PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Morton 17 08 19)

Jonnyboy
17-08-2019, 07:30 PM
It seemed strange to feel downbeat when leaving Easter Road after a 5-3 win but that’s exactly how I felt as I made my way back to my car. It was a strange sort of game as we took a 2-0 lead and were cruising before defensive frailties allowed Morton to pull a goal back whereupon we kinda fell apart a bit and allowed them to equalise before the break. A 3-2 lead was then secured before we allowed ourselves to sit so deep we were under constant pressure as the final minute loomed before we once again shot ourselves in the foot by allowing Morton to equalise and take the game into extra time. Thankfully we got another two goals and secured a place in tomorrow’s draw but I couldn’t help but think that a decent top tier team would have rolled us over. We had loads of chances, spurned them and looked all at sea at the back.

After the Ibrox debacle it was no surprise that Hecky made numerous changes to the starting eleven. Maxwell and Gray started, as did Lewis who got a fine ovation when the teams were being read out. I confess I was surprised he was starting as he hasn’t had any minutes so far this season and sadly it showed in the first half especially, causing me to feel that Hecky had made an error in throwing him straight in after recovering from injury. Further forward there were starting places too for Slivka and of course debutant Middleton who replaced Newell and who lined up wide left with Horgan wide right. Mallan was suspended and Mackie dropped out altogether, perhaps a reflection of his hand ball madness at Ibrox.

There was a bright start from Hibs with much less evidence of sideways and backwards passing. Indeed they moved the ball forward relatively quickly and had clearly been told to involve Middleton as much as possible. Numerous passes found their way to the new man and he showed up well in terms of possession and distribution. An early chance for Kamberi saw him fail to make good contact with a lovely Horgan cross with the goal open before him. It was mostly all Hibs at this point but an injury to McGregor saw him have to be replaced by Jackson. I didn’t see how Daz had injured himself but it looked like it might be a pull of some kind.

The inevitable breakthrough came when Middleton picked out Allan in the box with Scotty taking a touch to steady himself before firing past Rogers. Next, pressure on the left side of the Morton defence allowed Horgan to sneak in behind before cutting the ball back for Vela to score his first goal in Hibs colours. It had been noticeable how often Vela ventured forward with Slivka providing cover for the back four.

I’m not sure whether the players thought the game was in the bag but they reduced in number the flow of forward passes and so invited pressure from Morton. With around five minutes to go until the break, Cadden tied Stevenson in all sorts of knots before firing in a low ball which McHugh poked home from close range. It hadn’t been the best 45 minutes from Lewis but to be fair to him I thought he got better as the game progressed.

As soon as that goal went in it seemed Hibs went into some kind of meltdown and found themselves under increasing pressure with the break approaching. Nesbitt broke free on their left and hit a low ball across the six yard box and I have to say I was amazed that Maxwell didn’t just drop on it to remove the danger. He didn’t and as McHugh tried to capitalise, Stevenson was unlucky to see his attempted clearance come off him and roll over the line. The home fans boos at the break were inevitable and borne purely out of frustration.

Both teams started fairly brightly in the second half but just ten minutes in, Hibs regained the lead. Middleton fed the ball in behind the Morton central defence and Rogers had a rush of blood to the head as he raced from goal only for Kamberi to take possession, round him and fire home from an acute angle.

In fairness, Morton had a real go after that and Hibs had a few narrow escapes whilst at the other end, Murray who’d come on for the tiring Middleton found himself in acres of space at the back post but as he tried to steer the ball home he didn’t give it any elevation and Rogers scrambled across to block with his legs.

With only seconds left to play, a scramble in the Hibs penalty area saw Whittaker try to clear, only to slice the ball into his own net. He’ll get pelters for that no doubt but questions should also be asked of our missing midfield players who allowed the ball to be launched into the box unopposed.

Into extra time and Morton still fancied their chances by piling forward at every opportunity. Lady luck then played a part as Vela clearly fouled his opponent in gaining possession before passing the ball to Allan who sent a lovely ball through the middle whereupon Kamberi outfoxed a defender and scored yet another one on one against an advancing goalkeeper. Morton substitute Tumilty will have thought he’d struck yet another equaliser but a fine save by Maxwell foiled him. Right at the death, Doidge cleverly got in behind his marker and gently lobbed the ball over Rogers and into the empty net to kill off Morton once and for all.

The players

Maxwell – Although beaten by two own goals he wasn’t entirely blameless, for the first of those in particular as he let a ball run past him in the six yard area when he could have simple dropped on it to remove the danger.

