PDA

View Full Version : Bolton Wanderers are doing it for the kids

Monts
19-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Bolton have postponed tomorrow's game against Doncaster due to fears of overusing young players, according to sky sports.

Thoughts?

Joe6-2
19-08-2019, 07:24 PM
They are in a bad way, and getting worse

BoltonHibee
19-08-2019, 07:32 PM
The side is made up of U18 players. The kids are knackered after playing 3 games in 9 days I think. It’s really a safety issue as they could possibly pick up some serious injuries.

That said the Admins pulled the game without informing the opposition or the EFL.

Right thing to do, but not the right way to go about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
19-08-2019, 07:41 PM
I think that's a fair call from them given what they're going through. I've no idea how they've got themselves into such a state, are they on the brink of liquidation?

LancsHibs
19-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Could it be that it’s delay tactics, expecting a heavier thumping than the one they got on Saturday? Is a club not obliged to fulfil its fixtures? A further points deduction may be on the cards. The situation with Bolton & Bury has made league 1 a bit of a farce and brings the integrity of the competition into question.

Stokesy's on fire
19-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Bolton and Bury....what a mess

jgl07
19-08-2019, 09:34 PM
18 and 19 year-olds can't play two matches a week?

Michael
19-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Two senior matches per week. When Andy Murray was starting his career he'd virtually pass out after some tennis matches. Athletes develop a lot in their twenties.

jgl07
19-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Two senior matches per week. When Andy Murray was starting his career he'd virtually pass out after some tennis matches. Athletes develop a lot in their twenties.

It didn't stop Murray winning an ATP final and becoming British Number one at the age of 19.

Bolton have been taking the p^ss for months now. It needs sorting soon or they are liable to be kicked out of the EFL.

500miles
19-08-2019, 10:22 PM
It didn't stop Murray winning an ATP final and becoming British Number one at the age of 19.

Bolton have been taking the p^ss for months now. It needs sorting soon or they are liable to be kicked out of the EFL.

ATP finals are 3 sets, he didn't win a 5 set masters until much later, which probably underlines the point.

It's also worth pointing out that you can cause young players long term problems by asking them to play a lot of fixtures, particularly against fully developed professionals.

The 90+2
19-08-2019, 10:27 PM
How come they keep being owned by complete rats?

jgl07
19-08-2019, 10:51 PM
ATP finals are 3 sets, he didn't win a 5 set masters until much later, which probably underlines the point.

It's also worth pointing out that you can cause young players long term problems by asking them to play a lot of fixtures, particularly against fully developed professionals.

Rubbish analogy.

Bolton are in League One (or the Third Division as it was once known). It is not exactly the top line of competition and is closer to the ATP Challenger Tour than the main ATP Tour let alone the Grand Slams or even the 1000 Series events if you want to make comparisons.

The rest of League One are being messed about by Bury not being able to establish than they can survive the season and because Bolton are unilaterally deciding that their players are 'feeling a bit tired',

Do Bolton not have any more Youth team players available to come in and rotate the squad?

BoltonHibee
19-08-2019, 10:54 PM

It would be 3 in a week. No they can’t, they are not ready. These kids are just getting shoved off the ball so easily, it’s only a matter of time before there is a serious injury to one of them. They are not at that level of fitness

BoltonHibee
19-08-2019, 10:56 PM

In this particular situation it’s not Bolton that’s taking the p^ss for weeks, it looks like the administrators and the preferred bidders.

Bolton have taken the puss for years in getting to this situation though

BoltonHibee
19-08-2019, 10:59 PM
How come they keep being owned by complete rats?

EFL have a lot to answer for. They approve the owners.

There is a lot to cover on this subject, too much for here, if Bolton were to go out of business I would bet that there will be a few at the EFL past and present ****ting themselves

BoltonHibee
19-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Rubbish analogy.

Bolton are in League One (or the Third Division as it was once known). It is not exactly the top line of competition and is closer to the ATP Challenger Tour than the main ATP Tour let alone the Grand Slams or even the 1000 Series events if you want to make comparisons.

The rest of League One are being messed about by Bury not being able to establish than they can survive the season and because Bolton are unilaterally deciding that their players are 'feeling a bit tired',

Do Bolton not have any more Youth team players available to come in and rotate the squad?

They are using U23 players and Under 18 players. I think they have one senior player left in books that is fit to play.

