View Full Version : "5 winnable games"

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 09:15 AM
St Johnstone h
Motherwell a
Kilmarnock a
Hearts h
Kilmarnock a

I've read a few people saying that we've got 5 winnable games coming up and that after we play them, any doubts we may have could ease.

Obviously 12 points and progression in the league cup is what everyone hopes for, but what are people's expectations and secondly, what return do we need to confirm that Hecky is on the right track?

I'm not hard to please. For me, if we get home wins against St Johnstone and hearts, I'll be able to give our management team the benefit of the doubt. If we can get anything from the 3 away trips, all the better. Even 4 draws and a cup win might just about keep me curious, but any less and my current status of "unconvinced" will change to "totally convinced" and not in a good way.

Of course, 9 or more points and a semifinal will have me looking out my happy clapper gloves once again.

Since452
19-08-2019, 09:19 AM
See no reason why we cant get 12 points from that. None of those teams look impressive or any better than us. A clean sheet on Saturday would go a long way to convincing me!

Phil MaGlass
19-08-2019, 09:20 AM
7pts from that I think.

CapitalGreen
19-08-2019, 09:22 AM
4 points and out the league cup

where'stheslope
19-08-2019, 09:23 AM
All games are winnable, but its what team turns up for each game that's the problem!
At the moment in Scottish football it seems each team can do damage to the other, but there is no consistency from game to game.
I think 3 wins and a draw from these games would be outstanding!!!!

B.H.F.C
19-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Will be hugely surprised if we were to win them all, I don’t think we have it in us to be that consistent at the moment.

None of the other teams are brilliant so it will probably be a case of all taking points of each other. I think we’ll get more points than we drop in that run but we won’t win them all.

The 90+2
19-08-2019, 09:28 AM
5 points and through to the Semi.

Forza Fred
19-08-2019, 09:30 AM
We’ll beat St Johnstone, and draw with Killie in the league.

Feart to predict any outcome in the others, as it depends on how the players turn up on the day.

Billy Whizz
19-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Sorry but one game at a time😄

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 09:36 AM

That'll confirm that Hecky is on the right track? :confused:

Monts
19-08-2019, 09:38 AM
4 wins and a loss to hearts would see the hexit campaign become even more divisive.

calumhibee1
19-08-2019, 09:38 AM
6 and progression in the cup would be the minimum I’d hope for and would be a solid if unspectacular start to the season. 9 points from 6 and a cup semi.

I think we’ll get 7 and a cup win from looking at the games though. 2 home wins, a draw and a defeat away and through in the cup in ET.

we are hibs
19-08-2019, 09:51 AM
St Johnstone D
Motherwell L
Kilmarnock L
Hearts W
Kilmarnock W.

basehibby
19-08-2019, 09:56 AM
All winnable games - but if Hecky (or Lennon or Stubbs before him) won all of them he'd deserve a medal.

Even a team on steamroller form is likely to hit the odd glitch or just encounter another side hitting their stride so 5 wins out of 5 would be exceptional.

If we got something like three wins a draw and a loss it could still be considered good form.

Since452
12 points and cup progression. 40 goals for 35 against. Killie will take us to pens after us leading them 4-0 at HT and there'll be a Heckingbottom out poll on here after the game.

worcesterhibby
St Johnstone h - 2-1 win
Motherwell a 2-2 draw
Kilmarnock a 0-1 lose
Hearts h 2-2 draw
Kilmarnock a 3-1 win

so 5 points and a cup win..with only one defeat.

Billy Whizz
19-08-2019, 10:06 AM
I must admit, nice to see a positive thread on here😄

oldbutdim
19-08-2019, 10:15 AM
6 and progression in the cup would be the minimum I’d hope for and would be a solid if unspectacular start to the season. 9 points from 6 and a cup semi.

I think we’ll get 7 and a cup win from looking at the games though. 2 home wins, a draw and a defeat away and through in the cup in ET.

I'd go with this.

(But win in normal time at Killie.)

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 10:22 AM
I must admit, nice to see a positive thread on here😄

I phrased it as positively as I could. :aok:

danhibees1875
19-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Cup progress and 5-7 points would be a good return on those games.

