PDA

View Full Version : Any Morton memories

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 11:07 AM
...any Morton memories ?

Other than always seemingly to be cold and wet at games in cappielow

recall well their good team of the late 70s..Andy Ritchie, Dom Sullivan etc. What a player Ritchie was ..

Conrad Gray
17-08-2019, 11:11 AM
...any Morton memories ?

recall well their good team of the late 70s..Andy Ritchie, Dom Sullivan etc. What a player Ritchie was ..

Andy Goram scoring with a goal kick on the last day of the season against them.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 11:12 AM

So he did ! [emoji106]. Had forgotten that one

tamig
17-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Pedant alert. It wasn’t a goal kick sorry.

Conrad Gray
17-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Pedant alert. It wasn’t a goal kick sorry.

Don't be sorry, you are quite correct.

stantonsboots
17-08-2019, 11:15 AM
I seem to remember a proper stand up fight between Roy Barry and some Morton player in the mid to late 70s (just like the Francis Lee Norman Hunter one)

The 90+2
17-08-2019, 11:17 AM
David Groff and surrendering our league cup in a mental match.

berwickhibee
17-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Paul mcgovern scoring at cappielow.

And as mentioned goram scoring against them in a 3-1 victory at easter road, that day im sure duff and gray were in the east terracing.

Keith_M
17-08-2019, 11:20 AM
I remember going to Cappielow, last game of the season, 1982.

They played our a thoroughly boring 0-0 in front of about 1,600 fans.

My earliest recollection is about two years before, a game at Easter Road with literally NO away fans. They had decided to boycott ER because of the (pre casual era) violence.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 11:21 AM

And as mentioned goram scoring against them in a 3-1 victory at easter road, that day im sure duff and gray were in the east terracing.

Was at that game - another freezing night if I recall correctly Thought he was going to be our next star ...

G B Young
17-08-2019, 11:21 AM
...any Morton memories ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_AhNFqjzds

Remember him well. Spent most of his career at Morton after being released by Celtic. I'm sure he retired when he was still in his 20s. A guy with terrific talent but lazy to boot IIRC.

Think I recall John Brogan scoring what might have been his only Hibs goal against Morton at Easter Road.

MartinfaePorty
17-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Going through to Cappielow for the first time, around 1987, in driving rain and game after game was being announced as postponed on the radio. Turned out ours was ok but the conditions were far from the best. Morton had a couple of Scandinavians playing for them, one who had a tremendous shot (think Goram mentioned in his autobiography one of the shots he saved numbed his arm with the force). Anyway, they went 1 up, but we equalised through Paul McGovern who scored what I think was his only competitive goal for Hibs. Went back to watch a game about 10 years later and the ground hadn't changed. Still not sure it has!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

supershotmo
17-08-2019, 11:25 AM
McLeish days

1st game in the 1st division. Sure we scored late on in a 1 nil win.

Barry Lavety was getting pelters
from the Morton fans

HibsTalk
17-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Cold December, horrendous performance and Kris Commons scoring an equaliser.

DanishJohn
17-08-2019, 11:26 AM
...any Morton memories ?

I remember seeing them at ER mid 60's and thought they were brilliant.
They wore light blue satin shorts and a they had a team with a few Vikings in it !

AgentDaleCooper
17-08-2019, 11:27 AM
McLeish days

from the Morton fans

yup, i was there with my grandad. he was vegetarian, so his only option at the pie stand was a cheeseburger without the burger :aok:

Radium
17-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Front row of the ‘Father and son’ section in the old main stand. Two Norwegians played but my memory is Ritchie skying a penalty at the shed end. Sure we won 2-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weir07
17-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Was at that game - another freezing night if I recall correctly Thought he was going to be our next star ...

I was there too, it was freezing but sure it was a 3pm Saturday kick off, ended about an 8 game goal drought for Hibs if memory serves.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 11:35 AM
I was there too, it was freezing but sure it was a 3pm Saturday kick off, ended about an 8 game goal drought for Hibs if memory serves.

Probably was. Just recall it being wet and cold ...[emoji2][emoji106]

heretoday
17-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Hibs fans wrecked a train after losing to Morton in a League Cup semi in 1963.

The Tons went on to lose 5-0 to Rangers in the final. Four goals for Jim Forrest in front of a 105,000 crowd at Hampden.