Gray – A wholehearted performance from SDG and given his lack of minutes this season it was no surprise when he was replaced by Whittaker with fifteen minutes of normal time remaining.

Daz – Only lasted for around a quarter of an hour or so and so was present when we were controlling the game with some ease.

Hanlon – I’ve long been a fan of Paul but I have to admit his form has not been great for some time now. Yes he played through an injury last season but his performances so far this season have fallen way below his own standards.

Stevenson – Was really struggling in the first half as the pace of the game had him blowing hard but given that was his first appearance of the season I thought he stuck to the task and improved as the game wore on.

Horgan – Another ‘blowing hot and cold’ performance from Daryl. Some of his crosses are first class whilst others are absolutely dreadful. When he was good he was very good but that form seems to come in small bursts while he continues to frustrate me by jumping out of any sort of physical challenge. In fairness though, he was involved in goals today so perhaps I’m being overly harsh on him.

Slivka – For a very long time now I’ve convinced myself that the lad is a player and that he needs a settled run of games to show that. Today he replaced Mallan who gets regular pelters from MB posters but the truth is, Slivka was no better, blew his chance to shine and so that ‘run of games’ will probably never happen.

Vela – Got into advanced positions far more often today and capitalised with his first goal for the club. Ineptitude by referee Alan Muir meant that Vela successfully ‘mugged’ an opponent in the lead up to Hibs’ fourth goal.

Allan – The laddie oozes class but just as at Ibrox last week his frustration at times made him look for the killer ball when an easier pass was on. Having said that, he’s finding the net and long may that continue.

Middleton – I liked what I saw – a lot. Good first touch, neat passing and constant involvement he’ll be a fine addition.

Kamberi – Whether the red tops were right or not in reporting that Basel were ‘poised’ to make an offer of £2m for Flo, it didn’t seem to affect his play in what I felt was his best game in a long while. Two goals, tireless running and effective link up play earned him my man of the match award.

Jackson – The big fella is pretty good in the air for the most part, although it’s slightly alarming on occasion when he gets stuck under the ball defending corners and free kicks into the box. On the couple of times it happened today, he got away with it.

Whittaker – I was pretty disgusted when a couple of fans a few rows back from me actually booed when Whitty entered the fray and followed that up with a few expletive ridden verbal assaults on the guy. I can’t remember a player being treated that way at ER since the equally disgusting treatment dished out to Joe Tortolano.

Murray – I thought Fraser did well enough although he needs to work on the defensive side of his game a bit. He must have thought he’d scored but his care in placing the ball precisely allowed their keeper to recover.

Doidge – Has he made history today in being our first ever fourth substitute? Got the odd nice flick-on and took his goal very well.

Hecky – I’ve no idea what he said after the game and can only assume he’s happy we’re still in the draw.

The fans – Attendance figure was pure guesswork as after yet another debacle at the East Stand turnstiles the stewards eventually just opened the doors for people to pile in.

Alan Muir – To use a phrase oft trotted out on the MB – deary me.

erin go bragh
17-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Agree JB . But thought the East stand linesman was as inept as the ref.
But he did miss Kamberi looking a yard offside for our 4th goal .
It’s all about being in the draw for the quarters .
Both our strikers scored and as you said , Middleton looks like he will be a good addition. Still feel we need a defensive midfielder tho .

AZhibee
17-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy

KinchHibee
17-08-2019, 07:55 PM
I think it was Stockdale who was quoted in the post match interview so still to hear Hecky's thoughts, unless Hibs TV have an interview?

HFC 0-7
17-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Always amazes me how you can provide such a balanced view after bad performances, I need about a week to calm down to be able to give a balanced view. Always look forward to your summary of the games!

Scorrie
17-08-2019, 08:07 PM
I think it was Stockdale who was quoted in the post match interview so still to hear Hecky's thoughts, unless Hibs TV have an interview?

Stockdale did the interview. Heck had a prearranged family appointment according to Hibs Twitter

The Pointer
17-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy for your measured comments which balance out the more feverish comments elsewhere. I always feel I'm on the same wavelength without the shouty pelters others favour.

Jonnyboy
17-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Always amazes me how you can provide such a balanced view after bad performances, I need about a week to calm down to be able to give a balanced view. Always look forward to your summary of the games!

Ach, I'm just too long in the tooth to let Hibs get me down :greengrin

marinello59
17-08-2019, 08:50 PM

Me too.:greengrin
A great summary and pretty much how I saw it.