Also don’t forget that they have gone months without pay ( some have received recent payments). They cannot sign players either.

They have enough players at U23/ U18 to all train together and play at the moment. Nowt else

#2 Double Tap
19-08-2019, 11:03 PM
EFL have a lot to answer for. They approve the owners.

There is a lot to cover on this subject, too much for here, if Bolton were to go out of business I would bet that there will be a few at the EFL past and present ****ting themselves

sad state of affairs, there should be a law in place that allows fans to buy out the owners who are neglecting clubs.

Forza Fred
19-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Solution is simple, if not kind.

Bolton should be pulled out of the professional leagues.

Since452
20-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Can one of the gazillionaire EPL clubs like Bournemouth not help them out?

Dmas
20-08-2019, 05:35 AM

Didn’t the EFL stop Bury from playing games? Why have Bolton been allowed to start the season?

CloudSquall
20-08-2019, 05:36 AM
It's 90 minutes of football, you would think they were being sent out to the trenches of WW1.

Should be docked the 3 points.

BoltonHibee
20-08-2019, 06:15 AM

I agree, over spent for years and kept other clubs from progressing.

BoltonHibee
20-08-2019, 06:16 AM
Didn’t the EFL stop Bury from playing games? Why have Bolton been allowed to start the season?

Exactly.

Empty promises from preferred bidder and Administrators

BoltonHibee
20-08-2019, 06:17 AM
It's 90 minutes of football, you would think they were being sent out to the trenches of WW1.

They should be. Your first paragraph is a bit harsh

500miles
20-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Rubbish analogy.

It was your own analogy.

Fife-Hibee
20-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Rubbish analogy.

The lower leagues may be easier technically but in terms of sheer physicality and energy output, they're tougher than the Premiership. Injuries are more common in the lower leagues as a result. They've done the right thing pulling them out. Although the club really shouldn't be continuing in the league.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Can one of the gazillionaire EPL clubs like Bournemouth not help them out?

Did they help Bouremouth out when the shoe was on the other foot? Why should anyone help them? They got themselves into this mess.

Cataplana
20-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Deary me.

Just Jimmy
20-08-2019, 04:19 PM
football will be made better by natural selection and some clubs going bust.

it's all artificial financial doping and it's ruined the game.

clubs like Bournemouth are tin pot and can't hold a candle to hibs hearts and Aberdeen but cos they get some t.v. cash they're suddenly a big club?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
20-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but if they have enough players in their first team squad they should be playing, yes a lot of the team may be young but 2 games a week at that level should be fine, if not then at 19/20 years old they will struggle to push on, we arent talking EPL elite level

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2019, 04:25 PM

clubs like Bournemouth are tin pot and can't hold a candle to hibs hearts and Aberdeen but cos they get some t.v. cash they're suddenly a big club?

Bournemouth play in England, a nice part of England. They got a big investor because of this. The investment helped them get into the premier league so they make more money. No one is going to invest in Scottish football because it is pointless, the top division isn't attractive and doesn't reward anything.

Bournemouth haven't done anything wrong. You should direct anger at the people who run Scottish football.

SChibs
20-08-2019, 04:54 PM

The whole calling other clubs tinpot is a but jambo-ish imo. In football there are bigger clubs and smaller clubs in every country that's just how it has always been and will always be. Sometimes the smaller clubs do better than the bigger clubs but teams like Bournemouth have thousands of fans who supported them well before they got to the Premier League.

People say Bournemouth have only got to where they are because of the money down there but they are competing against bigger clubs who also have access to the big TV money too. It's just like Livingston holding their on in our egue just now really

BoltonHibee
20-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but if they have enough players in their first team squad they should be playing, yes a lot of the team may be young but 2 games a week at that level should be fine, if not then at 19/20 years old they will struggle to push on, we arent talking EPL elite level

They probably have around 18 or so eligible to play ( some are injured). It’s 3 games in a week.

The safety of the kids should come first in this instance.

BoltonHibee
20-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Bury have just been thrown out of the Carabao Cup, their league game against Tranmere has been postponed. They have until Friday to sort their **** out or it’s goodbye Bury

SJNB Hibby
20-08-2019, 05:18 PM

I once played 5 games in 7 days at university
Didnt kill me and i loved every minute
But they should definitely be docked points fir every cancelled game

Just Jimmy
20-08-2019, 05:31 PM
The whole calling other clubs tinpot is a but jambo-ish imo. In football there are bigger clubs and smaller clubs in every country that's just how it has always been and will always be. Sometimes the smaller clubs do better than the bigger clubs but teams like Bournemouth have thousands of fans who supported them well before they got to the Premier League.