Brightside
19-08-2019, 10:57 AM
If we win all of these I'm happy to bet that some on here will still be complaining.

wookie70
19-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Cup progress and 5-7 points would be a good return on those games. That is where I am. The Cups are very important to me. Silverware always trumps european nights or derby wins. 5-7 points gives us a fair start to the league and hopefully the anticipation will keep the Heck Haters looking a bit more positively at the manager and team.

The Leith Dutch
19-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Assuming we're targeting 3rd or 4th with a cup run as a good season I'd say St Johnstone is a must win and you'd want 3 or 4 out of the two away games that follow.
Getting 2 points or worse from that is below par for top 4 - doesn't mean we're out of it but we'd want good results elsewhere (either us or other teams) to compensate.

The Derby is the Derby - any result possible regardless of how each team is playing though I'd bet on the draw with both teams being more concerned with not losing.

I'd be delighted with 7 points in the league and a cup semi to deliver part of our target and see us in good shape for top 4.

W - St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock (cup)
L - Kilmarnock (league)
D - Hearts

CapitalGreen
19-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Sorry took your advice from the pun discussion on the transfer thread to skip past posts where when the content didn’t interest me so missed your question, thought folk were just giving predictions.

The Leith Dutch
19-08-2019, 11:16 AM
If we win all of these I'm happy to bet that some on here will still be complaining.

That's not always accurate. Sometimes there's no complaints but people just blame the fact a player is being scouted ;)

MacGruber
19-08-2019, 11:26 AM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

I can't see this team winning much away from home.
We will do better at home but not v Hearts this season, the way our team is set up couldn't suit a derby match less and we'll get steamrollered

calumhibee1
19-08-2019, 11:29 AM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

We will do better at home but not v Hearts this season, the way our team is set up couldn't suit a derby match less and we'll get steamrollered

Hearts won’t steam roller anybody. Much less us at ER.

Edit: I just saw your score line prediction for the derby. At least I know you were kidding now.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-08-2019, 11:30 AM
I love these next X games’ threads ;) wonder when it became “a thing” probably around the time managers started trotting out “one game at a time” :)

MacGruber
19-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Hearts won’t steam roller anybody. Much less us at ER.

Edit: I just saw your score line prediction for the derby. At least I know you were kidding now.

The derby matches will be the usual physical battles, full of aggression and blood and thunder stuff. We aren't looking particularly blessed in those attributes and I fear our midfield will get rag-dolled. Hope I'm wrong.

Onceinawhile
19-08-2019, 11:42 AM
It's an interesting question, that most people have ignored in favour of merely predicting results.

Taking the fact Killie is a cup game out of the equation, we have 3 games v teams we finished above last season and two vs a team we finished below.

For PH to be the right man, I'm looking for progression. That means beating St Johnstone, picking up a point at fir park, at least a point in the derby and picking up a point in Kilmarnock.

So overall, 6 points and taking killie to at least extra time.

But as is so often the case, it's hard to judge. If we were to win 4 games and get papped by hearts, I'd be calling for his head!

Pagan Hibernia
19-08-2019, 11:53 AM

nah. Win all 5 (hopefully a thumping win in the derby, not that that ever happens) and everything will be sunshine and roses

Hibernian Verse
19-08-2019, 11:54 AM
St Johnstone h
Motherwell a
Kilmarnock a
Hearts h
Kilmarnock a

I've read a few people saying that we've got 5 winnable games coming up and that after we play them, any doubts we may have could ease.

Obviously 12 points and progression in the league cup is what everyone hopes for, but what are people's expectations and secondly, what return do we need to confirm that Hecky is on the right track?

I'm not hard to please. For me, if we get home wins against St Johnstone and hearts, I'll be able to give our management team the benefit of the doubt. If we can get anything from the 3 away trips, all the better. Even 4 draws and a cup win might just about keep me curious, but any less and my current status of "unconvinced" will change to "totally convinced" and not in a good way.

Of course, 9 or more points and a semifinal will have me looking out my happy clapper gloves once again.

Really feel you've missed an opportunity to run a competition in conjunction with your thread.