Sas_The_Hibby
17-08-2019, 08:54 PM

I'm just as 'long in the tooth' as you but still can't manage this sang froid :wink:. Can you bottle it and sell it to fellow fans - at a reasonable price, of course! :greengrin

CMurdoch
17-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the report Jonnyboy.
I attended the Susan Calman show at the BBC instead but kept sneaking peaks at my phone for updates throughout.
Good to hear Middleton did well and that Kamberi seems to be on it.
Our porous defence needs Porteous. His fellow centre half's are making it easy for him to slot right back into the team as soon as fit.

Jonnyboy
17-08-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm just as 'long in the tooth' as you but still can't manage this sang froid :wink:. Can you bottle it and sell it to fellow fans - at a reasonable price, of course! :greengrin

:greengrin

JXM73
17-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Kamberi's open goal was far from an acute angle and the build up to the 4th Sheild out muscled Murray but didnt like it when slivka returned the favour..

Jonnyboy
17-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Kamberi's open goal was far from an acute angle and the build up to the 4th Sheild out muscled Murray but didnt like it when slivka returned the favour..

OK, maybe not acute angle - just a pretty one :wink:

tamig
17-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Agree with most of that summary JB but think you understate Fraser Murray’s need to brush up defensively. He cost us one goal and almost cost us another.

Jonnyboy
17-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Agree with most of that summary JB but think you understate Fraser Murray’s need to brush up defensively. He cost us one goal and almost cost us another.

Good point, well made :aok:

tamig
17-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Kamberi should have squared for Scott Allan for a tap in at 2-0 (I think). He was greedy and had a pop himself that the keeper saved at the near post. Scotty was giving him daggers.

kaimendhibs
17-08-2019, 11:28 PM
We improved greatly when whitty came on. Defence in general was a shambles all game tho.
I've been a critic of Flo but he was outstanding today

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

wookie70
17-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Kamberi should have squared for Scott Allan for a tap in at 2-0 (I think). He was greedy and had a pop himself that the keeper saved at the near post. Scotty was giving him daggers.

Not sure that ball was on looking at the highlights. Allan never made a great run and it would have had to be an amazing ball to find him, Flo did the right thing having a pop imo. The highlights also showed another big decision going against us. Flo was clearly shoved in the back when about to strike centre of the goal with keeper to beat. That might have made it 4-2 and game probably over.

For all Lewis was tormented for the first goal it was poor defending by Jackson in the middle and as Johnny says what was Maxwell doing for their second.

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Brilliant once again Jonnyboy

I too remember the abuse Joe Tortolano took from the terraces back in the day.

A John Blackley signing from WBA

In my humble opinion most of the latest signings at Easter Road couldnae lace his boots

Constantly got pelters from the boo boys but always gave 100%

That is all you can ask for

Posh Hibby
18-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Good report as usual.

I thought Kamberi was superb. Sadly, some really poor performances today, in particular Slivka.

Brightside
18-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Good report as usual.

I thought Kamberi was superb. Sadly, some really poor performances today, in particular Slivka.

Slivka who set up 3 of the goals?

Posh Hibby
18-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Maybe I'm being harsh as he hasn't had many minutes yet, but our midfield didn't control the game in the second half and I felt he was the main reason why.

His pass for Doidges goal was a positive.

JohnM1875
18-08-2019, 07:58 AM
What is folks issue with Whittaker?! He's genuinely been great this season when he's played and always gives us 100%.

Aye, he's slow. That's not going to change. Everyone knows that, but he came on today, calmed things down and got us out of defence going forward with a few excellent passes.

JohnM1875
18-08-2019, 07:59 AM

He wasn't great yesterday though. I always stick up for the boy and really want him to do well. But he won't be starting again anytime soon based on yesterday's performance. Assists included.

500miles
18-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Slivka was good. He's more suited to playing like McGeouch, starting moves, retaining possession, getting away from players putting him under pressure.

I'm still not sure what Vela does. He doesn't bomb forward and back, and he doesn't win loads of 50/50s. I don't think he's reached full fitness as he came in after the majority of preseason was done, so he's got a while yet to show what he's about.

I thought Gray had a shocker, pulling out of challanges and headers, very unlike him. If he's still struggling for fitness, I get that, but Whittaker should have started in that case. Stevenson had a ropey first half, but improved see second.

Doidge took his goal well, but didn't try a leg to close down or relieve pressure. Horgan was a threat whenever he had the ball, and Allan scored and created some really good chances.