People say Bournemouth have only got to where they are because of the money down there but they are competing against bigger clubs who also have access to the big TV money too. It's just like Livingston holding their on in our egue just now reallyswap Bournemouth for loads of clubs. they play to 12k people at Dean court. they spent approximately 50 million in the last window.

there is absolutely no way that is sustainable without artificial inflation.

point still stands, until the arse starts to fall out it all then the game is ruined. it would benefit greatly from a few going pop. however where does it stop? transfer fees are scandalous and frankly unsustainable.

Just Jimmy
20-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Bournemouth play in England, a nice part of England. They got a big investor because of this. The investment helped them get into the premier league so they make more money. No one is going to invest in Scottish football because it is pointless, the top division isn't attractive and doesn't reward anything.

Bournemouth haven't done anything wrong. You should direct anger at the people who run Scottish football.I'm not angry thanks.

I just think it's a joke that clubs with 12k capacity are punting 50 million a transfer window on bang average dross.

I like the premier league and I enjoy English football. I mentioned Bournemouth because it's an easy example.

how is that even sustainable?

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2019, 05:43 PM
I'm not angry thanks.

I just think it's a joke that clubs with 12k capacity are punting 50 million a transfer window on bang average dross.

I like the premier league and I enjoy English football. I mentioned Bournemouth because it's an easy example.

how is that even sustainable?

Because they get millions from sponsors and tv.

Bouremouth don't sign bang average dross, they have a decent squad and have done really well since promotion. Guys like Wilson, Cook, Lerma, Begovic, Fraser and Brooks are really good players.

Allant1981
20-08-2019, 05:45 PM
I once played 5 games in 7 days at university
Didnt kill me and i loved every minute
But they should definitely be docked points fir every cancelled game

As I say I'm maybe being harsh on them but we arent talking about 12 year old kids here, there are plenty 18-21 year olds in other sports that manage just fine with the workload

Hibernia&Alba
20-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Bolton and Bury....what a mess

Yes, two great old Lancashire clubs, both looking into the abyss. It's a real shame.

superfurryhibby
20-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Sorry to sound old fashioned but why would playing three games a week lead to you being hurt. Is there some inherent rising risk attached to this. From recollection, football for young men at under 21 level was rather robust, to say the least. A lot of big powerful laddies and the tackling was ferocious.

They may well take a hammering, so what?

Scouse Hibee
20-08-2019, 06:23 PM

What a strange way to look at things, Bournemouth tin pot?

Cataplana
20-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Yup I'm fed up being patronised by fans of teams that have never been above the second tier in England, never won a national trophy, and never played in European competition.

jgl07
20-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Because they get millions from sponsors and tv.

Bouremouth don't sign bang average dross, they have a decent squad and have done really well since promotion. Guys like Wilson, Cook, Lerma, Begovic, Fraser and Brooks are really good players.

Bournemouth are there on merit. They are a well run club who have progressed through the English League system. They didn’t magically appear in the Premier League to pick up the cash on offer. They had to achieve several promotions to do so.

Hibernia&Alba
20-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Greater Manchester contains two of the richest clubs in the world; couldn't they help out Bolton and Bury? Would that even be allowed?

Since452
20-08-2019, 07:16 PM
What a strange way to look at things, Bournemouth tin pot?

I remember when we signed that Hyndman guy from them on loan. The amount of derogatory and ignorant comments directed at us was nuts. Sunday league club, pub team etc, from Bournemouth fans...Bournemouth. The billions from Sky has gone right to a lot of folks heads. Personally can't wait till it goes tits up.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Bournemouth are there on merit. They are a well run club who have progressed through the English League system. They didn’t magically appear in the Premier League to pick up the cash on offer. They had to achieve several promotions to do so.

They have very wealthy owners who spent a lot of money to get them promoted.

Iggy Pope
21-08-2019, 05:47 AM

Going into administration in 2008 probably helped.

jgl07
21-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Going into administration in 2008 probably helped.

Remember they were managed by Harry Redknapp. Many of his former clubs including Portsmouth, Southampton ended up in administration.