Lago
19-08-2019, 11:56 AM
It will be the track back south then.

One Day Soon
19-08-2019, 11:56 AM
I predict:

St Johnstone h - win
Motherwell a - lose
Kilmarnock a - draw
Hearts h - lose
Kilmarnock a - lose

Happy about progress would look like:

St Johnstone h - win
Motherwell a - draw
Kilmarnock a - draw
Hearts h - win
Kilmarnock a - win

So, 8 pts and cup progression would start to move me a little away from my current cautiously pessimistic ambivalent Bed Clapper position.

sahpaton
19-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Over a month until 2 of these games so how anyone can confidently predict a derby hammering or cup exit already is beyond me. One game at a time, bring on St J.

greenlex
19-08-2019, 12:28 PM
It's an interesting question, that most people have ignored in favour of merely predicting results.

Taking the fact Killie is a cup game out of the equation, we have 3 games v teams we finished above last season and two vs a team we finished below.

For PH to be the right man, I'm looking for progression. That means beating St Johnstone, picking up a point at firhill, at least a point in the derby and picking up a point in Kilmarnock.

But as is so often the case, it's hard to judge. If we were to win 4 games and get papped by hearts, I'd be calling for his head!
It could be regarded as progress but someone will be straight in saying it’s because the other teams have regressed.

SquashedFrogg
19-08-2019, 12:29 PM
It will be the track back south then.

Hilarious.

Kavinho
19-08-2019, 12:45 PM
I predict:

St Johnstone h - win
Motherwell a - lose
Kilmarnock a - draw
Hearts h - lose
Kilmarnock a - lose

Happy about progress would look like:

St Johnstone h - win
Motherwell a - draw
Kilmarnock a - draw
Hearts h - win
Kilmarnock a - win

So, 8 pts and cup progression would start to move me a little away from my current cautiously pessimistic ambivalent Bed Clapper position.

Got to love a bed clapper!
Not enough of them about in my opinion

Kavinho
19-08-2019, 12:47 PM
I'd like to see 8 or 9 points in those League games to feel like we are starting to move forward.

6 or less is a concern.

The 90+2
19-08-2019, 12:48 PM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

Hearts are pap. Where on earth are they getting 4 goals from? 🙈🙈

SquashedFrogg
19-08-2019, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see 8 or 9 points in those League games to feel like we are starting to move forward.

6 or less is a concern.

Agree. 6 takes us back to where we were pre PH.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2019, 01:08 PM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

:faf:

4-1, are you serious?

CMurdoch
19-08-2019, 01:32 PM

For PH to be the right man, I'm looking for progression. That means beating St Johnstone, picking up a point at firhill, at least a point in the derby and picking up a point in Kilmarnock.

Enjoy yourself at Firhill :wink:

Onceinawhile
19-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Enjoy yourself at Firhill :wink:

It's a shame we aren't playing at firhill! Now amended!

DTS
19-08-2019, 04:40 PM
i think they need to be taken on individual merit. 9 league points but losing to hearts and killie in the cup probably have people wanting him out whereas 6 league points coming from St J and hearts along with a cup win would have people happy.

I’m in the middle I want us to look good going forward(I think we do currently) and steady at the back again like we did when he first came in.

Obviously all the games are winnable but I doubt we’ll win them all but would be disappointed to lose any. Momentum is also huge if we get positives results in the first three games then I don’t think the next two will cause us problems.

St J win - they’re a poor side this season should comfortably see them off at home. 3-0
Motherwell draw - this could be a good game with two teams wanting to play good stuff but a bit suspect at the back 2-2.
Killie win - killie have just played hamilton twice and only scored 1 goals in 210 minutes of football Aberdeen Home and St J away for them before us I don’t see it picking up. 0-1
Hearts win. Them at home we need to win and I’ll always back it 1-0
Killie win on pens - momentum hopefully going but killie to stifle us 1-1 AET.

10 points and a cup semi

danhibees1875
19-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Got to love a bed clapper!
Not enough of them about in my opinion

They're less hassle than a happy wetter anyway.