Eyrie
18-08-2019, 09:39 AM
What is folks issue with Whittaker?! He's genuinely been great this season when he's played and always gives us 100%.

Aye, he's slow. That's not going to change. Everyone knows that, but he came on today, calmed things down and got us out of defence going forward with a few excellent passes.

Whittaker was the pick of our defence yesterday for the composure he brought.

Gray and Stevenson looked short of match fitness, Hanlon seems to have slipped from the player he was We didn't see much of MacGregor, but Jackson (who will need to up his game once Porteous is fit) struck me as a like for like replacement - solid and limited. I'm happy with that in a centre half because they are there to defend.

JimBHibees
18-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Only 2 was it not 3 and 5. Thought he was ok passing could have been better at times.

bigwheel
18-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Good post..some people are sheep and follow the views of others..some people don’t look at what is happening...merely repeat previously held opinions ...

He brought composure to a struggling back four yesterday ...

Smartie
18-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Good post..some people are sheep and follow the views of others..some people don’t look at what is happening...merely repeat previously held opinions ...

Other than being part of a terrible team performance at Ibrox he's had a very strong start to the season, definitely a bright spot.

Crab apple
18-08-2019, 10:15 AM

I thought Whittaker was good yesterday. I also thought Slivka was okay although he understandably was rusty and needs game time.

Crab apple
18-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Other than being part of a terrible team performance at Ibrox he's had a very strong start to the season, definitely a bright spot.

:agree:

PatHead
18-08-2019, 10:17 AM
:agree:

Probably our most consistent player. Think that the booboys will need to find someone else.

brog
18-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Excellent & objective as ever John. Just to confirm what some other posters have said, I thought the challenge for our 4th goal was excellent, you could see from the direction of the ball that our player, Vela, had clearly played it. Alan Muir, who is an atrocious ref, was actually right next to it & I think called it right for once. We were also certainly denied a blatant penalty for the barge on Flo, the Morton player's body language really confirmed it.
Now I've only seen the highlights but the 5 goals & the 5 passes for the goals were excellent, albeit Rogers helped greatly with the 3rd. We should note that our 2nd goal came from the high press, something we apparently don't do. :greengrin The negatives were (from the highlights) almost all in defence. We probably need a more settled back 4 but it appears SDG & Darren will struggle to get through 90 minutes. Lewis was obviously ring rusty but will improve. Jackson's the one who concerns me most. He allowed Bob (f*****g) McHugh to get in front of him for their 1st goal & lost his man twice on crosses allowing free headers at goals. If that had been Hanlon there would have been several threads criticising him. I think Jackson's decent but I think he (& our other imports) may have been guilty of underestimating both the quality, pace & sheer physicality of our game. Hopefully they'll adjust quickly.
Thanks as ever from a Hibs exile!

Smartie
18-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Excellent & objective as ever John. Just to confirm what some other posters have said, I thought the challenge for our 4th goal was excellent, you could see from the direction of the ball that our player, Vela/Slivka?, had clearly played it. Alan Muir, who is an atrocious ref, was actually right next to it & I think called it right for once. We were also certainly denied a blatant penalty for the barge on Flo, the Morton player's body language really confirmed it.
Now I've only seen the highlights but the 5 goals & the 5 passes for the goals were excellent, albeit Rogers helped greatly with the 3rd. We should note that our 2nd goal came from the high press, something we apparently don't do. :greengrin The negatives were (from the highlights) almost all in defence. We probably need a more settled back 4 but it appears SDG & Darren will struggle to get through 90 minutes. Lewis was obviously ring rusty but will improve. Jackson's the one who concerns me most. He allowed Bob (f*****g) McHugh to get in front of him for their 1st goal & lost his man twice on crosses allowing free headers at goals. If that had been Hanlon there would have been several threads criticising him. I think Jackson's decent but I think he (& our other imports) may have been guilty of underestimating both the quality, pace & sheer physicality of our game. Hopefully they'll adjust quickly.

I've not seen the goals back but I thought at the game Jackson may have been culpable at a couple.

One think I did notice though was that they put an awful lot of balls into the box and it was his heid that was first to the ball on a number of occasions.

brog
18-08-2019, 10:36 AM
I've not seen the goals back but I thought at the game Jackson may have been culpable at a couple.

One think I did notice though was that they put an awful lot of balls into the box and it was his heid that was first to the ball on a number of occasions.