Iggy Pope
21-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Remember they were managed by Harry Redknapp. Many of his former clubs including Portsmouth, Southampton ended up in administration.

Redknapp wasn’t at Bournemouth then or even near to then.
Well run you say.....

Oscar T Grouch
21-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Redknapp wasn’t at Bournemouth then or even near to then.
Well run you say.....

Recently ranked 4th in a Telegraph article about the best run clubs in England

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11767170/The-10-best-run-football-clubs-in-the-country.html?frame=3389560

Gus
21-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Greater Manchester contains two of the richest clubs in the world; couldn't they help out Bolton and Bury? Would that even be allowed?

Why should they though? Bolton & Bury has been mis-managed for year.

Look at the players they've had on their books over the last 2-3 years.

Chris Maguire for example would not have been cheap.

I hope for their fans they can pull through.

Back to OP, what an experience for the young players, if they're good enough they're old enough imo, I think this is the issue though, they're not good enough and it is jeopardising the sporting integrity of the leagues.

The EFL have failed their member clubs as this should have been sorted before the season start.

Both clubs if not in sound financial footing now by end of august should be expelled from divisions and can apply to join the bottom of the pyramid

Sounds harsh but something has to happen.

Iggy Pope
21-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Recently ranked 4th in a Telegraph article about the best run clubs in England

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11767170/The-10-best-run-football-clubs-in-the-country.html?frame=3389560

Administration will have helped them get there then I’m sure you agree.

Oscar T Grouch
21-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Administration will have helped them get there then I’m sure you agree.

Without a doubt, complete basket case before their admin, were in danger of dropping out the pro leagues altogether, but post admin they have been well run and kept within their means, even when reaching the EPL. They have a Russian billionaire owner who doesn't splash the cash but keeps them on an even keel.

Allant1981
21-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Manager and assistant manager both now resigned, you would have to be a fool to sign for them now so can see them being managerless for a wee while

Billy Whizz
21-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I remember someone telling me a story about Gary Cahill. When Chelsea were trying to sign him, the biggest issue over the transfer was, Cahill would have to take a pay cut to join Chelsea.
God knows what they were paying him at Bolton

Years and years of miss management at the likes of Bolton, coming back to bite them

04Sauzee
21-08-2019, 06:26 PM
I remember someone telling me a story about Gary Cahill. When Chelsea were trying to sign him, the biggest issue over the transfer was, Cahill would have to take a pay cut to join Chelsea.

Years and years of miss management at the likes of Bolton, coming back to bite them

The cost of the stadium to build in 1997 was £25m for a stadium that holds just shirt of 29k, what are Hearts at now for their main stand

LancashireHibby
21-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Sorry but that’s utter nonsense. We paid out some big wages in the Prem (Martin Petrov on £40k when we went down to the Championship being the worst) but Chelsea significantly increased his wages.

On the original topic, I’ve been to every game so far this season and, although the 0-0 against Coventry was a tremendously uplifting experience, it was achieved purely on adrenaline. Some of these kids are still waiting for their GCSE results and are in no way at all suitable to be playing league football en masse. When the Brentford game last season was called off, the club offered to play the youth team to fulfil the fixture but the league cited their safeguarding rules and turned down the request - Tuesday was essentially returning the favour.

As it is, much greater things are at play, not least the cost of actually hosting games, and the news this evening of Phil Parkinson’s resignation really is not a good sign of things to come.

I’ve been a Bolton fan since I was 7. My other half and I are both long-time season ticket holders. and indeed we met through watching Bolton. My mates are season ticket holders. My son is a season ticket holder. And we’re all in genuine fear that our club will cease to existence in the next few weeks.

jacomo
21-08-2019, 09:12 PM

There is an argument for that, if they cannot fulfil the basic requirements of being a professional football club - that is, to participate in and host fixtures.

Exactly what happened when Rangers went bust and needed to be replaced by ‘club 12’ while the mess was sorted... although Scottish football capitulated and let their replacement company straight back into the senior set up.

Billy Whizz
21-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Sorry but that’s utter nonsense. We paid out some big wages in the Prem (Martin Petrov on £40k when we went down to the Championship being the worst) but Chelsea significantly increased his wages.