California-Hibs
19-08-2019, 04:43 PM
St Johnstone H - Win
Motherwell A - loss
Kilmarnock A - draw
Hearts H - win
Kilmarnock A (Cup) - Win

Almost certain that's how it'll play out. However I also lose a ton every week on betting 🤷*♂️

Smartie
19-08-2019, 04:49 PM
I've always found Hibs unpredictable but at the moment I think they're more unpredictable than ever.

It wouldn't surprise me if we won them all, likewise it wouldn't surprise me if we went on a howling run and found ourselves in some pretty serious trouble after these games.

Some decent, targeted transfer business to deal with our obvious deficiencies would make me far more confident.

It's interesting though, that's for sure.

Springbank
19-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Hearts are pap. Where on earth are they getting 4 goals from? 🙈🙈

Morton got 3
Rangers got 6
Stirling Albion got one

If we use the remainder of the window well we can get a team capable of competing in a derby.

The Newell chap is not one for a derby
The sub goalie not one for a derby
Jackson I would worry about in a derby

We need a dm next to Vela & allan (mallan on bench)

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Sorry took your advice from the pun discussion on the transfer thread to skip past posts where when the content didn’t interest me so missed your question, thought folk were just giving predictions.

:hilarious

:na na:

calumhibee1
19-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Morton got 3
Rangers got 6
Stirling Albion got one

If we use the remainder of the window well we can get a team capable of competing in a derby.

The Newell chap is not one for a derby
The sub goalie not one for a derby
Jackson I would worry about in a derby

We need a dm next to Vela & allan (mallan on bench)

We also scored 5 at the weekend and have the best attacking player out of both teams in Scott Allan. If people are using us conceding alot as a reason a honking Hearts team are going to stick 4 past us then surely they’ve got to use the fact we’re scoring as a reason for us getting a few as well? Nothing so far this season has pointed to Hearts beating us 4-1 at ER.

ekhibee
19-08-2019, 05:24 PM

And if we get beat in all of them you'll still be happy clapping.

California-Hibs
19-08-2019, 05:43 PM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

You know the Hearts games at Easter Road right??? 1-4 🤣🤣🤣 if you're willing to put on a wager that Hearts won't beat us by 3+ goals I'll happily do any amount of your choice 👍

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2019, 05:44 PM
The problem is that all those winnable games are also much more losable than they were in the Stubbs-Lennon era. And this is because we have chosen a manager who has bought the players and the tactics that have taken us back to the Butcher-Fenton era.

I hope I’m wrong but I very much doubt we’ll be selling more than 10k ST’s next season with this guy at the wheel.

bigwheel
19-08-2019, 05:52 PM
it is very rare that we win 5 games in a row....particularly as our team is yet to gel..

DTS
19-08-2019, 05:52 PM
The problem is that all those winnable games are also much more losable than they were in the Stubbs-Lennon era. And this is because we have chosen a manager who has bought the players and the tactics that have taken us back to the Butcher-Fenton era.

I hope I’m wrong but I very much doubt we’ll be selling more than 10k ST’s next season with this guy at the wheel.

Absolute nonsense. Literally utter garbage. Compare the weekends team to that of the season we went down and it’s night and day. As for Lennon, his last game was a disgrace against Motherwell, he struggled against hearts especially away from home as he persisted to change the team against them. We failed to beat St Johnstone under Lennon and lost both games against them at ER, and we won 1 of 3 games away to killie losing one and the one we lost was one of the worst team selections and performances for a long time.

Yes Heckingbottoms team might not be fully firing yet but let’s not write off a season a few games in and pretend that Neil lennon’s record in these fixtures was anything to write home about

Captain Trips
19-08-2019, 05:56 PM
If we go about our business correctly and set up our team correctly for me all our games during season are winable of course we will lose but beating Celtic away would not shock me if we are savvy.

Wakeyhibee
19-08-2019, 06:32 PM
They're all winnable but very rarely are in one run. I'm looking for a minimum of 4pts and one clean sheet in the next two games.

For me the next 2 games will tell us where we are, we've had 4 friendlies, 5 LC and 2 League games to get up to speed, gel etc...

