PDA

View Full Version : Cup Top Up

Exuberance1875
19-08-2019, 10:54 AM
They should have kept this incentive, was a easy way of stopping terrible crowds like on Saturday.

Plus it was an easy money maker for the club

matty_f
19-08-2019, 10:58 AM
They should have kept this incentive, was a easy way of stopping terrible crowds like on Saturday.

Plus it was an easy money maker for the club

I agree we should have kept it, but I think the fact that it was the opposite of a money maker for the club was the reason it was stopped.

I'd love to see if reintroduced if they could make it work.

hibee_girl
19-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Didn’t they stop it when the new format for the league cup was introduced? Pretty sure it meant the club would lose money on it if they continued it

Carheenlea
19-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Cup Top Up was always a sort of gamble with not knowing how many games you would get for the price. It worked out to be very good value for the fans for a few seasons, but not for club gate income. Far better for both fan and club to simply give ST holders a slight discount to give some added value to owning a ST.

Sir David Gray
19-08-2019, 11:21 AM
I don't see why they couldn't increase the cost of the top up (due to the fact we're guaranteed at least two home League Cup games now). Surely that was possible?

hibstag
19-08-2019, 02:44 PM
I don't see why they couldn't increase the cost of the top up (due to the fact we're guaranteed at least two home League Cup games now). Surely that was possible?

I think the problem for the viability of a reduced cup top up for ST holders is caused by these two home games as they will be against an Elgin or Montrose level team looking for maxim revenue from a big game, where they'd want half the gate of a 4000+ crowd at full price per head which is still more than they would take at any home game in the coming season.

Hibs would have to subsidise the difference in cost and the amount of Hibs fan walk ups paying full price would effected by a popular plan with a large season ticket cohort so limiting on the day ticket income.

Im sure the first few years (around the mid 00s) with small ST numbers had the old firm at home draws which off set this gamble a bit

dangermouse
19-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Cup Top Up was always a sort of gamble with not knowing how many games you would get for the price. It worked out to be very good value for the fans for a few seasons, but not for club gate income. Far better for both fan and club to simply give ST holders a slight discount to give some added value to owning a ST.

Aye £2 cheaper for the game against Morton. Cut the price by £5 or more for ST holders and there may have been another couple of thousand at ER on Saturday.

theonlywayisup
19-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Didn’t they stop it when the new format for the league cup was introduced? Pretty sure it meant the club would lose money on it if they continued it

Yes, I think you are right.

Just say we got 10,000 at the Alloa, Arbroath and Morton games, that would have been more money paid to each of those three teams after deductions for stewarding etc. Hibs might not have made enough money from the "top-up".

theonlywayisup
19-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Aye £2 cheaper for the game against Morton. Cut the price by £5 or more for ST holders and there may have been another couple of thousand at ER on Saturday.

Doubt it. I honestly don't believe that a £5 difference in ticket price would have much impact on attendances, certainly not a couple of thousand.

Exuberance1875
19-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Would have been good to see the place rocking against Morton, could have helped the performance

RyeSloan
19-08-2019, 04:16 PM

Or simply exclude the LC group games from it?

Ringothedog
19-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Would have been good to see the place rocking against Morton, could have helped the performance

We had the second biggest crowd of the 8 ties, the stadium was never going to be “rocking” and never is at this stage of the league cup

hibby6270
19-08-2019, 09:08 PM

You’re right. That’s how it was justified at the time it was stopped.

I prefer to reflect on the CTU days in much the same way the much lamented Loyalty Points scheme was laid to rest, probably never to be resurrected.

The final CTU season did however go out in a blaze of glory culminating with that day in May 2016.:greengrin If you look back, the £25 Early Bird cost that season turned out to be the bargain of the century!!

RIP CTU. :boo hoo::violin:

MixuMac
19-08-2019, 10:24 PM
I would rather get the league cup round robin games included as the early bird incentive instead of a £20 saving on my season ticket. This would maybe help with low crowds for these games.

percy veer
20-08-2019, 03:13 AM
why was the league cup format changed, certainly not for higher attendances. just should have kept it the same but play the final in October/ November IMO