On the original topic, I’ve been to every game so far this season and, although the 0-0 against Coventry was a tremendously uplifting experience, it was achieved purely on adrenaline. Some of these kids are still waiting for their GCSE results and are in no way at all suitable to be playing league football en masse. When the Brentford game last season was called off, the club offered to play the youth team to fulfil the fixture but the league cited their safeguarding rules and turned down the request - Tuesday was essentially returning the favour.

As it is, much greater things are at play, not least the cost of actually hosting games, and the news this evening of Phil Parkinson’s resignation really is not a good sign of things to come.

I’ve been a Bolton fan since I was 7. My other half and I are both long-time season ticket holders. and indeed we met through watching Bolton. My mates are season ticket holders. My son is a season ticket holder. And we’re all in genuine fear that our club will cease to existence in the next few weeks.

As I said, someone told me this, if you’re saying it’s not true, fair enough
I feel sorry for teams that have real issues about staying afloat, good luck to you and your team, hope it works out

As an aside, what sort of value of debt do Bolton have

LancashireHibby
21-08-2019, 09:39 PM
As I said, someone told me this, if you’re saying it’s not true, fair enough
I feel sorry for teams that have real issues about staying afloat, good luck to you and your team, hope it works out

As an aside, what sort of value of debt do Bolton have
Very little debt at all in real terms with less than £10m owed to creditors. The problem is finding prospective owners who have anything close to providing the sort of cash needed to run the club, with the administrators wanting proof of funding for £25m for the next two years. Long-term front runners Football Ventures are dependent on getting control of the hotel which is in a separate administration process and with a lot more competitors to take it over.

Smartie
21-08-2019, 09:47 PM

What, in your opinion, has led Bolton to be in this position?

Their plight seems to have been worse than all the other clubs and for quite a few years now. You point out a quite crazy wage for Petrov but there have been quite a few clubs to have made similarly eye-wateringly poor investments in players then compounded them by being relegated who don't seem to have suffered the sustained problems Bolton have.

I don't like seeing Bolton like this. They're a good club who have given the footballing world quite a few decent memories over the past few decades - pumping a strong Liverpool at Anfield in the cup, some cracking playoffs and having players like Okocha and Hierro.

LancashireHibby
21-08-2019, 10:03 PM
What, in your opinion, has led Bolton to be in this position?

Their plight seems to have been worse than all the other clubs and for quite a few years now. You point out a quite crazy wage for Petrov but there have been quite a few clubs to have made similarly eye-wateringly poor investments in players then compounded them by being relegated who don't seem to have suffered the sustained problems Bolton have.

I don't like seeing Bolton like this. They're a good club who have given the footballing world quite a few decent memories over the past few decades - pumping a strong Liverpool at Anfield in the cup, some cracking playoffs and having players like Okocha and Hierro.

It has been a steady decline that began while we were still in the Prem to be honest where the novelty was wearing off and crowds had dropped to c20k. Far from alone in that point, while there was undoubtedly a lot of complacency for as long as Eddie Davies was there to sign the cheques - and his debt was written off - but, like so many clubs, you’re an ill owner away from chaos. Stoke have got all of the tell tale signs of falling in to a similar trap over the next few years.

The now former owner - Ken Anderson - wasn’t even interested in buying the club after Davies had to sell up because of ill health and was roped in by Dean Holdsworth (with an hour to go before HMRC liquidated us, no less) who then turned out not to have a penny.

We’ve then had three years of Anderson running the club on his own, falling out with all sorts and eventually reaching the problems at the back end of last season with failing to fulfil the Brentford game.

Where we go from here is hard to determine as there really aren’t any precedents for a club of our size - Rangers were always going to have a queue of egomaniacs wanting to buy them, while the likes of Chester/Darlington/Wimbledon/Hereford were small enough clubs to have a low cost base to build from and a supporters trust that are able to be truly representative of their fan base. I know that might not quite sound right, but with a club the size of Bolton there are so many different directions that it would be virtually impossible to get the fans to agree on anything or unite behind a supporters trust etc - I suspect Hibs would face something similar in a situation like that, though hopefully we never find out.

darwenhibby
21-08-2019, 10:26 PM
A few years ago there was talk of a Manchester Northend a merger of the north Manchester towns bolton Bury and Rochdale coming together
Is this still an option do you think ?
They could start to challenge Salford City and then put in a respectable alternative to City and United
The north Manchester towns/ clubs are no longer going to be able to compete individually in English football

jgl07
21-08-2019, 11:50 PM
A few years ago there was talk of a Manchester Northend a merger of the north Manchester towns bolton Bury and Rochdale coming together
They could start to challenge Salford City and then put in a respectable alternative to City and United
The north Manchester towns/ clubs are no longer going to be able to compete individually in English football
About as much chance of a merger between Hibs and Hearts.