I've not had a good feeling this season but really hope these games will show us turning a corner.

For the OPs question 7pts and Cup Semi, I'm staying positive for now

Keith_M
19-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Sorry but one game at a time😄

:agree:

hfc rd
19-08-2019, 06:49 PM
St Johnstone - W
Motherwell - L
Kilmarnock - L
Hearts - D
Kilmarnock - W

Stuart93
19-08-2019, 06:54 PM
I’d make a prediction if I knew how we were going to play and lineup from one game to the next!

Silky
19-08-2019, 07:13 PM
4 wins and a loss to hearts would see the hexit campaign become even more divisive.

Really? 12 points from 15 and there would be a clamour for the managers head? Wow.

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Really? 12 points from 15 and there would be a clamour for the managers head? Wow.

9 points and a semi final place :wink:

ekhibee
19-08-2019, 07:53 PM
St Johnstone D
Motherwell L
Kilmarnock D
Hearts L
Kilmarnock D

bingo70
19-08-2019, 07:58 PM
St Johnstone W
Motherwell D
Kilmarnock L
Hearts D
Kilmarnock L

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 08:02 PM
This wasn't meant to be about predictions.

I was trying to gauge what the team needed to achieve in order for the manager to get folk's approval.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2019, 08:17 PM
A minimum of two league wins and a win in the cup and I’ll be relatively happy.

Anything less and I’ll not be best pleased. Anything better, I might start to look at things a bit more positively.

Monts
19-08-2019, 08:19 PM

We've seen a bit of a clamour for his head after 1 loss, to rangers at Ibrox, despite good results elsewhere. I can't see it being too different if we were to lose at home to hearts.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2019, 08:21 PM
We're seeing a bit of a clamour for his head after 1 loss, to rangers at Ibrox, despite good results elsewhere. I can't see it being too different if we were to lose at home to hearts.

There were plenty of people raising concerns before that result in fairness.

bingo70
19-08-2019, 08:28 PM

I was trying to gauge what the team needed to achieve in order for the manager to get folk's approval.

Transfer threads aren’t meant to be about puns but that doesn’t stop you 😉

I don’t know the answer to your question but the problem Heckers will have that if he doesn’t get a good return from these 5 games, that in itself isn’t the end of the world, 5 average/poor results can be salvaged, I’m guessing though that there must be five more difficult games after that. If we don’t get a good return from the next 5 games then he could well never recover.

The way our fixtures are stacked he really needs to be picking up the points during our easier run of fixtures.

The 90+2
19-08-2019, 08:30 PM
I’d make a prediction if I knew how we were going to play and lineup from one game to the next!

Good evening Paul 😉

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 08:44 PM

I don’t know the answer to your question but the problem Heckers will have that if he doesn’t get a good return from these 5 games, that in itself isn’t the end of the world, 5 average/poor results can be salvaged, I’m guessing though that there must be five more difficult games after that. If we don’t get a good return from the next 5 games then he could well never recover.

The way our fixtures are stacked he really needs to be picking up the points during our easier run of fixtures.

Ha ha, very droll, but when did I last post a pun? :na na:

Regards Hecky, he really needs a win on Saturday. Any less and the voices calling for change will get louder and louder.

bingo70
19-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Ha ha, very droll, but when did I last post a pun? :na na:

Regards Hecky, he really needs a win on Saturday. Any less and the voices calling for change will get louder and louder.

A win with an unconvincing performance and I don’t think it’d make much difference, people will say ‘it’s only St Johnstone.......’ like what happened when we beat St Mirren.

I think for the heat to come off him for a bit he needs to be sending the supporters away having really enjoyed the game after a convincing win.

That’s not a criticism of the fans, I’m one of them that still needs to be won over by him and I’ve moaned as much as anyone recently. I just think the reality is a win alone on Saturday won’t be enough, rightly or wrongly.

One Day Soon
19-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Wait, 'Heckers'? :hmmm:

Hibeesmad
19-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Depends who we sign between now and the end of the window

Here’s Lucy!
19-08-2019, 09:21 PM
I reckon we’ll take 10 points from these 5 games.

bingo70
19-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Wait, 'Heckers'? :hmmm:

Yeah, I annoy myself by using that abbreviation, I just can’t bring myself to type out his full name though.

