacity white elephant on the edge of town. They couldn't afford the cost, gradually deteriorated on the park and were eventually liquidated. A replacement club was formed and initially played in a neighbouring town, but I think they've now managed to return to a more modest ground in Darlington itself.
I knew about the 25k stadium but wasn’t sure if they still played there. I see they are now playing in Darlington again and sharing a 3.5k capacity ground with a rugby club.

Here’s Lucy!
28-08-2019, 09:12 PM
As a wee lass, we lived near Bury. Sort of supported them, so am pretty sad to hear this.

They will come back in one form or another.

My dad would be upset about this.

SJNB Hibby
28-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Beeb reporting a deal has been struck and theyre saved

jax67
29-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Just heard that Callum Booth has been training with Bury, don’t know if he’d signed. Hope he finds another club soon. Good luck Callum.