Yes, he was the player who headed ball clear for their 3rd & Fraser Murray needed to be stronger IMO. I think(hope) he'll be ok & our CB pairing will be any 2 from him, Ryan & PH. One wee interesting thing was that the guy taking the long throw in had his foot clearly over the line. The Asst Ref was 2 yards away but was looking into the box, not at the player. The combination of long throw ins, Bob McHugh & Alan Muir still bring me out in a cold sweat!!

malcolm
18-08-2019, 10:42 AM

He also seemed able to ping an accurate long cross field pass which like his overhead goal in pre-season is an added extra for a no nonsense centre half.

fife hfc
18-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Slivka was good. He's more suited to playing like McGeouch, starting moves, retaining possession, getting away from players putting him under pressure.

I'm still not sure what Vela does. He doesn't bomb forward and back, and he doesn't win loads of 50/50s. I don't think he's reached full fitness as he came in after the majority of preseason was done, so he's got a while yet to show what he's about.

Agree with this 100%. Slivka was better than Vela, who apart from his goal was not visible at all. Slivka starts the moves and keeps the ball flowing, nothing spectacular but simple to move the ball on. Vela never got on the ball and the only two incidents I remember is the goal and tackle for the 4th. Problem is neither will dominate a midfield and drive the team forward.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brightside
18-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Excellent & objective as ever John. Just to confirm what some other posters have said, I thought the challenge for our 4th goal was excellent, you could see from the direction of the ball that our player, Vela, had clearly played it. Alan Muir, who is an atrocious ref, was actually right next to it & I think called it right for once. We were also certainly denied a blatant penalty for the barge on Flo, the Morton player's body language really confirmed it.
There was loads of people criticising Hanlon. Unless Hanlon is foot perfect he will always get slagged on here.

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Yes, he was the player who headed ball clear for their 3rd & Fraser Murray needed to be stronger IMO. I think(hope) he'll be ok & our CB pairing will be any 2 from him, Ryan & PH. One wee interesting thing was that the guy taking the long throw in had his foot clearly over the line. The Asst Ref was 2 yards away but was looking into the box, not at the player. The combination of long throw ins, Bob McHugh & Alan Muir still bring me out in a cold sweat!!

That last sentence had me reaching for my first glass of the evening

dangermouse
19-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Your whole foot has to be over the line for it to be a foul throw I think. Sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny :greengrin

Brightside
19-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Your whole foot has to be over the line for it to be a foul throw I think. Sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny :greengrin

Correct - any part of the foot needs to be on the line. Both feet must be on the ground also.

IWasThere2016
19-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Thanks JC .. I avoid the Beeb, Press and wait for this from you. :top marks

hibbyfraelibby
19-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Slivka was a key player . Many just dont want to see it as it goes against their agenda. The more he's played the better the team.plays.

Unseen work
20-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Bit of an odd game, we dominated the vast majority of the game and I never felt particularly threatened by anything they were doing, yet somehow they got 3 goals.

Our defending as a whole was terrible, each one of the defenders looked nervous, couldn’t clear the ball and the most worrying thing for me was the positions they were getting dragged into. Hanlon was caught in no mans land on countless occasions which stretched our defence and gave them hope. The lot of them need to calm down and get back to basics.

I think we played well and probably the best I have seen us this season. Heckingbottom will get stick as normal on here but for me the players need to take responsibility. 2 own goals and defending like that is down to individual errors and not concentrating, it’s as if once we went 2-0 up they stopped the intensity and thought it was won.

I think it also showed we have signs of a good team, good options all over the park going forward, some great play and passes from several players. If a defensive midfielder was signed we would really pick up pace imo. For as good as we were it just highlights how poor we were defensively, our defence seem shaky any time the ball is near our box.

The players

Maxwell - I’m not too convinced, he just makes me nervous. Did the first goal go under him?

Defence - Doing them collectively as they were all as bad as each other and as Iv said above got dragged all over the place. They let the fans groans get to them and started making very poor decisions. The 3 goals we conceded were amateur hour. It’s worrying for me how poor Hanlon has been recently, getting dragged into really bad positions, making our defence stretched and his distribution has been brutal. Nice to see Lewy back and that game will do him the world of good. Any word on Grays injury?

Slivka - 2 great passes, one to Middleton for Allan’s goal and one for Doidge for his goal. Also an assist for Kamberi which got the defence turning. Showed good legs and energy in midfield, for as good as some of his passes were, boy is he careless at times and almost gets caught/gives the ball away in poor positions.