Sorry.

MacGruber
19-08-2019, 09:39 PM

In that case he needs to beat St J at home, get through in the cup and pick up at least a draw in the derby

Hibbyradge
19-08-2019, 09:46 PM
A win with an unconvincing performance and I don’t think it’d make much difference, people will say ‘it’s only St Johnstone.......’ like what happened when we beat St Mirren.

I think for the heat to come off him for a bit he needs to be sending the supporters away having really enjoyed the game after a convincing win.

That’s not a criticism of the fans, I’m one of them that still needs to be won over by him and I’ve moaned as much as anyone recently. I just think the reality is a win alone on Saturday won’t be enough, rightly or wrongly.

You might be right, but a draw or defeat, regardless of performance, and the punters will be revolting.

MacGruber
20-08-2019, 05:48 AM
You know the Hearts games at Easter Road right??? 1-4 🤣🤣🤣 if you're willing to put on a wager that Hearts won't beat us by 3+ goals I'll happily do any amount of your choice 👍

I think I put 0-4 for the The Rangers game prediction. Not that I thought The Rangers were great but because of the glaring holes and fragility of our midfield in defending.

It's the fragility, powder puffness, lightweight of the midfield that has me nervous about a team like Hearts that are a very physical team who won't lack motivation for battle.

I hope I am wrong obviously. There will be no wager. It's bad enough to type it let alone bet against us v them at home. I'd feel like that monstrous wee ugly traitor in the film 300 - and wouldn't even get the compensation of the stunningly attractive scantily clad women...... or juicy grapes!

Borderhibbie76
20-08-2019, 07:29 AM

I hope I’m wrong but I very much doubt we’ll be selling more than 10k ST’s next season with this guy at the wheel.Yeah coz we never slipped up against inferior opposition under Stubbs or lennon did we???

Stubbs see Dumbarton, Alloa Morton QOS and more

Lennon - how many draws in Championship?? How many wins in his last 18 matches in charge??

Things are not perfect at moment but u have a short memory mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Since452
20-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Yeah coz we never slipped up against inferior opposition under Stubbs or lennon did we???

Stubbs see Dumbarton, Alloa Morton QOS and more

Lennon - how many draws in Championship?? How many wins in his last 18 matches in charge??

Things are not perfect at moment but u have a short memory mate

The turgid slog that was Lennons Championship season seems to have been forgotten by a lot of people. Maybe blanked out subconsciously. Think we had 17 draws against butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Was hard going.

PeeJay
20-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Haven't really seen much of the other teams in the upcoming games - but our poor "defence" (sic) means I don't expect too much from the 5 "winnable" games - 6-7 points?

We have some fine individual players who have some fine individual moments, but the "team" isn't really working - not sure it ever will as it is ...

Borderhibbie76
20-08-2019, 09:44 AM
The turgid slog that was Lennons Championship season seems to have been forgotten by a lot of people. Maybe blanked out subconsciously. Think we had 17 draws against butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Was hard going.It sure was mate...we drew our way to that title it felt like sometimes and was a real slog at times. Remember some dreadful home games too against Dumbarton, Morton and the likes

Diclonius
20-08-2019, 09:49 AM
The midfield we have now will get turned over by Hearts.

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Not based on how easily Ross County shredded it. I agree it needs strengthened, but I'm not worried about their midfield that's for sure.

calumhibee1
20-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Not based on how easily Ross County shredded it. I agree it needs strengthened, but I'm not worried about their midfield that's for sure.

There’s no doubting our squad and midfield needs improving. God knows what folk have seen of Hearts to be thinking they’re going to spank us though. We’ve looked better than them so far this season imo, were above them in the league having had to visit Ibrox and we out performed them in the league cup.

The 90+2
20-08-2019, 11:50 AM

They’ve signed a couple of class midfielders since Ross Co. I think they will finish third this season in all honesty. Where the dosh is coming from is another matter. They could easily ****fest a win at ER.

calumhibee1
20-08-2019, 12:00 PM
They’ve signed a couple of class midfielders since Ross Co. I think they will finish third this season in all honesty. Where the dosh is coming from is another matter. They could easily ****fest a win at ER.