Hibernia&Alba
17-08-2019, 11:44 AM
I seem to remember a proper stand up fight between Roy Barry and some Morton player in the mid to late 70s (just like the Francis Lee Norman Hunter one)

You just never get a proper square go in today's sanitised game, where stepping on somebody's toe is a booking.

Any other good punch ups folk remember?

Iggy Pope
17-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Isak Refvik has my scarf. Gave it to him after a joyous debut in a 2nd leg victory. Andy Ritchie missed a penalty IIRC.

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Cold December, horrendous performance and Kris Commons scoring an equaliser.

Was Cummings who scored

The 90+2
17-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Did we play Morton or Clydebank at Cappilow in the cup the year we came back up? League cup during the week I think? Freezing and torture.

Smartie
17-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Barry Prenderville scoring a raker at ER.

My memory of it is actually missing it as I was away getting the pies at that point. There is a bit of me still suspects it never happened and the entire Hibs support is having a laugh at my expense.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2019, 11:50 AM
I remember Gudmundur Torfason scoring a cracker of a free kick @ ER, I'm clutching at straws a bit but Gordon Hunter might've scored a goal on the volley from the edge of the box in the same game.

Hibernia&Alba
17-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Was Cummings who scored

Aye, I think it was. I love Cappielow, it's an old school stadium and there aren't many left. It was freezing cold that day.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Aye, I think it was. I love Cappielow, it's an old school stadium and there aren't many left. It was freezing cold that day.

Good boozers beside the station too. 🍺

Smartie
17-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Morton away is one of my favourite away games.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Did we play Morton or Clydebank at Cappilow in the cup the year we came back up? League cup during the week I think? Freezing and torture.

I’m sure it was Clydebank, it this was around the McLeish era
Think their manager had to play in goals for them, as their keeer was injured. Hubs won 3-0

Hibby Bairn
17-08-2019, 11:58 AM
My first ever Hibs game was v Morton at ER (circa 1973 aged 5!). Won 5-0.

iwasthere1972
17-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Got a few. Travelled through to Greenock on Milton Mowbray coach a few years ago despite the weather forecast being atrocious. Wind speed 50mph and raining cats and dogs. Big cats and dogs as well. Got picked up at Waterloo Place for the journey to Greenock. Got within ten minutes of the stadium when it was announced that the game was postponed due to the weather of course. I think their groundsman kept saying that there is no chance that the game would be called off but he was wrong. We all went to a club not far from the ground to down a few pints. It was a struggle. Secretly I was pleased that the game got called off as I wasn't looking forward to sitting in the open air getting blown away and pished on. Would have been my first time back there since the Bay City Rollers hit the big time. Shang a Lang.

The 90+2
17-08-2019, 12:18 PM
I’m sure it was Clydebank, it this was around the McLeish era
Think their manager had to play in goals for them, as their keeer was injured. Hubs won 3-0

Thanks! My first away match 👍

Weegreenman
17-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Cold, windy and sleet. Us playing utter ***** and them scoring the only goal. Sometime in the late Eighties I think.

DickieDastardly
17-08-2019, 12:25 PM
McLeish days

from the Morton fans

it was in injury time goal, we were leaving and standing at the top of the terracing when Barry scored, I leapt in the air to celebrate and blootered my head of the old fashioned goalposts type sign at the top of the stairs which identified the aisle numbers....

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Some great memories coming back here. Cheers ! [emoji106][emoji106]

Pretty Boy
17-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Got a few. Travelled through to Greenock on Milton Mowbray coach a few years ago despite the weather forecast being atrocious. Wind speed 50mph and raining cats and dogs. Big cats and dogs as well. Got picked up at Waterloo Place for the journey to Greenock. Got within ten minutes of the stadium when it was announced that the game was postponed due to the weather of course. I think their groundsman kept saying that there is no chance that the game would be called off but he was wrong. We all went to a club not far from the ground to down a few pints. It was a struggle. Secretly I was pleased that the game got called off as I wasn't looking forward to sitting in the open air getting blown away and pished on. Would have been my first time back there since the Bay City Rollers hit the big time. Shang a Lang.

I was on the same bus that day.

Remember the Police saying there were no issues related to the weather near the ground despite Morton fans being all over Twitter posting pictures of the roads around the stadium being completely flooded. Somebody must have finally put their bacon roll down about 1.30 and checked and the game was called off about 1.32.