Bury and Bolton in particular are historic rivals. When will people learn that you cannot merge clubs like supermarket chains.

LancashireHibby
22-08-2019, 05:43 AM

First I’ve heard of that one. And it would never happen anyway. Although such towns are relatively close on a map, they’re all sizeable places in their own right. And Salford will be as goosed as the rest of us once they reach their glass ceiling of League One and their new fans drop off and Lim gets bored.

grunt
26-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Statement on behalf of Paul Appleton, Joint Administrator For Bolton Wanderers

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-on-behalf-of-paul-appleton-joint-administrator-for-bolton-wanderers4/?fbclid=IwAR2qGrZvvyKnwQm7OBbBYQV3uvt14rK4tOjEuHmC ffX3X1I5S_XouNUJgOs

At 5pm on Friday August 23, the completion of the sale of the football club and the hotel had been agreed by all parties and undertakings had been issued by all solicitors except those of Ken Anderson.

Devastatingly, on Saturday morningthat deal collapsed. At this stage, there seems little point in apportioning blame because that makes no difference to the staff, players, management, supporters and the community who have once more seen their club taken back to the brink.

My team have spent the last 48 hours working around the clock, striving to get a deal back on track and trying to convince the parties still in conflict that the very fate of Bolton Wanderers depends on them finding a compromise.

The EFL have made their position clear by insisting on a 5pm deadline on Tuesday for a deal to be completed or give compelling reasons for an extension. They have also written to everybody concerned in the process to underline that sense of urgency.

On Sunday evening, there was some tentative dialogue but we are still some way from reaching a solution. Therefore, I am appealing to those parties whose position seems intractable to do everything to reach a compromise.

In just over 24 hours, the club will have its membership of the EFL revoked. Over and above that, the club is currently not in a position to carry on trading and, as such, the process of closing down the company will commence on Wednesday.

This will ultimately lead to its liquidation, the expulsion of the club from the EFL and the inevitable loss of over 150 jobs. More than that, it will devastate a community for whom the football club is a beacon of hope and expectation.

I reiterate, unless there is a change of position from any of the parties involved, the process of closing down the club and ultimately placing Bolton Wanderers into liquidation will begin this week.

Monts
26-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Anyone worth snapping up if the deal doesn't materialise?

Torto7
26-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Just to add to this is Yoan Zouma any good?

Steven79
26-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Bolton Wanderers are on the brink of liquidation after the latest takeover deal to buy the club collapsed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49470865

BoltonHibee
26-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Just to add to this is Yoan Zouma any good?

Prob only one that could play, any others would be development

Torto7
26-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Prob only one that could play, any others would be development

Thanks. I seen a little bit of him when he played for Angers and he impressed.

hibeeleicester
26-08-2019, 12:54 PM
It has been a steady decline that began while we were still in the Prem to be honest where the novelty was wearing off and crowds had dropped to c20k. Far from alone in that point, while there was undoubtedly a lot of complacency for as long as Eddie Davies was there to sign the cheques - and his debt was written off - but, like so many clubs, you’re an ill owner away from chaos. Stoke have got all of the tell tale signs of falling in to a similar trap over the years.

Why do you say Stoke, out of curiosity?

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2019, 04:16 PM

You vulture :greengrin

LancashireHibby
26-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Why do you say Stoke, out of curiosity?
A lot of similarities to when Bolton came down. Crowds declining even before relegation, retaining well-paid players in an effort to go back up and then desperately trying to offload them after a couple of years in the Championship. The horizon of the parachute payments running out and a massive reliance on a fan-come-good benefactor with no sign of an upturn in results.

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Ten league games without a goal for Bolton! What a mad situation they are in.

LancashireHibby
27-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Ten league games without a goal for Bolton! What a mad situation they are in.

