PDA

View Full Version : The High Press

Leith Green
17-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Heckingbottom spoke of this high pressing game. All i am seeing is Scott Allan running about trying to press high up the park with no support from behind him. Surely they should be pressing as a unit or not at all. We look all over the shop when we dont have possession, this needs addressed immediately or we will continue to leak goals.

bingo70
17-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Heckingbottom spoke of this high pressing game. All i am seeing is Scott Allan running about trying to press high up the park with no support from behind him. Surely they should be pressing as a unit or not at all. We look all over the shop when we dont have possession, this needs addressed immediately or we will continue to leak goals.

I thought Morton did it quite well today.

Agree completely about it only being Allan doing it for us.

neil7908
17-08-2019, 05:54 PM
It's been painfully absent. I'd be interested to know his thoughts on this.

Are the players not following instructions? Is this how he wants us to play? Is he easing us into this new system?

Robbo6-2
17-08-2019, 05:55 PM
There is no high press

Leith Green
17-08-2019, 05:57 PM
There is no high press

It looked clear to me that allan is pressing and the midfield behind arent

SingaporeHibs
17-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Agree, Allan was working his socks off chasing down the ball. A lot of the time there was quite a gap between him and the next supporting player that too often was still sitting too deep.

Mr Grieves
17-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Allan was pressing, Slivka and Vela offered nothing when Morton were in possession

Eyrie
17-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Correct. Kamberi is the only other player who tries to press.

It's ineffective if only one player is doing it.

yonder1875
17-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Total myth.

Leith Green
17-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Correct. Kamberi is the only other player who tries to press.

It's ineffective if only one player is doing it.

We were all over the shop today at times , same as last week at ibrox. Some people said that can happen against a good side , but today was against a championship side. Its nowhere ****ing near good enough , we look totally all over the place.

CloudSquall
17-08-2019, 06:07 PM
It's fake news.

norhfc
17-08-2019, 06:40 PM
I have only seen our opposition doing it very well against us so far this season. Seems they have all done their homework, and it works because we are so slow and no too confident tbh.

Captain Trips
17-08-2019, 06:42 PM
I'd just like to be impressed tbbh. 3 goals at home to Morton. Not really good enough

Keith_M
17-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Thought it pains me to say it, The Rangers did this incredibly well last week.

The last time I've seen Hibs successfully press another side was when we beat Celtc last December. Got an early goal with this exact tactic and used it to great effect to hardly allow Celtc back into the game the whole 90 minutes..

Done properly, it's a fantastic tactic. It's just that it's not really what we're actually doing, at least not as a team.

I think Heckingbottom made a rod for his own back with claims of a 'high press' and of fitness levels we've never seen before.

Jones28
17-08-2019, 07:08 PM
The high press is only going to work when the whole team does it. We have seen it work, especially against Celtic in the last few times we’ve beaten them at Easter road.

SingaporeHibs
17-08-2019, 07:14 PM
It’s possible the high press was Heckys plan when he said it but has since realised the players/squad we have aren’t suited or capable of playing that way. There is no evidence so far of us even trying to play it. There is no excuse for not having the fitness to do it but it also requires the right formation and skill set in the right areas to make it work properly. If you play the high press without the necessary skill set in the team then you leave yourself open to be picked off, particularly against the better teams. Given how fragile the defence is looking, Hecky may have seen this weakness in training and decided they need more protection so have the team set up more defensively with the idea of picking off opposition on the break or when we have our opportunities with the ball.

Keith_M
17-08-2019, 07:19 PM
It’s possible the high press was Heckys plan when he said it but has since realised the players/squad we have aren’t suited or capable of playing that way. There is no evidence so far of us even trying to play it. There is no excuse for not having the fitness to do it but it also requires the right formation and skill set in the right areas to make it work properly. If you play the high press without the necessary skill set in the team then you leave yourself open to be picked off, particularly against the better teams. Given how fragile the defence is looking, Hecky may have seen this weakness in training and decided they need more protection so have the team set up more defensively with the idea of picking off opposition on the break or when we have our opportunities with the ball.

It's entirely possible he's done what you said, but the team that started today is pretty much the same as the one that beat Celtc using this tactic last December, so it would make me question his judgement.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2019, 07:21 PM

His signings should have suited what he wanted to do. Don’t sign players like Newell if you want to play a pressing game.

If he’s adapted it to give the defence more protection then that isn’t working either!