JohnMcM
17-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Can't remember the year, but League Cup, 2-2 after 90 minutes, they won 4-2.

:flag:

Forza Fred
17-08-2019, 12:31 PM
League Cup semi final at Hampden.
Neil Martin scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, but also broke his wrist.
Think it was circa 1964.
Morton were a division lower but absolutely walking their league.
Unfortunately we lost the replay 1-0 and it may even have been McGraw who put us out.

Bishop Hibee
17-08-2019, 12:39 PM
First league game of the 98/99 season after relegation was midweek away to Morton. Big Hibs support rewarded with an added time winner from Barry Lavety in a 0-1 victory.

tamig
17-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Remember a game at Cappieliow in the 79/80 relegation season just before Christmas. A big Hibs crowd went through hoping to see the Georgie Boy again. Unfortunately it was his first no show for us and the game ended up 2-0 to Morton.

surreyhibbie
17-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Went through withe the Musselburgh bus and took a Jambo mate with us.

Absolutely pissed down, won 3-0

Jimmy o'rourke hat trick?

Jambo said Jimmy did nothing except score ... Muppet.

Roxyhibee
17-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Isak Refvik has my scarf. Gave it to him after a joyous debut in a 2nd leg victory. Andy Ritchie missed a penalty IIRC.

A bit more on the Isak bit please..?

Keith_M
17-08-2019, 01:20 PM

I liked it better when we were allocated part of the covered terrace. There was always enough space for the visiting Hibbies in there when it rained (which was nearly every time).

Since452
17-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Remember Barry Lavety's late winner there in first game of our First Division adventure in 98

jgl07
17-08-2019, 01:31 PM
The match at Easter Road when Chris Hogg was assaulted on the edge of the penalty area and a free kick was given to Morton. They scored the winner from that free kick.

Gmack7
17-08-2019, 01:31 PM
I remember mid 80s(vaguely)getting refused entry into the hibs end at Morton as i was blootered, i went in the Home end, drink in moderation kids🍺👍

Bangkok Hibby
17-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Not a memory (obviously) but the first ever league match at Easter road was against Morton

Alfiembra
17-08-2019, 02:19 PM
League Cup semi final at Hampden.
Neil Martin scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, but also broke his wrist.
Think it was circa 1964.
Morton were a division lower but absolutely walking their league.
Unfortunately we lost the replay 1-0 and it may even have been McGraw who put us out.

Remember Alan McGraw well when he was with Hibs also recall we got John Madsen from them absolute rock of a centre half. Was an era when Morton were regularly giving lots of Scandinavian players a start in Scotland.

Orourke73
17-08-2019, 02:30 PM
...any Morton memories ?

I mind a game in the 80s about Christmas time, Roughie was in goals and we were getting beat 4-0 at half-time.went to the boozer which was packed with hibees and had a Barry sing-song

Colr
17-08-2019, 02:49 PM
...any Morton memories ?

Saw Andy Ritchie play with Ally MacLeod as the two overage players for Scotland U-21s at Easter Road against Norway when I was a kid.

Much skill from the chubby two!!

majorhibs
17-08-2019, 04:54 PM
First league game of the 98/99 season after relegation was midweek away to Morton. Big Hibs support rewarded with an added time winner from Barry Lavety in a 0-1 victory.

We got engaged 2 wks before. Bought ring & waited for delivery anytime. Above game was a Tuesday night. I was leaving to work offshore following day. Told her I was going to ALL games this season to see the boys promoted. Ring arrives Tues. morning. I told her she could come to Greenock with me with her new ring ring f she wanted, & the morn I’d be offski to work. It absolute p**d down all day & night, & Cappelow (sp) was dismal. Late winner tho fi Barry Lavety! We never wed.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Saw Andy Ritchie play with Ally MacLeod as the two overage players for Scotland U-21s at Easter Road against Norway when I was a kid.

Much skill from the chubby two!!

Yes!! Remember that. Overage players if I recall correctly...

wallpaperman
17-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Remember sitting in the main stand at Cappielow, probably 25 years ago, awful game, but just sat along from the great Arthur Montford. Legend.

hibby6270
17-08-2019, 06:21 PM
The match at Easter Road when Chris Hogg was assaulted on the edge of the penalty area and a free kick was given to Morton. They scored the winner from that free kick.