That’s the least of our worries. Sadly, today might be the day.

hibbyfraelibby
27-08-2019, 09:42 AM
Wonder is Sevco or Pacific Shelf will buy them as a backdoor to Ingerlish football

.Sean.
27-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Not read the full thread so apologise if I come across as arsey but why are Bolton getting such crappy crowds? On their deathbed and they’ve pulled their lowest ever crowd at the Reebok??

LancashireHibby
27-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Not read the full thread so apologise if I come across as arsey but why are Bolton getting such crappy crowds? On their deathbed and they’ve pulled their lowest ever crowd at the Reebok??
We've not had any season tickets on sale so everyone has had to pay out £20 for tickets for each game so far, with Saturday being the third home game of the month. Mounts up when people are using to pay x amount per month on Direct Debit. Must admit I've been to every game home and away this season but missed Saturday's game as I was at the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley and actually bumped in to at least a dozen other Bolton fans that I know. In fact, out of a group of 11 of us that had season tickets last year, 8 were at Wembley and only 3 at the Bolton game, so that just shows the money lost from season tickets (quite rightly) not being on sale.

For what it's worth, the game against Coventry a few weeks ago had 7,000 home fans and that was with tickets only being on sale from 11am the day before the game with no sales allowed on matchday!

Hibernia&Alba
27-08-2019, 04:49 PM
It's looking like the end for Bolton and Bury. Such a shame for two traditional old clubs.

Since452
27-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Maybe some sort of protest. They've been selling out away from home

SJNB Hibby
27-08-2019, 05:31 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49479847

See the last 2 paragraphs----somebody will get in trouble for that---but good on them:aok::aok:

LancashireHibby
27-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Maybe some sort of protest. They've been selling out away from home
See my post above.

You’re correct about away from home as well - I was one of the 1,800 who went to Wycombe (400 mile round trip) at 3 days notice, the 1,600 we took to a League Cup game at Rochdale and 2,000 for an inevitable thumping at Tranmere. The atmosphere has been fantastic during each game and, despite the results, the kids on the pitch have been fantastic. Here’s hoping we get a chance to see them play again.

Since452
27-08-2019, 05:44 PM
See my post above.

You’re correct about away from home as well - I was one of the 1,800 who went to Wycombe (400 mile round trip) at 3 days notice, the 1,600 we took to a League Cup game at Rochdale and 2,000 for an inevitable thumping at Tranmere. The atmosphere has been fantastic during each game and, despite the results, the kids on the pitch have been fantastic. Here’s hoping we get a chance to see them play again.

Fingers crossed mate must be awful

Nakedmanoncrack
27-08-2019, 06:20 PM
It's looking like the end for Bolton and Bury. Such a shame for two traditional old clubs.

Wouldn't think there's anything to worry about - will just come back as themselves surely 😃

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Fourteen days respite to complete a takeover. It's better than nothing; fingers crossed Bolton can get something organised.

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Fourteen days respite to complete a takeover. It's better than nothing; fingers crossed Bolton can get something organised.
It will all be finalised - one way or another - much sooner than 14 days. No money left in the pot and payday later this week, so it’ll need the prospective new owners to put in enough cash to cover that or the administrators will declare us insolvent and start the closing down process.

Hibs Class
28-08-2019, 08:14 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49479847

See the last 2 paragraphs----somebody will get in trouble for that---but good on them:aok::aok:

I can see you posted this yesterday evening, but the page linked to was update around 6am this morning and the last two paras look quite bland. Presumably the original article referenced another club that died and was resurrected, but someone then leaned on the BBC to delete that particular example?

Billy Whizz
28-08-2019, 05:26 PM
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-on-behalf-of-david-rubin--partners-administrators-for-bolton-wanderers3/

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 05:27 PM
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-on-behalf-of-david-rubin--partners-administrators-for-bolton-wanderers3/
Words can’t describe the relief I’m feeling at this moment in time.

Pretty Boy
28-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Great news for Bolton fans.

Hopefully they kick on from here and the new owners have learned a few lessons.

Billy Whizz
28-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Who is behind the new company

Smartie
28-08-2019, 06:14 PM
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/steve-dale-bury-fc-owner-ken-anderson-bolton-wanderers-expelled-football-league/

An interesting story I just read about a couple of the men involved with the clubs in trouble this week, along with a mention of a familiar name at the bottom of the article.

That boy Ken Anderson at Bolton sounds like an absolute ****bag.

I feel sorry for folk whose clubs fall into the hands of these guys.