They’ve signed a couple of midfielders. The jury is out on whether they’ll be anything close to class up here.

Rangers have signed quite a few class players in recent years. Think Bruno Alves, Kranckjar, Senderos, Barton, some of these guys Pedro brought in and probably a good few others. Scottish football isn’t the place for everyone and the trend doesn’t often favour older guys who weren’t quick in the first place - much like Whelan.

Smartie
20-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Our first choice midfield is ok but needs to buck up its ideas.

It's also paper thin depth wise and we're only an injury or two away from it being about the weakest in the league.

Even a very average Hearts side would win a battle with it.

Derbies have a specific requirement, the idea of going into a derby with only our current midfielders gives me the fear.

The 90+2
20-08-2019, 12:10 PM
They’ve signed a couple of midfielders. The jury is out on whether they’ll be anything close to class up here.

Rangers have signed quite a few class players in recent years. Think Bruno Alves, Kranckjar, Senderos, Barton, some of these guys Pedro brought in and probably a good few others. Scottish football isn’t the place for everyone and the trend doesn’t often favour older guys who weren’t quick in the first place - much like Whelan.

Okay, it seems as if they have signed a couple of very capable players English Championship level.

Liberal Hibby
20-08-2019, 12:10 PM

I know what you're saying and it's kind of imponderable.

Heckingbottom doesn't fill me with confidence. I fear he is a Cathroesque character who may have all the latest coaching ideas and techniques but demostrates an inability to actually coach players. Heckingbottom talks about fitness and a high press and yet we seem pedestrian and laboured - even if we're playing 'pretty' stuff. I just wonder whether he isn't actually better suited to a Director of Football type role where he sets out the team playing style and ethos and oversees the fitness/diet/performance standards and leaves the day to day coaching to someone else.

So I reckon we could continue to get OK results, leak a few goals but score a few more, beat Hearts and knock Killie out of the cup but it wouldn't answer the question...

The 90+2
20-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Our first choice midfield is ok but needs to buck up its ideas.

It's also paper thin depth wise and we're only an injury or two away from it being about the weakest in the league.

Even a very average Hearts side would win a battle with it.

Derbies have a specific requirement, the idea of going into a derby with only our current midfielders gives me the fear.

Allan and Horgan I would have every faith with in the midfield against them. They would win their battles but we would get over crowded and ran over imo. We really really need another midfielder.

Allant1981
20-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Have you seen hearts yet this season, they are not a good team, apart from rangers and celtic there have been no standout performances from anyone yet. At this stage everyone seems to be as good/bad as each other

WhileTheChief..
20-08-2019, 12:37 PM
The problem is that all those winnable games are also much more losable than they were in the Stubbs-Lennon era. And this is because we have chosen a manager who has bought the players and the tactics that have taken us back to the Butcher-Fenton era. .

Totally agree.

Anthony Soprano
20-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Can always rely on.net for a bit positivity:rolleyes:

Anthony Soprano
20-08-2019, 01:01 PM
St Johnstone W - 3-1
Motherwell L - 1-2
Kilmarnock L - 0-2
Hearts L - 1-4
Kilmarnock L - 1-3

Absolutely no chance of Hearts beating anyone 4-1 this season:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Scouse Hibee
20-08-2019, 01:03 PM
The next game is the only one I am thinking about, one game at a time, we’re not good enough to look further ahead.

Northernhibee
20-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Not even remotely close to being true. We're not playing hoofball, we're not signing has beens like Kuqi, Tudor-Jones etc, we're focusing on younger players who the manager and recruitment team think they can mould and if you think the football is as bad as under Butcher then...well.

One Day Soon
20-08-2019, 09:25 PM
The turgid slog that was Lennons Championship season seems to have been forgotten by a lot of people. Maybe blanked out subconsciously. Think we had 17 draws against butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Was hard going.

Irrelevant. This is about what PH has to achieve in these games to make people happy. What went before has nothing to do with it.