That’s the game that sticks in my mind. Not to dissimilar to today’s game. Only difference of course was the final score. They won that game 4-3 from the free kick “that should never have been”. Could well have gone the same way today!!:rolleyes:

There was also a game in the late 60s/early 70s where I was “seriously” thinking of switching allegiance to another club. Thankfully we beat Morton 5-0 that day and the rest, as they say, is history. Never regretted that slight wobble since LOL!! :greengrin

Bradford
17-08-2019, 06:23 PM
I remember Gudmundur Torfason scoring a cracker of a free kick @ ER, I'm clutching at straws a bit but Gordon Hunter might've scored a goal on the volley from the edge of the box in the same game.

You are correct. Early 1990s. We won 4-3 after being 3-1 behind. Hunter's goal was a thing of beauty.

tamig
17-08-2019, 07:36 PM

Gunni Torfason played for St Mirren. Think he played for St J too but never Morton. He did score a few against us though.

Iggy Pope
17-08-2019, 10:08 PM
You are correct. Early 1990s. We won 4-3 after being 3-1 behind. Hunter's goal was a thing of beauty.

St Mirren.

Iggy Pope
17-08-2019, 10:15 PM
A bit more on the Isak bit please..?

Well him and his mate Sven came over to us one winter from Norway......
They were very good indeed. Made their debuts in the 2nd leg of a LC tie against Morton.
Wee Isak got the winner to put us through. 2-1 aggregate.
He was mobbed outside the players entrance after the game and even though I was maybe about the same height as him I reckon he was big enough to get my scarf. Des Bremner was alongside him IIRC and found this hilarious.
Hope he still has it.
The government later robbed us of him.

majorhibs
17-08-2019, 10:29 PM
They were very good indeed. Made their debuts in the 2nd leg of a LC tie against Morton.
He was mobbed outside the players entrance after the game and even though I was maybe about the same height as him I reckon he was big enough to get my scarf. Des Bremner was alongside him IIRC and found this hilarious.
Hope he still has it.

That night - all night- chanting Isak Isak with fists in the air, it felt like we were off to conquer everything with our new Scandinavian players, but red tape killed it! Tragic at the time. That looked like a potential V good Hibs team wi them!

Roxyhibee
17-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Hope he still has it.

Yes, remember him and Svien well and the buzz about them bringing some class and glamour to us when we were in post Tornadoes depression. The work permit situation was so disappointing - I kept thinking ach someone will sort it out and we’ll get them back.

Just wondered how he ended up with your scarf. Excellent. Well hopefully he still has it - think scarves were a bit more precious back then.

Iggy Pope
17-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Yes, remember him and Svien well and the buzz about them bringing some class and glamour to us when we were in post Tornadoes depression. The work permit situation was so disappointing - I kept thinking ach someone will sort it out and we’ll get them back.

Just wondered how he ended up with your scarf. Excellent. Well hopefully he still has it - think scarves were a bit more precious back then.

They were certainly better.

hibby_bry
17-08-2019, 11:15 PM
McLeish days

from the Morton fans
Scott Bannerman. Good player and big Hibby

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2019, 07:21 AM
II remember back in the early seventies watching the great Bobby Collins playing for Morton at Easter Road in the twilight of his careeer

The guy was quality oozed class had stacks of time on the ball and just strolled through the game spraying passes all over the pitch

Worth the admission money alone

Legend!

SideBurns
18-08-2019, 07:43 AM

Was at Cappielow when McGovern equalised late on; have a feeling it might have been our first away goal in something like 9 games, during a particularly tortuous period of Alex Miller's tenure? Hibs crowd under the old shed went radio rental when the goal went in!

Bradford
18-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Gunni Torfason played for St Mirren. Think he played for St J too but never Morton. He did score a few against us though.

Sorry for the duff info here. I had a lightbulb moment late last night that I was wrong. The 4-3 game was against St Mirren but Gordon Hunter's goal was wonderful though.