Vela - I really like him, buzzes about the pitch and makes a lot of good tackles. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves imo as he is doing the job of 2 men in there. Showed he has a fantastic range of passing in him with some brilliant passes. Took his goal very well.

Allan - Touch and passes were a bit sloppy at times, but then again he provided so much quality with his goal, assist and countless other passes which lead to opportunities. Him getting on the scoresheet so often since his return is really promising.

Horgan - Got an assist but was a disappointing performance for me, some simple passes/crosses in good positions that he made a meal of

Middleton - Really liked what I seen, is a great out ball and has a wonderful touch and left foot. Gives really good balance to the team and will do really well for us imo.

Kamberi - Brilliant. That’s the player we know. It’s actually scary how far he came off the boil last season.

Murray - Seems to have got a bit of a hard time about the 3rd goal. It was a bouncing ball going away from him and dropping awkwardly, he certainly never bottled it imo. I was really happy with his contribution, was very good on the ball, created chances and unlucky not to score.

Doidge - Won his headers, held the ball up and took his goal brilliantly, could see how much it meant to him. Hopefully he kicks on now with the confidence from scoring.

Whittikar - So calm and composed on the ball, sometimes gets caught as I think he doesn’t realise he doesn’t have the legs he used to. It’s a bit concerning how he seems to be our best fit defender at present though.

As Iv said, I think we have the makings of a good team there. With Aberdeen not seeming as good and an unknown hearts team 3rd is really up for grabs. We really need to kick on and get another couple in and really push the budget. A defensive midfielder is essential, a striker in for Shaw is also high on the list imo. McGregor is now out for a while too, is grays injury bad? Will we go for another centre half?

I think once Porteous, James and Boyle are back we will look much healthier. James has the composure were lacking, Porteous has the defensive ability to win everything that were lacking and Boyle with his pace and directness however he will likely be out a while.

CMurdoch
20-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Unseen work, good write up and a bit of relief from the doom merchants.
Once the transfer window closes i will assess the squads of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen and try to predict what order they will finish between 3rd and 5th
I think we will wait right to the last couple of days before bringing one or two in.
Expect the defensive mid brought in to be decent quality. Kind of wishing we had kept Milligan although the fly in the ointment with him is that Australia have lots of games this season which is no use to us.

Unseen work
20-08-2019, 11:52 PM
Unseen work, good write up and a bit of relief from the doom merchants.
Once the transfer window closes i will assess the squads of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen and try to predict what order they will finish between 3rd and 5th
I think we will wait right to the last couple of days before bringing one or two in.
Expect the defensive mid brought in to be decent quality. Kind of wishing we had kept Milligan although the fly in the ointment with him is that Australia have lots of games this season which is no use to us.

I hope you’re right, I don’t imagine Heckingbottom is naive enough to go into the season without another centre mid in there, one the can really dominate a game and enjoys the defensive side. Vela seems to like it, but he also wants to get forward and score goals which he seems good at.

Bartley was excellent at doing the dirt things and allowing others to play, I can imagine we will go for someone of his ilk as I think he will want more energy and better on the Ball than him.

Get a quality player in there and it would make such a difference imo. It would also calm the defence down knowing they have a protector in there.

I think Mark O’Hara would be a good bit of business as he has the energy Hecky likes but I’d also like someone with a bit more bite and quality

CMurdoch
21-08-2019, 01:25 AM
I hope you’re right, I don’t imagine Heckingbottom is naive enough to go into the season without another centre mid in there, one the can really dominate a game and enjoys the defensive side. Vela seems to like it, but he also wants to get forward and score goals which he seems good at.

Bartley was excellent at doing the dirt things and allowing others to play, I can imagine we will go for someone of his ilk as I think he will want more energy and better on the Ball than him.

Get a quality player in there and it would make such a difference imo. It would also calm the defence down knowing they have a protector in there.

I think Mark O’Hara would be a good bit of business as he has the energy Hecky likes but I’d also like someone with a bit more bite and quality

I like O'Hara as well. Over 6ft tall, drives from the midfield and scores goals.
My only issue with him is I don't think he is a defensive midfielder and that's what we need, we need a tough tackling sitter with good distribution skills.
Heckingbottom will know what he needs but quality costs. Personally, if they have identified the right player and so long as the cost to get and pay him isn't exorbitant the club should bring him in because even us dafties can see where the major discrepancy is in the team. I don't think it is something that can keep until the January window.
Fingers crossed for the right player.