We have "fit and proper" tests up here but how on Earth can a guy who has had 8 bankruptcies get his hands on a football club as big a Bolton?

His conduct relating to Forest Green sounds disgusting.

Keith_M
28-08-2019, 06:23 PM
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/steve-dale-bury-fc-owner-ken-anderson-bolton-wanderers-expelled-football-league/

An interesting story I just read about a couple of the men involved with the clubs in trouble this week, along with a mention of a familiar name at the bottom of the article.

That boy Ken Anderson at Bolton sounds like an absolute ****bag.

I feel sorry for folk whose clubs fall into the hands of these guys.

We have "fit and proper" tests up here but how on Earth can a guy who has had 8 bankruptcies get his hands on a football club as big a Bolton?

His conduct relating to Forest Green sounds disgusting.

He must have passed the English FA's FaPP test.

LancashireHibby
28-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Who is behind the new company
Group of various business types, they’ve been trying to take over the club for months and months so their perseverance is a good sign. One of their main bods is a massive Bolton fan who has basically been paying the wages of the club and hotel staff since being in administration even with no guarantee that his consortium would be able to take the club over.

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2019, 06:46 PM

That's a huge step forward. Hopefully the takeover stands up and the new owners are competent and can get Bolton out of their mess and back on an even footing. That extension proved invaluable.

After Bury's expulsion, it would have been tragic for Bolton to have gone the same way.

Excellent news :agree:

bingo70
28-08-2019, 06:51 PM
I’ve always had a feeling there’ll be a solution found to the Heckingbottom problem by a club coming in for him, we’ll pretend to put up resistance but ultimately it suits all parties for him to move on so a deal is agreed.

I wonder if Bolton, with new owners and giving him some money to spend could be the club that offer him a route out of Hibs and allows everyone to save face.

Said it a few times but think that’s what happened with Williamson, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Heckers agent is putting his feelers out to clubs like Bolton as we speak.

Since452
28-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Really chuffed for you

SJNB Hibby
28-08-2019, 10:00 PM
I’ve always had a feeling there’ll be a solution found to the Heckingbottom problem by a club coming in for him, we’ll pretend to put up resistance but ultimately it suits all parties for him to move on so a deal is agreed.

I wonder if Bolton, with new owners and giving him some money to spend could be the club that offer him a route out of Hibs and allows everyone to save face.

Said it a few times but think that’s what happened with Williamson, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Heckers agent is putting his feelers out to clubs like Bolton as we speak.

Entitled to your own opinion...but ALWAYS??
Seriously:confused:

bingo70
29-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Entitled to your own opinion...but ALWAYS??
Seriously:confused:

Jeezo, out of all that post you pick me up on one word.

Of course, you’re right, it’s not been ‘always’, well spotted.

Ok, since things started to go a bit wrong and it became obvious he wasn’t popular amongst the support I felt it likely a solution will be found by him finding another club to go to. I wonder if Bolton might be a club that offers him a route out of Hibs.

It’s near his part of the world, he’s got a credible record at Hibs still so could leave with his reputation in tact and Bolton are a big club where he’ll likely be given time to turn things around.

Will probably depend on how much the new Bolton owners have to spend of course but on the face of it I think it’s a move that could suit all parties, when that’s the case it wouldn’t surprise me at all if his agent is making moves in the background.

heretoday
29-08-2019, 08:55 AM
I think Bolton might have someone more distinguished than Heck in mind. We'll have to get rid of him somewhere else!

Steven79
29-08-2019, 09:41 AM
I can see you posted this yesterday evening, but the page linked to was update around 6am this morning and the last two paras look quite bland. Presumably the original article referenced another club that died and was resurrected, but someone then leaned on the BBC to delete that particular example?

BoltonHibee
29-08-2019, 10:18 AM
I think Bolton might have someone more distinguished than Heck in mind. We'll have to get rid of him somewhere else!

Kevin Nolan being heavily touted as the new manager.

Allant1981
29-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Can teams outwith the EPL still sign players? If not then what happens going forward as the authorities did not want kids playing which im presuming will still be the case

BoltonHibee
29-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Can teams outwith the EPL still sign players? If not then what happens going forward as the authorities did not want kids playing which im presuming will still be the case

Yes that transfer window is still open. However I think Bolton are under some sort of transfer embargo. I’m sure they can only sign players out of contract at moment.