Phil MaGlass
18-08-2019, 09:05 AM
The smell when yi got aff the bus, place was honking, Im 52 and havent been there for over 35 yrs, I can still smell it. Yeuch

Peanut Shaz
18-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Myself, husband and son went through to Grenock for a midweek game roughly 20 years ago. Husband would be about age 40. Weather was miserable, freezing cold, heavy rain etc. Got to the turnstiles and he went through the father and son gate as it was cheaper. On the other side he thought he had been given too much change then realised that he'd been charged as an OAP!!. He blames the fact that he had on a ski hat, jacket hood up and scarf on. We just say he looked an old git. He will be 60 in a couple of weeks and is still be paying full price 20 years on. 😂😂

Killiehibbie
18-08-2019, 11:32 AM
The smell when yi got aff the bus, place was honking, Im 52 and havent been there for over 35 yrs, I can still smell it. Yeuch

You'd be a bit surprised how the Riviera de Clyde looks now.

I remember them having a one man singing section in the shed.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Aye, right enough.

iwasthere1972
19-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Having read all the posts it's either been freezing, windy, sleet, pissing down with rain, the ground smelt, the place was honking, we got beat, we were crap etc etc, I'm surprised that we had any supporters turn up. Jeez it's almost as bad as Cowdenbeath.

tamig
19-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Having read all the posts it's either been freezing, windy, sleet, pissing down with rain, the ground smelt, the place was honking, we got beat, we were crap etc etc, I'm surprised that we had any supporters turn up. Jeez it's almost as bad as Cowdenbeath.

I remember a game in the winter and Tony Rougier looked like a sumo wrestler with the amount of layers he had on. Pitch was like an ice rink.

bythecringe
19-08-2019, 05:08 PM
...any Morton memories ?

Only time I went there was late 1960s (?) and we had a lad called Jack Reilly in goals. Wasn’t a top keeper but he had a decent game that night. Rarely seen after that but heard some years later he was a millionaire due to the work he did. So there is life after football - and much more profitable. Anyone know if he is that rich?

bigwheel
19-08-2019, 05:21 PM

I don't think I have any sunny memories of Cappielow...possibly my mind playing tricks - but I only recall freezing, wet or snowy times there....

Scorrie
19-08-2019, 05:35 PM
I remember a game at ER v Morton from about 1984 when we won 5-1. Must have been the coldest day in years. Absolutely Baltic. Even when the 5th went in I couldn’t be bothered taking hands of pocket to applaud. Think Colin Harris scored 2 IIRC

DMH0762
19-08-2019, 05:41 PM
The hereto aforementioned 5-0 drubbing at ER circa 1968/69, Joe McBride (Snr) scored an absolute stonker. Volley on the turn from left hand corner of the !8 yard box.

Smartie
19-08-2019, 07:02 PM
I don't think I have any sunny memories of Cappielow...possibly my mind playing tricks - but I only recall freezing, wet or snowy times there....

We played there just before getting promoted a couple of years ago.

Glorious sunny day, it was a braw day oot.

Iirc the first game of the "great adventure" relegation season was a nice, sunny August evening in Greenock.

bigwheel
19-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Iirc the first game of the "great adventure" relation season was a nice, sunny August evening in Greenock.

Cheers Smartie. Can’t recall that one Probably still had my gloves scarf and hat on [emoji2]

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-08-2019, 07:16 PM

The Tons went on to lose 5-0 to Rangers in the final. Four goals for Jim Forrest in front of a 105,000 crowd at Hampden.

I was at that game, train left from Leith Central Station IIRC

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2019, 07:21 PM

:wtf:

Kato
19-08-2019, 07:22 PM

Went to Dumbarton for a game, early 80's. Glorious sunshine everywhere but a look across the Clyde showed one huge rain-cloud right above Greenock.

bigwheel
19-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Went to Dumbarton for a game, early 80's. Glorious sunshine everywhere but a look across the Clyde showed one huge rain-cloud right above Greenock.

[emoji2].

Liberal Hibby
19-08-2019, 07:32 PM
I was at that game, train left from Leith Central Station IIRC

I don't think it did as Leith Central closed to passengers in the 1950s. Sorry for the pedantry.

tamig
19-08-2019, 08:14 PM
I don't think it did as Leith Central closed to passengers in the 1950s. Sorry for the pedantry.

Were fitba fans not cattle class though?

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-08-2019, 08:19 PM

That's OK mate I'm probably having a senior moment 🤔👍

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2019, 07:22 AM

Iirc the first game of the "great adventure" relegation season was a nice, sunny August evening in Greenock.

Not sure if that was first game. I left before the end to get a flyer and missed Lavety's goal. Fun times.